• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
By no means is Geno confirmed... but I at LEAST feel like him and Erdrick are now on an equal playing field. Is that a fair assessment?

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's a simultaneous reference. Were they referred to as Yo'ster cookies in Yoshi's Cookie?
Yo'ster is the Japanese name of Yoshi's Island. It was referred as that due to SMRPG occasionally having super literal translations (like the NokNok shell).

Though according to Wikipedia, Nintendo doesn't even technically own the rights to Yoshi's Cookie. The devs own the game while Nintendo licensed the Mario branding to it.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Yo'ster is the Japanese name of Yoshi's Island.
to be fair though, nintendo is usually at least decent at translating the names on posters and stuff like that (apart from that one kinopio burger thing from mario party), and the only times it was called y'oster isle in japan were mario world, mario rpg, and partners in time

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A couple things I want to throw in:

1. Where's this evidence that Geno wouldn't sell? "Oh, there's no way he'd sell well against major franchise characters." Based on what? It's like arguing that there's no way that Bayonetta would have sold well because it was mostly the Smash fanbase pushing for her. As I've said here before, Bayonetta isn't even in the top ten best selling SEGA franchises and she's kind of a literal who to people who haven't played either of the super niche games. Bayonetta 2 hasn't even crossed a million yet and the Wii U version sold roughly 300k when she was introduced in Smash. Super Mario RPG has been rereleased three times with the SNES Classic selling roughly 5.5 million units and original SNES game selling about 2.0 million. I'll never understand this idea that nobody knows who this character is, especially if you go on YouTube and thumb through the avalanche of SMRPG fan videos, music, and animations.

2. Why would Geno be inappropriate for E3? Wii Fit was an E3 reveal. Same with Palutena in Smash 4 and Ice Climbers for Melee. Ridley was the big reveal of last E3 and we damn well know that the Smash fanbase absolutely dwarfs the Metroid fanbase and that Metroid isn't a big mainstream series. There's this weird implication that everyone and their grandma would need to know the character for it to be shown at E3. You have almost a decade and a half's worth of evidence that Geno has had a sizable supporting fanbase so why not?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yo'ster is the Japanese name of Yoshi's Island. It was referred as that due to SMRPG occasionally having super literal translations (like the NokNok shell).

Though according to Wikipedia, Nintendo doesn't even technically own the rights to Yoshi's Cookie. The devs own the game while Nintendo licensed the Mario branding to it.
Interesting. I still think that it is somewhat of a SMRPG reference. When you type up "Yo'ster cookies," all you get is SMRPG stuff.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I feel like it's a simultaneous reference. Were they referred to as Yo'ster cookies in Yoshi's Cookie?
As far as I can tell, Super Mario RPG is the only game that Yoshi Island is referred to as Yo'ster Island.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Island_(place)

Considering Yoshi Cookies were an exclusive item in that area, the reference is not far off from being Super Mario RPG exclusive.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
yeah to NOT get geno in the super star remake and then to get all these CASUAL super mario rpg references...something is up...

expected to end this day with Erdrick confirmed and Geno once again out of the race for another smash game... instead now I'm just looking at the Mario RPG "hints" and trying not to hype myself up but... theres something to all this. smash or not, nintendo is pushing mario rpg references when they couldnt/wouldnt for years, what is happening???
It is incredibly suspicious. Now while it's all possibly coincidental, even someone who's the furthest from a Geno supporter has to realize that this is all getting way too suspicious.

Sakurai buying a figure with a gun that both looks like, and fires beams like Geno's gun arm? Coincidental. Nintendo of America wishes Super Mario RPG a happy 22nd anniversary while Smash speculation and discussion was at an all time high and asking about if people are team Geno or team Mallow? Purely coincidental. The art from an official artist getting taken down, Super Mario Kun, the trivia game answer, Brave's stats being similar to a ranged zoner, the SMRPG singing Piranha Plant reference, Megasmilax, and now the cookie in Yoshi's Crafted World? All, purely, coincidental.

All this, after two decades of nary a whisper save for a single cameo which was summarily removed in its re-release, in the span of when Smash Brothers is one of the hottest irons to strike, and you still think that this is all purely coincidence? True, that until any officials say anything regarding the matter, it must be treated as such, but I for one am wearing the largest pair of skeptacles I can find.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
At this point, I'm sort of in this weird limbo where all these out-of-the-blue SMRPG references being thrown around are making me feel good about Geno's future in general, but at the same time, the obsessive DQ-pushing on Nintendo's part leads me to feel Smash might not be the venue for it. Either way, I'm cautiously hyped going forward!
A couple things I want to throw in:

1. Where's this evidence that Geno wouldn't sell? "Oh, there's no way he'd sell well against major franchise characters." Based on what? It's like arguing that there's no way that Bayonetta would have sold well because it was mostly the Smash fanbase pushing for her. As I've said here before, Bayonetta isn't even in the top ten best selling SEGA franchises and she's kind of a literal who to people who haven't played either of the super niche games. Bayonetta 2 hasn't even crossed a million yet and the Wii U version sold roughly 300k when she was introduced in Smash. Super Mario RPG has been rereleased three times with the SNES Classic selling roughly 5.5 million units and original SNES game selling about 2.0 million. I'll never understand this idea that nobody knows who this character is, especially if you go on YouTube and thumb through the avalanche of SMRPG fan videos, music, and animations.

2. Why would Geno be inappropriate for E3? Wii Fit was an E3 reveal. Same with Palutena in Smash 4 and Ice Climbers for Melee. Ridley was the big reveal of last E3 and we damn well know that the Smash fanbase absolutely dwarfs the Metroid fanbase and that Metroid isn't a big mainstream series. There's this weird implication that everyone and their grandma would need to know the character for it to be shown at E3. You have almost a decade and a half's worth of evidence that Geno has had a sizable supporting fanbase so why not?
Yes. Big claps for you, sir.
ROBClap.gif

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
WRT Geno being revealed at E3 I do think it's worth pointing out that Ridley is similarly a massive cult character in Smash fandom who was shown off to massive applause. Is it outrageous to suggest Geno could get the same reception?

Interesting. I still think that it is somewhat of a SMRPG reference. When you type up "Yo'ster cookies," all you get is SMRPG stuff.
I'm assuming it's a reference to Yoshi's Cookie as Crafted World is being developed by a JP company as well as the specific shape of the cookies, but hey who knows.

to be fair though, nintendo is usually at least decent at translating the names on posters and stuff like that (apart from that one kinopio burger thing from mario party), and the only times it was called y'oster isle in japan were mario world, mario rpg, and partners in time
Oh is Yoshi's Island not called Yo'ster anymore in JP games?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell, Super Mario RPG is the only game that Yoshi Island is referred to as Yo'ster Island.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Island_(place)

Considering Yoshi Cookies were an exclusive item in that area, the reference is not far off from being Super Mario RPG exclusive.
It most definitely is an SMRPG reference. I don't know why people are trying to chalk it up to just being the Japanese translation of Yoshi's Island.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
At this point, I'm sort of in this weird limbo where all these out-of-the-blue SMRPG references are making me feel good about a potential comeback for Geno and (hopefully) his friends in the future, but at the same time, the obsessive DQ-pushing on Nintendo's part leads me to feel Smash might not be the venue for it. Either way, I'm cautiously hyped going forward!

Yes. Big claps for you, sir.
View attachment 192283
Honestly after this cookie thing I'm beginning to wonder if Geno really could make it in the FP as a combination first-party rep/SE rep even if Erdrick is in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is incredibly suspicious. Now while it's all possibly coincidental, even someone who's the furthest from a Geno supporter has to realize that this is all getting way too suspicious.

Sakurai buying a figure with a gun that both looks like, and fires beams like Geno's gun arm? Coincidental. Nintendo of America wishes Super Mario RPG a happy 22nd anniversary while Smash speculation and discussion was at an all time high and asking about if people are team Geno or team Mallow? Purely coincidental. The art from an official artist getting taken down, Super Mario Kun, the trivia game answer, Brave's stats being similar to a ranged zoner, the SMRPG singing Piranha Plant reference, Megasmilax, and now the cookie in Yoshi's Crafted World? All, purely, coincidental.

All this, after two decades of nary a whisper save for a single cameo which was summarily removed in its re-release, in the span of when Smash Brothers is one of the hottest irons to strike, and you still think that this is all purely coincidence? True, that until any officials say anything regarding the matter, it must be treated as such, but I for one am wearing the largest pair of skeptacles I can find.

I miss this show.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
A Geno & Banjo reveal at E3 would be...I don't even think I have the words to describe how I would fell.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a question for you all. A psychological question in fact. Has my change in icon in any way affected the tone of any of my posts? I am just curious, since it is going to be my icon for quite a while(Until the Square rep is revealed in fact).

Edit: Fixed a word error.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a question for you all. A physiological question in fact. Has my change in icon in any way affected the tone of any of my posts? I am just curious, since it is going to be my icon for quite a while(Until the Square rep is revealed in fact).
Nope. It's the same, I just read everybody's posts in a neutral tone in my voice and that hasn't changed.

D

Deleted member

I honestly did not expect Verge to get ****ed this hard. He really is done. There's nothing he can do to recover his credibility after this direct.

I have a question for you all. A physiological question in fact. Has my change in icon in any way affected the tone of any of my posts? I am just curious, since it is going to be my icon for quite a while(Until the Square rep is revealed in fact).
Yeah it has. You just looked pissed after today's direct :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ve mentioned this theory in the past, but with another direct gone by and no mention of the se character....I’m truly beginning(maybe hoping) that Nintendo and sakurai are trying to convince se to let them make geno playable, and are basically stalling for time now. For whatever reason they’re maybe set on making the se character the next reveal no matter what.

*sigh* i can hope anyway. I do still also wish though that they’d just reveal the se character already, geno or not. I’ve said it before, but it’s way too stressful not knowing right now at all now.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think you mean "psychological"...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nope. It's the same, I just read everybody's posts in a neutral tone in my voice and that hasn't changed.
I am the same to an extent, but icon changes still throw me off.
Yeah it has. You just looked pissed after the direct today :troll:
I quite enjoyed the direct. My icon is a result of the Square rep not being revealed(i.e. I lost a bet I made).
I think you mean "psychological"...
I am pretty sure my face just made the same expression as my icon just now.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I thought you were a new person before I looked at your name. I do think that profile pictures on the internet can give off a certain impression though especially on a place like this where none of us personally know one another.

A Geno & Banjo reveal at E3 would be...I don't even think I have the words to describe how I would fell.
I think I might actually get emotional.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
so I posted this in the Social thread but I must share my findings here:

Geno is Sans and I have proof:

-Both are strong
-Both are fast
-Both are magic
-Both have lasers
-Both primarily feature the color blue
-Geno has yellow and blue
-Sans's eye turns yellow and blue
-Both are from EarthBound

Matpat was wrong and so were everyone else.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

-Both are strong
-Both are fast
-Both are magic
-Both have lasers

Bravo my good sir, you cracked the case.

D

Deleted member

-Both are strong
-Both are fast
-Both are magic
-Both have lasers

Geno is an Earthbound character
:bobomb:

link2702

Smash Champion
Can someone post a link to the smrpg reference in the new yoshi game? I watched its trailer again after hearing it here, but I cannot find it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Can someone post a link to the smrpg reference in the new yoshi game? I watched its trailer again after hearing it here, but I cannot find it.
Here you go.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’ve mentioned this theory in the past, but with another direct gone by and no mention of the se character....I’m truly beginning(maybe hoping) that Nintendo and sakurai are trying to convince se to let them make geno playable, and are basically stalling for time now. For whatever reason they’re maybe set on making the se character the next reveal no matter what.

*sigh* i can hope anyway. I do still also wish though that they’d just reveal the se character already, geno or not. I’ve said it before, but it’s way too stressful not knowing right now at all now.
I doubt that. It usually takes a year to make those kind of negotiations with a third party, or I believe that's what I've heard floating around. Are they trying to convince them? Maybe, but it has no bearing at all on Erdrick. They're two entirely separate entities with different hurdles and processes. None of that matters in the least.

D

Deleted member

I would 1000% get emotional and would cry tears of joy cause thank god both of my wanteds being revealed within the same event? That's Beyond hype that's just straight up the ultimate timeline.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

-Both are strong
-Both are fast
-Both are magic
-Both have lasers

They are also BOTH 10ft tall

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

-Both are strong
-Both are fast
-Both are magic
-Both have lasers

You know too much now.

link2702

Smash Champion
Here you go.
Ty.

Ok now all these smrpg references have gotta mean something....it seems weird to have all these references as just coincidences.

Maybe Nintendo bought full rights to the game now? Maybe that’s why they’re dropping so many hints about it? Obviously the culex boss and ff music would still belong to square, but what if Nintendo got the rights to everything else?

D

Deleted member

Ty.

Ok now all these smrpg references have gotta mean something....it seems weird to have all these references as just coincidences.

Maybe Nintendo bought full rights to the game now? Maybe that’s why they’re dropping so many hints about it? Obviously the culex boss and ff music would still belong to square, but what if Nintendo got the rights to everything else?
I hope they did.

I'm shaky on whether they bought it, but, at this point, I'd be surprised if there weren't any future plans for SMRPG, whether it be Geno in Smash or a remake/sequel of SMRPG

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ty.

I am not sure about Nintendo buying the full rights, but I do think that Nintendo would still get Culex if they did so. He may be a big Final Fantasy joke, but he is not an actual Final Fantasy character. His track still belongs to Square though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Bad news guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom