• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It just shows how much we don't want the character(s)
I know that, but math wise it is no different from just one >. The thing is, I don't even like math that much, yet seeing that always triggers me like nothing else.

D

Deleted member

I know that, but math wise it is no different from just one >. The thing is, I don't even like math that much, yet seeing that always triggers me like nothing else.
Who says we have to use math in the discussion (well, only when talking about sales of games, but still)? lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Who says we have to use math in the discussion (well, only when talking about sales of games, but still)? lmao
Hey, people relinquished the right to a math free environment when >'s started being thrown around. Also, yeah, the sale numbers as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
spirits.png

Geno is a literal video game icon! Take that haters

Get it

D

Deleted member

One of the most satisfying things that would happen if Geno comes (which I have hope will happen) is finally being able to get revenge on the Sora fans after months of being harassed by them. One even tried to tell me that he is deconfirmed and I am in denial. LMAO

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Reminder

Nintendo choosing the characaters doesn’t kill geno

Nintendo is aware of geno for 3 reasons

One that web icon

Two the anniversary thing

Three the ballot

Bonus there’s imthing you all failed to remember

The Minecraft content isn’t it possible that the Minecraft content is just simply a spirit (Steve/creeper or whatever)

Last edited:

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
My Square Enix desire is as follows:

Geno > Nintendo Era FF rep (Terra specifically) > I don't consider Sora a Square Enix rep, but if Vergeben is then Sora'd fall here. > Crono > Neku > Lara Croft > Agnès > Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) > DQ

I put Dragon Quest at the end because I am very unhappy at how the composer is Anti-LGBTQ. Plus I have a feeling that based on Nintendo's reaction to Mr. Game and Watch I highly doubt they'd want to associate with a war crime denier. That'd be seriously bad PR.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
For me, it’s Geno > Sora with proper Disney representation > an Eidos rep just for the shock > Neku > Slime >another FF rep > any other DQ rep > Sora without proper Disney representation > Chrono.

I’d actually really like Sora if he included Donald and Goofy in certain moves and actually brought a Disney stage/music along with him. But on the other hand, I know that a Smash appearance would most likely stay far, far away from all that and have absolutely no Disney outside of maybe just the keychain, if anything.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm not a big Square Enix guy, so if Geno (or Mallow) doesn't get in, I'm unfortunately not going to be super interested. Not that I'm OPPOSED to any other character, as Square Enix has done a lot for the gaming industry, but Geno and Mallow are the only ones I'm really interested in.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I'm not a big Square Enix guy, so if Geno (or Mallow) don't get in, I'm unfortunately not going to be super interested. Not that I'm OPPOSED to any other character, as Square Enix has done a lot for the gaming industry, but Geno and Mallow are the only ones I'm really interested in.
Saaame
The only other character that I would be happy to buy is Hakurei Reimu.

D

Deleted member

I'm not a big Square Enix guy, so if Geno (or Mallow) don't get in, I'm unfortunately not going to be super interested. Not that I'm OPPOSED to any other character, as Square Enix has done a lot for the gaming industry, but Geno and Mallow are the only ones I'm really interested in.
I agree. I think Chrono would be cool, but not nearly as cool as Geno or Mallow lol

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If I had to make the taunts for Geno, this is what it would be:

Up D-pad: Crosses his arms and nods.
Side D-pad: Spins with his hands in the air. (This taunt should make the same sound effect when you click on one of the star flowers from Star Hill.)
Bottom D-pad: Laugh.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Geno :eek: > Chrono :grin: > Sora :eek: > Neku :) >>>Slime :glare: >>>Chocobo :glare: >>>>>>>Lara Croft :urg: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Literally anything else (common level 1 enemy) :facepalm: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> generic anime swordsman :glare: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Character that isn’t known outside of Japan :confused::hulk:

Emoticons are representative of my reactions for each.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
A lot of y’all seem to really dislike Sora. Fair enough, but he’s one of the best picks objectively from the Square camp for what he represents as the head of a major franchise (I know he’s Disney owned himself) for Square. If you think Sora wouldn’t generate more of a buzz than Geno, you’ve officially been in the echo chamber for too long. Sora is one of the few characters I can see legitimately coming close to Cloud levels of craziness. The only difference is that now he seems possible after Cloud and is thus slightly more reasonable to conceive of.

That said, if they actually got any sort of Disney character for his final Smash, people would go ****ing nuts.

Kingdom Hearts is a massive series, and we cannot write that off. You can try and say, “Well Sora doesn’t have support in Smash.” First off I’ve seen plenty of anecdotal evidence indicating quite the opposite, and with a series the size of Kingdom Hearts... it kind of doesn’t matter. It’s just that big on its own, so we always have to be weary of Sora making it in over Geno despite the various issues there could be in bringing Sora to Smash.

If I’m picking Geno > Slime > Sora > Lara Croft > Everyone Else. Those are the four Square characters I have any interest in whatsoever.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
You're a man of good taste.

Obviously I want Geno the most, if he get's in I'll be happy. If we actually get Crono or someone from FF (like Cecil) I'll be pleased too. And I don't really care about other SE characters.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
While at this point i can only be Motivation, I'm very VERY optimistic about Geno being the SE Rep with everything that I've gathered.

Unless something comes about or contradicts all that I've heard and dug up, I'm highly confident that this DLC Pass will be great. Keep your heads up and let's not hate on each other, Nintendo has clearly heard your cries and i'm hoping it's finally coming into fruits.

(It would be hilarious if they pull a Mewtwo for the VGAs.)

So even if Geno doesn't come as DLC. Be happy that this community has come about and made a splash within the web in discussing SMRPG and Geno as a character. I can personally say it got some people to finally play the game, the more people play this game, the more support the series will get for a form of revival or remake.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm going to say it again , but Nintendo choosed the DLCs.

There is no KH main entries on the Switch or 3DS (Dream Drop Distance was also ported to a KH collection if I recall ) that could sell and benefit Nintendo.

They'll only get the DLCs sales... And I cannot say it enough , a majority of people found the Price for them is Sm4sh stupidly high.
5,99 for a character , a stage , and some music tracks ? That's 10% of the Price and the game , and there is more than 70 characters, 103 stages and 900 music track in the BASE GAME.

Picking Sora is a risky move for Nintendo. Not impossible , but from a buisness perspective , It's risky.
Wherehas someone like Neku could promote TWEWY wich was released for 2 Nintendo console (DS and Switch) and is easier to negotiate (Only Square to deal with.).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Has there been any indication that Sora would be "Cloud levels of hype?" If you want to talk about an echo chamber, I've seen people claim the announcement would be bigger than Ridley's and K. Rool's... You know... Two of the most wanted characters in Smash for almost two decades versus a character that has sort of been wanted for roughly a decade. He's like Bomberman, he's consistent but you'd be nuts to claim that he's Cloud/Sonic/Megaman levels of wanted. Also, important note: being recognizable =/= being wanted. Sure, a lot of people know him but we've seen time and time again that the demand isn't really there.

"Well, casual fans love him!" Okay, show me the hard data then. Is this Nintendo fans? People dump on Daisy and Isabelle for being casual picks but there's also overwhelming evidence that these people are in Nintendo's camp. Kingdom Hearts has three original games on Nintendo handhelds, the last being 6 years ago. All three of these have since been remastered on competitor's systems. By definition you're not going to have Nintendo loyalists with the fanbase and there's no real opportunities to create any because their competitors get the bigger and better versions. Every third party rep in Smash, has Nintendo exclusives, including updated remakes/remasters. Kingdom Hearts does not. Every single Kingdom Hearts game can be readily bought on a competitor's system and that's one of the bigger reasons why it's not a good pick for Smash, regardless of the supposed inclinations of the casual fanbase.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Has there been any indication that Sora would be "Cloud levels of hype?" If you want to talk about an echo chamber, I've seen people claim the announcement would be bigger than Ridley's and K. Rool's... You know... Two of the most wanted characters in Smash for almost two decades versus a character that has sort of been wanted for roughly a decade. He's like Bomberman, he's consistent but you'd be nuts to claim that he's Cloud/Sonic/Megaman levels of wanted. Also, important note: being recognizable =/= being wanted. Sure, a lot of people know him but we've seen time and time again that the demand isn't really there.

"Well, casual fans love him!" Okay, show me the hard data then. Is this Nintendo fans? People dump on Daisy and Isabelle for being casual picks but there's also overwhelming evidence that these people are in Nintendo's camp. Kingdom Hearts has three original games on Nintendo handhelds, the last being 6 years ago. All three of these have since been remastered on competitor's systems. By definition you're not going to have Nintendo loyalists with the fanbase and there's no real opportunities to create any because their competitors get the bigger and better versions. Every third party rep in Smash, has Nintendo exclusives, including updated remakes/remasters. Kingdom Hearts does not. Every single Kingdom Hearts game can be readily bought on a competitor's system and that's one of the bigger reasons why it's not a good pick for Smash, regardless of the supposed inclinations of the casual fanbase.
So much this. For some reason people think popular game series = massive demand for smash. And also as you said, recognizing a character does not at all mean that you want them or that it makes you hype. The sheer number of people that would actually be hype for Geno way surpasses Sora. It seems like people really don't understand what target audiences are. This is a Nintendo all-stars game that generates a ton of its buzz from which fan requested characters are going to be playable. The people putting out these character requests and generating the vast majority of the buzz around the game far and away want Geno over any other SE character.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Saaame
My god, you deserve heaven!
Sadly Reimu has a DQ status here...or worse than that, since at least DQ is heard about in the west, unlike Touhou...that's so sad, I feel she really would bring an unique and interesting gameplay to the table.

Oh, by the way, I feel that Sakurai has something about Geno. I mean, in this iteration Sakurai has shown us that he has pleased fans with the most fanservice ever in Smash history. Taking Ridley, K. Rool, Isabelle, Dark Samus etc. as fighters; and Isaac, Waluigi, Shadow, etc. as assist trophies. Like, the most requested ones have some kind of representation. And Sakurai is well aware that Geno is a fan favorite too. Then, why we haven't seen anything yet? That icon wasn't mean to make fans squee, I think it was more akin to "Ha! You saw that easter egg! 'Conglaturation'" kind of meaning. He has the rights to use it too, and I think at this stage he knows how smash fans work, so if he didn't mean to use it as a fighter but acknowledges his fanbase (as he does), better show it in trailers that he's done for somehow, or the backlash can be huge.
In summary, Sakurai has pleased the most favorite requests in some form, and we haven't seen anything with Geno, while knowing that he's one of the top requests.
Still I don't mean anything with that. I'm just thinking aloud.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Jon from GameXplain seems to be postings about otters (which we assume he does when he has inside info) but this time strangely enough it’s a beaver https://twitter.com/joncomms/status/1063063620798554114?s=21
I could see that month old rumor of two Directs in November being true. Nintendo's having a big dump of games in the next three weeks, leaving 2019 kind of vague with Fire Emblem: 3 Cheese Pizza being first up in Q2. On the downside, I'm not expecting Smash DLC news until at least January. On the upside, the time is just right for Metroid Prime 4 or even Bayonetta 3 or Pikmin 4 news.

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Geno>Anything Else>Sora.

I apologize in advance to any Sora fans, but in all honesty, my personal opinion of Kingdom Hearts is very low. That series is the absolute worst dreck of video gaming. In fact, I feel so strongly about this that I've considered cancelling my DLC Fighter's Pass and just buying the fighters individually if he's announced so I can pretend he doesn't exist.

On a more positive note, I would be happy to see another FF character, as long as they're interesting and separate from Cloud (e.g. Terra.) I would also be happy to see something from Bravely Default or Octopath, which I enjoyed quite a bit recently. I've never played Chrono Trigger, despite being a fan of Square's work in general, but from what I've seen people say about him he sounds interesting.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

See GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman and StormC StormC this is what I was talking about with the list of points I made: Geno would bring more hype and sales than Sora or DQ or Crono or literally any other Square pick. Why is that? Because the fan demand is there and because how we view the company is important.

If Sora or a DQ Rep or Crono or hell even Gex (I love that lizard though) got in, fans would not be happy. Sure, those who love the character might be excited, but overall the majority of the Smash fanbase would rage at the fact that Geno get snubbed a third goddamn time, and this time with Sakurai's tweet all that hate would go straight to Nintendo for letting us down so hard. It would be a massive swell of 'Seriously Nintendo, you can get any Square character in the game and it's literally setup perfectly for us to finally get Geno, and you DON'T GIVE US HIM! YOU SHOULD HAVE LET SAKURAI DO HIS THING!' and hundreds of other variations of the same thing. Contrast that to if Geno makes it; would Sora or Crono fans be that upset about it? Not even remotely, because as many of you have said, Sora is part of the casual audience and as many of those here who are showing why Geno is the most likely pick have already stated, most of Sora's audience comes from competitor consumers. The number of fans that will be like 'Oh man, I really wanted Sora so I had a reason to buy a Switch' is so low that you could likely count it on both your hands and the number of people who would actually get angry is likely not much higher.

As for DQ, even Japan doesn't want a DQ rep in Smash, and Japan is the only one who cares about DQ. Japan wants Geno, the West wants Geno, EU wants Geno...like literally, everyone wants Geno. If Geno doesn't make it in, people will find the theme of 'Everyone is Here' to be a joke. Seriously, I wouldn't be this upset myself, but a lot of people would. Wouldn't you rather do the reverse and have all those people sing your praises about how you are the company most in touch with you fans? If Geno is announced, people will rub it meme-style in the faces of fans of competitors for YEARS! This isn't just Sakurai, whom we love regardless, this is the company of Nintendo. Just because they have a good record right now for giving us what we want doesn't mean they will continue to do so, which is why many of us are nervous despite the evidence. What better way to maintain your image and make cashola to boot than to give us Geno?

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Not to **** on Bomberman but the series was flat out dead up until last year. It was all but gone from the gaming scene for a solid 9 years. Simon beating out Bomberman was totally justified, especially with the initial Ultimate project plan being in 2015.
I wanted Bomberman to be a full fleshed character. Im meh over Simon. Who owns Bomberman>? Is that the Bee symbol company? HUDSON i think - i thought they bankrupted?

Kind of mad at SE for being cheapasses because no new FF music or at least one assist trophy really is a shame. If Geno's in, I hope they can bother to do one music remix at the very least instead of all straight rips.
This. FF maybe their baby but i really hope they told Sakurai just pay us and use whatever the hell you want! I really really hope this is the case but im expecting to be disappointed in some way. LOL

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So much this. For some reason people think popular game series = massive demand for smash. And also as you said, recognizing a character does not at all mean that you want them or that it makes you hype. The sheer number of people that would actually be hype for Geno way surpasses Sora. It seems like people really don't understand what target audiences are. This is a Nintendo all-stars game that generates a ton of its buzz from which fan requested characters are going to be playable. The people putting out these character requests and generating the vast majority of the buzz around the game far and away want Geno over any other SE character.
I'd add to this that the Sora support thread literally has 12 pages. People talking about how well Sora would sell are banking on quite a lot of PlayStation owners also being smash players. And even then, there are many in that group including myself who don't want Sora. Cloud was so popular that many fan polls I saw specifically said "You cannot vote for Cloud or any other final fantasy character" (obviously because he was considered a never ever character). I've never seen that kind of talk about Sora. He'd definitely break the internet, but just because he was unexpected, and not because people want him so much. I know Kingdom hearts would be one of the biggest series in smash. That's undeniable. But I really don't think the demand is there.

StormC

Smash Hero

Where is the indication that Cloud was wanted? There was basically zero traction for Cloud on the ballot. Hell, Sora probably got more votes than Cloud. Yet his inclusion caused an explosion of hype (and some confusion and outrage, lol). People love to see a "worlds collide" scenario, when characters from wildly different universes meet. Sora has been on Nintendo consoles more than Cloud has and tons of people own multiple systems anyway. There are plenty of Nintendo fans who also own Sony systems and enjoy games on it.

Sora also polled highly on a recent Reddit DLC questionnaire (of 6000 responses):

So if you want to talk about fan demand, Sora certainly has it. The series is gearing up for the conclusion to its 17 year long saga, people would very much be excited to see this character in the biggest video game crossover of all time.

Last edited:

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
I think we often forget that people posting on smashboards or other smash centric communities are the vast minority of consumers. I don’t need to dig up sales data on Kingdom Hearts to say it’s a massively popular franchise. Including its main character would turn heads.

I don’t mean for this to be a “I think Sora is better then Geno” thing at all, but anyone saying Sora wouldn’t drive incredible excitement or sales is wishful thinking.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wanted Bomberman to be a full fleshed character. Im meh over Simon. Who owns Bomberman>? Is that the Bee symbol company? HUDSON i think - i thought they bankrupted?

This. FF maybe their baby but i really hope they told Sakurai just pay us and use whatever the hell you want! I really really hope this is the case but im expecting to be disappointed in some way. LOL
Konami bought out Hudson, so they own Bomberman now. They revived the franchise just last year, which was too late for Bomberman to be considered as a playable character in the base game (and apparently also for the currently-announced Fighter Pass, if the rumors of its characters being chosen in around 2016 are true), but Super Bomberman R wasn’t too late to make Bomberman worthy of inclusion as an Assist Trophy! :confused:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe it's a beaver because they eat wood and there is going to be a wooden puppet in the next direct guys.
I love you guys and watch from afar a lot but please don't break your arms trying to reach.

I want your arms intact and you guys in perfectly good health, okay?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
See GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman and StormC StormC this is what I was talking about with the list of points I made: Geno would bring more hype and sales than Sora or DQ or Crono or literally any other Square pick. Why is that? Because the fan demand is there and because how we view the company is important.

If Sora or a DQ Rep or Crono or hell even Gex (I love that lizard though) got in, fans would not be happy. Sure, those who love the character might be excited, but overall the majority of the Smash fanbase would rage at the fact that Geno get snubbed a third goddamn time, and this time with Sakurai's tweet all that hate would go straight to Nintendo for letting us down so hard. It would be a massive swell of 'Seriously Nintendo, you can get any Square character in the game and it's literally setup perfectly for us to finally get Geno, and you DON'T GIVE US HIM! YOU SHOULD HAVE LET SAKURAI DO HIS THING!' and hundreds of other variations of the same thing. Contrast that to if Geno makes it; would Sora or Crono fans be that upset about it? Not even remotely, because as many of you have said, Sora is part of the casual audience and as many of those here who are showing why Geno is the most likely pick have already stated, most of Sora's audience comes from competitor consumers. The number of fans that will be like 'Oh man, I really wanted Sora so I had a reason to buy a Switch' is so low that you could likely count it on both your hands and the number of people who would actually get angry is likely not much higher.

As for DQ, even Japan doesn't want a DQ rep in Smash, and Japan is the only one who cares about DQ. Japan wants Geno, the West wants Geno, EU wants Geno...like literally, everyone wants Geno. If Geno doesn't make it in, people will find the theme of 'Everyone is Here' to be a joke. Seriously, I wouldn't be this upset myself, but a lot of people would. Wouldn't you rather do the reverse and have all those people sing your praises about how you are the company most in touch with you fans? If Geno is announced, people will rub it meme-style in the faces of fans of competitors for YEARS! This isn't just Sakurai, whom we love regardless, this is the company of Nintendo. Just because they have a good record right now for giving us what we want doesn't mean they will continue to do so, which is why many of us are nervous despite the evidence. What better way to maintain your image and make cashola to boot than to give us Geno?
A lot of other massive fanbases did not get their character in Smash, so it won’t be any different if we don’t. And just to be clear, no single character fanbase is ‘the majority of Smash fanbase’. Would some people here rage at Nintendo? Probably. Would everyone on this thread rage at Nintendo? Unlikely. Would the majority of the Smash fanbase rage at Nintendo because one character didn’t get in? No way. We’d probably get a few people from other threads giving their condolences, but that’s it.

The Smash fanbase as a whole isn’t unified in the characters they support.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think we often forget that people posting on smashboards or other smash centric communities are the vast minority of consumers. I don’t need to dig up sales data on Kingdom Hearts to say it’s a massively popular franchise. Including its main character would turn heads.

I don’t mean for this to be a “I think Sora is better then Geno” thing at all, but anyone saying Sora wouldn’t drive incredible excitement or sales is wishful thinking.
We are just trying to use logic and common sense when we say Sora isn't happening.

Above all else, why would anyone want Disney getting involved in Super Smash Bros? Did you not see what happened to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Where is the indication that Cloud was wanted? There was basically zero traction for Cloud on the ballot. Hell, Sora probably got more votes than Cloud. Yet his inclusion caused an explosion of hype (and some confusion and outrage, lol). People love to see a "worlds collide" scenario, when characters from widely different universes meet. Sora has been on Nintendo consoles more than Cloud has and tons of people own multiple systems anyway. There are plenty of Nintendo fans who also own Sony systems and enjoy games on it.

Sora also polled highly on a recent Reddit DLC questionnaire (of 6000 responses):

So if you want to talk about fan demand, Sora certainly has it. The series is gearing up for the conclusion to its 17 year long saga, people would very much be excited to see this character in the biggest video game crossover of all time.
To be fair a big reason why Sora leaped over characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Rex, and Skull Kid is because they were recently deconfirmed and that likely took the wind out of the sails for a lot of their fans. And I also question how much of that Sora demand is due to Vergeben’s leak regarding an SE character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom