• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brawl speculation was a different beast altogether because Sakurai made it sound like at E3 2006 that it was going to be the final Smash game so expectations were through the roof. The Big 5 in the post Brawl days were Geno, Megaman, K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac up until SSB4 was pseudo announced in 2012. Geno support definitely took a hit during Smash 4 but, still, he stuck around. Post Brawl up and bulldozed a lot of the disconfirmed character fanbases and people played things a lot safer with SSB4. Looking back, a lot of the characters that did make it in weren't really that heavily supported. Megaman, Little Mac, Palutena, and Shulk were like the only newcomers that had notably sized fanbases. Nobody expected an Animal Crossing rep or Wii Fit, people were strangely not super invested in any of the 6th gen Pokemon (more people honestly wanted Zoroark), Rosalina, Miis, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr had mostly casual fanbases outside the Smash fanbase, Robin and Lucina were considered far behind Chrom in likeliness, Duck Hunt had a small but tenacious fanbase, and Dark Pit was thought to be such a dumb choice that almost no one took the consideration seriously. Of course, this was worlds different when Brawl gave us Diddy, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Dedede, Lucario, Ike, Toon Link, Wolf, and, of course, Sonic, who all had a big presence on this site along with the 5 I mentioned earlier plus Krystal post E3 2006.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Brawl speculation was a different beast altogether because Sakurai made it sound like at E3 2006 that it was going to be the final Smash game so expectations were through the roof. The Big 5 in the post Brawl days were Geno, Megaman, K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac up until SSB4 was pseudo announced in 2012. Geno support definitely took a hit during Smash 4 but, still, he stuck around. Post Brawl up and bulldozed a lot of the disconfirmed character fanbases and people played things a lot safer with SSB4. Looking back, a lot of the characters that did make it in weren't really that heavily supported. Megaman, Little Mac, Palutena, and Shulk were like the only newcomers that had notably sized fanbases. Nobody expected an Animal Crossing rep or Wii Fit, people were strangely not super invested in any of the 6th gen Pokemon (more people honestly wanted Zoroark), Rosalina, Miis, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr had mostly casual fanbases outside the Smash fanbase, Robin and Lucina were considered far behind Chrom in likeliness, Duck Hunt had a small but tenacious fanbase, and Dark Pit was thought to be such a dumb choice that almost no one took the consideration seriously. Of course, this was worlds different when Brawl gave us Diddy, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Dedede, Lucario, Ike, Toon Link, Wolf, and, of course, Sonic, who all had a big presence on this site along with the 5 I mentioned earlier plus Krystal post E3 2006.
How I would love if the final direct revealed both Geno and Isaac. That would make the game perfect.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
What are you talking about? Every main-series Dragon Quest game but one has gotten a Western release. Two DQ games got Western releases this year.

Please take two seconds to read up before you start talking about hard evidence.
I stand corrected. And for the record, I did read up quite a bit but I guess my sources are garbage.

For what it's worth, I'm a huge fan of Fortune Street (a DQ/Mario cross-over for those that don't know) and that's where I was first introduced to DQ characters. I remember searching around desperately for one of the DQ games because I wanted to give it a try and I couldn't find anything, not on e-shops, not on anything. That was during the Wii days.

Doing some research, I see that it was named under "Dragon Warrior" prior to DQVIII so I would have ignored those titles if I saw them at the time. After all, the series name is "Dragon Quest", how am I supposed to know they changed the name in localization as a casual observer? And then DQVIII wasn't released on 3DS until last year. So sure, this one is my bad. I meant to clarify in the original statement and say "on Nintendo systems" but obviously, it's been released on Nintendo prior to last year as well. But... you gotta admit it's confusing when it's under a different moniker.

Anyways, this mistake doesn't mitigate any of the evidence in Geno's favor which is, regardless of my mistake, hard evidence.

Edit: But thanks for the heads up. I mained Jessica in Fortune Street and fortunately (hur), it looks like DQVIII has her in your party. So I'll probably pick up DQVIII for the 3DS sometime soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

NgametheCube posted this eh? Might be onto something Incineroar I actually want in. Would be okay with Steve, Ken makes too much sense. Shadow would be great. Geno? Well shoot considering he'd probably be one of the only DLC characters I generally care about if there is DLC, which I think there might be. I would no doubt get him in a heartbeat.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
This. Tho, here's my thinking...if Geno gets in, it opens the door to future opportunities. Imagine our Magic Wooden Boy being Mario Kart DLC alongside the Moogle as a small Square Enix pack. Or being given cameos in other games. Smash could feasibly bring him back into the spotlight.
Seeing Geno in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as DLC would be awesome or even seeing him as a playable character in a future entry of the Mario Party series and all of that would be a dream come true and Smash will open the door to so many possibilities if Geno makes it into Ultimate. :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How I would love if the final direct revealed both Geno and Isaac. That would make the game perfect.
That fact that they're both old enough to be considered retro characters is (existential crisis worthy) interesting. Geno's 22, Issac's 17 so having them in a dual trailer about "old" *blanks out for a moment* RPGs would be great.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
That fact that they're both old enough to be considered retro characters is (existential crisis worthy) interesting. Geno's 22, Issac's 17 so having them in a dual trailer about "old" *blanks out for a moment* RPGs would be great.
'scuse me while I have a mild panic attack over life in general... .__.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Seeing Geno in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as DLC would be awesome or even seeing him as a playable character in a future entry of the Mario Party series and all of that would be a dream come true and Smash will open the door to so many possibilities if Geno makes it into Ultimate. :)
The day they start using characteres from the pool of RPG exclusive characters would be a very cold day in a very hot place, but it would also mark the first time I have ever felt invested in the roster of a Mario spinoff.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I've thought about this myself. They don't need a retro rep if they have Geno or Isaac. Hell even K. Rool is retro enough for me. I think they would fit the roster better than any of the Mach Riders or Excitebikers of the world.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think "retro reps" are kind of a silly made up thing fans have decided we always get based on patterns, but it's likely just Sakurai picking out a legacy character he likes as opposed to it being done to fill some kind of quota.

That being said... if "Retro reps" was a thing, I feel like in order for it to count, your series would have to have not advanced past the system it debuted on. And it certainly doesn't count if your series is still considered a flagship series like DK, even if K. Rool hasn't been in it for a while, I wouldn't consider him a retro rep, nor would I consider Geno one. To me, a retro rep is someone more like Mike Jones who never lived past the NES, or Lip who never lived past the SNES.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Captain falcon is us clamouring to know if geno is in
Ryu is Sakurai trying to protect characters from getting leaked

geptan falcon.png

-Coco-

Smash Ace
DQ games have been getting Western releases since the eighties. I mentioned there'd been two releases this year to highlight that DQXI isn't the first game in the series to come out or whatever people think. Dragon Quest Heroes came out in 2015 and Nintendo themselves published the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VII in 2016, if you need something from those years. Either way, "Dragon Quest has never been localized in the West" is totally wrong.

This "DQ guys" paranoia is ludicrous. Nobody's trying to tear anyone down, I like Geno and SMRPG just fine, and no discussion happening now is going to ruin Geno's chances or whatever. I've been a DQ fan for ages, it's a series that absolutely deserves a place in Smash, and I've wanted that since Smash 4 was announced.

For what it's worth, Geno is cool, and I'd be happy to have him in. There ought to be something from the Mario RPGs besides just the Paper Mario stage, for sure.
This. DQ is my favorite video game franchise. I want Geno far more but the misinformation about DQ isn't helping.

D

Deleted member

I would not consinder Geno or Isaac retro reps popular characters that people want in. And have support but what do I know we'll see.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I hope both Isaac and Geno make it in. If they both make it in, I can see all the bromance images/memes popping up for them similar to Ridley/K Rool

volbound1700

Smash Master
Agree that Brawl brought more hyped newcomers. I feel the best lineup for Smash Ultimate would be the following:

Isaac
Geno
Gen 7 Pokemon
Skull Kid
Banjo-Kazooie
Tails
Dixie Kong
Rayman

This lineup would please most of the fans.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Agree that Brawl brought more hyped newcomers. I feel the best lineup for Smash Ultimate would be the following:

Isaac
Geno
Gen 7 Pokemon
Skull Kid
Banjo-Kazooie
Tails
Dixie Kong
Rayman

This lineup would please most of the fans.
I think you have to have Bandana Dee in there if you're looking to please the majority of the fans. Love him or hate him, he's extremely popular. I think I'd swap him with either Tails or Rayman, but that is nearly perfect.

My best line up would probably be the following. Keep in mind, I only think we'll top out at 5 characters, 2 of which I think will be echoes. But for the purpose of this, my 5 would be:

Geno
Isaac
Skull Kid
Gen 7 Pokemon (even though I would be perfectly fine without one)
Bandana Dee

Swap Ken and Shadow in if we're doing echoes with Skull Kid and Bandana Dee. EVERYONE is saying that Geno is the most likely. Almost every video I watch says Geno is almost guaranteed. I'll never be comfortable until I see that banner in his trailer, but I never saw this kind of certainty from OTHER fans as I do today.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
I stand corrected. And for the record, I did read up quite a bit but I guess my sources are garbage.

For what it's worth, I'm a huge fan of Fortune Street (a DQ/Mario cross-over for those that don't know) and that's where I was first introduced to DQ characters. I remember searching around desperately for one of the DQ games because I wanted to give it a try and I couldn't find anything, not on e-shops, not on anything. That was during the Wii days.

Doing some research, I see that it was named under "Dragon Warrior" prior to DQVIII so I would have ignored those titles if I saw them at the time. After all, the series name is "Dragon Quest", how am I supposed to know they changed the name in localization as a casual observer? And then DQVIII wasn't released on 3DS until last year. So sure, this one is my bad. I meant to clarify in the original statement and say "on Nintendo systems" but obviously, it's been released on Nintendo prior to last year as well. But... you gotta admit it's confusing when it's under a different moniker.

Anyways, this mistake doesn't mitigate any of the evidence in Geno's favor which is, regardless of my mistake, hard evidence.

Edit: But thanks for the heads up. I mained Jessica in Fortune Street and fortunately (hur), it looks like DQVIII has her in your party. So I'll probably pick up DQVIII for the 3DS sometime soon.
IIRC, in Fortune Street there was a SMRPG rearranged song of the Mushroom Kingdom, and that was awesome! Not sure if that would be a hint though, but just for the hype.

By the way, Mr. Zerg Eye, can you add me to the supporters please? I forgot to ask before, lol

EDIT: Here we go

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
The Big 5 in the post Brawl days were Geno, Megaman, K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac up until SSB4 was pseudo announced in 2012.
Wasn't the demand for Mewtwo and Roy's return up there? Heck, IIRC Mewtwo's base dwarfed everyone else's except Ridley and maybe K.Rool.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I hope both Isaac and Geno make it in. If they both make it in, I can see all the bromance images/memes popping up for them similar to Ridley/K Rool
I want this so much! I have a passion for good bromance. and the best part of ultimate so far has been the Ridley + K. Rool Bromance

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is basically my ideal scenario for the final two reveals in a Smash Direct. Have Isaac kick off the Direct with a nice introduction to his stage and character, and then have Geno close it out. Despite my enjoyment of the two characters, I also just think they're the most genuinely deserving with all of the love and support the fan bases have given for the past decade, and Ultimate closing on them would be pretty much a culmination of everything Brawl speculation wise. The realization of a decade long dream that I've only had the honor of being a part of for four years.

That said, I'm not expecting much newcomer wise at this point. I made a much larger post detailing how I was pretty much done with the whole hype culture around new characters because I can't have myself being disappointed at getting more characters on top of my previous top two most requested fighters and everything else in the game. I'm really going into this last stretch with the expectation that slots are super tight for unique fighters.

And Isaac and Geno is a dream, but to get two major fan requests like that? Possibly as the last two newcomers? That feels to good to be true. I have much higher hopes for Geno at this point (especially with the leaks seeming to imply a second Square fighter), but I'm also just not actively hoping for any character all that much any more as a way of hype control.

All that said, I still love this thread and the Isaac thread, so I'm sure to always be coming by with support and love, or taking place in discussions.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think you have to have Bandana Dee in there if you're looking to please the majority of the fans. Love him or hate him, he's extremely popular. I think I'd swap him with either Tails or Rayman, but that is nearly perfect.

My best line up would probably be the following. Keep in mind, I only think we'll top out at 5 characters, 2 of which I think will be echoes. But for the purpose of this, my 5 would be:

Geno
Isaac
Skull Kid
Gen 7 Pokemon (even though I would be perfectly fine without one)
Bandana Dee

Swap Ken and Shadow in if we're doing echoes with Skull Kid and Bandana Dee. EVERYONE is saying that Geno is the most likely. Almost every video I watch says Geno is almost guaranteed. I'll never be comfortable until I see that banner in his trailer, but I never saw this kind of certainty from OTHER fans as I do today.
Yeah Bandana Dee and Elma are missing. The issue that I have your list below is that there really isn't a lot of hype. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of big IP left in the Nintendo family. The hype factor is in the third-party entries now. IMO, Brawl saw most of the last major Nintendo IP included. Sure we have new IP (ARMs and Splatoon for example) that has come along and is popular but we are starting to get into the minor character range. Bandana Dee is basically like Koopa Trooper from Mario. Skull Kid has really only starred in one Nintendo game. You take on the other hand characters like Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, and Tails who are in multiple games and are well-known across the video game industry and outside of Tails have their own series.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
DLC for this game is going to be tense either way, especially now that we know they're heavily referencing the Smash Ballot and using ideas from as far back as Melee that were cut.
Even if the supposed Prima leak turns out to be true (Vault Boy? Really? :laugh:), the DLC period will certainly be the most interesting part of this speculation cycle by far. Especially if a new ballot is announced.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
I think as for DLC, they should do another ballot, but with 5 weighted slots. Like 5 points for the first choice and 1 point for the last one. As the current Ballot will be kind of obsolte since the major requests are already in the game (and new games appeared), priorities may change, and we could choose more than 1 character

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even if the supposed Prima leak turns out to be true (Vault Boy? Really? :laugh:), the DLC period will certainly be the most interesting part of this speculation cycle by far. Especially if a new ballot is announced.
I'm not expecting a new ballot anytime soon. The Japan only one after Smash 64 was used through Brawl and the Brawl one is arguably still being used. So far, I think Inkling, Bayonetta, and Isabelle are the only new characters distinctly added because of the Smash Ballot so I believe that pool is still largely untapped. Characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Dark Samus were undoubtedly remnants of the Brawl poll and we still have other big characters from those days like Geno, Isaac, and Skull Kid that haven't been added yet.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Please no more ballots. There should be enough evidence there to tell the powers that be where certain characters stand. They shouldn't put the fans through that again.

:ultsamus: Vs :ultridley:

:ultdk: Vs :ultkrool:

:ultsnake: Vs :ultcloud:

:ultmegaman: vs :ultsonic:

Those are the matches I have so far going into Ultimate. Question is who does Geno fight?

Srry for the double post.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
DQ games have been getting Western releases since the eighties. I mentioned there'd been two releases this year to highlight that DQXI isn't the first game in the series to come out or whatever people think. Dragon Quest Heroes came out in 2015 and Nintendo themselves published the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VII in 2016, if you need something from those years. Either way, "Dragon Quest has never been localized in the West" is totally wrong.
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I believe what I said was:

If that sounded a bit harsh, my apologies, but I'm tired of seeing the DQ argument. For reference, the newest West release came out earlier this month and the are already saying that future West localization will depend on the game's sales. The fanbase for DQ on it's own isn't very big in the West, but the fanbase for DQ in Ultimate is even smaller.
I said DQ isn't as big in the West, and therefore those wanting DQ rep in Smash in the West would be an even smaller group, and that future localization of DQ games will be based off of sales of DQXI in the West. Nowhere did I say they have never localized anything DQ, quit putting text in my post (IE word sin my mouth). Also, DQH came out in October 2015, which is honestly a bit late for the West to swell up support, though I'm sure DQ has lots of support in the East.

This "DQ guys" paranoia is ludicrous. Nobody's trying to tear anyone down, I like Geno and SMRPG just fine, and no discussion happening now is going to ruin Geno's chances or whatever. I've been a DQ fan for ages, it's a series that absolutely deserves a place in Smash, and I've wanted that since Smash 4 was announced.

For what it's worth, Geno is cool, and I'd be happy to have him in. There ought to be something from the Mario RPGs besides just the Paper Mario stage, for sure.
Well I'm glad you support Geno, but seriously, the only DQ talk in here has been after someone states that Geno has no competition in terms of a Square rep. Thus, one would assume persons such as yourself are coming in to claim why DQ has a chance over Geno, even though no argument that can be made about DQ really trumps what Geno has going for him. I'm not even trying to be rude about it, since I think DQ is super cool even though it's been so long since I played it and I played mainly a spin-off (Dragon Warrior Monsters), I'm just lining up the evidence and DQ doesn't measure up to Geno atm.

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
I remember reading in this thread a while back that people weren't 100% satisfied with the Smashified render, so I made some (admittedly sloppy) edits to it to attempt to make it look more like the original Geno render. What d'you think?

Wow, that's a lot bigger than I was expecting it to show. My apologies! :laugh:

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Those are the matches I have so far going into Ultimate. Question is who does Geno fight?
Geno vs. Isaac...but it'll be a friendly skirmish because they're the most gentlemanly of newcomers from RPG games. The kind where if one of them loses, they get up and smile and shake hands and thank the other for a good fight.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I remember reading in this thread a while back that people weren't 100% satisfied with the Smashified render, so I made some (admittedly sloppy) edits to it to attempt to make it look more like the original Geno render. What d'you think?

Wow, that's a lot bigger than I was expecting it to show. My apologies! :laugh:
In my opinion, it's much better than the Smashified version ! The biggest reason is that the pupil is less visible because of the hat !
Anyway, that's a great work !

So, we're going to have the result of the poll between Sora and Geno. Who do you think will win this one ? To be honest, I don't know what to think, but I hope that Geno is going to win !

Knight-Adept

Smash Cadet
Greetings, friends! Just stopping over from Isaac's thread to show my support for Geno. We're pretty much in the same boat here- classic RPG's that have been declared "irrelevant" by the masses. May both Geno and Isaac prevail in the end!

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
it was released with that photo of Dixie Kong and Banjo. While Dixie looks legit (even has her kneepads from DKC) Banjo just looks incredibly awkward and unconvincing.

It's probably just better to assume they were custom made models posed in the best way they could look legit for a fake leak than get your hopes up that they might be real, but it is easily the best Geno render i've seen out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom