• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'll admit though; if that leak IS real, shout out to Ninja Gaiden rounding out the Retro gang. That would be awesome, admittedly.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'll admit though; if that leak IS real, shout out to Ninja Gaiden rounding out the Retro gang. That would be awesome, admittedly.
I honestly doubt the Doom Marine, Ryu Hayabusa, and Steve leak is real, because it's not really founded on much of any evidence at all. Ninja Gaiden represented via Ryu would be so, so sick, though, and I'm really biased for Doom.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I honestly doubt the Doom Marine, Ryu Hayabusa, and Steve leak is real, because it's not really founded on much of any evidence at all. Ninja Gaiden represented via Ryu would be so, so sick, though, and I'm really biased for Doom.
Let's compromise
Joker
Geno
Ryu
Doomguy
Banjo

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Let's compromise
Joker
Geno
Ryu
Doomguy
Banjo
Haha, I wish. That'd be an amazing lineup. That'd make Fighter's Pass far more worthwhile for me personally.

That being said, thinking about it, characters that are fan favorites aren't really that marketable for FP, given that they're probably aiming for larger audiences when it comes to it. Joker has a huge fanbase in Persona, Erdrick has a massive fanbase in the East, etc. It'll make a lot of sales based on a wide appeal, right? Given it's a large pack that comes cheaper than single character DLC in Sm4sh was, it makes up for its cheap price by selling characters that will make MASSIVE profits.

Now, if Nintendo wanted to do fan favorites, who says they can't do that with misc. DLC? Release a character with some music, but no stage. The price will be steeper, quite a bit so, as to make up for the fact that it won't sell quite as widely as the more 'popular' Fighter's Pass. Take the 6 bucks per character with music and a stage and see how much of a deal that is, including with how wide the audience would be. If they wanted to go more niche, such as with Geno, they could always sell him with some of Yoko's music for a heftier price than fighter + stage + music. Let's be real here, I'm sure a lot of Geno's fans would pay $10+ for him, even if it's a bit of a chunky price for just him and some music. With a larger price tag, they could recoup more of that money. They make more profit, fans are happy, everyone is happy.

Let's be real, Fighter's Pass has such a specific, monetary-gaining aim that doesn't align with base game Ultimate being 'for the hardcore fans', as the marketing makes it come across. We were give a bone with base game while they capitalize on more 'popular' picks, and for all we know, they might still be cooking stuff up for the hardcore community. We just don't know.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Man, how quickly everyone forgets that NO ONE KNOWS THE DLC!

Seriously, a new leak that has a less than a gram of credibility shows up and we all flip our lids. Sure, I think Geno isn't likely, but it's based on evidence we have forming my opinion: this has no evidence at all.

So a random forum user says that Joker will be in and describes everything about his stage and a bit about the gameplay even though development on him is very VERY early? Then he claims to know Eddy is in and a bit about how he works and how his stage works when Joker is still in EARLY development and PP is wrapping up? That's crap because this random joe would have to have info from a very tight-knit group and I'm sorry but the odds are low, especially for a random 5chan/2chan leak.

Oh, so Verge and Hitagi back this up? Who cares! Verge lost his credibility when the Square rep (if we get one, mind you) wasn't the first reveal and Hitagi isn't credible for Smash at all, so who gives a hoot in hell about what they say. Still waiting on that random Enderdragon boss, Verge...still waiting...

Tansut? You mean the guy who said there was a leak out there that upset Square yet we got no Square rep in the base game? What leak was it? We never saw it, so it must have been in private circles, but even then what was it? At BEST, it was a private leak with Eddy's name on it, at BEST if you want to believe this is true. Tansut is not credible for Smash Ultimate. Also, DLC in Smash 4 and DLC in Smash Ultimate are two separate beasts, and I bet you Sakurai and Friends are cracking down hard on this DLC cycle since Ryu and Roy got spoiled last time.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who thinks Geno ain't happening. Even so, I know better than to fall for this s***. Come on guys, didn't we promise to hold leaks to an impossibly high standard after the Grinch Leak fooled the masses (though I must note I didn't believe that one either, just wanted it to be real).

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
If you actually believe Erdrick is coming because a ton of people are saying "its erdrick" then I don't know what to tell you. Square wouldn't just be ignoring all this buzz buzz going on about it either, people would be losing their jobs, and we'd be hearing about it. No one knows the actual DLC yet, don't let people with agendas get to you.

I'll stick to the thought process that sakurai said before, working with too many groups to make sure a thing is done right is too hard, and he doesn't wanna do that. Just be patient and try to stay positive about it.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
We're very close to 600 pages!

Something I find silly is some of y'all are literally believing a text leak from the japanese equivalent of 4chan at this point. How did it come to this??

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I totally get why people are being skeptical of things, and honestly, I still have a little bit of 'huh?' in the back of my mind over Erdrick. I just like to temper my expectations when it comes to Geno so I don't get horribly crushed. My apologies if it's aggravating for y'all. I just figure it's best to tread carefully with my desires after the heartbreak of a certain fake leak.

That being said, it's really not the 5ch leak people are looking at here. It's the fact that many insiders are corroborating with Erdrick. Whether that's convincing or not is up to you, but the 5ch leak being the big source of all of this is misinformation.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
No one except for some people (I'm including Sakurai in here) so I see Erdrick happening, it's gonna hurt. It's hurting already, but DQ has such legacy and needs to be represented.
I still have hopes for Geno tho
Nah, DQ doesn't deserve anything, they've managed decent games at best. but overall they were boring grindfests with obvious plots and boring tasks. The monsters games are A+ fun though.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I totally get why people are being skeptical of things, and honestly, I still have a little bit of 'huh?' in the back of my mind over Erdrick. I just like to temper my expectations when it comes to Geno so I don't get horribly crushed. My apologies if it's aggravating for y'all. I just figure it's best to tread carefully with my desires after the heartbreak of a certain fake leak.

That being said, it's really not the 5ch leak people are looking at here. It's the fact that many insiders are corroborating with Erdrick. Whether that's convincing or not is up to you, but the 5ch leak being the big source of all of this is misinformation.
It's not the big source, but it's at the center. All of the insiders that are credible have heard SEVERAL square enix characters, and suddenly a text leak makes all of them say it's definitely Erdrick? Did all of them completely forget about Square's tendency to leakbait? None of this is making sense to me. It seems like everyone has thrown common sense out the window just to say Erdrick is in definitively.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It's not the big source, but it's at the center. All of the insiders that are credible have heard SEVERAL square enix characters, and suddenly a text leak makes all of them say it's definitely Erdrick? Did all of them completely forget about Square's tendency to leakbait? None of this is making sense to me. It seems like everyone has thrown common sense out the window just to say Erdrick is in definitively.
Honestly, it would be great if we are convinced it's Eddy and Sakurai tosses us Geno instead. At the depths of doubt and despair, when we think we cannot go on...when we are in the pit of darkness and hopelessness, Sakurai grants our wish...

God, I need to stop playing Kingdom Hearts, DX

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Nah, DQ doesn't deserve anything
Can we not please?

Also, you're really talking about the legacy series still getting installments these days vs. Geno? The one-shot character who most people outside Smash fandom doesn't know about?

I'm not against Geno getting in, but that's a glass house kingdom with the shade you're throwing there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>want Geno so that fan waiting cycle finally ends
>but also want Loto, so that chances for Slime and Jess rise up a little

Anyone else know how it feels to be conflicted? It's like being given the choice of picking between your adoptive family and your birth family.

Honestly, it would be great if we are convinced it's Eddy and Sakurai tosses us Geno instead. At the depths of doubt and despair, when we think we cannot go on...when we are in the pit of darkness and hopelessness, Sakurai grants our wish...

God, I need to stop playing Kingdom Hearts, DX
Actually, I was wondering something earlier...

What if Tansut was disguising his Erdrick leak, by being a logical Square pick, only for it to be Geno instead?

If that's the case, that's some serious next-level messing with people's heads on his part, and a bit of a jerk move, honestly. Probably won't be the case, but...

Boy, if all those insiders do turn out to be wrong, they'll be taken even less seriously than after Joker's arrival.

tenor2.gif

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's compromise
Joker
Geno
Ryu
Doomguy
Banjo
You took out Steve and gave me a roster that would make me tolerate Doomguy, so I applaud you.

Nah, DQ doesn't deserve anything, they've managed decent games at best. but overall they were boring grindfests with obvious plots and boring tasks. The monsters games are A+ fun though.
Well, it’s good to know some people have bad taste, I guess.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about the Square rep is... well. You know how Banjo keeps getting mentioned? Remember his Nuts & Bolts redesign?

Yeah.

Yeah I'm thinking he's in, :4pacman:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I refuse to humor the idea of "Erdrick is in ya'll!" until I see him officially revealed, should he be revealed at all. Text leaks don't do nothin for me. Square can't possibly have been cracked this badly if only ONE person was supposedly able to get correct information about Cloud out there prior to his announcement in Sm4sh. Legacy can suck my nuts.
Let's compromise
Joker
Geno
Ryu
Doomguy
Banjo
ngl, this lineup would be really dope. Hayabusa isn't a character that I actively enthusiastically support but would definitely fall in love with upon seeing him in action. Gotta love ninjas.
I've always wanted Banjo but he was always the "leak killer" to me because I see him as an impossibility. To actually have him would be a dream come true.
Doomguy is one of three characters that would make me so happy that I might actually cry.

also MY obscure character is Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'd be satisfied with any non DQ Square character. Not only do to my preachy moral reasons, but that would be a collective crow eating the size of Metroid Prime at the VGA.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
How goes it fellow Smashers. Been playing Smash since 99 & I've browsed through here, Reddit & Gamefaqs a good couple of times but never made an account till now. Seems like a real laid back place for discussion. Any way, I'm down with any character(except Steve) but my top #1 is and always be Banjo Kazooie. I'd freaking love Geno, Erdrick, Sephiroth, or really any Square character, tbh. I'd really like to see Geno fully fleshed out in Ultimate's mechanics tho. Hopefully something works out for all parties

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Can we not please?

Also, you're really talking about the legacy series still getting installments these days vs. Geno? The one-shot character who most people outside Smash fandom doesn't know about?

I'm not against Geno getting in, but that's a glass house kingdom with the shade you're throwing there.
I've never said he "DESERVES" a spot either. I just want him to have one. No one not in the game currently actually deserves a spot at this point. Those characters have been in the game since Brawl, mostly, King K Rool is the last character revealed I believe actively deserved a spot. Everything else is just icing at this point.

If I were to settle for a DQ character, it would have to be Yangus or Jade.

How goes it fellow Smashers. Been playing Smash since 99 & I've browsed through here, Reddit & Gamefaqs a good couple of times but never made an account till now. Seems like a real laid back place for discussion. Any way, I'm down with any character(except Steve) but my top #1 is and always be Banjo Kazooie. I'd freaking love Geno, Erdrick, Sephiroth, or really any Square character, tbh. I'd really like to see Geno fully fleshed out in Ultimate's mechanics tho. Hopefully something works out for all parties
More Banjo fans are always welcome! Favorite BK Music track? Just cause im curious.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A couple of things; please do not double post. Edit your messages instead.

Also, please do not post media-only replies(once in a while a tweet may have enough context on its own, though). For the most part, add your own text to create stronger context of what you mean. Just enough to get the idea. We aren't asking for essays(not that there's anything wrong with that), of course.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry too much. Sure the Cloud leaker from SSB4 said Erdrick is coming, everyone is saying it now, but we won't know until it's officially confirmed. I'm leaning towards it being Erdrick now, but people could still just be taking guesses. I would wait until it's confirmed. I just want to know why they wouldn't use their most recent Dragon Quest protagonist as a newcomer instead of some old DQ protagonist from many years ago. There's still a couple of things we can't forget:

1. Polar's source saying no one knows the DLC.

2. Don't forget about the Vifam figure, we still have no clue what Sakurai's using it for.

Whether Erdrick lowers or raises Geno's chances, we must wait until DLC ends. We still don't even know if Nintendo bought Geno and Mallow from Square, but let's hope they did because that would make him first-party now, and this would be much easier for Sakurai and Nintendo to choose a fan favorite they completely own.
That's why I specified Smash Ultimate. Ice Climbers are a returning fighter from Melee and Brawl. Like I said, Geno's best shot was most likely Brawl when we know that Sakurai did consider him. Since then, Smash has evolved somewhat and the third party slots have become extremely competitive. If Geno was first party, he most likely would've made Brawl's roster (unless he was cut for reasons other than licensing).
Call me crazy, but if Geno was first-party I think we would've seen Geno make a debut in Melee as a trophy because a lot of Mario characters made it as trophies. Other than that, I agree, I think his best shot was Brawl. If only he was owned by Nintendo. :/
He was a leaker that mentioned Incineroar being in and a few other things pertaining to the Smash direct publically on Twitter, then lost his job a little bit later.
Before the September Direct, wasn't that the guy who said Incineroar and Ken would be revealed in the same trailer in a boxing ring? I remember the leak saying Incineroar would appear from the shadows and surprise Ken.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
It's funny how considering confirmation that Dragon Quest 3 is Sakurai's favorite DQ game, Geno vs Erdrick is in a way, a war of his "favorites".
Sakurai starts showing love to Erdrick exponentially more like he did Geno if/when Erdrick is revealed, then I'd confidently say that Erdrick's reveal wouldn't at all affect Geno's chances.

I think that'd be a pretty big indicator that Sakurai's favorites would be included in DLC, so a single Square rep is not likely considering just how many times he's tried to shoehorn Geno back into the spotlight.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
so a single Square rep is not likely considering just how many times he's tried to shoehorn Geno back into the spotlight.
If Square say so, one Square rep if there's any at all, is all Nintendo is going to get from them.

Let's not forget, Sakurai doesn't have complete say nor control in this entire matter.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
If Square say so, one Square rep if there's any at all, is all Nintendo is going to get from them.

Let's not forget, Sakurai doesn't have complete say nor control in this entire matter.
That's not what I'm saying. We always look at Nintendo from a corporate perspective, and even though they've tried to appeal to the fans lately, we've still viewed them on how they'll act as a company. Try to look at things from a different point of view. Sakurai has worked tirelessly to put Ultimate out on time, and he's even done his best to include fan-favorites in the base. Nintendo might just feel for all he's done, and chose characters that would make Sakurai and the fans happy.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Came into this thread expecting you guys to still pretend Geno has a very good chance and I was right.

It's over, gang. Hopefully we'll get our Geno costume back.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It can be over for you, but don't try to drag the whole group down.
You know what at this point I think some dragging down has to be done.

Seeing you guys covering your eyes and ears and going "no Geno's still likely" is what got us into this mess in the first place. All the sadness and salt.

Look at my icon, look at my sig, look at any of my posts and you'll see I'm pretty ****ing ruined over Geno being out!

But we're just pulling reasoning out of thin air instead of accepting, hey, maybe it's time to just start accepting that Erdrick will probably be in. We can learn to like the guy.

Pretending Geno is still a frontrunner will only result in the inclusion of another rep hurting even deeper.

If y'all want me to be quiet I'll be quiet but don't say I didn't warn you when it isn't Geno.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Huh, we're near page 600, we know our SE rep and it's almost new year. Today has been an eventful day.

Anyways, i'm sad and dissapointed we didn't get Geno, but i've already prepared for this. I'm let down because they didn't put in more ballot picks like Geno, Isaac and Banjo in the base game, but here we are.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Can we not please?

Yeah, How can you disprove DQ Legacy, the game is just the king of the kings on Japan.
Also, I said deserves because why not, having DQ represented would be so ****ing awesome, although it's just my opinion so don't take this too personal.

If this leak ends being a total leakbait, a fake one and a huge trick made by SE, Oof then.

Enjoy the end of the year guys! See you tomorrow :3

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Let's compromise
Joker
Geno
Ryu
Doomguy
Banjo
To be honest, at this point I'll take who ever I'll be happy with for the DLC characters even if they're not Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Porky, Geno, or Shantae.

Welcome. :)

Came into this thread expecting you guys to still pretend Geno has a very good chance and I was right.

It's over, gang. Hopefully we'll get our Geno costume back.
It's not over until the fat lady sings. That fat lady being Sakurai.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Can we not please?

The problem is: even DQ beeing famous, Erdrick is not. If DQ was chosen for being famous, they should choose a character who is more famous too.
FFVII for example is very popular and Cloud too, so he is a good rep for FF IP, but Erdrick just feels like a random approach. Sakurai seems to get the most famous characters for the third party IPs that get in Smash and Erdrick feels like a little bit off.

Also, he feels a little boring, this coming from a person who has never played any DQ and does not know anything about it. Joker is a good example here, I never played Persona and I don't know any character or anything about it too, but I am going to buy Joker because he seems to be a cool and fun character (even though he has not been shown in the game yet), he is mysterious and catches the attention of those who look at him. But I keep imagining players who are less hardcore and are choosing which DLCs to buy in the eshop and it's hard to imagine people prioritizing Erdrick over other cool characters, he is so cult and strange. Even people who played recent DQs might not recognize him or notice that he is from DQ.
I believe that DQ has a good chance to get a DLC rep, really! And leaving my love to Geno aside for a second I truely understand the relevance of DQ and how fair and cool it would be if we get a DQ rep, but Erdrick specifically seems like a strange choice for the pattern of how Sakurai usually picks the new characters. For me, this rumors about Erdrick getting in are leakbait or maybe someone misunderstood some information even with good intentions, but I'm getting this Grinch feeling about this leaks with him.
But I personally have nothing against Erdrick or DQ. If Geno does not get in this time, I just hope the characters who stole his spot are interesting and fun, especially considering how few new characters this Smash had!

Happy new year people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom