• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Erdrick is not.
Erdrick. The guy who's pretty much the Cloud of DQ, who's story is linked into several Dragon Quest games which turned out ot be a prequel to it? You're suggesting the star of what's widely the most popular Dragon Quest game and the original game trilogy isn't famous?

I think the flaws speak for themselves with that argument.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Ok seriously where are people getting this **** that Erdrick is 100% absolutely confirmed? He’s not. Honestly the fact that there’s so many throwing in the towel is what is actually disappointing. There’s been no direct, no screenshots, no news of any se employee under the hot seat, nothing. All we have are some leakers that haven’t been 100% right all the time, dealing with a company that time and time again has been known to keep a very tight seal on any potential leaks.

Until Nintendo or square actually reveals something, can y’all quit going into panic mode?

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Erdrick. The guy who's pretty much the Cloud of DQ, who's story is linked into several Dragon Quest games which turned out ot be a prequel to it? You're suggesting the star of what's widely the most popular Dragon Quest game and the original game trilogy isn't famous?

I mean, the guy could be right, it's pretty subjective for us at least, This really made me being interested on japanese pools about which character from DQ is the best, I actually thought it was Eight.
Isn't Erdrick the legendary hero of the whole franchise?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, the guy could be right, it's pretty subjective for us at least, This really made me being interested on japanese pools about which character from DQ is the best, I actually thought it was Eight.
Isn't Erdrick the legendary hero of the whole franchise?
Erdrick is incredibly important to DQ lore from what I've researched, and an icon over in Japan.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe

Yes if we're refering to the west then eddy is a nobody. I understand that DQ's legacy is iconic a game like chrono trigger probably wouldn't exist without it but, far more westerners are likely to recognize crono instead of erdrick.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Erdrick isn't nearly as recognizable as Cloud, but he is tied to tons of DQ games, unlike how Cloud is. They're different series with a different type of lore. He's the most recognizable protagonist, for sure. The thing is, beyond that, he's not as much as like Cloud as he could be. He's not the actual series mascot. That's Slime specifically. He's easily the secondary mascot. Right now, Cloud has become the actual proper mascot of the series. He was more like Erdrick at some point, very important, but wasn't the series' mascot yet. He took over that role from Moogle/Chocobo, the original mascots of the series. Erdrick can't really take that role away from Slime, but he doesn't have to. He's still more than important enough and doesn't need to be the series' mascot to be known.

Now, let's be fair; Erdrick is a literal who to many. There's no denying that. Cloud has a minority who doesn't know who he is in comparison(of course, neither are on the level of characters like Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mario. Slime actually comes really close in iconicness, though. Like, who doesn't even know what a Slime is, not even the DQ one specifically. That's the cultural impact one little monster had. Erdrick didn't actually do that. His descendant in the first game is the one that paved the way for the avatar heroes to come. Erdrick's is just more important to the series' lore, not so much when it comes to helping impact later games. It's two different roles for two major characters. And Slime on a different role, respectively). However, despite being not nearly that recognizable to many, he's still a very major character in gaming and is more than deserving.

The reason why Cloud became the only protagonist in a single FF game to become a proper mascot is because FFVII heavily impacted gaming. Other DQ games too, sure. That much is true. I mean, it's the most influential rpg series in history(not just video games. DQ references are everywhere. "A Wild Monsters Appears!" is even a Yugioh card, which is a Manga series and all first. Obviously Link owes more to Erdrick's descendant, the first hero shown, than any other video game character for influence. There's some apparent thing that he also was influenced by Peter Pan, but I don't remember if that was true or not. It does explain the Fairy stuff, though).

Erdrick, that said, absolutely has become the only protagonist in DQ to become a mascot of the series. He's still behind Slime, of course, but as I noted, that's not a problem at all. Not for Smash, which always represents a series with the first entrance being either the de facto mascot of the series, or a mascot of a game in the series. They're both great.

D

Deleted member

Came into this thread expecting you guys to still pretend Geno has a very good chance and I was right.

It's over, gang. Hopefully we'll get our Geno costume back.
A lot of times you refer to how you assumed that Shadow would be in the base roster whenever someone assumed something. You tell them to never assume something until it is officially set in stone.

Now you are assuming that Erdrick is in without it being officially set in stone.

Don't.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Congrats on 600 pages, Geno thread! Let me address some things that are being brought up:

DQ's got a legacy. It's got a hell of one. Honestly, if Square and Nintendo hadn't had their tiffs, I would have expected to see DQ in Smash far sooner, probably as early on as Melee. Sure, for a lot of the west, Erdrick is a literal who to a lot of people, but this will help get DQ's foot in the door with a lot of the west. It helped Fire Emblem, after all.

Now...

What Luigi The President Luigi The President said is right. I'm 99.99% sure it's Erdrick, which is basically 100% for me. I know full well that a surprise could happen, but let's be real: it isn't. This Square rep for this DLC cycle is not Geno. If you think it still is, then I'm afraid you're going to be let down very harshly.

That being said, we cannot stop fighting. However, as I've repeated ad nauseum, we have to aim our fighting in a different direction. Miscellaneous DLC, a second fighter's pass, and most importantly of all, a revival for SMRPG's characters are things we need to fight for. The one bright side we can get out of Geno likely being leak bait by Square is that they know that we want him. They know that he is a desirable character, and compared to Square's views on him before, that is a step in the right direction.

We've lost the battle, but I'm not giving up on the war. That being said, we have to be realistic. Geno is extremely unlikely for this first pass, if not impossible. We need to aim our swords in another direction now more than ever, or else we might lose the whole war entirely. We can't let our campaigning for Geno die out with this. Rather, we need to only make it stronger.

tl;dr: don't give up fighting, but keep your expectations VERY tempered and put it in your minds that he is NOT this first Square rep. Remember, King K. Rool lost a lot of battles on his way to winning the war. It's just natural with such an uphill battle, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if Geno won't get in this time, that's no reason to give up. Look at the :ultkrool:fans, they were also told their character was impossible, irrelevant, not an anime swordsman, et al, and look where they are now. At least Geno is in a big series, and not some little-known game.

Abandoning hopes now would just prove to the masses that you were not that dedicated to begin with. Losing one battle isn't losing the entire war, unless your base or leader is lost.

And support more than one character, if possible.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A lot of times you refer to how you assumed that Shadow would be in the base roster whenever someone assumed something. You tell them to never assume something until it is officially set in stone.

Now you are assuming that Erdrick is in without it being officially set in stone.

Don't.
Shadow was never leaked by anyone reliable, is the thing.
It was a blind belief.

When you got PolarPanda, Xenother, and now Tansut all saying it's probably Erdrick? Then I'm gonna assume. Because quite frankly I refuse to take this mental stress and toll anymore. It's over, at least in my opinion.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Even if Geno won't get in this time, that's no reason to give up. Look at the :ultkrool:fans, they were also told their character was impossible, irrelevant, not an anime swordsman, et al, and look where they are now. At least Geno is in a big series, and not some little-known game.

Abandoning hopes now would just prove to the masses that you were not that dedicated to begin with.
Don't tell me I wasn't dedicated. I was the voice for Geno in the Squenix thread, hell, I've been his voice in the discussion thread for months though I've been less active there.
I'm giving up hope on Geno being our Squenix rep for this Fighter's Pack. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop supporting him after Erdrick is revealed. It just means that I'm no longer going to tear my hair out every day over if he's in or not.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

As a DQ fan I can confidently say yeah, Erdrick isn’t famous. Not his fault, the only famous DQ character is Slime.

(In the West)

D

Deleted member

It can be over for you, but don't try to drag the whole group down.
This. From what we have seen, anything can happen, and it just shows that we will all have different opinions on a character's likeliness.

Shadow was never leaked by anyone reliable, is the thing.
It was a blind belief.

When you got PolarPanda, Xenother, and now Tansut all saying it's probably Erdrick? Then I'm gonna assume. Because quite frankly I refuse to take this mental stress and toll anymore. It's over, at least in my opinion.
Then that's your opinion. I am not giving up. I'm staying on this train until the end.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This. From what we have seen, anything can happen, and it just shows that we will all have different opinions on a character's likeliness.

Then that's your opinion. I am not giving up. I'm staying on this train until the end.
I won't make you then, and it's good that you're keeping faith Zack, but I just can't ATM.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel the leaks are extremely reliable enough for me to believe Erdrick is pretty much our SE rep(unless another one exists) but definitely our DQ rep.

Of course it can be wrong. But I highly doubt it is. While it's not who I wanted, I cannot pretend the choice is bad. Maybe I can have a reason to play a DQ beyond the first two games and the original type of Monsters games~

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Congrats on 600 pages and a happy new year to everyone!

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I am not giving up. I'm staying on this train until the end.
In defend of LTP, I think everyone is here is in the train, but not so many in the first DLC wave.

I'm pretty confident that Erdrick is in, and I hope our beloved Geno is also, as an extra, a separated DLC, a Wave 2 promotional, who knows :D

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Luigi The President Luigi The President and, in fact, anyone else here that might feel pessimistic about Geno:

At least know that the fans will always keep him alive. Here is a darling example that was just posted by バッタ on pixiv just a little while ago. (Like, look at him. Look at that angel's smile. It is perfect.)

Happy New Year, all. <3

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, dreading over the inevitable is unhealthy. Assuming this situation doesn't turn out to be Joker 2.0.

For the general public, they still won't see it coming, given that DQ hasn't got much of a public presence in the West. And it would still be someone that is from a traditional JRPG series, something that still has no playable character in Smash.
And the guy has a damn shield, Zelda shouldn't be the only series to have that in here. :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

We really just need to know if SMRPG has been bought, or is still trapped in SE's clutches.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Luigi The President Luigi The President and, in fact, anyone else here that might feel pessimistic about Geno:

At least know that the fans will always keep him alive. Here is a darling example that was just posted by バッタ on pixiv just a little while ago. (Like, look at him. Look at that angel's smile. It is perfect.)

Happy New Year, all. <3
wwwwwwwwwwwwww c u t e n e s s o v e r d r i v e
happy new year to you too Ovaltine <3

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well guys, next week (10th or 11th as earliest) might be a good time to be getting our Nintendo January Direct, as it has been for years (except for like… one year that it didn't happen). Crossing fingers here the SE character madness ends with a reveal there, lol

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If Edrick get's in; We'll make sure Square never hear's the end of it. They're all about the money; so let's hit them where they hurt.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Of course it can be wrong. But I highly doubt it is. While it's not who I wanted, I cannot pretend the choice is bad. Maybe I can have a reason to play a DQ beyond the first two games and the original type of Monsters games~
Wait, really, still the first two NES ones? First two games are pretty rudimentary, so it only gets better from there.

Oh, and make sure you have enough mental preparation if you get to VII, that one's the longest.

Well guys, next week (10th or 11th as earliest) might be a good time to be getting our Nintendo January Direct, as it has been for years (except for like… one year that it didn't happen). Crossing fingers here the SE character madness ends with a reveal there, lol
Say, didn't Fatmanonice Fatmanonice or someone else imply there would be a leak for the next Direct by the end of this week?

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Happy 600!

Here's the basic gist of the past two pages, no need to go and reread.

Ok seriously where are people getting this **** that Erdrick is 100% absolutely confirmed? He’s not. Honestly the fact that there’s so many throwing in the towel is what is actually disappointing. There’s been no direct, no screenshots, no news of any se employee under the hot seat, nothing. All we have are some leakers that haven’t been 100% right all the time, dealing with a company that time and time again has been known to keep a very tight seal on any potential leaks.

Until Nintendo or square actually reveals something, can y’all quit going into panic mode?

Don't.

Someone said:
Something something, fan-made rule, one third party rep per company

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, really, still the first two NES ones? First two games are pretty rudimentary, so it only gets better from there.

Oh, and make sure you have enough mental preparation if you get to VII, that one's the longest.
And the Gameboy remakes of them. Honestly, I loved them due to their classic gameplay. What's the first DQ game to even start doing the roaming monster thing? Do any of them gut the regular turn-based system? I vastly care about the gameplay factors here. It's why I like DQ. I might get the other games, but I'm not interested in collecting 'em all for the sake of it. I collect most FF mainline games that aren't MMORPG's(cause they do not feel like the proper gameplay at all).

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Just doesn't seem right to say in the previous game's direct that he was popular, show it in a splash screen (only one for costumes), then not have him at least in DLC form. It's like saying, yeah he is popular, but we don't care.

Ultimately, it will sting, especially if he really is just link/marth with magic that i'm thinking he will be. But maybe something else will come out of this later on down the road.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Just doesn't seem right to say in the previous game's direct that he was popular, show it in a splash screen (only one for costumes), then not have him at least in DLC form. It's like saying, yeah he is popular, but we don't care.

Ultimately, it will sting, especially if he really is just link/marth with magic that i'm thinking he will be. But maybe something else will come out of this later on down the road.
Like what? I fail to see anything positive that can come out of Erdrick getting into smash. If he get's in; Geno is basically on his death bed.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
A passionate approach won't work on Square. The evidence overwhelmingly points to this.
In the end, attacking Square isn't going to do anything but make them less receptive towards Geno's fanbase, on top of being a ****ty move that is just awful on our parts for a huge variety of reasons. If you don't want to support Erdrick, just say your piece there with your wallet and carry out a positive, passionate campaign with Geno.

Don't act out of line. Period. It's a stupid move.

domriver

Smash Lord
Why is it over ? Because there is a credible leaker saying Erdrick is gonna be the Square Rep?
Im taking all leaks with a grain of salt and just wait for official announcement. VGA people were so certain that the first DLC was going to be SE rep. * looks at verge* We got Joker something not many, or few guessed. Even verge can be incorrect/mistaken or however you want to put it.
If our worst is realized and which it could happen - Im hoping Sakurai can mention or talk about it just a little or comment his thoughts on Geno just to give us closure or something i dont know. All n All we will know the DLC in due time. I also believe we will get a wave 2. This fighter pass/ challenger pack will sell like hot cakes. :D

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
In the end, attacking Square isn't going to do anything but make them less receptive towards Geno's fanbase, on top of being a ****ty move that is just awful on our parts for a huge variety of reasons. If you don't want to support Erdrick, just say your piece there with your wallet and carry out a positive, passionate campaign with Geno.

Don't act out of line. Period. It's a stupid move.
I wish I could; but I already got the fighter pass cause I gave nintendo my good will when they showed the Joker. They betrayed me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Literally nothing has changed. Erdrick has been the front runner for almost a month now based on accounts from virtually all the reliable leakers. We've been over this. Unless it's extreme leakbait, Erdrick was likely for a long time now. No, I don't think it's the inherent end of Geno because there's still three characters that we know nothing about and everything supposedly keeping Geno out is fanmade rules. Only hard decomfirmations are assist trophies, Mii costumes, or Sakurai outright saying they won't be in. That's it. I thought we were past this and the only thing that's different is yet another credible leaker coming forward to support it. Like I've been saying for weeks now, rip this bandage off and focus on the remaining three and possibly beyond.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom