• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Best part is that the 22yo anniversary tweet, the HQ question and the lazuliro art still exists.
Even if Geno isn't the "SE" rep, I'd still root for a SMRPG Remake :3
I will root for Geno and Super Mario RPG Remake, even if a different Sony PlayStation trash SE character gets in, I will not give up on Geno. Even if he isn't in the first DLC pass, I will not give up. I have seen some people say that it is now or never for Geno, and even if that is the case, we shouldn't be so dead set on that. It will only be more agonizing if he give up on him. After all, his support dropped quite a bit after Brawl, but there was still support for him, and as a result of not giving up, we got the Mii costume and the 2016 article with Sakurai. Ridley fans didn't give up on Ridley after Sakurai's view on adding him. K Rool fans didn't give up after all the times Nintendo neglected him despite owning him.

Don't give up on Geno, even if a different SE character gets in before him or if he isn't in the first pass :)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I don't see how this is evidence for Geno.

Keep in mind that the two spirits we have are not random monsters or soemthing. They're GENO and MALLOW the two party members.

Also keep in mind a distinct lack of SE content in general. SE has only a handful of spirits. Geno, Mallow, and a couple of Cloud variants etc. Still only TWO music tracks. Not even spirits for the summons that appear on the Midgar stage or party members from FF VII.

I think it's reaching to say that this lack is some kind of void. If it was evidence that Nintendo was holding back because Geno was coming...then why is Geno one of the very few SE spirits added?

I'm sorry but I just don't think he's happeneing. Nintendo is picking the DLC and I don't think they have any desire to pick Geno, or to pay SE licensing fees for anyone that isn't representing a larger series.
I'mma stop you right there.

1. The reason why there are two FF7 soundtracks in the game is NOT because of Square Enix, it's because of Nobuo Uematsu, the Final Fantasy composer himself. Mr. Uematsu has a code of being strict with letting people use his soundtracks, and even Square has a tough time getting soundtracks off of him. When Smash 4 only received two soundtracks on Midgar, and when Smash Ultimate said they were bringing back 95% of the stages back at E3, I honestly thought Midgar wouldn't even return at all. I wasn't surprised it didn't get any new soundtracks or remixes after it was revealed in the August Direct that we still had two FF tracks, but I was surprised that Midgar made a return. Mr. Uematsu does not work for Square anymore, he left them in 2004.

2. Yoko Shimomura is the composer for Super Mario RPG. The fact that she is already onboard since Brawl means a lot, and it's quite clear that she ABSOLUTELY loves letting Sakurai and Nintendo use her soundtrack. She's not stingy like Uematsu is either, so getting SMRPG originals or remixes off of her is about as easy as drinking a glass of milk; getting Uematsu's soundtracks is about as difficult as giving a chinchilla CPR.

3. We have no clue if Nintendo is just picking the DLC, Sakurai could have some power to picking the DLC, because after all it IS his game, not Nintendo's. Sakurai could open to suggestions about wanting certain characters in as DLC, and for all we know, Joker could've even been a suggestion by Sakurai because he has explained his praise for Persona 5. Joker was quite an interesting pick, especially since the main Persona series is only on PlayStation. Geno is his most wanted, and I'm sure he mentioned Geno if he's talking about suggestions for DLC. With the help of Nintendo on his side this time, he probably has the power to get Geno's rights completely this time, but it's just that we don't know if Nintendo will be up for it or not.

I still find it interesting that there's no sign of any SMRPG soundtrack in the game.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
After his reveal: "I was a Geno supporter the whole time everyone. I was just keeping my expectations low."
I expect this to be almost an actual quote from vergeben "I knew he was in the whole time I just didn't want to say"

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Not to derail the thread or anything, but I am legitimately curious: what exactly is this "cringe/BTFO culture" I keep hearing about? I'm not super savvy in internet social science. Probably for the best, lol. But still curious.
I'm not exactly sure what you might be referring to as cringe culture with that, but I can speak to BTFO (Blown the **** Out if you didn't know) culture. That's basically where people get off on proving themselves right/showing fans of a character that they were wrong to ever support them/whatever. It's contrarian culture and reveling in the disappointment of other people. Pretty much just being an asshole about anything that happens and anybody hoping for a different outcome.

Take the November Direct for example. Afterwards online, a number of people would post images of Geno, Isaac, or the Grinch himself crying with something like; "Grenchers BTFO" or something much less appropriate. It was done to get a rise out of people and enjoy their disappointment, oftentimes as a way of validating either their original stance or just kind of done because they could. The goal is to be able to say BTFO to other people and be as much of an ass is possible basically.

Though speaking of Grinch, I wouldn't compare that situation to the current one with Erdrick. Those are wildly different leaks of wildly different capacities and reactions. Grinch had some inherent issues from the beginning that people could shoot down (I still stick by seven characters being the main indicator of that leak being fake). So far the Atlus information has been corroborated by Panda, so that's led to a bit of an increased interest in this one. That said, there's no physical item to make claims with, just some text information. I'd also argue there's nothing to suggest Erdrick is impossible at this point technically. This leak only gives info on two characters so it is pretty limited.

Not saying I believe it or that we should hold it as gospel, but I think this leak needs to be treated pretty differently from that particular situation for a variety of reasons/the Grinch leak kind of feels like one of the worse community moments looking back on it and I think it's better for us to distance ourselves from it.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Kudos to you man! I'm losing faith in Geno being DLC but this list gives me new hope that he will be in.
Someone has to keep the positivity going! Things have been a little too grim lately.

Then again, it's a little easier for me since I don't follow the trending rumors and leaks. I only follow the good memories of the past 6 months in this thread.

D

Deleted member

Someone has to keep the positivity going! Things have been a little too grim lately.

Then again, it's a little easier for me since I don't follow the trending rumors and leaks. I only follow the good memories of the past 6 months in this thread.
Well said my guy :) Thank you

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Thoughts running through a Geno fan's head:

Why he doesn't have a chance:
• The latest DLC is a third party so all of them will be
• He/She said we're getting Minecraft Grandblue Slinne Sephoroth Erdick
• hE wOuLd HaVe BeEn BaSe RoStEr

Why he has great chances:
• Currently one of the most requested characters, comparable to Ridley and K. Rool
• Popular character in the Brawl Polls (and most polls since)
• He had a notable Mii costume release
• Only Mii Costume with splash screen
• 5 Mii Costumes were upgraded to playable status
• Sakurai admits wanting him since Brawl, says he would be a great addition
• Sakurai bought a robot figurine for animation reference
• Square Enix wouldn't allow any spirits EXCEPT Geno & Mallow
That robot figurine is still the biggest enigma to me. We thought it was for a newcomer, but no one uses a gun or is a robot. The closest thing I can think of would be maybe Ray MkIII's mii costume, but that seems like a stretch...
EDIT: I mean, Inkling uses a gun, but I don't think Sakurai needed the model for them considering he did the mii costume in Smash 4 without it.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That robot figurine is still the biggest enigma to me. We thought it was for a newcomer, but no one uses a gun or is a robot. The closest thing I can think of would be maybe Ray MkIII's mii costume, but that seems like a stretch...
I think the current theory is the Inkling?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Either that, or he was buying it for his collection all along, and was just humoring the journalists asking him about it.

D

Deleted member

They'll just move goalposts to the next character to ****post about never getting in. They adapt like that.
Watch them do that with characters no one asked for

"Goomba will NEVER be a playable character in Smash, no matter how much you ****ing ask for it!"

They, like you said, will try to ****post about another character who isn't in yet, and then they will eventually get to the point when no one cares about the character they whine like a little ***** about

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Ray MkIII is from custom robo. Really good GC game highly recommend.

EDIT: nevermind misinterpreted

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
They'll just move goalposts to the next character to ****post about never getting in. They adapt like that.
Agreed.

There will also be a lot of them talking about how “obvious” Geno being included was, and how they knew all along he was coming. Kinda like how they did with Bayo.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Question for everyone...
Does anyone use the Geno icon in the new smash bros ultimate for your online tag?

I DO!!!

Xigger

Smash Lord
It's a pretty good theory, but it only makes sense for the gun, not the rest of the figurine. If it was for Inkling, any human figurine with a gun would have been much more fitting.

Question for everyone...
Does anyone use the Geno icon in the new smash bros ultimate for your online tag?

I DO!!!
You know it!!

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to derail the thread or anything, but I am legitimately curious: what exactly is this "cringe/BTFO culture" I keep hearing about? I'm not super savvy in internet social science. Probably for the best, lol. But still curious.
More or less people making fun of other people doing weird, awkward, or embarrassing stuff with little to no social awareness. Given how it regularly targets people with ADHD, varying degrees of autism, and other developmental issues, it's every bit as cancerous as it sounds.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Me on discord , talking about potential DLCs characters :Oh what would be BWD stage ? A Star Allies stage would be great , but maybe Sakurai bias will be a problem. Oh , you support Chibi-robo ? Neat ! His game on the GameCube is easily in my top 10 favorite games of all-time! King Boo seem like a logical pi--

Random guy hop in:Geno is looking very unlikely.

Me:
IMG_20181220_223704.jpg

D

Deleted member

Me on discord , talking about potential DLCs characters :Oh what would be BWD stage ? A Star Allies stage would be great , but maybe Sakurai bias will be a problem. Oh , you support Chibi-robo ? Neat ! His game on the GameCube is easily in my top 10 favorite games of all-time! King Boo seem like a logical pi--

Random guy hop in:Geno is looking very unlikely.

Me:View attachment 183738
I know. I agree with Datboigeno Datboigeno when he says there isn't any point in explaining to these ****heads why Geno is likely. They are just trolls that waste your time

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
More or less people making fun of other people doing weird, awkward, or embarrassing stuff with little to no social awareness. Given how it regularly targets people with ADHD, varying degrees of autism, and other developmental issues, it's every bit as cancerous as it sounds.
Kiwi Farms in a nutshell.

I have Geno's icon for my Smash tag, but I haven't played online yet.
Geno has also been my most used spirit.

D

Deleted member

Kiwi Farms in a nutshell.

I have Geno's icon for my Smash tag, but I haven't played online yet.
Geno has also been my most used spirit.
Same, I use the Geno spirit a lot. Almost never unequip it except for a Mother series spirit, and even those times are rare

But if I ever find Ninten's spirit, I will probably change betweem Geno's and his

Last edited by a moderator:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I know. I agree with Datboigeno Datboigeno when he says there isn't any point in explaining to these ****heads why Geno is likely. They are just trolls that waste your time
I know the guy , he wasn't trolling , but it become tiresome to hear this again and again , especially when we weren't even talking about Geno.

I just say :"Yeah duuuuuude , we're going to get Mallow , Booster as a Wario echo and Boshi as a Yoshi echo , he'll be an AT." I don't take them too seriously.
Then again , It's happening with every characters I like.

I just want to talk about the characters I like , let me talk about my edgy batman and CoD pinochio , not talking about "He's unlikely and my character is more likely because what I said is gospel".

I really wonder why Ultimate hype cycle have been this toxic... I wasn't a part of Sm4sh hype cycle , but except some backslash for Dark Pit and Corrin , I didn't saw much negativity about newcomers.
Maybe It's because of twitter? Or discord? Or because we got a LOT of new characters in Sm4sh , compared to Ultimate?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Really? What's his track record?
Predicting stuff from the game awards mostly. Not 100% believing him, but there isn't any reason to say he's wrong, either. He predicted(?) Joker via a tweet/hint thing? It's all very vague, so I'm not entirely sure. Basically, he's a level below PolarPanda/Verge, but a few levels above Hitagi.

D

Deleted member

I know the guy , he wasn't trolling , but it become tiresome to hear this again and again , especially when we weren't even talking about Geno.

I just say :"Yeah duuuuuude , we're going to get Mallow , Booster as a Wario echo and Boshi as a Yoshi echo , he'll be an AT." I don't take them too seriously.
Then again , It's happening with every characters I like.

I just want to talk about the characters I like , let me talk about my edgy batman and CoD pinochio , not talking about "He's unlikely and my character is more likely because what I said is gospel".

I really wonder why Ultimate hype cycle have been this toxic... I wasn't a part of Sm4sh hype cycle , but except some backslash for Dark Pit and Corrin , I didn't saw much negativity about newcomers.
Maybe It's because of twitter? Or discord? Or because we got a LOT of new characters in Sm4sh , compared to Ultimate?
Exactly.

And it's funny how a game created for kids and adults to have fun and have a good time has turned into a hellhole of insults, speculation stress, an absolute avalanche of video game sales and research for copyright and articles with Sakurai, and insiders spoiling the fun of the game, with the need for a character to join a roster of a video game

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Really? What's his track record?
Peekybird has the least amount of credibility than really anybody else. Peeky has never gotten a single thing right that wasn't already leaked by multiple people, and they came out of nowhere with no track record. I feel like the person who created the Twitter account just wanted to troll and made sockpuppet accounts to share their tweets, because they really are just an out-of-nowhere twitter profile. Let me list just a couple things they OUTRIGHT claimed that were fake within the past couple of months:

-November direct featuring Mario Kart Tour, N64 Classic and other announcements. This was made even more fake by the fact that Reggie outright said N64 classic isn't being developed at all right now.

-When the November direct thing didn't happen, he had the weirdest spiral. Things like "remember this was all just stuff I heard, things insiders are saying could be wrong. Do not take my word completely." Which would have been fine to say ahead of time, but the problem is he only started saying he wasn't sure after he was wrong.

-Kept hinting at the characters in the November direct not being leaked. He enjoyed doing this "cryptic" leaks by doing emojis. For a week, he kept spamming the 'no faucet' emoji combination, which he noticed gave everybody the implication that none of the remaining characters had been leaked. He kept claiming to have this information but never shared it besides in those vague emojis.

-Would nonstop hint at Metroid Prime 4 being a VGA centerpiece.

Don't even get me started. The November direct fiasco was the absolute worst. This person is really just an outright troll.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean to be fair though, that feels like what most leaks are. Peekybird just happens to be extra garbage.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I mean to be fair though, that feels like what most leaks are. Peekybird just happens to be extra garbage.
That's why you should only trust people who have verified their connections or proven themselves to be correct the vast majority of the time. It's not worth it if they come out of nowhere or have no verified connections, because that would be a pure gamble leaning to the negative side.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
That's why you should only trust people who have verified their connections or proven themselves to be correct the vast majority of the time. It's not worth it if they come out of nowhere or have no verified connections, because that would be a pure gamble leaning to the negative side.
I mean even with connections you should take what they say with a grain of salt. You'd need to have pretty solid evidence.

D

Deleted member

You implying that we should only trust you? :4pacman:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Not even a Geno fan, but Erdrick is one of the worst possible DLC choices in practically every way. The definition of a character whom nobody ever really wanted, and offers nothing unique in playstyle, nor aesthetically. Geno fans were due their guy just like K. Rool and Ridley (and Banjo) fans were.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
EDIT: I mean, Inkling uses a gun, but I don't think Sakurai needed the model for them considering he did the mii costume in Smash 4 without it.
After the final newcomers were revealed, no one still uses a gun with the similar design as the vifam figure. When I saw some gameplay of Smash Ultimate, I saw the super scope and said to myself, "No, please don't tell me Sakurai just needed that figurine's gun just to redesign the super scope..." And then my idiot self realized that the super scope in Ultimate still looks the same as the original one from 1992, it just only has different shading in Ultimate.

So the good news is we still have no clue what the vifam figure is for. It wasn't for Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon, Incineroar, Joker, or anyone else. Dark Samus doesn't follow this because her design is taken from Samus's, and her gun is obviously different and much bigger than the vifam figurine's gun.

D

Deleted member

After the final newcomers were revealed, no one still uses a gun with the similar design as the vifam figure. When I saw some gameplay of Smash Ultimate, I saw the super scope and said to myself, "No, please don't tell me Sakurai just needed that figurine's gun just to redesign the super scope..." And then my idiot self realized that the super scope in Ultimate still looks the same as the original one from 1992, it just only has different shading in Ultimate.

So the good news is we still have no clue what the vifam figure is for. It wasn't for Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon, Incineroar, Joker, or anyone else. Dark Samus doesn't follow this because her design is taken from Samus's, and her gun is obviously different and much bigger than the vifam figurine's gun.
And the super scope was in Brawl and Smash 4, so the Vifam gun is definitely for something new in this game. It also lines up with the time the DLC was probably decided. I think it was decided before 2017. Arms and XC2 characters couldn't be added even as DLC but Joker was, so I think the DLC was decided before 2017. IIrc, the article about Sakurai buying the Vifam gun was in December of 2016, sooooo.....yeah. Pretty sure one of the DLC is going to be using it, probably Geno

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Agreed.

There will also be a lot of them talking about how “obvious” Geno being included was, and how they knew all along he was coming. Kinda like how they did with Bayo.
I was actually one of the minority that didn't know Bayonetta was coming, nor did I even know who she was. I have yet to play her at all because I always got bodied by her ass in For Glory. Now that she got nerfed in Ultimate, maybe I'll play as her sometime...

Xigger

Smash Lord

A Vifam model that Sakurai used for reference, and a picture of Geno's Mii costume with other gun fighters.

The gun size seems to match Geno's guns. Samus and Mega Man's are much larger, and also didn't need new references. Seems like a really good sign to me!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm having a weird "up" day so I figured I'd go ahead and say that I'll stick with Geno for Smash Ultimate until either the Mii costume returns or it's outright confirmed that he's not one of the five DLC characters. I dunno. Might as well cement this now before my next downer so you ****ers better hold me accountable if I try to jump ship prematurely again.

D

Deleted member

About the rumor of Geno being DLC in NoA, you don't just start a water cooler conversation with some employees about a 22 year old party member unless A) you either are aware of his popularity, which we know greatly that Nintendo is, or B) something is happening. It's huge news either way.

I'm having a weird "up" day so I figured I'd go ahead and say that I'll stick with Geno for Smash Ultimate until either the Mii costume returns or it's outright confirmed that he's not one of the five DLC characters. I dunno. Might as well cement this now before my next downer so you ****ers better hold me accountable if I try to jump ship prematurely again.
Will do, Fatman :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom