• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Considering the performance of today's direct? Nothing would have overshadowed him getting into Smash. It would have been the biggest announcement there. So I'm not sure why you think it would have been a footnote.

Nothing HUGE was revealed today. The biggest news was literally a remake of Link's Awakening and that's that.
Except a ton of people would have no clue who he is without context. Sure, it's a new Smash character but most people outside of Dragon Quest fans don't know who he is. That wouldn't go over well. This Direct was for a general audience and Erdrick is a very obscure character outside of Japan. The timing would have been terrible, especially since the Direct was at 7am in Japan when most people would have been at work or school anyways.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Would anyone here have been opposed to all the DLC fighters being announced at the same time when the fighter pass was first revealed?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Geno is back on the menu boys and girls!
He was never off the menu.

We have literally been riding Erdrick's **** since December. Is it so wrong to start questioning this narrative SLIGHTLY after months of being shut out of debates if you even TRY suggesting Erdrick may not be in?
To be fair, I’ve seen fairly little of Erdrick being forced, you’ve mostly been shut down to how you’ve acted, but that wasn’t because you were resistant to Erdrick specifically.

Of course everyone should be questioning the narrative of just Erdrick, but nothing at all has changed as this wasn’t a make or break day and if anything showed Dragon Quest in a more positive light for the western audiences with the localization.

Nothing has changed except for the insiders getting blown out with the wild predictions. We’re in the same position we’ve been in since Joker was announced at the TGAs. Just with the confirmed existence of a “Brave” that we know very little actually about and could have nothing to do with Square.

I still look at the situation as plainly as I see it. Geno still has a shot like always, just nothing changed today with his chances. And Dragon Quest and he are so very different in how they’d be selected that this isn’t a competition between them beyond the fact that we’re unlikely to get multiple Square reps on the Fighters Pass.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This is my thoughts about this whole situation. This might be a really long post so keep with me for the moment.

Fatmanonice is right in regard that SE treats Dragon Quest like a religion in Japan. Anything revolving around Dragon Quest news might as well make that day a national holiday. These directs are made in Japan, then translated for other regions. So of course the script for the Dragon Quest section is going to be the red carpet treatment. What this does for Erdrick's chances we can't say for sure. All we know is that Nintendo loves Dragon Quest or they at least know their Japanese market that loves Dragon Quest. Those are bonus points in his direction. But, at the same time most of the big named leakers who leaked him got a lot of stuff wrong on this direct. Making us question how good their credibility is now when it comes to Smash DLC. We got to remember that Sakurai picked from a list that Nintendo made. From what we know about Nintendo, they love Dragon Quest. So it can be almost guaranteed they put some sort of DQ character on the list. But, did Sakurai pick the character is another thing. We do know that Sakurai has gone on record saying he has enjoyed playing DQ games. But you know how many games he says stuff about that don't end up being in Smash? But we shouldn't be taking this as some sort of victory for Geno. We are back to where we started arguing over stats for a codename we don't even have available to us anymore.

So where do we stand right now?
Erdrick:
-DQ is popular in Japan
-Is called Brave like the codename
-Sakurai mentioned enjoying playing the DQ games
Geno:
-apparently super popular with NoA
-Smash fan requested
-Sakurai said he has been wanting to make Geno a fighter

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Except a ton of people would have no clue who he is without context. Sure, it's a new Smash character but most people outside of Dragon Quest fans don't know who he is. That wouldn't go over well. This Direct was for a general audience and Erdrick is a very obscure character outside of Japan. The timing would have been terrible, especially since the Direct was at 7am in Japan when most people would have been at work or school anyways.
Then what you're saying in a round about way is there is literally no perfect time to reveal him.

If he's that obscure. He's not going to be good in a Smash Direct, E3, whenever. No matter what you do he's now just the random obscure character.

Given the fact they always do Smash x Franchise Being Added. That point is mute anyways. You literally just focused on Dragon Quest as soon as that Smash Bros Ultimate X Dragon Quest III came up. People would have gotten it and understood in this direct.

The red carpet was out. It wasn't too long after the National Holiday in Japan. They hyped his franchise up to hell and back and announced two new games coming to Switch. They didn't announce him for Smash.

They blew it. I really don't know why you don't recognize this.

He'll be just ''Oh Erdrick is here." in any further direct unless they suck DQ's **** a little more right before.

Last edited:

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Would anyone here have been opposed to all the DLC fighters being announced at the same time when the fighter pass was first revealed?
Probably not. It actually may have been more consumer-friendly that way, since people know what they're getting when purchasing the Fighter Pass. Their decision also makes sense, though, as they need to extend the hype from now until next year, and keeping characters hush-hush seems like the optimal way to do so.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Not at all, Ive always thought this would have been ideal. But its a double edged sword for people like me.

I would have bought the fighter pass if I felt that a majority of the characters were worth spending money on.
On the other hand, if the dlc pack consisted of steve from minecraft and a slime from DQ, I would never buy the pass.
There just would be no value in it for me.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is my thoughts about this whole situation. This might be a really long post so keep with me for the moment.

Fatmanonice is right in regard that SE treats Dragon Quest like a religion in Japan. Anything revolving Dragon Quest news might as well make that day a national holiday. These directs are made in Japan. then translated for other regions. So of course the script for the Dragon Quest section is going to be the red carpet treatment. What this does for Erdrick chances we can't say for sure. All we know is that Nintendo loves Dragon Quest or they at least know their Japanese market that loves Dragon Quest. Those are bonus points in his direction. But at the same time most of the big named leakers who leaked him got a lot of stuff wrong on this direct. Making us question how good their credibility is now when it comes to smash DLC. Now we need to move on to remember that Sakurai picked from a list that Nintendo made. From what we know about Nintendo, they love Dragon Quest. So it can be almost guaranteed they put some sort of DQ character on the list. But, did Sakurai pick the character is another thing. We do know that Sakurai has gone on record saying he has enjoyed playing DQ games. But you know how many games he says stuff about that don't end up being in Smash? But we shouldn't be taking this as some sort of victory for Geno. We are back to where we started arguing over stats for a codename we don't even have available to us anymore.

Erdrick:
-DQ is popular in Japan
-Is called Brave like the codname
Geno:
-Smash fan requested
This. A number of leakers had their credibility upturned today but the story of Erdrick isn't over because of it. I'm still in the position of both him and Geno getting in some capacity because the only thing that says this absolutely can't happen is conjecture. If Erdrick in, I'm still waiting until the very end because I don't think it has a big impact either way. A Direct will probably happen before 3.0 so we'll be sitting on 8 months on knowing about Erdrick if he's in meaning the plan to have him in was decided a looooooooooooooooooong time ago and I still hold to my theory that he was actually 1. originally planned for base early in development or 2. the first DLC character that was decided.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Well, at least we got a direct.
There's not much I'm interested in. Just Marvel and Three Houses.

Also, Star Wolf laughing like Beavis and Butthead was awesome. I may need to pick up StarLink.

I'm debating about whether I'm interested in Dragon Quest XI or not. As I'm playing through Tales of Vesperia, I'm finding out just how bad I am at non-Nintendo RPGs, so we'll see.

At least there's a chance we'll get some goodies in the 3.0 update.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I feel like Nintendo is sitting up the biggest blue ball in history at this point.

I'm pretty sure Yo'ster Isle is just what Yoshi's Island is called in Japan.
Nevermind scatch that.

edit
nevermind nevermind. This is the only result that comes up when you search for Yo'ster Isle
https://mario.fandom.com/wiki/Yo'ster_Isle
Pretty sure it's a Super Mario RPG reference.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

CranberryBreve

Smash Rookie
Why would Nintendo have a Square Enix character ready to ship for the launch of Ultimate and then wait until at least challenger 2 pack to release that character? Square Enix rep must have been planned for the base game. What other Square Enix character would have been planned for base and moved to DLC? My guess is that the Geno hype during the summer of 2018 caused Nintendo to change it’s plans and move him to DLC.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Why would Nintendo have a Square Enix character ready to ship for the launch of Ultimate and then wait until at least challenger 2 pack to release that character? Square Enix rep must have been planned for the base game. What other Square Enix character would have been planned for base and moved to DLC? My guess is that the Geno hype during the summer of 2018 caused Nintendo to change it’s plans and move him to DLC.
The whole "SE rep was planned for the base game" theory always bugged me. That means Nintendo already had a DLC list for Sakurai to pick from way in advance, Sakurai didn't need to fully pick from the list OR Nintendo so conveniently put the character they needed to push back on the list.

D

Deleted member

I think the DLC was decided on by, at the latest, the end of 2017, if not at the end of 2016

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman Again, how do you figure? Shulk was revealed in Smash 4 in Japan first in a separate announcement and there have most definitely been Directs that were a lot more friendly to Japanese audiences. They also do Japanese exclusive Directs all the time and DQ has had like 4 or 5 press conferences in the last two months alone. There's nothing that said it had to be today in a random Direct. If people had said it was going to happen, that would be different but nobody was expecting serious Smash news today.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
More likely Nintendo fought to keep Cloud in base game over being DLC again rather than SE fighting for two base game characters. That really isn't their MO in crossovers.

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
Now that the direct is done, I thought I'd share all the games and my thoughts on them (not that it matters to anyone really lol).

**To preface, I see a lot of comments on how boring or bland this direct was. I totally get different opinions and what not, but when one sets themselves too high for Hype, this happens, so it's always important to temper expectations so one is not dissapointed. That said, yes, I would have loved Smash news, but we already have an amazing game and Piranha Plant just came out 2 weeks ago. If i had to rate this on an arbitrary scale, i would give it an 8/10 based on content and # of new info**

Lastly, the games like Animal Crossing Switch, Luigi's Mansion 3, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Gen 8 (would be via GameFreak anyway and may be soon), etc will have updates as time goes on, 3 of these 4 games hopefully this year and very likely to be this year. I hope people try to remember that there are still so many games coming, and while it does stink waiting for ones we are excited for, not to bash the games that are on the way because you may not personally into it.

We may get a specific direct for smash in April (if the 3.0 update seems to be as big as it is, and with more DLC on the way prior to the big reveals anticipated at E3) let us try to enjoy what we do have and not stress so much for DLC characters like this. I was hoping for Joker gameplay/footage but I can live until than. **Let's Stay Strong Geno Fans! Who knows what will happen at this point, with so many inconsistencies and uncertainty. I want to hope for the best but be hopefully optimistic.

[Stars are for anything new that was not shown/official before that I am personally interested in! Pow means I had already pre ordered/excited for]

let me get the smash one out of the way since there wasn't anything.

:starman:Super Mario Maker 2: (YES loved MM1)
:starman:Astral Chain: (I REALLY dug the music and the aesthetics. I am a BIG fan of Platinum Games, so this is one of my top 3 in the direct)
:starman:The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening Remake: (YES, I LOVED this game growing up, so underrated, but happy it got some spotlight and on Switch now!)
:starman:Oninaki: (Definitely interested as I really enjoyed I am Setsuna and Lost Sphere. Along with Octopath Traveler (meaning SE and Nintendo Collab) SMRPG2 one day?! God i wish

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: (Not for me, but cool for the fans)
Box Boy + Box Girl: (Never played Box Boy series, but interested)
Captain Toad: Teasure Tracker: (was good on the wii U and all, but not anything I am too wild on personally for the DLC/updates)
:pow:Bloodstained Ritual of the Night: (As a big Castlevania fan, looks promising and already backed it, still continues to look really good!)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 Switch: (Never got into DQ but looks nice from what i saw)
:pow:Dragon Quest XI S: (Anticipated to be shown at some point soon and it does look good, so definitely interested)
Disney Tsum Tsum Festival: OBVIOUSLY GOTY (jk, it's fine for those who like it I jus't don't care for it)
Starlink: Battle for Atlas Updates: (Looks fine, i played the base for a bit, but never gripped my attention, gimme Star Fox Grand Prix Plz)
Rune Factory 4 Special: (Never played a RF game, but happy for the fans) *Same goes for Rune Factory 5*
:pow:Yoshi's Crafted World: (Was already getting it as a big Yoshi Fan. I will try out the demo this weekend!)
:pow:Fire Emblem Three Houses: I really liked the change in direction and I am very intrigued to play this one as FE fan!
Tetris 99: This is THE battle Royale we needed everyone! (But for real, that's awesome!)
Dead by Daylight: (Didn't interest me, but the idea is neat for those who like it)
:pow:Deltarune Chapter 1 (Loved Undertale and CH 1 for DR, so this is a continued excitement!)
:pow:Daemon X Machina: (Was interested in this before, and I will try demo on the weekend)
:pow:Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (The mental health aspect interests me as a big fan of psychology and the mind)
Assassin's Creed 3: Remastered: (I am not an AC fan, but it looks fine for those who are fans)
:pow:Unravel 2: (One of the few games I liked from E3 last year, so good to see it coming to switch)
Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX: (As a big fan of FF, already played these awesome games, but finally on a Nintendo console is definitely good!)
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!: (As a fan of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, this is interesting to me, will look into it!)

If you made it through, thank you for looking into my random opinions! I am looking forward to this year even more now, and especially with E3 coming still! I am going to remain positive on all the fun games we will be able to enjoy :)

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now that the direct is done, I thought I'd share all the games and my thoughts on them (not that it matters to anyone really lol).

**To preface, I see a lot of comments on how boring or bland this direct was. I totally get different opinions and what not, but when one sets themselves too high for Hype, this happens, so it's always important to temper expectations so one is not dissapointed. That said, yes, I would have loved Smash news, but we already have an amazing game and Piranha Plant just came out 2 weeks ago. If i had to rate this on an arbitrary scale, i would give it an 8/10 based on content and # of new info**

Lastly, the games like Animal Crossing 3, Luigi's Mansion 3, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Gen 8 (would be via GameFreak anyway and may be soon), etc will have updates as time goes on, 3 of these 4 games hopefully this year and very likely to be this year. I hope people try to remember that there are still so many games coming, and while it does stink waiting for ones we are excited for, not to bash the games that are on the way because you may not personally into it.

We may get a specific direct for smash in April (if the 3.0 update seems to be as big as it is, and with more DLC on the way prior to the big reveals anticipated at E3) let us try to enjoy what we do have and not stress so much for DLC characters like this. I was hoping for Joker gameplay/footage but I can live until than. **Let's Stay Strong Geno Fans! Who knows what will happen at this point, with so many inconsistencies and uncertainty. I want to hope for the best but be hopefully optimistic.

[Stars are for anything new that was not shown/official before that I am personally interested in! Pow means I had already pre ordered/excited for]

let me get the smash one out of the way since there wasn't anything.

:starman:Super Mario Maker 2: (YES loved MM1)
:starman:Astral Chain: (I REALLY dug the music and the aesthetics. I am a BIG fan of Platinum Games, so this is one of my top 3 in the direct)
:starman:The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening Remake: (YES, I LOVED this game growing up, so underrated, but happy it got some spotlight and on Switch now!)
:starman:Oninaki: (Definitely interested as I loved Octopath Traveler and another Square Enix and Nintendo Collaboration is good!) SMRPG2 one day?! God i wish

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: (Not for me, but cool for the fans)
Box Boy + Box Girl: (Never played Box Boy series, but interested)
Captain Toad: Teasure Tracker: (was good on the wii U and all, but not anything I am too wild on personally for the DLC/updates)
:pow:Bloodstained Ritual of the Night: (As a big Castlevania fan, looks promising and already backed it, still continues to look really good!)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 Switch: (Never got into DQ but looks nice from what i saw)
:pow:Dragon Quest XI S: (Anticipated to be shown at some point soon and it does look good, so definitely interested)
Disney Tsum Tsum Festival: OBVIOUSLY GOTY (jk, it's fine for those who like it I jus't don't care for it)
Starlink: Battle for Atlas Updates: (Looks fine, i played the base for a bit, but never gripped my attention, gimme Star Fox Grand Prix Plz)
Rune Factory 4 Special: (Never played a RF game, but happy for the fans) *Same goes for Rune Factory 5*
:pow:Yoshi's Crafted World: (Was already getting it as a big Yoshi Fan. I will try out the demo this weekend!)
:pow:Fire Emblem Three Houses: I really liked the change in direction and I am very intrigued to play this one as FE fan!
Tetris 99: This is THE battle Royale we needed everyone! (But for real, that's awesome!)
Dead by Daylight: (Didn't interest me, but the idea is neat for those who like it)
:pow:Deltarune Chapter 1 (Loved Undertale and CH 1 for DR, so this is a continued excitement!)
:pow:Daemon X Machina: (Was interested in this before, and I will try demo on the weekend)
:pow:Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (The mental health aspect interests me as a big fan of psychology and the mind)
Assassin's Creed 3: Remastered: (I am not an AC fan, but it looks fine for those who are fans)
:pow:Unravel 2: (One of the few games I liked from E3 last year, so good to see it coming to switch)
Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX: (As a big fan of FF, already played these awesome games, but finally on a Nintendo console is definitely good!)
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!: (As a fan of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, this is interesting to me, will look into it!)

If you made it through, thank you for looking into my random opinions! I am looking forward to this year even more now, and especially with E3 coming still! I am going to remain positive on all the fun games we will be able to enjoy :)
Just so you know, Oninaki is being made by the people behind I am Setsuna and Lost Sphaer, not Octopath.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
More likely Nintendo fought to keep Cloud in base game over being DLC again rather than SE fighting for two base game characters. That really isn't their MO in crossovers.
We actually talked about this in the thread before. There is still the fairly credible rumor floating around that Square wanted Cloud as DLC a second time along with another Square Enix character but wound up compromising, which is another reason why I don't think two Square Enix DLC characters would be THAT weird.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Yo'ster Isle is just what Yoshi's Island is called in Japan.
Yeah, but this is an English version of the demo and in English it's only been referred to as Yoshi's Island other than in SMRPG. This to me is a very deliberate reference to SMRPG.

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
Just so you know, Oninaki is being made by the people behind I am Setsuna and Lost Sphaer, not Octopath.
Oh I know, i saw that, i meant to say the recent collaborations between SE and Nintendo LIKE Octopath lol

Thank you though for clarifying for me!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman Again, how do you figure? Shulk was revealed in Smash 4 in Japan first in a separate announcement and there have most definitely been Directs that were a lot more friendly to Japanese audiences. They also do Japanese exclusive Directs all the time and DQ has had like 4 or 5 press conferences in the last two months alone. There's nothing that said it had to be today in a random Direct. If people had said it was going to happen, that would be different but nobody was expecting serious Smash news today.
There's a clear difference in the Shulk case and this and you know it. You can't reveal a DLC fighter in a Japan exclusive direct. Lol. You're trying to sell the character to the WHOLE world. Not just the part of the world that already loves him.

You also don't have a Dragon Quest direct and reveal him there, because it ****s all over anything you say about the main series. Anything revealed about the main series gets overshadowed by Smash Brothers. It's why there's never been a case of a Smash character reveal in a franchise specific direct. Those are about new games and info in that series, not ''Oh and we're getting a character in Smash."

Smash Direct is a possibility, but you played the hype card on Dragon Quest already and waited too long to say ''Oh btw Erdrick is in." It telegraphs a reveal in a way we've NEVER seen before. And that's a major problem with Erdrick for me anyways, EVERYTHING is so telegraphed about him being in Smash Bros based on SO little info about him actually being in.

He's also not big enough world wide to be a feature at E3 IMO. At least not alone. And at that point he's been known sooooooooo long that it's fishy and phony as hell that a protective company didn't even bother to cover up that he was coming.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We actually talked about this in the thread before. There is still the fairly credible rumor floating around that Square wanted Cloud as DLC a second time along with another Square Enix character but wound up compromising, which is another reason why I don't think two Square Enix DLC characters would be THAT weird.
I believe it. Well, the first part. I think the compromise was probably Cloud in base and the other as DLC. Not holding my breath for three SE characters as it stands now, at least not before a second season. But you never know, they've certainly the catalogue for it.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but this is an English version of the demo and in English it's only been referred to as Yoshi's Island other than in SMRPG. This to me is a very deliberate reference to SMRPG.
I suppose it depends on whether the text is still in English in the JP demo.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Fatmanonice is right in regard that SE treats Dragon Quest like a religion in Japan. Anything revolving around Dragon Quest news might as well make that day a national holiday. These directs are made in Japan, then translated for other regions. So of course the script for the Dragon Quest section is going to be the red carpet treatment. What this does for Erdrick's chances we can't say for sure. All we know is that Nintendo loves Dragon Quest or they at least know their Japanese market that loves Dragon Quest. Those are bonus points in his direction. But, at the same time most of the big named leakers who leaked him got a lot of stuff wrong on this direct. Making us question how good their credibility is now when it comes to Smash DLC. We got to remember that Sakurai picked from a list that Nintendo made. From what we know about Nintendo, they love Dragon Quest. So it can be almost guaranteed they put some sort of DQ character on the list. But, did Sakurai pick the character is another thing. We do know that Sakurai has gone on record saying he has enjoyed playing DQ games. But you know how many games he says stuff about that don't end up being in Smash? But we shouldn't be taking this as some sort of victory for Geno. We are back to where we started arguing over stats for a codename we don't even have available to us anymore.

Erdrick:
-DQ is popular in Japan
-Is called Brave like the codename
-Sakurai mentioned enjoying playing the DQ games
Geno:
-Smash fan requested
-Sakurai said he has been wanting to make Geno a fighter
Don't forget how many legal hoops they need to go through in order to get Erdrick

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget how many legal hoops they need to go through in order to get Erdrick
I mean, someone twisted Sugiyama's arm enough to get orchestrated music in the Switch version of DQXI. And to the post above about how Erdrick isn't big enough for E3; keep in mind that Joker, another JRPG hero, was shown off at Game Awards as the big capstone event.

I know we all want to believe today BTFO of Erdrick's chances and that Geno alone stands proud, but we're basically just right back where we started, with nothing for or against Geno's chances.

Are people intentionally omitting the "Cookie" part? It's a SMRPG reference
Oh that's a good point. As far as I remember there's no cookies or anything like that in any other game on Yoshi's Island.

EDIT: Oh duh, how could I forget. Yoshi's Cookie on SNES. They're even rings like one of the puzzle shapes from the game.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean, someone twisted Sugiyama's arm enough to get orchestrated music in the Switch version of DQXI. And to the post above about how Erdrick isn't big enough for E3; keep in mind that Joker, another JRPG hero, was shown off at Game Awards as the big capstone event.

I know we all want to believe today BTFO of Erdrick's chances and that Geno alone stands proud, but we're basically just right back where we started, with nothing for or against Geno's chances.

Oh that's a good point.
Persona 5 took the game community by storm. He was honestly in my top 15 most likely, before the Grinch Leak. I don't think the Joker was as much of a out of nowhere pick that people thought. (Although I'm still stoked he got in!)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
All these direct SMRPG references lately are starting to spook me a little... I swear, if all this sudden namedropping doesn't end up culminating in anything, I might just throw something. Next thing you know, we're gonna have a sign that says "SMITHY'S ARMORY" show up in the next Mario Kart just to tease us...

The treatment DQ got in the Direct is kind of scaring me, too. I wouldn't be worried if it was just SE shilling DQ as usual, but this is Nintendo giving DQ the red carpet treatment alongside some of its own top-billing franchises. What obligation, no, what reason could Nintendo have to push Dragon Quest, a series it does not own, so hard next to Fire Emblem? It's up to interpretation, but it makes me worry that Nintendo might be setting up for something... something we might not like too much...

...oh, and that Direct as a whole? Yeah, it wasn't really for me. I won't try and **** on anyone else's enjoyment of it, but as a Nintendo kid at heart, the only thing that really stood out to me was Maker 2 (and even then, I wasn't a big fan of Maker 1, so Maker 2's gonna be a tough sell for me). I frankly don't know what all the insiders were talking this Direct up like it'd be the second coming of Iwata for... it kinda just looked like a whole lot of filler to me, with maybe two or three standout titles thrown in. (And even then, nothing bombshell-tier like people were implying.) Hell, I can't get enough of my RPGs, but even then, all the RPGs announced today kinda looked bland and same-y to me. Ah, well, it's not too long 'til E3...

Though I'll admit I did get a good laugh out of Tetris Battle Royale.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So this is now the 3rd SMRPG reference within a Nintendo title counting the Geno/Mallow spirits, and the Megasmilax namedrop in ssbu. And this is the first one outside of ssbu since mario & luigi way back in 2003. I don't want to make it more a big deal than it is, but its getting pretty hard to ignore now that SE is loosening the reigns on SMRPG content even outside of Smash. I question: Why now? Why all these obvious call outs and references in social media and now official titles if SMRPG elements are never coming back? Is it just fan service? Is Nintendo making deals with SE for what amounts to Easter Eggs? Is SE letting the namedrop this stuff for free?

This just seems very strange to me and a clear deviation on what's been happening for over 20 years.

I mean it's much better than Erdrick is 99% likely and Geno getting in would be a miracle which is where a lot of people were before the direct. I think that's what people are celebrating more than anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom