• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
You know, I would like to point out something that really speaks volumes about this community. We just found out that Geno could very well have gone into intense negotiations to become the next Square Smash character, something many have been waiting for for years, but we decide to focus more of our attention and frustrations on the idea of Nomura getting disrespected after all of his hard work and dedication to the company. I think that says a lot about the character of the Geno community, and the Smash community in general.
It would be SUPER cool if Nomura got to design Geno in the game, or give notes on his character design. I hope it was purely a "We don't want Disney or so and so company involved" and not "Nah, not gonna do Sora"

beans

Smash Lord
Occam's Razor?

I mean PolarPanda has proven themselves to several people in this thread specifically, however, the SE information is with a grain of salt. Someone came to Polar directly, and this info is not through Polar's source who they trust. So there's no real reason for you to trust the info, but I trust Polar being transparent with us so I don't think they'd lie.

I agree. I wonder if it's a business thing. Like they want fans to only find Square characters and Square music in Square Projects. Playing devil's advocate, why would we give out more than two songs for Cloud? If you want to hear the rest of the amazing Final Fantasy music, this is a sneak peek and you can find the rest in Final Fantasy games and soundtracks. That's all revenue that goes right back to us, directly.

I personally think thats kind of alienating, but it may be an explanation.
Konami: "if you want to hear the rest of the amazing Castlevania music, this is a sneak peek and you can find the rest Castlevania games and sountracks"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It would be SUPER cool if Nomura got to design Geno in the game, or give notes on his character design. I hope it was purely a "We don't want Disney or so and so company involved" and not "Nah, not gonna do Sora"
Yeah, I hope that there was more legitimate justification for the decision rather than just chucking it aside immediately. As for the design thing, there is that one puppet heartless in KH3 who has a similar hat...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
You know, I would like to point out something that really speaks volumes about this community. We just found out that Geno could very well have gone into intense negotiations to become the next Square Smash character, something many have been waiting for for years, but we decide to focus more of our attention and frustrations on the idea of Nomura getting disrespected after all of his hard work and dedication to the company. I think that says a lot about the character of the Geno community, and the Smash community in general.
A lot of it has to do with the fact that we've been there so many times in the past. Regardless if we are a devoted developer or a fan, it is never fun seeing something you love unceremoniously passed aside for something this big.

(And I'm usually the first to throw down with KH fans saying this)

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I was the person who created blog theory and was interviewed by Gamexplain, actually. I've known my contact for quite a long while, however, his info is very sparse and he didn't know how many were left for a long while. He's a blog ambassador, so he typically gets information close to reveals. However, in the past week or so, I've become friends with other people in the community, so I have more contacts than just him. For instance, as was publically disclosed here, I'm friends with Xenother.

Incidentally, I also believed Grinch until he got word of Grinch being fake and Isaac being an AT. For obvious reasons, I began taking his information very seriously and decided to go public with the occasional bit he'd give me. I should have been more trusting when he knew Isabelle was the only reveal in the August direct along with the new AC game being revealed in it as well. So, I won't lie that I had a different public identity before I started to spread his info. That's in the past, however.
You have definitely answered why I should believe you and I put my cautiously optimistic confidence into your source, and thank you for answering my question about blog theory as well.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I pray to the mother almighty that its NOT Sephiroth, i do not wanna have to deal with another broken swordfighter and most of all another damn FF character

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I was the person who created blog theory and was interviewed by Gamexplain, actually. I've known my contact for quite a long while, however, his info is very sparse and he didn't know how many were left for a long while. He's a blog ambassador, so he typically gets information close to reveals. However, in the past week or so, I've become friends with other people in the community, so I have more contacts than just him. For instance, as was publically disclosed here, I'm friends with Xenother.

Incidentally, I also believed Grinch until he got word of Grinch being fake and Isaac being an AT. For obvious reasons, I began taking his information very seriously and decided to go public with the occasional bit he'd give me. I should have been more trusting when he knew Isabelle was the only reveal in the August direct along with the new AC game being revealed in it as well. So, I won't lie that I had a different public identity before I started to spread his info. That's in the past, however.
In any case, I hope we find out who it is soon, whoever it is. I think you need a break my friend.

Konami: "if you want to hear the rest of the amazing Castlevania music, this is a sneak peek and you can find the rest Castlevania games and sountracks"
LMAOO okay while plausible, my counterargument to that is that there are like 30 tracks from Castlevania in Smash. Like Sakurai said in one of the directs, you can literally just go to the music area and stream albums of video game music. Im much less interested to buy or stream a Castlevania album/soundtrack through means that are just Konami, when I already have 5-10 tracks from some of the major games already right there at my disposal.

Yeah, I hope that there was more legitimate justification for the decision rather than just chucking it aside immediately. As for the design thing, there is that one puppet heartless in KH3 who has a similar hat...
Or it could be consolation... Seeing a new take on Geno, if it isn't too far from his original would be very refreshing. and we know Nomura can do that based on his work in Dissidia, which Cloud's SSB4 model was designed after.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, the implication about the whole Sora situation is that, if Kingdom Hearts III wasn't just around the corner, a lot of people would have been flat out fired right then and there. Square was seemingly that pissed. Of course, Nomura's their golden child and he would have been okay but there's also been implications that Nomura respected the decision while it was the supporting staff that stormed the gate, so to speak. "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! WE'LL FIGHT FOR YOU, CAP'N!" "No, guys... it's okay, really... Let's just focus on getting KH III done." That sort of thing. If anything, Nomura probably going to be the guy that stands in and fights to make sure no one is fired once KHIII is released.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I pray to the mother almighty that its NOT Sephiroth, i do not wanna have to deal with another broken swordfighter and most of all another damn FF character
Another FF character would be better than another FE character to be honest, because we have enough FE characters.
That only thing on that Heartless that looks similar to Geno is the face. everything else including the hat doesn't look anything like Geno.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, the implication about the whole Sora situation is that, if Kingdom Hearts III wasn't just around the corner, a lot of people would have been flat out fired right then and there. Square was seemingly that pissed. Of course, Nomura's their golden child and he would have been okay but there's also been implications that Nomura respected the decision while it was the supporting staff that stormed the gate, so to speak. "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! WE'LL FIGHT FOR YOU, CAP'N!" "No, guys... it's okay, really... Let's just focus on getting KH III done." That sort of thing. If anything, Nomura probably going to be the guy that stands in and fights to make sure no one is fired once KHIII is released.
Guess it's time to add this into the book of "Square-Enix act like ******."
Which is a long book at this point. And I can totally understand why would anyone be pissed off at this.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
AGREED TO THE 1000TH POWER

Another FF character would be better than another FE character to be honest, because we have enough FE characters.

True but...not Sephiroth...I"d take Lightning over Sephy.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The 2 considered characters must have been Mallow and Geno , the one who was denied wasn't Sora , it was Bowser.

Alrighty let's be serious. I think this whole situation is very interesting , and that we'll probably get something at the VGA , they didn't chosed the 7th December for nothing. However , they could reveal anything.
They revealed freaking Funky Kong as a playable character in a Wii U port for the Switch.

beans

Smash Lord
I rather not believe it.
It is a extremely **** move to not even entertain the idea, one I cant even see SE doing.
But if Nomura was okay at the end, i guess its fine

Nomura is a sweet man covered in belts with zippers

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Guess it's time to add this into the book of "Square-Enix act like ******."
Which is a long book at this point. And I can totally understand why would anyone be pissed off at this.
Looking at the situation as a whole, I think it was just because of how tense negotiations already were just to get any sort of SE content in Smash. If you step into a boxing match and try to offer someone a cookie, your nose will probably wind up touching your forehead or your ear if you get into the middle of it.

Duck season.

Rabbit season.

Duck season.

Rabbit season.

Squirrel season?

*in unison* TF you just say?!

Uh, I'll just see myself out...

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I just cant see Seph. his sword looks like the size of final destination

NB96

Smash Rookie
I wonder if Geno's special attacks would be the same 4 in his SMRPG moveset with Geno Flash being the final smash. I just don't know which of those specials would give him any recovery. Neither Beam, Whirl, Boost or Blast seem like they could add much vertical movement without departing from the source material.

Last edited:

Lati

Smash Rookie
The 2 considered characters must have been Mallow and Geno , the one who was denied wasn't Sora , it was Bowser.

Alrighty let's be serious. I think this whole situation is very interesting , and that we'll probably get something at the VGA , they didn't chosed the 7th December for nothing. However , they could reveal anything.
They revealed freaking Funky Kong as a playable character in a Wii U port for the Switch.
Regarding VGA stuff, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Piranha Plant is technically our first DLC character, so I doubt they'll reveal the next one until much closer to his release. The game still won't even be officially out yet, so I don't see why they'd drop more DLC announcements - they're more likely to show off Prime 4 or Bayo 3, I'd imagine.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The sword can definitely be downscaled just like Ridley and K. Rool were.
And I've made my point here how it could be downsized. People are taking his crappy expanded universe interpretation as the way to go. Sakurai has been going full on the original game. I think he'll be faithful to the size seen in the final boss battle at the end of the game, if he got chosen.

domriver

Smash Lord
Regarding VGA stuff, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Piranha Plant is technically our first DLC character, so I doubt they'll reveal the next one until much closer to his release. The game still won't even be officially out yet, so I don't see why they'd drop more DLC announcements - they're more likely to show off Prime 4 or Bayo 3, I'd imagine.
uh uh uh maintain the magic.................. LOL

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I just caught up with everything and I gotta say....Wow.

Truly the bomb has been set and dropped. IF indeed this guy is credible (yet the vets have verified the person to be close to Square) then GenoBros, we are so close to the truth. The finish line is in sight.

I don't intend to hype up the situation, but this has been a wild ride from Nov 1st direct.

I will say, It doesn't surprise me that Square would have done Nomura dirty. I remember one other instance where it happened and am trying to find that, but like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said, Nomura was probably chill about it while the staff under him got upset.

Again, what a wild ride!

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
I believe Pirana is special
There was a slot empty in Smash data, between two fighters already included.
I believe it was the plant, and that it was pushed for DLC since it was a low priority.
There was still work done on it due to claims of play testers knowing about it since august.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
And I've made my point here how it could be downsized. People are taking his crappy expanded universe interpretation as the way to go. Sakurai has been going full on the original game. I think he'll be faithful to the size seen in the final boss battle at the end of the game, if he got chosen.
Yeah, sephiroth's sword being that ridiculously long is mostly a meme. In FFVII it was pretty similar in size to cloud's. It's longer in some other appearances like spinoffs, but it's really not that absurd.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, sephiroth's sword being that ridiculously long is mostly a meme. In FFVII it was pretty similar in size to cloud's. It's longer in some other appearances like spinoffs, but it's really not that absurd.
This. Even some smash mods for sephiroth out there are super off and wrong regarding the sword's length. I also don't think the sword range wouldn't be any crazier than PP's range or the Belmonts' range.

beans

Smash Lord
Advent Children pic for reference
AdventChildrenCOMPLETECloudStab.png

Couldnt find a good angle from FF7

beans

Smash Lord
I just caught up with everything and I gotta say....Wow.

Truly the bomb has been set and dropped. IF indeed this guy is credible (yet the vets have verified the person to be close to Square) then GenoBros, we are so close to the truth. The finish line is in sight.

I don't intend to hype up the situation, but this has been a wild ride from Nov 1st direct.

I will say, It doesn't surprise me that Square would have done Nomura dirty. I remember one other instance where it happened and am trying to find that, but like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said, Nomura was probably chill about it while the staff under him got upset.

Again, what a wild ride!
One of the most offensive times was the FF7 remake announcement.
Good it was a planecrash

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It's in the offical art, m8. If that's not enough, it's also the same length in-game.

Attachments

AugustusB

Smash Champion
One of the most offensive times was the FF7 remake announcement.
Good it was a planecrash
I thought it had to do something with the Remake. Still looking, but was it shown to early? Like they wanted more time to touch it up before showing it off?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Your signature gif made that comment priceless.

First off, this movie is trash and should never have existed, and ironically, it is part of the expanded universe. His in-game appearance was shared on this very thread a few pages back.
I mean, he's also holding the sword in front of him; we're not seeing the full length of the thing in this shot. Imagine Sephiroth, with that sword length, putting his all into a sword swing like any good Smash character. That's still some disgusting range.

Could be made to work, yeah, but it's still pretty damn long.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The sword can definitely be downscaled just like Ridley and K. Rool were.
I dunno, man. Sakurai is the kind of guy to think "challenge accepted". :p
Gonna slightly disagree with you all here. While I do think it's possible to downsize Sephiroth's sword and Sakurai could take on that challenge, I feel like so much of his work goes into also staying true to the character. That's why he didn't want Ridley in. If you see how huge Ridley is as a stage hazard last game, THATS his true to form size. Sakurai scaled Ridley down for US, the FANS and Ridley was INCREDIBLY demanded. Sephiroth doesn't have the same demand, so it's less incentive to please fans.

Sephiroth's sword is EXTREMELY long, and we know Sakurai uses Dissidia and does THOROUGH research. I think the Advent Children picture is exaggerating JUUUUUST a bit but not by much. If you look at official FF7 and Dissida art...like...its long. But thats what makes him Sephy. You go TOO short and you have just another generic sword fighter and you risk losing the essence of Sephiroth. You keep the length, and you have a potentially broken character. I think Cloud is different cuz his sword is more wide than it is long. Plus, unless Sakurai wildly changes the playstyle which can happen, he's definitely going to be a character that can apply pressure. It's different from Belmont's reach, who have the longest reach in the game because to my knowledge, their whip doesnt go into an automatic jab combo.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not to beat a dead horse regarding Sora, but I feel like it’s worth keeping in mind regarding this specific situation: Getting Sora into Smash would have meant coordinating/splitting profits with Disney. This is something many people have brought up in regards to why Geno was more likely despite being more obscure comparatively. It really could have just been a no-brainer for SE to not want to jump through so many hoops to get Sora in when they had characters like Sephiroth and Geno that were more in-house. That’s also likely why (if this leak is true) DQ isn’t one of the two names. It’s just easier for them not to have to coordinate with other companies other than Nintendo. This situation was likely less SE dabbing on Nomura and more them opting to take the easier way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom