• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Here’s the thing doh.

So far, it hasn’t changed any mechanic yet.
So there hasn’t been changes to the game’s progression. If there were, I would be annoyed too.

Now I will go back to Discord.
From what I see the prices in the store has been for the characters and stuff have been inflated, so while the gameplay may remain unchange the rewards are more out of reach.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
A Square rep after Geno? I would love to see Crono get some love. Just finished replaying through Chrono Trigger on SNES for a stream, and I still love everything about it. Such a great game!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Here’s the thing doh.

So far, it hasn’t changed any mechanic yet.
So there hasn’t been changes to the game’s progression. If there were, I would be annoyed too.

Now I will go back to Discord.
If we are talking about CTR, I can't say anything.

But other companies have done this already, mainly EA with AC and BattleFront 2.

Also, Activision putting them into the game after initial reviews is also kinda scummy. This is a new tactics companies are doing to get better reviews and not get destroyed by online critics, then afterwards they can do whatever they want. If they can do it with MTX that aren't really bad, imagine when they can get away with worse just because it was a couple months after launch?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The microtransactions aren’t that awful and people just have to not buy them. Easy peachy unless you want to ruin the game for everyone.

And no, I’m not on the mood to deal with Eric right now.
This seems unnecessarily confrontational considering I wasn't criticizing Crash Team Racing at all and was instead criticizing the scummy business practices of Activision with regards to implementing MTX post launch (Please watch the video if anyone is interested in this point, Jim lays it out incredibly well). Crash Team Racing seems like a pretty damn solid remaster/reimanging and was so without the MTX, nothing against the game itself or anyone who enjoys the game.

Sorry bud, but you really don't understand how micro-transactions work.

Any micro-transaction is automatically an issue depending on the content being given and the context of the situation. There is a reason why micro-transactions is the term and not just called DLC. If you spend $3-$5 for a costume or character, no one really has issues with that: you go what you paid for, and it was content that wasn't there in the first place.

Micro-transactions are labeled as such because it's not a one-time deal. This isn't buying a new character or map: this is paying to play the game you paid for. For instance, the newest Assassin's Creed was ripped on for making sidequests essentially mandatory just to level up an progress throughout the game. However, if you just paid them some moolah, you could get experience boosters for your SINGLE PLAYER GAME to level up faster and not have to do so many sidequests. Micro-transactions can be tolerable IF they are not required. The minute you have to spend money multiple times on a game you already paid for is the minute there is a problem here. It's one of the reasons why Madden and NBA 2K and FIFA and pretty much every other sports game is trash right now because all there is to do is pay money for digital stuff that is obsolete in a year, and then they take none of that money to improve the next release.

Angry Joe covering Madden is something you should watch in your spare time. Really puts EA into perspective.

Lootboxes are where I always say no, and I think EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman might have been kinda referring to them more than micro-transactions. See, with most MTX, you know what you are getting. It may be a bit scummy that they are there, but most often you don't need to buy them and at least you get what you paid for. With lootboxes, it's a constant gamble. You are spending money for a CHANCE to get what you want, and they are setup to manipulate you to keep spending and spending and spending. They have hired people who are EXPERTS in psychology and EXPERTS in studies of addiction so that they can guarantee that you will get hooked and spend as much money as possible. Sorry mate, but when I buy my game, unless I'm paying for new content and I'm guaranteed to get what I pay for, I'm not spending a dime. I fell into that trap hard with Miitomo when it first came out on Android. I had never really messed with a mobile game before, but I spent way too much money just for a CHANCE to get cool clothes.

It's funny too, because this was a Nintendo thing. They give you so many free chances, and then you can get one or two more chances for like less than a dollar. You're brain says 'Less than a dollar? Hell yeah I can afford that! I got this!' and you repeatedly fall for it and now suddenly that less than a dollar has cost you $3 or $5 or $10 or more and you still didn't get what you wanted but you gotta have it! Now you are invested and determined! So you spend even more! Maybe you go for the $5 option to get a bonus pack of extra chances! See why this is such a bad thing?

It's why I get bored of mobiles games so quick. When they don't use ****ty lootbox tactics so that you are never guaranteed the character you want, they make it so a free-to-play player hits massive walls that take weeks to months or more to pass...but if you spend $5-$25 you can get all this bonus energy and resources and a free OP character!

It's scummy and pathetic. Half the time their games suck too and they really just want that quick cash that they can sucker out of people.
No, I have issues with all microtransactions in paid games. Lootboxes are objectively the worst, but regular cosmetics are plenty predatory in their own right and are born entirely out of a company's greed despite being the "Least Bad Option" out of all objectively terrible for the consumer options. Hell, even in Fortnite, a game that is largely funded by them, we still see **** like this: https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/7/18534431/fortnite-rare-default-skins-bullying-harassment that indicates the increasingly prevalent issues with even just the most simplistic bottom tier MTX. Again, I'm going to link Jim Sterling's video on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce5CDrq4dGg and he's gone even more heavily against them in recent months because there's more and more coming out that indicates that, yes, cosmetic DLC can be just as predatory and problematic as loot box gambling systems depending on the game and market in question. We're talking about something like Fortnite having over $2000 worth of purchasable skins, Dead or Alive 5 famously had over $100 worth of them, and so on. Fortnite can at least lean on the Free to Play model as "justification" for their deplorable business model and absolute insistence that people play their game all the time (You can only obtain Battle Pass cosmetics in that season, which you pay $10 to access essentially... but don't get most of the stuff unless you play 10s of hours, thus incentivizing you to almost exclusively play Fortnite to both get your money's worth and Epic hopes more time in the game will lead to more skins purchased).

But an actual retail game? That cost $60 at launch and had premium DLC to be purchased already in addition to cosmetics? Hell no. Costumes were a standard feature in games and now they're further split from the game in addition to main content/characters for even more profitability. Games publishers are posting absurd revenues while cutting jobs, game quality, and working developers to the bone (Fortnite famously has excessive crunch periods to make the game a "live service" model: https://kotaku.com/report-fortnite-developers-are-severely-overworked-1834243520.)

It's all scummy and pathetic in my eyes, not just the most egregious stuff like loot boxes and Pay-to-Win models. I even take issue with the Mii costumes that Nintendo releases for Smash despite being among the most reasonable cosmetic DLC (full complete game at launch, unique costumes that probably wouldn't have been in the game, and incredibly cheaply priced... but Smash 4 still had like $40 of the damn things).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
*Reads about microtransactions and Crash Team Racing* I thought this was the Geno thread, not the Crash thread.

D

Deleted member

*Reads about microtransactions and Crash Team Racing* I thought this was the Geno thread, not the Crash thread.
Wait who's Geno? Who's Crash? .... What's Smashboards? What's Smash Bros?! I thought this was a Forum for talking about cooking and pies. Whoops. :4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still think Minecraft's microtransactions are fine.

Actually all of the skins and stuff are made by community members that have partnered with them, so they're essentially just finding a small job out of something they like to do. Of course there's also skins and the mash-up packs that are from Microsoft and Mojang themselves, but they all seem to be quality and, since it's Minecraft, I doubt there's any crunch time since this stuff is easy to make, incredibly so if you have a full, professional team.

Y'know what's funny? The Windows 10 version of Bedrock Edition let's you choose a custom skin, and people on consoles and phones can see it as well. You can technically have Nintendo characters running around in Microsoft's game for everyone to see, without needing a Switch.

Back to Geno, anyway...I don't really know what to talk about without bringing up spirits, costumes, and birds (oh my!) again. Still hoping he gets in.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the next Square rep, aside from Geno, should be a Black Mage. Aside from moogles or a chocobo, Black Mage is the most recognizable character from Final Fantasy. Maybe Vivi if they want an actual character, but just a generic black mage would also work.

Basically, we need more casters.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think putting any sort of micro-transaction in a triple A $60 game is pretty scummy to begin with. Not only do you spend money on the game, now you have the company nickel and dime you in order to get the best stuff. What Activision did was just wait until the reviews came out to then introduce micro-transactions so it could hide within all the good press.

Anyway we should just redirect this conversation to the Crash Bandicoot thread here: https://smashboards.com/threads/the...led-smash-thread.446452/page-50#post-23490052

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Black Mage would work well in Smash and he would be cool, but I am not sure how many people would be disappointed considering they went with someone who isn't Geno.

Man I hate this.

I just want to be given a yes or a no at this point. All I can think about is the one million ways we can be deconfirmed and it tears me up inside. I just want answers so I can move on with my life. I am afraid of being disappointed.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Black Mage would work well in Smash and he would be cool, but I am not sure how many people would be disappointed considering they went with someone who isn't Geno.

Man I hate this.

I just want to be given a yes or a no at this point. All I can think about is the one million ways we can be deconfirmed and it tears me up inside. I just want answers so I can move on with my life. I am afraid of being disappointed.
I know, it really sucks being strung along this long with Geno in this absolutely weird limbo, now with the Mii costume absent to top it all off. It's such a tug of war game of hope, losing hope, regaining hope, and stagnation. It's frustrating, but hopefully, it'll pay off in the end!

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Can anybody have art featured on the Operation Starfall Twitter? I'm not a super good artist but I wouldn't mind making something for it sometime. Just need more practice with Geno

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I haven't had the chance to! I've... been stuck on Terraria on my Switch. :') I've been horribly addicted. (Also, I think of you whenever I think of Sephiroth, so of COURSE you're remembered!!)
Aww
Thank you dear
And I hear Terraria is great!
When you have the time to invest, really, try it out. FFVII is pretty cheap to get, and it's a masterful game.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I haven't had the chance to! I've... been stuck on Terraria on my Switch. :') I've been horribly addicted. (Also, I think of you whenever I think of Sephiroth, so of COURSE you're remembered!!)
Aww
Thank you dear
And I hear Terraria is great!
When you have the time to invest, really, try it out. FFVII is pretty cheap to get, and it's a masterful game.
How can I respond to this? Oh yes, get a room, you two.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Thanks YouTube for suggesting me this almost 14-year-old upload of Super Mario RPG's ending: now I've been hit with the feels.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
TBH I never liked Pokemon Trainer. He's kinda gimmicky. I'd much rather just have standalone Charizard like in Smash 4.
Same-ish. I dislike the transforming characters as a concept. It's inherently an unfair advantage. Personally, I'd prefer Pokémon Trainer to be like Joker with Arsene where the trainer punches and kicks, but his Pokémon help him out.

But back to Geno, I am 95% certain of his inclusion now. Apparently, the Smash Bros. site has added a page for individual fighters, which I believe Geno would be.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
But back to Geno, I am 95% certain of his inclusion now. Apparently, the Smash Bros. site has added a page for individual fighters, which I believe Geno would be.
Yeah that's the big sticking point for me. I really don't see the point for having a section labelled "Individual DLC" if PP is the only one. And as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, Hero still says "Summer 2019" on the DLC page instead of "Available Now" like Joker. They haven't bothered to update the site for some reason.

It's pretty strange. Hope something comes out of this.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, it checks out.

https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

Overall, the interface of the site seems a little snazzier than last year. Looks like they buckled down on keeping an eye on those interns.

That being said, I'm not sure if it'll amount to anything (it could be a case of PP being the only individual DLC), but we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hmm, it checks out.

https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

Overall, the interface of the site seems a little snazzier than last year. Looks like they buckled down on keeping an eye on those interns.
The site makes a clear distinction on "Challenger Packs" and "Individual DLC".

It could very well amount to nothing but it make you think right? "Individual DLC" sounds redundant if PP is the only standalone character. Might as well just say "Piranha Plant Standalone Fighter" instead.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Same-ish. I dislike the transforming characters as a concept. It's inherently an unfair advantage. Personally, I'd prefer Pokémon Trainer to be like Joker with Arsene where the trainer punches and kicks, but his Pokémon help him out.

Where is this page? Is it the one advertised with the Fighter Pass?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Do you think after Super Mario RPG, Gaz's puppet gets sold off to be used in the cameo for Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga? Is that the canon of Geno?

Also, they could totally use his cameo sprite for his Fighter Spirit if they wanted.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That page for individual DLC has existed for ages though, and they have to put Piranha Plant somewhere on the site separate from the Fighter’s Pass. I don’t think it inherently tells us anything about intentions for the future other than giving a convenient place to put other such Fighters if they so choose to.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy, looks like I missed you guys talk about the CTR microtransactions. I've talked about them on Twitter so much. It makes me sad that Activison has literally sacrificed part of their playerbase and potential new players just for a couple extra bucks.

I do agree that it is a scummy business practice. I play offline a whole lot and my online for it is just wonky, despite my internet being perfectly stable. I'm still going to be playing the game, even after these have been implemented. They aren't on the Switch eShop yet, which is good.

As for Geno though, I once again think he may actually happen with everything he has going for him. If he gets in, I'm going to play him just as much as I play Wario. Maybe if my local library has another tournament again and if Geno is in by then, I can show everyone there just what he's all about.

Last edited by a moderator:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Do you think after Super Mario RPG, Gaz's puppet gets sold off to be used in the cameo for Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga? Is that the canon of Geno?

Also, they could totally use his cameo sprite for his Fighter Spirit if they wanted.
I'd prefer this to be the fighter spirit

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
That page for individual DLC has existed for ages though, and they have to put Piranha Plant somewhere on the site separate from the Fighter’s Pass. I don’t think it inherently tells us anything about intentions for the future other than giving a convenient place to put other such Fighters if they so choose to.
Really doubt they would make a section for just one fighter. Why not label all of them as DLCs? I mean, you can buy the chars from the fighters pass individually. This is deliberate separation. And they are using plural there. This is no accident

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Thanks YouTube for suggesting me this almost 14-year-old upload of Super Mario RPG's ending: now I've been hit with the feels.

Seeing YouTube uploads from pre-2006 is always wild to me. Like I'm an archaeologist digging up fossils from a bygone era.

And if that's not wild enough, consider: SMRPG wasn't even a decade old by the time this video was uploaded. It's hard to imagine such a nostalgic classic as this game even being so young.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I’m struggling to remember a single time when a “slots on the official website” theory actually panned out. Someone help me out here.

In general I’m not banking on extra dlc outside of the fighters pass, at least not until the pass is complete.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m struggling to remember a single time when a “slots on the official website” theory actually planned out. Someone help me out here.

In general I’m not banking on extra dlc outside of the fighters pass, at least not until the pass is complete.
It's best to simply wait until February to see what Sakurai will say at the end, before assuming what'll happen next or not. It feels like pre-November days 2: Electric Boogaloo in this regard.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Now that I think about it, Geno being a DLC fighter means that Spirits are fair game as DLC fighters. So now I can have my Rayman, Paper Mario, and Toad.
Now we just need a character to be the precedent for Assist Trophies being promoted to fighters (within the same game). It seems a bit suspicious to me that many Assist Trophies, mainly the ones plausible as players, have animations for jumping, being grabbed, and being attacked, so they are halfway programmed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom