• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Let's assume that we're only getting one season pass for the moment and take a look at one aspect. Even when all 5 Fighter Pass characters and their stages are revealed, there's one thing that should be noted: a single empty spot in the stage selection. Sakurai is not the kind of person to leave empty spaces, so that could mean one of two things. Either a single bonus stage will happen at the end of the DLC cycle or a possible bonus DLC character with a stage.
He kinda did in 4, but that game didn't have good UI in the first place, so I don't think it should count. With Ultimate, there was distinct attention given to the UI so it could be better.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Look, as I said respect you a lot Ovaltine. I'm so happy for Banjo and yes it makes it easier to deal with Geno's absence. Like you said, I already know you work hard advocating Geno, and I thought youd given up. I'm glad to hear that's a misunderstanding, because I see you as a spearhead for the fanbase.

I never meant to attack your "character"and I'm sorry you read it that way. Again i will apologize for the misunderstandings but lo and behold you have nothing to say when it came to assuming mine on Tuesday. Not only you but a few others. I'm glad you have clarified that you have no beef with anyone being upset , because Tueday as far as people being upset there was "nothing you could about it".

I'm plenty mature and rational, albeit I had a rough time Tuesday. Judge me on a bad moment if you want. Nothing says ad hominem more than "grow the hell up" and talking down to me as though I dont know it's a game. You want to talk insulting? I wanted to apologize regardless. Sorry things came off worse than I intended.

I wont keep this going, but I guess I expected better. Just wanted kinship over a mutual interest. I never meant to cause so much trouble. Peace.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
So I have an ironclad baseless theory going on for the DLC that's so brilliant, its illegal in 34 states.

The DLC Rainbow Theory. (trademark)

Assume just six DLC characters. Each character in Ultimate gets a background color on the site and amiibo box (Mario red, Pikachu yellow, Robin purple, etc).

This is the DLC so far:
Red: Joker
Yellow: Banjo and Kazooie
Green: Plantain
Purple: Hero Sandwich

The character picks use a color that represents them the best: Red Mementos, yellow jiggy, green plant, purple Android 17.

That leaves 2 colors and 2 DLC spots (no one cares about you, indigo). Orange and Blue will be related to the last 2 fighters .

Who is feeling Blue? Not Geno as he'll be happy being the blue entry. And orange? Crash Bandicoot.

So that's your DLC roster, brought to you by Masahiro Skittles.
Blue = Geno
Orange = Bandana Waddle Dee
I rest my case.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
everyone’s theories on which characters are going to be orange and blue are great and all but i raise you this:
blue - sonic 2
orange - mario but hes fully orange

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's assume that we're only getting one season pass for the moment and take a look at one aspect. Even when all 5 Fighter Pass characters and their stages are revealed, there's one thing that should be noted: a single empty spot in the stage selection. Sakurai is not the kind of person to leave empty spaces, so that could mean one of two things. Either a single bonus stage will happen at the end of the DLC cycle or a possible bonus DLC character with a stage.
I thought that last spot is the Custom Stage Icon or something like that?

But yeah, Smash 4 has proven that we shouldn't use UI's as a good reason.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Blue = Geno
Orange = Bandana Waddle Dee
I rest my case.
I don’t believe in a “color theory” at all, but if it were true I’d think Phoenix and Crash would fit that better. Especially since it seems like the Fighter Pass is focusing on third parties and specifically ones that haven’t been in Smash yet in any form.

BWD being a first party and Geno being a SE rep when we already have Cloud and just got DQ.... I don’t know.

Geno and BWD are more interesting to me though then those two. Well..... at least Geno. Nothing against BWD because he’s adorable and I’m all for his inclusion, but Crash in Smash with Mario and Sonic would be pretty sweet, and I’m someone that hasn’t even played Crash. I just recognize his importance to video games in the 90’s.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Look, as I said respect you a lot Ovaltine. I'm so happy for Banjo and yes it makes it easier to deal with Geno's absence. Like you said, I already know you work hard advocating Geno, and I thought youd given up. I'm glad to hear that's a misunderstanding, because I see you as a spearhead for the fanbase.

I never meant to attack your "character"and I'm sorry you read it that way. Again i will apologize for the misunderstandings but lo and behold you have nothing to say when it came to assuming mine on Tuesday. Not only you but a few others. I'm glad you have clarified that you have no beef with anyone being upset , because Tueday as far as people being upset there was "nothing you could about it".

I'm plenty mature and rational, albeit I had a rough time Tuesday. Judge me on a bad moment if you want. Nothing says ad hominem more than "grow the hell up" and talking down to me as though I dont know it's a game.
I will say that I looked back and saying that 'I don't care if Geno makes it in at this point' does sound a little rough towards the people who do care, and for that, I apologize. I meant it more as a personal statement, strictly so. It was poor wording on my part. I more meant that I wouldn't be extremely upset if he didn't make it this time, and given my past with this thread (being emotionally distraught at even the thought of Geno not making it), it was kind of a reassurance that my emotions would be kept in check. I know I've received flak for it before, understandably so (no one likes to see that kind of negativity), so that's more along the lines of what I meant.

With that said, I retaliated because I felt like you were attacking me for 'putting people down', which is far from my intent. I may have been excessively defensive, but it really hurt to see that when I'd defend Geno and his fan base tooth and nail. Also... I have no idea what you mean by assuming 'yours' (your what?) on Tuesday and that of others. I'm not saying that I don't know out of a sense of, "What the heck is your problem?" just to clarify. I... legitimately, genuinely don't know what you mean by that? I can't really understand what you're trying to say.

orange - mario but hes fully orange
so sponge

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So unfortunately, Tansut on ResetERA said that he's "not holding his breath" over another Square rep and specifically cited Geno and Sora.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-able-quest-ions.122111/page-84#post-21836111
For those who will want it quoted instead of visiting the site:
I don't have anything left in the tank, gang. I haven't heard anything about any other characters, so personally I wouldn't hold my breath for Geno, Sora, etc.

I'm not going to explicitly hard de-confirm anybody though because I'm just a schmuck that has a lucky in, which means I don't know every single thing there is to know. You can see that in how I got the female alts for Hero wrong. Being aware of alts and knowing exactly what all of them are ended up being different things, which is why I said they allegedly had male and female alts. It seemed likely but it was also something I was the least concrete about. I'm frankly extremely baffled that female alts didn't happen though. What an oversight by SE.

But hey, if I ever find out anything else I'll be sure to either vaguely hint at it or just outright say something if I can.
I'd take this with a grain of salt, especially since Tansut himself implies to do so ("I'm just a schmuck that has a lucky in, which means I don't know every single thing there is to know."), but that does look like things don't look good for Geno. That said, that also means he hasn't heard anything about the Mii costume, so... that is a good sign, too? I guess?

There is also the fact that Luminary and company were honestly the worst kept secret in Smash history. We knew about them for a long time, and multiple people got that info, even bad leakers like LeakyPandy (supposedly, or they just got lucky). Geno could always be a different story.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I thought that last spot is the Custom Stage Icon or something like that?

But yeah, Smash 4 has proven that we shouldn't use UI's as a good reason.
Nope, the custom stages have their own tab and they don't go into the last spot.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

I'd take this with a grain of salt, especially since Tansut himself implies to do so ("I'm just a schmuck that has a lucky in, which means I don't know every single thing there is to know."), but that does look like things don't look good for Geno. That said, that also means he hasn't heard anything about the Mii costume, so... that is a good sign, too? I guess?
Rather have the Mii costume back then nothing at all. And I feel like we will.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I don't think this is too bad of a sign as Tansut himself said that they're not some all knowing leaker, He's just a lucky schmuck who has an in. Yes it's slightly unsettling but we can all around say that this doesn't hurt Geno too badly.

And hey maybe by next month to two months by now things may change, Verge didn't get K. Rool or Dark Samus when he seemed unstoppable last year so nobody knows everything for a fact. I still have hope for Geno.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Banjo's reveal has gotten mine hopes up for Geno. As of now, Geno is among mine most wanted third-party characters, along with 2B and Dante. Given his popularity, I'll be surprised if he wasn't on the list Nintendo gave to Sakurai. Furthermore, I fancy the Smash Ballot affected his chances as well. Lastly, Hero's reveal shows that Square Enix is open to more of their characters being in Smash. That said, I'd say Geno stands a chance. Here's hoping.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
My voice claim for the longest was Steven Universe for him, but you know what?

Now I can't help but imagine him sounding like Morgana.

Hmm, y’know I think you’re on to something. Morgana’s voice really fits Mallow. Now I’m imagining Arsene’s voice saying, “I serve a higher authority,” instead of, “I am thou, thou art I.”

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
My hopes are that Geno's mii costume will come back, so it seems like he isn't going to be in but then it ends up just being fake-out and they reveal him probably outside of the fighter's pass. I can still see him being in the pass, it'll just be not as likely for me.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I will say that I looked back and saying that 'I don't care if Geno makes it in at this point' does sound a little rough towards the people who do care, and for that, I apologize. I meant it more as a personal statement, strictly so. It was poor wording on my part. I more meant that I wouldn't be extremely upset if he didn't make it this time, and given my past with this thread (being emotionally distraught at even the thought of Geno not making it), it was kind of a reassurance that my emotions would be kept in check. I know I've received flak for it before, understandably so (no one likes to see that kind of negativity), so that's more along the lines of what I meant.

With that said, I retaliated because I felt like you were attacking me for 'putting people down', which is far from my intent. I may have been excessively defensive, but it really hurt to see that when I'd defend Geno and his fan base tooth and nail. Also... I have no idea what you mean by assuming 'yours' (your what?) on Tuesday and that of others. I'm not saying that I don't know out of a sense of, "What the heck is your problem?" just to clarify. I... legitimately, genuinely don't know what you mean by that? I can't really understand what you're trying to say.

so sponge
Okay well I never set out with intention of attacking you, in fact, I've stated i respect and can relate to you.

It's just that for me, you are a person that if you give up on Geno, the entire thing collapses. I can tell from all you do you feel as passionate as I do. (And i admit to being a bit too passionate and sensitive at times.

And to clarify, after I vented to here that I was upset about the state of Geno in this game, you had made a post I thought was referring to my vented frustrations and dismissing them. It really hurt me in the moment.

So I guess when I read how you didnt care I misinterpreted it. I guess compiled with several other things going on in my life, i exploded, and I will admit that was entirely the wrong thing to do.

I humbly apologize and I never meant it as a solely personal attack. Someone else here also responded to my vent as me needing to get my priorities straight. And I felt that was condescending as well though I'm remiss as to who said it. It left me feeling dismissed and rejected. And nnowhere else takes kindly to Geno these days.

I really really am sorry for the misunderstanding and I'd like to extend an olive branch. We're in this together, after all.

And Im using Banjo to get through sadness as well, so I understand.

I know you dont know me irl, but believe me when I say I've been feeling guilty since I posted earlier. I really never meant to hurt feelings, and I should've exercised more self control. Do forgive me, if you can find that you can.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay well I never set out with intention of attacking you, in fact, I've stated i respect and can relate to you.

It's just that for me, you are a person that if you give up on Geno, the entire thing collapses. I can tell from all you do you feel as passionate as I do. (And i admit to being a bit too passionate and sensitive at times.

And to clarify, after I vented to here that I was upset about the state of Geno in this game, you had made a post I thought was referring to my vented frustrations and dismissing them. It really hurt me in the moment.

So I guess when I read how you didnt care I misinterpreted it. I guess compiled with several other things going on in my life, i exploded, and I will admit that was entirely the wrong thing to do.

I humbly apologize and I never meant it as a solely personal attack. Someone else here also responded to my vent as me needing to get my priorities straight. And I felt that was condescending as well though I'm remiss as to who said it. It left me feeling dismissed and rejected. And nnowhere else takes kindly to Geno these days.

I really really am sorry for the misunderstanding and I'd like to extend an olive branch. We're in this together, after all.

And Im using Banjo to get through sadness as well, so I understand.

I know you dont know me irl, but believe me when I say I've been feeling guilty since I posted earlier. I really never meant to hurt feelings, and I should've exercised more self control. Do forgive me, if you can find that you can.
OHHH okay! Okay, now I see what you mean! I totally forgive you then. I'm so sorry that I hadn't worded things better. I get what you're saying. If it helps, I will never give up on Geno, whatever happens. I'll always fight for his return, and I will always hope for people to treat Geno's fans with more respect. It'll always be a rough ride, but we're all in it together. <3 Sorry for being so angry myself, too. No hard feelings, eh?

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
OHHH okay! Okay, now I see what you mean! I totally forgive you then. I'm so sorry that I hadn't worded things better. I get what you're saying. If it helps, I will never give up on Geno, whatever happens. I'll always fight for his return, and I will always hope for people to treat Geno's fans with more respect. It'll always be a rough ride, but we're all in it together. <3 Sorry for being so angry myself, too. No hard feelings, eh?
Oh man thank you so much! I was literally crying over here like what have I done? I really love everything you do for this community.

No hard feelings at all then. I'll work harder to be better with my feelings in the future

ZelDan

Smash Master
mallow, geno loves you and you're like a little brother to him

but he is going to yeet you into the ****ing stars
Geno: "Hey Mallow, remember how Bowser was able to toss Mario as an attack?"
Mallow: "Errr, yeah......but why are you bringing this up?"
Geno: "..."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
People are already finding new theories about how Geno could still be in... Theories with concrete stuff...

Welp , still here. If DQ has more than 2 songs and has a complete spirit board... This is seriously going to turn the tables.
That mean that if they can add content more freely , they'll do it. So it's an amazing plus for Geno.

However , there still is the issue of cross-promotion... Because damn , even Corrin's trailer felt less like an add that DQ Hero's trailer. They litteraly transitionned into DQ 11 S trailer.

So uh... PUT GENO AND MALLOW IN DQ/FF SQUARE ENIX PLS THX YOU BYE

As to the theories... Color theory feel more like a cute coincidence for me.
Companion theory don't work. Banjo and Kazooie are equally as important to each other. Morgana and Slimes are just taunts and mascotts.

But seriously tho , it's impressive how this community doesn't want to give up. That's some real determination. I will Geno Flash the first one to do an Undertale meme

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
People are already finding new theories about how Geno could still be in... Theories with concrete stuff...

Welp , still here. If DQ has more than 2 songs and has a complete spirit board... This is seriously going to turn the tables.
That mean that if they can add content more freely , they'll do it. So it's an amazing plus for Geno.

However , there still is the issue of cross-promotion... Because damn , even Corrin's trailer felt less like an add that DQ Hero's trailer. They litteraly transitionned into DQ 11 S trailer.

So uh... PUT GENO AND MALLOW IN DQ/FF SQUARE ENIX PLS THX YOU BYE

As to the theories... Color theory feel more like a cute coincidence for me.
Companion theory don't work. Banjo and Kazooie are equally as important to each other. Morgana and Slimes are just taunts and mascotts.

But seriously tho , it's impressive how this community doesn't want to give up. That's some real determination. I will Geno Flash the first one to do an Undertale meme
Yeah no way do we want to give up on our boy, We made it this far and we can go further, Higher, Faster! We aren't done yet and until then I'll give it my all to support Geno getting into Smash or some sort of return. If Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo can all make it we can too. While some other people may be discussing that Sakurai may be the one withholding Geno I for one have faith in Sakurai and in Nintendo after they proven themselves with adding Banjo.

We can do this!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I appreciate his honesty about getting various details wrong about Hero. Looks like we're all in same boat in that we're not seeing Geno's way in as totally straight forward.
Same. Tansut didn't backpedal(I think. See the next sentence). Though I don't remember if they actually said it was "likely" there'd be female alts or if he directly declared it would be the case.

He was clearly surprised by the Luminary thing, and it absolutely fits why he was told "sure why not". From this alone, I'm absolutely sure Erdrick was an alt from the start and they had intended to go with the latest Hero as the face. Which makes a ton of sense, due to having the most exposure.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I just want to say I think it's amazing that everyone's being as optimistic as they are. Back when the ballot happened (well before I ever got into smash speculation) and I cast my vote, I didn't realize that our little blue boi had the following he does, I genuinely thought it'd be me and maybe one or two other people that even cared. and yet here we all are, that thought alone does wonders for my spirit.
TBH I think a nice chunk of people here (myself included) did have some level of want for DQ Hero (another Square RPG, even though it basically deconfirms Geno for this Fighter's Pass) and/or Banjo and Kazooie (completely different genre, not even made by a team in the East, but still a hugely-wanted fan favorite). Geno was, is, and forever will be my #1 top pick, but I'm still riding the high of getting my #2 (B-K) in just a few days ago. Plus, B-K getting in kinda proves that anything is possible, even if the series is dead/being used/whatever people want to say (a series with no games on it in forever and fans being displeased for a long @$$ time), if a character is popular and asked for enough, anything is possible!

I honestly just wish we knew Square's thoughts on Geno. Like are they willing to let him be playable someday or do they not see his potential and refuse? I really just want to know if he really isn't going to ever have a shot or not. The anticipation is killing me knowing we were so close in sm4sh and yet don't have any specific answers for ultimate.
I don't think it's a matter of letting him into Smash (they already have twice, technically), but a matter of two things: Is he as popular and wanted as we think he is (we don't know the true results of the ballot) and how much does Square want for him as a fighter, not just an appearance.

So unfortunately, Tansut on ResetERA said that he's "not holding his breath" over another Square rep and specifically cited Geno and Sora.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-able-quest-ions.122111/page-84#post-21836111
Now the question being is this just in regards to the FP or have they already picked post-FP DLC? My money's on "in this Fighter's Pass", and if we're to expect more DLC post-FP, there's always a chance. I firmly believe in Mii Costume theory (DQ's detailed pack reveal will deconfirm or bolster the theory if we get the Geno [and Chocobo?] costume), so I really wouldn't expect to see anything on Geno til 2020 at the earliest.

Just a reminder that all the Fighter's Pass picks were made (as in picked, not created), by Nintendo (not Sakurai) before the game even released. To pick two fighters are a single company that's third party would be... odd.

Edit: Rip, should've edited the previous post, my B.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Okay, so I've been busy helping the Banjobros with a thank-you signature campaign, but I'm still keeping an eye out here.

Ooh, we're almost at a thousand pages. I'm tingling.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Yeah no way do we want to give up on our boy, We made it this far and we can go further, Higher, Faster! We aren't done yet and until then I'll give it my all to support Geno getting into Smash or some sort of return. If Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo can all make it we can too. While some other people may be discussing that Sakurai may be the one withholding Geno I for one have faith in Sakurai and in Nintendo after they proven themselves with adding Banjo.

We can do this!
I'm still on the boat on "SE is okay with it if they have a new game for cross-promotion or are just a bonus" personnaly. I wasn't sure about the bonus character route , but damn , Banjo and Kazooie made me realized that even 3rd parties can get in on almost only fan support.

I ain't giving up too , I'm too stubborn. He'll come back one day... And if it's not smash , it's going to be something else.

---

Also , god Nintendo E3 gave me a lot of stuff to look forward to ! Luigi's Mansion 3 , Link's Awakening , Spyro reignited trilogy , Super Lucky's Tale ! I'm just hoping for Rare Replay...
And Pikmin 4. God , I hope this game won't be the new Mother 3 lol. 6 years... It's starting to get a bit worriesome...
But yeah , lot of good stuff. I'm also even interested by DQ 11 S... But reality will hit me hard when I'll see the 70 dollars price tag lol.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Didn't anyone notice how Square Enix's entire E3 showcase was "hey look at all the games we are remastering or re-releasing" I believe Super Mario RPG can't be to far behind. Perfect time for him to be a bonus character.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think the best chance for Geno at this point is outside of the Pass.

Like, I could see them announcing a special Mario double-pack next year, maybe a triple-pack that retroactively adds Piranha Plant but is cheaper if you already own it. Knocking out two massive requests that happen to be in the same franchise with a single stone.

Or, as the above poster also says, I could totally see Geno as a pre-order bonus(but obviously also available as regular DLC) for a SMRPG remake.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Didn't anyone notice how Square Enix's entire E3 showcase was "hey look at all the games we are remastering or re-releasing" I believe Super Mario RPG can't be to far behind. Perfect time for him to be a bonus character.
I want to see B-K and B-T remade as well.

Hell, Rare and Square have some pretty nice options for revivals.

I also wonder if we'll see a true Super Zelda Maker at some point.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I want to see B-K and B-T remade as well.

Hell, Rare and Square have some pretty nice options for revivals.

I also wonder if we'll see a true Super Zelda Maker at some point.
I wonder if the dungeon maker in the LA remake is testing the waters for that.

Firox

Smash Master
Geno: "Hey Mallow, remember how Bowser was able to toss Mario as an attack?"
Mallow: "Errr, yeah......but why are you bringing this up?"
Geno: "..."
"C'mon, let's do 'Get help'!"
"Oh no, not 'get help'. It's downright embarrassing."
"Not for me, it's not..."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's kind of ironic that Hero's addition is actually making us more hopeful than anything. As my grumbling hardass self said when the DQ rumors first emerged, there was a ton of red tape and yet Sakurai managed to overcome all of it, including the music with honest to god remixes. On paper, getting just one of the DQ Heros would have been a collosal pain in the ass but he got ALL 11 plus Slime. Seriously, who is this man? Of course, choosing Banjo over Steve was kind of a miracle too if we're totally honest with ourselves. This is a crazy game with expectations and logical conclusions being BTFO left and right.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think it's great that so many people are hopeful for Geno's return in the future in some form. That said rather than only remaining just hopeful about it there are more proactive actions we could take. Operation Starfall is already attempting to do some cool stuff to get people's attention on Geno. There are things people could do outside of that even if they sound really mundane/minor. Nintendo of Japan, Nintendo of America, and Square Enix have social media accounts and they most definitely pay attention to what fans want. Like people could just randomly share art of Geno/SMRPG and discuss how much he and the game mean to you and how much you'd like them back in some form. I know a lot of us are assuming something might be happening with Geno/SMRPG down the line but we don't for sure know that's the case. But If enough people take to social media or other avenues to promote their desire for more Geno/SMRPG companies will pay attention. You can bet your ass that's a big reason why Rare and Nintendo got Banjo and Kazooie in Ultimate. Remember that Rare specifically said "You asked. We listened. Nintendo were listening too".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom