• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
What I do find odd in all this is, assuming it is Geno. Why put Mallow and Geno as Spirits, not just regular Spirits, but top tier Spirits.
Simple. Nintendo got the rights to arts only. Those maybe what went into the game manual or something.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
True, and after doing a tiny bit of research apparently Cloud's sword is about five to six feet, and Sephy's is about 6 to 8 and I'm assuming that it varies depending on the project. So given that variable, Sakurai could shoot for the lowest, being 6 or if he wants to make it definitively longer than Cloud's being 7.

I only said Sakurai referred to Dissidia for research. And that was primarily in regards to Cloud's character design. Sakurai based Cloud's design off of Dissidia artwork, as stated in the interview with him and Nomura.

I have no idea about the moveset. But if you look at it, Dissidia Cloud and SSB4 Cloud share very similar moves because they're Cloud's moves. Finishing Touch, Climhazard, The little wind shockwave move, his side B multislash move, AND the Limit Break. It's all pretty much the same.

I'm saying that because Sephiroth would GET such delicate treatment is what would make him more difficult to implement than, say, Geno. Yes, Sephiroth is popular, but Ridley was an incredibly high fan demanded character. Sakurai compromised and made it work due to that demand. He would have to do the same with Sephiroth, but I don't think that would be his preferred option is all I'm saying. And I don't think Sephiroth, even with his popularity, has enough sway to make Sakurai prefer him over Geno. Especially because Cloud is arguably kind of representing FF as a whole. You arguably only see one rep from a 3rd party franchise outside of echoes and I think it's that way for a reason. I don't think Sephiroth would be a better sleeper hit than Geno, but he'd probably be a hit nonetheless.

I don't think Dissidia is all he uses, but he does use it. That's a fact. Going off of using Cloud's dissidia design for Smash, if Sephiroth were to be implemented, I'm only assuming he'd do the same. Looking at the Dissidia art...thats a long freaking sword. lmao
When he stated he used Dissidia, he meant Cloud's look. In Dissidia, his sword's size is as big as the expanded universe model, his moveset uses many different moves that didn't even make it into Smash. Yes, there's Cross Slash and FT, but they all work and look different. FT is a projectile that isn't even fatal like in the original game. And just to let you know, CS, Climmhazard are all limit break moves. The Limit charge in Smash to power them up was there to be faithful to the function of it in the original. In Dissida it is kinda like a Final Smash.
I will agree that it might be Sakurai's preffered option, but remember that Nintendo chose the character, not necessarily him. We don't know the extent of Sakurai's influence when picking characters yet.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Simple. Nintendo got the rights to arts only. Those maybe what went into the game manual or something.
Agreed, I think they got the rights to Geno, but to an extent. Just like it happened in Wii U where they got the rights, but to an extent.

It’s very possible that they decided to go with Sephiroth if this is the case. If both Sephiroth and Geno had Spirits then they would be even. However it’s odd Sephiroth is missing and Geno is not. It’s a very interesting and tricky situation.

timbo8

Smash Cadet
i'm not surprise sqaure are the ones that turned sora for smash and honestly i can see nomura leave sqaure in the futureand bring kh with him becuase hosnely sqaure doesnt own kh disney does

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going to make a big-ol theorycraft post later about Geno compiling all the evidence from the past 6 months because, you all know me, I'm absolutely meticulous when it comes to this stuff and like to dissect everything to its smallest components. The reason I'll be doing this is because, even though it took 8 years, everything I had theorycrafted about Geno in Brawl wound up being true. It was nuts and, again, it's what spurred me to rejoin the Geno Smash fanbase with this game in full force. Every seemingly tin foily theory I had back in 2006/2007 was right and I'm willing to do it again. Bottom line: things are looking good for our boy and the only thing stopping him is a final no from Square. Based on the size, I might not get to it until tomorrow...

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm going to make a big-ol theorycraft post later about Geno compiling all the evidence from the past 6 months because, you all know me, I'm absolutely meticulous when it comes to this stuff and like to dissect everything to its smallest components. The reason I'll be doing this is because, even though it took 8 years, everything I had theorycrafted about Geno in Brawl wound up being true. It was nuts and, again, it's what spurred me to rejoin the Geno Smash fanbase with this game in full force. Every seemingly tin foily theory I had back in 2006/2007 was right and I'm willing to do it again. Bottom line: things are looking good for our boy and the only thing stopping him is a final no from Square. Based on the size, I might not get to it until tomorrow...
Godspeed, sir.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
It might also be that sephiroth is simply more definitively square than Geno, who has a more heavy association with nintendo, despite his ownership. I imagine square would jump at any chance to promote their cash cow franchise and rake in some dollars while they're at it.
But Geno's heavy association with Nintendo might also be good for Geno. Square's getting the same cash flow no matter what. It's the same DLC pack.

Probably thinking about who'd make the biggest splash and by result, more DLC money across the gaming community.
Geno is likely to make a bigger smash than Sephiroth in my opinion.

Just want to play Devil's advocate and throw this out there. Anyone know why Sakurai decided to make a Geno spirit be released in the base game? Knowing SE, they love bundling their content with DLC seeing how they'll make bigger profit, so why didn't just bundle the Geno spirit alongside Geno himself? More or less seems like a consolation prize at this rate but I'd like to be proven wrong.
Yeah, this is a very concerning fact. A few weeks ago I was wondering if the rumor Polar heard was that Geno was going to be coming to Smash as a Spirit. However, Sakurai clearly wants Geno in the game, and he knows we want him in the game. His spirit could've been added when he got the rights to Geno's likeness again when making the game. And like someone said before, the Mii Costume is missing. The Spirit may be the only thing he could get for free to return. So potentially instead of the Mii Costume returning, for now (cuz we have to buy that) he could only include the spirit to assure fans Geno still has a presence from before. Every fighter has a spirit, some of them have multiple. Cloud has two spirits in base game, presumably with the potential to level up to legendary. It might also just be simply easier to negotiate Geno's image likeness over Square only properties because Geno IS a Mario character.

So if this recent leak is true, then we'll very likely get one of them playable, and the other as a mii costume.

And I still think a DQ costume is a high possibility.
I honestly hope there's a DQ costume. All the bases would be covered then.

See, the problem is that you're assuming that Sakurai takes more from Dissidia than from Final Fantasy VII. Which he clearly didn't with Cloud, so why assume that Sephiroth would be different?
But I'm...not? I never said Sakurai took more from Dissidia, I just said he based Cloud's appearance off of Dissida. And that's a fact. I don't see why he wouldn't do the same with Sephiroth? Sephiroth's sword is long, no matter how you slice it.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Well, i'm now curious. Good luck with your theory!

beans

Smash Lord
Take your time, talks wont be changing much until the VGA probs

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I cannot wait. You're doing so much greatness for us and I appreciate it so much. Thank you!

D

Deleted member

I think it's Geno. There are Pit and Pikachu spirits, and they are the same character that is playable in the game, spirits are a replacement of trophies, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC, not having a spirit doesn't mean anything. Geno had a Mii costume in Smash 4, but they didn't get the rights to Sephiroth, I think if they wanted to give a consolation prize for Geno fans without him being playable in the future, they would have made him an assist trophy. They got the rights to him, and Geno is a battle token, I am sure they would have included Sephiroth as well to represent FF7 as a token. My money is on Geno. They have the rights to him, Sakurai wants him, and he represents the bonding of Nintendo and Square Enix and the very first Mario RPG game :)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Agreed, I think they got the rights to Geno, but to an extent. Just like it happened in Wii U where they got the rights, but to an extent.

It’s very possible that they decided to go with Sephiroth if this is the case. If both Sephiroth and Geno had Spirits then they would be even. However it’s odd Sephiroth is missing and Geno is not. It’s a very interesting and tricky situation.
Why did you even consider Sephiroth? Cloud's inclusion doesn't mean much to Square (according to your understaning). I mean to a point where they'd bother adding more spirits/art from FF. You know, Aerith would've made much more sense tbh.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Here's the problem with that line of thinking. Out of whatever list, Sakurai chose 5 characters from, we have to remember, Nintendo chose the initial list. Hence why business comes into play here more so than usual.
True, and honestly, incredibly concerning. But also, theorectically, if both Geno and Sephiroth are on that list, im pretty sure the slot would go to Geno for several reasons. Also, given the Isaac backlash, the ballot, the internet, the reaction to the Grinch leak, the fans and Nintendo allegedly listening to fans, I see no reason from a business perspective not to put Geno on that list.

oooooooooooo I'm excited for this

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Opinions aside. Let's not forget that voices outside the core Smash fanbase tend to be heard. And the overall crowd, casuals and Smashers combined ring out b.c. the loudest, especially when it comes to extras like DLC.
I just said he based Cloud's appearance off of Dissida. And that's a fact. I don't see why he wouldn't do the same with Sephiroth? Sephiroth's sword is long, no matter how you slice it.
That's assuming that appearance includes the weaponry. And there's nothing in there suggesting he wouldn't change the weapon size to match its original size, especially since he did something similar with Ridley.

Unless you have something stating specifically that Sakurai would stay true to the weapon in a state that's not even its original form when doing otherwise would cause balancing nightmares?

It's literally that easy to adapt Masamune for Smash with its original size and we have more reason to believe that Sakurai would do that as opposed to not opting for such a solution.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Why did you even consider Sephiroth? Cloud's inclusion doesn't mean much to Square (according to your understaning). I mean to a point where they'd bother adding more spirits/art from FF. You know, Aerith would've made much more sense tbh.
I’m speculating Sephiroth because of the information that has been released on this thread. And no Aerith would not have made more sense, Sephiroth is arguably way more important than Aerith. There’s a reason why in other SE games, Sephiroth has more of an important role.

Yeah, but Sephiroth is supposedly backup in case Geno negotiations fall through, so he may never get the chance.
That hasn’t been confirmed though, we don’t know if Geno is top priority.

Edit: apologies for double posting.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
First off, love the username.

Just wanted to mention that whoever would make the bigger splash all depends on how popular Sephiroth is as a character. I am not well-versed at all with FF, so I have no idea how popular Sephiroth is in the gaming world. I'm not personally calling you out on this, but one thing I did want to point out is that Geno may be popular among us SMRPG and hardcore Smash fans, but how well known is he really outside of that? To the larger Smash Bros and Nintendo audience, there will most definitely be a lot of "who?" if Geno is announced.

Because Nintendo is selecting the DLC, we have to take ourselves out of our "Geno is popular" mindset and shift our perspective to that of a casual Smash fan, who also make up a huge amount of the audience. Will they really know Geno? Will Geno alone make him worthy of raking in mass sales? There are a lot of people out there who don't buy the DLC if they don't know who the character is.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not my big post but my whole thought on the Geno spirit was to give the fans something in the meantime, especially with negotiations being ugly (more on that later). With Mallow attached, I personally think they got the right to SMRPG content, PERIOD, and not just Geno and Mallow because they would need to do this for a stage and music anyways. It's not the same situation as the Mii costume because with the Mii costume the Geno assets and liscensing was literally all they need. With a fighter pass, they'd need all of it. Why not more SMRPG content? Less work for the base game and lots of SMRPG right off the bat would have been suspicious AF because people are already HMMMMM'ing to the tenth degree based on two spirits. Mallow spirit? A little suspicious. A giant outpouring when they couldn't get original art for Cloud? That's like mooning the minister in the middle of a church service. It would be impossible to ignore or blow off.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I’m speculating Sephiroth because of the information that has been released on this thread. And no Aerith would not have made more sense, Sephiroth is arguably way more important than Aerith. There’s a reason why in other SE games, Sephiroth has more of an important role.
I really really doubt Sephiroth. It'd certainly come out as an echo to the majority. I don't think Nintendo wants that, nor its a good sales pitch for the current 5 DLCs. I think it's a really a long road before Sephiroth can join Smash.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Not my big post but my whole thought on the Geno spirit was to give the fans something in the meantime, especially with negotiations being ugly (more on that later). With Mallow attached, I personally think they got the right to SMRPG content, PERIOD, and not just Geno and Mallow because they would need to do this for a stage and music anyways. It's not the same situation as the Mii costume because with the Mii costume the Geno assets and liscensing was literally all they need. With a fighter pass, they'd need all of it. Why not more SMRPG content? Less work for the base game and lots of SMRPG right off the bat would have been suspicious AF because people are already HMMMMM'ing to the tenth degree based on two spirits. Mallow spirit? A little suspicious. A giant outpouring when they couldn't get original art for Cloud? That's like mooning the minister in the middle of a church service. It would be impossible to ignore or blow off.
Just wanna say thank you for your hard work and dedication. It's truly inspiring. :)

timbo8

Smash Cadet
good for geno he desvarbe it and if sephiroth hosnely not hatting on him but you had you best chance to probbly your best characther in smash and make nomura happy but you to stubon to do well square congrats guys i hope nomua and hashimoto leaves and kh with them

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
It's not confirmed, but I'm going off the statements from Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and PolarPanda PolarPanda .
I still want to put emphasis in that I don't fully back the "2 names were finalized" information. It's been thrown around by somebody who messaged my source, yes, but it's not something my source has heard from NoA himself so I can't say I back it completely. The person who gave this info was completely random and simply provided a SquareEnix LinkedIn profile. However, after that whole Grinch debacle, we should know how hesitant we need to be about LinkedIn profiles.

Speculate on it what you will, however. Just know that it's separate than what my source has heard.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
The thing that still sticks in my head is that nintendo was heavily promoting the geno costume, with its own splash screen and segment. But in ultimate, all we offically got was a player token tease. We wouldn't have known geno and mallow were spirits if it wasn't for the data mine. Just seems odd that they wouldn't show them off at all, unless they were planning something bigger. But it could also be just a coincidence, and they didn't think about showing him off over newer character spirits.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Also, given the Isaac backlash, the ballot, the internet, the reaction to the Grinch leak, the fans and Nintendo allegedly listening to fans, I see no reason from a business perspective not to put Geno on that list.
Why? Business wise, that would mean that they think that they've instantly got to backpedal for better business.

I mean, not for nothing, but of course they hear the voices after the backlash, Waluigi being a prime example. Doesn't mean they'll change their minds, and it doesn't gurantee them the bigger rewards. Especially if they're aiming for a character widely known and one that would consistently sell.

Not saying Geno couldn't or wouldn't, but compared to say, Sephiroth, which do you think Nintendo would see as the bigger money maker for the long haul? Especially with his game coming to the Switch next year.

And crucial point to remember: the dlc was decided on prior to Nintendo acknowledging the backlash. Timing be key when it comes to the first wave of DLC.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Opinions aside. Let's not forget that voices outside the core Smash fanbase tend to be heard. And the overall crowd, casuals and Smashers combined ring out b.c. the loudest, especially when it comes to extras like DLC.

That's assuming that appearance includes the weaponry. And there's nothing in there suggesting he wouldn't change the weapon size to match its original size, especially since he did something similar with Ridley.

Unless you have something stating specifically that Sakurai would stay true to the weapon in a state that's not even its original form when doing otherwise would cause balancing nightmares?

It's literally that easy to adapt Masamune for Smash with its original size and we have more reason to believe that Sakurai would do that as opposed to not opting for such a solution.
Okay, opinions aside, whose crying out for Sephiroth...? Casuals and Smashers? Who was requesting Sephiroth before this list? During Smash 4? During Brawl? You even said yourself, only his popularity can keep him afloat next to the demand of other characters. Numerous internet lists, videos, and fan request when speculating DLC have Banjo, Geno, Isaac, and Crash. I'm not denying Sephiroth would make a huge splash, but bigger than Geno? Based on facts? I don't see it lol.

Why wouldn't it include the weaponry? It's a canonical piece of art, from the original character designer, in a more recent, updated game, with updated appearances. You can't say Sakurai only chooses a weapon in it's "original" form because he uses both the Buster Sword and the sword seen in Advent Children. Which means he uses more than the first work as a reference. He has to capture the essence of a character. Sephiroth's essence is, really long sword.

Going to the extent to downsize it doesn't make it "that easy", he still has to downsize it and implement it and make it fair. I think if Sakurai didn't have a choice, then yes, that's what he would do. But as I've stated before, I don't think that would be the option he would choose if it were between Sephiroth and Geno...

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I really really doubt Sephiroth. It'd certainly come out as an echo to the majority. I don't think Nintendo wants that, nor its a good sales pitch for the current 5 DLCs. I think it's a really a long road before Sephiroth can join Smash.
Sephiroth is way far from an echo. Zack Fair is Cloud’s echo not Sephiroth. His moves are extremely different, and you would be surprised how many people do want Sephiroth. Would some people be mad at his inclusion, sure. However there would also be many who would be happy with his inclusion. You have to remember Sephiroth is one of the biggest FF villains of all time. And one of the biggest villains of all time. There are people who haven’t even played FF7 and still know who he is. It would be a good marketing move on both Nintendo’s and Square’s part to include him, as he is extremely well known. I did a poll on a google thread on which villain people preferred the choices were Akuma, Heihachi, Big Boss, Vergil and Sephiroth. Out of those choices Sephiroth beat all the contenders by a huge margin. So I would not dismiss his over all popularity so easily.

Here is more information on Sephiroth and his move sets.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Okay, opinions aside, whose crying out for Sephiroth...? Casuals and Smashers? Who was requesting Sephiroth before this list? During Smash 4? During Brawl? You even said yourself, only his popularity can keep him afloat next to the demand of other characters. Numerous internet lists, videos, and fan request when speculating DLC have Banjo, Geno, Isaac, and Crash. I'm not denying Sephiroth would make a huge splash, but bigger than Geno? Based on facts? I don't see it lol.
I don't think it's a matter of crying out for a character. Did anyone cry out for Corrin? For Bayonetta? Hell even for Cloud when the belief back then was that it was an impossible thing? Nobody cried out loud the names of any of the DLC we got on Smash 4, I don't see why it should be a factor of choice for nintendo this time with Ultimate.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There is a few things that bug me about Sephiroth... Like, why would Sqaure double dip on FFVII? I get there is a Remake coming out(Eventually), but I don't think Smash is the best place to do major advertisement for the game. Plus, every other company always made sure that there secound rep was from a different franchise, as to showcase the variety in there properties. It just sort of bugs me that Square would not do the same. And say what you will about Square's business decisions, but even the likes of Konami understood that plus, as well as Nintendo and Sakurai likely leaning towards that variety mindset as well when it comes to third parties getting in to Smash.

Edit: Fixed one of my sentences.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I also think the Geno costume was Sakurai's way of proving that Geno would sell as a full fledged character. Think of it as a gentleman's bet and, based on the evidence, it's very likely that a good number of the Mii costumes were actually market research. The Mii costume was likely a chance for Sakurai to prove that Geno wasn't a literal who which is likely why the door was slammed in Sakurai's face for Brawl. Square needed hard data to show that Geno would sell Amiibo and/or DLC and this was Sakurai's gambit. Based on the fact that Geno's already in Ultimate while a number of other third party references are just flat out gone bodes well.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Gaz himself is definitely up there. As a mere child, he one shot Mario. I wish someone would do a comic of Gaz growing up. When I think about this it kind of makes me sad because a lot of us are like Gaz, just wanting Geno to come back. He presumably got the toy back but it's not the same, he probably wanted new adventures with Geno like the rest of us.
If Geno does make it in Smash, it's guaranteed that I will make a comic by hand. I have the perfect ending for Gaz if Geno does make it in Smash.
I was thinking about making a sprite comic about Cloud meeting Geno for the first time, but I'll only do these two if Geno makes it. It wouldn't work if Geno didn't make it because it he isn't in as a newcomer.

I actually have a Smithy drawing that I'm currently working on right now. And yeah, I do plan on posting it in here when I'm done, or I could just DM it to anyone who wants to see. Hopefully it'll turn out to be badass like I want it to be.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Why wouldn't it include the weaponry? It's a canonical piece of art, from the original character designer, in a more recent, updated game, with updated appearances. You can't say Sakurai only chooses a weapon in it's "original" form because he uses both the Buster Sword and the sword seen in Advent Children. Which means he uses more than the first work as a reference. He has to capture the essence of a character. Sephiroth's essence is, really long sword.

Going to the extent to downsize it doesn't make it "that easy", he still has to downsize it and implement it and make it fair. I think if Sakurai didn't have a choice, then yes, that's what he would do. But as I've stated before, I don't think that would be the option he would choose if it were between Sephiroth and Geno...
Being real honest here, once I saw Cloud I immediately went for Sephiroth back in Smash 4. And the FF community blew up with those news. Sephiroth would clinch sales for FF fans that aren't from the Nintendo and PSX generation. Sakurai loves the game, and I think he can make him fair and faithful to the original material.
?
First off, Aerith wouldn't be a character given that she isn't an offensive character in the original game. She is a healer.
And Sephiroth would never be an echo dude. The character doesn't have limit breaks. He has his own iconic moves from the original game and normal slashes. He has nothing similar to Cloud.

Why? Business wise, that would mean that they think that they've instantly got to backpedal for better business.

I mean, not for nothing, but of course they hear the voices after the backlash, Waluigi being a prime example. Doesn't mean they'll change their minds, and it doesn't gurantee them the bigger rewards. Especially if they're aiming for a character widely known and one that would consistently sell.

Not saying Geno couldn't or wouldn't, but compared to say, Sephiroth, which do you think Nintendo would see as the bigger money maker for the long haul? Especially with his game coming to the Switch next year.

And crucial point to remember: the dlc was decided on prior to Nintendo acknowledging the backlash. Timing be key when it comes to the first wave of DLC.
Very good point. Given that legal procedures tend to take a good time to finish, the news we got a few weeks ago that DLC was set means that the candidates should have been decided before E3.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I wish I had such a near and dear connection to a character as much as you guys have to Geno.

Like damn, I need to step up my attachment to games.
Ayy, same dude. I love Geno to death, but I don't have a story with him, yet I want him so bad because of just the pure love and passion his fans have for him.

...actually, when I think about it... A character I do have a near and dear connection to is Quote from Cave Story.
Add in: and Tails & Silver from the Sonic series. Or any Sonic characters for that matter, mainly them though.

Hopefully you find your character dude! ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom