• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How likely would it be to see Square Enix making a new Mario Sports game featuring Geno.

They already did two in the past, with both featuring playable Final Fantasy characters and one of the two adding Slime too. Because of that, I want to think that the idea of Geno appearing in a new Mario Sports title by Square is likely... But do you feel the same about it?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
How likely would it be to see Square Enix making a new Mario Sports game featuring Geno.

They already did two in the past, with both featuring playable Final Fantasy characters and one of the two adding Slime too. Because of that, I want to think that the idea of Geno appearing in a new Mario Sports title by Square is likely... But do you feel the same about it?
Honestly, now that Square seems to be aware of Geno's popularity, his and Mallow's chances of appearing in something like that is actually pretty likely. I hope they do that sometime! It'd be great!

D

Deleted member

Honestly, now that Square seems to be aware of Geno's popularity, his and Mallow's chances of appearing in something like that is actually pretty likely. I hope they do that sometime! It'd be great!
I think the same.
And with Octopath Traveller getting good reception alongside the other Square titles for Switch, Nintendo may call them for a new Mario Basketball game.
I would find it likely to see Geno in that one.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We might not get a first party among the fighter's pass. We might get one. That's about as much real information we have on the DLC design. The only reason to believe it's all 3rd party is because a 1st party is "expected", but the issue is there's tons of them, and no way to know how they're going about it enough. Are spirits actual disconfirmation, for example, would give us something to work with.

Other things to keep in mind is how Sakurai intends to implement a character. If he has an idea for someone, he may never change his mind(Dixie is one notable example of this, as her being a tag team may be the only reason he hasn't put her in the game yet, unable to make that mechanic work) either. Now, of course, making her an Echo or semi-clone might be a cool route too, but that only gets her in, not makes her fun or unique by design inherently.

Adding characters is cool. How you actually make them work is really important too. But to be fair, when it comes to speculation, not everybody cares about how the moveset is implemented(and that's fine, it's not like it's their job to come up with a moveset. They aren't making the game, after all).
That's not necessarily true. It's hard for me to believe that Nintendo wouldn't want some of their own IPs beyond a bonus character to be represented in this DLC cycle. I firmly believe we're only getting 3 3rd party characters, and at least one or technically 2 if Geno is counted. If the DLC cycle for Smash 4 could have two FE characters, two Mario characters really isn't that big a stretch.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
I think the same.
And with Octopath Traveller getting good reception alongside the other Square titles for Switch, Nintendo may call them for a new Mario Basketball game.
I would find it likely to see Geno in that one.
Omg I would play the heck out of that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not necessarily true. It's hard for me to believe that Nintendo wouldn't want some of their own IPs beyond a bonus character to be represented in this DLC cycle. I firmly believe we're only getting 3 3rd party characters, and at least one or technically 2 if Geno is counted. If the DLC cycle for Smash 4 could have two FE characters, two Mario characters really isn't that big a stretch.
It's not as simple as you're making it. They can look into that, but it doesn't work if Sakurai can't figure out how to make it work either. It's a team effort here. There's things like sales to take into account, what movesets can be made, if there's games to promote on its own as a possibility, as well as the ballot in some cases(Joker and PP are the only two we have, and they aren't ballot-related, but still, it's something that I doubt will be ignored entirely. We might not get a DLC ballot pick, though).

There's two sets of people behind the scenes here. We can still easily get all 3rd party characters. There's no real reason to believe we'd only get a max of 3 3rd party(I'm not sure what you mean on Geno, but he's 100% 3rd party, so he's either part of the pass and the 3rd party count, or he isn't in the pass and we have two other 3rd parties for what your prediction is).

Also, the DLC Smash 4 period isn't something that we can find a pattern in anyway. There were no veterans this time around to bring back as DLC. It's a whole new ballgame. We really have nothing hard to go off on. Not when we have two fairly unexpected characters alone. Even Joker fans didn't see him as having good chances. PP came out of nowhere. A lot of people think Nintendo characters are some kind of guarantee for DLC. They aren't. They can absolutely happen. Just like there is no guarantee all of the Fighter's Pass will be 3rd party. Basically, we have no real information to determine stuff like this. Yet. When we get our second reveal, we might start getting a better understanding of things. Till then, people are spitballing heavily at possibilities. With zero evidence to back up any way the DLC can go, taking a firm stance doesn't do much when you have no real evidence to believe in any of that. Not for this game. Smash 4's DLC wasn't even fully explained, too. We don't know why Bayonetta actually get in. We don't even know if the ballot remotely had any part in it, though we have evidence to believe she likely didn't. We literally know 6 out of 7 reasons for addition at this point, which means we don't even have a solid DLC period set of information to help us predict this. Just a few good notes. In fact, Corrin at best proved that patterns don't exist and trying to expect something won't work out too well. The dragon wasn't seen coming because not only did we have a FE character as DLC, but who expected a character only one region knew about, and only for a short time? This seems closer to what's going on with Joker, unexpected picks. Ones that many fans won't see coming. But maybe it's not exactly that either(this is what I mean by how hard it is to figure out what Reggie is fully trying to say).

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Guys...Geno related dream...

So at one point in this dream we’re watching some kind of Nintendo presentation, and suddenly they show off this trailer with the Geno Awakens theme, and a bunch of Toads falling from the sky, one blue Paper Toad falls last, so as we’re watching we all assume its related to RPG Mario

Then we get a scene of Peach and Bowser in the artstyle of SMRPG (as in those renders, like how they look on the cover art) and immediately recognize the similarities, so we get hyped and suddenly Nintendo shows off SM64 gameplay and explains that its a port of that game with added content.

(Bonus dream, overweight middle age man is following me to GameStop in a truck asking why I was wearing his hat, and Ryu just comes and shoryukens him)

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Guys...Geno related dream...

So at one point in this dream we’re watching some kind of Nintendo presentation, and suddenly they show off this trailer with the Geno Awakens theme, and a bunch of Toads falling from the sky, one blue Paper Toad falls last, so as we’re watching we all assume its related to RPG Mario

Then we get a scene of Peach and Bowser in the artstyle of SMRPG (as in those renders, like how they look on the cover art) and immediately recognize the similarities, so we get hyped and suddenly Nintendo shows off SM64 gameplay and explains that its a port of that game with added content.

(Bonus dream, overweight middle age man is following me to GameStop in a truck asking why I was wearing his hat, and Ryu just comes and shoryukens him)
why'd you take his hat bro

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The person who leaked the direct said Erdrick is in; so I'm actually not too hyped. I just want to get it over with to be honest.

Polar's insistence that Xen is right still baffles me though...
I don't think it was the same person.

I'm doubtful people know the content of the Direct. I've noted for a while that "leakers" love to add stuff. Direct's happening have leaked out before but rarely does the content. My guess is sites are told in advance so they can get the information out soon after, or friends at Nintendo say something. It's also interesting that he said Mario Maker 2 AFTER people suspected it from Nintendo saying they were going to have an online game. Switch also isn't great for Mario Maker either.

I'm skeptical of Erdrick as everyone just expects him based on weak rumors, so much so that they find connections that aren't there. I think it will be someone else entirely, but I've been wrong before. I think it's safe to assume a Direct will happen soon (in a week or two) but take some salt with the other rumors.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Apparently King Zell has "retired" from leaking because people were being buttholes to him thanks to the super enhanced social media exposure and I really don't think that's fair. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason Polar rarely stops by anymore. People take this way too seriously. As for me, I've been here almost 13 years and been wrong/embarrassed in just about every way outside of leaked nudes so that's why I'm not bothered if stuff I relay is right or wrong. As they say, don't shoot the messenger unless it turns out the messenger is deliberately deceiving people.

D

Deleted member

Apparently King Zell has "retired" from leaking because people were being buttholes to him thanks to the super enhanced social media exposure and I really don't think that's fair. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason Polar rarely stops by anymore. People take this way too seriously. As for me, I've been here almost 13 years and been wrong/embarrassed in just about every way outside of leaked nudes so that's why I'm not bothered if stuff I relay is right or wrong. As they say, don't shoot the messenger unless it turns out the messenger is deliberately deceiving people.
I completely agree.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And this is why we can't have nice things.

I'm fairly certain Zell has told the truth, and no one will realise it until it's too late.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Just because everyone is saying it's Dragon quest doesn't mean it is, if you guys remember that square Dragon quest, because square is strict with leaks and makes perfect leak bait Dragon quest aka Erdrick. So he could be easily leak bait. However square has been trying to make Dragon quest popular in the west, so i can see it happening. I'm still betting on Geno being in super smash bros ultimate if u ask me. Especially after all the piranha plant super Mario rpg references, i think this is hinting towards Geno in smash. P.s. Sorry if i posted this twice.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And this is why we can't have nice things.

I'm fairly certain Zell has told the truth, and no one will realise it until it's too late.
Yeah, everything Polar showed me showed that King Zell was a good guy with his only goof in the last year being the N64 Classic. Supposedly people have been harassing him hard as of late and I feel a little guilty sharing what he said on Resetera on here because of it. Honestly, he's probably right about his statements anyways because the only thing he's said that that nobody else has hinted at is Boxboy on the Switch but, seriously, who would?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You mean like Crunchii?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
No, but I don’t think they should limit their choices to just third party stuff either.

Nintendo still has a lot of characters from critically acclaimed and successful games, so it’s not like they don’t belong in the biggest crossover.
Sorry, but that's quite the overstatement you're pulling there. And for the matter being, I'll omit ATs and Miis because it's quite clear they're not gonna be playable characters until proven they're fair game. What's left? I can only really think of one critically acclaimed character absent from the roster: Dixie Kong. What about other characters that people bring up because they have no spirits? Yeah, I don't find them to be famous in any way, and for Porky, I stand still where I say he won't happen simply because New Pork City already exists and there's no reason to make another Mother 3 stage just for a bundle. And now, what famous characters they've got for third-parties? A lot. Sephiroth, Chun-Li, Doomguy, Lloyd/Yuri, Steve, many SNK characters, Ryu Hayabusa, Arthur, 2B, and I'm pretty sure there's more to bring. Hell, I bet everything that more people will be able to recognize Morrigan Aensland over whatever flavour of the month FE character they bring.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
You know I’m starting to get the feeling to not look into him anymore
The real question is why did you even look into him in the first place? He came out of nowhere and has no track history. The moment he gets something right or wrong, that will be the revelation of candor or erroneous. We will observe once the next DLC character succeeds into the fighters pass. Like what MattX20 MattX20 said, take his leaks with a grain of salt.
Can't wait for Brave
I can smell the S-tier already...
Yet all Smash 4 DLC after Mewtwo were good guys. A random character won't seem great on paid DLC, free bonus is a different issue.

I personally think every fighter pass character will be like Joker: Popular on their own and coming from games that made an impact.
I consider Corrin a villain because I got destroyed by a lot of Corrin mains back in my Smash 4 days, and he also made a bunch of people sad. What kind of monster makes a bunch of people sad? Oh yeah, A VILLAIN!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, everything Polar showed me showed that King Zell was a good guy with his only goof in the last year being the N64 Classic. Supposedly people have been harassing him hard as of late and I feel a little guilty sharing what he said on Resetera on here because of it. Honestly, he's probably right about his statements anyways because the only thing he's said that that nobody else has hinted at is Boxboy on the Switch but, seriously, who would?
I know right, Boxboy's status could lead anyone to assume that HAL dropped it like a wet sock, so this find is really interesting, since it implies that HAL is putting something out besides the Epic Yarn port as a break from Star Allies while giving them time to plan out their next move.

Last edited:

Eric2625

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anybody has said this but on kumazaki shinyas instagram he putted in his bio hes "not posting secret codes".

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I have a weird feeling we're all gonna get blindsided like the VGA's again. Whether this means Geno, a non Square character or *SHIVERS* no character at all; I feel like it won't be who we are expecting.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Where you came up with that? If anything other than Smash, he should return to his own franchise before appearing again in another Mario spin off title..
Althought that also works in the same way (for example in Tropical Freeze, he could still be a rival in challenge event even if he's not the main antagonist for that time), I only focus on that Mario series offers more chances for a playable KingKRool if we simply count its amount of titles by year.

Especially after all the piranha plant super Mario rpg references i think it's hints towards Geno in smash. .
I don't see that is a good thing for Geno support, because this theory may also be used to say that Nintendo already brought in plant piranha to memorize SMRPG. Probably Geno fans wouldn't like to agree with that.

Sure, still not getting why no Geno and Mallow in Sport Mix.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't know if anybody has said this but on kumazaki shinyas instagram he putted in his bio hes "not posting secret codes".
Yeah, as I thought, the dude's just posting personal stuff. It has no correlation to Smash whatsoever. I'm pretty sure we're still getting Erdrick, but this as evidence? That ain't it, mate.

D

Deleted member

I have a weird feeling we're all gonna get blindsided like the VGA's again. Whether this means Geno, a non Square character or *SHIVERS* no character at all; I feel like it won't be who we are expecting.
It does feel like the Grinch leak all over again doesn't it? It feels worse now because we don't even have Vergeben telling us how wrong we are lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It does feel like the Grinch leak all over again doesn't it? It feels worse now because we don't even have Vergeben telling us how wrong we are lol.
At least he's going to be the one wearing a dunce cap, should it happen.

Also, text leaks would be real hard to believe after that…

I can see that happen, though I wouldn't go as far as saying that we'd get nothing, we lose, good day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At least he's going to be the one wearing a dunce cap, should it happen.

Also, text leaks would be real hard to believe after that...
Well it's more like Vergeben is abstaining from making claims on this one. All he really knows and actually claims is that a Square Enix rep out of the listed seven is happening.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well it's more like Vergeben is abstaining from making claims on this one. All he really knows and actually claims is that a Square Enix rep out of the listed seven is happening.
Actually, after deliberation in the Enix thread and clarification from Polar and Zenyth, I think Vergeben is all in on Erdrick now.

D

Deleted member

Actually, after deliberation in the Enix thread and clarification from Polar and Zenyth, I think Vergeben is all in on Erdrick now.
Vergeben probably has the same idea out of all of us. There's so much going for Erdrick to where it's hard to say you don't at least expect him. He never heard a solid fact about Erdrick coming to Smash, though. That's what ultimately makes him abstain from even making a decisive claim. Just because he has personal opinions on the matter doesn't mean his leaker credibility should be scrutinized over what evidence he was unable to uncover. It's exactly why he's trying to be cautious with his wording. You can't just say Erdrick is in when you have no proof from your sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Vergeben probably has the same idea out of all of us. There's so much going for Erdrick to where it's hard to say you don't at least expect him. He never heard a solid fact about Erdrick coming to Smash, though. That's what ultimately makes him abstain from even making a decisive claim. Just because he has personal opinions on the matter doesn't mean his leaker credibility should be scrutinized over what evidence he was unable to uncover. It's exactly why he's trying to be cautious with his wording. You can't just say Erdrick is in when you have no proof from your sources.
For all we know, the SE character could be Space Invader, and he would still be technically correct about there being a SE character. So it's a safe bet.

It's just too bad we can't directly blame the sources he contacts with, since they're the most likely to be in the wrong. At least half the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For all we know, the SE character could be Space Invader, and he would still be technically correct about there being a SE character. So it's a safe bet.

It's just too bad we can't blame the sources he contacts with, since they're the most likely to be in the wrong. At least half the time.
Holy **** I want Space Invaders in Smash Bros now. Especially if they take from the N64/PS1 game.

But I think it helps that the only Square characters being reported are the Seven Square reps in the Square Enix thread. He seems to back that list if nothing else.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It's just too bad we can't directly blame the sources he contacts with, since they're the most likely to be in the wrong. At least half the time.
...I'd love to see them as spirits or AT's, really. How would they work as actual fighters, though? I'm curious.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...I'd love to see them as spirits or AT's, really. How would they work as actual fighters, though? I'm curious.
They can use their arms (tentacles?) to grab, the destructible barriers can be used to block attacks and that UFO could be a handy summon. Plus the various spin-offs can provide stuff for them to use, I'm sure.

Really though, I'd like to see Taito stuff actually get used, it's not fair you have to get past SE first.

D

Deleted member

My knowledge of Space Invaders only really extends to the classic arcade game and Space Invaders 64. The fighter would be a ship. Don't ask me how it would look like. Just a space ship. Maybe like the ship on the bottom of this picture.

In Space Invaders 64, you're given a power meter. If you shoot four of the same enemies, you get a special shot specific to that enemy. It could be a shot that penetrates through all enemies, 5 homing missiles, a laser beam, etc. If Space Invaders ever got into Smash, I would imagine they would take from gimmicks like this for their special moves. Their style would be zoning, moreso than Megaman probably, and maybe the aliens themselves can be incorporated into its moveset. Like those bonus point motherships or have aliens be something like the wild gunman from Duck Hunt's moveset. I would also imagine a barrier to protect from damage or to block off incoming fighters would be cool. Like imagine Alolan Exeggutor incorporated into an actual moveset but toned down. It's possible, and I would love it to Hell and back if the series was represented. It's one of the most classic arcade games I can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Something about the historical irony of Pac-Man fighting a Space Invader makes me really wanna see that happen now.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Something about the historical irony of Pac-Man fighting a Space Invader makes me really wanna see that happen now.
Add in Mario or DK and we have a match of the classic's! Heck, maybe we could get Konami to put in Frogger as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom