• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanjoBoi

Smash Rookie
>goes to another character's thread to assert that his fanbase is better because they don't go to other characters' threads to complain
Whoops.
Because Geno fans literally invade every board. When was the last time you heard bull**** theories on how he's gonna playable? And fine just ignore the rest of my response because you're delusional and pick your arguments
And I'm not even pushing an agenda. I'm literally saying he's deconfirmed and we accept that

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because Geno fans literally invade every board. When was the last time you heard bull**** theories on how he's gonna playable? And fine just ignore the rest of my response because you're delusional and pick your arguments
And I'm not even pushing an agenda. I'm literally saying he's deconfirmed and we accept that
Which isn't helpful here since it's still trying to make yourselves sound better than Geno fans. There's no point to it otherwise. It's creating a war. No need to do so, really.

That said, please spell out swear words as normal. We have autocensors. And the Mod message is the only one in bold, to be clear.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
He's not a promo pick either(which is actually what being a shill pick is anyway. It's the same definition. That was why I replied, and it was also late at night, so it's easy to misread). There's nothing to promote. The series is worldwide. His game is already out. Also, I'm saying the straight facts here. I apologize if they come off a bit heavy. The series never lacked mainstream exposure either. It's kind of hard to when it's the biggest rpg franchise in gaming history in itself. FF didn't influence the world nearly as much.

Uh, yes, it's still huge. You aren't the most iconic RPG series of the world and not huge as a series. It also speaks more on how it's not as popular as FF is overseas... which is still what I said. The issues in the article show more that they have a hard time keeping the series fresh, which is an issue FF and DQ both had in different ways.

It'll take me forever to find too, since again, I got no time right now.

It does make it not true. Because the gaming legacy is the reason for Sakurai and Nintendo to care. SE aren't the one making the choice to do anything but say yes to adding the character. They didn't choose the DLC, Nintendo and Sakurai did. SE is pretty irrelevant in that particular case. Best they may be doing is wanting it pushed to DLC to make more money, but that's kind of it. It wouldn't matter if it was base or DLC, cause it would still be very popular and still content chosen due to its gaming legacy, which is the general reason 3rd parties are even chosen(Bayonetta and Snake are the only two who weren't chosen due to that anyway. Rest having gaming legacy as part of it. Snake was a request from a friend and Bayonetta was no icon, but we can't confirm exactly how she got chosen either).

There's a difference between SE agreeing cause they think it'll help and why Erdrick was chosen(by a company and person who doesn't own the character nor are even choosing DLC for promotional reasons that can be remotely proven at this time. Especially not PP. And last time it was just Corrin at best, and he barely made it. Sakurai wasn't going to even add him till his team convinced him the moveset was most important). Sakurai's hardly a fan of promotional picks and actually likes choosing characters on their own merits and for the fans. And it shows.

Sorry man, you're obviously very passionate about DQ, but

>" There's nothing to promote. The series is worldwide."
>"The series never lacked mainstream exposure either. It's kind of hard to when it's the biggest rpg franchise in gaming history in itself. FF didn't influence the world nearly as much."
>"You aren't the most iconic RPG series of the world and not huge as a series."

This is a mix of your own opinions about DQ as a series and straight up false statements. It does lack mainstream exposure in most of the world. It's not nearly as influential or revered on a worldwide scale as FF. It's not the biggest RPG franchise in all of history itself.

>"SE aren't the one making the choice to do anything but say yes to adding the character. They didn't choose the DLC, Nintendo and Sakurai did. SE is pretty irrelevant in that particular case."
>why Erdrick was chosen(by a company and person who doesn't own the character nor are even choosing DLC for promotional reasons that can be remotely proven at this time.

You have no proof of this.

>" It wouldn't matter if it was base or DLC, cause it would still be very popular and still content chosen due to its gaming legacy"

That's a big claim. We'll see how popular it is worldwide when it's announced and people realize they're not getting Sora.

D

Deleted member

I've accepted a Dragon Quest character getting in. I thought this wasn't possible but I guess ol' Ninty made it happen. Guess that's adding another to the "We made the impossible possible" thing from E3. haha.

But this doesn't mean I'm giving up on Geno. I still have hope for him, but I'm really just hoping that either he comes as miscellaneous DLC or his Mii costume comes back. The Mii costume is all I really want at this point.

BanjoBoi

Smash Rookie
Which isn't helpful here since it's still trying to make yourselves sound better than Geno fans. There's no point to it otherwise. It's creating a war. No need to do so, really.

That said, please spell out swear words as normal. We have autocensors. And the Mod message is the only one in bold, to be clear.
Ok fine. Im sorry for claiming that and take isaac out of my argument then . Before erdrick was basically confirmed, everyone came to the consensus that we were only getting 1 square rep. Now that he's confirmed everyone is saying theres gonna be two. It makes no sense to have two reps from a company who
1. Are very hard to work with
2. Are only pushing DQ Because it hadn't done well + legacy in Japan
3. And they actively haven't used Geno outside of smash and even then, he's had 2 legit chances to be playable and still hasn't happened.
4.Would go with more current series that be worth pushing like kingdom hearts, nier, etc
5. And as of right now, we only have 3 more spots, why would it go to another! Square rep.?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sorry man, you're obviously very passionate about DQ, but

>" There's nothing to promote. The series is worldwide."
>"The series never lacked mainstream exposure either. It's kind of hard to when it's the biggest rpg franchise in gaming history in itself. FF didn't influence the world nearly as much."
>"You aren't the most iconic RPG series of the world and not huge as a series."

This is a mix of your own opinions about DQ as a series and straight up false statements. It does lack mainstream exposure in most of the world. It's not nearly as influential or revered on a worldwide scale as FF. It's not the biggest RPG franchise in all of history itself.
It's known worldwide though. It was the first NES RPG and first video game rpg. It's just that certain games are known way more than others. It's extremely recognizable, though as I said before, it is not as popular as FF in comparison. And it's actually a hard fact it's the most influential rpg series. It literally is the reason we have games besides DQ, due to a major impact it has. I'll find more data as soon as I can. Again, I have to go to work(and I made it pretty clear I needed time to gather more data. I don't know why you're trying to make me gather it so fast when I can't do the impossible).

>"SE aren't the one making the choice to do anything but say yes to adding the character. They didn't choose the DLC, Nintendo and Sakurai did. SE is pretty irrelevant in that particular case."
>why Erdrick was chosen(by a company and person who doesn't own the character nor are even choosing DLC for promotional reasons that can be remotely proven at this time.

You have no proof of this.
Nintendo chose all the DLC this time around. So yes, yes I do. SE didn't choose anything but to influence how it should be represented. Which makes sense, as it's their IP.

>" It wouldn't matter if it was base or DLC, cause it would still be very popular and still content chosen due to its gaming legacy"

That's a big claim. We'll see how popular it is worldwide when it's announced and people realize they're not getting Sora.
And Kingdom Hearts has nowhere the same gaming legacy as DQ. Won't stop DQ still from being popular worldwide. So we didn't get Sora? Okay. We still got the most influential RPG of all time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ok fine. Im sorry for claiming that and take isaac out of my argument then . Before erdrick was basically confirmed, everyone came to the consensus that we were only getting 1 square rep. Now that he's confirmed everyone is saying theres gonna be two. It makes no sense to have two reps from a company who
1. Are very hard to work with
2. Are only pushing DQ Because it hadn't done well + legacy in Japan
3. And they actively haven't used Geno outside of smash and even then, he's had 2 legit chances to be playable and still hasn't happened.
4.Would go with more current series that be worth pushing like kingdom hearts, nier, etc
5. And as of right now, we only have 3 more spots, why would it go to another! Square rep.?
No one is saying it's absolutely going to happen but the only thing that says it won't happen is fan made rules. Ridley, Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, and K. Rool were all largely considered never-evers before their reveals, Hell, Sakurai at length shot down the first three in interviews in the past. Joker and Erdrick were considered near impossible too and this is literally the first time in DQ's 32 year history that it's been liscensed out to another gaming company. Before this game, third party franchises getting multiple reps was considered impossible and in Smash 4 it was considered impossible for third parties to get multiple IPs. This is also the franchise that gave us Snake, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta FFS, characters that had no business or chance of ever being in Smash according to galaxy brain fans. Smash shatters fan expectations all the time. If being pragmatic is the issue I don't see how Geno is any less pragmatic than a lot of the remaining popular picks especially when Sakurai has singled out him out in the past in a positive way.

I don't really get this screaming at cinders approach anyways. "We're a little optimistic." "OMFG, the DELUSION is out of control! Let's get some lithium in here, STAT!!!" I've been griping about it for months. Most people here are now saying Geno's RIP and we're STILL getting scolded for even entertaining the idea of a chance despite no hard confirmation yet. There's no Mii costume. No assist trophy. No public statements. Nothing aside from the fan conjecture that Erdrick and Geno were directly competing and Erdrick = No Geno despite Erdrick's IP having three other owners aside from Square that have much more say and power in the decision.

It's like people are pissed that the fanbase hasn't totally folded and anything outside of pure cynicism is completely unacceptable. When I had my depressive episode a few weeks ago, a lot of people were practically applauding it and, taking a step back, I'm seeing how genuinely ****ed up that is. Me being bitter and depressed was somehow more acceptable than being mildly optimistic and I don't understand that mentality. As someone who has been coming here for more than a decade, speculation just gets more and more hard-nosed with each cycle despite Sakurai upending the table in bigger and bolder ways with each game. Yeah, maybe Brawl's "anything is possible" mentality was naive but we also thought more than 50 characters was impossible at the time too and 2008 me's mind would have melted knowing the series would get a minimum of 12 third party characters by 2020.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Here's the problem.... they have tried MULTIPLE times to sell DQ in the west and none have worked. Im pretty sure adding a literal Who to smash won't help either.
I'm sorry. But part of the benefit of characters joining Smash is that they greatly help premote the franchise in which the characters came from. To say adding Erdrick wouldn't help Dragon Quest at all is a completely false statement.

I've seen plenty of people after Simon and Richter were announced stating that they wanted to try Castlevania games. Same thing when Joker got announced. All of sudden, many people wanted to try out Persona. Also just quickly remember that many people credit Smash for helping Fire Emblem here in the west due to there inclusion in Melee.

And personally, while I can't speak for everyone, I went out and tried Street Fighter when they announced Ken, wanted to get into Final Fantasy specifically VII after trying out Cloud in Ultimate for the first time, and admittedly I actually went out and bought the Erdrick trilogy on my phone after being more interested in his series due to the discussion around him. Smash has indeed gotten me interested in other franchises that previously I had no interest in.

Will adding Dragon Quest in Smash make the franchise a cultural phenomenon here in the west like in Japan? Likely not. But you can bet that sales figures for the franchise will likely get a boost if Erdrick gets in.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If people are pissed about Erdrick you have to separate it from Geno's perceived chances. They're not related and the evidence is piling up that it was never an either/or situation. Erdrick is practically on another ****ing planet when it comes to negotiations. Dragon Quest is kind of the Holy Grail of video game liscensing. Geno would have been a completely separate conversation altogether if it ever happened. It's not a **** or ass situation where Sakurai was white knuckled and covered in beads of sweat the size of M&Ms. It was likely a completely separate pursuit given the complexity of DQ's liscensing.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Just wanted to add that I am also hopeful that Geno can still make it into the first wave of DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if Square got two DLC reps, however unlikely as that may be.

If not, then there is always the next smash. Many of you are pretty young, so you might end up playing as Geno soon enough. It took nearly 10 years to get Diddy, but I am also grateful for the last 10 years I got to play as Diddy competetively throughout my 20s. Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Isaac, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Waluigi, and others will all have their invites eventually.
But will Geno ever be in the definitive Smash game with every character and almost every stage? I don't think so. Even if we got Geno in as a miracle; there's a very likely chance that he won't be able to fight over half the roster cause Sakurai ****ing Thanos'd them

D

Deleted member

But will Geno ever be in the definitive Smash game with every character and almost every stage? I don't think so. Even if we got Geno in as a miracle; there's a very likely chance that he won't be able to fight over half the roster cause Sakurai ****ing Thanos'd them
I like how fans said that Ridley and K Rool would never be playable and they aren't.

Eddy in does not equal Geno out. There is still a chance for him to make it in the first or second wave of DLC

NB96

Smash Rookie
How predictable was it that this thread would go into complete meltdown once the next big Erdrick leak came out

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
If people are pissed about Erdrick you have to separate it from Geno's perceived chances. They're not related and the evidence is piling up that it was never an either/or situation. Erdrick is practically on another ****ing planet when it comes to negotiations. Dragon Quest is kind of the Holy Grail of video game liscensing. Geno would have been a completely separate conversation altogether if it ever happened. It's not a **** or *** situation where Sakurai was white knuckled and covered in beads of sweat the size of M&Ms. It was likely a completely separate pursuit given the complexity of DQ's liscensing.

You seem to be the voice i reason because i agree alot with what you say. It isn't over till there is a HARD confirmation - nothing based on leaks and what not. I support the new thread Operation StarFall because i do want a new SMRPG game. However to completely discount Geno ummm not yet. For all we know the term "brave" was meant to throw people off. Did anyone consider that ? Wouldn't be surprised if that was honestly the case. But im riding this Geno train till it crashes and burn or even better soars in the skies. DLC is not over people with the possibility of wave 2 as well. We got some time before we can bring a closure to all this. ( Just my thoughts on the whole thing) Heres to Geno being in Smash Ultimate!!:starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:

Wow. What a goddamn ****fest. Holy ****. OF COURSE it was ****ing Erdrick. Of course it ****ing was. Apparently, waiting 10 ****ing years, passionately supporting your favorite characters doesn't mean jack ****ing ****. I've supported him for at least 10 years, long before I ever made a Smashboards account. And of course, not only does he not make it in in for the third ****ing time, but they ALSO go out of their ****ing way for a character with infinetly more legal issues than Geno ever did with far less constant request to be in Smash. Talk about throwing **** in my face. Talk about a tone-deaf move. **** this game, **** NoJ, and most of all, **** SE. I'm glad I didn't waste 85 dollars on this piece of ****. "Ultimate Smash Game," my ass.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that officially means everyone I wanted for this game is deconfirmed.

EDIT 2: Wow, what a disgraceful post. A while later, I am embarrased that I typed these words and considered them acceptable for publishing. My thoughts on Erdrick (or should I say, Hero) have long since changed for the better, and I hold no more ill will towards him. I need to remember this is just a ****ing game and I shouldn't get worked up like this. Apologies to everybody who had to witness me at my lowest. And apologies to any DQ fans who saw this ****ty post.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
There was no voices like yours before Starfall either. And no one there seems to share your sentiment in the first place.
I'm saying that if everyone didn't evacuate the thread for another project; I wouldn't be the first voice you would see in the thread. You can't blame ME for the inactivity in this thread.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I see this is a bad time.

I'm just going to point out how I see more hate against Geno fans than others and it's annoying, because all the fans are generalized as "lol you all suck, delusional no-lives let me tell you why [insert other "irrelevant" character here] has a near-100% chance of getting in."

Also, Dragon Quest seems cool so Erdrick interests me, although Slime would've interested me more tbh (and Geno most of all the SE characters).

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Wow. What a goddamn ****fest. Holy ****. OF COURSE it was ****ing Edrick. Of course it ****ing was. Apparently, waiting 10 ****ing years, passionately supporting your favorite characters doesn't mean jack ****ing ****. I've supported him for at least 10 years, long before I ever made a Smashboards account. And of course, not only does he not make it in in for the third ****ing time, but they ALSO go out of their ****ing way for a character with infinetly more legal issues than Geno ever did with far less constant request to be in Smash. Talk about throwing **** in my face. **** this game, **** NoJ, and most of all, **** SE. I'm glad I didn't waste 85 dollars on this piece of ****.
Chill. I don't personally want Erdrick that much but I can recognise the legacy Dragon Quest has on the industry. Nintendo are not ****ting on you, in fact Squenix's top two franchises are represented now, so I reckon Geno is the most likely for next slot.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Chill. I don't personally want Erdrick that much but I can recognise the legacy Dragon Quest has on the industry. Nintendo are not ****ting on you, in fact Squenix's top two franchises are represented now, so I reckon Geno is the most likely for next slot.
If we're getting ANY Square character next; it's gonna be Sora, let's be real.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Debatable with how much Disney want to play ball, and if more DLC is focused on fan requests, because Geno is more requested, I'd say.
SE is money based, not request based. Otherwise Geno probably would have gotten in before Cloud.

Geno probably wouldn't even get in after Sora tbh. They'd double dip with Sephriroth before they'd consider revisiting Geno....

#Geno4FifthSquareRep

Nicnac

Smash Ace
SE is money based, not request based. Otherwise Geno probably would have gotten in before Cloud.
Sakurai picked Cloud. Not Squenix. SE goes along with Nintendo's requests, albeit stingily.

Geno probably wouldn't even get in after Sora tbh. They'd double dip with Sephriroth before they'd consider revisiting Geno....

#Geno4FifthSquareRep
Please don't double post. Sakurai would have to choose Sep/Sora over Geno (Which I think is unlikely considering Sakurai likes Geno), and FF7's composer is currently stepping away to deal with health issues, so music would be hell on earth. Sora is more likely than Sep, but Squenix (who you make out to be so stingy and evil) have to play ball with not only Nintendo and Sakurai, but the House of Mouse. This is why I think Geno might be a third Square rep.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Sakurai picked Cloud. Not Squenix. SE goes along with Nintendo's requests, albeit stingily.
And it's confirmed by the man himself that he did this during the polling because he saw how much Cloud was requested in the vote. The most requested FF character at that. Meanwhile, we have no idea how well Geno actually did in comparison to the competition.

link2702

Smash Champion
Umm....like I said before where’s this evidence that Erdrick is somehow confirmed?

Seriously people no one knows the dlc, quit having a meltdown.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
NINTENDO PICKED ERDRICK. NOT SQUARE ENIX. SQUARE ENIX ARE SIMPLY STINGY WITH MUSIC, NOT THEIR CHARACTERS.
How do we know they aren't stingy with characters? We only have one character to pull from for reference. That's like if we decided that SEGA only wanted to push cartoony characters with the information we knew back in the Brawl day's. There's insufficient data to form that conclusion.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
How do we know they aren't stingy with characters? We only have one character to pull from for reference. That's like if we decided that SEGA only wanted to push cartoony characters with the information we knew back in the Brawl day's. There's insufficient data to form that conclusion.
Nintendo have never been turned down in getting a character. You also have no evidence to claim they are stingy with characters. Music, sure, but not characters. Stop clutching at straws.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Umm....like I said before where’s this evidence that Erdrick is somehow confirmed?

Seriously people no one knows the dlc, quit having a meltdown.
Not confirmed 100%. But looking pretty likely. A ton of people have heard his name. Including notably Tansut who seemed to know about Cloud back in Smash 4. And now there's info in the data that supports the Erdrick in Smash claim.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't really get this screaming at cinders approach anyways. "We're a little optimistic." "OMFG, the DELUSION is out of control! Let's get some lithium in here, STAT!!!" I've been griping about it for months. Most people here are now saying Geno's RIP and we're STILL getting scolded for even entertaining the idea of a chance despite no hard confirmation yet. There's no Mii costume. No assist trophy. No public statements. Nothing aside from the fan conjecture that Erdrick and Geno were directly competing and Erdrick = No Geno despite Erdrick's IP having three other owners aside from Square that have much more say and power in the decision.
We do have a spirit of Geno tho, one of the very select few to be gotten from Square by the way.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Nintendo have never been turned down in getting a character. You also have no evidence to claim they are stingy with characters. Music, sure, but not characters. Stop clutching at straws.
Then what about the times that the statement has been contradicted? It's PR talk. What would benefit Nintendo saying "Yeah, there were some cool character we weren't able to get. Sorryz."

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Then what about the times that the statement has been contradicted? It's PR talk. What would benefit Nintendo saying "Yeah, there were some cool character we weren't able to get. Sorryz."
So now you're stooping to the idea that Nintendo blatantly lied when they really have no reason to? Good grief.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
So now you're stooping to the idea that Nintendo blatantly lied when they really have no reason to? Good grief.
DON'T YOU SEE, YOU FOOL?! THE COMPANIES ARE PUSHING FOR THEIR SHILL PICK TO DISCREDIT US GENO FANS. IT IS A CONSPIRACY THE LIKES OF MKULTRA CANNOT HOPE TO ATTAIN. #FREEGENO /s

What reason did they have to tell the truth either? Telling people that they weren't able to get a character people really wanted would be a REALLY bad move.
Proof of this would help, amigo.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
They didn't have to say that ya know. They easily could've said nothing instead. No one was asking "so have you ever been denied a character?". It was more so Reggie kinda just bringing up a fun fact. I have no reason to believe that they'd blatantly just lie about it for the lolz. It doesn't benefit them at all if they lied.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Except you don’t have any real proof showing Nintendo has been turned down or a third party has been turned down.

Things not working out does not equal a character being turned down. Sakurai saying he wanted to include him since Brawl doesn’t mean Geno has been denied either, he’s mentioned lots of characters and we have no idea if they got even past an initial conception phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom