• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I refuse to believe that Sakurai thinks a Mii Outfit is good enough for Geno.... We demand justice for all those lost on this day... R.I.P. Skull Kid, Isaac, Shadow, Black Knight, and many more... GIVE US GENO!!!

Last edited:

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Just did it. Hopefully we may get an answer on his stance of this.
At least he didn't destroy his chances with the Mii Outfit reveal. The fact that Geno wasn't shown as an outfit in the segment where multiple of them were being shown, and that he wasn't deconfirmed via assist trophy, gives me a spark of hope.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Well Isaac is dead and I'm heartbroken, but Geno still has a shot at dlc so I'm still hopeful in that regard

Stay hopeful guys

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
spirits are not a deconfirmation lol. they're basically stickers and Brawl had a bazillion of these.

we just got piranha plant as a playable character. piranha plant. anything is possible.
I believe Sakurai straight up said Characters in Spirits are characters that couldn't make it in the game during the direct, I think that's pretty blatant it hurts his chances for DLC.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I believe Sakurai straight up said Characters in Spirits are characters that couldn't make it in the game during the direct, I think that's pretty blatant it hurts his chances for DLC.
yeah i see the k. rool and male wii fit trainer spirits

guess they're never gonna make it in

also this would deconfirm... a lot of characters. and development hasn't started yet on these (though that's probably a lie, but I doubt there's much of a head start)

R O F L

Smash Ace
Geno's spirit appears when they go over battle area and they use his SMRPG artwork. Does this mean he is deconfirmed or does he still have a chance? The only other fighter related spirit shown so far (as far as I know) was Meta Ridley.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Geno is not a spirit if I'm not mistaken? Just a player icon/gamer tag.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno's spirit appears when they go over battle area and they use his SMRPG artwork. Does this mean he is deconfirmed or does he still have a chance? The only other fighter related spirit shown so far (as far as I know) was Meta Ridley.
Those are tokens for Battle Arena itself.

K. Rool and Male Wii Fit Trainer also have Spirits; these are essentially glorified trophies, which didn't disconfirm Lucas and Mewtwo in Smash 4.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Well I, for one, refuse to give up hope no matter what and I hope nobody else here does either. If we don't have hope in the night it'll mean nothing when we reach the dawn.

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. I feel like there were a few nods to Geno. First, the part where he shows opening scene of the original Smash Bros with the Mario doll, when he says that they are toys in the real world but fighters in the world of the imagination.
Then, when it shows the Mario clone being created and a spirit inhabits it. It screams Geno! As I was watching this I thought for sure we would see him. As the camera was zooming away from the planets, I thought we were going to see Geno on Star Road.. descending down to become our good ole boy..

I know there's a lot of business that goes on for third party, but if Geno is a DLC fighter, I can't help but feel they missed an amazing opportunity for a super hype last reveal.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
K. Rool and the Male Wii Fit Trainer were spotted too. Either way, Mewtwo and Lucas were regular trophies in Smash 4 before getting in as DLC.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i STILL think Geno is the first DLC
Seriously spirit is just sticker , mean nothing !

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If Geno is DLC, I just hope he gets a nice trailer with CG animation unlike Smash 4's DLC. Unfortunately, Piranha Plant's trailer isn't giving me good vibes on that front already...

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I believe if our boy is DLC, then he can come with SMRPG music and maybe a stage based on the Forest Maze or Star Hill, since each DLC character gets a stage and music. I’m not giving up hope. :starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I believe if our boy is DLC, then he can come with SMRPG music and maybe a stage based on the Forest Maze or Star Hill, since each DLC character gets a stage and music. I’m not giving up hope. :starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:
To me, this is basically fact!
I refuse to believe Geno is gone, because he is far from it!

I think they're reserving him for DLC so they can properly represent him with not only our sent from above saviour, but a stage (Star Hill/Forest Maze) AND music to boot! I'm pumped, I tell you! PUMPED!

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who wants to “jump off the train” or whatever, feel free. I’ve been wanting this character in smash since I first played the game and I’m certainly not stopping now.

If anything, today was a GOOD day for us. Geno was one of what, three top-pick characters who even survived? We have a player icon / spirit, DLC confirmed, and Vergeben who has been 100% so far for better or for worse stating that if you follow Square Enix’s trends with lending their licenses, it’s always DLC. Geno was never going to be base roster and honestly he shouldn’t. He IS an obscure character from the 90’s. His reveal is not mainstream.

He’s DLC. We have longer to wait. I’m on this **** for life so if you wanna leave or whatever, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
To me, this is basically fact!
I refuse to believe Geno is gone, because he is far from it!

I think they're reserving him for DLC so they can properly represent him with not only our sent from above saviour, but a stage (Star Hill/Forest Maze) AND music to boot! I'm pumped, I tell you! PUMPED!

That’s the spirit. :grin:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
For real, **** Sakurai, I want him to get out of Smash.
Every yes man can make a better Smash Bros than Sakurai.
Just listen at the community for more than 50% of the roster, add 2 features, many trophies (oh wait), musics, stages, AT and you have a Super Smash Bros.

We don't need Sakurai at all. He had some good ideas but now, he's doing stupid things (just like Miyamoto with Mario).

Want a good example ? King K Rool ? Everyone had this moveset in mind for K Rool, you could have ask a fan, he would have done the same thing.
What a horrible comment. Sakurai pours his heart out to please as many fans as possible, yet you think he should be FIRED? You're really not putting Geno fans in a good light, here.

Paperluigi11

Smash Cadet
I think we still have one more chance this year to see Geno. It may be a long shot, but we still have the Video Game Awards where Nintendo could make an announcement on smash dlc. We have a chance that the announcement could be for Geno as DLC.

Dan

Smash Lord
Etika had to call him "Jeno" again in his reaction today; I guess it's technically not wrong, since we call Pokémon "Gen 1".

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
If Geno is DLC, I just hope he gets a nice trailer with CG animation unlike Smash 4's DLC. Unfortunately, Piranha Plant's trailer isn't giving me good vibes on that front already...
True, but I have a strong feeling that if Nintendo is saving this for DLC, they must be aware of the hype surrounding Geno. For this reason, it seems likely that they'd give the boi a great showcase with CGI and everything. They have to know how much people want Geno.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I ain't giving up on Geno. He was the first character I supported on Smashboards, as well as one of my top wants. I can wait, I sure know others have waited for far longer.

Last edited:

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
If geno is already in the game (his little icon), there's no legal action to take to make him dlc, it'd be super easy

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of how confident I am that Geno will be among the 5 DLC, waiting for the slow trickle of info to come out little by little until 2020 will be tough.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
We got a ****ing Pirahna Plant over Geno. Really goes to show you where Sakurai's priorities are.

This sucks.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Hey guys. I know this sucks, but we've got to have hope. We've been doing this for so long that we can last a little while longer.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will just say, I like Piranha Plant. He looks really fun and I don't think his inclusion was meant as an insult at all, as they really seemed to stress him being more of an extra bonus than anything else. And if any series can really get away with having a generic mook, it's Mario.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I don't even think having him in the base game would be so much better. After all, if he is a DLC, he will be guaranteed a stage AND music tracks.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Today... was rough. So many emotions.
It went from the excitement of seeing Ken, to the realization of those yellow eyes in the shadows. Incineroar came out, and I knew the Grinch leak was done. But with Vergeben's credibility up, I was holding out for that SE rep to show up at the end.

Spirits appeared.
"The Super Smash Brothers series is one massive crossover at heart, and we want to create something more: a way to enjoy characters other than fighters. [...] Here's what we came up with. They're called spirits." My heart was racing. This could've been the end.. but we trudged through it.
Or so I thought.

The Spirits section ended, and soon after came the Assist Trophies. Seeing Shadow, Isaac and Black Knight made me hold my breath, but even through that we were safe.

Mii Costumes weren't as intense as I thought, given they were only new ones.

And then it happened.
"Free with pre-order" rang through my ears, and as the screen faded to Mario characters, all of the rumors of Geno as day-one DLC rushed into my brain at once. This may have been it.
But it was just Piranha Plant. A literal common enemy of the Mario franchise had become a fighter before Geno. I was devastated.

The fallout was worse. People found Geno in the game!... but in quite possibly the worst way. Just a player icon. Even worse, he could be a Spirit.

Even now, Geno's chances look slim. But if we have Vergeben's word that there is a Square Enix rep coming in the future, I'll hold on to it as long as I can. I've been waiting over a decade for Geno, so a few months more won't hurt, right?

I'm going to main Piranha Plant out of pure spite.
4 - vmrUbLb.png

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Today... was rough. So many emotions.
It went from the excitement of seeing Ken, to the realization of those yellow eyes in the shadows. Incineroar came out, and I knew the Grinch leak was done. But with Vergeben's credibility up, I was holding out for that SE rep to show up at the end.

Spirits appeared.
"The Super Smash Brothers series is one massive crossover at heart, and we want to create something more: a way to enjoy characters other than fighters. [...] Here's what we came up with. They're called spirits." My heart was racing. This could've been the end.. but we trudged through it.
Or so I thought.

The Spirits section ended, and soon after came the Assist Trophies. Seeing Shadow, Isaac and Black Knight made me hold my breath, but even through that we were safe.

Mii Costumes weren't as intense as I thought, given they were only new ones.

And then it happened.
"Free with pre-order" rang through my ears, and as the screen faded to Mario characters, all of the rumors of Geno as day-one DLC rushed into my brain at once. This may have been it.
But it was just Piranha Plant. A literal common enemy of the Mario franchise had become a fighter before Geno. I was devastated.

The fallout was worse. People found Geno in the game!... but in quite possibly the worst way. Just a player icon. Even worse, he could be a Spirit.

Even now, Geno's chances look slim. But if we have Vergeben's word that there is a Square Enix rep coming in the future, I'll hold on to it as long as I can. I've been waiting over a decade for Geno, so a few months more won't hurt, right?

View attachment 174864
Jesus, that must've been an emotional rollercoaster. Don't lose hope though, I think he had a better chance of being DLC from the start. I always thought that the Grinch leak was way too good to be true. Now, we know it is highly likely that a SE rep will be DLC, and Geno seems like the best candidate.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I thought about this - If they determined the DLC characters during development, would they have known that Kingdom Hearts 3 was going to come out late this year/early 2019? If not, then Sora might not make as much sense as it would if they were determining them now.

Regardless, we're still in this. Everyone needs to let out their anger, and come back with a level head.

Also: People need to read the comments. I don't get agitated a lot, but the fact that people are still saying he's a spirit shows that they aren't reading the comments. It's kind of driving me insane because we've stated it multiple times.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I thought about this - If they determined the DLC characters during development, would they have known that Kingdom Hearts 3 was going to come out late this year/early 2019? If not, then Sora might not make as much sense as it would if they were determining them now.

Regardless, we're still in this. Everyone needs to let out their anger, and come back with a level head.

Also: People need to read the comments. I don't get agitated a lot, but the fact that people are still saying he's a spirit shows that they aren't reading the comments. It's kind of driving me insane because we've stated it multiple times.
There's NO WAY they knew the release date for Kingdom hearts 3 - pretty sure Square Enix didn't even know that far back, and you gotta' remember Kingdom Hearts 3 was also delayed.

Dan

Smash Lord
I will just say, I like Piranha Plant. He looks really fun and I don't think his inclusion was meant as an insult at all, as they really seemed to stress him being more of an extra bonus than anything else. And if any series can really get away with having a generic mook, it's Mario.
This is fair; I was first made aware of the character by seeing the trailer on GameXplain (and literally not believing my eyes), so I wasn't aware of the context within the Direct, but they did try to get the point across that this is meant to be some weird day-one bonus, akin to something like getting Mario's overalls for participating in the Aces demo.

View attachment 174864
Agreed; admittedly the character actually looks cool, and Corrin (who I hated for similar reasons) was the only DLC character I bought cause he also looked cool.

I think the player icon thing hurts his chances, cause then you would have generations of Geno clashing and I'd imagine the DLC characters aren't in the game in any form, but especially after today, anything's possible.

If I caught the Direct live, I would've assumed the Piranha Plant was Geno as well; I was so salty and 20 years of Smash had immediately became unrecognizable to me just cause they put a generic Mario enemy in when people have been begging for not just Geno, but the five or so characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom