• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think the biggest piece of evidence for Geno is the 2 copyright claims made by Nintendo on SMRPG songs. Square has been consistent in only giving 2 songs per game/character and this would make sense why Nintendo made the claim as they would have some sort of rights to them for Smash.

I dunno if I buy the "starling" image as Geno evidence.
I just don’t think this constitutes evidence when those two tracks have only been hit one one channel that was specifically been targeted by Nintendo in the past. We’re almost a month removed since that “claim” was made and we haven’t seen them go any further. No other versions have been hit despite all of them potentially following under the same umbrella, versions that have been up for 8 years are still available.

This doesn’t compare to the Banjo situation last fall because those were advertised as Smash Bros, which Nintendo has an infinitely more vested interest in policing since Smash is actually their game and they don’t want false information being spread or advertised.

It might be worth some attention if they take down more, but they’ve not touched it at all.

Well if you take this picture below into account.

View attachment 234421

A bonus fighter doesn't seem that impossible of an idea for Geno.
I fail to see how that photo says anything. We’ve determined they only apply the new tags to when those pages get updated and the fighters page didn’t get updated with Hero’s release, hence it lost the new designation that stages and music got because they were updated.

I find the whole thing silly.

We're not supposed to expect other fighter passes after this, but individual bonus characters are somehow a-okay?

I honestly wonder if Street Fighter V fans used this reasoning for Kage being released by himself before E. Honda, Lucia and Poison's reveals happened...
I think it’s more Nintendo isn’t Capcom or Bandai Namco, and they’re more likely to cut support for the game than those companies are. In that sense, an extra fighter might make more sense as a last hurrah for the game beforehand support ends. I think that’s here the additional fighter comes into play for some people when additional fighter’s passes don’t.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what you mean. Isaac has been one of the most heavily requested characters for over a decade.
Has Isaac been on the same level as characters like K. Rool and Geno? Not trying to put him down or anything, I legit have no idea

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tfw 4chan keeps making fake leaks as soon as anything comes up that may hint at geno and then in the end it not end up coming true. I really hope this starling hint isn't bogus. Honestly, why can't the leaker just come out and put us out of our misery and say if it is Geno or not.
Because Square-Enix would hunt his *** down to the ends of the Earth.

Has Isaac been on the same level as characters like K. Rool and Geno? Not trying to put him down or anything, I legit have no idea
Actually Isaac was more popular than K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie during the Brawl days. K. Rool's popularity didn't really take off until Diddy got in and Banjo & Kazooie didn't again until during the Smash Ballot period when somebody on Twitter asked Phil Spencer if he was up for the duo being in Smash and he said yes.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I fail to see how that photo says anything. We’ve determined they only apply the new tags to when those pages get updated and the fighters page didn’t get updated with Hero’s release, hence it lost the new designation that stages and music got because they were updated.
I don't know. If it's an error it just seems too blatant of one to make right in front of the page.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don't know what you mean. Isaac has been one of the most heavily requested characters for over a decade.
I didnt hear anything from him regarding Smash 4. To be fair, Geno wasnt the loudest group pre-ballot either.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Largely yes. He's had a big following since Brawl, consistently staying as a top 10 for the Smash fanbase as a whole. I've talked about it before but I've always considered the Isaac and Geno fanbase to have a similar relationship as the Ridley and K. Rool fanbases because they share similar fanbase stories and have never been too terribly far apart from either other in terms of popularity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Because Square-Enix would hunt his *** down to the ends of the Earth.

Actually Isaac was more popular than K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie during the Brawl days. K. Rool's popularity didn't really take off until Diddy got in and Banjo & Kazooie didn't again until during the Smash Ballot period when somebody on Twitter asked Phil Spencer if he was up for the duo being in Smash and he said yes.
Little did we know that Dark Dawn would kill goodwill so thoroughly that Camelot would be consigned to Mario sports games since then.

Also, I find it funny that the only reason the leaker scene wasn't nuked over Hero was because most leakers got the wrong character as the main avatar.

I don't know. If it's an error it just seems too blatant of one to make right in front of the page.
It's the Smash site staff. I think Hanlon's Razor can apply strongly to those people.

I think it’s more Nintendo isn’t Capcom or Bandai Namco, and they’re more likely to cut support for the game than those companies are. In that sense, an extra fighter might make more sense as a last hurrah for the game beforehand support ends. I think that’s here the additional fighter comes into play for some people when additional fighter’s passes don’t.
Fair enough, except there's one important difference; the Wii U's impending demise was likely the main factor for the DLC cycle/support of some games ending.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I didnt hear anything from him regarding Smash 4. To be fair, Geno wasnt the loudest group pre-ballot either.
Isaac's support during the Ballot was soft and at it's smallest I would say compared to the support he got in Brawl or Ultimate. But yeah, the golden boy still had quite a following during Smash 4. But like I said, it was nothing compared to his Brawl and Ultimate support.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I really don't see Sakurai being okay with the concept of a "Bonus Fighter" this far into the Fighters Pass. The dude already has strong feelings against season passes since they're asking people to put down money when they don't know what's in the pass, I just don't see him being find of the idea of "By the way, here's another character who you have to pay money for despite already paying money for these 5 other characters we promised you."

Yes, :ultpiranha: exists, but he was announced along WITH the pass on the same day, so it was easy to differentiate him from it, as well as was meant as a bonus for early adopters. Plant was likely done on the team's freetime when development was winding down. No other character, except MAYBE an echo, really has that luxury now.

If Geno happens, he's either part of the Fighters Pass or will happen sometime after we get our last Fighters Pass character. That's how I feel at this point, anyway.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I mean, I feel like it should be obvious as to why. Obviously his standing with Nintendo and reputation. Also, he likes to be a little coy about big reveals from Nintendo. Never forget that Link's Awakening was a picture of a blue crab and even Sabi didn't get it until the NoA source spelled it out for her.

Also, don't take the Banjo-Kazooie image hint as a pattern break for his cryptic nature. I cannot see a way you COULD be cryptic about Banjo-Kazooie via an image unless you tried REALLY hard. However, I will say that so far his Smash image leaks have been straight forward, which could mean this image of the starling is for something that isn't Smash-related.

Nintendo can do whatever they want, cuz they Nintendo.
They Nintendo what they want.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Geno happens, he's either part of the Fighters Pass or will happen sometime after we get our last Fighters Pass character. That's how I feel at this point, anyway.
Both scenarios seem likely, yes, depending on whether or not any of the uncovered 10 WOL slots will get used. Until then we're firmly in Conjecture Land.

Also, don't take the Banjo-Kazooie image hint as a pattern break for his cryptic nature. I cannot see a way you COULD be cryptic about Banjo-Kazooie via an image unless you tried REALLY hard. However, I will say that so far his Smash image leaks have been straight forward, which could mean this image of the starling is for something that isn't Smash-related.
But what if the next Smash hint is purposely obtuse to throw off everyone who thought they had him figured out?

Unless it's for Nintenbirds, I have no clue what this new image is for.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Has this topic been discussed before? The topic in question being whether Geno would talk or not. I say that because I have mixed feelings for the Geno from Smash Crusade as he spits out his attacks like an anime character and Naruto runs. So, would the boi talk and if so, would he be more anime than the Hero and Wolf?
(If you get the joke, you get Glitch Points. You can't redeem anything though...)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really don't see Sakurai being okay with the concept of a "Bonus Fighter" this far into the Fighters Pass. The dude already has strong feelings against season passes since they're asking people to put down money when they don't know what's in the pass, I just don't see him being find of the idea of "By the way, here's another character who you have to pay money for despite already paying money for these 5 other characters we promised you."

Yes, :ultpiranha: exists, but he was announced along WITH the pass on the same day, so it was easy to differentiate him from it, as well as was meant as a bonus for early adopters. Plant was likely done on the team's freetime when development was winding down. No other character, except MAYBE an echo, really has that luxury now.

I feel like Piranha Plant was only a bonus character because he was probably planned for the base game. Evidence of that being that he is the only DLC character that receives a Palutena's Guidance codex.

Edit: So when you think about it, Plant is the Mario rep for the base game while Geno could be the Mario rep for DLC. Not that there is a pattern or anything, which there is not. But basically saying Plant boi didn't steal Geno's slot.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Has this topic been discussed before? The topic in question being whether Geno would talk or not. I say that because I have mixed feelings for the Geno from Smash Crusade as he spits out his attacks like an anime character and Naruto runs. So, would the boi talk and if so, would he be more anime than the Hero and Wolf?
(If you get the joke, you get Glitch Points. You can't redeem anything though...)
Maybe some voice grunts at most. :ultlittlemac:

T2by4

Smash Lord
No, he'd proably be quiet like plant or isabelle. He'd have cool star sound effects in his attacks though.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno would talk since he does in the game he comes from

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
He technically speaks in his game so I'd imagine he could have a voice. I could also see wood-smacking sound effects though.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
A lot of Isaac guys thought he was a shoe-in when his AT wasn't shown. I personally thought Isaac was guaranteed for 4 and that Geno had no chance. It's really weird how Geno was the one who wound up having an appearance (in the form of a Mii costume) but Isaac wasn't in at all.

I'd say Isaac has polled higher than either of those characters in the West for quite some time. Isaac is a largely Western pick, though.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Geno would definitely have a handful of beautiful, bit-crunched Mario RPG sound effects.
As for a voice... Hm. Obviously he does talk, but it'd be odd to have to establish a voice actor for him.
Then again, Erdrick, Eight and Solo got voices despite not having them originally. So it's possible. Would probably only be a Japanese VA, since that seems to be a trend with Square reps now.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Geno would definitely have a handful of beautiful, bit-crunched Mario RPG sound effects.
As for a voice... Hm. Obviously he does talk, but it'd be odd to have to establish a voice actor for him.
Then again, Erdrick, Eight and Solo got voices despite not having them originally. So it's possible. Would probably only be a Japanese VA, since that seems to be a trend with Square reps now.
Having Geno speak in Japanese would feel really weird, at least to me, especially since his name in Japan is a bunch of indescribable symbols of the star language.

Also, if he was voices Xandar Mobus, I don't think I'd mind. He reminds me of Christopher Sabat, the English voice actor for All Might.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Forgot to add, but the thing about bonus fighters is that I can't see it happening alongside FP unless full FP buyers get a code to get the bonus fighter for free. People who didn't pay for the whole pass will have to cough up the extra dough. Even that seems very unlikely to me, though.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Before I continue in the conversation, I wanted to get this out of the way.

I hope you guys can accept my apology.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Before I continue in the conversation, I wanted to get this out of the way.

I hope you guys can accept my apology.
I believe this is worth posting in the Square Enix thread, too, considering that's where it all played out. I think they're the ones you really need to apologize to, moreso than us. I forgive you, but I do hope that you stick to your word. Attacking other character fanbases is not what any of us should be doing. It's rough that Geno's fans get a lot of hate, so doling it out is a hypocritical and awful thing to do.

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of Sora either. I don't like KH at all. That said, I'd never put down or heckle a Sora fan. It's just not right. I'm glad you see the error of your ways, though, and I hope to see your apology followed through with the proper action. :yoshi:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
What about Dan Green, Yuri Lowenthal, or Kyle Hebert as potential Geno VAs?
Oh my god, I love those. I doubt it but if we got Dan Green, somebody would 100% need to draw Geno saying "it's time to duel!" Now I'm tied between Christopher Sabat and Dan Green.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
My problem with Sora is that his reveal trailer will be confusing and will take several years of multiple trailers before we know he was added to Smash. Then a year later they will release a Final Mix version of his Smash trailer but now he has a new down A move.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I believe this is worth posting in the Square Enix thread, too, considering that's where it all played out. I think they're the ones you really need to apologize to, moreso than us. I forgive you, but I do hope that you stick to your word. Attacking other character fanbases is not what any of us should be doing. It's rough that Geno's fans get a lot of hate, so doling it out is a hypocritical and awful thing to do.

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of Sora either. I don't like KH at all. That said, I'd never put down or heckle a Sora fan. It's just not right. I'm glad you see the error of your ways, though, and I hope to see your apology followed through with the proper action. :yoshi:
Yeah. But it was to a point where it was filtering in here and I look at you guys as some what of an e-family (as corny as that sounds lol) so I felt it was necessary to also include here

QQS

Smash Lord
Could the Starling bird be related to these birds singing in the forest at the intro of this version of FOREST MAZE? I don’t remember exactly but I think it’s a fan-made song but Geno indeed was on the “list” in Brawl.

So we haven’t nothing strong; just birds singing and the “Star” name on it. Just an idea. What do you think?

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Other potential evidence: Some people have pointed out that Starlings were seen as messengers of the gods in ancient Rome (and maybe Greece) and have a strong association with warriors, which fits Geno pretty well

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Could the Starling bird be related to these birds singing in the forest at the intro of this version of FOREST MAZE? I don’t remember exactly but I think it’s a fan-made song but Geno indeed was on the “list” in Brawl.

So we haven’t nothing strong; just birds singing and the “Star” name on it. Just an idea. What do you think?
Other potential evidence: Some people have pointed out that Starlings were seen as messengers of the gods in ancient Rome (and maybe Greece) and have a strong association with warriors, which fits Geno pretty well
Yeah, definitely not strong evidence at all. The song, yes, is fan-made, and the Brawl song that was 'supposedly' Forest Maze has evidence of being a Partners in Time song that was unused. On top of that, the association for starlings is one heck of a stretch.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No, I’m not saying it’s an error at all. I’m saying the site is working exactly as intended. It updates to new whenever new information is placed in one of those subcategories, and with the Hero update, there was no such changes to the Fighter’s section, hence the lack of the new because there was no new information added to that subsection.

Little did we know that Dark Dawn would kill goodwill so thoroughly that Camelot would be consigned to Mario sports games since then.

Also, I find it funny that the only reason the leaker scene wasn't nuked over Hero was because most leakers got the wrong character as the main avatar.

It's the Smash site staff. I think Hanlon's Razor can apply strongly to those people.

Fair enough, except there's one important difference; the Wii U's impending demise was likely the main factor for the DLC cycle/support of some games ending.
The 3DS was alive and doing incredibly well, they still chose to move on from Smash 4 (9 million buyers who would have supported DLC for longer). Yes, the DLC season ended in part due to the upcoming Switch, but I don’t know how you read Sakurai’s comments from his book on DLC and not see how much of a small miracle it will be to get extended DLC beyond the Fighter’s Pass.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Oh my god, I love those. I doubt it but if we got Dan Green, somebody would 100% need to draw Geno saying "it's time to duel!" Now I'm tied between Christopher Sabat and Dan Green.
David Wittenberg (Kakashi Hatake VA), John Burgmeier (Kurama - Yu Yu Hakusho VA), or Ian Sinclair (Whis) would be my picks for Geno’s voice because I always envisioned him as soft spoken and level headed while just oozing cool at the same time. :lol:

QQS

Smash Lord
I hope we can get some official news in September

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
No, I’m not saying it’s an error at all. I’m saying the site is working exactly as intended. It updates to new whenever new information is placed in one of those subcategories, and with the Hero update, there was no such changes to the Fighter’s section, hence the lack of the new because there was no new information added to that subsection.
If that's the case then why does Hero still have the new tag inside the fighters page? If there is nothing new to show about Hero then surely the new tag for the character wouldn't be there either. His fighters page has been up since his reveal in June 11th and there is nothing new to show for his page. Even if the tag was there to show that he is now ready for purchase then the fighters tab should show the new tag to show what is new inside the fighters tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom