• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Ah...

Okay. I'm feeling a little better after that vent. I need to not let that stuff get to me.

On a positive note, you know what? I'm amazed we even got Geno's spirit in the base game at all. We also keep getting SMRPG references and nods to Geno's spirit. There was the HQ quiz, the Team Geno vs. Team Mallow tweet, the SMK segment...

Nintendo is really trying to let us know that they hear us. NoJ and NoA are both aware. There is just only so much they can do, and even if Geno never makes it, they're letting us know that they're listening and, for all we know, they're trying. They can just only do so much.

I... appreciate that a lot. I really do. I think we'll get the costume back. I'm at least more optimistic about that now. Nintendo and Sakurai are trying their hardest, and at the very least, Geno's in their hearts as much as he is in ours. He may not mean anything to Square, but the rest of us are on the same page.
That was very nicely put! Your optimism is only making me more optimistic. We have to spread the positivity!

T2by4

Smash Lord
Yeah, okay, I'm in Sabi's server, too, and the amount of mockery thrown at @MattX20 was ridiculous, not to mention the amount of taunting over, "Haha, Geno's dead!" That is... absolutely vicious and I can't fathom why anyone would think this is okay. There's such a stark difference between, "Yeah, he's probably not in, better luck next time," and, "HAHA HE'S DEAD LOL NEVER EVER!"

This is the kind of **** I get to see every day. This is the kind of stuff people heckle me for all the time, even though I think Geno's chances are shot. Even when I try to be rational, it's still met with mockery and being poked fun at because I like a certain video game character.

Bull. ****.

Stop doing that. You might think it's heeee-larious, but it just makes you look ****ing stupid. I'm wary of any Erdrick fans solely because of this. The ones on Smashboards, for the most part, are very chill and wonderful people, but outside of here, I always feel like I have to walk on eggshells. Erdrick is fine. His good fans are fine. The landscape out there, however, is so rough... because I have a positive opinion of a video game character?

If this is the kind of crap you pull, just... leave. You do nothing positive for the Smash community and only make it worse. People wonder why Geno's fans get so uppity sometimes, and I'm like... HMMM. Sure, some of them shouldn't be and are the bad apples of the fandom, but I can't even blame people for being on-edge because so much as breathing a syllable of his name is enough to get **** flung at you.

I'm done. I am SO done. This fandom is the literal worst, a nuclear cesspool. I'm. So. Through. My mental state is already terrible and the fact that people get hounded down just for LIKING A CHARACTER

just

done. Just so done.

EDIT: Also, apparently, @PolarPanda has gone on record to state in the Discord that she thinks Geno's probably dead, but she doesn't know for sure. So, basically, not only do I feel his chances are as poor as can be, but I also can't even enjoy the character with other people without getting torn a new one?

Great. Smash fandom sure is a lovely place.
At this point, why even argue. They're right, Geno is dead at this point. Square is a company about profit, they don't care about old character that people love when they can shill out new ones and make the same/more money because they are more recognizable due to a new audience.

There has been absolutely zero attempt to make Geno relevant in recent years, and it this point it's very apparent that they won't make him relevant.

Erdrick is in, and I've accepted our defeat. Been fighting this fight for over a decade and all I got was a lousy spirit.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Wait, hold on. Why is everyone so sure now that Erdrick is in? I missed something but I'm too lazy to scour all the posts from over the weekend.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Wait, hold on. Why is everyone so sure now that Erdrick is in? I missed something but I'm too lazy to scour all the posts from over the weekend.
Tansut said he thinks he's in still. That's really about it. Not really news in my opinion.

Firox

Smash Master
Tansut said he thinks he's in still. That's really about it. Not really news in my opinion.
"News flash: More unfounded speculation solidifies rumors!" Here I was thinking we had something more concrete to play with. C'mon, people. I would think by now that we all know the drill. You have a "leaker" or two bet their house on a certain character being revealed and before we know it were looking down the barrel of Slippy the toad. :rotfl:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
To be fair to Tansut, even if he’s relatively unproven, his one major noteworthy was previously Square and he seemed pretty upfront about things in the ResetEra post. He’s been nowhere near as problematic as Vergeben either.

I also remember a LOT of support for him when the thread thought that he was referring to Geno a few months back (I know a number of people took the big Square leak to be the Geno head tilt image). Hell, he was seen as more credible for his Cloud leak and held in a much more positive light for it.

Now while I don’t think you should take his words to mean Erdrick is confirmed, I do think he’s seemed one of the more straightforward people involved in leaking anything. And while I think his limited involvement in leaking doesn’t really help his credibility, it’s at least notable that the one time he was right in the past was for Square Enix Smash DLC. So I don’t necessarily blame people for attaching a little more weight to his input than some other peoples. He’s definitely been seen as more credible in the past at least.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay. Listen. I've been thinking since last night, and let's be real here.

Things look bleak. There's no denying that. However, it isn't over.

Let's say Erdrick is in. I know a lot of people still don't believe he's a lock, so let's view this hypothetically. Does that mean Nintendo and Sakurai will double-dip with Square in the Fighter's Pass? We don't know. I personally think it's very unlikely. Let's hypothetically say that Erdrick being in means Geno will definitely not be on the Fighter's Pass.

Even then, it's still not over.

The fact of the matter is, we don't know if we're only getting the Fighter's Pass. We don't know what other crazy stuff Sakurai may or may not have up his sleeve. He's gone on record to say that he wants to do as much as he can for Ultimate. It could still mean FP is all we get, but what if it isn't? There are so many what ifs that have not been answered that it makes my head spin. We really don't know whether this could go, and while we ought to have our expectations tempered, nothing is cemented as 100% fact in terms of further DLC.

Does Geno have a poor chance? As of now, yeah. I won't lie, his chances are particularly poor in my eyes, especially if we get Erdrick... but it isn't over. Nintendo knows we want to see him return. There is also only so much they can do as human beings. They could even plan stuff for Geno and Mallow outside of Smash and we would never even know it. They're fan favorites from the biggest flagship franchise Nintendo has, and as long as the Mario series lives, there is always a chance our boys can come back... if our voices stay loud and clear.

So let's not back down and let's not grow silent. We can't do that like we did in the Sm4sh era. We need to keep our support going.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
At this point, why even argue. They're right, Geno is dead at this point. Square is a company about profit, they don't care about old character that people love when they can shill out new ones and make the same/more money because they are more recognizable due to a new audience.

There has been absolutely zero attempt to make Geno relevant in recent years, and it this point it's very apparent that they won't make him relevant.

Erdrick is in, and I've accepted our defeat. Been fighting this fight for over a decade and all I got was a lousy spirit.
I mean that’s literally not true considering his costume in Sm4sh, the Twitter post celebrating SMRPG specifically namedropping Geno, and the mobile quiz app that namedropped him right before SSBU released, and the fact that out of all the SE stuff that could’ve been included as spirits we got Mallow and Geno.

TheBeastHimself

Dang how could you say Erdrick is in when we don't even have an official confirmation? Don't surrender when the battle ain't even over...

T2by4

Smash Lord
I mean that’s literally not true considering his costume in Sm4sh, the Twitter post celebrating SMRPG specifically namedropping Geno, and the mobile quiz app that namedropped him right before SSBU released, and the fact that out of all the SE stuff that could’ve been included as spirits we got Mallow and Geno.
Dang how could you say Erdrick is in when we don't even have an official confirmation? Don't surrender when the battle ain't even over...
I have no doubt that Nintendo loves geno, that is fact. Square, not so much. They are the ones who own geno, not necessarily nintendo, it's mainly square. There's no merch of geno that they sell, they didnt allow him in the super star saga remake, they removed his mii costumes etc.

What straw is even possible to grasp at this point? They don't care for him, and would rather sell what they have currently because more people know about it. That's why we're never getting a remake or sequel.

The battle has been over for a long time, we lost. Big time.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Geno's chances look quite bleak. But so did Ridley's. Sakurai specifically saying a character wouldn't work is worse than leakers saying it's someone else. Don't give up hope!

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
This tribalism needs to stop. We went from Lord of the Rings type fellowships to Lord of the Flies.
Said it nicely there.
But I think that, much like things outside of Smash, when people aim to make fun of you or what you think or like, you shouldn't bat an eye or even care. The more you are offended, the more power you give to the offenders.
And honestly, even if Geno is dead as they say there, he wouldn't be outside of Smash, which is what matters the most. At least that's what I think, bc the character doesn't need to rely on Smash to be relevant again among the mainstream Nintendo fanbase. So their accusations are fruitless, and basing the experience of hearing crap by a handful of trolls and attention seekers to say that the community is crap is precipitated at best. Many people in the community actively cheer against a particular character bc it would stop their character from getting in. It's basically team logic in sports. There will always be rivals and trolling, and even to a certain degree there will be disrespect. It's a matter of being chill about it and pass on the children that take Smash and their characters overly seriously. It's a videogame with classic characters that are chosen by japanese devs. Fighting over tribalism and your fav character is sad and pathetic.
People there should chill and some here should be less negative and reliant on group thinking when considering their place in the community.
There are good and bad people ANYWHERE. It's just a matter of knowing where to look for the right people and being mature when dealing with the bad people.

D

Deleted member

I have no doubt that Nintendo loves geno, that is fact. Square, not so much. They are the ones who own geno, not necessarily nintendo, it's mainly square. There's no merch of geno that they sell, they didnt allow him in the super star saga remake, they removed his mii costumes etc.

What straw is even possible to grasp at this point? They don't care for him, and would rather sell what they have currently because more people know about it. That's why we're never getting a remake or sequel.

If the battle was over, literally everyone else would've given up on him already.

D

Deleted member

How good did Joker's chances look before his announcement? Food for thought.
He was without a doubt the most obvious choice for the first DLC character. He was leaked by everyone and 100% hinted at by Sakurai. There was absolutely no way he wouldn't be in.

Last edited by a moderator:

T2by4

Smash Lord
If the battle was over, literally everyone else would've given up on him already.
The thing is that we're fighting a losing war. PolarPanda has left us, every leaker has left us, nearly everyone is in the mindset that it's erdrick and that Geno is never going to leave as a spirit. We're a laughing stock for being so delusional to STILL have the belief that Geno has any shot at this point. We were and still are top 5 in nearly every poll for over a decade, and that's gotten us a mii costume, and then have that mii costume removed. We're getting nowhere.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing is that we're fighting a losing war. PolarPanda has left us, every leaker has left us, nearly everyone is in the mindset that it's erdrick and that Geno is never going to leave as a spirit. We're a laughing stock for being so delusional to STILL have the belief that Geno has any shot at this point. We were and still are top 5 in nearly every poll for over a decade, and that's gotten us a mii costume, and then have that mii costume removed. We're getting nowhere.
Well, granted, every third party Mii costume was removed. That's nothing against particularly Geno. Every single one is gone.

That said, Polar has gone on record to state that she wants Geno in. Geno is her preferred choice. However, she's being realistic. It's not that she's left us. She's just accepted that this Square rep is probably not Geno.

We have to keep going. For years and years, Ridley's and K. Rool's fans went nowhere... and then they got their guys when it seemed all hope was lost. If we stop fighting, we lose. If we keep fighting, we may still lose, but there will at least be the chance that we won't.

I don't know about you, but I'm willing to keep fighting for that chance, even if it's small.

TheBeastHimself

So what happens if Geno gets announced?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've already stated that if Erdrick doesn't get in, I'll eat my hat. If Geno gets in, I will also eat my hat. If both somehow happen, I will have to eat two hats.

I only have one hat.

This is a dilemma.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Oh yay, the old unfounded Square is bad and the root of all our problems with Geno.

There’s absolutely nothing to indicate Square’s the bad guy here and they have no reason to use Geno on his own unless they’re approached for another project by Nintendo. Them not using Geno is not an act of malice to spite the Geno fans or whatever, and like I’ve said before, they’ve given Geno in exactly the capacity that Nintendo has asked for him in the past: A Mii costume in Smash 4 and a Spirit in Ultimate. As far as I know the original Superstar cameo wasn’t officially credited either so they probably just didn’t want to bother when they were working on the low effort remake. All third party Mii costumes got removed in Ultimate as well that were previously DLC, so Geno’s not special in that regard.

Don’t concoct narratives that a company loves or hates you and your character. They’re both companies with a ton of IPs and even though passionate people can work with certain IPs at both, Nintendo and Square really don’t give a **** about the lesser IPs until they have a reason to use them.

It’s also just not Square’s job to use a character that has absolutely no relation to any of their IPs in development right now. His only link is a Mario RPG, and they can’t exactly produce those on their own.

And again, Sakurai says he’s never been turned down when he’s asked for a character in Smash and I’m inclined to believe him. Smash is a hard thing to say no to, and those third party companies are asked for a specific character, not a part of some magical debate where they’re going to ram their own franchise into Smash over some fan favorite.

Geno’s chances aren’t over. They are bleak. But it’s a simple as Nintendo deciding to make him a DLC priority. Them deciding to make Geno a playable fighter to satisfy fans is what gets us Geno. Nothing more, nothing less. And Square is pretty unlikely to block that request given how agreeable they’ve been in the past to letting Nintendo use Geno in Smash.

T2by4

Smash Lord
He won't. He'll be used as leakbait or clickbait for thumbnails to build hype. That's his fate and his entire purpose at this point. Just to get attention. Square doesn't care. They want profit from their new games. It's all about the money. This was supposed to be the game thay sarisfies all the fans, except us.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
He was without a doubt the most obvious choice for the first DLC character. He was leaked by everyone and 100% hinted at by Sakurai. There was absolutely no way he wouldn't be in.
This is sarcasm, right? Like Joker was basically the most out of left field pick we’ve seen in Smash since Smash 4 DLC. Not a soul was predicting him and there was nothing to indicate he was coming...

Edit: also, if it is sarcasm, we really need to take a page from Reddit and start using the /s just because it’s so hard to know tone from text haha.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

He won't. He'll be used as leakbait or clickbait for thumbnails to build hype. That's his fate and his entire purpose at this point. Just to get attention. Square doesn't care. They want profit from their new games. It's all about the money. This was supposed to be the game thay sarisfies all the fans, except us.
You are so convinced Geno is done. I don't understand why... I think you're letting leaks get to you. Just because everyone is talking about Erdrick automatically officially confirms him? I don't understand your logic here. Who says leakers have official credibility like Nintendo? Yeah some leakers have good track records, but that doesn't mean what they say is fact, and you're treating what they say as fact right now. Nintendo is the only official source out there my friend. Also, you know how Sakurai is. He's completely unpredictable. Why would Sakurai all of a sudden become predictable?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Then what about Bomberman? Dixie Kong? Takamaru? Shadow the Hedgehog (who is another of my most wanteds that got AT'd)? Isaac?

It's really not just about Geno. There are a lot of fan requests out there, some for just as long and even longer than Geno's have been around, and they've not been given the playable treatment either. I know it sucks for Geno especially because, unlike most other characters, he has nothing else outside of Smash yet. Trust me, I lament this all the time. I wish he got more from Nintendo and Square, I really do. I know Square puts very pretty pennies on things and that's probably a part of the reason why Geno hasn't been made playable yet, but there's so many factors that go into this, you know?

D

Deleted member

You have to be patient, just like the Ridley and K Rool fans. If they gave up all hope like you have now, Ridley and K Rool wouldn't have gotten into Smash. So if you want Geno in Smash and a bright future for him and SMRPG, have some hope.

This is sarcasm, right? Like Joker was basically the most out of left field pick we’ve seen in Smash since Smash 4 DLC. Not a soul was predicting him and there was nothing to indicate he was coming...

Edit: also, if it is sarcasm, we really need to take a page from Reddit and start using the /s just because it’s so hard to know tone from text haha.
Yeah, it was sarcasm lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
I totally admit that Geno's chances are a hail mary to end all others, but let me say this: If he does get in, and he still could considering Ridley did even after Sakurai EXPLICITLY said he couldn't, then I will savor every feather of crow these haters are gonna eat. I'm gonna main that little wooden ass-kicker and wreck so many ppl both online and in tournament that ppl will have no choice but to regard him as top tier. That is my bargain to those mewling quims!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I totally admit that Geno's chances are a hail mary to end all others, but let me say this: If he does get in, and he still could considering Ridley did even after Sakurai EXPLICITLY said he couldn't, then I will savor every feather of crow these haters are gonna eat. I'm gonna main that little wooden ***-kicker and wreck so many ppl both online and in tournament that ppl will have no choice but to regard him as top tier. That is my bargain to those mewling quims!
Same if my asthmatic child defies all odds as well!

51109707_407788833328839_1796148609279993819_n.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Geno's chances look quite bleak. But so did Ridley's. Sakurai specifically saying a character wouldn't work is worse than leakers saying it's someone else. Don't give up hope!
Difference between Geno and Ridley is that Geno is a 3rd party character and Ridley is a first party character. Ridley always had the higher chance of getting in despite his size issue because he is owned by Nintendo. If Square-Enix doesn't want him in the roster in Smash, Sakurai can't do anything.

This was supposed to be the game thay sarisfies all the fans, except us.
Not to be a party pooper, but we really don't know the results of the Ballot. We only know Bayonetta, K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmonts got in due to their amazing performance in the Ballot. Anybody below them we'll never know unless they are saving some of them for the Season Pass.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Difference between Geno and Ridley is that Geno is a 3rd party character and Ridley is a first party character. Ridley always had the higher chance of getting in despite his size issue because he is owned by Nintendo. If Square-Enix doesn't want him in the roster in Smash, Sakurai can't do anything.

Not to be a party pooper, but we really don't know the results of the Ballot. We only know Bayonetta, K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmonts got in due to their amazing performance in the Ballot. Anybody below them we'll never know unless they are saving some of them for the Season Pass.
I guess it was more for internet polls that I've seen. Also japan had their own poll recently and geno ranked forth.

Just goes to show how little of priority geno really is with his popularity, adding a piranha plant and probably erdrick to put salt in the wounds.

He really feels like an afterthought.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

We also know that we got all of the veterans back because of fan demand. Sakurai also said that Chrom and Dark Samus were included due to fan demand as well. So quite a few more characters made it in thanks to fan demand.

Firox

Smash Master
We don't know for sure if it's that SE doesn't WANT him in or if it's something else. We DO know that SE charged some serious bongos for Nintendo to get a hold of Cloud, so it could be that they placed a price on Geno that Nintendo hasn't been willing to pay. The fact that we don't know the reason isn't enough proof to rule Geno out just yet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We also know that we got all of the veterans back because of fan demand. Sakurai also said that Chrom and Dark Samus were included due to fan demand as well. So quite a few more characters made it in thanks to fan demand.
Well Sakurai never mentions the Ballot around the returning veterans and the Echos, but the fact he said due to fan demand shows that they probably got in due to the Smash Ballot.

We don't know for sure if it's that SE doesn't WANT him in or if it's something else. We DO know that SE charged some serious bongos for Nintendo to get a hold of Cloud, so it could be that they placed a price on Geno that Nintendo hasn't been willing to pay. The fact that we don't know the reason isn't enough proof to rule Geno out just yet.
True, but that could be the case whether we like it or not. But that doesn't mean we should accept that.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I guess it was more for internet polls that I've seen. Also japan had their own poll recently and geno ranked forth.

Just goes to show how little of priority geno really is with his popularity, adding a piranha plant and probably erdrick to put salt in the wounds.

He really feels like an afterthought.
Well, PP is a pretty inconsequential character outside if its popularity, which would probably explain why Sakurai chose it as the pre-order bonus character. It makes more sense than Mewtwo, and while the backlash for him having to be purchased later on was very small, it was still there. I can see the rationale.

As for Erdrick... I mean, we can't really understate how big DQ is, especially in the east. Even here in the west, we feel its influence, whether we know it or not. Geno wouldn't even exist if Erdrick and DQ didn't. I can understand why DQ in Smash would be a priority before Geno.

Firox

Smash Master
I wish so badly that we knew the results of the smash ballot. I suspect that Nintendo has purposely kept the results secret so that ppl wouldn't rage at the fact that many fan favorites are being ignored for commercial reasons. So many of the fan-generated smash polls I've seen had Isaac and Geno consistently in the top five, but Nintendo probably just decided to focus on the ones with upcoming games and more profitable relevance. Then again, we have tons of outliers so it's almost impossible to pin down any kind of modus operandi for Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom