• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Okay, so how will we all react if Geno (somehow) isn't the Square rep?
In that scenario, I'll resign myself to the fate that this DLC is more than likely going to be **** and try to enjoy the game for what it is before Steve comes to town.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think that's why there has been a lot of clashes with this too. "Why would Geno be the one chosen to talk about more, especially against Sephiroth, one of the most iconic video game villains out there? Hello?! Are you that profoundly stupid?!" It's that sort of thing and why lines in the sand have been drawn so strongly especially since the source said that nobody knows what was ultimately decided. Going back to my joke yesterday, Welcome to Speculation Hell! One, the other, both, none? Who ****in' knows?! It's a real nail biter no matter how you slice it.
Honestly, what hurt more in this Rumour is that Sora seems to have been the first pick, but Square-Enix was assholes , and even shocked both Nomura and Hashimoto, who's kinda like the VP of Square-Enix lmao, which would be extremely surprising, but also such a ****ty move

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Eh? I don't recall hearing this one. What's the context?
The guy who came to us about this said that Geno was the one they know for sure got discussed for DLC, and that Sephiroth was another one they knew was going to get discussed, with Sora being the one that fell through. Again, this isn't coming from my source or anything, and the person came out of completely nowhere so I wouldn't think on it too much (or name them, for that matter). It's unrelated to my source.
Btw, who shot down Sora? Nintendo or S-E?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Geno vs Sephiroth is definitely David vs Goliath in a general video game scope, but perhaps Geno will conquer and be the chosen one. I'll be great with either though.

beans

Smash Lord
I think that's why there has been a lot of clashes with this too. "Why would Geno be the one chosen to talk about more, especially against Sephiroth, one of the most iconic video game villains out there? Hello?! Are you that profoundly stupid?!" It's that sort of thing and why lines in the sand have been drawn so strongly especially since the source said that nobody knows what was ultimately decided. Going back to my joke yesterday, Welcome to Speculation Hell! One, the other, both, none? Who ****in' knows?! It's a real nail biter no matter how you slice it.
Sounds belieavable.
SE could've let the names on who would be discussed slip, but would make sure that the outcome is a no-no.
If someone comes out with it, they will be sniped.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Honestly from what that JC Rodrigo guy said about DLC I'm positive there's bound to be some interesting characters, and I think Geno is a very real possibility. It could go either way, but I will remain hopeful all the same.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, uh... the person connected to Square Enix that reached out to Polar's source said Sora fell through and the two finalists were Sephiroth and Geno, with Geno being the one that went in for serious negotiations. Like I've been saying, this could all be fake but it connects a ton of dots including events we know that happened and explains things we've been wondering about for months.
It would explain why Verge was hearing Sephiroth a lot at first. And it would corroborate the Mii Costume theory.

However, it wouldn't explain the sudden influx of Dragon Quest information. Where is that coming from? Maybe Spirits? AT? Mii Costume?

I feel like Geno's made it pretty late into the game here, if that stuff's true. I'm pretty proud no matter what the outcome, cuz this character is like 99% buoyed by the fans. However far he's made it, it's all cuz of folks like around here who have supported the guy so long. There's just something appropriate about "wishes" being the thing that sustains him.
Yeah, I love the fact that fans still carry Geno on their back for so long. I feel like that alone is one of the reasons why he should be in. No one's had this kind of traction from an old game. (SMRPG is older than Banjo and GS)

So, here's my thoughts on this: Geno is a spirit in the game, not just any spirit but the highest tier of spirit. Right now, while spirits aren't yet confirmed to be a solid deconfirmation of a character, the fact that Geno's spirit is given such weight makes me think our end result is most likely Sephiroth, especially given the bizarre lack of Final Fantasy spirits. Those would, logically, be added with a Sephiroth DLC, along with hopefully more music (you can't let Sephiroth in the game without One Winged Angel, can you?) and a new stage, which could be Nibelheim or something. In this scenario, the Geno spirit is a compromise in negotiations.

Would love to be wrong, though, Geno is my man. This is also all dependent on Panda's sources being accurate, of course.
I could see this being viable. However, Spirits can be leveled up. Maybe Geno starts on Legendary (he almost has to because theres no art for him to level into) but, for example, Dixie Kong levels up and at her 3rd or 4th level is the art from DKC3. She still gets a Mii Costume hat in game, so for now, I don't think Legendary status really affects DLC potential reps.

beans

Smash Lord
Btw, who shot down Sora? Nintendo or S-E?
Definitely SE
Sora would look like too much of a hassle with a quick look over him.
Nomura is big respected with the Disney talk and he would probaly make it work.
Just makes it even more salty

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, so, if true, Geno made it into the boss's office and I'm a 30 year old man with my voice cracking and eyes welling up as I say it aloud. *big unflattering snort* No matter what happens, you all are great and I'm exceptionally proud to have been a part of this fanbase for all these years.

beans

Smash Lord
Honestly, what hurt more in this Rumour is that Sora seems to have been the first pick, but Square-Enix was ******** , and even shocked both Nomura and Hashimoto, who's kinda like the VP of Square-Enix lmao, which would be extremely surprising, but also such a ****ty move
I kinda had a theory, were the Hashimoto tweet was deleted because it hinted at the possible negotiantions for Sora, but before the quick denial
It would certainly surprise him if it was rejected so easily.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So it's down to Geno and Sephiroth? Those are the two square reps I wanted! Either way I win! I'm so hyped! I know this isn't fully confirmed but it's hard to contain my excitement!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So it's down to Geno and Sephiroth? Those are the two square reps I wanted! Either way I win! I'm so hyped! I know this isn't fully confirmed but it's hard to contain my excitement!
Insert VGA Reveals of a Dragon Quest characters :troll:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Definitely SE
Sora would look like too much of a hassle with a quick look over him.
Nomura is big respected with the Disney talk and he would probaly make it work.
Just makes it even more salty
This sucks ass dude. I feel sorry for Sora fans. :/
And I'm not surprised. I've been following S-E even after their demise, in the hopes of them being reborn, but all I see is their leadership being lost amidst people who lack the love and passion for their own IPs
I don't think the troll face was ever this greatly used.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, what hurt more in this Rumour is that Sora seems to have been the first pick, but Square-Enix was ******** , and even shocked both Nomura and Hashimoto, who's kinda like the VP of Square-Enix lmao, which would be extremely surprising, but also such a ****ty move
I don't think saying no in of itself is a ****ty move, especially with how many factors are involved with Sora. If they did it in a ****ty way, then that is kinda crummy.

beans

Smash Lord
Yeah, so, if true, Geno made it into the boss's office and I'm a 30 year old man with my voice cracking and eyes welling up as I say it aloud. *big unflattering snort* No matter what happens, you all are great and I'm exceptionally proud to have been a part of this fanbase for all these years.
Oh man, what a ****ty day to be raining

I don't think saying no in of itself is a ****ty move, especially with how many factors are involved with Sora. If they did it in a ****ty way, then that is kinda crummy.
Picture it like this:
You create a character that becomes really popular, becoming one of the big names in the companie's legacy, and you continue to work there.
You've been working your ass hard for the company, being involved in several different projects at the same time, one of them was even reavealed without you knowing that you would be the director. When your character has a chance to join into the biggest crossover in gaming and it gets rejected day 1, what would be your reaction?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, the story want that it shocked the creator enought to creator a rally against it.
So I'm sure it was in a perhaps ****ty way. I wouldn't see Hashimoto and Nomura, especially with how the two are actually passionate about the fans and their licences get shocked like that if it was a simple refusal.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I also wonder if the reason Sora was rejected is the reason why, if this is true, DQ wasn't even considered? Too many other people to work with/through? I don't think rejecting Sora is a "screw Sora" move, they might be trying to focus on characters specifically and solely owned by Square...? Although I'm sure Nomura would've wanted to make a Sora a new "Smash Suit" and appearance and THAT would've been REALLY cool.

Wow, when I think about it that way...like...WE did that. WE did. We carried Geno all the way into the Boss's office when they thought we forgot about him. That's pretty powerful.

I'm willing to bet if the Ballot was brought up or had any influence its only more points in Geno's favor. REALLY hoping it's not infinite reach/would have to make the sword not to scale Sephiroth. (sorry Sephy fans)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, the story want that it shocked the creator enought to creator a rally against it.
So I'm sure it was in a perhaps ****ty way. I wouldn't see Hashimoto and Nomura, especially with how the two are actually passionate about the fans and their licences get shocked like that if it was a simple refusal.
I think it more went down in a similar way to how Square left Nintendo. They wanted something(Nintendo to transition to CD's), they were loyal, they worked with Nintendo completely expecting that there call would be heard, and Nintendo just went there own way with no harm really meant.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Slime has officially become a meme.
Watch out. You might end up liking him for his meme status. XD
But I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice how legitimate would you consider this info? I know Polarpanda's stance is that it's fairly untrustworthy. And is there a general consensus among insiders?

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ugh. I would legit hate that. Though not for the reasons you may think.

I absolutely don't want something generic like a Slime, but the worst thing... is the thought of any money from Smash going into that reprehensible composer's pocket.

At least Umetatsu is someone respectful.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
I think it more went down in a similar way to how Square left Nintendo. They wanted something(Nintendo to transition to CD's), they were loyal, they worked with Nintendo completely expecting that there call would be heard, and Nintendo just went there own way with no harm really meant.
I'm pretty sure it was already stated that when the character got rejected and the creator and higher ups reacted, SE doubled down on the reject.
I'm not sure if I remenber it correctly tough

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I don't really even care for Sora but this aspect flat out sucks. By the account, it was really dismissive to the point that it may not have even been discussed. "Hmmm, Sora. Nope. Next..." That sort of thing. It's then implied that Square doubled down because they saw the pushback as insubordination, basically slamming their fists down when it seemed like the creators were actually going to try to start an online campaign to get Square to change their mind. Stereotypical but that would absolutely not fly in Japanese work culture and would be considered a grave insult to authority.

beans

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't really even care for Sora but this aspect flat out sucks. By the account, it was really dismissive to the point that it may not have even been discussed. "Hmmm, Sora. Nope. Next..." That sort of thing. It's then implied that Square doubled down because they saw the pushback as insubordination, basically slamming their fists down when it seemed like the creators were actually going to try to start an online campaign to get Square to change their mind. Stereotypical but that would absolutely not fly in Japanese work culture and would be considered a grave insult to authority.
The fact it sounds dickish its a reason I want it to be fake.
But it is SE and the fact it is something that totally would happen, makes me sad.
How did they come to thus point.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The story coming down to Geno vs Sephiroth. Lol. The most obvious ones of them all in terms of Smash connections.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Oh uh. Yes i was drinking Ice Cap from Timmies. If you have questions, do ping me or contact me on Discord. There's really nothing new i have to say unless it's regarding questions about what we have heard.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
just out of curiosity, why should we trust the sources in this thread?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
So it looks like a no go on Sora. That is unfortunate especially if you thrown in Nomura pleading with Square to reconsider. I will say Square in a way has screwed Nomura over before. He was originally in charge of FF15, then Square moved him to different projects and gave the reigns to Tabata. Nomura was not in favor of this, and to this day he still looks unfavorably at how FF15 turned out.

I still do not think Sora was the one turned down and instead it was Dragon Quest, due to it having way more problems than Sora does. Hopefully The Game Awards will show us who the 2nd Square Rep is. I personally prefer Sephiroth, but Geno would be a great pick also.

Last edited:

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
So it looks liking like a no go on Sora. That is unfortunate especially if you thrown in Nomura pleading with Square to reconsider. I will say Square in a way has screwed Nomura over before. He was originally in charge of FF15, then Square moved him to different projects and gave the reigns to Tabata. Nomura was not in favor of this, and to this day he still looks unfavorably at how FF15 turned out.

I still do not think Sora was the one turned down and instead it was Dragon Quest, due to it having way more problems than Sora does. Hopefully The Game Awards will show us who the 2nd Square Rep is. I personally prefer Sephiroth, but Geno would be a great pick also.
It’s all speculation at this point but not gonna lie, if Sora got in, SE would’ve had to be playing some hardcore 4D chess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom