• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
What makes you believe that Sora would "break the internet" more than Geno? Geno has a larger fan following for Smash than Sora does, so him making it in is more important for Smash. Yes, Sora would "break the internet," but not as much as Geno would
Kingdom Hearts is a popular series and Sora is one of the most recognizable and iconic video game characters of the last two decades. KH3 is looming and the character/franchise is on everyone's mind. Sora would be talked about by people who don't even play Smash, widening the appeal of the product. Again, compare the way Cloud was received in Smash 4 to practically any other newcomer in that game, half of them probably being more requested than he was. Yet Cloud was the most talked about, because his character and Final Fantasy have such a massive legacy it easily eclipses things like internet polls.

SMRPG is one of my all time favorite games. It's also an RPG from 22 years ago that didn't even release in PAL territories. Geno is an niche character kept alive by diehard fans. Even characters like Ridley and K. Rool would be overshadowed by a Sora announcement. You underestimate him greatly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because Sora absolutely transcends smash requests. Yes, Geno has polled better then Sora. That doesn’t change the fact that we are talking about the main character of a flagship, system-moving franchise who is thought to be impossible to include. This is smash bubble thought at its finest
Kingdom Hearts is a popular series and Sora is one of the most recognizable and iconic video game characters of the last two decades. KH3 is looming and the character/franchise is on everyone's mind. Sora would be talked about by people who don't even play Smash, widening the appeal of the product. Again, compare the way Cloud was received in Smash 4 to practically any other newcomer in that game, half of them probably being more requested than he was. Yet Cloud was the most talked about, because his character and Final Fantasy have such a massive legacy it easily eclipses things like internet polls.

SMRPG is one of my all time favorite games. It's also an RPG from 22 years ago that didn't even release in PAL territories. Geno is an niche character kept alive by diehard fans. Even characters like Ridley and K. Rool would be overshadowed by a Sora announcement. You underestimate him greatly.
I suppose you have some fair points

Edit: Yeah, I see your points, since he would be a more surprising reveal

Edit 2: Actually, no. You are overestimating how important Sora would be over Geno

Last edited by a moderator:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Maybe the topic is who would break the dlc sales, not the internet.
Even if Sora is even more popular, that doesnt matter, would you say that Forniteguy or whatsoever would break the internet even more?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Whose systems though? We've already pointed out that Sora is overwhelmingly in the Sony camp and the last KH game on a Nintendo platform was 6 years ago. "What about Cloud?" He represents Final Fantasy as a whole which has been consistent with retro rereleases/remasters and spin-offs on Nintendo systems since 2002. "What about Ryu?" Virtually the same with Street Fighter V being the only one totally skipping a Nintendo platform. There are absolutely no plans for more KH content on Nintendo platforms at this time so it'd just be pushing customers to competitors.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Red only makes videos that tend to deny Geno. Every video before this one was regarding Sora and how he is more likely than Geno.

I think the whole trailer in reverse thing is as straw grasping as 'the Rathalos tweet is a Golden Sun hint.'

Never mind Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts, but what reason would Nintendo POSSIBLY want to have Chrono Trigger in over Super Mario RPG???

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Even if Sora is even more popular, that doesnt matter, would you say that Forniteguy or whatsoever would break the internet even more?
Sora is not and will never be Cloud levels of breaking the internet. The only characters that would ever reach that pinnacle are Banjo, Mickey Mouse and freaking Goku.

It is safe to say Sora and Geno would provide the same level of hype across the internet.

owjies

Smash Journeyman

Youtuber "Red" is theorizing that the SE rep could actually be Crono

Crono is one of the names Hitagi mentioned.

His theory is based on the fact that the Japanese commercial for Smash is the reverse of the US one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnpmjTMI12c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhEN1zXSNM
I think it's just a neat theory, tbh. At this point, the reversal of the trailer is to Crono as that Rathalos screenshot was to Isaac. The only hint that seemed to mean something was Sakurai's "red eyes" tweet, and that referenced about four things simultaneously.

I will say that I've had Crono in the back of my mind since I read that, "Focus on new IPs and reboot past franchises for the Switch" quote. In fact, Chrono Trigger's director posted a tweet around that time of a Nintendo Switch with the caption, "Top secret mission starts!" Source. Again, that could mean just about anything, and we know that Chrono Trigger has a similar legal spiderweb to Dragon Quest. Crono as a character is also nowhere near a slam dunk as he not only shares a similar relevancy question with Geno but also has almost no presence on the Smash Ballot. Chrono Trigger was also mysteriously absent on the SNES Classic despite having an excellent port on the DS.

Personally, I think Crono would be my second choice for a Square rep behind Geno. Fun fact, I was taking a look at the GameFAQs character battle and Crono is the only member of the "Legend Bracket" (Bottom of page) not in Smash. I feel like he would make more sense than Dragon Quest if we had to get a Toriyama character because of how well regarded that individual game is worldwide. Back on topic though, I still think Geno is the strongest choice for all the reasons we've listed and would have by far the most interesting design/moveset of any of the hinted Square characters.

Just a side note on Hitagi as well. She's also said, "When answered no to the SE reps, it more like they aren't confirmed being real just yet." This is a strange statement to make considering she said she hasn't heard anything about Geno and Sora, while saying she heard things about DQ characters and Crono. If I'm reading that statement correctly, then the characters she hasn't heard anything about may even be more likely. I'm definitely not taking Hitagi seriously just yet.

StormC

Smash Hero
Whose systems though? We've already pointed out that Sora is overwhelmingly in the Sony camp and the last KH game on a Nintendo platform was 6 years ago. "What about Cloud?" He represents Final Fantasy as a whole which has been consistent with retro rereleases/remasters and spin-offs on Nintendo systems since 2002. "What about Ryu?" Virtually the same with Street Fighter V being the only one totally skipping a Nintendo platform. There are absolutely no plans for more KH content on Nintendo platforms at this time so it'd just be pushing customers to competitors.
Brawl came out with Snake and MGS4 content just a few months before MGS4 came out. Nintendo doesn't seem to care.

D

Deleted member

Brawl came out with Snake and MGS4 content just a few months before MGS4 came out. Nintendo doesn't seem to care.
The reason Snake was added in Brawl was because Sakurai and Kojima were buds, Nintendo didn't choose to add in Snake

Last edited by a moderator:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Funny thing is if we see Chrono, it's almost like Sakurai added Goku (or at least, an Akira Toriyama character).

I definitely want Geno but if I had to pick: Chrono > DQ Rep

D

Deleted member

Funny thing is if we see Chrono, it's almost like Sakurai added Goku (or at least, an Akira Toriyama character).

Definitely. Chrono is my third pick for a SE rep, Mallow is my second lol. Geno is my most wanted character

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Just to be clear I am 100% pro Geno. But I want to bring this up as a topic of discussion. One of the reasons given on why Geno is more likely than sora is that Disney and nintendo are going to be competitors in the movie and theme park market. But if this is true then it shows that Disney and Nintendo are also partners. How do we think this impacts the situation, if any?

D

Deleted member

Just to be clear I am 100% pro Geno. But I want to bring this up as a topic of discussion. One of the reasons given on why Geno is more likely than sora is that Disney and nintendo are going to be competitors in the movie and theme park market. But if this is true then it shows that Disney and Nintendo are also partners. How do we think this impacts the situation, if any?
Well, I still wouldn't worry for Geno, since Sora would be a Disney rep rather than a Square Enix rep, and Vergeben specifically said a Square Enix rep. Man, I thought that Nintendo and Disney didn't have a good relationship at the moment. The director of Kingdom Hearts said that he won't consider having KH3 on the Switch until after it releases, and some KH developers don't want it on the Switch. Some of the Square Enix developers said they want it on the Switch, but they usually don't say that if they are able to do it, since they like to keep things a surprise

owjies

Smash Journeyman
It might be a similar situation to Nintendo and Microsoft. They may be console competitors, but they are working together to a point on Minecraft. We might even see some combination of Minecraft and/or Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. With Sora, I think it boils down to having literally Goofy, Donald, and other Disney characters in a Smash Bros. game. Can Sakurai faithfully represent Sora without overtly referencing Disney? If not, how willing is Nintendo to pay big bucks to license those characters when there's no sign of Kingdom Hearts coming to the Switch yet.

StormC

Smash Hero
The reason Snake was added in Brawl was because Sakurai and Kojima were buds, Nintendo didn't choose to add in Snake
Nintendo published the game and paid Sakurai's salary. If they felt having a character who advertised a huge PS3 game was a problem, they would have stepped in, but clearly that wasn't the case.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo published the game and paid Sakurai's salary. If they felt having a character who advertised a huge PS3 game was a problem, they would have stepped in, but clearly that wasn't the case.
Nintendo was okay with it, but they didn't choose to add Snake. If Sakurai and Kojima weren't buds, then Snake probably wouldn't have made it. Since Sakurai and Kojima were friends, he put Snake in Smash, and I believe Nintendo was okay with that, since Sakurai and Kojima were buds

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Snake wasn't paid DLC and the Twin Snakes was only two years old when he was announced. Plus, this was before eShops so buying older games was literally a treasure hunt or jumping on eBay, not likely contributing to an avalanche of sales anyways. Furthermore, this was 12 years ago now and Snake was cut from Smash 4.

Add in: SMRPG wasn't initially released in Europe but it was released on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console for Europe and was including on the European version of the SNES Classic.

Another add in: The Switch Showdown already happened and it was explicitly promoting Nintendo games. Sora in Smash would be the exact opposite of this for the most part.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Fortnite, for all its playerbase, doesn’t appear to actually be popular with gamers. While massive, I’d compare its audience with something like Minecraft or Candy Crush, where they only play that game and then move on with their lives. I don’t see that being too exciting for many.

Plus, I think Nintendo are savvy enough to avoid the obvious backlash.

I can’t find evidence of any Final Fantasy title coming out on 3DS or Wii U (besides Virtual Console). If there isn’t any, how’s that for support?

Likewise, the only Street Fighter title on the 3DS is a port of SSF4. Nothing on Wii U.

Compare it to that, and Kingdom Hearts releasing a timed exclusive, new, important title 6 years ago feels much more important.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Let’s not start with revisionist history. Simon is and always was a beloved character in gaming, but the demand for him was negligible before Vergeben leaked him (I know because I was there). Bomberman was much more in demand with Smash fans, and definitely performed better in the ballot. In fact, this whole situation is eerily similar. You have the fan favorite, the character people vote for in ballots and polls and campaign for for years (Bomberman/Geno), and the one that has the most mass appeal, from a legendary franchise with big pedigree (Simon/Sora or DQ rep). At least for the former case, it was the mass appeal one that got in.
While Bomberman did have more votes than Simon Belmont, you can't forget that Castlevania is a huge part of Nintendo history; in short words, Castlevania did better than Bomberman on Nintendo consoles.. I can see why Nintendo or Sakurai decided to choose Simon over Bomberman. I really don't want to bring more sales into this, but the whole Castlevania series has over 20 million game sold, and Bomberman only has about 10 million games sold. Nintendo and Konami knows there's a huge difference when comparing these two franchises, but @Zack E. is correct, Simon is a gaming legend and more known around the world compared to Bomberman. Even one of my old high school teachers said he loved Castlevania on the NES.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
While Bomberman did have more votes than Simon Belmont, you can't forget that Castlevania is a huge part of Nintendo history; in short words, Castlevania did better than Bomberman on Nintendo consoles.. I can see why Nintendo or Sakurai decided to choose Simon over Bomberman. I really don't want to bring more sales into this, but the whole Castlevania series has over 20 million game sold, and Bomberman only has about 10 million games sold. Nintendo and Konami knows there's a huge difference when comparing these two franchises, but @Zack E. is correct, Simon is a gaming legend and more known around the world compared to Bomberman. Even one of my old high school teachers said he loved Castlevania on the NES.
Bomberman also has a huge amount of history with Nintendo — most of his games are on Nintendo systems.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno - Crono/ Terra - Dragon Quest - Sora

Order from want most to want least

Sora used to be higher but his fans ruined the character for me

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to **** on Bomberman but the series was flat out dead up until last year. It was all but gone from the gaming scene for a solid 9 years. Simon beating out Bomberman was totally justified, especially with the initial Ultimate project plan being in 2015.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Geno - Crono/ Terra - Dragon Quest - Sora

Order from want most to want least

Sora used to be higher but his fans ruined the character for me
Geno - Black Mage/Cecil/Locke/Warrior of Light/Kain/Terra - Crono - DQ Rep - Sora

I find Kingdom Hearts' gameplay a TON of fun, but the world and how it operates and its rules and story.......no. I'll pass 1000 times over. I can honestly say I play Kingdom Hearts despite the story, which is weird.

And sadly, Nintendo doesn't seem to show much loves for FFIV or FFVI or FFI very often. :/

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know it's probably not hinting at a new character at all

They are still advertising the base game. It's probably something in the game's story mode or whatever

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It's 99% Geno would sell more than DQ, though. DQ sells amazing in Japan but sells piss-poor in the west. No lie, you should look at DQ sales. You should also notice that SMRPG is the 11th best selling Enix game of all time, and none of the games that beat it in terms of sales were DQ (only a bunch of final fantasy titles and a couple tomb raider titles). Therefore, the mass demand for Geno in all regions + SMRPG as a game being incredibly successful, lead me to believe he would make much more money. Of course we can't say 100% that he would sell more, but everything points to that he would do incredibly well. He would actually make tons of money in all regions, instead of being very successful in one and not successful in all others. Just my thoughts, though.
Don't forget, Dragon Quest content in Smash is relatively low-demand even in Japan, the only place that cares about it anymore. Seems a DQ character would be a sour note to begin on across the grid. Even if the SE rep isn't the first DLC announced, someone like Erdrick or Slime would evoke such a lukewarm reaction that I seriously doubt they'd sell anywhere near as well as someone like Geno or Sora would. That's why I largely think the fight for the SE spot is between Geno and Sora right now; everyone else has such a low chance compared to those two, they might as well be out of the running. At this point, I'd put it at about 40% Geno, 30% Sora, and 30% anyone else.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno > Chocobo > Chrono > Secret of Mana Guy > Erdrick > Final Fantasy character > Neku > Slime > Everyone else >>>>> A level 1 field imp/creature from the start of any game >>>>> Sora

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

That's pretty fair, I mean both dudes only had major roles in one game and are wanted for Smash, that's points in common (granted, Chrono is the main character in his). :shades:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno > Mallow > Chrono > Neku > Erdrick > Sephiroth > Chocobo > Noctis > >>>>>>>>Sora > Slime > Lara Croft

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
That's why I largely think the fight for the SE spot is between Geno and Sora right now; everyone else has such a negligible chance compared to those two, it's hardly worth considering. At this point, I'd put it at about 40% Geno, 30% Sora, and 30% anyone else.
Sora doesn't count as a Square rep, he would be a Disney rep. At this point, Sora is basically out of the process of elimination. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice even gave some good reasons on why it's unlikely to be Sora, but one of the main reasons is that Sora doesn't count as a Square rep anymore because he's owned by Disney now; Verge said a Square rep. I don't think Nintendo would even want one of their big competitor's characters in the game, and not to mention that KH3 isn't even coming to the Switch; a main/big Kingdom Hearts game has NEVER even been on a big Nintendo console, nor do I think it's going to happen. Square would rather focus on porting their Final Fantasy games to the Switch, I doubt Kingdom Hearts is on their mind at the moment. Remember that Disney owns Kingdom Hearts now, I doubt they'd want their own big games on a Nintendo console because they're competing with Nintendo right now. Also, here's some reasons Fatmanonice gave:
A summary of major points against Geno's main competitors:

Sora:

-Owned by Disney, not Square.

-1 cameo outside of Kingdom Hearts and it was a free LTO DLC summon in World of Final Fantasy.

-No plans yet for Switch, last game on a Nintendo platform was 6 years ago and has since been remastered multiple times for Nintendo's competitors.

-No mainline games on Nintendo platforms, no rereleases either.

-Regularly beaten by Geno in popularity polls among Smash fans including Japan and Europe.

-Nintendo currently has a movie and theme park partnership with Universal Studios, making Disney a competitor in both aspects.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of mad at SE for being cheapasses because no new FF music or at least one assist trophy really is a shame. If Geno's in, I hope they can bother to do one music remix at the very least instead of all straight rips.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, can I ask why people do >>>>>? It has to be one of my biggest pet peeves, you only ever need one >. Adding more does not magnify the effect, its just mathematically incorrect.

D

Deleted member

Okay, can I ask why people do >>>>>? It has to be one of my biggest pet peeves, you only ever need one >. Adding more does not magnify the effect, its just mathematically incorrect.
It just shows how much we don't want the character(s)

D

Deleted member

Kind of mad at SE for being cheapasses because no new FF music or at least one assist trophy really is a shame. If Geno's in, I hope they can bother to do one music remix at the very least instead of all straight rips.
I hope they can remix Forest Maze, Armed Boss and Battle Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster. They let them use the original track for Beware the Forest's Mushrooms when they announced the Mii costume in Smash 4, I hope they do a remake and make it more dynamic, like how they did with Gangplank Galleon

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Geno - Black Mage/Cecil/Locke/Warrior of Light/Kain/Terra - Crono - DQ Rep - Sora
Locke would be such a cool addition; it's too bad FF6 doesn't get very much attention like you said. I just finished the game myself last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom