• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
All these direct SMRPG references lately are starting to spook me a little... I swear, if all this sudden namedropping doesn't end up culminating in anything, I might just throw something. Next thing you know, we're gonna have a sign that says "SMITHY'S ARMORY" show up in the next Mario Kart...

The treatment DQ got in the Direct is kind of scaring me, too. I wouldn't be worried if it was just SE shilling DQ as usual, but this is Nintendo giving DQ the red carpet treatment alongside some of its own top-billing franchises. What obligation, no, what reason would Nintendo have to push Dragon Quest, a series it does not own, so hard next to Fire Emblem? It's up to interpretation, but I worry Nintendo might be setting up for something... something we might not like too much...

...oh, and that Direct as a whole? Yeah, it wasn't really for me. I won't try and **** on anyone else's enjoyment of it, but as a Nintendo kid at heart, the only thing that really stood out to me was Maker 2 (and even then, I wasn't a big fan of Maker 1, so Maker 2's gonna be a tough sell for me). I frankly don't know what all the insiders were talking this Direct up like it'd be the second coming of Iwata for... hell, I can't get enough of my RPGs, but even then, all the RPGs announced today kinda looked bland and same-y to me. Ah, well, it's not too long 'til E3...

Though I'll admit I did get a good laugh out of Tetris Battle Royale.
Square loves to shill the DQ franchise whenever it can. I'm not really convinced right now it's a lead in to Erdrick right now, especially how BTFO a lot of insiders were after this Direct.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Three wrong. He called for pikmin 3 today, Star Fox: GP, and 2d Link not being awakening. The last is the most important imo, because it shows that he possibly really is being leakbaited.
I have nothing against these leakers, but they really screw themselves over. It sounds like a lot of them just sit on information until they feel as though its 100% confirmed.
That confidence ends up killing their credibillity over time if they are wrong.
Some say people's jobs are at stake, but if they truly cared about that, why leak anything in the first place?

What I think they should all do is just have a general discussion open about everything they know.

While Papa Genos isnt what I consider a leaker, his format is ideal. If some of the most prominent leakers could present information like him, we would probably have a better understanding of new developments. He lets everyone know that its a rumour swirling around, and based on proof gathered at that point he makes a logical decision.

On the other hand you have people who make videos about every little rumour which turns their channels into more or less a joke. There is a balance that has to be struck when dealing with all the new info that comes in.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The treatment DQ got in the Direct is kind of scaring me, too. I wouldn't be worried if it was just SE shilling DQ as usual, but this is Nintendo giving DQ the red carpet treatment alongside some of its own top-billing franchises. What obligation, no, what reason could Nintendo have to push Dragon Quest, a series it does not own, so hard next to Fire Emblem? It's up to interpretation, but it makes me worry that Nintendo might be setting up for something... something we might not like too much...
DQ is kinda a religion in Japan. Maybe that is why?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How's the geno thread going. Guessing there's some serious discussion going on.

Leaker's shouldn't be trusted anyway. Info from them should just be taken in strides.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How's the geno thread going. Guessing there's some serious discussion going on.

Leaker's shouldn't be trusted anyway. Info from them should just be taken in strides.
There was another SMRPG reference spotted in the new Yoshi game.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
Okay so nothing of note truly happened in the direct leakwise. So what do we do now? Assuming that next direct is at the start of April, that’s 45~ days of wait time. Do any leaks come out and could this update help give us a hint on what’s yet to come? I don’t know, but pack your bags, we’re going to the future...in 45~ days.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Alright playing the DxM demo is... well... interesting. The camera angles they choose when you first walk around are sometimes weird and I found them switching way too quickly to the point where it became annoying. Some enemies can be hard to see and the animations are a bit awkward at times. The menus aren't fun to navigate whatsoever. The characters feel kinda lackluster and the controls are thrown at you all at once in a very unhelpful tutorial (at least, I thought).

If you want the camera sensitivity to actually be normal, set it to -3 in the menu.

It feels like a game with missed potential judging by the demo, because I really do see a LOT of room for improvement that could make this game a blast to play.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Alright playing the DxM demo is... well... interesting. The camera angles they choose when you first walk around are sometimes weird and I found them switching way too quickly to the point where it became annoying. Some enemies can be hard to see and the animations are a bit awkward at times. The menus aren't fun to navigate whatsoever. The characters feel kinda lackluster and the controls are thrown at you all at once in a very unhelpful tutorial (at least, I thought).

If you want the camera sensitivity to actually be normal, set it to -3 in the menu.

It feels like a game with missed potential judging by the demo, because I really do see a LOT of room for improvement that could make this game a blast to play.
Huh... Well that's disappointing. Hopefully people give them this feedback on the survey and social media considering they were so up front about wanting feedback from people who play the demo..

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It didn't look perfect even from just the footage they showed.
I kind of got a bit of that feeling with astral chain too tho. They have some time to improve it i guess. but it still looks good, just maybe not new-gen quality.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It didn't look perfect even from just the footage they showed.
I kind of got a bit of that feeling with astral chain too tho. They have some time to improve it i guess. but it still looks good, just maybe not new-gen quality.
DxM I understand, but Astral Chain will be just fine. It's made by Platinum after all and this is the first we are seeing it.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I know this is the Geno thread and I'm facing bias here: But what makes you people think Geno will be the E3 reveal, assuming he gets in at all? If I may recall: Reggie said that the Fighter's Pass is meant to be for characters you would never expect in Smash, which imo leads be to think they're all third-parties.

And even if they aren't, it's still going to be characters who are likely "WTF" and hype worthy ala Cloud and Joker. What modern gamer, or evne a casual gamer to this day and age even KNOWS about Geno much less be hyped or him besides the playerbase who already follow Nintendo/Smash.

There's hoping your favorite gets in, and then there is grasping at straws thinking Nintendo would be this considerate. Nintendo is a business, and as sad as it is to admit: They WILL prioritize hype-makers over nostalgia-bait (which means more chances for Erdrick and ugh...Sora *shudders*)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
DxM I understand, but Astral Chain will be just fine. It's made by Platinum after all and this is the first we are seeing it.
I know, but that's also what surprised me. I was like.. wait platinum made this? but it looks low quality compared to their usual..
But it's just a first impression. Im curious for the futrue of it. There's other games i saw that interest me more tho. Like the bloodstained and the action rpgs I saw.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is the Geno thread and I'm facing bias here: But what makes you people think Geno will be the E3 reveal, assuming he gets in at all? If I may recall: Reggie said that the Fighter's Pass is meant to be for characters you would never expect in Smash, which imo leads be to think they're all third-parties.

And even if they aren't, it's still going to be characters who are likely "WTF" and hype worthy ala Cloud and Joker. What modern gamer, or evne a casual gamer to this day and age even KNOWS about Geno much less be hyped or him besides the playerbase who already follow Nintendo/Smash.

There's hoping your favorite gets in, and then there is grasping at straws thinking Nintendo would be this considerate. Nintendo is a business, and as sad as it is to admit: They WILL prioritize hype-makers over nostalgia-bait (which means more chances for Erdrick and ugh...Sora *shudders*)
You do know everyone has different opinions, right? You also seem to be unaware of how requested Geno is for Smash.

No offense, but you honestly seem like you want to come and rile things up in here. Also, emphasis on "imo." You have no idea what Nintendo would do, so trying to base the DLC off of your personal preferences is actually grasping for straws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I know, but that's also what surprised me. I was like.. wait platinum made this? but it looks low quality compared to their usual..
But it's just a first impression. Im curious for the futrue of it. There's other games i saw that interest me more tho. Like the bloodstained and the action rpgs I saw.
You think? It was love at first sight for me, can't wait for it to come out.

Also guys my opinion might not be the best since I don't like many really good Switch games, i.e.:
Octopath Traveler
Dead Cells
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Rocket League
Splatoon 2 (kind of, it just felt like Splatoon 1.5)

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

>which imo leads be to think they're all third-parties.
Sorry what
Ah true, Geno is 1st party :4pacman:

>What modern gamer, or evne a casual gamer to this day and age even KNOWS about Geno much less be hyped or him besides the playerbase who already follow Nintendo/Smash.
That's why this game is only for new people, if you've already played like 100 hours you have to ask for a refund because it's not for you, only for new players!

Sorry if I sound rude but I don't see your point, nobody "claimed" at "serious" that Geno is going to be E3 Reveal, hell like 60% of Geno Supporters believes Erdrick is in the FP while Geno has chances of being Misc. DLC Also Geno is a "Hype" maker in the sence that its inclusion would BTFO the "Spirits can't be DLC" and can be seen as "Nintendo is Listening to the fans". But since that's my opinion I can be wrong just like you buddy

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You think? It was love at first sight for me, can't wait for it to come out.

Also guys my opinion might not be the best since I don't like many really good Switch games, i.e.:
Octopath Traveler
Dead Cells
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Rocket League
Splatoon 2 (kind of, it just felt like Splatoon 1.5)
Oh ok, well dont let my impression shake anything then. I'll give it another look and chance later on.
But yeah, octopath traveler is pretty cool. Different tastes eh. which is fine :)

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I gotta say I was expecting Luminary to be confirmed while they exhaustively went through every detail of his life

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

He's a highly requested character that hasn't had an appearance in 20 years outside of a costume in Sm4sh. He would be both a hype maker and a character a lot of people wouldn't expect. Both are your criteria for potential fighters. So per your own logic he would make sense as a fighter and would be a hype reveal for E3 especially if paired with a character like Banjo. It's funny that you ask what casual/modern gamer would be hype for Geno yet then say Erdrick has a good shot as if he's super well-known or even requested to any significant degree. And let's be real here: The people being super hyped for Joker weren't "casual" gamers. Persona/SMT isn't Fortnite. It's pretty niche as a series even if it does have a fanbase.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I gotta say I was expecting Luminary to be confirmed while they exhaustively went through every detail of his life
Same. I was about to cry and die but thankfully that didn't happen

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
He's a highly requested character that hasn't had an appearance in 20 years outside of a costume in Sm4sh. He would be both a hype maker and a character a lot of people wouldn't expect. Both are your criteria for potential fighters. So per your own logic he would make sense as a fighter and would be a hype reveal for E3 especially if paired with a character like Banjo. It's funny that you ask what casual/modern gamer would be hype for Geno yet then say Erdrick has a good shot as if he's super well-known or even requested to any significant degree.
Highly requested within the Smash community, or even the Nintendo/outside? Seems like people tend to confuse both as the same thing.

If by hype you mean only the Nintendo fans who were old enough to remember him/played his games then yes. If I mean casual gamers who would be too young, then no. Also Geno is co-owned by Square: You really think they'd pick Geno as their rep over a FF/DQ/etc. character? Yes Sakurai wants him, but what about Square? If Sakurai fully had his way: FF would have more tracks and actually have spirits in the base game.

Erdrick (and by extension DQ) is freaking huge in Japan. If he ends up being a thing; you bet your ass the Japanese side will be ecstatic. Not so much the West though but eh...

Look I know how passionate you people are about Geno: But overhyping and being too optimistic will only hurt in the long run. Grinch leak anyone?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like we often forget how popular Geno is on both sides of the sea. Geno placed high in that one Sakurai Brawl poll for a reason.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Would anyone here have been opposed to all the DLC fighters being announced at the same time when the fighter pass was first revealed?
I would be pretty opposed to that. It's just a long waiting game of waiting for content to drop at that point with no hype. That would have been the worst scenario honestly and have made things much less interesting as a fan.

Don't forget how many legal hoops they need to go through in order to get Erdrick
We've got nothing to substantiate how difficult obtaining Erdrick or any Dragon Quest character for a title actually would be. We know that there are multiple companies involved. That's it. The actual legal ramifications of getting those companies involved to make a DQ character a reality in Smash are completely unknown. Especially when Nintendo of all people are the ones asking.

There is no reason for us to keep leaning on this part of the Dragon Quest question. Is Geno theoretically easier to license? Sure, they've done it before with the Mii costume. But we don't know anything about how the Square/Nintendo deals actually go or how hard any certain act is to achieve in the context of Smash.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Highly requested within the Smash community, or even the Nintendo/outside? Seems like people tend to confuse both as the same thing.

If by hype you mean only the Nintendo fans who were old enough to remember him/played his games then yes. If I mean casual gamers who would be too young, then no. Also Geno is co-owned by Square: You really think they'd pick Geno as their rep over a FF/DQ/etc. character? Yes Sakurai wants him, but what about Square? If Sakurai fully had his way: FF would have more tracks and actually have spirits in the base game.

Erdrick (and by extension DQ) is freaking huge in Japan. If he ends up being a thing; you bet your *** the Japanese side will be ecstatic. Not so much the West though but eh...

Look I know how passionate you people are about Geno: But overhyping and being too optimistic will only hurt in the long run. Grinch leak anyone?
M8 I feel like you think you're blowing our minds here with this **** but honestly you're like the hundredth person to drop into this thread and lay out these very same criticisms against Geno and each time we've brought up reasons why those criticisms are ****. You could honestly go back hundreds of pages and see the same thing over and over and over again. You coming in and talking down to us like this really isn't going to do you any favors or cause us to "see the errors of our ways". It's just going to annoy people at minimum or get you several threads worth of a walls of text laying out why your points are inaccurate. Someone else can have the honor of explaining to you why exactly what you're saying is off though because it won't be me this time. Enjoy your stay :^)

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
But overhyping and being too optimistic will only hurt in the long run. Grinch leak anyone?
Speaks for yourself, Nobody is Overhyping it or being too optimistic here, also

>Highly requested within the Smash community, or even the Nintendo/outside? Seems like people tend to confuse both as the same thing.
What are you even trying to get into, like.. if Barbie DS fandom wants Geno or something? Also nobody is saying the Smash Community is the only we have to worry about but.. isn't normal to the Smash Games to be more important and relevant to the Smash Community?

Sorry but I think you're trying to argue for the sake of arguing, if you want to see why or why not Geno would be in DLC see the last... 400 pages or something, we've discussed this before.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman

Erdrick (and by extension DQ) is freaking huge in Japan. If he ends up being a thing; you bet your *** the Japanese side will be ecstatic. Not so much the West though but eh...

I ain't saying you're wrong about Erdrick's Japanese popularity but I will say that, by all indications, Dragon Quest content hasn't been begged for the way Cloud was, which lead to his inclusion. Geno meanwhile maintains a presence on polls next to other big names despite his obscurity, and the distinction between the Smash community and "outside" is meaningless since it's the Smash community who's going to be buying the DLC when they come out.

Other than Chrom, a low effort Echo Fighter, Japan has never been specifically pandered to for a character the way the West constantly has since Marth and Roy, who were intended to be left out of the Western release but ultimately spawned Fire Emblem in the West. I think Erdrick would sell well regardless but it'd be due to being a DLC character in Smash Bros, rather than any actual popularity on his part over here.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet

I don't think anyone's seriously considering that Geno is a shoe in, or even "going to be" revealed at E3, we're all here hoping that Geno will be included in Smash based on perceived hints and tidbits found here and there though tweets, posts, leaks, rumors, and bits found in games like the oddly numerous SMRPG references found in Smash.

That being said, at the end of the day, all we're and anyone else is doing is grasping at straws trying to piece together a puzzle that may or may not exist (most likely the latter).

Even if Geno isn't included, and we get Eridrick or Sora as a character, I'd welcome both with open arms. Though I have no attachment to Dragon Quest, and only a cursory knowledge of Kingdom Hearts (Only played 1, CoM, 2, BBS, and am currently plugging along 3) either character would make a fine addition.

But I would still prefer Geno.

It's no real surprise that Smash DLC characters appear to be mostly focused on trying to advertise, or push another game series into people's field of view. Cloud for all the Final Fantasy games coming to the Wii U and 3DS, Bayonetta for, well the Bayonetta games, Corrin for Fire Emblem and so forth. While once again I'm banging on this drum, until I find a reason to otherwise, it still holds for Geno's consideration as a marketing tool.

Back in 2017 Square Enix stated that they both wanted to, and currently have plans on either porting, or remastering their old RPG games to the Switch which includes SMRPG, and what better way to herald this event than to announce Geno as a Smash character in order to draw attention to these re-releases? They get the money from Geno's inclusion, they get the money from the games being on the Switch, and they're essentially being paid to have it advertised. Sounds like a good idea to me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's a videogame; while we'll be disappointed and maybe a little sad, it's not like we'll be depressed.

We're not really expecting Geno to for-sure get in, anyway, just hoping Nintendo does something with him and the rest of SMRPG since they keep bringing it up lately.

I didn't even know Geno existed until Smash stuffs and I thought he was cool/liked him even before I started playing SMRPG.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Geno meanwhile maintains a presence on polls next to other big names despite his obscurity, and the distinction between the Smash community and "outside" is meaningless since it's the Smash community who's going to be buying the DLC when they come out.
Yeah true, I love how is always Geno vs FF/DQ/KH (Not literally "against" but you know what I mean) a poor little old puppet vs relevant giant franchises

D

Deleted member

I mean, you thought Erdrick would be a hype pick despite few people outside of Japan knowing who he is. He doesn't have the fan demand like Geno, and if you are arguing that Erdrick's series is "big," then the same argument could be made for Geno because he comes from the Mario series.

So, overall, you don't have any valid arguments from your side other than conjecture and treating opinions as fact.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay, what the heck. NoA tweeting about SMRPG for the first time in years, then the Super Mario Kun segment, then the HQ quiz thing, then Piranha Plant's SMRPG influences, the Megasmilax/Smilax/Chewies mentions, the Yoshi's Crafted World reference...

In the past couple of years, SMRPG has been referenced more than it has been in two decades. If it was just Smash, that'd feel like specifically-aimed fan pandering, but it's leaking into Yoshi's Crafted World, too.

I'm utterly baffled. Either Square isn't stingy at all with SMRPG like we were thinking, or they were, but they've finally loosened some ties. Crazier yet, what if the reason the Geno cameo didn't come back in the Superstar Saga remake is because... Nintendo and Square were ironing out legal negotiations for SMRPG's properties? In that kind of limbo, it's no wonder they wouldn't be used, and some of the timing lines up.

It's a huge stretch, but I'm starting to wonder if that 'Nintendo buying or reworking contracts for SMRPG's assets' theory might hold a bit of water. A bit.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Okay, what the heck. NoA tweeting about SMRPG for the first time in years, then the Super Mario Kun segment, then the HQ quiz thing, then Piranha Plant's SMRPG influences, the Megasmilax/Smilax/Chewies mentions, the Yoshi's Crafted World reference...

In the past couple of years, SMRPG has been referenced more than it has been in two decades. If it was just Smash, that'd feel like specifically-aimed fan pandering, but it's leaking into Yoshi's Crafted World, too.

I'm utterly baffled. Either Square isn't stingy at all with SMRPG like we were thinking, or they were, but they've finally loosened some ties. Crazier yet, what if the reason the Geno cameo didn't come back in the Superstar Saga remake is because... Nintendo and Square were ironing out legal negotiations for SMRPG's properties? In that kind of limbo, it's no wonder they wouldn't be used, and some of the timing lines up.

It's a huge stretch, but I'm starting to wonder if that 'Nintendo buying or reworking contracts for SMRPG's assets' theory might hold a bit of water. A bit.
I'm... literally more scared of March 9th than E3 right now..

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
apparently Yoshi's Island in SMW is called Yo'ster Island in Japan.

However, the font for the Yo'ster Cookies sign in Yoshi's Crafted World looks about like SMRPG's basic text font.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

yeah to NOT get geno in the super star remake and then to get all these CASUAL super mario rpg references...something is up...

expected to end this day with Erdrick confirmed and Geno once again out of the race for another smash game... instead now I'm just looking at the Mario RPG "hints" and trying not to hype myself up but... theres something to all this. smash or not, nintendo is pushing mario rpg references when they couldnt/wouldnt for years, what is happening???

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

>implying Geno isn't a well-known character among general Nintendo fans at this point

I'm noticing that people generally tend to undersell Geno's popularity by a pretty gross margin. It's not like he's from some no-name game nobody played and only Smash fans and "boomers" know who he is; he's actually a generally popular character even outside the Smash bubble, especially for a one-off character from the Mario series. I feel pretty confident in saying that his inclusion wouldn't generate crickets - on the contrary, it'd probably generate headlines as just about any Smash announcement would (think along the lines of "SMRPG's Geno is FINALLY in Smash, Fans Rejoice"). If someone like Joker could "break the internet", as much as I despise the term, I have zero doubts that Geno could as well considering how much his name's gotten around lately. Hell, I'd even say that most young Nintendo fans probably DO recognize Geno just because of how strong of a social media presence he has. I'll probably get mocked for this, but I really do believe that the silent majority stands with Geno and his supporters at this point, even if only in a "just put him in already" sense.

Really, though, these posts you're making just seem superfluous to me. None of us are raising our expectations unreasonably high at this point, mate - if anything, I'd dare say most of us aren't expecting Geno at all as part of the Fighter Pass. We've all heard this **** before about how Geno wouldn't be a "smart business pick" and nobody will recognize him (lol), so I don't really see the point of this post...? Because to me, it just seems like unnecessary nannying.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
apparently Yoshi's Island in SMW is called Yo'ster Island in Japan.

However, the font for the Yo'ster Cookies sign in Yoshi's Crafted World looks about like SMRPG's basic text font.
For a minute I was definitely convinced as I thought SMRPG was the only time cookies were ever associated with Yoshi, but I then remember Yoshi's Cookie on SNES and looked it up. Sure enough, one of the pieces is a ring cookie that resembles the artwork used in Crafted World.

Stuff like Megasmilax's namedrop is still weird though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For a minute I was definitely convinced as I thought SMRPG was the only time cookies were ever associated with Yoshi, but I then remember Yoshi's Cookie on SNES and looked it up. Sure enough, one of the pieces is a ring cookie that resembles the artwork used in Crafted World.

Stuff like Megasmilax's namedrop is still weird though.
I feel like it's a simultaneous reference. Were they referred to as Yo'ster cookies in Yoshi's Cookie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom