• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
There's no way to leak images from the game right now; is there? I kinda wanna see how my favorite communist clown looks in game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if it turns out there is Geno and Mallow spirits are in the game, it could serve as a clue to their inclusion as playable characters. If Cloud is the only character to get spirits apart from them, I seriously doubt Nintendo and Sakurai would pay so much money for just stock art of the two and nothing else since the Mii Fighter costume for Geno is gone.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Geno's mii costume hasn't been spotted yet right? That could be something, since a lot of the ballot requested characters have gotten mii costumes this time

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really wouldn’t expect anything at VGAs. They’re more focused on getting the game into people’s hands and that’s still before release technically. Piranha Plant will still be a couple months out too, so I just don’t see them rushing to reveal anyone at VGAs (and I think that’s probably the least likely venue for someone like Geno anyway) when the game’s base hype is already at a max and just hitting.

Plus I’m sure Nintendo has some other big guns to reveal given they’ve not talked about several games at this point.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Even if it turns out there is Geno and Mallow spirits are in the game, it could serve as a clue to their inclusion as playable characters. If Cloud is the only character to get spirits apart from them, I seriously doubt Nintendo and Sakurai would pay so much money for just stock art of the two and nothing else since the Mii Fighter costume for Geno is gone.
Rex's costume isn't listed anywhere in the files.
3rd Party costumes weren't in the base game of ssb4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really wouldn’t expect anything at VGAs. They’re more focused on getting the game into people’s hands and that’s still before release technically. Piranha Plant will still be a couple months out too, so I just don’t see them rushing to reveal anyone at VGAs (and I think that’s probably the least likely venue for someone like Geno anyway) when the game’s base hype is already at a max and just hitting.

Plus I’m sure Nintendo has some other big guns to reveal given they’ve not talked about several games at this point.
The "least likely" venue for Geno? Why do you say that? Do you know how much hype would be created if he is revealed? Do you know that if Geno is the first reveal, people would be confident to buy the pass since he is a fan favorite and wouldn't be added only for promotional reasons?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The "least likely" venue for Geno? Why do you say that? Do you know how much hype would be created if he is revealed? Do you know that if Geno is the first reveal, people would be confident to buy the pass since he is a fan favorite and wouldn't be added only for promotional reasons?
I don't think they're showing anyone at the VGA's at all but if they did, it most likely wouldn't be Geno.

The VGAs are a ****ing nonsensical program (like all award shows) and the most notable thing Nintendo has shown at the VGA's is playable characters in Tropical Freeze. At most I can see another Evo situation, where they announce a DLC direct or something for the game, and I'm certainly not holding my breath for that

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

At this point I just want to know if a Super Mario 3D World port is being worked on, it's absurd they've gone this long without confirming or denying it.

D

Deleted member

I don't think they're showing anyone at the VGA's at all but if they did, it most likely wouldn't be Geno.

The VGAs are a ****ing nonsensical program (like all award shows) and the most notable thing Nintendo has shown at the VGA's is playable characters in Tropical Freeze. At most I can see another Evo situation, where they announce a DLC direct or something for the game, and I'm certainly not holding my breath for that
I know a reveal isn't likely, but Geno would be an awesome reveal if they choose to have one, there isn't any reason for him to be a weird choice for a reveal

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
So Geno and Mallow are in the game or they got cuted and all that we found is unused or beta info? Any screenshots?

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
They've shown far more than tropical freeze characters at the VGA's. There's been the first gameplay of BoTW, Bayonetta 3's announcement, and the reveal of the Champion's Ballad DLC. A smash character announcement isn't out of the question.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So Geno and Mallow are in the game or they got cuted and all that we found is unused or beta info? Any screenshots?
A Geno and a Mallow spirits were found in the game data (there is a picture several pages before) but not seen yet in Gameplay.

Also , the Geno Mii costume is gone.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So no heihachi, geno nor Lloyd mii costumes, confirmed… I hope it means even better news for them (at least for geno and lloyd, i dont care about heihachi at all). They wouldn't get rid of Geno's mii costume if he wasn't gonna get upgraded to playable, so I hope that also applies to Lloyd and we both get playable!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
No 3rd party costumes.

And spirits might actually deconfirm. As Sakurai stated in the last direct, it was a way to include characters that are not playable. There is a Kaptain K Rool spirit but the name is different, and the WFT spirit is named after the yoga pose. Daisy's spirit isn't equipable because she's playable.. This looks bad guys.

I'm still holding onto a glimmer of hope since Sakurai has been purposely misleading in the past but today makes things look bad. It is still odd that Square is being weird but we still get Geno and Mallow as a spirit.. I wonder if they'll get a special credit at the end like in M&L.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
You know, maybe Mii Costumes will be Purchasable at an Online Store with in-game-currency. Just a though.
Well , we need to buy the base game mii costumes with in-game-currency to unlock them.

If they are removed , It's either because of legal issues (not having enough Time I think) or that they probably are going to be upgraded to playable.
I think third parties don't want to spread confusion , a lot of people think a Mii costume is a deconfirmation , including them in the base game and adding them later as playable character is a weird marketing move.

MattX20

Smash Hero
No 3rd party costumes.

And spirits might actually deconfirm. As Sakurai stated in the last direct, it was a way to include characters that are not playable. There is a Kaptain K Rool spirit but the name is different, and the WFT spirit is named after the yoga pose. Daisy's spirit isn't equipable because she's playable.. This looks bad guys.

I'm still holding onto a glimmer of hope since Sakurai has been purposely misleading in the past but today makes things look bad. It is still odd that Square is being weird but we still get Geno and Mallow as a spirit.. I wonder if they'll get a special credit at the end like in M&L.
We can't treat spirits as definitive deconfirmations of DLC chances for characters until all 5 have been accounted for or if Geno and or Mallow are confirmed as the first DLC.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
We can't treat spirits as definitive deconfirmations of DLC chances for characters until all 5 have been accounted for or if Geno and or Mallow are confirmed as the first DLC.
Furthermore , NINTENDO choosed the DLCs. If one of them is a spirit , I don't think they'll care.
And ... Think about it. There is a billion Spirits of billions of characters ... And all of them are disconfirmed ? Except , for some strange reasons , 2/3 MIA that will strangely be DLC.

I think spirits were added because they couldn't be added as playable fighters AT THE TIME.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
No 3rd party costumes.

That, and I forgot to add that the Square Enix rep has survived a ton of scrutiny up until this point and we shouldn't lose faith in PolarPandas source given how his info has been spot-on til now. It's not over until it's over.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think we've established that there's a 4 billion percent chance that Square is getting paid DLC of some kind so we're just going to have to play the waiting game. So, we've come this far without a hard disconfirmation, I think we have like 3 month tops before we get our answer.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Has anyone heard about this whole "30 character slots discovered" thing?
I haven't heard about it, care to explain?

If echo fighters are on the table for those slots, my previous theory of free/cheap echo fighter DLC is seeming more possible. Being prepared for 2-3 waves of fighter packs and a bunch of echos sounds pretty reasonable to me, even if they don't end up actually doing all 30.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah spirits don't mean **** until all 5 DLC characters are shown. So stop feeling like that assumption of them deconfirming has any solid base at all, cause it doesn't.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The VGAs are all about a much broader appeal that encompasses people of all gaming culture. An actual third party character makes much more sense (and Geno is basically only a third party by rights) for the event.

Geno is clearly special to hardcore Nintendo fans. In that sense he’s much more suited to a Nintendo Direct or a special announcement sort of thing that’s more intimately related with Nintendo.

Also, it goes without saying since I’ve talked about this in the thread before, but I don’t entirely believe in Geno’s ability to be hype beyond the hardcore crowd. He’s a you know him or you don’t kind of character. The hardcore supporters and fans like us will eat him up naturally, and our positivity is sure to spread as it always does in these matters. And I’m sure the YouTube reactions will be as overplayed as always. It would be a good chunk of just solid publicity, but I wouldn’t consider him hype in comparisons to most other potential third party reveals or even someone like Ridley who’d been driven into never ever status seemingly prior to this game. The expectation of Geno for this game at this point I think plays against some of his potential hype cause we’ve heard his name so much this cycle.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
The VGAs are all about a much broader appeal that encompasses people of all gaming culture. An actual third party character makes much more sense (and Geno is basically only a third party by rights) for the event.

Geno is clearly special to hardcore Nintendo fans. In that sense he’s much more suited to a Nintendo Direct or a special announcement sort of thing that’s more intimately related with Nintendo.

Also, it goes without saying since I’ve talked about this in the thread before, but I don’t entirely believe in Geno’s ability to be hype beyond the hardcore crowd. He’s a you know him or you don’t kind of character. The hardcore supporters and fans like us will eat him up naturally, and our positivity is sure to spread as it always does in these matters. And I’m sure the YouTube reactions will be as overplayed as always. It would be a good chunk of just solid publicity, but I wouldn’t consider him hype in comparisons to most other potential third party reveals or even someone like Ridley who’d been driven into never ever status seemingly prior to this game. The expectation of Geno for this game at this point I think plays against some of his potential hype cause we’ve heard his name so much this cycle.
The thing is, people who don't care about Smash wouldn't be hyped no matter what they announce at the VGAs. People who DO care about Smash and go to the VGAs will undoubtedly know who Geno is, he's incredibly popular among literally every Nintendo fan. Announcing a character like Master Chief or something stupid like that would just make Smash fans unhappy and make fans of that character not care, they probably don't even have a switch.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I wonder when the list of spirits and list of DLC were decided. I get the sense that spirits would be decided first, because collecting jpegs is super easy as far as dev time is concerned. But then, it's not like Sakurai went to NIntendo and said "tell us who you want, so long as it's not any one of these 1,100+ characters."

I dunno. I'm just ready to be off this ride. Thankfully it's likely we'll have a final word from Nintendo one way or another with the first announced DLC fighter. (if it's a SE character, of course)

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing I think we keep forgetting about that probably should be taken more seriously now: the Vifam gun. Unless one of the bosses for World of Light uses a gun similar in shape, who else would really use it? The only one that makes sense is Geno, and remember it was back in late December 2016 when the interview with Sakurai was conducted.

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
If Geno’s mii costume really isn’t in the game it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re saving it for his character DLC. Could be part of a deal with Square-Enix? It’s all up in the air at this point though. Not giving up hope.

D

Deleted member

I think Geno's spirit could be a fighter spirit. Daisy is a fighter spirit, and Sakurai and Nintendo might not want his spirit to be shown off until he is announced, so it is possible he could be revealed at the game awards, since (I believe) it will be on December 6th, before the game is released

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The thing is, people who don't care about Smash wouldn't be hyped no matter what they announce at the VGAs. People who DO care about Smash and go to the VGAs will undoubtedly know who Geno is, he's incredibly popular among literally every Nintendo fan. Announcing a character like Master Chief or something stupid like that would just make Smash fans unhappy and make fans of that character not care, they probably don't even have a switch.
You seriously think Master Chief in Smash wouldn’t be one of the most objective examples of hype for the game that would fit the VGAs? Because there are few characters that would get such a rise out of literally everyone involved. He may not be a huge request in the Smash community, but that sort of cross over moment would be legendary as all hell no matter how you look at it.

That’s certainly how I perceive that particular situation.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I actually looked at the list of spirits and I think it means a lot less than we think given literally every playable character has a spirit including their alternate costumes. Characters like Mario and Zelda also have enough variations that you can count them on two hands. So, I think the next thing we should look out for is how Geno's spirit is depicted in the game.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
So I actually looked at the list of spirits and I think it means a lot less than we think given literally every playable character has a spirit including their alternate costumes. Characters like Mario and Zelda also have enough variations that you can count them on two hands. So, I think the next thing we should look out for is how Geno's spirit is depicted in the game.
There’s a full list now? Where? The Wiki one is painfully outdated.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think Geno's spirit could be a fighter spirit. Daisy is a fighter spirit, and Sakurai and Nintendo might not want his spirit to be shown off until he is announced, so it is possible he could be revealed at the game awards, since (I believe) it will be on December 6th, before the game is released
Wait...this does make sense !

Imagine if they reveal Geno & Mallow as a tag Team character at the VGAs , them keeping their spirits in base game , but "locked" seem possible.

And even if it ain't that , we just gotta way for the first DLC to be announced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, for all the grumbling about Wolf not doing anything in SSE, at least he's actually in that Brawl mode, and there wasn't much time to implement him.

Cloud doesn't even have any excuse for being absent from WOL beyond SE being an ass about things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom