• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I remember the rumors a year ago how NoA was really excited and talking about Geno. I even remember when an official Nintendo employee posted a picture of Geno art and it mysteriously disappeared when those rumors started happening. Since a vague idea of Hero was known for a good year or so. There has to be a reason they were all getting excited for Geno around the same time right?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh btw, early safe call:

I think Hero's spell mechanic will be that you can change what your Neutral B does.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, I hate you all for making me now consider a fake out scenario... It's unprecedented but not impossible and just the kind of wacky bull**** that Sakurai probably would want to wrap up the Fighter Pass on. Would Square Enix double dip? Who are we kidding? Of course they would... Plenty of playable characters have full blown costumes and it's not like it's the scenario from the last game anymore in that the costume would be totally brand new, it would be simple port like all the others. There's also the fact that if Geno didn't appear as a costume, it would raise a ton of suspicion immediately. **** me... We're really seeing this through to the absolute end, aren't we?
Hell yeah we're out here until the very end. We may be strange for believing in our boy even after a Square Rep happened but I'm on this hype train until it either crashes and burns terribly or rides into the victory stop.

I unironically do feel more hopeful for Geno now than I was before Hero was revealed so I do legit believe we'll get Geno in as Ultimate DLC be it in the Fighters Pass or individual DLC like Piranha Plant in-fact I made a bet with @Zack E. about it so let's get this bread.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, Polar's contact said they were told Geno MIGHT be DLC, not that he outright will be. That's an important distinction to make.
This. I've also explained before that their supervisor might have said this just to soften the blow but that would be kind of out of character based on everything they've shared. I wouldn't be surprised if this same supervisor was the person that teased Breath of the Wild 2 to him a few days before the E3 presentation with the cryptic hint about the Zelda news being "heartbreaking."

Datboigeno Datboigeno I've also kept Sakurai's statement about giving Geno fans "something" in the back of my mind. He basically admitted that the Mii costume was a consolation prize and didn't want his fans to walk away from Smash 4 totally empty handed. Four years later, we now have two more consolation prizes in the form of a spirit and online icon and it's kind of like, why bother? To everyone's chagrin last year, Nintendo basically admitted that they saw assist trophies as almost as big of fan appeasement as characters so why didn't they just do that? God knows they did it for tons of other characters, including a huge portion of the Mii costumes.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Seriously, I hate you all for making me now consider a fake out scenario... It's unprecedented but not impossible and just the kind of wacky bull**** that Sakurai probably would want to wrap up the Fighter Pass on. Would Square Enix double dip? Who are we kidding? Of course they would... Plenty of playable characters have full blown costumes and it's not like it's the scenario from the last game anymore in that the costume would be totally brand new, it would be simple port like all the others. There's also the fact that if Geno didn't appear as a costume, it would raise a ton of suspicion immediately. **** me... We're really seeing this through to the absolute end, aren't we?
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I feel like every time someone says something like what they said about Ridley being too big or K. Rool being too irrelevent only becomes an exercise in humility; many of those points were proven wrong. I hope that with enough people telling us a minor side-story character not getting into Smash only means he's coming to Smash eventually. I just hope it'll be done for Smash Ultimate and not the next game. The whole "Everyone is here!" thing needs to happen this time around.

LeafMB

Smash Rookie
I don't want to give anyone hope in a case where there could be heartbreak. But:

Point 1: Sakurai did say he wouldn't want too much DLC in his book, yet he also said he wouldn't want to do a season pass. Smash has a season pass, it might have a season 2.

Point 2: When cloud came as DLC, he arrived with only Squaresoft Mii costumes. A Slime hat is easy to do, has been done in games before, and yet it was nowhere to be seen despite being an easy DLC of a well known character. Square-Enix is a complicated company, its rights holders are spread out and so on. this is what made a DQ character likely in my view, as the Enix old guard would want something "on their side", I also wonder if that was the case with Smash 4 DLC, they would even take offense if Cloud was in but all they had was a hat. This very situation also makes Square-Enix the most likely company to double-dip.

The big teller of this whole situation will be what comes with the DQ characters, there is a legitimate chance we might see a reverse case of cloud, and there will be no Squaresoft related outfits. If that is the case, I think the chances of Geno go back to high places. Even if as some sort of "out-of-pass" DLC like Piranha. There is no way Geno wasn't mentioned by Sakurai, not with everything we have seen so far. And if the man somehow got Toriyama, Sugiyama and Square-Enix to play nice for this DLC, its not out of this world he could get a Geno deal. But, again, SE is a big company with many holders, and its clear some sides care more about Nintendo than others...

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I feel like every time someone says something like what they said about Ridley being too big or K. Rool being too irrelevent only becomes an exercise in humility; many of those points were proven wrong. I hope that with enough people telling us a minor side-story character not getting into Smash only means he's coming to Smash eventually. I just hope it'll be done for Smash Ultimate and not the next game. The whole "Everyone is here!" thing needs to happen this time around.
This so much. It does not and will not feel like eeeeeeveryone’s here unless Geno is here. I would bet that Sakurai’s aware of this too, but will that translate into something tangible? Geno is a part of Smash history now. Sakurai’s statements in 2015 confirm that. That’s why, as amazing as the game is, from the perspective of Geno, a costume, spirit, and icon feel like horizontal progress.

Krystal was in the same boat as Geno in Brawl. Popular character, just missed the cut, and ended up becoming Wolf. A decade later, everyone is here, Kystal’s now an AT with a surprisingly deep rotation of attacks. Something definitive needs to happen with Geno. It feels unlikely, but I dunno, I think I’d honestly be surprised if we don’t see something more. An AT, fighter, music—something.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So I have an ironclad baseless theory going on for the DLC that's so brilliant, its illegal in 34 states.

The DLC Rainbow Theory. (trademark)

Assume just six DLC characters. Each character in Ultimate gets a background color on the site and amiibo box (Mario red, Pikachu yellow, Robin purple, etc).

This is the DLC so far:
Red: Joker
Yellow: Banjo and Kazooie
Green: Plantain
Purple: Hero Sandwich

The character picks use a color that represents them the best: Red Mementos, yellow jiggy, green plant, purple Android 17.

That leaves 2 colors and 2 DLC spots (no one cares about you, indigo). Orange and Blue will be related to the last 2 fighters .

Who is feeling Blue? Not Geno as he'll be happy being the blue entry. And orange? Crash Bandicoot.

So that's your DLC roster, brought to you by Masahiro Skittles.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So I have an ironclad baseless theory going on for the DLC that's so brilliant, its illegal in 34 states.

Assume just six DLC characters. Each character in Ultimate gets a background color on the site and amiibo box (Mario red, Pikachu yellow, Robin purple, etc).

This is the DLC so far:

The character picks use a color that represents them the best: Red Mementos, yellow jiggy, green plant, purple Android 17.

That leaves 2 colors and 2 DLC spots (no one cares about you, indigo). Orange and Blue will be related to the last 2 fighters .

Who is feeling Blue? Not Geno as he'll be happy being the blue entry. And orange? Crash Bandicoot.

Either Geno or phoenix wright would be good for blue.

Wish7s

Smash Cadet

This is the DLC so far:

This is so dumb it might actually work out...

Ovaltine

Smash Master

This is the DLC so far:

Thank you, M&Ms Skittles, I'm really gonna enjoy Super Snickers Brothers: Turkish Delight edition.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

This is the DLC so far:

I definitely think Jill or Leon will be blue. Resident Evil is the biggest Japanese franchise not yet in Smash. Thinking orange is Doom Slayer.

Maybe Geno as a bookend bonus fighter? They could make Geno, brown. The puppet color.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I said it in the Wright thread. But there are three theories right now. The Partner theory, the costume theory, and the rainbow theory. Geno fits into the rainbow theory pretty well. Costume is debatable since i’m not sure how mane SE costumes there were. So I guess they can ship more with Geno, Partner theory wouldn’t fit for Geno though. Unless they team him up with Mallow.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I said it in the Wright thread. But there are three theories right now. The Partner theory, the costume theory, and the rainbow theory. Geno fits into the rainbow theory pretty well. Costume is debatable since i’m not sure how mane SE costumes there were. So I guess they can ship more with Geno, Partner theory wouldn’t fit for Geno though. Unless they team him up with Mallow.
I don't believe any of 'em. The Costume theory is a stretch, I don't know what the Partner theory is and the rainbow theory is sort of ridiculous yet it'd be the best out of the three. What is the partner theory?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
They could do Geno and a Mii costume. Builder Mario also has a Builder Mii costume.

One thing I noted: what was a stupi-, er, common knock against Banjo and Kazooie? They would be a Duck Hunt clone. And what was their trailer? Duck Hunt pretending to be them to troll fans. 'Duck Hunt clone" wasn't nearly a frequent whine like 'Ridley too big,' and yet, like Ridley, tne developers acknowledged it in their trailers. All that to say that they are listening, and I would be shocked if Geno flew past them.
Same with Roy the Koopaling replacing Roy the Fire Emblem Character. They had a scene in the trailer and a screenshot just to show off Roy claiming his spot back.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
i can’t wait for geno to use mallow as a projectile

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Same with Roy the Koopaling replacing Roy the Fire Emblem Character. They had a scene in the trailer and a screenshot just to show off Roy claiming his spot back.
There was also a few photos in Ultimate making refrence to it.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't believe any of 'em. The Costume theory is a stretch, I don't know what the Partner theory is and the rainbow theory is sort of ridiculous yet it'd be the best out of the three. What is the partner theory?
There seems to be a theme that each character comes with some sort of Partner. Joker has his little cat thing in his taunts and his persona, Hero has slime. Banjo has Kazooie, So the theory is saying that the last two characters are going to fit this theme of having a Partner character as a part of the character’s move set or at least in a taunt/final smash.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Thank you, M&Ms Skittles, I'm really gonna enjoy Super Snickers Brothers: Turkish Delight edition.
Fighter #77:

'Your Dentist Drills the Teeth!'

There are also side colors for side DLC: Pink, Silver and Brown.

Pink is Dixie
Silver is Mallow
Brown is Porky.

Firox

Smash Master
Sorry, bro, but I guess this was kinda my fault. I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the corporate mind and I was merely pointing out the likelihood of events. Both Nintendo and Square enix wouldn't be above milking the already-existing Geno costume, and to be honest, it would be stupid of them not to release it BEFORE unveiling the real Geno. We've already seen that Mii costumes aren't a hard de-confirm by acknowledging the ones released thus far that match several of the already confirmed newcomers. The sad truth of the matter is that our worst case scenario is also the most likely. Period. On the one hand, they could slap us with the costume and have us agonizing over Geno only to find that he isn't getting in after all. On the other, they could intentionally cause the lowest of lows, plunging us into the depths of despair, only to have Geno unveiled as the final DLC and cause the most brain-exploding hype-gasm in the history of smash fandom. lol When you think about it, such a move could be the most devious and yet ingenious thing Sakurai could do. People on this thread have asked how Nintendo could possibly top the hype of Banjo-Kazooie, but for the love of all things holy, this would do it. It would be painful, and suspenseful, and I would despise the powers that be for doing it, but all that would disappear if I saw our hard work and support finally reach fruition. The dawn is never brighter than after a moonless night. So also would be my joy to have passed through the abyss only to find the soldier of the stars waiting on the other side.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There seems to be a theme that each character comes with some sort of Partner. Joker has his little cat thing in his taunts and his persona, Hero has slime. Banjo has Kazooie, So the theory is saying that the last two characters are going to fit this theme of having a Partner character as a part of the character’s move set or at least in a taunt/final smash.
Jill Valentine gets Nemesis.

I regret nothing.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
Fighter #77:

'Your Dentist Drills the Teeth!'

There are also side colors for side DLC: Pink, Silver and Brown.

Pink is Dixie
Silver is Mallow
Brown is Porky.
please.... this would be a dream. the whole smrpg team would be together again!
however, i’m still terrified about how mallow’s 3d model would look. i mentioned it in this thread once but it’s a thought that never stops haunting me. i’d say that i see it in my dreams but they’re more like nightmares. is a soft and fluffy mallow too much to ask?

also, now that i think about it, geno and mallow are both from the sky, aren’t they? sure, geno’s much higher up but... they’re sky buddies......... i love them both so much............

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
So Phoenix would have Maya? I could see that..

In that case I can still very well see Geno fitting into that theory cause who's to say Mallow won't appear in a taunt of his? Of course one would be the nod he does when he gets healed/wins a battle, One would probably be a pose with his weapons or a taunt where the Geno doll goes limp and the star spirit goes out of his body but what would that one more be? I could easily see Mallow appear in a taunt of his/his Final Smash. We did get a Mallow spirit after all so who's to say that doesn't mean Mallow could be a small part of Geno's move set since he's probably as easy or easier to negotiate for than Geno himself.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Mallow: "My time has come."

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I assure you that if anyone is stopping Geno from being playable in 2019 it's Masahiro Sakurai. We've all discussed the leaps and bounds he would have had to have gone through to get Hero playable and yet despite the statistic improbability he pulled it off. Square-Enix thought Cloud was a weird choice and offered a more recent character or one that's been on a Nintendo console but it was 100% up to Sakurai who he wanted.

Reading Phil Spencer's interview regarding Banjo has me 100% convinced that literally anyone could be in. There are no more companies that won't play ball, there isn't a single game studio on the planet that wouldn't benefit from one of their characters in Smash. Nintendo pays them and then they get more money as a percentage of the DLC sales, and they get some of the best PR and advertisement in the business.

At this point we just have to believe Sakurai hasn't gone rogue and understands what the people want. Mii costumes for Hero will be our D-Day
Yeah, I'm believing this more and more. Sakurai can make anyone he wants playable and it seems like he's more in control with negotiations. I think if Sakurai really wanted to Geno would've been in the base game or at the very least would've taken Piranha Plant's place instead as the bonus DLC fighter. It just seems like Sakurai only wants to acknowledge Geno to an extent and not make him playable.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Several reasons. For Rayman, Sakurai and Nintendo just don't seem to give a crap about him. Ubisoft sent them a g-damn model, it doesn't get any more willing than that. Negotiations would have been super easy. Yet despite that, he's still not in. That leads me to believe they aren't interested in adding Rayman. Add to that the fact that he isn't popular in Japan and is a pretty bland character, he really needs that 'rewarding Ubisoft' card to get in imo.

For Doomguy, the not popular in Japan thing is even worse as they don't even like the genre Doomguy hails from (and invented). Unlike Rayman (who at least is pretty popular over here) Doomguy doesn't even have a big support base this side of the globe. Plus the fact that he would have to be toned down, and I just don't see them going through the effort of adding him unless they specifically wanted a Bethesda rep - in which case he's the frontrunner.

Tl;dr: both characters are pretty weak chance wise and their best shot at getting in would be as company reps rather than for their own merits imo.
Actually in the miiverse post back then, sakurai said they asked Ubisoft for art references so that they could make his trophy, and Ubisoft ended up sending them a 3D model for it instead just to make the work easier.

Just thought I'd clear that up

D

Deleted member

This is the DLC so far:

Not sure about blue
Orange is definitely Crash

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This. I've also explained before that their supervisor might have said this just to soften the blow but that would be kind of out of character based on everything they've shared. I wouldn't be surprised if this same supervisor was the person that teased Breath of the Wild 2 to him a few days before the E3 presentation with the cryptic hint about the Zelda news being "heartbreaking."

Datboigeno Datboigeno I've also kept Sakurai's statement about giving Geno fans "something" in the back of my mind. He basically admitted that the Mii costume was a consolation prize and didn't want his fans to walk away from Smash 4 totally empty handed. Four years later, we now have two more consolation prizes in the form of a spirit and online icon and it's kind of like, why bother? To everyone's chagrin last year, Nintendo basically admitted that they saw assist trophies as almost as big of fan appeasement as characters so why didn't they just do that? God knows they did it for tons of other characters, including a huge portion of the Mii costumes.
Man were they wrong about that. Nintendo and Sakurai needs to understand their Smash Bros fans a lot better because that was complete tone deaf if the disappoint of Bomberman, Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, and Ashley were any indicator. They may see Assist Trophies as an appeasement, but it has broke a lot of hearts for the fans as a result.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
i mentioned before that i’d want to see mallow in one of geno’s victory animations, but a taunt would be super cute too. they’re just creatures...... they cannot change this.........

speaking of which, if it were to happen, what would he do? i’ve had a few ideas albeit extremely self indulgent because i adore the idea of them having some sort of soft brother kind of dynamic

maybe something small such as mallow just appearing for a moment to cheer him on would work? i’m desperate to see them both again. sakurai and SE please bring back the kids.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
i mentioned before that i’d want to see mallow in one of geno’s victory animations, but a taunt would be super cute too. they’re just creatures...... they cannot change this.........

speaking of which, if it were to happen, what would he do? i’ve had a few ideas albeit extremely self indulgent because i adore the idea of them having some sort of soft brother kind of dynamic

maybe something small such as mallow just appearing for a moment to cheer him on would work? i’m desperate to see them both again. sakurai and SE please bring back the kids.
“Looking good Geno!”

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Man were they wrong about that. Nintendo and Sakurai needs to understand their Smash Bros fans a lot better because that was complete tone deaf if the disappoint of Bomberman, Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, and Ashley were any indicator. They may see Assist Trophies as an appeasement, but it has broke a lot of hearts for the fans as a result.
Lol right? Big difference between a character you can play as and one that only appears randomly out of like 60 others and that’s only if an assist trophy spawns.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
as cute as this would be, this makes me wonder how mallow would sound. how would they make him sound? i fear they’d mess it up terribly.
My voice claim for the longest was Steven Universe for him, but you know what?

Now I can't help but imagine him sounding like Morgana.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's assume that we're only getting one season pass for the moment and take a look at one aspect. Even when all 5 Fighter Pass characters and their stages are revealed, there's one thing that should be noted: a single empty spot in the stage selection. Sakurai is not the kind of person to leave empty spaces, so that could mean one of two things. Either a single bonus stage will happen at the end of the DLC cycle or a possible bonus DLC character with a stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom