• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Jeez.. just under 30 pages until we pass the Brawl thread in size. This is absolutely crazy.

What is your favorite memory regarding Smash Bros.? Anything.
-Well, I've already talked about Geno, my cat, here. Reader's Digest version: saved a dying kitten the day before Smash Wii U, coincidentally wiped out all the money I had set aside for everything I needed for it (game, adapter, multiple controllers). Named him Geno because he was presumed dead when he was given to me but he seemed to come back to life if by magic after being in my arms for a few minutes. Plus it was literally Geno for SSB4. God, now I'm choking up at work... Moving on.

-Sleepovers with Smash 64 in middle school and all nighters with Melee in high school.

-Winning my first casual tournament in Melee with Pichu by landing a home run with the homerun bat on a Captain Falcon.

-The Brawl speculation days in general. The E3 06 trailer blew everyone away and the possibilities seemed endless. Fans are a lot more jaded now. Of course, there was the Geno Portfolio, the creation of the Geno Alliance, and my trip to Nintendo of Japan during that time too.

-Sneaking around in the dark in the early morning to access my parents' computer on August 1st, 2007 to be greeted by Ike, the first newcomer after 14 months.

-King Dedede's Brawl reveal. Sat and listened to his Kirby Superstar theme on loop for like an hour and a half afterwards. The second character of my all time top 5 that got into Brawl (Geno, Megaman, Wario, Dedede, and Ridley).

-E3 2013. Villager was a character I had given up on back in 2005 so his reveal was extremely satisfying. Megaman was my second most wanted character since Melee so, again, extremely hype. Wii Fit's reveal was a brilliant troll and I remember the moment I knew I had to decide whether to love or hate the character. I'm glad I went with the former.

-Winning Smash tournaments in the first half of 2016 to pay rent, get groceries, etc. Wii Fit and Villager were my primary mains in Smash 4 and it was cool to be "that guy" when I showed up to tournaments. Aside from a doubles tournament, I never dropped a local in SSB4's lifespan.

Rapid fire responses:

Best character reveal: Wii Fit/Megaman

Best game introduction: Brawl

Most unexpected character I came to like: Ike/Bowser Jr.

Worst reveal: Rosalina (stopped watching halfway through)

Biggest Smash disappointment: Lucario

Most faithful main: Mario (main in 64/Melee/Brawl, secondary in Smash 4)

Deepest cutting cut: Ice Climbers

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Jeez.. just under 30 pages until we pass the Brawl thread in size. This is absolutely crazy.

View attachment 180658

What is your favorite memory regarding Smash Bros.? Anything.
One that sticks out to me was the launch day for Smash Bros. for Wii U. It was a cold Friday, and I had a plan to spend the entire night playing the game with friends once it came in the mail that day. We had the basement to ourselves, so I was able to set chairs up and hook up the Wii U to the back of the TV. The only TV I had ever used for Smash before I bought a new one was an old Sony CRT that weighed a ton, so getting behind it was a real effort, but it was worth it.

Something like this was about right:

Even though we were locked at 720p, it was amazing the first time we turned on the game. It looked so clean compared to Brawl. We tried to unlock as many characters as we could before my friends had to leave, but learning the game with everyone at the same time was such a good experience. Hopefully Ultimate will bring a similar feeling next week. :laugh:
Playing 64, reveals of Melee and Brawl. My favorite part of a Smash game is always unlocking the characters. Also loved playing on Peach's Castle in Melee. It was really fun bouncing people off the castle walls

Edit: Also a lot of the character reveals, such as Megaman

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I have some good memories with Smash.

Smash 64: I remember coming home one day to play N64. I go to the console and see a boxed game "Super Smash Bros". My sister and my great aunt got me a gift for no reason, and it turned out to be something that would really impact my life. Not knowing what it was (I was only eight or so) I remember playing it and absolutely loving it. I was blown away that there were all of my favourite characters in the same game. I got a lot of use out of that game. I remember playing it in my friends basement during sleepovers. So many good memories there.

Melee: Once I heard there was a new Smash for the GameCube, I knew I needed it. The GameCube was the first system I bought myself (I was probably ten at this point). I remember playing it before I even had a memory card, so I had to keep the power turned on. But I played that game to death. Getting all 11 unlockable characters was so much fun because it was before everything was revealed online. Even though I had the guidebook, there was something nice about not having everything about the game spoiled.

Brawl: Nothing will beat waking up every morning to the Dojo updates. I still remember being blown away by newcomers such as Ike, Diddy Kong and Pokemon Trainer. As much as I love the Trailers, there really was something special about waking up seeing "Warning New Challenger Approaches" Knowing any morning could be the day was thrilling. As much as it pains me to say it, the lead up to the game was much better than the actual gaming experience itself. I remember I was at my girlfriend's (at the time) cottage and I told my sister to send me the Brawl updates. It just so happened that while I was away, they revealed Subspace. So she texted me (no pictures because it was still in the era of flip phones) word for word what it said and I was so confused.

Smash 4: I was in university at this point, so I was pretty busy. I didn't have as much time for speculation. But finding out Cloud friggin Stryfe was in Smash to this day gives me chills. I grew up playing Final Fantasy. While I didn't play 7 until later on, it was still the biggest shocker I've had so far. That trailer still does stuff to me. Seeing the reveal trailers became something amazing.

Ultimate: Waking up on August 8 after having one of the roughest nights of my life to find out King K. Rool has FINALLY made it into Smash was something that hit me a lot harder than I ever imagined. The night before I got caught in a flood. I was driving three of my friends back from the Toronto Blue Jays game (I'm Canadian, about an hour south of Toronto). Anyways my NEW car which I only got in November of 2017 got water in the engine and I didn't know it at the time, but totalled the car. I was stuck in Toronto, worrying about my three friends getting home, worrying about getting myself and my car back home. I didn't make it home until after 3:00am. I knew I had a long day ahead of me, but I wasn't going to let it ruin me from watching the Smash Direct. As soon as the first cannonball sound that went off when Sakurai was talking at the end, I had a feeling K. Rool was coming. After the rival portraits showed up, it confirmed what I already suspected, then when I saw Donkey and Diddy, I was 100% certain. As soon as K. Rool dummied Dedede out of the way and Gangplank Galleon started playing, I ugly cried for the first time in a long time. Granted, it was a lot of my emotions from the night before coming out, but this represented something huge in my childhood. Donkey Kong Country was a game both my parents, my sister and I played together. I distinctively remember watching them play the final battle against K. Rool and remember how iconic it was. They were such good memories. So after I went to the dealership, I went to my parents house and showed them and my sister K. Rools reveal trailer.. and I ugly cried again. Honestly, the only thing that would have made it better is if Geno was revealed, but if it wasn't him, I'm really glad it was K. Rool. I think it meant more to me than even I realized, and even though it was a really rough couple of days, that brought a lot of positivity to me, and it'll be something I always remember.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I guess I should contribute to the smash bros memories as well. These are my best memories of each entry
Smash 64: I was only 3 years old when it came out in 1999 but I still remember seeing the commercial for it and laughing so hard! As I got to the age of 4, my dad borrowed an n64 from the church he worked at and brought it home for me and my big brother to play. We loved playing donkey Kong 64 and then after a little while he brought home super smash bros which was the best feeling ever. My first ever character was Yoshi and it was a magical feeling be able to pit Yoshi against link cause my big brother and I would debate who could win. I always had a good time playing it at the church when my dad has to bring back the n64.

Melee
My first experience with melee was when my family and I went on a houseboat trip on some Great Lake (can’t remember which one) back in early 2002 and one of my dads youth group kids brought a GameCube and the game. The big kids would always play and my brother and I were always wanting to watch. We finally got our chance later and yeah at the age of 6, I died a lot and took awhile to get used to the speed of the game. I Finally got my own GameCube in 2006 after saving up for awhile (we owned a ps2) and melee dominated my 5th grade year. I spent countless hours on my weekends playing it so much. I still respect melee as the most pure competitive smash experience.

Brawl
This one was the most hype for me. I was getting into middle school when it was nearing release in 2008. I first head about it in 2005 in 4th grade when my brother just casually walked up to me and said “solid snake is getting into smash” I was of course doubtful but he showed me the video and I freaked out. My dad couldn’t believe it cause he was a huge metal gear solid fan at the time. I then went to follow that brawl website religiously each day after schoo after it went live in 2007 excited to see what would come next be it a stage or character. At the time I was a Huge Sonic fan so I was always picturing sonic being in smash bros. Oct 10 2008 came and I made the mistake of checking the brawl website in my computer class... I basically flipped out and some of my classmates rushed over to see. We were so amazed and overjoyed that sonic made it in! I was also hoping for Star Wolf cause I love Star Fox assault and always wanted more bad guys. I didn’t know he was added to the game till after launch. Unlocking him in Subspace and seeing that reveal had me screaming so loud!!!! Brawl was the first midnight release I went to and my middle school years were completely owned by that game. I also got into competitive smash at the age of 15 in 2011 when my mall opened a new retro game store and decided to host a brawl tournament there. It was a big deal for me cause I always wanted to compete for smash but their was no local scene in my town (and I couldn’t drive so I entered immediately The store was shocked to see over 60 people come and enter! It literally had to be open after hours when the rest of the mall closed up. I got 7th place after ironically losing to a wolf player and became obsessed with becoming a pro since. My best pal Danny and I would always practice to prepare for the next tourney the store would host all throughout high school. One final thing I can thank brawl for was introducing me to golden sun! I was just playing a casual match with friends and Isaac came out as an assist trophy. I just remember thinking Who’s That? I looked up his trophy, then the series, and it became my favorite rpg series shortly after.

Smash 4
I was pretty excited for this one after seeing true trailer at e3 2013 and seeing mega man get in was the best feeling ever. Over the year and a half wait, I was always speculating with my best friends and was still playing brawl competitivey so thankfully that time went by a bit quicker. I was entering college so I basically knew nobody but smash 4 allowed me to meet so many of my close friends I still smash with to this day. I went for the competitive scene again with my main Diddy Kong and placed in the top 8 consistently at my locals. The best memory for smash 4 was finally getting 4th place at the retro game store in 2016 after getting 7th place for almost 5 years. I got to take that photo with the top 5 and take some prize money home which was a breakthrough for my competing experience. Also when cloud was announced for dlc, I was shocked and amazed just like sonic back in brawl. Finally the smash ballot days in 2015 were a lot of fun as I voted for geno and then joined the shantae and Isaac supporters. I never had played the shantae games but thanks to her fans, I discovered some of my favorite 2d platformers. Smash is a series that is so special cause it bring me together with so many friends and rivals.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
My Smash Memories:

N64: Finding two of my current mains, Captain Falcon and Ness.

Melee: Leaving the GameCube on all night so I could unlock Mewtwo with four controllers, I thought it was so cool he was in the game because he was my favorite Pokémon from the First Movie. Seeing Marth and Roy for the first time, thought it was so cool how strong they were in that game.

Brawl: Rubbing it in my friend’s face that Sonic was in the game when he said he wasn’t going to be. :smirk: Lucario being in the game. Snake being in the game.

Wii U/3DS: Seeing Mega Man, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Shulk, Little Mac, Pac-Man’s reveal trailers. Seeing Cloud and Ryu as DLC. Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas coming back.

Ultimate: Trailer reveals for Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon and Richter Belmont, and Ken.

(Oh hey, 800th post)

Kektendo

Smash Rookie
I made an account today, but I have been lurking on here for a while now (without an account). After the Inklings, Geno is my most wanted fighter, and I would be overjoyed to see him in (I even dressed up as him for Halloween). So I give full support to our wooden boi! The only thing I worry about is the following: what if Sakurai knew the SE rep wasn't Geno, but he got the rights for Geno and Mallow for Spirits to "give the fans something" like he did with the Mii Costume?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I made an account today, but I have been lurking on here for a while now (without an account). After the Inklings, Geno is my most wanted fighter, and I would be overjoyed to see him in (I even dressed up as him for Halloween). So I give full support to our wooden boi! The only thing I worry about is the following: what if Sakurai knew the SE rep wasn't Geno, but he got the rights for Geno and Mallow for Spirits to "give the fans something" like he did with the Mii Costume?
Welcome to the Geno Thread!

If that were the case, I think we would have seen his Mii costume come back as well as a Mallow one to drive home 'This is all I could do for you, the fans.'

Let's keep hoping! Also...what is your favorite pie?

Kektendo

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the Geno Thread!

If that were the case, I think we would have seen his Mii costume come back as well as a Mallow one to drive home 'This is all I could do for you, the fans.'

Let's keep hoping! Also...what is your favorite pie?
If Cheescake counts as pie, then cheesecake it is (cheesecake is the best dessert). Lol, the pie stuff was weird. Btw, my favorite color is green and I first encountered Geno from a Smash suggestions video when I was little, and I thought he was really cool. I started really supporting him after the Smash direct in August. My first game was Bowser's Inside Story, a Mario RPG, and I feel like Geno would be best to represent Mario RPG's (Fawful doesn't have much imo).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
N64 - The game that introduced me to Yoshi who was perfect as someone that was a Dinosaur geek when I was a kid
Melee - Got curious on who Marth and Roy was, and decided to pick up FE7 when it came out. Now it's my favorite gaming franchise
Brawl - Open my love for Pikmin. Sad that Olimar didn't work for me gameplay wize.
Smash4 - All the tournaments we had with friends that started playing Smash with Smash4.
Ultimate - Honestly.. nothing really so far. Non of the newcommers has been really on my "most wanted" (that's Banjo and Geno)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In case people haven't seen this:

519 icons
269 related to fighters or assist trophies
250 related to spirits

It's not strong evidence for anything but it's food for thought.
Tin foil hat time:

163 of the spirit related icons are ALTs, bosses, stage elements, part of Final Smashes, Mii costumes, or alternate versions of playable characters.

The remaining 87 are only present in the game as spirits.

8... 7... Guys... It's a countdown. Get ready.

domriver

Smash Lord
Tin foil hat time:

163 of the spirit related icons are ALTs, bosses, stage elements, part of Final Smashes, Mii costumes, or alternate versions of playable characters.

lol grasping much are we Fatmanonice :D jejej

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Tin foil hat time:

But wait, 8+7 is 15
Each fighters pass has 5 fighters
15 divided by 5 is 3...

3 waves of DLC confirmed

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Tin foil hat time:

I myself was looking through the player icons and didn't see anything particualrily odd until I got to the Xenoblade section. Anyone else think it's more than a bit odd that Rex didn't get a player icon, yet Pyra did?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
lol grasping much are we Fatmanonice :D jejej
Man, if I wanted to I could go full blown Alex Jones.

87... Two numbers put together... 8 divided by 2 is 4... Geno is four letters. 7... 7 stars. My God... It all makes sense now... +1 to 8 and you get 9... -1 to 7 and you get 6... 96... four letters to four numbers... 9+6 = 15 +4= 19...1996! *starts hyperventilating*

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I have a theory that having a player icon gets you a higher chance of being dlc than one that aren't. I mean Geno is one yet Mallow isn't, Louie from Pikmin has one. Pyra has one, but not Rex, Ninten has one that's specifically him while Porky and Claus's are different forms, and Bandana Waddle Dee actually got his own despite Sakurai bias.

Just spitballing here.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I have a theory that having a player icon gets you a higher chance of being dlc than one that aren't. I mean Geno is one yet Mallow isn't, Louie from Pikmin has one. Pyra has one, but not Rex, Ninten has one that's specifically him while Porky and Claus's are different forms, and Bandana Waddle Dee actually got his own despite Sakurai bias.

Just spitballing here.
To be fair Porky doesn't have an alternative in game and those are pretty much the only sprites of Claus we have (spoilers) with Masked Man and his kid self. I agree though with Dee and stuff player icons are probably more recognized by Sakurai since those were the ones chosen

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think he is that far off:laugh:. You know, I imagine that if Geno were to be revealed, many of the old Smashboard Geno supporters are likely to resurface and join in. That seems to be a trend with that sort of thing.
They have though. A number of people have messaged me on here and other sites recently including Facebook just to be like "hey man, I remember you from Brawl. Fingers crossed for Geno." It makes me happy that I had a positive impact on people but it also gives me an old man looking out a frosted window pane feeling too, ya know?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
To be fair Porky doesn't have an alternative in game and those are pretty much the only sprites of Claus we have (spoilers) with Masked Man and his kid self. I agree though with Dee and stuff player icons are probably more recognized by Sakurai since those were the ones chosen
Actually, all Mother content has to be approved by Itoi first since Itoi still owns right to the characters, so the fact that ASC is a spirit and not just "Porky" was a deliberate choice. It's also a player icon as well, so I'm pretty positive it's a joke. Also Claus and MM being separate makes sense if you want to avoid spoilers.

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Actually, all Mother content has to be approved by Itoi first since Itoi still owns right to the characters, so the fact that ASC is a spirit and not just "Porky" was a deliberate choice. It's also a player icon as well, so I'm pretty positive it's a joke. Also Claus and MM being separete make sense if you want to avoid spoilers.
No I agree with you. I was just saying since both were there and not just one. And with the Porky thing, yeah I know about that. I'm still not sure since he was a boss in Brawl, but who knows you know? Either way Geno is an icon so that's cool

Edit: you said Claus has a different form, but MM and the other are the only forms he has

Edit again: Nevermind

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
No I agree with you. I was just saying since both were there and not just one. And with the Porky thing, yeah I know about that. I'm still not sure since he was a boss in Brawl, but who knows you know? Either way Geno is an icon so that's cool
Oh jeez, I'm sorry. I have just argued with too many people about Mother characters recently heh...

Edit: Yeah I meant MM as his different form, like he has two different forms and they're both spirits and icons.

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
So what's your guys favorite character from Mario RPG? (besides Geno of course) I like Mallow, but I'm gonna go with Boshi. I don't know why lol.

Also what's your favorite game because why not? Mines Mother 3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd rather eat glass

I love Mega Man but can't use the character for my life
I kind of struck out with my wanted characters in Smash 4. Wanted Little Mac, hate his playstyle (might try him again in Ultimate though). Wanted Palutena, found out that playing her was like playing Brawl Mario but somehow even more mediocre (Brawl Mario's main weakness was that his recovery was total dog ****). Wanted Megaman, could never fully get him down but had him as a secondary behind a lot of other characters. Ironically, the characters that clicked the most for me were Villager (gave up on in 2005), Wii Fit (didn't ask for but, seriously, who did?) and Bowser Jr (I LOATHE the character outside of Smash but couldn't pass up Iggy and his 20k IQ required playstyle).

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So what's your guys favorite character from Mario RPG? (besides Geno of course) I like Mallow, but I'm gonna go with Boshi. I don't know why lol.

Also what's your favorite game because why not? Mines Mother 3
Was always a fan of Yaridovich for some odd reason. Probably his design.

As for games, certainly the Mother series as a whole, but my favorite game from the series changes weekly I swear. Though my fave character has always been Claus.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I just wanted to share this, because this is purely amazing. It made me very happy to see LoopyLupe's evolution from her Seven Star Comics!

https://twitter.com/Loopyyylupe/status/1068263518368075776?s=19
thank you so much for sharing this.

I loved it ! There was a ton of love put into this comic ! I looooooove the art style , and the characters are very expressive.
If she made a physical release of theses comics/drawings , I'll try to buy some of them !

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I find it really odd when gamefaqs users don't trust me, first thing I wake up to. The thing is, I can't give EVERYBODY my source's personal information. I've already given it to so many on here. There is quite literally no chance he haa lied to me, either. His tie with Nintendo is quite literal. He just tells me ANYTHING he hears. He doesn't hide squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom