• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
During the Nintendo Direct, the last thing shown off or near the end of the direct, Super Mario RPG Remastered is revealed. It introduces us to all our favorite characters again highlighting Geno and Mallow in the trailer. After the 'actual' reveal trailer is over, it extends to an in game clip in Star Hill. Geno appears over a lone wish star on Star Hill. The text prompt then reads 'I want Geno in Smash Bros' It then cuts to Geno appearing on battlefield and proceeds with his Smash Bros trailer. Very similar to the Isabelle/Animal Crossing 2019 reveal but in reverse. At this point would be an outstanding way to kill two birds with one stone.
That would be amazing! I never really thought about how Geno would be revealed if he was DLC, but I could legitimately see this happening (if a Super Mario RPG Remake ends up being an actual thing, of course). Making use of the wishes in Star Hill for the reveal would totally be something Sakurai would do, based on how he used the "The Choice" from Fates for Corrin's trailer.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm starting a New SMRPG file.

I named it "BOWSER" as a Radical Soda reference. And I admit it , I laugh when Bowser said "It's a chain reaction!" I didn't noticed it the first time I played it lol

And I'm just jumping on Mario's bed , small details like this are funny. This whole game is like that tbh , lot of attention to small details like that.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
IMG_20181223_125527.jpg

I'm fighting Mack !

I soon realized that it was kind of easy to cheese him out , make Mario use Defense , and make Mallow spam Thunderbolt to defeat the Shylet... Shybounce ... Shy guys on pogo sticks , then you can pretty much destroy Mack lol. But , since I always mess up my strategies , I'm sure the shy guys will pop up back when I have no FP left . I'll need to do a risky move by asking Mario to give Mallow a Honey syrup , and hope Mallow is fast enough to use defense.
(Even tho , not gonna lie , I'm at level 4 , I have a lot of items , and Mario has the hammer/shirt , and Mallow , the pants.)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Phoenix would be really cool, I wouldn't even be mad. But spirits deconfirming on top of steve being one of the DLC characters just isn't a reality I want to be a part of.
Well, at worst, if they do confirm or deconfirm, it should only be for Season 1. And there's no gurantee yet that they deconfirm thankfully. As for Steve, yeaaah even Vergeben isn't acting certain on him. I wouldn't worry too much yet about him.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about Hitagi and Xenother that makes me more distrustful of them is how they leap to absolutes and certainties so quickly. Verge doesn't confirm anything as definite unless he's really sure, yet Hitagi and Xenother act... very sure of stuff that they aren't necessarily solid about. Granted, I don't know if Xenother does that anymore, but they initially did with their first GameFAQs leaks.

Polar and Verge leak things that are likely, but they don't speak in absolutes unless it's 100%, at least for the most part. (Polar's got a great track record, whereas Verge's is that slightest bit more shaky, thus the accusations of 'backtracking' thrown at him.) That's why I'm more trustful of them, whereas Xenother and Hitagi, while possibly linked to credible sources, make me more leery. It doesn't mean that their sources are wrong, unreal, etc. However, it does make things come across as though they make leaps and assumptions without foolproof verification. It makes them come across as not very reputable, even if that isn't necessarily true.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Well, at worst, if they do confirm or deconfirm, it should only be for Season 1. And there's no gurantee yet that they deconfirm thankfully. As for Steve, yeaaah even Vergeben isn't acting certain on him. I wouldn't worry too much yet about him.
That blocky sonovabitch haunts my nightmares... I haven't slept in weeks. I've substituted rest for caffeine and I've only just now begun noticing the cracks in reality.
All jokes aside though, I'm really hoping for a season 2 DLC pack.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That blocky sonovabitch haunts my nightmares... I haven't slept in weeks. I've substituted rest for caffeine and I've only just now begun noticing the cracks in reality.
Same. (The, the DLC pack thing, not the former. just dont talk too much about it ovaltine they wont know your descent into madness)

I hope for a season 2, as well, and it'd be such a missed opportunity if Nintendo didn't do that. That being said, I hope they can work something out with Sakurai and Sora Ltd. so that Sakurai, while having input on everything, can really take it easy some more when it comes to the fighters. I think he needs to relent some of his duties more than he's willing to for the sake of his own health. I honestly worry about the man...

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
Steve is one reason I pray that banjo gets confirmed.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know...

Something I realized that could be good or bad, depending on your faith in Nintendo, is how they handled Geno's Mii costume reveal in 4. The fact that the NoA twitter went out of their way to say, verbatim, "LOOK WHO'S BACK!" is both a sign of hope and something to be concerned about. It comes across as rather clear to me: Nintendo's treated this as Geno's triumphant return.

I see this going over in one of two ways:

Bad ending: Nintendo believes this is more than enough to sate the fans, and Geno being playable at all was never an option in their minds. The Mii costume is as far as they'll go. Period. That comes across as a really bad move to me, honestly. It's hardly a revival, even if it gives a small facsimile of playing Geno. It doesn't utilize playable status in Smash to really revive a character and bring them back to the modern day, which is what the Geno fans have wanted from jump. Nintendo doesn't realize we want Geno revived period, and this is nothing at all close to a revival. It's nice compensation for the fact that it was too late to include him in Sm4sh, but it's just that: compensation. It's not a revival.

Good ending: Nintendo believes this is enough to sate the fans for now, and they have plans for Geno beyond that to instate a proper revival. Does it necessarily mean Smash? Maybe not. Smash would be a great way to revive the character and, by proxy, other SMRPG properties (Mallow, maybe some of the music, maybe even some of the lesser OCs of that game). However, if they can do it in the main RPG series for Mario instead (especially via Alpha Dream), that would also do wonders. Smash is obviously the best option, but I'd be beyond pleased with something outside of Smash, too. Anything like this outside of his spirit and Mii outfit would be what we've wanted all along: a return to form for Geno, for what we love most out of SMRPG.

I really hope we don't get that bad ending, because it just reads to me as, "Okay, you wanted it, here, you got it. Happy now? Yes? No? Don't worry, we won't be listening either way. See ya." Nintendo's been doing great at appeasing hardcore fans overall lately, though, so I have some hope that they wouldn't just leave us high and dry like that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if you do have the opportunity, can you 'PM' me or at least fill me in on the 'personal reasons' thing? I am not understanding why a source would discount a character's chances because of 'reasons.'
It's just as vague as it sounds and Polar even shared the original message that was sent to Vergeben with me. He literally says he discounts Geno for "personal reasons" but also said he didn't want to go into them. That's where the explanation ends.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Would you like to see Geno in Mario spin-offs? One might say he is too "serious" for the wackiness of those games, but I heard the same for Rosalina and Pauline.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Would you like to see Geno in Mario spin-offs? One might say he is too "serious" for the wackiness of those games, but I heard the same for Rosalina and Pauline.
I don't see them paying Square to use him or Mallow in the spin-offs unless it was DLC, and even then, it probably wouldn't be lucrative enough for them. If they did, though, I'd go out of my way to buy even the Mario spin-offs I don't care about just to play as those two. I'd go RIGHT out of my way for them.

D

Deleted member

I don't see them paying Square to use him or Mallow in the spin-offs unless it was DLC, and even then, it probably wouldn't be lucrative enough for them. If they did, though, I'd go out of my way to buy even the Mario spin-offs I don't care about just to play as those two. I'd go RIGHT out of my way for them.
It's actually kind of odd... In the Mario sports games that SE developed they included FF characters (I think one of them had a playable Slime too), with that in mind it seems Geno and/or Mallow would be obvious but I guess that wasn't the case lol

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
It's just as vague as it sounds and Polar even shared the original message that was sent to Vergeben with me. He literally says he discounts Geno for "personal reasons" but also said he didn't want to go into them. That's where the explanation ends.
Sounds like he just wants to get people riled up if nothing more than personal reasons.

D

Deleted member

If Geno gets in, who else is gonna beat up a bunch of Miis with him in Mob Smash listening to this catchy tune?Mob Smash

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
My thing is if that's the biggest reason for him discounting Geno and the basis by which all the other leakers are discounting him as well then that's a super flimsy reason. Especially if he's not even explaining his reasoning. That's like a rung below "lol spirits deconfirm characters because normal spirits are different than fighter spirits".

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Personal reasons just sounds like Verge's and his source's own speculation. If he isn't willing to elaborate on the details either, then he probably sees no need to because of it being personal speculation. I could see why he wouldn't want to divulge that and start having his concerns taken as gospel.

That being said, it just tells me more and more that this reason for discounting Geno is as legitimate as any other speculation, as in, not very. It's only assumption based on his and his source's views, nothing more and nothing less. Hitagi, as far as I know, hasn't heard anything about Geno, positive or negative, whereas Xenother stated they're almost sure Geno isn't in. This was at the beginning of Xeno's involvement, though, and when he was really jumping the gun on a lot of presumptions based on his sources. Given he hasn't gotten anything right beyond helping Polar with their Atlus contact (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong.), I just... don't put stock into what he says.

Basically, I'd take what insiders say about Geno for now with a huge grain of salt. I don't think anything is anywhere near clear-cut with him right now. Considering how tight Nintendo has been with this DLC already... that may be a good thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No one is really believing what he is saying tho
I never really believed him that much to begin with.

Like, sooner or later, I tried to get used to the idea of his most ridiculous character leak claims when speaking out against them wasn't going anywhere, until something came along that put them into question.

But what really hurt his credibility for me is when he decided to take the coward's way out in terms of taking criticism to his claims. "Insulting me is also insulting Vergeben." Really. When you're a leaker, you accept criticisms, you don't use a scapegoat in case things go sour.

Well, preferably with Mallow coming too, if possible.

That being said, those who thought Pauline wouldn't fit in clearly haven't seen the wacky DK spin-off she has been in.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"My sources say Isabelle is an echo fighter."

This is why I'm skeptical of always taking Verge 100% seriously. Not everything is what it seems.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Was gonna edit my post to include this, but it's something I don't think I saw that was brought up, and it is very fascinating to me... because it comes from Tansut, someone we know has some kind of in with Square Enix themselves. (After all, they were the only one to predict Cloud. The ONLY one.)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...y-the-music-died.73893/page-204#post-13968171

"It was NOT Nintendo that had some internal discussion / annoyance / whatever about a leak. I mean maybe they did separately, but I'm not aware of it if that's the case.

I feel like this confirms Vergeben's stance on there being a rep from that company but, as I've said, I don't know ANYTHING about what the leak is. Whether it's public or in private circles, whether it's a video / picture / text, etc. This also leads me to believe which character it is based on the glut of leaks (fake or otherwise) surrounding them, but I really hate outright guessing because I still legitimately have no actual knowledge of which character it is.

So y'all can assume or get hype at your own discretion, but that's pretty much all I know. Everything else is guesswork."

Note the glut of leaks mention. The only two characters that really got in a lot of leaks around the time of him posting that were Sora and Geno, mainly the latter. If we're to piece that together with the fact that Sora, by the narrative we have, is definitely out, that only leaves Geno. The fact that Tansut may very well be making a wild guess about Geno is... interesting, to say the least.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"My sources say Isabelle is an echo fighter."

This is why I'm skeptical of always taking Verge 100% seriously. Not everything is what it seems.
Yeah, and his sources didn't hear anything about K. Rool (IIRC). The only reason most people trusted him about Kencineroar (one of the things he found out correctly) is because the marketing department messed up by revealing their box too early.

Besides, his track record hasn't been so hot on other fighting games he's been involved with, never mind Ultimate DLC coverups making things harder for anyone to expose.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, and his sources didn't hear anything about K. Rool (IIRC). The only reason most people trusted him about Kencineroar (one of the things he found out correctly) is because the marketing department messed up by revealing their box too early.

Besides, his track record hasn't been so hot on other fighting games he's been involved with, never mind Ultimate DLC coverups making things harder for anyone to expose.
I think the thing with K. Rool was his source flat-out saying that he isn't in, and Verge relayed that, but he wasn't entirely sure. He didn't go all in on K. Rool one way or the other. Either way, it makes his source itself shaky at best.

D

Deleted member

Was gonna edit my post to include this, but it's something I don't think I saw that was brought up, and it is very fascinating to me... because it comes from Tansut, someone we know has some kind of in with Square Enix themselves. (After all, they were the only one to predict Cloud. The ONLY one.)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...y-the-music-died.73893/page-204#post-13968171

"It was NOT Nintendo that had some internal discussion / annoyance / whatever about a leak. I mean maybe they did separately, but I'm not aware of it if that's the case.

I feel like this confirms Vergeben's stance on there being a rep from that company but, as I've said, I don't know ANYTHING about what the leak is. Whether it's public or in private circles, whether it's a video / picture / text, etc. This also leads me to believe which character it is based on the glut of leaks (fake or otherwise) surrounding them, but I really hate outright guessing because I still legitimately have no actual knowledge of which character it is.

So y'all can assume or get hype at your own discretion, but that's pretty much all I know. Everything else is guesswork."

Note the glut of leaks mention. The only two characters that really got in a lot of leaks around the time of him posting that were Sora and Geno, mainly the latter. If we're to piece that together with the fact that Sora, by the narrative we have, is definitely out, that only leaves Geno. The fact that Tansut may very well be making a wild guess about Geno is... interesting, to say the least.
At that time, Sora wasn't in many leaks. GENO, however....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Geno is the one

link2702

Smash Champion
I just thought of something.... what if the se rep isn’t gonna be revealed until the ff ps and ps2 ports/remasters are released in 2019? I just got the feeling that when the Nintendo direct showing the release dates of these are announced, the se rep will be shown with them.

Idk if that would be good or bad for geno’s chances, more likely it would mean nothing at all. But either way it’d probably make the most sense to reveal the rep then.

Of course this also brings up the thought...what if we get another ff rep? But it’s tidus or zidane?

Not sure how I’d feel on that...they’re both some of my favorite ff characters...but if they got in over geno...

MattX20

Smash Hero

Yeah, this is one I have more trust in as opposed to Hitagi and anyone else flaunting Erdrick around as fact with no "credible" evidence to back up their claims.

beans

Smash Lord
I just thought of something.... what if the se rep isn’t gonna be revealed until the ff ps and ps2 ports/remasters are released in 2019? I just got the feeling that when the Nintendo direct showing the release dates of these are announced, the se rep will be shown with them.

Idk if that would be good or bad for geno’s chances, more likely it would mean nothing at all. But either way it’d probably make the most sense to reveal the rep then.

Of course this also brings up the thought...what if we get another ff rep? But it’s tidus or zidane?

Not sure how I’d feel on that...they’re both some of my favorite ff characters...but if they got in over geno...
I need that chant of alternating pronunciations for Tidus.
I need it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom