• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Motes

Smash Rookie
Jonathan Motes Jonathan Motes You're a gentleman and a scholar. I, for one, was really impressed with the citations and references you used. Actual meaningful academic research on gaming culture seems to be few and far between so I'm glad I now have some things to go out and read for myself.
tell me about it

I'd highly recommend you check out some of the work I cite. While very little of it is actually written with the intent of being applied to video game fandoms, much of it is universal enough that the connections are easy enough to make (and I guess very few have actually bothered to make such connections, so, here I am). And, of course, my work is fundamentally very basic in nature and only offers a cursory glance into the incredibly broad field of fandom studies. Those curious should definitely follow the rabbit hole and see where it leads.

Also, for anyone interested, I've made a thread in the Welcome forums to say hello to everyone. I don't often get the chance to interact with my viewers (and, uh, research subjects) directly, so if you want to say hi or chat a bit, it might be fun. :happysheep:

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
As much as I'd love something at EVO, I'm not gonna bet on it. The most we'll probably get is an announcement of a Smash direct or some other thing. I'll expect the worst... but I'll definitely hope for the best. I won't be disappointed if nothing happens (especially since I'm going in expecting that) so I have no qualms hoping here!

Besides, I just kinda wanna watch those finals anyway to see who gets the gold...
Yeah I got the feeling Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well assuming 4 is geno of course
5. Any popular 3rd party choice (Shantae I guess)

1. Isaac
2. A custom robo rep
3. Grovile
4.paper Mario
5. Fawful

1. Rhythm heaven rep, I'd prefer joe
2. Black mage
3. Magikarp
4. Chrono
5. Freebie

To be perfectly honest I had to expend my entire pipe dream list to finish that, there really isn't much i'd want personally the roster is getting very close to being perfect as is.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
FP1 #4: Geno
FP1 #5: Crash

FP2 #1: Sora
FP2 #2: Paper Mario
FP2 #3: Master Chief
FP2 #4: Isaac
FP2 #5: Waluigi

FP3 #1: Tails
FP3 #2: Skull Kid
FP3 #3: Minecraft Steve
FP3 #4: Shovel Knight
FP3 #5: Spyro

D

Deleted member

Okay let's say if Geno does get revealed Sunday and as a Fighters Pass character no less on a scale from 1-10 how hyped would you be and what would your reaction be? I'm pretty sure most of us here would be excited but how excited?

Personally I'd say a 10. I would freak out and probably cry honestly. I would honestly cry Geno has been within my top 5 most wanted characters ever since I started wanting characters and over these past two years he's jumped up to being my number one. Geno in Smash would truly be an amazing way to wrap up these past 8 months and this crazy insane journey I've had with you all. I have a lot of affinity for this place and I really appreciate all the memories I've shared with you all up until this point so if Geno got in Smash? I would honestly cry not only for myself but for all of you that would truly be a beautiful thing.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Okay let's say if Geno does get revealed Sunday and as a Fighters Pass character no less on a scale from 1-10 how hyped would you be and what would your reaction be? I'm pretty sure most of us here would be excited but how excited?

Personally I'd say a 10. I would freak out and probably cry honestly. I would honestly cry Geno has been within my top 5 most wanted characters ever since I started wanting characters and over these past two years he's jumped up to being my number one. Geno in Smash would truly be an amazing way to wrap up these past 8 months and this crazy insane journey I've had with you all. I have a lot of affinity for this place and I really appreciate all the memories I've shared with you all up until this point so if Geno got in Smash? I would honestly cry not only for myself but for all of you that would truly be a beautiful thing.
EASILY a 10. Id throw my phone, cry up in tears, and scream. Call me an idiot, idc.

Nicnac

Smash Ace

Easy 10. I shouted and screamed in joy when Banjo hit the scene, and I want Geno in more than I wanted Banjo. And yeah, sharing the joy with you guys would be great!

MattX20

Smash Hero

I think my reaction would be about the same

yakko789

Smash Apprentice

I would cry as well. I've wanted Geno in Smash since the Brawl days. The feeling of relief would be so overwhelming.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice

If there is one thing I like more than wanting the character genuinely, it's people getting BTFO. The...feeling I get when people get BTFO after saying **** like "RIDLEY IS TOO BIG" "K. ROOL/BANJO IS NOT HAPPENING" is remarkable. I absolutely cried at Banjo's reveal the most, biggest thing btfo ever, Geno is the only one who can top that. Also part of what made me cry at Banjo is the fact he is now in HD, I want Geno the same

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

Same, but with Phoenix Wright, though I would be very hyped with Geno, like very very hyped

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Well Sabi seems to confirm that this game (Under Night in birth) will get news soon and I'm pretty sure it's at EVO IIRC if so we may now be 4/9 or whatever. It would be historic if every game at EVO has som

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Well Sabi seems to confirm that this game (Under Night in birth) will get news soon and I'm pretty sure it's at EVO IIRC if so we may now be 4/9 or whatever. It would be historic if every game at EVO has som
So is Smash the only game that doesn't have any confirmed news at this point?

Wish7s

Smash Cadet

No cap I'd be an 11. Geno being in means so much to me, I'd definitely cry, probably scream, cry some more, say words I don't normally say, and analyze his trailer for hours on end

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Changing subject, who would you use to fill those 11 spots?
If it were up to me... I’d do this set up, plus have a bonus character for every pack, but then again, that might be overdoing it. :lol:

FP 1:
4. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot series)
5. Doom Slayer (DOOM series)

*BONUS* [Get a Freebie!] - Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)

FP 2:
1. Dante (Devil May Cry series)
2. Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil 2) *Jill, Chris, and Claire as alts.*
3. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney series)
4. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
5. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)

*BONUS* - Heihachi Mishima (Tekken series)

FP 3:
1. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country series)
2. Isaac (Golden Sun series)
3. Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog series)
4. Shantae (Shantae series)
5. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)

*BONUS* - Dovahkiin (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

EDIT: Couldn’t make up my mind, so came up with alternative FPs. :idea:

If possibly more FP could be added after that...

FP 4:

1. Rayman (Rayman series)
2. Spyro (Spyro series)
3. Sora (Kingdom Hearts series)
4. Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask)
5. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight series)

*BONUS* Waluigi (Super Mario series)

FP 5 (The Retro Pack):

1. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
2. Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
3. Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
4. Medusa (Kid Icarus)
5. Takamaru (Nazo no Murasame Jō/The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

*BONUS* - Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight), Lip (Panel de Pon), and
Stanley the Bugman (Donkey Kong 3)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can't see Geno being #4 personally. I just don't see him being the kind of character that requires a stage to bring in. Just the character and two music tracks on the Mario stages would suffice.

Also for what it's worth, the Stages tab on the Smash Ultimate tab still says"NEW" so that's more reason to think Geno would be individual DLC. Hell, the Smash Ultimate site has "Individual DLC" as it's own section. One might think it means there's going to be one or two characters outside the FP. Food for thought.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No cap I'd be an 11. Geno being in means so much to me, I'd definitely cry, probably scream, cry some more, say words I don't normally say, and analyze his trailer for hours on end
Yeah same. Crying is just the start of what I'd do I'd probably jump up and down for hours crying and just freaking out over Geno if he got in. I'd just lose my mind if Geno by some miracle got in.

link2702

Smash Champion

Let’s put it this way, my wife would probably rush over to where I’m at wondering why I’m screaming uncontrollably with joy.

I wouldn’t be able to put an actual number rating to it because my excitement would be too high to measure.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I joined the PapaGenos discord awhile ago and they all seemed relatively negative and hostile toward the idea of Geno speculation, ironically. Felt exactly like GameFAQS. A shame because PapaG is a good guy, I just dislike some people on his server.
I can't lie -- I'm a huge fan of his, but don't care for his discord much either; the chat flies, a lot of times it's just goofing and it's hard to have any meaningful conversation... I guess such is the point of a discord anyway, but if anyone wants to have meaningful Geno conversation, the best place is probably here.

D

Deleted member

I thought we were at 5/9 now.
We may be I haven't been keeping up.
I can't see Geno being #4 personally. I just don't see him being the kind of character that requires a stage to bring in. Just the character and two music tracks on the Mario stages would suffice.

Also for what it's worth, the Stages tab on the Smash Ultimate tab still says"NEW" so that's more reason to think Geno would be individual DLC. Hell, the Smash Ultimate site has "Individual DLC" as it's own section. One might think it means there's going to be one or two characters outside the FP. Food for thought.
Well that's a fair point but on the other hand we didn't need Pirate Ship for example to return as a DLC stage in Smash 4 as we already had a lot of Zelda stages at that point yet it did. Geno doesn't need a stage but that doesn't mean the dev team or Sakurai wouldn't decide to give him one anyways.

Plus with how much and how long Sakurai has been wanting Geno which is over a decade now I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decided to give him a stage to represent Super Mario RPG anyways. We don't have a Super Mario RPG stage yet and sure we don't need one but with how much Sakurai likes Geno we could get one anyways.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well that's a fair point but on the other hand we didn't need Pirate Ship for example to return as a DLC stage in Smash 4 as we already had a lot of Zelda stages at that point yet it did. Geno doesn't need a stage but that doesn't mean the dev team or Sakurai wouldn't decide to give him one anyways.

Plus with how much and how long Sakurai has been wanting Geno which is over a decade now I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decided to give him a stage to represent Super Mario RPG anyways. We don't have a Super Mario RPG stage yet and sure we don't need one but with how much Sakurai likes Geno we could get one anyways.
Pirate Ship was standalone DLC though, completely different. Not to mention they were selling individual DLC stages during the Smash 4 days.

With a character like Geno, I could see him being someone Sakurai wants in to satisfy the long-standing demand for the character (given it's a recurrent theme with :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: in the game now) without having to do all the work for an entirely new stage,

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
1. Geno
2. Isaac
3. Rex & Pyra
4. Someone from ARMS (Springman/Ribbongirl, Minmin or Twintelle)
5. Shantae
6. KOS-MOS
7. Bomberman
8. Doom Slayer
9. Heihachi
10. Dante
11. Travis Touchdown

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
On a scale of 1-10, how hype would I be for Geno? For my boy? For my good, darling star boy?

Ha. I'd be easily a 9999.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

On a scale of 1-10, how hype would I be for Geno? For my boy? For my good, darling star boy?

Ha. I'd be easily a 9999.
Pssh, Duck Queen, you know better. Both of us would be drowning our respective counties in joy-filled tears.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Fighters Pass #1
1. Joker from Persona
2. Hero from Dragon Quest
3. Banjo & Kazooie from Banjo Kazooie
4. Doomslayer from DOOM
5. Koei or Namco Fighter

Bonus Fighter: Geno from Super Mario

Fighters Pass #2
1. Rayman from Rayman
2. Shantae from Shantae
3. Fawful from Super Mario
4. Zael from The Last Story
5. Adeleine from Kirby

Bonus Fighter: Calista from The Last Story(Bite Me!)

Fighters Pass #3
1. Agent 8/Octoling from Splatoon
2. Morgan from Fire Emblem(Fight me!)
3. Black Shadow from F-Zero
4. Dry Bowser from Super Mario
5. Ninten from Earthbound

Bonus Fighter: Isaac from Golden Sun

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
whoa, I watched that video, the hype and transformation one. It was so well done. Kind of made me emotional, cause the analysis comparing Geno to the Velveteen Rabbit is completely accurate. Bravo! Geno's fanbase really has created so much content revolving around Geno which is why he is "real" and wanted so badly.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Call me boring, but id go with mostly first parties

1. Toad
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Mach Rider
  4. Mike Jones
  5. Porky Minch
  6. Beast Ganon ( ALBW design )
  7. Captain Syrup
  8. Doom Slayer
  9. Crash Bandicoot
  10. Spyro the Dragon
  11. Dr. Eggman
I'll admit it got hard to come up with anyone I after Porky, since most of the characters I want that didn't make it have been deconfirmed as assist trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom