• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Literally nothing has changed. Erdrick has been the front runner for almost a month now based on accounts from virtually all the reliable leakers. We've been over this. Unless it's extreme leakbait, Erdrick was likely for a long time now. No, I don't think it's the inherent end of Geno because there's still three characters that we know nothing about and everything supposedly keeping Geno out is fanmade rules. Only hard decomfirmations are assist trophies, Mii costumes, or Sakurai outright saying they won't be in. That's it. I thought we were past this and the only thing that's different is yet another credible leaker coming forward to support it. Like I've been saying for weeks now, rip this bandage off and focus on the remaining three and possibly beyond.
He leaked the whole roster though... and Geno wasn't there

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I wish I could; but I already got the fighter pass cause I gave nintendo my good will when they showed the Joker. They betrayed me.
You need to chill, dude. Nintendo and Sakurai didn't betray you, they selected a business move that makes just as much sense. Can you not see that harassing Square employees will not actually do anything but hinder Geno in the long run?

Also, happy new year, Geno gang! Here's to that one in a million chance!

Last edited:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Like what? I fail to see anything positive that can come out of Erdrick getting into smash. If he get's in; Geno is basically on his death bed.
Oh believe me, I know Geno is essentially done if he doesn't get in. Been trying to get a more positive outlook on the situation, incase he doesn't. Maybe Square wants to try a remake of the game and see how that does before marketing him out. I haven't given up hope yet, things just don't add up with what Nintendo did in the past and what the leakers are saying. But I'm bracing for the potential disappointment. If Eddy does get announced, i'll still be voicing my support for geno

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there's one thing that everyone might agree on, there needs to be news soon. Most here right now are acting like me after I've been told I'm going to have my shots. It'll hurt, sure, but it would be over before you know it.

And the Gameboy remakes of them. Honestly, I loved them due to their classic gameplay. What's the first DQ game to even start doing the roaming monster thing? Do any of them gut the regular turn-based system? I vastly care about the gameplay factors here. It's why I like DQ. I might get the other games, but I'm not interested in collecting 'em all for the sake of it. I collect most FF mainline games that aren't MMORPG's(cause they do not feel like the proper gameplay at all).
As far as I know, generally speaking, Heroes and Builders are pure Action RPGs, though the latter requires that you build stuff to level up.

Apart from that, DQ is as traditional as it gets in the mainline games, it doesn't get radically different like FF did. The only MMO is X, and even then it still hasn't been exported.

Why is it over ? Because there is a credible leaker saying Erdrick is gonna be the Square Rep?
Im taking all leaks with a grain of salt and just wait for official announcement. VGA people were so certain that the first DLC was going to be SE rep. * looks at verge* We got Joker something not many, or few guessed. Even verge can be incorrect/mistaken or however you want to put it.
If our worst is realized and which it could happen - Im hoping Sakurai can mention or talk about it just a little or comment his thoughts on Geno just to give us closure or something i dont know. All n All we will know the DLC in due time. I also believe we will get a wave 2. This fighter pass/ challenger pack will sell like hot cakes. :D
He could tell us if Geno got bought by Nintendo, I don't want SE to sit on SMRPG's characters forever.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As far as I know, generally speaking, Heroes and Builders are pure Action RPGs, though the latter requires that you build stuff to level up.
Builders I want to look into. So far, it's sounding like less of what I want. I already got 3D Dot Game Heroes for a 3D Action Adventure I can create a character in. Heroes doesn't... sound like what I'm looking for. I just want traditional turn-based(battle gauge still actually counts, it's just more action-oriented).. If they're not it, no interest. FF I play very few spin-off alternate format games of. Some I do cause of multiplayer(Chronicles), though. I don't count FF Legend, as that's a Mana game.

Of course, don't take this as some idea I think the games are bad either. DQ is an awesome series. I just don't gain interest in every single game. Too much money to spend too, so I gotta be picky.

As for Geno, playable would be great. But a DLC costume means they still care. At least, that's how I see it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And now the game of telephone starts. :facepalm:

Builders I want to look into. So far, it's sounding like less of what I want. I already got 3D Dot Game Heroes for a 3D Action Adventure I can create a character in. Heroes doesn't... sound like what I'm looking for. I just want traditional turn-based(battle gauge still actually counts, it's just more action-oriented).. If they're not it, no interest. FF I play very few spin-off alternate format games of. Some I do cause of multiplayer(Chronicles), though. I don't count FF Legend, as that's a Mana game.

Of course, don't take this as some idea I think the games are bad either. DQ is an awesome series. I just don't gain interest in every single game. Too much money to spend too, so I gotta be picky.

As for Geno, playable would be great. But a DLC costume means they still care. At least, that's how I see it.
That is fine, in that case I think the traditional entries (barring X) and Monsters (including Joker) will suit you.

Another thing, there are some content differences in regards to the PS2 and 3DS versions of VIII. If you want portable with bonus stuff, at the expense of slight international watering down of skimpy outfits, the 3DS one will do.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Does anyone else get burnt out by coming to this thread and seeing people being super pro Geno’s chances then super pessimistic and talking down to people for having some hope then being optimistic again and talking down to people feeling pessimistic? I get it to a certain extent but after awhile I just feel bleh about it all.

Also regarding Erdrick and how people should respond to SE and whatnot:
There’s a big spectrum between joyously consuming every single thing a company puts out and singing their praises even if you actually are let down and mailing suspicious packages to SE execs over a character in a video game. It’s possible to be critical of decisions made by companies without being toxic or aggressive. If people are genuinely unhappy with Erdrick they should speak up and make themselves heard.

Sure, “vote with your walllet” and all that but if you want a company to specifically know why you’re doing that then you need to articulate why you didn’t buy something or didn’t like something you bought. It’s 2019 (basically) SE and and Nintendo have social media accounts for a reason. They take into account things said to them there. And history has shown companies adjust plans and strategies based on consumer feedback. You can bet your ass the legions of Sora fans are going to make themselves heard when Erdrick gets in and Sora doesn’t. So yeah. If Erdrick is legitimately a let down for you because you’d rather have Geno or even someone like Crono in say something about it. Because sitting around complaining in threads while also purchasing the character and not saying something directly to SE and Nintendo about it is only going to lead to similar situations happening in the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does anyone else get burnt out by coming to this thread and seeing people being super pro Geno’s chances then super pessimistic and talking down to people for having some hope then being optimistic again and talking down to people feeling pessimistic? I get it to a certain extent but after awhile I just feel bleh about it all.

There’s a big spectrum between joyously consuming every single thing a company puts out and singing their praises even if you actually are let down and mailing suspicious packages to SE execs over a character in a video game. It’s possible to be critical of decisions made by companies without being toxic or aggressive. If people are genuinely unhappy with Erdrick they should speak up and make themselves heard.

Sure, “vote with your walllet” and all that but if you want a company to specifically know why you’re doing that then you need to articulate why you didn’t buy something or didn’t like something you bought. It’s 2019 (basically) SE and and Nintendo have social media accounts for a reason. They take into account things said to them there. And history has shown companies adjust plans and strategies based on consumer feedback. You can bet your *** the legions of Sora fans are going to make themselves heard when Erdrick gets in and Sora doesn’t. So yeah. If Erdrick is legitimately a let down for you because you’d rather have Geno or even someone like Crono in say something about it. Because sitting around complaining in threads while also purchasing the character and not saying something directly to SE and Nintendo about it is only going to lead to similar situations happening in the future.
I mean, remember how the Isaac fans showed anger to the point that NOA was taken by surprise. This is the kind of thing that gets outcry/publicity for a character out there, warts and all.

Also, this is the absolute state of things right now:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Sure, “vote with your walllet” and all that but if you want a company to specifically know why you’re doing that then you need to articulate why you didn’t buy something or didn’t like something you bought. It’s 2019 (basically) SE and and Nintendo have social media accounts for a reason. They take into account things said to them there. And history has shown companies adjust plans and strategies based on consumer feedback. You can bet your *** the legions of Sora fans are going to make themselves heard when Erdrick gets in and Sora doesn’t. So yeah. If Erdrick is legitimately a let down for you because you’d rather have Geno or even someone like Crono in say something about it. Because sitting around complaining in threads while also purchasing the character and not saying something directly to SE and Nintendo about it is only going to lead to similar situations happening in the future.
Thank you for articulating this better than I could.

D

Deleted member

Literally nothing has changed. Erdrick has been the front runner for almost a month now based on accounts from virtually all the reliable leakers. We've been over this. Unless it's extreme leakbait, Erdrick was likely for a long time now. No, I don't think it's the inherent end of Geno because there's still three characters that we know nothing about and everything supposedly keeping Geno out is fanmade rules. Only hard decomfirmations are assist trophies, Mii costumes, or Sakurai outright saying they won't be in. That's it. I thought we were past this and the only thing that's different is yet another credible leaker coming forward to support it. Like I've been saying for weeks now, rip this bandage off and focus on the remaining three and possibly beyond.
This. So much this.

I also want to remind everyone about the possibility of Geno and Cloud being planned for Smash 4 DLC. Two Square Enix characters. And two ONLY Square Enix characters. Erdrick is 5 parties. Geno has a better chance of being DLC along with a character like Erdrick, who requires 5 parties, then a character like Cloud, who only requires the one same party, and Geno possibly being planned for DLC along with Cloud on top of this

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm trying to figure out:

A) What makes Erdrick 100% our next fighter?
B) Why everyone is getting angry over a 4chan text post?

I don't really believe anything is concrete or should be taken 100% yet. Logically nothing has been right so far.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I mean, remember how the Isaac fans showed anger to the point that NOA was taken by surprise. This is the kind of thing that gets outcry/publicity for a character out there, warts and all.
I do think if Geno doesn't get in, his fans should make like an Isaac fan and make some noise. If that happens please please please be respectful. Coming across as rude and nagging would only hurt us.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm honestly just super burnt out on Smash Culture at the moment. Leak culture and "hype beasts" have honestly ruined a lot of aspects of Smash speculation. So I guess this 5chan post is the new Gematsu in that nobody is allowed to question it unless something is proven wrong on it, which likely won't happen until June at the earliest. ****ing super... Six months of speculation with hardlined gatekeeping. Why bother? I'm still sticking with Geno but I'm probably going to be less involved especially now that wanting anything outside Doomguy, Steve, and Ryu will have you talked down to in threads.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm honestly just super burnt out on Smash Culture at the moment. Leak culture and "hype beasts" have honestly ruined a lot of aspects of Smash speculation. So I guess this 5chan post is the new Gematsu in that nobody is allowed to question it unless something is proven wrong on it, which likely won't happen until June at the earliest. ****ing super... Six months of speculation with hardlined gatekeeping. Why bother? I'm still sticking with Geno but I'm probably going to be less involved especially now that wanting anything outside Doomguy, Steve, and Ryu will have you talked down to in threads.
This, so much of this. I want a Switch as soon as possible, try it out and simply take a long break from the dang forum for a few months, life is too short for trying to prove your point over a cartoon-punching simulator.

At least some of the other character threads are actually serene.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
He leaked the whole roster though... and Geno wasn't there
Aren't you forgetting about the part where he said Donkey Kong isn't getting another rep? He was wrong about that.

It's possible for accurate leakers to make mistakes. After the Grinch leak, I have yet to believe anymore. Until it's announced by Nintendo, I'll believe it.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
A japanese game magazine (Faminico Gamer) recently did a poll on such things as favorite character, stages, etc. One of the polls was who they still wanted as a DLC fighter. Guess who made top 5?

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/181228g/2

Most Wanted For DLC
>1. Rex (79 votes)
>2. Sora (60 votes)
>3. Bandana Waddle Dee (43 votes)
>4. Geno (33 votes)
>5. Banjo & Kazooie (32 votes)
Despite not being placed #1, the fact that he's still placing even in recent polls, especially japanese polls is really refreshing to see. BK is also a favorite of mine, so if popular opinion is still a factor at Nintendo, hopefully they take to mind polls like this to give people what they want.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Man I really am missing that Geno gunner outfit these days. There just aren't a lot of good characters to make Mii Gunners out of! Rayman sure doesn't look right...

D

Deleted member

Hey Fatman

I'm having a weird "up" day so I figured I'd go ahead and say that I'll stick with Geno for Smash Ultimate until either the Mii costume returns or it's outright confirmed that he's not one of the five DLC characters. I dunno. Might as well cement this now before my next downer so you ****ers better hold me accountable if I try to jump ship prematurely again.

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
wait, what happened? haven't been around in a few days. i'm seeing a ton of doom and gloom here and something about a 5chan post and tansut? anyone got links?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A japanese game magazine (Faminico Gamer) recently did a poll on such things as favorite character, stages, etc. One of the polls was who they still wanted as a DLC fighter. Guess who made top 5?

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/181228g/2

Despite not being placed #1, the fact that he's still placing even in recent polls, especially japanese polls is really refreshing to see. BK is also a favorite of mine, so if popular opinion is still a factor at Nintendo, hopefully they take to mind polls like this to give people what they want.
Nice to see BWD on here, maybe this will cheer up the Dee thread some when they hear of it.

For the record, who is on the rest of the list?

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
^This right here.

Honestly the pessimism in this board right now makes me no longer wish to post in this thread at least for a little while... It’s currently a manic/depressive cycle that’s going nowhere fast. I’m gonna take a break from Geno speculation for now as it’s ultimately pointless and I can almost guarantee that DLC character 2 is not gonna be our Square rep. (Probs come back to this thread after the Winter Direct I dunno. Depends on how I feel.)

^Also this. It’s not fun anymore. Especially when everyone thinks their opinions are correct. You can’t want a character anymore that isn’t “leaked” without people shooting you down because insiders are almighty gods to them for some bizarre reason. In fact, it hasn’t been fun since Kencineroar and the Grinch leak. Except somehow now it got worse. A friend of mine who was HUGE into speculation is so burnt out right now he no longer discusses with the fandom anymore because he can’t take the stress of it anymore.

Don’t completely give up no matter what though. If you feel burnt out as well, take a break for a bit. It’ll make you feel better without the excess stress. Also please don’t try to drag each other down okay? We’re all in this together as Geno fans.

Adious for now.

Last edited:

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
wait, what happened? haven't been around in a few days. i'm seeing a ton of doom and gloom here and something about a 5chan post and tansut? anyone got links?
I'm also curious about the 5chan post (assuming this is the Hayabusa, Steve and Doom Marine one); did anything change to make people trust it more?

I can explain the Tansut thing though. He said that Erdrick is in (with male and female alts) but he doesn't know if the Joker/Erdrick 5chan post is legit or not.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Nice to see BWD on here, maybe this will cheer up the Dee thread some when they hear of it.

For the record, who is on the rest of the list?
Full List (forgive the engrish):

Rex (Xenoblade 2): 79 votes
Sora (Kingdom Hearts Series): 60 votes
Bandana Wadorudi (Kirby's series of stars): 43 votes
Gino (Super Mario RPG): 33 votes
Banjo and Kazooi (Banjo and Kazoo's big adventure series): 32 votes
2B: (Nier Automata) 30 votes
Hunter (Monster Hunter series): 30 votes
Dante (Devil May Cry Series): 28 votes
Sands (Undertale): 22 votes
Homura (Xenoblide 2): 20 votes
Amaterasu (Okami): 18 votes
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII): 18 votes
Main character of "Dragon Quest" series: 18 votes
Arles (Puyo Puyo series): 17 votes
Slime (Dragon Quest Series): 17 votes
Maholoa (Kirby's series of stars): 15 votes
Taco Girl · Taco Boy (Splatoon 2): 13 votes
Shadow · Hedgehog (Sonic series): 12 votes
Altoia Pendragon Saber (Fate series): 12 votes
Ryuichi Naruto (Inversion Trial Series): 12 votes
Raiden (Metal Gear Solid Series): 11 votes
Crash · Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot Series): 11 votes
Waluigi (Mario series): 11 votes
Zero (Rockman Zero Series): 10 votes
Kiryu Kazuma (Ryu ga Gotoku Series): 10 votes

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I'm honestly just super burnt out on Smash Culture at the moment. Leak culture and "hype beasts" have honestly ruined a lot of aspects of Smash speculation.
I absolutely agree. I remember when rumors and leaks started popping up vastly before and during the SSB4 days, it really got annoying after a while and needed to stop. It absolutely went out of control after Ultimate was announced back in March. Thank goodness Cloud wasn't full-on leaked in SSB4, that would've ruined the surprise for me.

I wasn't vastly involved with the Brawl hype back in 2006-2008 because I wasn't too interested Smash games at the time, but I heard that's when the leaks all started but wasn't as bad as it was today. I know we found out about Snake (Technically from Brawl's E3 trailer) and Sonic from their released trailers on the Smash Brothers Dojo, but we didn't find out about the other characters like Lucario and a few others until the game came out. I found out about a month ago that there was one who leaked the Dragoon parts in Brawl, it wasn't something major like a character reveal because it was only an item, so having something small like that seems harmless. All of this seemed pretty peaceful compared to today.

But back to the topic, I absolutely agree. Leaks just ruin the surprises for everyone, and I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't getting any more Super Smash Brothers games after Ultimate. Speculation is fun and all but you're right, it gets ruined because surprises are ruined.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ryu's cool and there's honestly a lot they could do with him but ironic memes of Steve and Doomguy has completely soiled them for me. Knowing that a good number of people who support them are doing it tongue in cheek or as a way to troll irks me something deep. If it were the true DLC, it would be... Weird. Aside from arguably Steve, nobody is a particularly big pick among the Smash fanbase. Joker would basically be the best received character as he wasn't super wanted but not hated and at least some people genuinely wanted him. Erdrick is... Erdrick, that's been discussed to death, Ryu simply exists, Steve would be largely hated, and Doomguy is basically the /v/ pick. Again, no big fan favorites aside from Steve who, again, most people would rather do without.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm also curious about the 5chan post (assuming this is the Hayabusa, Steve and Doom Marine one); did anything change to make people trust it more?
As far as I can tell, it was really just a point of curiosity for the Square thread that made people state if, hypothetically, they'd be fine with that list. I really don't think it was anything beyond that, unless someone can correct me on that. I hold no stock in that 'leak'.

D

Deleted member

I still think 2 of the DLC characters will represent new franchises and 2 of the DLC characters will be from franchises already represented in the game

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Full List (forgive the engrish):
>Main character of "Dragon Quest" series
Real specific there, guys.

Good to see Arle and Kiryu on there, though.

Also, I'm not sure why they'd vote for Pyra alone when the point is that she should come with Rex by default.

But back to the topic, I absolutely agree. Leaks just ruin the surprises for everyone, and I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't getting any more Super Smash Brothers games after Ultimate. Speculation is fun and all but you're right, it gets ruined because surprises are ruined.
I could live with a MK8/NSMBU-styled Deluxe edition of Ultimate on the next console, whenever that's coming.

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Came into this thread expecting you guys to still pretend Geno has a very good chance and I was right.

It's over, gang. Hopefully we'll get our Geno costume back.
Its not over till its over friendo. I'm personally not gonna believe attention seeking "leaks" when no one has been right about a damn thing so far.
Aren't you forgetting about the part where he said Donkey Kong isn't getting another rep? He was wrong about that.

It's possible for accurate leakers to make mistakes. After the Grinch leak, I have yet to believe anymore. Until it's announced by Nintendo, I'll believe it.
this is the correct approach. people in here need to remember that 99% of the "leakers" are doing it for attention, and probably know as much as you or I do.
Also theres nothing petty about not supporting Erdrick and telling square we don't want him, both by not purchasing him, and by telling them that. Maybe don't be a huge **** about it or be inciteful. But, I cannot say I wouldn't be after their constant blunders over the past couple of years. So, while I don't support lashing out, I understand. Just maybe don't drag Geno or whoever you DO want them to throw in through the mud and spoil it for everyone else.

That being said, I still 100% think Erdrick is bait, just because of his very small level of popularity, even in Japan, when compared to other characters.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Don't start spreading misinfo.

Verge NEVER said DK was getting another rep. He said one of his sources told him this but he didn't believe it, and it was in a PM that was meant to stay private.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
We know Sakurai is happy about Persona 5 being represented in Smash. Someone mentioned something about Sakurai enjoying the DLC that's being represented in Smash, as if he's EXTREMELY happy about working with it. So if Erdrick is are supposed Square rep, it makes a little sense because Sakurai's favorite DQ game is DQ3 and that's where Erdrick originated from. Hear me out:

Now I'm starting to think Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of franchises to choose from, and Sakurai picks a character from that specific franchise to put in as DLC. Let's say Nintendo put Persona and Dragon Quest on the list, Sakurai picks his own characters he likes from that series; Joker and Erdrick probably appealed to him most, so he chose those two. There's probably more franchises on that list to choose from, not just five. NOW let's say if Nintendo put "Super Mario" on that list, he can choose any Mario character from the Super Mario franchise, whether they involve being in a major game or spin-off; Geno would be valid because he is part of the Super Mario series, the only problem is if Nintendo is okay with him. So maybe it doesn't matter if one company gets two DLC characters, as long as they're from completely different franchises then I think it should be okay. All I know is Geno had to've been on Sakurai's mind during the picking of the DLC, and we all know Geno has been on his mind for the past 10+ years. I think we know Sakurai would've mentioned Geno to Nintendo, but I don't know how they'd feel about him. So I'm not sure, which is why I want to wait this out for the next four characters. If Erdrick is our 2nd and the 3rd DLC character are characters Sakurai likes working with, then I believe Sakurai is choosing franchises who have characters that appeal to him most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom