• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hoping and still thinking Geno is in.

A direct would end this.

Hopefully soon.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Maybe with Geno's announcement, people can finally realize "hey, anyone can get in!" Not trying to discredit Geno at all, but at the end of the day he's just a side character in an RPG. But we've all grown to love him, and maybe his announcement in Smash can inspire more people to get their alltime favorite characters in, relevant or not!
Honestly that’s discrediting this fanbase saying if Geno can get in then anyone can. If he gets in, it’s solely on the back of having an unprecedented amount and longevity of support for a character of his stature.

I can’t name a single character that even comes close to this level of support after a one time appearance. These days everyone seems to move on quickly from characters. Remember when Elma support was a thing?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Honestly that’s discrediting this fanbase saying if Geno can get in then anyone can. If he gets in, it’s solely on the back of having an unprecedented amount and longevity of support for a character of his stature.
That's my bad, I apologize. I didn't intend for it to sound that way, but it did regardless. I'm sorry guys didn't mean to discredit anyone's support. :crying:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
That's my bad, I apologize. I didn't intend for it to sound that way, but it did regardless. I'm sorry guys didn't mean to discredit anyone's support. :crying:
I know you meant no harm, I was just kind of expressing the hell that a fanbase has to endure for a character like Geno to get in haha

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
Following that logic, he could have just put Incineroar too dont you think? Why not putting one of the almost certain newcomers like Ken?
no idea. maybe he's a decidueye fan or something.
i'm really just throwing sticks i found in the woods into the fire here. i have just about as much of an idea of what's going on as the rest of you. we've gotta wait until the next direct/announcement to find out what the deal is.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman

I can’t name a single character that even comes close to this level of support after a one time appearance. These days everyone seems to move on quickly from characters. Remember when Elma support was a thing?
Yeah, the only other currently unconfirmed character on the same support level as Geno would be Isaac in my book.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Yeah, the only other currently unconfirmed character on the same support level as Geno would be Isaac in my book.
The two of them have always been way up there with Ridley and K. Rool. Now that the dinos are in it stands within reason that the magical dudes ought to be in next

cybersai

Smash Ace
As I said before, even if this Grinch leak turns out fake, I am sure Geno is in 100% either way.

He's the one character from the leak I feel has the best chances regardless even if it's fake.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe with Geno's announcement, people can finally realize "hey, anyone can get in!" Not trying to discredit Geno at all, but at the end of the day he's just a side character in an RPG. But we've all grown to love him, and maybe his announcement in Smash can inspire more people to get their alltime favorite characters in, relevant or not!
Exactly! He will be a beacon of hope for anyone that wants their own unlikely characters to get in someday, lord knows I have plenty of those. They'll have to make more concerted efforts from now on.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
On the topic of Geno, am I the only one who finds Geno just cool? Like, I completely understand the people who say he's a one off character from an otherwise obscure (though absolutely remarkable) RPG in the 90s, and I'll even give to people who personally say Geno wasn't a stand out character to them even after they played SMRPG. But for me, of new Mario characters and main characters Geno and Mallow, Geno was the standout. He's some kind of cosmic enforcer taking the body of a child's plaything that's a wooden doll with gun hands and actual firing action. It would be like if someone had a model gundam that grew human sized and went on an adventure with them, with all the abilities of a gundam mech. How is that not just an awesome premise. Plus I like how it confirms the presence of fictional characters within the world of Mario of all things. From his design, abilities, to just the premise of his existence, Geno was and is the standout, because he's just so bad a**. (I'll grant Mallow is pretty cool too but Cosmic ambassador of space beats lost Prince of the clouds in coolness imo.)

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I concur, Geno's pretty cool. I look at his animations and personality featured in the game and to me, he seems more interesting than Mallow. I'm not sure if the comparison is spot on, but he reminds me of Yami Yugi. My headcanon even assigns him the same voice.

I've thought of a Geno trailer. Not sure if it is original though. I was thinking of a trailer with Bowser and Kirby (as a Mallow expy) chasing down Wario (Booster expy) who has kidnaped Peach. Wario gets the upper hand and eliminates Kirby and Bowser is about to lose when Geno comes in to lend a hand.

TheBeastHimself

I feel like I've said this somewhere before, but I'd love to see one more direct that shows off everything else in the game and has the new character trailers sprinkled throughout it!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WIth the current "big 3" in current smash speculation POTENTIALLY getting in, Isaac Banjo and Geno, who would replace them for Smash 6. Or DLC I guess

?

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
WIth the current "big 3" in current smash speculation POTENTIALLY getting in, Isaac Banjo and Geno, who would replace them for Smash 6. Or DLC I guess

?

Anyone have any ideas?
Hard to say. The only thing I'm certain of is that Spring Man DLC is very likely post Smash Launch. I could see them doing DLC Spring Man with Ribbon Girl echo.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace

?

Anyone have any ideas?
If Dixie or Skull Kid don't get in, they're the biggest old characters not counting new franchises.

TheBeastHimself

?

Anyone have any ideas?
Honestly, it's hard to say because there are so many options to work with. But if I had to narrow it down to just 3... I'd say Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, Shantae, at least in terms of character popularity.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Keep in mind Assists probably won't be playable in DLC. If Dixie doesn't make it she's the most likely DLC rep.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Keep in mind Assists probably won't be playable in DLC. If Dixie doesn't make it she's the most likely DLC rep.
Honestly though, am I the only one who thinks that's a dumb rule? Like, other fighting games add characters that pre-exist in a non playable form in the game all the time. If Sakurai had a great idea for making an AT playable, I don't think many people would fret much if he just removed their AT to upgrade them to playable status.
Just some final words

Ken
Shadow
Geno
Isaac
And Mach rider

Are very possible regardless of being fake or not
Eh, sans leak, I wouldn't think Mach Rider is super likely. Inclusion makes sense as obligatory retro rep, but he wouldn't have been my first even assuming we were getting some Sakurai picks mixed with the fanservice, which until this leak, I wasn't even sure of the possibility of some non fan service pics before this leak made me consider the possibility.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Honestly though, am I the only one who thinks that's a dumb rule? Like, other fighting games add characters that pre-exist in a non playable form in the game all the time. If Sakurai had a great idea for making an AT playable, I don't think many people would fret much if he just removed their AT to upgrade them to playable status.
Sure, but I think it's unlikely. They would have to physically remove the assist (like if Waluigi becomes playable, they won't leave his Assist there too), and it seems kinda pointless if they were passed over the first time around.

In many cases it's better to be absent entirely than be an Assist.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Sure, but I think it's unlikely. They would have to physically remove the assist (like if Waluigi becomes playable, they won't leave his Assist there too), and it seems kinda pointless if they were passed over the first time around.

In many cases it's better to be absent entirely than be an Assist.
I know it's not likely, I'm just griping in general that it's a dumb rule.

(Actually, what if they didn't remove an AT for a game where the character becomes DLC? Dragon Ball FighterZ gave us Android 17 as DLC despite him literally being initially relegated to part of another characters moveset. If Smash can already accommodate 8 v 8 matches of all the exact same character, I wouldn't mind seeing (as an example) Playable Waluigi getting Waluigi AT, even if this was changed come next Smash game.)

Last edited:

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
If Dixie or Skull Kid don't get in, they're the biggest old characters not counting new franchises.
I believe that Paper Mario (who have lots of games and lots of fans) and Waluigi (because of viralization) also has good chances.
I also can see Nintendo promoting BotW instead of Majora's Mask and putting some of the champions of BotW in the game, instead of Skull Kid. Many people bought the Switch because of BotW.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I've been gone a while from this thread, caught up in the madness of the main leak thread, but I'm glad to be back! It's nice to see in the same amount of time I wasn't here, only about 3 pages were made instead of 300, lol.

Just gonna be chilling out in here for the rest of this speculation season...I've had a taste of the big thread, and that was more than enough. Feels good to be away from all the bickering.

Team Genobros forever!

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they at least announce when the direct will be soon. This wait is unbearable!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
If Geno gets announced, how are we all gonna stay in touch?
I'd totally be up for swapping Switch IDs with everybody and playing Smash (or anything else) regularly. My recent interest in Splatoon's online has convinced me online play actually isn't the pits with the right games and the right people.

And you dudes feel like the right people.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I'd totally be up for swapping Switch IDs with everybody and playing Smash (or anything else) regularly. My recent interest in Splatoon's online has convinced me online play actually isn't the pits with the right games and the right people.

And you dudes feel like the right people.
If you only play with genobros it will always be Geno vs Geno lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you only play with genobros it will always be Geno vs Geno lol
Nothing motivates me more to beat the opponent than when it's doubles/ clones/ whatever you call them

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just like I'll beat everyone with shantae if she gets in :)

I'll try to master geno too tho and beat yr asses ;p

Nothing motivates me more to beat the opponent than when it's doubles/ clones/ whatever you call them
dittos?

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
If Geno gets announced, how are we all gonna stay in touch?
We've got a Geno discord set up for speculation purposes, but if he's in then it'll become a general Geno hub! Link's in the bottom of OP and in my signature.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I had an interesting hypothetical scenario occur to me today...

Let's flash back to around 2016. Sakurai is sitting in his gilded throne at the Sora Ltd. Offices. He's mulling over his list of roster picks, on his desk of solid marble. He frowns.

"Aw shucks," he says. "We won't have enough time to develop these last (five or so) lower-priority characters with this schedule. But it is my sacred mission to make sure Everyone Is Here! Especially you..."

He lovingly touches the picture of Geno, tears in his eyes. "No...there must be a way!" He screams to the heavens.

Then, lo and behold...he gets an email on his solid-gold computer. It's from Kimishima. "Dear Sakurai," it reads. "I know you aren't one to leave a game unfinished, but we want you to do rolling free updates on Smash to keep the interest up long term, as with Splatoon. Please understand. 'Kay thanks."

Sakurai's eyes light up. "This...this is it!" He yells. Then he concocts his master plan:

Develop the last few characters after release, but show them all in the opening cinematic, revealed in the final direct. Then explain they will all be arriving in free updates, along with the last five stages. No individual trailers required (saving time and money) no one left out, and no forced DLC planned before the game is done.

It's the best possible scenario for Sakurai, and for us. This could explain the banner, as well as why we're hearing so many characters from so many sources--they're not planned DLC, but characters that were planned and otherwise wouldn't have made it in, if not for the extra time such an approach would give.

Granted, this doesn't account for why Incineroar isn't on the banner...but it's a possibility. It's the most sensible explanation I can think of.

Also...sorry to bring up leak talk in here, if everyone was done with it. This just popped into my head, and I don't wanna go back into that madhouse of a thread, lol.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not likely, I'm just griping in general that it's a dumb rule.

(Actually, what if they didn't remove an AT for a game where the character becomes DLC? Dragon Ball FighterZ gave us Android 17 as DLC despite him literally being initially relegated to part of another characters moveset. If Smash can already accommodate 8 v 8 matches of all the exact same character, I wouldn't mind seeing (as an example) Playable Waluigi getting Waluigi AT, even if this was changed come next Smash game.)
The point of not having a character as both a fighter and an AT is for clarity when viewing the game. you make a good point with 17, but luckily for him for his role as an individual character he has a newer design to help distinguish him from the special move version of him. and even in his case the Special move 17 only pops in and does a move before going away.

while assists are allowed to roam freely. and even have an icon above them telling you which player they belong too. if you had playable character waluigi grab an assist and it's AT Waluigi then you're having confusion within the already large amount of madness that is item's on smash bros.

they would at the very least have to give Waluigi a new design to help distinguish his silhouette. but that means abandoning the original design.

This thread will be moved to the new Geno subforum and turned into a social thread, like any other support thread for a confirmed character.
can I just say that I love that they do that here on smashboards. instead of just leaving the old thread behind they transform the place for everyone to support eachothers hopes and dreams into a haven for those who finally had their wish come through. and instead of talking about what their moveset could be we talk about what it actually is and talk about how to best use it!

straight removing an AT seems like a weird thing to do. since they would be removing content they have worked on permanently just to add new content when they already have other options out there to choose from.

As for the new trinity. Waluigi and Ashley seem like the most obvious. then after that I'd think either Bandana Waddle Dee or Skull Kid.
although I think the old trinity each member kind of stood for a different kind of argument that people think held them back. for Ridley it was Sakurai's refusal, for K. Rool relevancy, and for Geno it is being a side character (or various other things)

so maybe the new trinity could be made of new characters people could see as impossible. like Shantae for being indie. Sora for being a legal nightmare, and....waluigi for being a meme??? I'm struggling to find the third idea..

Last edited:

astralAenigma

Smash Rookie
I had a dream in which the Grinch leak has been proven true, and I had the chance to play Geno in game along with Isaac and Banjo.
I've also met the leaker. He was in big trouble and didn't manage to sleep for 8 days...

... I think I really need a Direct by now, I'm dreaming about Geno almost every night. xD

TheGenoBeliver

Smash Rookie
I saw him getting into Super Mario Party alongside MC Ballyhoo in my dream lol.

Geno is definetly in btw.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Isaac and Geno for me are the two Nintendo characters more deserving of being in Smash!

I hope you guys help me support Agumon now that your characters are in the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom