• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The thing is, people who don't care about Smash wouldn't be hyped no matter what they announce at the VGAs. People who DO care about Smash and go to the VGAs will undoubtedly know who Geno is, he's incredibly popular among literally every Nintendo fan. Announcing a character like Master Chief or something stupid like that would just make Smash fans unhappy and make fans of that character not care, they probably don't even have a switch.
Master Chief is fine as long as Banjo-Kazooie gets in first.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
You seriously think Master Chief in Smash wouldn’t be one of the most objective examples of hype for the game that would fit the VGAs? Because there are few characters that would get such a rise out of literally everyone involved. He may not be a huge request in the Smash community, but that sort of cross over moment would be legendary as all hell no matter how you look at it.

That’s certainly how I perceive that particular situation.
Do you remember Cloud's announcement? Most Smash fans were upset we got a character that's never been on a Nintendo console, and Final Fantasy fans were hyped for like a day or two, then ultimately stopped caring, likely because a lot of them don't even have Smash. It'd be the same thing with Master Chief.

If it were a character that has been on Nintendo consoles and is popular, like Crash or Spyro or something, lots of people would be hype as hell, but I cannot think of a single character that would cause more hype than a character that's been dead for years and people want in Smash. Banjo is the only character that could beat Geno in terms of hype, if you ask me. (This is coming from someone who doesn't care about Banjo at all, for the record.)

Latyon

Smash Cadet
Wait...this does make sense !

Imagine if they reveal Geno & Mallow as a tag Team character at the VGAs , them keeping their spirits in base game , but "locked" seem possible.

And even if it ain't that , we just gotta way for the first DLC to be announced.
Geno and Mallow as a tag team doesn't really make any sense. Besides being in the same game together, the two weren't really a duo in the sense that Ice Climbers or Rosalina and Luma are. They're both very separate characters.

I'd love to see both as fighters but I feel like it wouldn't make any sense to have them as a duo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno and Mallow as a tag team doesn't really make any sense. Besides being in the same game together, the two weren't really a duo in the sense that Ice Climbers or Rosalina and Luma are. They're both very separate characters.

I'd love to see both as fighters but I feel like it wouldn't make any sense to have them as a duo.
Tag teams don't fight together, they take turns fighting

Burr.

Smash Cadet
I have risen from death and holy f ri ck this thread blew up
s o

what did i miss? any good news? bad news? new news from Polar?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Do we know if Cloud's Advent Children spirit is a fighter spirit? If not, then I see no reason why Geno can't have a fighter spirit of an updated model while having his original model as a regular spirit.

The lack of Mario RPG music is what stands out to me most. Yoko Shimamura is on staff. There's so much SF2 music, including remixes. What's stopping Sakurai from licensing an MP3 of Beware the Forest's Mushrooms?

Latyon

Smash Cadet
Tag teams don't fight together, they take turns fighting
Still seems super weird to me to put the two of them together as a tag fighter instead of separate fighters. If they're a tag team, then clearly they each have individual movesets - why combine the two into one when they don't make sense as a pair?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something for you all consider, SSB4 didn't have third party Mii costumes at launch either. The scenario I'm seeing is that Geno's Mii costume is gone because either he was developed into a full character or it'll be part of the package of the Square Enix character. I'm very hard pressed to believe that this game will have absolutely no third party Mii costumes.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Still seems super weird to me to put the two of them together as a tag fighter instead of separate fighters. If they're a tag team, then clearly they each have individual movesets - why combine the two into one when they don't make sense as a pair?
I honestly think Mallow will be somehow involved in Geno's moveset , for his FS as an example.

A tag Team character is the best case scenario , because we have both playable. But yeah , they aren't a duo in their og game.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
If Mallow is part of Geno's moveset, it could be as little as Chrom or Ness/Lucas/Shulk's party members being in the Final Smash... or it could be more like Android 18 in FighterZ, or something like that, where Mallow comes out for certain moves in his basic moveset.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Geno has enough material to stand on his own as a fighter. I love Mallow but trying to implement him into Geno's moveset would be awkward, and there's really not much to justify their dependence on each other besides both being party members in the same game. If both are playable, they should be separate.

I unfortunately don't really see Mallow being worked in as more than a Spirit that unlocks after you purchase Geno.

D

Deleted member

It would be AMAZING if both Geno and Mallow are playable, but I would want them each to be their own character

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
Agh, it’s so annoying how a lot of people on YouTube/Reddit and such jump at the chance to try and “deconfirm” Geno when news like this comes out, even though this doesn’t do much for or against his chances. Anyways, It totally makes sense to me Geno’s mii costume not returning alongside the other 3rd party costumes since Nintendo needed to get permission and pay for using those characters (which they made up for by making them purchasable DLC) like a few others have pointed out. The only remotely concerning thing for me is Geno being a spirit, but that still doesn’t mean much if anything.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Remember Nintendo tweeting if your #teamgeno or #teammallow?

They are associated

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
So no heihachi, geno nor Lloyd mii costumes, confirmed… I hope it means even better news for them (at least for geno and lloyd, i dont care about heihachi at all). They wouldn't get rid of Geno's mii costume if he wasn't gonna get upgraded to playable, so I hope that also applies to Lloyd and we both get playable!
I also have this suspicion that Akira fills the Heihachi quota (If Heihachi doesnt get in as the Namco rep if you perscribe to that theory) because they have similar gi and fighting styles

The VGAs are all about a much broader appeal that encompasses people of all gaming culture. An actual third party character makes much more sense (and Geno is basically only a third party by rights) for the event.

Geno is clearly special to hardcore Nintendo fans. In that sense he’s much more suited to a Nintendo Direct or a special announcement sort of thing that’s more intimately related with Nintendo.

Also, it goes without saying since I’ve talked about this in the thread before, but I don’t entirely believe in Geno’s ability to be hype beyond the hardcore crowd. He’s a you know him or you don’t kind of character. The hardcore supporters and fans like us will eat him up naturally, and our positivity is sure to spread as it always does in these matters. And I’m sure the YouTube reactions will be as overplayed as always. It would be a good chunk of just solid publicity, but I wouldn’t consider him hype in comparisons to most other potential third party reveals or even someone like Ridley who’d been driven into never ever status seemingly prior to this game. The expectation of Geno for this game at this point I think plays against some of his potential hype cause we’ve heard his name so much this cycle.
I dont know if i neccesarily agree with you. Mostly because whenever I look up potential dlc lists and predicitions, a lot of websites list Geno. Even in speculation coming up before the final reveal, a lot of people were speculating Geno. I think the hype has grown so much that even people who don't know him/don't want him at least have an idea of who he is. And even IF he may be a literal who to some audiences, he's attached to the Mario Universe and that alone is enough to get people interested at his inclusion. His inclusion would not only mean a lot to us, his fans, but also to his naysayers who thought he'd never be in, because theyd be proven wrong. (As they were with Ridley for example) You could argue that because K Rool and Ridley got in, Geno's speculation has risen tremendously by everyone. People go to the 'literal who' argument to refute his inclusion,but they must know who he is to say that about him. Also that never stopped him from adding "Duck Hunt Dog" or "Corrin' (I had no idea who Corrin was I just knew she was attached to FE. But thats all I needed to know. All people need to know is Geno is a Mario character)

Something for you all consider, SSB4 didn't have third party Mii costumes at launch either. The scenario I'm seeing is that Geno's Mii costume is gone because either he was developed into a full character or it'll be part of the package of the Square Enix character. I'm very hard pressed to believe that this game will have absolutely no third party Mii costumes.
That's actually kind of reassuring.

I honestly think Mallow will be somehow involved in Geno's moveset , for his FS as an example.

A tag Team character is the best case scenario , because we have both playable. But yeah , they aren't a duo in their og game.
I'd like to see Mallow in Geno's FS. OR replace Geno Boost with calling in Mallow for HP Rain or Thunderbolt

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Agh, it’s so annoying how a lot of people on YouTube/Reddit and such jump at the chance to try and “deconfirm” Geno when news like this comes out, even though this doesn’t do much for or against his chances. Anyways, It totally makes sense to me Geno’s mii costume not returning alongside the other 3rd party costumes since Nintendo needed to get permission and pay for using those characters (which they made up for by making them purchasable DLC) like a few others have pointed out. The only remotely concerning thing for me is Geno being a spirit, but that still doesn’t mean much if anything.
While it can erode our morale, I wouldnt put too much stock in them. Remember there was a time where they all thought that Grinch leak was real...

StormC

Smash Hero
Do you remember Cloud's announcement? Most Smash fans were upset we got a character that's never been on a Nintendo console, and Final Fantasy fans were hyped for like a day or two, then ultimately stopped caring, likely because a lot of them don't even have Smash. It'd be the same thing with Master Chief.
Are you serious? You guys are actively rewriting history now?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I will never argue that Cloud's announcement is probably the biggest reveal in Smash Bros history. But everyone has a different experience with how they handled or their circle of friends handled the Cloud announcement.

I hate the idea of being accused re-writing history when it is not what we do at all. Overall it was a big time announcement but I wouldn't be surprised if people outside of Smash or did not have the Wii U already did not care for the game. Nobody is re-writing history. It isn't like we just magically appear from nowhere. We've been here since Melee.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Even if the spirits is all we get, i will be sad...but on the other hand: SMRPG got as much spirits as FF7. Do you know how crazy that sounds? It's a victory in my book tbh.

StormC

Smash Hero
I will never argue that Cloud's announcement is probably the biggest reveal in Smash Bros history. But everyone has a different experience with how they handled or their circle of friends handled the Cloud announcement.

I hate the idea of being accused re-writing history when it is not what we do at all. Overall it was a big time announcement but I wouldn't be surprised if people outside of Smash or did not have the Wii U already did not care for the game. Nobody is re-writing history. It isn't like we just magically appear from nowhere. We've been here since Melee.
My point of contention is overgeneralizations like "most Smash fans were upset about Cloud" or acting like Final Fantasy isn't such a popular series that there would be tons of overlap with Smash. It makes this thread feel like a real bubble.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
My point of contention is overgeneralizations like "most Smash fans were upset about Cloud" or acting like Final Fantasy isn't such a popular series that there would be tons of overlap with Smash. It makes this thread feel like a real bubble.
Well, remember that anyone with an account can post here, we're not an elite or some sort of.
Don't take everything that is posted here like part of a whole.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Talking from personal experience, really. No one I talked to at the time gave a **** about Cloud. All of my Smash friends at the time were like, "Cloud? Really?" All the people who thought it was awesome didn't even own the game. Maybe you had a different experience, but this is factually what happened to me. And no, I wasn't living under a rock or anything.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey guys, this is a god damn roller coaster and we're going up again with this "Mallow Geno" team, aren't we
You don't have to.

It's just what I've been hoping for since day 1

That's why I'm the geno and mallow thread leader

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Even if the spirits is all we get, i will be sad...but on the other hand: SMRPG got as much spirits as FF7. Do you know how crazy that sounds? It's a victory in my book tbh.
We got more, I think. Cloud only has a fighter spirit, we have both Geno and Mallow.

Also, calling this now: Cloud as a fighter and Midgar as a stage will not be involved in Spirits mode at all, as in no Spirits can possess Cloud as part of their fight and no Spirit fights can take place on Midgar. With the way Square seems to be handling this, it makes sense.

Mainly, I still just have two questions about all this:

-Will Geno’s Mii Costume get a re-release? If so, when?
-What are Geno and Mallow’s Spirit fights going to be?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We got more, I think. Cloud only has a fighter spirit, we have both Geno and Mallow.

Also, calling this now: Cloud as a fighter and Midgar as a stage will not be involved in Spirits mode at all, as in no Spirits can possess Cloud as part of their fight and no Spirit fights can take place on Midgar. With the way Square seems to be handling this, it makes sense.

Mainly, I still just have two questions about all this:

-Will Geno’s Mii Costume get a re-release? If so, when?
-What are Geno and Mallow’s Spirit fights going to be?
I think it's possible not all spirits have spirit fights.

Isn't there an in game shop? Some could be restricted to that

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
You don't have to.

It's just what I've been hoping for since day 1

That's why I'm the geno and mallow thread leader
Hope my cart doesn't derail before getting onto the last phase. I cannot see two SMRPG character coming at the same time, but I do can see them both (a la pkm trainer) or at least, with Mallow on Geno's Final Smash.

I decided to believe, I really don't care about anything else. Remember all the supporting proof along this year? Don't give up! Make your wish!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think it's possible not all spirits have spirit fights.

Isn't there an in game shop? Some could be restricted to that
I would have more on board with this; but now it seems like we have THREE in game maps lol, and it looks like you need quite a lot of spirits to fill up each map, judging by the WOL map.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kind of funny you generalized an entire group of people based on what one person said in order to complain about them generalizing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey I just saw geno isn't a mii costume. Kinda weird.
Think it's a good sign since it makes no sense not to put it back in? :)

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, there probably were a number of people unhyped or outright upset at Cloud's reveal. I definitely saw alot more excitement and hype myself though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With everything going on, something I've thought of is if they decided to go with entirely different Square Enix characters, why would they even bother adding Geno and Mallow's as spirits? For someone as notoriously stingy as Square Enix, why would they bother to liscense off these characters with no payback? Yacht Club Gaming and WayForward are small indie companies that are honestly just happy to be included and Nintendo hardcore promotes their stuff as is while Ubisoft and Koei-Tecmo have active working partnerships with Nintendo ala Kingdom Battle, Hyrule Warriors, and Fire Emblem Warriors. As things stand right now, they're essentially letting Nintendo use the likeness of two of their characters for free. Does that sound like the Square we've come to know?

Without payback, Geno and Mallow's inclusion is a total consolation, practically freebies. If Square was such a pain to work with, why would they throw in free stuff when we're getting a picture that they almost torpedoed the whole deal? From a negotiating standpoint, this makes zero sense for Square Enix to throw in Geno and Mallow like complimentary bottles of water. Nintendo needed Square more than the other way around because Everyone is Here would have been ruined without Cloud. The biggest selling point of this game would have gone **** up without Cloud. Square had the negotiating power in the situation. Square had to concede literally nothing to have leverage the entire time.

StormC

Smash Hero
Kind of funny you generalized an entire group of people based on what one person said in order to complain about them generalizing.
Considering people liked that post, it wasn't just one person sharing that opinion. "You guys" colloquially is different than saying "most Smash fans."

I've seen before people in this thread trying to downplay other Square characters and it really just makes the whole thing unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom