• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I totally admit that Geno's chances are a hail mary to end all others, but let me say this: If he does get in, and he still could considering Ridley did even after Sakurai EXPLICITLY said he couldn't, then I will savor every feather of crow these haters are gonna eat. I'm gonna main that little wooden ***-kicker and wreck so many ppl both online and in tournament that ppl will have no choice but to regard him as top tier. That is my bargain to those mewling quims!
Same if my asthmatic child defies all odds as well!

View attachment 205848
Preach it!

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish so badly that we knew the results of the smash ballot. I suspect that Nintendo has purposely kept the results secret so that ppl wouldn't rage at the fact that many fan favorites are being ignored for commercial reasons. So many of the fan-generated smash polls I've seen had Isaac and Geno consistently in the top five, but Nintendo probably just decided to focus on the ones with upcoming games and more profitable relevance. Then again, we have tons of outliers so it's almost impossible to pin down any kind of modus operandi for Nintendo.
As sad as it is, it might be better if we didn't know the full results of the Smash Ballot because most people would probably be attacking the fanbases of the characters that did better than their characters who most people thought had a better chance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wish so badly that we knew the results of the smash ballot. I suspect that Nintendo has purposely kept the results secret so that ppl wouldn't rage at the fact that many fan favorites are being ignored for commercial reasons. So many of the fan-generated smash polls I've seen had Isaac and Geno consistently in the top five, but Nintendo probably just decided to focus on the ones with upcoming games and more profitable relevance. Then again, we have tons of outliers so it's almost impossible to pin down any kind of modus operandi for Nintendo.
Characters aren't divided as fan favorites and promotional characters. Limiting developers to one would kill the creative freedom that goes into the newcomer roster.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Characters aren't divided as fan favorites and promotional characters. Limiting developers to one would kill the creative freedom that goes into the newcomer roster.
Yep, every character has people out there rooting for them whether their popular or not.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
We don't know for sure if it's that SE doesn't WANT him in or if it's something else. We DO know that SE charged some serious bongos for Nintendo to get a hold of Cloud, so it could be that they placed a price on Geno that Nintendo hasn't been willing to pay. The fact that we don't know the reason isn't enough proof to rule Geno out just yet.
Well, we don’t know that Nintendo paid a lot for Cloud. That’s never been confirmed, except for leakers, Tansut being one of the main figures to reinforce that claim... are we just cherry picking which info we like and don’t like from leakers now? It’s believable, sure, but so is Erdrick for that matter. We just have to take it as a possibility and not a confirmation like any leaker related stuff.

I don’t want to see that toxic reality. Nintendo’s under no obligation to release the results and speculation would just get nose dived into being completely around those results. Any character who didn’t place highly would be shut down by most of the community. We already see this with unofficial ballot polls, so imagine how much worse things get if the official ones are released. Not to mention it would just be a huge headache for Nintendo to constantly have to hear fans ***** that the next character wasn’t either one of the list or the top placing character.

Yeah, no, **** that noise.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Even if the results were released, people would still say that they don't count for one reason or another. For example, they'd have to remove any obvious troll votes, or votes for characters who aren't from video games (ex. Goku, Mickey Mouse, James Bond, etc.), or maybe even votes for characters from uncooperative third parties (characters from Konami, Activision, etc.), and people would use that to claim that they removed other characters (probably their personal favourites) as well. (for example, if Ridley wasn't in the top five, people would claim that he got a ton of votes but was excluded because of Sakurai bias/being a stage hazard in Smash 4)

Also, it would heavily divide the fanbase (say Dixie and K. Rool came in 3rd and 5th; both fanbases would be up in arms because if the other character's fans had voted for their character, then they would have gotten in Smash 4) and give away who would be included in future Smash games.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My opinion of releasing the ballot results is as such:

If you think Smash fandom is full of toxicity now, that would only make it about 100x worse than it already is. It'd make the landscape now seem like a paradise.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yep, every character has people out there rooting for them whether their popular or not.
It's not even that. A lot of people already treat Sakurai like a machine whose only purpose is putting popular characters into Smash.

Fan demand should be taken into consideration but I prefer games having capable directors with more control over their work.

Firox

Smash Master
But that's my point. Corrin is a perfect example of a promo character. Sure they have a fanbase NOW, but at the time of release, they were a convenient promotion for the soon to come Fire Emblem Fates. Joker would also fall into this category with the well timed advent of Persona 5 for switch. I'm not saying these character can't also be favorites for someone, but if Nintendo limits the DLC to only currently relevance franchises, then that would definitely limit creative freedom and frankly the hype of the smash fanbase. Fortunately, Sakurai himself seems to balance fairly well between new and retro newcomers, but I'm speculating as to how the Nintendo execs see things. I know how business ppl think. At the end of the day, all they want to see are dollar signs (or yen XD). Hopefully that's not the only thing deciding the DLC picks.

And now that you guys mention it, I guess you're right. Elitism is bad enough in the smash fanbase already. Publicizing the results would drop it into the seventh circle of hell.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not even that. A lot of people already treat Sakurai like a machine whose only purpose is putting popular characters into Smash.

Fan demand should be taken into consideration but I prefer games having capable directors with more control over their work.
If all characters was just popular picks, than there really wouldn't be any balance of creativity in the roster.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
He won't. He'll be used as leakbait or clickbait for thumbnails to build hype. That's his fate and his entire purpose at this point. Just to get attention. Square doesn't care. They want profit from their new games. It's all about the money. This was supposed to be the game thay sarisfies all the fans, except us.
Alright , I'm not gonna act like "You're wrong and I'm right !" kind of guy. I can understand the feeling. I didn't supported him for so long , but I can at least understand the frustration.

But let me tell you one thing... A dead character is a forgotten character , wich is far from Geno's case.

As official presence in games go , he have:

-Super Mario RPG (SNES , Wii VC , Wii U VC , SNES Classic)
-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
-Sm4sh
-Smash Ultimate

Even if the last 3 weren't major roles... He was here. This more than 20 year old one off character from that one RPG on the SNES... Is still here.
The gaming world is very cruel , it's hard for characters to be remembered. Even games.

Now , I can understand the point about leakbaits videos and such.
He's a popular character in Smash speculation , with a lot of supporters , so a lot of people simply want him. It's annoying to see a character you love used like that , even if it's just in the end , a kid trying to get attention on youtube.

However , if they didn't wanted to satisfy us... Why the Geno and Mallow spirit ? Why , out of all Square Enix content , them ? They have no reason to be here , except for the people who wanted them. They could have spend money on FF spirits , but instead , we got them.

I'm going to agree on one thing with Ovaltine , Geno's chances are looking bleak... For Smash.
There is just too much competition , I don't think he can handle it. Right now , he's not a big enough priority for Nintendo and Sora Limited to warrant a DLC slot for the fighter pass , especially since he's 3rd party. In my opinion , he's probably going to have a costume alongside the Square rep (Erdrick or not , I ****ing don't care.)

The Geno fanbase made a ton of progress since Pre-Brawl. Look at where we are today.

Did we reached our goal ? No. We're not at lvl 30 , kicking Culex ass.
Right now... We're at the mushroom kingdom , after recruting Peach. Not the end , but still , nice progress. The full team is here.

What I want to say is that we have all the ingredients necessary for SMRPG to make a comeback. (Supporters , Nintendo making SMRPG nods , relevancy , ect...)

Maybe not with Smash , but with the Mario franchise.

We need to make Geno , and SMRPG as a whole , a priority to Nintendo and Square Enix.

If we make enough noise , if we're loud enough... Why , as a company , Square Enix and Nintendo would ignore it?

SE has all the characters we want , they have a good relationship with Nintendo , they'll know everyone want these characters , that they can work with Nintendo , that these characters can be used as a bridge for Nintendo X Square Enix cross-over or for DLCs for a ton of SE and Nintendo games... They will be profitable. This will give them a good image while bringing money.

SMRPG didn't come back because the focus was Geno in Smash. Just... Imagine if more people shift their focus toward operation starfall... That would be what would bring them back.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
But that's my point. Corrin is a perfect example of a promo character. Sure they have a fanbase NOW, but at the time of release, they were a convenient promotion for the soon to come Fire Emblem Fates. Joker would also fall into this category with the well timed advent of Persona 5 for switch. I'm not saying these character can't also be favorites for someone, but if Nintendo limits the DLC to only currently relevance franchises, then that would definitely limit creative freedom and frankly the hype of the smash fanbase. Fortunately, Sakurai himself seems to balance fairly well between new and retro newcomers, but I'm speculating as to how the Nintendo execs see things. I know how business ppl think. At the end of the day, all they want to see are dollar signs (or yen XD). Hopefully that's not the only thing deciding the DLC picks.

And now that you guys mention it, I guess you're right. Elitism is bad enough in the smash fanbase already. Publicizing the results would drop it into the seventh circle of hell.
I can't imagine that money would be the only motivator when it comes to the DLC choices. Out of the seven characters that we got in Smash 4, two of them (Roy and Lucas) were semi-clones from Japan-exclusive games. Sure, they had an established Smash fanbase, but there wasn't as much uproar about their removal as there was for Ice Climbers or Mewtwo.

For this game's DLC, we got Piranha Plant as a playable character, and before we saw gameplay, I can't imagine that too many people were demanding or would be willing to buy a Piranha Plant character. It seems to be a mix of what would make them money, what's popular/relevant, and what Sakurai and his team would enjoy creating - there's no single piece of criteria that can determine what we'll get for DLC, and even with literal years of speculation on the topic, they still find ways to surprise us. (as seen by the inclusions of Piranha Plant, a random Mario enemy, and Joker, an extremely recent third party character who's only appeared on Nintendo consoles through spin-offs)

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
At this point, why even argue. They're right, Geno is dead at this point. Square is a company about profit, they don't care about old character that people love when they can shill out new ones and make the same/more money because they are more recognizable due to a new audience.

There has been absolutely zero attempt to make Geno relevant in recent years, and it this point it's very apparent that they won't make him relevant.

Erdrick is in, and I've accepted our defeat. Been fighting this fight for over a decade and all I got was a lousy spirit.
I have no doubt that Nintendo loves geno, that is fact. Square, not so much. They are the ones who own geno, not necessarily nintendo, it's mainly square. There's no merch of geno that they sell, they didnt allow him in the super star saga remake, they removed his mii costumes etc.

What straw is even possible to grasp at this point? They don't care for him, and would rather sell what they have currently because more people know about it. That's why we're never getting a remake or sequel.

The battle has been over for a long time, we lost. Big time.
The thing is that we're fighting a losing war. PolarPanda has left us, every leaker has left us, nearly everyone is in the mindset that it's erdrick and that Geno is never going to leave as a spirit. We're a laughing stock for being so delusional to STILL have the belief that Geno has any shot at this point. We were and still are top 5 in nearly every poll for over a decade, and that's gotten us a mii costume, and then have that mii costume removed. We're getting nowhere.
He won't. He'll be used as leakbait or clickbait for thumbnails to build hype. That's his fate and his entire purpose at this point. Just to get attention. Square doesn't care. They want profit from their new games. It's all about the money. This was supposed to be the game thay sarisfies all the fans, except us.
I guess it was more for internet polls that I've seen. Also japan had their own poll recently and geno ranked forth.

Just goes to show how little of priority geno really is with his popularity, adding a piranha plant and probably erdrick to put salt in the wounds.

He really feels like an afterthought.
Okay, I'm going to need you to check yourself before you wreck the optimism that I just recently helped re-surge in this thread.

You know what else I'm going to need you to do? To stop acting like you know everything, because you don't. In fact, as EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman has pointed out, you don't even understand that Square isn't even truly the issue or the biggest issue here, yet you blame them and act all 'woe is us, our chance will never come' and I'm going to need you to take that weak and uninformed **** somewhere else.

You know nothing of Square and Nintendo's current relationship, you know nothing about Square's intents with the SMRPG characters they own, you know nothing about what Sakurai can and can't do and what he has and has not done. You don't know that the DQ3 Protagonist is in Smash as DLC in any way shape or form, you don't know if Geno being a Spirit tosses out his DLC chances, and you don't know if DQ3 Protag getting in would kill Geno's chances. What you know is what we know, which is what has happened in the past and things Sakurai and other Nintendo persons have said.

Now, everyone say it with me ONCE AGAIN *ahem*

LEAKERS DON'T MEAN ****!!

They are just an avatar with a wall of text saying that they know better without showing a goddamn thing to prove it and we are just supposed to believe them unquestioningly. If you choose to throw away who knows how much time spent supporting a character and stop pushing for him, that's fine. If you choose to believe people that can in no way prove anything they say and ignore how much attention Geno has gotten in just recent years, you can do that. If you have given up on Geno ever being anything ever again, you are allowed to think so, but do NOT try and push your pathetic attitude here.

This is a thread for people who support the character and push to have him return in some form, not for people to discourage supporters and try to get them to quit. In that case, you are on the same level as the randoms who jump in here just to flame us for supporting him.

WE refuse to give up, WE continue to show how much we love a character that won over our hearts from a game that came out nearly 23 years ago and has been with us ever since. WE continue to recognize that his chances are not gone, but that he's been acknowledged more than ever and that his chances are at their highest. WE will continue to make fan art and push his likeness on social media and work up our movement and support others who do so as well.

WE are now in the part of the narrative where everyone else looks down on us because we are honest about what we love, but only time will tell if this is the narrative where our passion falls on deaf ears or if our narrative is the one in which our love shines through and true and achieves us what we want.

So, you've got some options: you can reflect and realize that this worst-case scenario is just all in your head and that you have overreacted incredibly and join us, or you can choose to keep wallowing in this woeful world of your own imagination. It's up to you, but if you choose to continue to wallow, with all respect don't post it here. There is a difference between realistic banter and being grounded, and then there is what you are doing.

I can't make you leave, and I would rather you wake up than actually leave, but at the very least keep your depressive bull**** to yourself and quit trying to make us give up.

Last edited:

hinode

Smash Cadet
One thing to keep in mind is that online fan polls tend to remove all confirmed newcomers and often even confirmed assist trophies, all of whom were legal to vote for in the Smash ballot. This obviously has huge ramifications on what the results look like.

We don't have the official ballot results, but we have seen fans take existing data and filter it out, quite misleadingly in my opinion. Here is an unofficial poll of Japanese internet users made by Source Gaming back in 2015, including an infographic of the top 19. Here is a filtered version of that same data that removed all the vets, Inkling, K. Rool, Ashley, and Krystal, which was made by someone not from Source Gaming and spread around the internet prerelease. Geno and Banjo came in 9th and 10th on SG's original poll, which is honestly still respectable given their age, but no where near as impressive as coming in 3rd and 4th on the filtered list. They technically came from the same source, but all the filtering results in a poll that looks very, very different.

We don't have the actual ballot results, but we know for a fact that K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon Belmont all did well (especially K. Rool), Inklings propably did very well, and we have lots of reason to believe the various cut vets did as well, especiallly the likes of Snake and Wolf. "Top 5" characters in 2018-2019 fan polls were probably in the 10-20 range at best during the actual Smash ballot, which doesn't look nearly as impressive.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm going to need you to check yourself before you wreck the optimism that I just recently helped re-surge in this thread.

You know what else I'm going to need you to do? To stop acting like you know everything, because you don't. In fact, as EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman has pointed out, you don't even understand that Square isn't even truly the issue or the biggest issue here, yet you blame them and act all 'woe is us, our chance will never come' and I'm going to need you to take that weak and uninformed **** somewhere else.

You know nothing of Square and Nintendo's current relationship, you know nothing about Square's intents with the SMRPG characters they own, you know nothing about what Sakurai can and can't do and what he has and has not done. You don't know that the DQ3 Protagonist is in Smash as DLC in any way shape or form, you don't know if Geno being a Spirit tosses out his DLC chances, and you don't know if DQ3 Protag getting in would kill Geno's chances. What you know is what we know, which is what has happened in the past and things Sakurai and other Nintendo persons have said.

Now, everyone say it with me ONCE AGAIN *ahem*

LEAKERS DON'T MEAN ****!!

They are just an avatar with a wall of text saying that they know better without showing a goddamn thing to prove it and we are just supposed to believe them unquestioningly. If you choose to throw away who knows how much time spent supporting a character and stop pushing for him, that's fine. If you choose to believe people that can in no way prove anything they say and ignore how much attention Geno has gotten in just recent years, you can do that. If you have given up on Geno ever being anything ever again, you are allowed to think so, but do NOT try and push your pathetic attitude here.

This is a thread for people who support the character and push to have him return in some form, not for people to discourage supporters and try to get them to quit. In that case, you are on the same level as the randoms who jump in here just to flame us for supporting him.

WE refuse to give up, WE continue to show how much we love a character that won over our hearts from a game that came out nearly 23 years ago and has been with us ever since. WE continue to recognize that his chances are not gone, but that he's been acknowledged more than ever and that his chances are at their highest. WE will continue to make fan art and push his likeness on social media and work up our movement and support others who do so as well.

WE are now in the part of the narrative where everyone else looks down on us because we are honest about what we love, but only time will tell if this is the narrative where our passion falls on deaf ears or if our narrative is the one in which our love shines through and true and achieves us what we want.

So, you've got some options: you can reflect and realize that this worst-case scenario is just all in your head and that you have overreacted incredibly and join us, or you can choose to keep wallowing in this woeful world of your own imagination. It's up to you, but if you choose to continue to wallow, with all respect don't post it here. There is a difference between realistic banter and being grounded, and then there is what you are doing.

I can't make you leave, and I would rather you wake up than actually leave, but at the very least keep your depressive bull**** to yourself and quit trying to make us give up.
I'm sorry. It's just hard to stay optimistic with all the **** being thrown at us. Being constantly talked down for believing the character I want to get in for years, and then being told that there's a chance of another character getting in over ours, it's difficult.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
While I do think Erdrick is likely and even justified, I don’t subscribe to Geno being “doomed”.

Nintendo and Sakurai are very lucidly aware of the sheer popularity he has. The fact a one-off (bar one cameo) RPG side-protagonist was the only Mii costume with a splash screen is pretty clear cut evidence as such. And even since the Mii costume in 4, we have had a **** tone of Mario RPG references since in Smash Ultimate and even Yoshi’s Crafted World (not to mention the quizzes and such).

Let the basement dwellers **** talk and troll all they want, it’s mostly just sad bored preteens using anonymity as an outlet anyway. I’m just glad Smashboards is good at stamping out such childish eye-rolling behaviour.

I don’t think Nintendo or Square are being difficult with Geno and the plethora of bones thrown for us show to me an acknowledgement of popularity, even if they seem like baby steps. I think we will get more fighters than the first fighter pass and I really think Geno has a strong shot.

I had way less confidence for Ridley and look how that turned out haha. Chin up guys, don’t let the wait drive you mad.

D

Deleted member

You know just cause things aren't going our way right now it doesn't mean it's the end of Geno. Every big time Characters has had their ups and downs but with enough of a push Geno Will get in Smash Eventually.

You know who else looked unlikely and was a Never-Ever? Ridley, For the longest time Ridley looked like he was never going to happen cause of "Too Big" it looked like a death sentence for Ridley but guess who took back what they said and put him in to appease fans? Sakurai.

Ridley looked like he was never going to happen and still to this day the Ridley supporters had a worse and harder time than us but they eventually got in and by gosh we can too.

Nintendo and Sakurai know we want Geno proven by Geno's Mii Costume being the only one to this day that had a Splash Screen and Nintendo didn't need to put in Geno and Mallow Spirits but they did to show us that they're trying and that they know we want SMRPG Content!

Why do you need to put in Spirits of one off Characters from 20+ years ago? They don't but they DID Cause they know we want them.

Even Square knows we want Geno as if they didn't why would you fake us out with Geno of all Characters? Why Not Lara Croft who is an Icon of Gaming over someone like Geno? It's cause even Square knows we want Geno.

Sakurai himself is a fan of Geno and has tried to get him not only once but twice! They all know we want Geno and for that, even if we don't get Geno this time, I think we'll get Geno eventually.

Maybe Square just wants to represent their two biggest franchises before putting in Geno? I can understand why they would choose to do that but that doesn't mean they hate Geno, I would say they're okay with Geno but have priorities somewhere else and that somewhere else being DQ.

Even if Erdrick gets in a Second Season isn't terribly unlikely and in that case I would expect Sakurai to chose the Characters, I expect Geno to be a Sakurai Choice first and foremost.

If we get a Second Season I can see Geno getting in cause every party knows we want Geno, I can say from the bottom of my heart that Geno will get in eventually be it a Second Season or Smash 6.

In due time we will get Geno.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Things aren't even looking that bleak for Geno.

A Mii costume or a spirit isn't a deconfirmation, that's a fan rule and like most fan rules, is fantasy until stated otherwise (by Sakurai not an opinionated fanboy :4pacman:).

The only possible thing against Geno is the idea of Erdrick getting in the first fighter pass which makes a second Square rep unlikely. The Switch will have a lifespan lasting far beyond 2020. If Switch titles older than Smash are still getting DLC now there is a good chance Smash Ultimate, possibly the biggest title on the console, has more excitement to come. And yet we are being fed Mario RPG reference after reference.

Firox

Smash Master
Even if we don't get Geno with this DLC pack, I really do think we could get him in future packs. And to those that doubt we're getting any more DLC packs, let me explain why they could easily become a reality. First of all, dataminers have found a total of 16 extra character slots. That means one for PP and another 15 for 3 sets of 5. Not only do these numbers make for some nicely modular "waves", but also consider the state of the Smash franchise itself. Sakurai admitted that the "everyone is here" mantra was a feat in itself. Due to data limitations and licensing rights, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever see such a complete roster ever again without rotating out old characters for new ones. Couple this with Sakurai's general fatigue, he might not have it in him to make a brand new game 8+ years from now. At the same time, Nintendo won't let such a cash cow go to waste. So what's the best solution for everyone? Milk. That. Cow.

Nintendo is going to want to keep Ulimate as THE smash game for as long as humanly possible. How do they do that? By patching in new features and DLC for years to come. Considering how polished the game already is with respect to graphics, mechanics, etc., I could only see the franchise really breaking new ground with the addition of new modes, stages and characters. Why WOULDN'T they just keep adding characters? At about $5 a pop, they could be having us spend over 100% of the game's total worth in DLC alone! While I'm not a fan of paid DLC, this opens a lot of possible doors for character inclusion, and as I've said before, I think it'd be a real struggle to add 15 more characters that ppl would be willing to pay for if at least one of them didn't include something like Geno, Banjo or the like. It's things like this that give me hope for Geno. Until the day comes that Sakurai looks out at us through the screen and says "That's it for the DLC," I'm going to keep that candle burning. It ain't over til that fat lady sings...and then Adam Lavine's chair spins around and he agrees to coach her...

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
As sad as it is, it might be better if we didn't know the full results of the Smash Ballot because most people would probably be attacking the fanbases of the characters that did better than their characters who most people thought had a better chance.
I would repeat my message from before.
Who in the actual f cares? They can attack all they want. People need to stop taking all of this overly seriously and just enjoy the ride. So many classic and wonderful characters in a masterful game, and people choose to be salty. Ffs...

You do realize that these "polls" aren't representative for the fanbase, right? They're usually a result a few thousand entries. It's more of a "which fanbase is the loudest" than an actual solid evidence for anything. This is a bubble that would be nice to look out of once in a while.

And let me tell ya people something, I've seen this roller coaster of emotions that is repeating itself way too often on this thread.
I see people either overly confident over Geno being in Smash or shooting themselves in the foot and hurting themselves to no end because of depression from the idea of him not being in. I know, it's common for some fans to have this reaction, but this has been going on for a little while, don't you think? Yes, we've been waiting for a confirmation on a S-E character for a while too, but I think that we've had enough time to make up our minds and face the facts. Yes, Geno looks unlikely, but is it worth destroying your day bc of it? Is it worth blaming Nintendo, Square or other people for this result? Smash Bros, companies and the fanbase is much larger than some here realize.
I'm not saying to give up and go home. I'm saying to cheer on, but remember that this is just a videogame. And that this isn't the last Smash. There will always be another shot, as long as people continue to like the character and be noisy about it. And I know people here can be. I'm saying that some should cheer up, move on and keep on hoping for the best (actual surprises taste better). And some should leave the bubble and actually prepare emotionally and mentally for the idea that Geno is deconfirmed (like, put a mindset that right now we know that he is done for Ultimate, and work around that). Retreading old grounds isn't going to do anyone here any favors. Pointing fingers isn't going to make anything better. Move on.
I'm not pointing fingers. But I've been following this thread for longer than I want to admit.
I have less hope for my character, but I've taken a realistic view and accepted that while he may not be in, there is always a future. And being depressed or angry because of it is silly. I'm saying of all this bc I really feel like some people haven't passed this phase yet, and may be in for some sad days, possibly.
I felt more free after going through this, and I feel like these people that I'm not naming would feel more free in the end.

I write this with the best of intentions. And even after being treated like **** in the past, I still think people here just want the best and have their way of reacting to problems, be it immaturely or maturely. And at least I hope that people here don't suffer for meaningless reasons on the basis of pure falacy.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I would repeat my message from before.
Who in the actual f cares? They can attack all they want. People need to stop taking all of this overly seriously and just enjoy the ride. So many classic and wonderful characters in a masterful game, and people choose to be salty. Ffs...

You do realize that these "polls" aren't representative for the fanbase, right? They're usually a result a few thousand entries. It's more of a "which fanbase is the loudest" than an actual solid evidence for anything. This is a bubble that would be nice to look out of once in a while.

And let me tell ya people something, I've seen this roller coaster of emotions that is repeating itself way too often on this thread.
I see people either overly confident over Geno being in Smash or shooting themselves in the foot and hurting themselves to no end because of depression from the idea of him not being in. I know, it's common for some fans to have this reaction, but this has been going on for a little while, don't you think? Yes, we've been waiting for a confirmation on a S-E character for a while too, but I think that we've had enough time to make up our minds and face the facts. Yes, Geno looks unlikely, but is it worth destroying your day bc of it? Is it worth blaming Nintendo, Square or other people for this result? Smash Bros, companies and the fanbase is much larger than some here realize.
I'm not saying to give up and go home. I'm saying to cheer on, but remember that this is just a videogame. And that this isn't the last Smash. There will always be another shot, as long as people continue to like the character and be noisy about it. And I know people here can be. I'm saying that some should cheer up, move on and keep on hoping for the best (actual surprises taste better). And some should leave the bubble and actually prepare emotionally and mentally for the idea that Geno is deconfirmed (like, put a mindset that right now we know that he is done for Ultimate, and work around that). Retreading old grounds isn't going to do anyone here any favors. Pointing fingers isn't going to make anything better. Move on.
I'm not pointing fingers. But I've been following this thread for longer than I want to admit.
I have less hope for my character, but I've taken a realistic view and accepted that while he may not be in, there is always a future. And being depressed or angry because of it is silly. I'm saying of all this bc I really feel like some people haven't passed this phase yet, and may be in for some sad days, possibly.
I felt more free after going through this, and I feel like these people that I'm not naming would feel more free in the end.

I write this with the best of intentions. And even after being treated like **** in the past, I still think people here just want the best and have their way of reacting to problems, be it immaturely or maturely. And at least I hope that people here don't suffer for meaningless reasons on the basis of pure falacy.
Completely agreed. I know it might seem kinda hypocritical, given I've been one heck of a glass case of emotion, but I do acknowledge that it's a problem. I've been taking some strides, and while I've gotten better, it's been bumpy. It's not even entirely Geno, but also just life in general making my mental state already a fat load.

My take? I'm basically shifting my hopes more to Banjo (because he actually? seems likely? what universe am i in help) and less onto Geno. It gives me something else to hope for and watch out for. Banjo is my other most wanted apart from Geno and (RIP) Shadow. Geno looks rather unlikely, so I'm going to believe that he isn't happening with the odds against him. I'll always support my boy, but until we get more DLC announced, my expectations are largely tempered. That said, with Operation Starfall going on and with the Mario series not being the kind of die ANY time soon, Geno will always have a chance to make a return, maybe even when we think all hope is lost.

I know it's hard. I know it is. It's been so long and we still don't have our boy back in a major role in a game. That being said, we can't just give up. If our voices go silent, we will lose the fight. As long as we keep our spirits up and remind Nintendo and Square of how much we love Geno and Mallow and SMRPG, however, we may just win. Ultimate is one battle, not the entire war.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Brave ends up not being the Square rep at all I'm going to laugh so hard... It's what I'm leaning towards and honestly hope it's not just to give all of us a kick in the pants. Speculation is too stagnant and gatekeepy right now. We need another wildcard character in my opinion.

The fact that we haven't gotten an announcement for 3.0 dropping is weird though. Maybe it'll be on Reggies last day? It's a Monday I believe so a direct happening then is not THAT outside the realm of possibility if you ask me
Watch it be Claus.
Knowing y'all, I assume this was already posted but I'm gonna post it anyways

Because holy **** I just found out that Yoko actually made a modern version of Goodbye Geno and it sounds beautiful.

I love your Erdrick picture. :)
Furukawa seems pretty hands-off for the most part, so I think Sak will be left alone. Sak does at least take his workload in jest (especially considering that Ultimate's life cycle will likely be finite, unlike for an ongoing manga like One Piece).

Besides, he does want to try to please as many people as possible, as much as DLC resources can allow.
Things really keep going on. People believed Brawl would be the last Smash game, but they were wrong. I doubt Ultimate is the final Smash game, even Sakurai said we could get another Smash game in at least 9-10 years.

Well, One Piece was actually planned to go on for 5 years (1997 to 2002), but things went on, lore expanded, and now it doesn't plan on ending until the 2020s. lol

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I guess my takeaway from a lot of Smash discussion is that this place really shouldn't be where you either get criticized for having an opinion or where your expressing the most depression or disappointment about things. I know Geno means a helluva lot more to some people here than he does to me (I really like him and think he's a cool character, but I can't say I'm super emotionally invested in him specifically. I love Super Mario RPG and he just happens to work best in that regard as a character I do like and others seem to). I know that Geno in Smash could really make absolutely ecstatic, but my takeaway is that's all he should be.

And when I say that, I mean this: The world is a big, very messed up place with lots of problems right now that has more important things to hold your attention. I know a lot of us are on the younger side, so that means I think a lot of us are really quite concerned with what the future holds. Especially when I also know that a lot of us deal with varying amounts of anxiety and depression (I'm also in the same boat, which pairs real great with the real world doesn't it?). That's where our disappointments should go, that's where our real frustrations should go, etc.

Video games are the escape for us, we should treat them as such. Which means, take the joy they bring, but don't let them bring you any of the negatives. They're not worth it in comparison and there's enough things that will bring that in life. Let video games bring you only the positives.

That's my take on it without going too much into more specifics and I already know I'm probably approaching being a bit more political than this forum and some people here may like. But it's an ideology that has helped me a lot with regards to entertainment and how I consume it.

So if Geno gets in, I'll celebrate with all of you. If not, I'll just continue appreciating the amazing game that Ultimate is and finding joy in other video game related things. There's so much to consume out there these days, both past and present, that you might as well just let games bring you all of the joy in life that they can haha.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I guess my takeaway from a lot of Smash discussion is that this place really shouldn't be where you either get criticized for having an opinion or where your expressing the most depression or disappointment about things. I know Geno means a helluva lot more to some people here than he does to me (I really like him and think he's a cool character, but I can't say I'm super emotionally invested in him specifically. I love Super Mario RPG and he just happens to work best in that regard as a character I do like and others seem to). I know that Geno in Smash could really make absolutely ecstatic, but my takeaway is that's all he should be.

And when I say that, I mean this: The world is a big, very messed up place with lots of problems right now that has more important things to hold your attention. I know a lot of us are on the younger side, so that means I think a lot of us are really quite concerned with what the future holds. Especially when I also know that a lot of us deal with varying amounts of anxiety and depression (I'm also in the same boat, which pairs real great with the real world doesn't it?). That's where our disappointments should go, that's where our real frustrations should go, etc.

Video games are the escape for us, we should treat them as such. Which means, take the joy they bring, but don't let them bring you any of the negatives. They're not worth it in comparison and there's enough things that will bring that in life. Let video games bring you only the positives.

That's my take on it without going too much into more specifics and I already know I'm probably approaching being a bit more political than this forum and some people here may like. But it's an ideology that has helped me a lot with regards to entertainment and how I consume it.

So if Geno gets in, I'll celebrate with all of you. If not, I'll just continue appreciating the amazing game that Ultimate is and finding joy in other video game related things. There's so much to consume out there these days, both past and present, that you might as well just let games bring you all of the joy in life that they can haha.
And then there's me... who wants Geno in Mario Tennis Aces. (And other spinoffs, too. How he hasn't appeared in any of the Mario spin-offs developed by Square-Enix is beyond me.)

Now, would he be Speedy, Technical, Tricky, All-Around, or Defensive? (Powerful is clearly out of the question)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Watch it be Claus.l
It could be Porky or Ninten as well. Any new Mother newcomer would get me excited. :bluejump:

Things really keep going on. People believed Brawl would be the last Smash game, but they were wrong. I doubt Ultimate is the final Smash game, even Sakurai said we could get another Smash game in at least 9-10 years.
Blackbeard: A era when Smash comes to a end? YEAH RIGHT!!! ZEHAHAHA!!! SMASH WILL NEVER COME TO A END!!! ZEHAHAHA!!!

Yeah, Smash is too big of a cash cow for Nintendo to ever let go.

Well, One Piece was actually planned to go on for 5 years (1997 to 2002), but things went on, lore expanded, and now it doesn't plan on ending until the 2020s. lol
More like the late 2020s or early 2030s lol!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Beta footage of SM64 and SMRPG, holy moly.

Just when you think that we've squeezed as much beta content from those games (especially the former) as we possibly can, more stuff is unearthed. That is BANANAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom