• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I won't believe him until the Nintendo ninjas hunt him down , and that Square Enix just blew up his house.

Yeah , he leaked Cloud. Like , 2/3 days before the reveal? And now , he's leaking a even harder character to leak months before his reveal? Doesn't that sound... Fishy? Not saying it's Geno , but how did he got this kind of info so early when nobody guessed Joker , who also was third party?

This is not against you , but when something sound disapointing , people will believe it more than what they want sometimes.

If Erdrick get in ... Get ready for the backslash. Also the "lol anime swordman got in before edgy japanese pinocchio" but hey , I'm kinda used to it at this point.

Gosh I still don't know why this hype cycle was so toxic towards newcomers...
It doesn't sound fishy to me because it aligns well with what Polar and Fatman have learned about Erdrick. More evidence is pointing towards Erdrick having been planned for the base game, but moved to DLC because, well, Square is Square. That's also why Fatman particularly believes he doesn't affect Geno's chances as severely as it might seem because he was meant to be in the base game itself, whereas DLC is a totally different beast.

If there is a character to be leaked months before his reveal, it would be one that was meant for base game and delegated to DLC, therefore Erdrick.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I won't believe this Cloud leaker until he gets btfo like Mystic did.

No one knows any of the dlc but somehow EVERYONE knows the Square Enix character. A company known for being incredibly secretive.

I think a lot of these people are getting bambozled.

Edit: I highly doubt Erdrick was planned for base, someone was, but a character like Erdrick screams DLC character only to me due to all the company's that own him.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I also still highly recommend that we fight for a SMRPG revival as a whole. It might seem impossible, but really, we've been gunning for the impossible for years. I see nothing wasteful out of campaigning for a return to form outside of Smash. Square's attitude may seem very daunting, I agree, but it never hurts to try. I'm ready to fight.
Agreed. I think Geno is in the same place as Isaac and Banjo. I feel like with Smash Ultimate, it's pretty clear that even "Retro" characters need to have ongoing, current, successful series. Metroid (:ultridley:) is getting a new game, and the DK series (:ultkrool:) isn't going anywhere. I think Geno's best shot was back in Brawl unfortunately because SMRPG was only 10 years old at the time and both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi were still quite popular series. With the current status of Mario RPG, Golden Sun, and Banjo & Kazooie, I think the powers that be see Spirits, Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and other cameos as enough representation.

It's clear that Nintendo and Sakurai know how popular Geno and SMRPG are. Even though we haven't succeeded (yet) with Geno as a newcomer, the foundation is already laid. They know we want him. Beyond Smash Bros., the ultimate goal is a full SMRPG HD remake or direct sequel. If that's what we need to see Geno in Smash, sign me up.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Agreed. I think Geno is in the same place as Isaac and Banjo. I feel like with Smash Ultimate, it's pretty clear that even "Retro" characters need to have ongoing, current, successful series.
That would make perfect sense and would be an acceptable excuse if not for
ahem...
:icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This thread died down. Man it was so active before.
Hopes have dropped low all across the board, and really, I can't blame anyone for bowing out. Geno had such high chances that got pretty brutally destroyed. That being said, I don't think anything is impossible at this point beyond this one Square rep. Nintendo is aware of Geno's popularity, and I think that if we keep fighting, we may see some fruit, whether it's in Smash or not.

Square's really our biggest opponent, I think. I think we have to shift focus on getting them to realize that he's actually profitable and beloved (mostly the former, as we all know that Square loves their money).

owjies

Smash Journeyman
That would make perfect sense and would be an acceptable excuse if not for
ahem...
:icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee::icsmelee:
That's why I specified Smash Ultimate. Ice Climbers are a returning fighter from Melee and Brawl. Like I said, Geno's best shot was most likely Brawl when we know that Sakurai did consider him. Since then, Smash has evolved somewhat and the third party slots have become extremely competitive. If Geno was first party, he most likely would've made Brawl's roster (unless he was cut for reasons other than licensing).

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Hopes have dropped low all across the board, and really, I can't blame anyone for bowing out. Geno had such high chances that got pretty brutally destroyed. That being said, I don't think anything is impossible at this point beyond this one Square rep. Nintendo is aware of Geno's popularity, and I think that if we keep fighting, we may see some fruit, whether it's in Smash or not.

Square's really our biggest opponent, I think. I think we have to shift focus on getting them to realize that he's actually profitable and beloved (mostly the former, as we all know that Square loves their money).
See, the problem is I don't think you guys should give up. People accepting leaks is kind of dumb, like what evidence do these leakers have besides word of mouth?

We can talk all day about how Erdrick is going to be in the game but:
1) Still haven't seen any actual evidence
2) No one from Nintendo has come out and said "Sorry! Erdrick is in the game so Geno won't be"
3) No one from Nintendo has come out and said Erdrick will be joining the roster

Like I seriously cannot believe people use the leaks as the reason to argue Geno will not be in the game, that's just poor reasoning.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
That's why I specified Smash Ultimate. Ice Climbers are a returning fighter from Melee and Brawl. Like I said, Geno's best shot was most likely Brawl when we know that Sakurai did consider him. Since then, Smash has evolved somewhat and the third party slots have become extremely competitive. If Geno was first party, he most likely would've made Brawl's roster (unless he was cut for reasons other than licensing).
Always seems to come back to square. How disappointing.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
See, the problem is I don't think you guys should give up. People accepting leaks is kind of dumb, like what evidence do these leakers have besides word of mouth?

2) No one from Nintendo has come out and said "Sorry! Erdrick is in the game so Geno won't be"
3) No one from Nintendo has come out and said Erdrick will be joining the roster

Like I seriously cannot believe people use the leaks as the reason to argue Geno will not be in the game, that's just poor reasoning.
Precisely. Even though things look bleak, nothing is concrete, and Erdrick could very well mean nothing good or bad for Geno's chances at the end of the day. On top of that, we have more than Smash to fight for, as our end goal is to have a proper revival for him and SMRPG, right? Losing a battle doesn't mean we've lost the whole war.

C'mon, chin up, guys! We've still got a lot that we can do, and if we keep fighting, I don't think anything can stop us! We just have to stay determined and be patient.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Precisely. Even though things look bleak, nothing is concrete, and Erdrick could very well mean nothing good or bad for Geno's chances at the end of the day. On top of that, we have more than Smash to fight for, as our end goal is to have a proper revival for him and SMRPG, right? Losing a battle doesn't mean we've lost the whole war.

C'mon, chin up, guys! We've still got a lot that we can do, and if we keep fighting, I don't think anything can stop us! We just have to stay determined and be patient.
That's the spirit bud! We may be a bit down, but we're not out yet!

Nicnac

Smash Ace

1. We didn't see any proof of Incineroar from Verge, but his perfect record gave him credibility. The same has gone for him leaning towards Erdrick.
2. I agree with this in that either a second pass or more miscellaneous DLC may give Geno another chance, and if that happens we need to unite and push again for the Prodigal Puppet, but currently we're leaning more towards Erdrick.
3. Lots of talk about Erdrick from people that have a proven track record has given rise to his inclusion as a possibility.

I think that Erdrick will be our Square rep for the pass, but I'm holding out hope for a second pass or miscellaneous DLC.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
1. We didn't see any proof of Incineroar from Verge, but his perfect record gave him credibility. The same has gone for him leaning towards Erdrick.
2. I agree with this in that either a second pass or more miscellaneous DLC may give Geno another chance, and if that happens we need to unite and push again for the Prodigal Puppet, but currently we're leaning more towards Erdrick.
3. Lots of talk about Erdrick from people that have a proven track record has given rise to his inclusion as a possibility.

I think that Erdrick will be our Square rep for the pass, but I'm holding out hope for a second pass or miscellaneous DLC.
That really doesn't give people grounds to just confirm Erdrick is coming . There has been plenty of times where some credible user on NeoGaf/ResetEra has gotten something wrong because of the nature of the subject. They might not have bad intentions but to seriously believe that stuff instead of being like "Erdrick might be in the game" and taking it with a grain of salt like people should be people are just accepting it as fact.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
While not related, I wanna wish y'all a happy New Years Eve! It's been pretty great, such as getting to experience my first Smash Ultimate hype cycle, I got to explore rumors and leaks related to Smash Ultimate with everyone, supporting Geno this entire time, and finally getting a Switch! It's been great, and I just wish all the best to all of us this 2019, and that we may see a glimmer of hope for our Starsend Savior!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So...you won't believe a credible leaker......unless he gets something wrong? What even,....
Nah, I think they mean they won't believe Tansut unless someone involved with him gets fired over this.

That being said, I don't think that's a great argument at all, and I definitely don't want to see anyone lose their jobs.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If Erdrick get in ... Get ready for the backslash. Also the "lol anime swordman got in before edgy japanese pinocchio" but hey , I'm kinda used to it at this point.
Please. ANy newcomer is going to have backlash. It's only majorly noticeable and warranted if it's something like Corrin. Someone shoved in for a series with an abundance of reps already in Smash.

Otherwise, any character would've gotten backlash from the vocal minority.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
That really doesn't give people grounds to just confirm Erdrick is coming . There has been plenty of times where some credible user on NeoGaf/ResetEra has gotten something wrong because of the nature of the subject. They might not have bad intentions but to seriously believe that stuff instead of being like "Erdrick might be in the game" and taking it with a grain of salt like people should be people are just accepting it as fact.
Yeah, I agree for the most part. It's important to stay skeptical in general, and I'm going to keep doing that myself through the DLC season. That said, the wide consensus of inside information alongside the upcoming Dragon Quest XIS and Builders releases in 2019 make Erdrick seem most likely at a glance. As we've discussed before, there are a ton of legal hurdles surrounding DQ, and Geno is already a part of the Smash canon as a Mii Costume and Spirit. I'm still hopeful but also keeping expectations low.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Nah, I think they mean they won't believe Tansut unless someone involved with him gets fired over this.

That being said, I don't think that's a great argument at all, and I definitely don't want to see anyone lose their jobs.
Not only that, but that rationale is inane, considering how no one lost their jobs when Tansut leaked Cloud.

Even further on, that doesn't always happen either. It's silly to base the concrete nature of leaks on that, given how the two tend to mutually exclusive at times.

Heck, I'm not even completely sold on this Erdrick business either, but you've got to come up with better counters to a strong case The Anigriffin The Anigriffin .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It doesn't sound fishy to me because it aligns well with what Polar and Fatman have learned about Erdrick. More evidence is pointing towards Erdrick having been planned for the base game, but moved to DLC because, well, Square is Square. That's also why Fatman particularly believes he doesn't affect Geno's chances as severely as it might seem because he was meant to be in the base game itself, whereas DLC is a totally different beast.

If there is a character to be leaked months before his reveal, it would be one that was meant for base game and delegated to DLC, therefore Erdrick.
To think that Final Fantasy is stuck in such a legal hell that spirits for it weren't even planned for DLC...

While most of the heroes aren't old enough to be Erdrick's alts, which ones would fit the most? Ignoring gear setup and such for a moment, the heroes of IV, V (adult version) and VIII seem like fair candidates as recognizable ones.

Yeah. Tansut is treading on thin ice this time. Cloud is one thing, but I don't think Square will take a second leak of this magnitude lying down. DQ is a huge deal in Japan, huger than the head-explodingly popular FF.

Though I admire his bravery.

While not related, I wanna wish y'all a happy New Years Eve! It's been pretty great, such as getting to experience my first Smash Ultimate hype cycle, I got to explore rumors and leaks related to Smash Ultimate with everyone, supporting Geno this entire time, and finally getting a Switch! It's been great, and I just wish all the best to all of us this 2019, and that we may see a glimmer of hope for our Starsend Savior!
Happy year's Eve! Besides Geno wishes, hopefully game announcement wishes will come true. Knock on wood for SM3DW

Not only that, but that rationale is inane, considering how no one lost their jobs when Tansut leaked Cloud.

Even further on, that doesn't always happen either. It's silly to base the concrete nature of leaks on that, given how the two tend to mutually exclusive at times.

Heck, I'm not even completely sold on this Erdrick business either, but you've got to come up with better counters to a strong case The Anigriffin The Anigriffin .
Meanwhile, Hashimoto had to hurriedly delete a tweet he did responding to a Sora fan.

It's weird...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since Eddy probably doesn't do much to Geno's chances, I am still pretty confident in Geno

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Credible leaker doesn't mean they're right all the time or will be right this time. God forbid I be skeptical and not cave to the popular opinion... Sorry if I sound rude but not all of us are going to see eye to eye obviously.

Something doesn't seem right to me. I'm sorry that my personal feelings towards a leak don't line up with the majority. To me DLC is a completely different ball game, and until I see Erdrick revealed I will remain skeptical.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Credible leaker doesn't mean they're right all the time or will be right this time. God forbid I be skeptical and not cave to the popular opinion... Sorry if I sound rude but not all of us are going to see eye to eye obviously.

Something doesn't seem right to me. I'm sorry that my personal feelings towards a leak don't line up with the majority. To me DLC is a completely different ball game, and until I see Erdrick revealed I will remain skeptical.
Well, even Verge eventually slipped.

I'm hoping that :179:-like mentality doesn't spread too far. On the other hand, if the apparent leaked character is so vehemently believed in by the time of the announcement that if they turn out to not be in at all, people will actually be pleasantly surprised for once.

I don't know what I'm supposed to think here. One thing for sure is, I really just want the console and game, so I can focus on that and not be concerned about the forums until something finally happens. As it is right now we're just stumbling around in fog.

And I'm fairly certain I was busy playing Smash 4 shortly before Cloud was announced, so I don't recall checking the forums when he got leaked.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This might sound crazy, but would any of you guys like to make it a goal for us to pass 882 pages so we could pass the Brawl thread twice or pass a 1000 pages before the DLC speculation season is over?

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
What do you mean by "how" he was leaked? As for how close, I don't know how long before, but it was on November 12th before the Direct.
I guess what I mean is did he specifically say Cloud was in? I've heard a few different stories and I want to get my head straight.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Please. ANy newcomer is going to have backlash. It's only majorly noticeable and warranted if it's something like Corrin. Someone shoved in for a series with an abundance of reps already in Smash.

Otherwise, any character would've gotten backlash from the vocal minority.
Iv'e seen someone talk about Erdrick potential moveset in the 7 Square thread , and while the post was pretty well made... I can't help but to feel it's still another swordman with some magic and a shield. It's a mix of things we've already seen before , he has some uniques spells , but I don't feel like he has this unique thing.

And this doesn't help that his design is overdone because of the FE crew. That's why I think he may get significant backslash , especially if he only come with 2 music tracks.

I'll still respect his supporters of course , I'm going to be civil , but I truly think there will be at least a big "who?" factor. Yeah , ironic coming from a Geno supporter , but Erdrick is truly a character that is stuck in Japan.

Xigger

Smash Lord

My thoughts explained perfectly. Everyone's making theories on theories, predictions assuming that other predictions are true, it's no different than when any other leak was taken as fact. I don't see why this shouldn't be treated any different than the Grinch leak (faked) or Hitagi or LoZ (flat-out wrong)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I guess what I mean the was did he specifically say Cloud was in? I've heard a few different stories and I want to get my head straight.
Ah! Okay, he masked the leak as a prediction back then.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...ember-12-over.1138052/page-112#post-185219444
Since this thread is going insanely fast, I might as well make a fun prediction.

To coincide with the December launch of Episode VII, the beloved blonde protagonist Luke Skywalker will be revealed, along with a Bespin stage.

Or something along those lines.

:)
The terms of what he's referring to are obvious of course. Cloud being Luke and Bespin being Midgar. FF has a knack of paying homage to Star Wars.
After this got confirmed, I don't know when, but it was revealed that he knew that stuff to a T due to being an insider. And the rest is history.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...ember-12-over.1138052/page-112#post-185219444
The terms of what he's referring to are obvious of course. Cloud being Luke and Bespin being Midgar. FF has a knack of paying homage to Star Wars.
After this got confirmed, I don't know when, but it was revealed that he knew that stuff to a T due to being an insider. And the rest is history.
Huh... Interesting. Thanks dude.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I really don't like the sound of this new leak. It's all people/block people. Not saying ALL the character choices are bad; but the variety is not all that good. Can't we at least have one cartoony character? (Banjo/Geno/ goddamn sans undertale?)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really don't like the sound of this new leak. It's all people/block people. Not saying ALL the character choices are bad; but the variety is not all that good. Can't we at least have one cartoony character? (Banjo/Geno/ goddamn sans undertale?)
There hasn't been any proof for Steve, he's actually been getting less proof as this cycle went along, and every big event that involved him was a case of the fans crying wolf. Let's not jump to conclusions.

My thoughts explained perfectly. Everyone's making theories on theories, predictions assuming that other predictions are true, it's no different than when any other leak was taken as fact. I don't see why this shouldn't be treated any different than the Grinch leak (faked) or Hitagi or LoZ (flat-out wrong)
Hitagi was especially bad, the majority in the general started thinking with their trousers once they saw Katalina's fanservice swimsuit art. So much for dignity.

Which begs the question, why matter-of-factly claim a game character this time? Is he willing to rely on people assuming that they trust his position?

Also, the killswitch was short, Cloud was revealed on the very day of Tansut's leak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom