• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
What's his latest otter posting right now?
or this one
Question is, if there is a Direct soon, will it be a normal Direct, or some other type of Direct? Or just a normal Direct?
Not sure what you mean by this, but my guess is on a Smash direct for the next one. It would ideally go into detail on Hero and drop Fighter #4 (who for me ideally is Doom Slayer/Geno). I doubt it's a general Nintendo Direct as they probably brought out all their big guns for E3, which was only about a month ago.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Question is, if there is a Direct soon, will it be a normal Direct, or some other type of Direct? Or just a normal Direct?
I don't follow John enough to know his patterns but I think is was determined here a while back that it would most likely be a more meatier smash focused direct due to the timing of current releases, proximity from e3, and the other coincidences that we have recently observed.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Someone in the Discord brought up a good point and I wanted to get people's opinions on it: do you think Nintendo would release Hero and Fire Emblem: Three Thrones in the same week? Three Thrones releases next Friday and, hypothetically, Hero would be dropped on either Wednesday or Thursday after an announcement on a previous day. Do you think Nintendo would mind those two competing with each other? Maybe Nintendo will wait until EVO...

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Someone in the Discord brought up a good point and I wanted to get people's opinions on it: do you think Nintendo would release Hero and Fire Emblem: Three Thrones in the same week? Three Thrones releases next Friday and, hypothetically, Hero would be dropped on either Wednesday or Thursday after an announcement on a previous day. Do you think Nintendo would mind those two competing with each other? Maybe Nintendo will wait until EVO...
It just doesn't seem like a good business move from a suit's perspective even if they don't actually compete at all, I still think it's july but if it's not saved for anything special like evo then I would bet they space it as much as they can without disruption of anything else.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think he could drop next week. Historically, the last time a spirit event occurred before a character, it was before Joker dropped, although the gap was big.

It's not like it'll get in the way of DQ11's release, or anything.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a big Smash direct either before or after EVO. Maybe it will be like last year where they will announce the date of the Direct after Grand Finals.

It makes sense to me because Smash has been out just over seven months and yet we've only seen three of the five FP characters and only have access to play one of them. When you consider that there is likely more modes and other extra content coming in outside what is revealed with each character, there really has been a big gap in information.

In the words of Yami Yugi...NOW IS THE TIME!

owjies

Smash Journeyman
My guess is on a Smash direct for the next one. It would ideally go into detail on Hero and drop Fighter #4 (who for me ideally is Doom Slayer/Geno).
Speaking of Geno & Doom Slayer, one thing the fighters pass is missing so far is a focused projectile / zoning style of character. We had a mixture of fighting styles in the base roster. :ultincineroar: & :ultsimon: particularly stand out as opposing styles. Among the DLC fighters, Piranha Plant (Not a member of the fighters pass technically) seems to be the closest to a zoner so far, so Geno and Doom Slayer are two options that could potentially fit that role nicely.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that Smash updates have released alongside other game releases before, so I expect a release next week regardless

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
It just doesn't seem like a good business move from a suit's perspective even if they don't actually compete at all, I still think it's july but if it's not saved for anything special like evo then I would bet they space it as much as they can without disruption of anything else.
What do you mean? It would bring more sales at the same time(?) I don't imagine when they get released would effect how many people buy that game or the Hero DLC..

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
It makes sense to me because Smash has been out just over seven months and yet we've only seen three of the five FP characters and only have access to play one of them. When you consider that there is likely more modes and other extra content coming in outside what is revealed with each character, there really has been a big gap in information.
A hundred times this, the amount of information they've given us and content released for the time they've taken has been dreadful. technically were behind smash4 at this point and having only the first 2 characters of 6 in the first half of time schedule(one of which had a massive amount of work already done before launch) makes no sense unless they plan to REALLY crank things up moving forward

Glitch-EGamer said:
What do you mean? It would bring more sales at the same time(?) I don't imagine when they get released would effect how many people buy that game or the Hero DLC..

I mean that from a corporate who has no real concept of what their actually working with just sees two products being placed at a similar time, and it couldn't possibly hurt to try and space things out unlike the reverse

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
That's a very good question. Smash is a big deal, and having their second DLC character out does draw out attention. At the same time, Nintendo is putting a lot behind FE:TH. Would they compete for each other's attention? I don't recall if there were games being release very close to the previous DLC characters of PP and Joker.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
A hundred times this, the amount of information they've given us and content released for the time they've taken has been dreadful. technically were behind smash4 at this point and having only the first 2 characters of 6 in the first half of time schedule(one of which had a massive amount of work already done before launch) makes no sense unless they plan to REALLY plan to crank things up moving forward
I call bull**** on the content they’ve given us not being enough for post release. We’ve gotten Piranha Plant, Multiplayer on the Spirit Board, Stage Builder, Video Editor, the ability to share content of those aforementioned things and Mii fighters, the Joker challenger pack with Momentos, 11 songs, a Spirit Board, a Classic Mode route, an Amiibo Journey extra mode, and a VR mode. We’ve gotten an absolute ton of content since launch, and most of it has been free. I get that not all of it appeals to everyone and that’s the point. Sure, it’s not character DLC, but it’s already leagues better than Smash 4’s DLC situation already and we’ll be getting Hero and al of their accompany content soon enough.

I feel like everyone just overlooks Piranha Plant despite the fact that it was objectively the first real DLC character for the game and should be considered in the cycle of things. Plant had to be finished before other characters could come.

They’ve also given us plenty of information about all of that content and they’ve got the next two fighters announced with stages... what more do you exactly expect from Nintendo and Sakurai at this point?

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's a very good question. Smash is a big deal, and having their second DLC character out does draw out attention. At the same time, Nintendo is putting a lot behind FE:TH. Would they compete for each other's attention? I don't recall if there were games being release very close to the previous DLC characters of PP and Joker.
That, and if we're talking promotional picks, Corrin's game didn't even come out until well after Smash 4's DLC cycle ended.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I call bull**** on the content they’ve given us not being enough for post release. We’ve gotten Piranha Plant, Multiplayer on the Spirit Board, Stage Builder, Video Editor, the ability to share content of those aforementioned things and Mii fighters, the Joker challenger pack with Momentos, 11 songs, a Spirit Board, a Classic Mode route, an Amiibo Journey extra mode, and a VR mode. We’ve gotten an absolute ton of content since launch, and most of it has been free. I get that not all of it appeals to everyone and that’s the point. Sure, it’s not character DLC, but it’s already leagues better than Smash 4’s DLC situation already and we’ll be getting Hero and al of their accompany content soon enough.

I feel like everyone just overlooks Piranha Plant despite the fact that it was objectively the first real DLC character for the game and should be considered in the cycle of things. Plant had to be finished before other characters could come.

They’ve also given us plenty of information about all of that content and they’ve got the next two fighters announced with stages... what more do you exactly expect from Nintendo and Sakurai at this point?
well we'll just have to agree to disagree on that, I don't count the bonus features because they weren't promised, were cut from 4, or were largely inconsequential from a programming perspective like new music or spirits., same with joker's stuff I bundle that all in when I brought it up. plant was shown with about as much work done as we saw with hero and banjo about a month before base even released so I frankly don't count it equally to the others.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Dear God. Too many pages.

Well, seems like that belief of 10am was proven fake. So, it's the dream dead?

Or does it have a new date, like of course it has~?

:bomb:.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, I have to say, just seeing bigger names like people from Pixeltendo (which is now Spriter's Resource, a lovely little place with a lot of legacy!), with connections to people from DYKG, pro Smash players, official IDW artists, big Youtubers, and many others supporting Geno...

It does my heart good. It really does. He's so beloved, even more than I thought. If we keep our voices loud, Nintendo will hear us eventually. I'm sure of it.

... takes the time to plug Operation Starfall here pls share it's really gaining momentum again and it focuses on geno and mallow being given love again let's do this thing

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing I'd expect from Nintendo and Sakurai at this point is to reveal if they're going to do anything else after the completed pass, with those 10 other slots that have been seen in the WOL datamine (FP and Plant already filling 6 of the 16), that sit around for no reason. Though I have a feeling I'll have to wait until Winter to find out...

Dear God. Too many pages.

Well, seems like that belief of 10am was proven fake. So, it's the dream dead?

Or does it have a new date, like of course it has~?

:bomb:.
Otters and bird are still alive.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
The only thing I'd expect from Nintendo and Sakurai at this point is to know if they're going to do anything with those 10 other slots that have been seen in the WOL datamine (FP and Plant already filling 6 of the 16), that sit around for no reason. Though I have a feeling I'll have to wait until Winter to find out...
don't the alt's like school joker and the heroes also take up slots too? I mean I'd love to be wrong that's 2 more passes of space but I think I heard that last it was brought up

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
don't the alt's like school joker and the heroes also take up slots too? I mean I'd love to be wrong that's 2 more passes of space but I think I heard that last it was brought up
Those are for the datamined 30 slots outside of WoL. The WoL slots only count for characters and not alts, whereas the 30 includes alts.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Those are for the datamined 30 slots outside of WoL. The WoL slots only count for characters and not alts, whereas the 30 includes alts.
you don't say? well sakurai did say he doesn't expect to make a new smash game for about a decade.... ; )

imagine if they actually planned to fill that out, we could possibly see the grinch lineup after all, damn between issac,solo, geno and the MKlll costume I'd never ask sakurai for anything ever again lol

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
you don't say? well sakurai did say he doesn't expect to make a new smash game for about a decade.... ; )

imagine if they actually planned to fill that out, we could possibly see the grinch lineup after all, damn I'd never ask sakurai for anything ever again lol
grinch leak real confirmed the whole time

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Oh hey! Good to see you again! Just as I brought up the datamine topic again. Yes, the ID number still gets mistakenly rounded out...

That being said, I still doubt whether ATs would be upgraded in the same game tho.
I would say the same thing, but at the same time; Sakurai doesn't care. Sakurai does whatever the hell he wants and nobody can stop him. He's a menace to society, destroying arbitrary fanmade rules 1 by 1.

Starting with the stupid spirits can't be DLC rule, please.

Nicnac

Smash Ace

imagine if they actually planned to fill that out, we could possibly see the grinch lineup after all, damn I'd never ask sakurai for anything ever again lol
Honestly, what got me hyped most about Grinch (apart from Geno and Banjo) was Mach Rider. This old, bizarre character with a bike and a gun would have been a great reveal, and an even better moveset. I firmly believe the other 4 non-confirmed Grinch Gang will get their day in the limelight, but Mach Rider? Probably not. And that sucks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Starting with the stupid spirits can't be DLC rule, please.
Seconding this one like you wouldn't believe.

Geno would be the ideal candidate for that, but I think we still need to wait for February before we know for sure. I don't think the FP would upgrade any spirits, so chances are that might be saved for later.

By the way, maintenance alert!

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Honestly, what got me hyped most about Grinch (apart from Geno and Banjo) was Mach Rider. This old, bizarre character with a bike and a gun would have been a great reveal, and an even better moveset. I firmly believe the other 4 non-confirmed Grinch Gang will get their day in the limelight, but Mach Rider? Probably not. And that sucks.
Yeah…though at least their thread got some activity due to the incident. Maybe there can be a movement started for a Smash 6 appearance, who knows...?

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
My current theory on who the unaccounted for 10 characters includes Mach Rider as an echo fighter (of captain falcon, with wario's bike) breaking the same series rule for a special case. It'd be dope. If anyone cares I'll post my theory just ask.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
yeah mach was a never knew I wanted type of thing and probably the retro rep I'd hope for in 6, honestly even though I only cared about 2 of the 7 having the whole package just felt so perfect and thorough in a way I can't describe, like even if the two that I did hope for(geno and issac) came it still wouldn't feel the same. my only 2 realistic most wanted, 2 more huge fan faves in banjo and shadow, the posterchild of fake leaks and long time coming RH rep in chorus kids, and the neatest retro rep they've done in my eyes since IC. damn the guy who meticulously crafted that together is a legit psychological monster.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
The only thing I'd expect from Nintendo and Sakurai at this point is to reveal if they're going to do anything else after the completed pass, with those 10 other slots that have been seen in the WOL datamine (FP and Plant already filling 6 of the 16), that sit around for no reason. Though I have a feeling I'll have to wait until Winter to find out...
I have a hard time imagining that they wouldn't add more characters, mainly first party ones. By the time the pass ends, the Switch won't even be three years old yet and if the Switch is supposed to last 8-10 years, Smash would be dead pretty quick in its possibly decade long lifespan.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, I can only think of the following.

Surprise Hero (and Ver. 4.0) launch trailer later today

With the EVO 2019 patch deadline only hours away, and presuming Nintendo is making moves to increase their involvement in the Smash Bros. competitive scene, they could decide on shadow dropping Hero later today. For this year's EVO, the game that scored the highest number of entrants is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. EVO's tournaments draw lots of viewers (mostly through twitch I'd say), and them releasing Hero before the deadline (which I believe is today; July 17th, dunno if up to 11:59 PM), would allow for the SSBU tournament have Hero playable (since entrants will have enough time to lab with the character from here, up until the tournament). SSBU fans worldwide surely wouldn't miss watching some high-level Hero matches during EVO; which would result in more views on the tournament (exposure), and would give Nintendo more reasons to continue involving itself in said events.

Hero (and Ver. 4.0) launch after a future Smash-centered, or regular Nintendo Direct (maybe in August)

This would be the more realistic scenario, and one that may potentially shed more light on the remainder of the Fighter's Pass (remaining two characters, potential Mii costumes, new modes, etc.). In a Direct format, Hero could be broken down in regards to his playstyle, moveset, stage, potential new mode included with his addition, AND, it may include a surprise at the end of said Direct (this of course is the wishful thinking part). If the European Starling picture is indeed a tease alluding to Geno, one way they could go about revealing him, would be including his Mii costume along with the others coming with Hero, BUT, his would be the last, and as the Mii costume is offscreen for a bit, the REAL Geno jumps onto the screen.

Unfortunately, all we can do is wait and see what comes.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's a huge shame Mach Rider will likely never get their chance as while before that hoax I didn't think much of the character but afterwards that thing really made me learn how cool the character is. As someone else said it was a "Never knew I wanted it until now" sort of deal.

I really wish Mach Rider and the rest of the Grinch Hoax characters could get their day but apart from Shadow and maybe Chorus Kids I doubt it. Even Isaac I sort of doubt.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Say YsDisciple YsDisciple , can this online maintenance fit your theory?

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

From the looks of it, the 22th-26th could be likely.

Yeah it's a huge shame Mach Rider will likely never get their chance as while before that hoax I didn't think much of the character but afterwards that thing really made me learn how cool the character is. As someone else said it was a "Never knew I wanted it until now" sort of deal.

I really wish Mach Rider and the rest of the Grinch Hoax characters could get their day but apart from Shadow and maybe Chorus Kids I doubt it. Even Isaac I sort of doubt.
The worst part is, MR is one of the few characters that could possibly even fit what Sakurai probably used the Vifam rifle as a base for.

The only solace I can get from this is that MR won't prevent other lesser-known characters from being noticed by fans again. :ohwell:

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
No way. We all know Dragon Quest is like the biggest thing in Japan, so if The Hero drops in the same week as Three Houses then that could potentially cannibalize sales in Japan. Same may be implemented for the west, but not many people in the States are that excited for The Hero but everyone looks forward to Smash Bros news regardless. Smash Bros can get a lot of media attention regardless what the character is so it would be wise to release The Hero in between Fire Emblem Three Houses & Astral Chain.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Hmm, I can only think of the following.

Surprise Hero (and Ver. 4.0) launch trailer later today

With the EVO 2019 patch deadline only hours away, and presuming Nintendo is making moves to increase their involvement in the Smash Bros. competitive scene, they could decide on shadow dropping Hero later today. For this year's EVO, the game that scored the highest number of entrants is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. EVO's tournaments draw lots of viewers (mostly through twitch I'd say), and them releasing Hero before the deadline (which I believe is today; July 17th, dunno if up to 11:59 PM), would allow for the SSBU tournament have Hero playable (since entrants will have enough time to lab with the character from here, up until the tournament). SSBU fans worldwide surely wouldn't miss watching some high-level Hero matches during EVO; which would result in more views on the tournament (exposure), and would give Nintendo more reasons to continue involving itself in said events.

Hero (and Ver. 4.0) launch after a future Smash-centered, or regular Nintendo Direct (maybe in August)

This would be the more realistic scenario, and one that may potentially shed more light on the remainder of the Fighter's Pass (remaining two characters, potential Mii costumes, new modes, etc.). In a Direct format, Hero could be broken down in regards to his playstyle, moveset, stage, potential new mode included with his addition, AND, it may include a surprise at the end of said Direct (this of course is the wishful thinking part). If the European Starling picture is indeed a tease alluding to Geno, one way they could go about revealing him, would be including his Mii costume along with the others coming with Hero, BUT, his would be the last, and as the Mii costume is offscreen for a bit, the REAL Geno jumps onto the screen.

Unfortunately, all we can do is wait and see what comes.
He hops up and bashes the faker with flying fists

Last edited:

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet

If it weren't for the fact that the Grinch Leak had so many characters, it would have been extremely believable just because of Mach Rider. It was really out of left field and was a character, just as you said, I didn't know I wanted til I saw him there. I always saw a few people discussing him back in the Brawl/SSB4 days, but I never understood the hype.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't see the problem with them releasing Hero close to Three Houses. Three houses is a full blown game in a long running and beloved franchise while Hero is just a DLC for a game people have been playing for 7 months already. They may pop on and try him out. And if they are Fire Emblem fans they will move on to Fire Emblem when it releases.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't see the problem with them releasing Hero close to Three Houses. Three houses is a full blown game while Hero is just a DLC for a game people have been playing for 7 months already. They may pop on and try him out. And if they are Fire Emblem fans they will move on to Fire Emblem when it releases.
Adding to that, playing a few matches doesn't take that long compared to the behemoth of a game TH is set to be. And the fan influx could make the servers explode again.

Unless matches with Hero are somehow supposed to last over 20 hours. :p

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I have a hard time imagining that they wouldn't add more characters, mainly first party ones. By the time the pass ends, the Switch won't even be three years old yet and if the Switch is supposed to last 8-10 years, Smash would be dead pretty quick in its possibly decade long lifespan.
I've been thinking about this a while now and I'm wondering if this might be their plan after all. we have exactly 3 passes of space and each one could be themed like has been brought up tangentially for a while now. the first for 3rd party characters were on now, then one for 1st/2nd party characters and finally one for echos. I mean there's no hard evidence to support that but if they really were going all the way I think this is what would happen.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about this a while now and I'm wondering if this might be their plan after all. we have exactly 3 passes of space and each one could be themed like has been brought up tangentially for a while now. the first for 3rd party characters were on now, then one for 1st/2nd party characters and finally one for echos. I mean there's no hard evidence to support that but if they really were going all the way I think this is what would happen.
It would make sense for them to hit the 100 fighter quota anyway. Gives Bandana Dee (or any Kirby rep), Grookey's final evolution, Sylux, Porky, and Edelgard a chance at the dlc slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom