• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Jesus, there are a ton of people in this thread at the moment. (66 users and guests!)

At this point, I just want to see what they can plan to do with Geno's spirit. The lack of Mii Costume really throws a wrench in this whole thing. I don't think you can properly represent him with any current character in the roster but I think most of them are a stretch to begin with like how Sonic with Drills represents Sewing characters in Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
With all this crap that's just been revealed to us, I don't know what to think anymore. I was starting to feel confident about Geno (not to say that I don't, because I still do), but I feel a little less about it. There are a few thoughts that have been going around my mind with this current roller-coaster and I kinda just wanna share them if that okay. All of this will be in my opinion, so feel free to share your thoughts about what I say.

For Geno
- Nintendo might not necessarily take the Spirits in the base game in account when picking the DLC Characters
- If Spirits do deconfirm, then DLC speculation would be far too easy and straightforward, leading to not many surprise DLC characters.
- There's still all the before mentioned pluses for Geno before the datamining was revealed (Other SE reps would have too much trouble, Geno has background with Nintendo, etc.)
- Geno's token IS still suspicious for the small amount of time it was shown in the direct. Possibly a hint or something along those lines.
- The spirit might be a fighter spirit and won't be released in the game until Geno is.
- Square being stingy with their characters and Cloud supposedly being the last character to be added in the base game could help to show that other likely SE Reps would be a pain to add as opposed to Geno.
(EDIT) - No SMRPG tracks found could mean that they are being saved for Geno DLC

Against Geno
- Sakurai mentioned something along the lines of Spirits being a way for unplayable characters to be in the game.
- No other SE Spirits MIGHT mean that they are waiting for the DLC Square Rep
(Can't really think of anything else)

Could be bad or good
- No sign of Mii Costume, this could mean that Geno is either being upgraded, or Square just wants it to be paid DLC again.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
****, this has been an emotional rollercoaster for the ages. I really hope if Geno makes it, they reveal him at the VGAs, because I don't know how much more of this I can take. If Geno doesn't make it in (which will mean ALL OF MY MOST WANTED got snubbed), I'll just be ****ing done.

The discovery of a Geno spirit does not concern me in the slightest. We have literally no reason to assume Spirits are a hard deconfirmation. I don't even think Sakurai chose them all himself. I severely doubt even he would sit through billions of pictures to find 1,300 appropriate ones.

In the end, this is yet another fan rule, in a community known for making fan rules that get BTFO'd hard.

And from what I've heard, damn, Square seemed weirdly unenthusiastic about Cloud returning, judging from how little content they have (Midgar, 2 rips, two Cloud spirits, Geno/Mallow spirits, and of course, Cloud himself). If it was this insane getting them to comply for THIS MUCH, then Sora and a DQ rep seem like they'd be close to impossible to negotiate for DLC. I suppose this also affects Geno too, buy by a much lesser extent, since his copywright isn't as ridiculously hellish, thus making him more plausible by virtue of being, quote, "the lesser of three evils."

Bottom line, I think that we'll get either Geno, or no new Square Enix rep at all (which is honestly pretty likely)
That's what I'm thinking too. Square is hardcore phoning it in which makes me think they won't make the effort to liscense even more characters over. Disney and Armor Project may own Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest respectively but Square has the assets to both so they can't be cut out entirely. They'd have to be involved if those franchises were represented and, on top of that, Square wouldn't be due any royalties because they don't own them. A Sora Amiibo? That's now Disney merch because we've seen this countless times before from T-shirts to those Pop figures; Disney mentioned with Square nowhere in sight. Square Enix only gets money for the actual games that they themselves publish. Same case for Dragon Quest. They'd supply the assets while Armor Project got the money.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
PapaGenos posted a video today (haven’t watched all of it) but he posted links to all spirits and mii costumes so far.

Spirits:
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N

Interestingly, it seems a lot of the fighters have spirits and not as alternate forms, just straight up themselves. Evidenced as both King K. Rool AND Kaptain K. Rool have spirits.

EDIT: Also by the look of this, if Spirits deconfirm then NO ONE is coming to Smash because it feels like everyone is literally here

Mii Costumes:
https://pastebin.com/ZmAnrQJh

Also interestingly, I don’t see Megaman costumes or Akira (aka all 3rd party like we’ve said)

EDIT: also to note, Dixie Kong’s Hat is a Mii option

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright, this may be some good news. When Jon from GX was predicting Geno as DLC after the November direct, he said that Geno had appeared as a spirit. Either he gave away some info too early since he would have known that Geno is a spirit, or he thought that Geno's battle token was a spirit. Either way, he predicted Geno and thought/knew that he was a spirit, and if he has sources, I think he knows that characters who are spirits will be upgraded to playable characters, and that spirits do not deconfirm

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Alright, this may be some good news. When Jon from GX was predicting Geno as DLC after the November direct, he said that Geno had appeared as a spirit. Either he gave away some info too early since he would have known that Geno is a spirit, or he thought that Geno's battle token was a spirit. Either way, he predicted Geno and thought/knew that he was a spirit, and if he has sources, I think he knows that characters who are spirits will be upgraded to playable characters, and that spirits do not deconfirm
Well the immediate conception was absolutely that Geno was a Spirit if he was a player icon. That prevailed basically everywhere until the much larger reveals on Spirits was done and it became clear just how many popular characters were Spirits and Geno’s still hadn’t been seen. That’s when the “just a player icon” status took off a little more definitively.

There’s just nothing there to interpret at all and this insider notion for Jon has definitely gotten way too conspiracy theory like for my tastes. Even if he does know thing, he’d know the community knew of it and would be more likely to disguise that fact, thus again achieving the same goal of not every single word he says needing to be under the microscope.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Tbh Jon’s “hot take”/leak and PolarPanda PolarPanda ’s NoA source has been what’s been giving me the most Hope post-grinch leak. Not to say them being wrong isn’t possible but with them being spot-on about things thus far to then be misled about Geno would be a cosmic kick in the balls.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nah, people just thought the player icons WERE spirits

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've heard that we've seen some spirits that haven't shown up on the big list? Can someone confirm? What would that mean?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One good news is we know that LeakyPandy is again shown to know nothing as he was wrong about Skull Kid being a boss

So, his news about Dragon Quest at VGA's can be thrown out

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Alright so by request of PolarPanda PolarPanda I bring you some news regarding his source.

His source hasn't heard anything new today.

This doesn't change anything as we may hear info in next while.

PolarPanda PolarPanda the list of bosses came out. There's apparently not very many. Which ones did your source say?
I'm not Polar but i recall the source stating that most of the bosses he guessed we're just speculation and not fact. He can speak for that if needed but that's what i know.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I think we've established that there's a 4 billion percent chance that Square is getting paid DLC of some kind so we're just going to have to play the waiting game. So, we've come this far without a hard disconfirmation, I think we have like 3 month tops before we get our answer.
Oh yeah, no doubt. Square likes having their characters as paid DLC, and having Cloud in the base roster for free means they will at least want one of their characters as paid DLC. If there's a third-party Square character that's free in a first or second-party game, expect another Square character for paid DLC because they will want profit.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright so by request of PolarPanda PolarPanda I bring you some news regarding his source.

His source hasn't heard anything new today.

This doesn't change anything as we may hear info in next while.

I'm not Polar but i recall the source stating that most of the bosses he guessed we're just speculation and not fact. He can speak for that if needed but that's what i know.
Yeah, in context, it was conjecture. Basically he knew in early September that Skull Kid and Nightmare were assist trophies and made an educated guess that they'd be bosses ala Rathalos.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's possible; maybe it would be part of the stage.

However, Vergeben also seems to think the info about Minecraft getting a fighter or stage may be a misdirect.
(That's because it's Banjo)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
(That's because it's Banjo)
I really hope it is Banjo. PolarPanda PolarPanda 's source said two highly requested newcomers... All that's on my mind now are:

1. Geno (requested)
2. Banjo and Kazooie (requested)
3. Style Savvy (Nintendo's pick)
4. Monster Hunter character (Nintendo's pick)

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses character (Nintendo's pick)

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I'm much more excited about a Minecraft boss than I was about Steve potentially getting in.

And I guess this bodes well for Banjo? Him getting in would be pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom