• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. No Joker gameplay. At least we know what he looks like ingame... and we know he's coming pretty soon (if he's gonna be part of 3.0, that is). They said magor stuff was coming, but after 2.0, I'm certain "magor" dosen't mean anything exciting.
UPDATE: Well ****, maybe this is gonna be something. My friend (who's way better at seeing stuff like this than me) said he noticed a blurred out mode on the menu. If that's true, then that's ****ing huge. I've looked, and I heard a few other people say they saw something too. Could somebody with a REALLY good eye rewatch the Smash segment to see if my friend was correct?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think hatred for Verge is rather unfounded. After all, he isn't the problem beyond a pretty bad attitude (and the way he loves to use 'autism' as an insult, like gee thanks my literally autistic *** loves that). His sources are the ones relaying bad information. He's only relaying what he's heard and placing bets.

Now, the people who think Verge is always 100% right and has done no wrong, however... hooo.
You literally listed the main reason to hate Verge lmfao. I think that, combined with his hatred of smash fans, is more than enough reason.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Verge is ****ed.

He got two things incorrect, and each of them he was 100% sure of.

I will laugh my *** off if he tries to backpedal, and to see what people say to him now
Three wrong. He called for pikmin 3 today, Star Fox: GP, and 2d Link not being awakening. The last is the most important imo, because it shows that he possibly really is being leakbaited.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
How are we coming out of this direct MORE confident in Erdrick? Guy's; let's take little victories where we can rather than trying to shoehorn Erdrick back into the narrative.
Why can't Erdrick be shoehorned back into the narrative? It's not like we're at war with him or his fanbase. This direct didn't confirm squat about the DLC characters, so we should be in the exact same situation we were before the direct. Also, this thread ain't a Geno echo chamber, so I don't think we should ignore what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice pointed out. DQ did get a lot of buzz during the direct and that's not something we should just gloss over and pretend didn't happen.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Why can't Erdrick be shoehorned back into the narrative? It's not like we're at war with him or his fanbase. This direct didn't confirm squat about the DLC characters, so we should be in the exact same situation we were before the direct. Also, this thread ain't a Geno echo chamber, so I don't think we should ignore what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice pointed out. DQ did get a lot of buzz during the direct and that's not something we should just gloss over and pretend didn't happen.
Totally true. That said, it does definitely leave me more skeptical. Erdrick isn't out of the running yet.

That being said, though, Vergeben being totally wrong on a lot of stuff makes me wonder if he was wrong, too, about Geno not being in. We could still get Erdrick in FP and Geno as misc. or future DLC. It's still possible.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
We have literally been riding Erdrick's **** since December. Is it so wrong to start questioning this narrative SLIGHTLY after months of being shut out of debates if you even TRY suggesting Erdrick may not be in?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Like I said they can hype Dragon Quest as much as they want but it doesn't mean people are going to become hyped for Dragon Quest. If the West isn't interested they're not interested.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
This was the one direct they couldn't mess up and they did exactly that lol.

Games that caught my eye:
Mario Maker 2 (won't be buying it, but I knew it was coming)
BOXBOY BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Hellblade (kinda)
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening

Also how dare they show .001 seconds of Joker and nothing else grrr.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
How are we coming out of this direct MORE confident in Erdrick? Guy's; let's take little victories where we can rather than trying to shoehorn Erdrick back into the narrative.
Im not more confident, I just don't wanna see people get overly hyped up about something that might not be the case. Just steel yourselves and be ready for the worst, and hope for the best. I'm gonna sit and wait to see what happens without getting my hopes up a second time.

ZelDan

Smash Master
You literally listed the main reason to hate Verge lmfao. I think that, combined with his hatred of smash fans, is more than enough reason.
To be fair, I'm sure Smash fans gave him alot of **** to the point alot of people would probably grow tired of the Smash fanbase.

I don't remember if verge started showing the...less desirable parts of his character before or after he started getting hounded by Smash fans though.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
There's Tansut too. It's been heavily implied that Xenother has the same sources as Vergeben so there's that.
Tansut is the only thing keeping Erdricka alive imo. But no one is perfect, and only one good name attached to Erdrick isn't enough to make him that likely.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I'm sure Smash fans gave him alot of **** to the point alot of people would probably grow tired of the Smash fanbase.

I don't remember if verge started showing the...less desirable parts of his character before or after he started getting hounded by Smash fans though.
I think verge has always been a jerk, even before smash, I am sure opinions vary on this however.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think hatred for Verge is rather unfounded. After all, he isn't the problem beyond a pretty bad attitude (and the way he loves to use 'autism' as an insult, like gee thanks my literally autistic *** loves that). His sources are the ones relaying bad information. He's only relaying what he's heard and placing bets.

Now, the people who think Verge is always 100% right and has done no wrong, however... hooo.
That is a perfectly good reason to not like Verge.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Wasn't tan suits thing so vague though it could have been anything? and besides he also claimed there was a leaked picture out that Nintendo was really scared about and it wasn't the ken leak. That picture was never found.

TheBeastHimself

We have literally been riding Erdrick's **** since December. Is it so wrong to start questioning this narrative SLIGHTLY after months of being shut out of debates if you even TRY suggesting Erdrick may not be in?
Well I think that whoever treats Erdrick like a lock and tries to shut other people down needs to chill out. All I'm trying to say is that we know SE is super stingy, so odds are we're only getting one SE character. And DQ got a lot of love today. And Fatmanonice has a point, so to completely disregard what happened today may be setting up future disappointment. I don't want this thread to morph into a Geno circlejerk. We're all very level-headed and logical here, that's what I love. We've never excluded any type of discussion, so we don't necessarily need to start now.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There's Tansut too. It's been heavily implied that Xenother has the same sources as Vergeben so there's that.
Yeah, I'm very skeptical of most insiders, but outside of Polar's, the only one I'd say has some solidarity still is Tansut. If it wasn't for him, I'd be that much more doubtful of Erdrick now, but Tansut's got an in with SE that's been proven credible.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tansut is the only one of these with a leg to stand on, and he's still capable of being wrong.

I still think Erdrick is a possibility, but he's had the red carpet rolled out for him in this direct and he's just going to arrive months later to the event?

Does that not ring odd to you? It's like Meryl Streep releasing a movie and not promoting it until 2 months after it's been in theaters.

Hyping DQ up to the West in this direct was literally the perfect time to make people go ''Okay, well DQ11 looked awesome, so I'm about this." about his reveal.

That effect won't last literal months later.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well I think that whoever treats Erdrick like a lock and tries to shut other people down needs to chill out. All I'm trying to say is that we know SE is super stingy, so odds are we're only getting one SE character. And DQ got a lot of love today. And Fatmanonice has a point, so to completely disregard what happened today may be setting up future disappointment. I don't want this thread to morph into a Geno circlejerk. We're all very level-headed and logical here, that's what I love. We've never excluded any type of discussion, so we don't necessarily need to start now.
I acknowledge that the arguments are trying to look for the negative in a pile of positive.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Tansut is the only one of these with a leg to stand on, and he's still capable of being wrong.

I still think Erdrick is a possibility, but he's had the red carpet rolled out for him in this direct and he's just going to arrive months later to the event?

Does that not ring odd to you? It's like Meryl Streep releasing a movie and not promoting it until 2 months after it's been in theaters.

Hyping DQ up to the West in this direct was literally the perfect time to make people go ''Okay, well DQ11 looked awesome, so I'm about this." about his reveal.

I 100% hope you are right, but It's not over till its over.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Alright so here's some ways Nintendo can recover after that boring direct:

1) Actually showing Bayonetta gameplay and not "hey y'all look it's BayoneSIKE Y'ALL BETTER WAIT"
2) Either Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion gameplay
3) Daemon X Machina info
4) Some port that would probably be awesome for the Switch *ehem* Ori Cuphead and Edith Finch *ehem*
5) Odyssey DLC or a sequel for the love of god
6) Anything Pikmin or Metroid

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Alright so here's some ways Nintendo can recover after that boring direct:

1) Actually showing Bayonetta gameplay and not "hey y'all look it's BayoneSIKE Y'ALL BETTER WAIT"
2) Either Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion gameplay
3) Daemon X Machina info
4) Some port that would probably be awesome for the Switch *ehem* Ori Cuphead and Edith Finch *ehem*
5) Odyssey DLC or a sequel for the love of god
6) Anything Pikmin or Metroid
I think Nintendo is just fine personally.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I went into the direct expecting nothing except maybe a smash reveal. I leave with some really annoying insiders being proven wrong. Also Tetris Battle Royale. 10/10 GOTY

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681

I'd hardly consider it the perfect opportunity, though my heart did skip a beat. They even said there's more to come for Dragon Quest. I think he'll be announced around E3 or April.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm REAL surprised there was NOTHING for luigis mansion, since that comes out in July? I think was the leaked time frame? and they showed off both maker 2 and FE, which are june/july releases.

I'm wondering if they maybe had a hiccup with Luigis mansion and have to fix it or something?

TheBeastHimself

I acknowledge that the arguments are trying to look for the negative in a pile of positive.
Yeah, honestly that's a fair way to view the situation. In my opinion though, if Erdrick discussion pops up, we shouldn't shoo it away. I don't think people should be treating him like a lock and I do believe the best time for him to be revealed was in this direct, but it may bite us in the ass later on if we just shut down negativity. However, I think the fact that Erdrick wasn't revealed given the direct's circumstances is enough to celebrate. But that doesn't mean he's 100% out of the picture, you know?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Like I said, they could always do a separate Dragon Quest Direct or a Smash Direct, it wouldn't be that unusual. There's nothing that said Erdrick absolutely had to be revealed today if he's in. Again, based on how they embellished Dragon Quest in today's Direct, they would probably want it to be the highlight of a presentation, not a foot note like it would have been if it closed or opened up the Direct. I don't think today was a make or break day, especially with how little we saw of Joker.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, honestly that's a fair way to view the situation. In my opinion though, if Erdrick discussion pops up, we shouldn't shoo it away. I don't think people should be treating him like a lock and I do believe the best time for him to be revealed was in this direct, but it may bite us in the *** later on if we just shut down negativity. However, I think the fact that Erdrick wasn't revealed given the direct's circumstances is enough to celebrate. But that doesn't mean he's 100% out of the picture, you know?
yeah, exactly this, it looks potentially GOOD that hes not gonna make the cut. but to act like this is the end without a definitive answer, is just as bad as the people treating it like "enjoy ur erdrick guys hes in" without confirmation. All of the hype DQ got is worrying, and until we get a "Geno whirls in" reveal, I'll continue to worry.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like I said, they could always do a separate Dragon Quest Direct or a Smash Direct, it wouldn't be that unusual. There's nothing that said Erdrick absolutely had to be revealed today if he's in. Again, based on how they embellished Dragon Quest in today's Direct, they would probably want it to be the highlight of a presentation, not a foot note like it would have been if it closed or opened up the Direct. I don't think today was a make or break day, especially with how little we saw of Joker.
Considering the performance of today's direct? Nothing would have overshadowed him getting into Smash. It would have been the biggest announcement there. So I'm not sure why you think it would have been a footnote.

Nothing HUGE was revealed today. The biggest news was literally a remake of Link's Awakening and that's that.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Wew I already was not a fan of Vergeben before but I didn't know he used autism as an insult. My younger brother has autism and I work with a lot of children and adults who have ASD. People using it as an insult (and really anyone mocking people with developmental disorders) is one of the few things in life that really pisses me off. Unironically **** him. I'm genuinely happy now that he got btfo. I've thought for awhile that it was a possibility that people got leakb8d with Erdrick just because of how much of an out of nowhere choice he is despite people performing all sorts of mental gymnastics to rationalize it. I'm really thinking that's what happened now.

Last edited:

CranberryBreve

Smash Rookie
Things are looking good for Geno following this direct. Let’s not forgot, sans “leaks” from Verge, Geno is the newcomer that just makes the most logical sense.

My prediction:
E3 will continue to be a fan service event in terms of Smash news. I think Geno will kick off the start of the E3 direct and will be available same day. (Seems like Square Enix rep has been ready to ship since launch and Nintendo is just holding him for E3) Then Banjo will be challenger 3 and will be revealed at the end of the direct with a late summer release.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
People: hey who’s the new dlc?
Nintendo: Tetris battle royale and HD Titanic
jk but seriously this case needs some solving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom