• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Happy MAR10 (Mario) Day, everybody!

Since it's Mario Day, I'm going to share my favorite Mario games! :)
Here are my 5 favorites:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Paper Mario: TTYD
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario 64
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Odyssey

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

Here are my 5 favorites:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario RPG
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario 64
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Odyssey
Partners in Time, you got great taste my friend.

D

Deleted member

I do recall his mood relating to Geno durring that vid that had Joker being rather down. Wasn't he the guy that believed that Geno was about to appear when the Plant trailer was building up? What do you think changed?
Lots of people thought Geno would appear in the PP trailer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It seemed to me he gave up on Geno entirely when he replaced him with Joker as his #1
I don't get why some people would place somebody that's already in the game as their number 1 over somebody else that isn't in that's actually their most wanted character, but isn't as likely. In Smash 4 I wasn't to cheerful about the newcomers because I wanted K. Rool and Ridley, but I settled down with Palutena, Lucina, and Bowser Jr. since non of the other newcomers in that game excited me that much. But I still place K. Rool and Ridley over those characters in my mind even when they were not in.

Probably the fact that Geno missed out on the base roster. It made a lot of people jump ship because they're thinking that Geno can't sell well enough on his own, so base roster included with the game was his only chance.
I don't get that logic since pretty much any possible Square-Enix rep has a 99% percent chance of being DLC instead of being in the base game. Only reason Cloud was in base was because of "Everyone Is Here!" and that almost didn't happened since Square-Enix was probably hard to work with on that.

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice

Here are my 5 favorites:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario RPG
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario 64
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Odyssey
Happy Mar10 Day!

I would say my favorites are:

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Mario Kart Double Dash
3. Super Mario 64
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. M&L Superstar Saga/Partners in Time
6 (Honorable Mention). Super Mario Bros. 2

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Here are my 5 favorites:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario RPG
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario 64
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Odyssey
Top 5 Mario games for me would be:

1. Super Mario 64
2. SMRPG
3. PMTTYD
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

TheBeastHimself

I don't get that logic since pretty much any possible Square-Enix rep has a 99% percent chance of being DLC instead of being in the base game. Only reason Cloud was in base was because of "Everyone Is Here!" and that almost didn't happened since Square-Enix was probably hard to work with on that.
Then again, the majority of the popular Square Enix reps aren't in Geno's situation, where their future as a character is left to speculation, practically in limbo. That's why many believe it would've been ideal for Geno to be in the base roster. A lot of people also use Smash 4's DLC line-up as a frame of reference. All of those characters are either back by popular demand (veterans) or are an iconic representative of their franchise (Bayo, Ryu, Cloud). Corrin was just an ad. Unfortunately, Geno does not fit into any of those categories.

People know Square Enix is stingy and love their money, so why would they choose a character that not many people know over someone huge like Sora? Yes, Geno may have popular demand, but we have to remember that the (estimation here) 50,000+ people requesting Geno is only a fraction of the millions of Smash players. If Square really wants to maximize their profits and only includes one DLC character, it makes sense why a lot of people would jump to the conclusion that Geno probably isn't coming when Square owns many iconic characters. Another thing, some consider Geno's spirit to be a consolation prize.

I'm still going to support Geno either way, but I can get behind some of the arguments against him. To me, Geno is in the same situation as people begging for new EarthBound content. There's a lot of demand, but not enough to actually get anything done. I really hope that isn't the case. With Nintendo, if a game and its characters garners a cult following, they are basically trapped with supporting fans and no delivery. We've seen it time (EarthBound) and time (Golden Sun) again (Geno/SMRPG).

To conclude, I still believe Geno's chances are there and he could definitely be on the Fighter's Pass, just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Then again, the majority of the popular Square Enix reps aren't in Geno's situation, where their future as a character is left to speculation, practically in limbo. That's why many believe it would've been ideal for Geno to be in the base roster. A lot of people also use Smash 4's DLC line-up as a frame of reference. All of those characters are either back by popular demand (veterans) or are an iconic representative of their franchise (Bayo, Ryu, Cloud). Corrin was just an ad. Unfortunately, Geno does not fit into any of those categories.

People know Square Enix is stingy and love their money, so why would they choose a character that not many people know over someone huge like Sora? Yes, Geno may have popular demand, but we have to remember that the (estimation here) 50,000+ people requesting Geno is only a fraction of the millions of Smash players. If Square really wants to maximize their profits and only includes one DLC character, it makes sense why a lot of people would jump to the conclusion that Geno probably isn't coming when Square owns many iconic characters. Another thing, some consider Geno's spirit to be a consolation prize.

I'm still going to support Geno either way, but I can get behind some of the arguments against him. To me, Geno is in the same situation as people begging for new EarthBound content. There's a lot of demand, but not enough to actually get anything done. I really hope that isn't the case. With Nintendo, if a game and its characters garners a cult following, they are basically trapped with supporting fans and no delivery. We've seen it time (EarthBound) and time (Golden Sun) again (Geno/SMRPG).

To conclude, I still believe Geno's chances are there and he could definitely be on the Fighter's Pass, just sharing my thoughts.
Than there's also the fact that we truly don't know the actual Ballot results since Bayonetta and Castlevania scored high in the Ballot according to Sakurai. Both not showing any presence of their popularity at all online unlike Ridley and K. Rool.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Just watched this.
I wonder why his view of Geno is like it is. I know plenty of us have gone into mood's where we saw Geno that way, but he said it with such acceptance.
Taking a guy, who says that Mario's Down Smash comes from DDR (calling out RelaxAlax), seriously is not what I would advise.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Than there's also the fact that we truly don't know the actual Ballot results since Bayonetta and Castlevania scored high in the Ballot according to Sakurai. Both not showing any presence of their popularity at all online unlike Ridley and K. Rool.
It's a tricky situation with Geno. You're right, we don't know what the ballot results are. If Geno was one of the more popular characters, then the ball is in Square-Enix's court. They can play it safe and include an iconic character, or take the riskier route of including Geno. Ideally, DLC characters should appeal to a big audience. That's the point, right? To make money. Only time will tell if Geno has a big enough audience willing to buy him to make it in.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Here are my 5 favorites:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario RPG
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario 64
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Odyssey
Happy Mar10 Day! ^^
My list would go:
1) Super Mario Galaxy 2
2) Super Mario 64
3) Super Mario Galaxy
4) Super Mario World
5) Super Mario Odyssey

Honorable Mentions:
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Bros. 3

And no, I don't count the spinoffs or side series like Mario Kart. XP

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Pretty much, yeah. This is why I think, if we do get Geno, it'll be misc. DLC of some kind and not for the Fighter's Pass. The big ol' Fighter's Pass is where Square's going to want their biggest money-makers to get their biggest share. Big, big, big, all of which Geno is not. He has a large and loud fan base, but let's face the facts: we're but a puddle among the millions of people who bought Smash. That's not enough for such a title.

As separate DLC, though, I could see it happen. Hell, if people were so certain about him being in the base roster, why wouldn't he even be freeLC? I personally disagree and think that Square would want to milk all of the profit off of him as possible, though, but if people thought he'd get into base, why not free or misc. DLC? I kinda don't get the logic here, especially as someone who knows Square will want to pinch every last penny.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Here are my 5 favorites:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario RPG
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario 64
Superstar Saga
Partners in Time
Super Mario 64 DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario Odyssey
And here I am just barely crawling over the finish line in time to get a MAR10 post in. Anyway, for the occasion, here's my 5 favorite Mario games:

1. Super Mario Galaxy (my unbridled nostalgia for this game is as dense as the sun)
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
4. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
5. Super Paper Mario

I would list my honorable mentions, but honestly, that'd just be listing every Mario game I've ever played. Yes, I recognize that it is mostly RPGs on that list.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I don’t really think there is enough Earthbound demand to put it in the same slot as Isaac and Geno. That’s a much bigger league than what I’ve seen support for Earthbound wise.

You’ve also got the bigger elephant in the room when it comes to Mother as a series already being represented and represented quite well in Smash. 2 characters, 4 stages, and several items for an entire series of three games looks pretty nice.

That’s why I think Mother and Earthbound are going to have nothing but an uphill battle for content. The games already have a lot of representation, so it’s harder to get people on board. Plus Nintendo can always just point to the content already in Smash from the series and say they’ve done enough.

Compare that to Golden Sun or Super Mario RPG where the best we’ve gotten are an assist trophy and a mii costume respectively. And from what we’ve heard, they thought that was enough somehow...

Mother’s just in a different place completely representation wise. Personally, I’d find another rep for the series equivelant to Pokemon or Fire Emblem additions. Cool and hopefully unique for who they pick, but also adding to a series I see well represented. That’s NOT a criticism of any of those franchises, and I’d still likely be very happy with the additions just to be clear on that point as I know those franchises don’t always have super positive connotations with people, especially here.

I’ll also defend Geno a bit in the fact that from what we’ve seen, Sakurai picks the characters and asks for permission from the parent company. There’s not a whole lot to suggest he’s had any real trouble getting characters he seriously wanted and looked into, and less to suggest he’s been presented with a counter offer. Now Nintendo did pick more DLC this time, so maybe that impacts things differently. But I’m convinced if Sakurai wanted to make Geno a big enough priority, he’d do it and walk away with Geno and not someone else.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I don’t really think there is enough Earthbound demand to put it in the same slot as Isaac and Geno. That’s a much bigger league than what I’ve seen support for Earthbound wise.

You’ve also got the bigger elephant in the room when it comes to Mother as a series already being represented and represented quite well in Smash. 2 characters, 4 stages, and several items for an entire series of three games looks pretty nice.

That’s why I think Mother and Earthbound are going to have nothing but an uphill battle for content. The games already have a lot of representation, so it’s harder to get people on board. Plus Nintendo can always just point to the content already in Smash from the series and say they’ve done enough.

Compare that to Golden Sun or Super Mario RPG where the best we’ve gotten are an assist trophy and a mii costume respectively. And from what we’ve heard, they thought that was enough somehow...

Mother’s just in a different place completely representation wise. Personally, I’d find another rep for the series equivelant to Pokemon or Fire Emblem additions. Cool and hopefully unique for who they pick, but also adding to a series I see well represented. That’s NOT a criticism of any of those franchises, and I’d still likely be very happy with the additions just to be clear on that point as I know those franchises don’t always have super positive connotations with people, especially here.

I’ll also defend Geno a bit in the fact that from what we’ve seen, Sakurai picks the characters and asks for permission from the parent company. There’s not a whole lot to suggest he’s had any real trouble getting characters he seriously wanted and looked into, and less to suggest he’s been presented with a counter offer. Now Nintendo did pick more DLC this time, so maybe that impacts things differently. But I’m convinced if Sakurai wanted to make Geno a big enough priority, he’d do it and walk away with Geno and not someone else.
Yeah, EarthBound was a pretty bad example to use.

I agree with your points. If Sakurai pushed hard enough for Geno, even if he isn't on Nintendo's DLC list, I'm sure he can get him in. However, is it possible for Nintendo to push even harder and not allow that to happen? I doubt that would happen, but I'm curious to know all the possibilities regarding Geno's inclusion.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman

Nintendo picked ALL of the DLC this time around not "some". As stated by Sakurai in a tweet they just had Sakurai pick from the list of potential characters they had already been in negotiations to acquire for Smash Ultimate. Which he did depending on if he could make a kit for them for the game. As far as negotiations for character's go this time around though Sakurai had nothing to do with that side of things when it comes to DLC it was all Nintendo.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Nintendo picked ALL of the DLC this time around not "some". As stated by Sakurai in a tweet they just had Sakurai pick from the list of potential characters they had already been in negotiations to acquire for Smash Ultimate. Which he did depending on if he could make a kit for them for the game. As far as negotiations for character's go this time around though Sakurai had nothing to do with that side of things when it comes to DLC it was all Nintendo.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest Nintendo didnt pick them all. I’m well aware of that.

But Sakurai also approved the choices and made decisions surrounding the game still, so I don’t think it’s as simple as “all Nintendo” either.

Also, is there anything proof that to suggest that Sakurai didn’t oversee the negotiations like with everything else he does regarding Smash? Even if Nintendo gave him choices, I doubt the whole process of him obtaining rights would suddenly change and I imagine he’d be the one with most of the oversight.

Then again, I believe we don’t actually know much at all other than Nintendo put fourth names to Sakurai that he approved. Beyond that, everything is absolutely guesswork on our part.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
happy belated Mar10

D1TIvA_XcAEiFXf.jpg large.jpg

my favorite maryos are
1. Mario is Missing (PC)
2. Paper Mario: Color Splash
3. Super Diaper Mario
4. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
5. Sonic Labyrinth

link2702

Smash Champion
What’s sad is I actually didn’t mind either mario’s time machine or mario is missing if we’re talking the snes games... especially mario is missing due to a surprisingly decent/relaxing soundtrack of smw remixes that fit the theme of each city nicely.

I mean, yes they’re educational games, so they’re still bad by default, but they could certainly have been far worse..

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What’s sad is I actually didn’t mind either mario’s time machine or mario is missing if we’re talking the snes games... especially mario is missing due to a surprisingly decent/relaxing soundtrack of smw remixes that fit the theme of each city nicely.

I mean, yes they’re educational games, so they’re still bad by default, but they could certainly have been far worse..
Mario Teaches Typing also has its merits, funny enough. After all, it's the first game we got that featured Mario's voice actor, Charles Martinet. Sure, the disembodied head that came with it was... disconcerting... but I have a fondness for it.

Speaking of Charles, y'all should check out his Instagram. He takes his Mario and Luigi figurines on adventures around the world when he travels, makes the voices for them, and just does really wholesome things. Wario makes some cameos, too. It's amazing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't believe I forgot to say what my favorite Mario games are, but, anyways, they are:
1. Hotel Mario
2. Mario's Time Machine
3. Mario is Missing
4. Mario Teaches Typing
5. Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun

Just kidding, that was a troll response. My actual favorite Mario games are:
1. Super Mario RPG
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
3. Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
4. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

I originally liked SS more than PiT, but I changed my mind lol

Last edited by a moderator:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
My top 5 favorite Super Mario games are...

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Super Mario Sunshine

Ovaltine

Smash Master
everyone loves MTT and I wanted to be different please don't hurt me

the real travesty here is that none of y'all have even played Super Diaper Mario
I almost want to ask what Super Diaper Mario is but

I value my final shreds of sanity that the internet has spared very much

D

Deleted member

My favorite Mario games are:
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
4. Super Mario 64
5. Super Mario Maker

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm late, so I'll celebrate Marii Day.

My top 5 would probably be:
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Paper Mario (N64)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've just reached a breaking point when it comes to my mental state and how Smash (namely, its particularly toxic fans) has made it deteriorate rapidly. I'm going to distance myself a lot from this thread and Smashboards as a whole, likely for a good while. I'll probably lurk, knowing me, but that's about it.

Love you guys. See you on the flip side. If Geno never gets in, please treat Sakurai and anyone involved with respect. If anyone who hates Geno's fan base reads this, please understand that we aren't all bad, and some of us just want to exist in peace. That's all. Please consider who you harass and bully and the fact that there are good people with real feelings behind the screen.

I'm just... exhausted.

Take care. <3

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I've just reached a breaking point when it comes to my mental state and how Smash (namely, its particularly toxic fans) has made it deteriorate rapidly. I'm going to distance myself a lot from this thread and Smashboards as a whole, likely for a good while. I'll probably lurk, knowing me, but that's about it.

Love you guys. See you on the flip side. If Geno never gets in, please treat Sakurai and anyone involved with respect. If anyone who hates Geno's fan base reads this, please understand that we aren't all bad, and some of us just want to exist in peace. That's all. Please consider who you harass and bully and the fact that there are good people with real feelings behind the screen.

I'm just... exhausted.

Take care. <3
Do what you must. See you when there are better tidings.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

I'm just... exhausted.

Take care. <3
Aww I understand. But it was nice to have you around though. I hope things get better soon. :(

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is why I hate the toxicity we're up against at all times. I'm hanging on though so I can prove the assholes wrong.

D

Deleted member

This is why I hate the toxicity we're up against at all times. I'm hanging on though so I can prove the ******** wrong.
If it gets too annoying though, it's probably best to take a break. I took a break for some time, and it helped a lot.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If it gets too annoying though, it's probably best to take a break. I took a break for some time, and it helped a lot.
Personally I feel like my smash hype is mostly gone. I'm still existed for the future but it's been 3 months sense Joker was announced. And all we still have is a back of his model. With no hints of the 2nd DLC character besides a codename and stats we already discussed to death. Sure we have 3.0 to get excited for but news on that might not come for another month. And it's not due till the end of April with Joker.

Really it helps the time go by smoothly instead of spending on my time trying to find leaks or keep up with every little detail.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord

I'm just... exhausted.

Take care. <3
I support this wholeheartedly! Breaks are healthy.

Signed, guy who posts once a month.

D

Deleted member

Personally I feel like my smash hype is mostly gone. I'm still existed for the future but it's been 3 months sense Joker was announced. And all we still have is a back of his model. With no hints of the 2nd DLC character besides a codename and stats we already discussed to death. Sure we have 3.0 to get excited for but news on that might not come for another month. And it's not due till the end of April with Joker.
Agreed. It's not like it was during the base roster. I don't even know what the base roster had that made it so much time-worthy(?) than DLC, but it just happens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still really confident about Geno and SMRPG, but, more specifically in Geno's potential Smash newcomer case, a lot of the momentum from the base roster speculation is just gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
All I hope is that if Geno is in the game, he isn't leaked (beyond "there's a Square character"). So sick and tired of leakers stealing the chance for Sakurai & the team to surprise the fans after all their hard dedicated work just for some quick, shallow attention online.

I'm forever grateful K. Rool wasn't leaked, it was INFINITELY more hype seeing his trailer at the end of the August direct when it wasn't expected. Far more than it was to just go "ahhh yeah, the leaks were tru lol" at Simon's (though the trailer was still sick and Richter was a shock). I hadn't even seen Nintendo's blunder involving the music, I just heard endless Vergeben chatter so it was nowhere near as suspenseful to me.

Still salty Ryu and Roy got leaked just before they were revealed. You can't avoid spoilers on the internet. Especially with clickbait thumbnails and Twitter. Spoiler tags be damned.

Anyway, rant aside, I'll be massively glad if Geno can make it, leaks or not. If I had to guess, I think Phoenix Wright is the most likely for DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom