• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai said he wanted to include Geno in Brawl but wasn't able to. Did he ever state why?
Reading your question make me think about another one:
If the only problem for use Geno is Square's rights over him and Nintendo already got permission to use him. Then why the hell was he cut off in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake for 3DS?

Maybe it's possible that Nintendo wants him to be forgotten in some way? Maybe so people stop talking about SMRPG and pay more attention to Paper Mario and M&L?

But in another way Nintendo released SMRPG for Wii, WiiU and Snes Classic Edition, so...

INFO: A lot of Alpha Dream's employees (studio behind M&L) worked on SMRPG so I don't think the problem is the fact that they don't like SMRPG or Geno.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If the only problem for use Geno is Square's rights over him and Nintendo already got permission to use him. Then why the hell was he cut off in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake for 3DS?

Maybe it's possible that Nintendo wants him to be forgotten in some way? Maybe so people stop talking about SMRPG and pay more attention to Paper Mario and M&L?

But in another way Nintendo released SMRPG for Wii, WiiU and Snes Classic Edition, so...

INFO: A lot of Alpha Dream's employees (studio behind M&L) worked on SMRPG so I don't think the problem is the fact that they don't like SMRPG or Geno.
When negotiated for a Mii costume in Smash, they probably didn't have any negotiations for M&L.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Geno story time? Geno story time. Alright, here comes Grandpa Fatman with Tales of Yore. This one is from the SSB4 days. I've shared this elsewhere on this site but I don't think I've ever detailed it in any of the Geno threads before.

It was November 21st, 2014. The big day had arrived. Smash Wii U was coming out. Things lined up perfectly. It was pay day and I had plans to pick up the game as soon as I got off work. Despite regularly being financially wrecked because of grad school, I had managed to set aside enough money for not only the game but limited edition Gamecube controller and adapter. All I had to do was survive my shift and the game was mine.

At the time, I was a student supervisor for the parking division of the campus police. This meant that I had to walk around campus and make sure people were doing their job (writing parking tickets but, hey, it got me out of school without debt). So, I was doing this and I was enjoying the walk because the weather was nice. I had gotten to one of the farthest parking lots on campus when I was approached by two international students. They asked me for help and then they showed me what I presumed was a dead tuxedo kitten. I was taken back a bit, as anyone would be. "We found it in the bushes and... we don't know what to do." I then told them that I would take it because I was friends with the owner of a local pet supply store literally in walking distance of where we were. They handed it to me and then quietly left.

For a few minutes, I was holding a kitten that had its eyes closed and barely any heat to it. I assumed that it had recently died and that the least I could do was take it somewhere it would be properly disposed of instead of being food for some random raccoon. So, I began my walk, trying to not bring too much attention to the fact that I was basically carrying a dead baby animal. I got to the side walk leading to the store when suddenly, if almost by magic, the kitten sprung to life. It looked at me, I looked at it. It was apparent that we were both a bit freaked out. "Uh..." I didn't have much time to really process what had happened because then the kitten tried to get away and was hardcore biting my hands. It was weak though and quickly tired itself out. The roof of its mouth was chalk white which meant that it was anemic and super close to starving to death. Soon the punk passed out and he closed his eyes and went dormant again. It was in that moment... that I fell in love with the little guy.

There was a change of plans but I couldn't decide what they were going to be. My landlord was incredibly strict at the time and me and my soon to be wife would have probably faced eviction if we were caught with a third cat. "Okay, right, I can't keep him..." I then walked over to the student center on campus. About every 5 minutes, the kitten would wake up, freak out, try to murder my hand, and then pass out from exhaustion. I sat in the student lounge and phoned up animal control. They said they'd send someone so I sat, waiting anxiously. Thirty minutes passed and the kitten went through its cycles: wake, bite, pass out, repeat. My hand hurt like a MF but I wanted to see this through. As time passed, I began to realize the mistake I had made. This was a stray kitten that would probably die by the end of the day if it didn't get help. It became grossly apparent that animal control would probably euthanize it without a second thought so I got up and left. "Damnit, this is happening all too fast..."

I walked outside and almost got hit by a car. The driver was mad until I showed them the kitten and told them the story. She looked at it and then me with quiet concern and then said "I can take him to the vet if you want." Do you ever have those moments in your life when you know that a decision made right then and there would affect thousands down the road? There I was, at a literal and metaphorical crosswalk when I look at the passed out kitten again. You become quickly attached to something as its literally dying in your hands so I told her that I would do it. She understood and left. Sometimes I think back on how things could have been if I had handed it over to her.

I then flagged down one of the campus shuttles and sat near the front. The kitten was in my lap now and just about everyone who got on and off asked me about it. It was like he was taking a nap and the thought would have been a lot more endearing if I didn't understand the grave reality of the situation. I eventually got back to the station, got my boss to agree to let me off early, and had one of my coworkers drive me to the vet my fiancee and I still go to. I got it checked in and the vet gave it various injections and formula though a syringe. After it was put back away in a carrier, the vet pulled me aside. "I'm going to level with you... there's a pretty good chance he's not going to make it. He's very malnourished and the waking and sleeping cycles might indicate brain damage. Do you understand?" I did and I left him in their care for the night. As you might have guessed, Smash Bros was the last thing on my mind at the time.

The next day came and I was told to come back to the vet office. He had survived the night but still wasn't doing super great. He was still anemic and choke full of parasites but both could be managed with medication, basically meaning I had no choice but to at least foster him. It was then time to pay the vet bill. The total came out within a few dollars of what I had saved up for the SSB4 bundle. It was funny in a Gift of the Magi sort of way so I couldn't even bring myself to be mad. I had wanted Smash 4 since 2012 but I had to recognize that this kitten was more important. It made me think of the probably thousands of hours I had spent on this boards on a near daily basis. Grad school was pissing on me and trying to convince me that it was rain so it and my then girlfriend were kind of the only breaks that I had in my life that was 60+ hour work weeks across multiple jobs on top of my studies. Still, this mattered more... a lot more.

I wound up taking him home, sneaking him past our landlord's son, and putting him in my girlfriend and I's personal bathroom. In the time before my girlfriend came home from work, I started thinking of names. I kept thinking about how he was practically lifeless and how he seemingly by some miracle came back to life in my hands. The similarities played out too perfectly... I had a name I had been saving for a pet since I was 8 years old... In those days, waiting for Smash 4, I regularly typed Geno 4 SSB4 but now it had more meaning to it. I gave up the game I had waited years for on that day for that kitten. So that was it... Geno for SSB4.

Geno's still with me to this day. Because of the experience, he has a voracious appetite and an undying sense of loyalty. His celebrated birthday is November 21st even though he was likely actually born in October. Because of the sacrifice I made that day, I didn't buy the Wii U version of Smash 4 until early 2017. I reasoned I was too busy anyways, which was true because, although no longer working the crazy hours that I did, I was still working full time and you just kind of have to pump the brakes on that sort of thing as you get older and have more responsibilities anyways. Geno turns four this year and it makes me happy that, whenever I watch Nintendo Directs on my bed, he'll lay at my feet. This means that, if and when the day comes, Geno will be there when his namesake is confirmed. Call it sappy, sentimental, what have you, but this just adds another layer to why I've been wanting Geno in Smash Bros for so long. I finally got to use a name I had been saving since childhood and it played out wonderfully for a cat that adores me. In the end, I hope it all works out. I hope I can be there with Geno and hopefully my wife to have something I've been waiting 22 years to have: for my favorite childhood character to come back in what's ultimately (pun intended) become the video game character Hall of Fame. Hopefully, that day comes soon.
What a sweet story :) I'm glad you were there to save lil' Geno. ^^

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
When negotiated for a Mii costume in Smash, they probably didn't have any negotiations for M&L.
I don't think that for a Easter Egg Nintendo would need to mutch negotiation, since Square agreed with Geno showing up on a recent game (SMB4) and on the original one. I don't know, something does not feel right... Nintendo make the impossible happen with Cloud and Geno on SMB4, released so much FFs games on Switch and getting Geno as an easter egg on M&L was too much complex? Doesn't feel like the problem is Square, Alpha Dream or Sakurai, sometimes it feels like the problem is Nintendo sabotaging somehow SMRPG's love due to a different view on how a Mario's RPG game should be

Klimax

Smash Ace
I don't think that for a Easter Egg Nintendo would need to mutch negotiation, since Square agreed with Geno showing up on a recent game (SMB4) and on the original one. I don't know, something does not feel right... Nintendo make the impossible happen with Cloud and Geno on SMB4, released so much FFs games on Switch and getting Geno as an easter egg on M&L was too much complex? Doesn't feel like the problem is Square, Alpha Dream or Sakurai, sometimes it feels like the problem is Nintendo sabotaging somehow SMRPG's love due to a different view on how a Mario's RPG game should be
Even for a Easter Egg, you have to negociate. I think the only reason is that they just didn't care about an easter egg. And people didn't care about Geno not having his easter egg in that game. How is Nintendo sabotaging SMRPG when they finally acknowledged it after 22 years ? Also, why would they sabotage a game that the majority of people in Europe don't even know ?

The simple answer is that they probably didn't care about that easter egg and didn't bother asking Square Enix to get Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This doesn't get brought up too often, but aside from Daisy we still don't have our new Mario character. So there's some more points for Geno.
It's a fair point to make though because new Mario characters are one of the most reliable trends for newcomers:

Smash 64- 2 (technically 3 with Yoshi, 4 if you want to split hairs with DK)
Melee- 3
Brawl- 0 (2 if you want to split hairs with Diddy and Wario)
3DS/Wii U- 2 + the return of Doc

Even without technicalities it still averages out to roughly 2 rounded up.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Well, we know that Sakurai specifically called dibs on bringing K. Rool back in Ultimate, even though Retro were planning to have him show up as a secret boss in Tropical Freeze Switch, so I'm guessing he probably did the same thing with Geno and that's why the cameo got axed for no apparent reason. There's also the fact that Bowser's Minions was pretty much a budget title, so they may not have wanted to shell out the cash for such a minor cameo anyway.
I also don't buy that Nintendo is trying to sack Geno or SMRPG in any way. You said it yourself, the game was on both the Wii and Wii U's Virtual Console, as well as the SNES Classic more recently, and they even acknowledged its anniversary on Twitter this year and mentioned Geno by name. Clearly, Nintendo isn't trying to make people "forget" this game or its characters, otherwise it wouldn't have seen anywhere near as many rereleases as it has and Geno himself probably wouldn't have even gotten so much as a Mii Costume in recent years.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Well, we know that Sakurai specifically called dibs on bringing K. Rool back in Ultimate, even though Retro were planning to have him as a secret boss in Tropical Freeze Switch, so I'm guessing he probably did the same thing with Geno and that's why the cameo got axed for no apparent reason. There's also the fact that Bowser's Minions was pretty much a budget title, so they may not have wanted to shell out the cash for such a minor cameo anyway.
I also don't buy that Nintendo is trying to sack Geno or SMRPG in any way. You said it yourself, the game was on both the Wii and Wii U's Virtual Console, as well as the SNES Classic more recently, and they even acknowledged its anniversary on Twitter this year and mentioned Geno by name. Clearly, Nintendo isn't trying to make people "forget" this game or its characters, otherwise it wouldn't have seen anywhere near as many rereleases as it has and Geno himself probably wouldn't have even gotten so much as a Mii Costume in recent years.
Those are all very good points.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Even for a Easter Egg, you have to negociate. I think the only reason is that they just didn't care about an easter egg. And people didn't care about Geno not having his easter egg in that game. How is Nintendo sabotaging SMRPG when they finally acknowledged it after 22 years ? Also, why would they sabotage a game that the majority of people in Europe don't even know ?

The simple answer is that they probably didn't care about that easter egg and didn't bother asking Square Enix to get Geno.
Well, we know that Sakurai specifically called dibs on bringing K. Rool back in Ultimate, even though Retro were planning to have him as a secret boss in Tropical Freeze Switch, so I'm guessing he probably did the same thing with Geno and that's why the cameo got axed for no apparent reason. There's also the fact that Bowser's Minions was pretty much a budget title, so they may not have wanted to shell out the cash for such a minor cameo anyway.
You guys are probably right!
So, another subject: If Nintendo isn't sabotaging SMRPG and Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi sales beeing so low, maybe with Geno on Smash Ultimate it's time to start fighting for a SMRPG Remake or Sequel? Do you guys think that it's possible or t's probably never going to happen?

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
Geno story time? Geno story time. Alright, here comes Grandpa Fatman with Tales of Yore. This one is from the SSB4 days. I've shared this elsewhere on this site but I don't think I've ever detailed it in any of the Geno threads before.

It was November 21st, 2014. The big day had arrived. Smash Wii U was coming out. Things lined up perfectly. It was pay day and I had plans to pick up the game as soon as I got off work. Despite regularly being financially wrecked because of grad school, I had managed to set aside enough money for not only the game but limited edition Gamecube controller and adapter. All I had to do was survive my shift and the game was mine.

At the time, I was a student supervisor for the parking division of the campus police. This meant that I had to walk around campus and make sure people were doing their job (writing parking tickets but, hey, it got me out of school without debt). So, I was doing this and I was enjoying the walk because the weather was nice. I had gotten to one of the farthest parking lots on campus when I was approached by two international students. They asked me for help and then they showed me what I presumed was a dead tuxedo kitten. I was taken back a bit, as anyone would be. "We found it in the bushes and... we don't know what to do." I then told them that I would take it because I was friends with the owner of a local pet supply store literally in walking distance of where we were. They handed it to me and then quietly left.

For a few minutes, I was holding a kitten that had its eyes closed and barely any heat to it. I assumed that it had recently died and that the least I could do was take it somewhere it would be properly disposed of instead of being food for some random raccoon. So, I began my walk, trying to not bring too much attention to the fact that I was basically carrying a dead baby animal. I got to the side walk leading to the store when suddenly, if almost by magic, the kitten sprung to life. It looked at me, I looked at it. It was apparent that we were both a bit freaked out. "Uh..." I didn't have much time to really process what had happened because then the kitten tried to get away and was hardcore biting my hands. It was weak though and quickly tired itself out. The roof of its mouth was chalk white which meant that it was anemic and super close to starving to death. Soon the punk passed out and he closed his eyes and went dormant again. It was in that moment... that I fell in love with the little guy.

There was a change of plans but I couldn't decide what they were going to be. My landlord was incredibly strict at the time and me and my soon to be wife would have probably faced eviction if we were caught with a third cat. "Okay, right, I can't keep him..." I then walked over to the student center on campus. About every 5 minutes, the kitten would wake up, freak out, try to murder my hand, and then pass out from exhaustion. I sat in the student lounge and phoned up animal control. They said they'd send someone so I sat, waiting anxiously. Thirty minutes passed and the kitten went through its cycles: wake, bite, pass out, repeat. My hand hurt like a MF but I wanted to see this through. As time passed, I began to realize the mistake I had made. This was a stray kitten that would probably die by the end of the day if it didn't get help. It became grossly apparent that animal control would probably euthanize it without a second thought so I got up and left. "Damnit, this is happening all too fast..."

I walked outside and almost got hit by a car. The driver was mad until I showed them the kitten and told them the story. She looked at it and then me with quiet concern and then said "I can take him to the vet if you want." Do you ever have those moments in your life when you know that a decision made right then and there would affect thousands down the road? There I was, at a literal and metaphorical crosswalk when I look at the passed out kitten again. You become quickly attached to something as its literally dying in your hands so I told her that I would do it. She understood and left. Sometimes I think back on how things could have been if I had handed it over to her.

I then flagged down one of the campus shuttles and sat near the front. The kitten was in my lap now and just about everyone who got on and off asked me about it. It was like he was taking a nap and the thought would have been a lot more endearing if I didn't understand the grave reality of the situation. I eventually got back to the station, got my boss to agree to let me off early, and had one of my coworkers drive me to the vet my fiancee and I still go to. I got it checked in and the vet gave it various injections and formula though a syringe. After it was put back away in a carrier, the vet pulled me aside. "I'm going to level with you... there's a pretty good chance he's not going to make it. He's very malnourished and the waking and sleeping cycles might indicate brain damage. Do you understand?" I did and I left him in their care for the night. As you might have guessed, Smash Bros was the last thing on my mind at the time.

The next day came and I was told to come back to the vet office. He had survived the night but still wasn't doing super great. He was still anemic and choke full of parasites but both could be managed with medication, basically meaning I had no choice but to at least foster him. It was then time to pay the vet bill. The total came out within a few dollars of what I had saved up for the SSB4 bundle. It was funny in a Gift of the Magi sort of way so I couldn't even bring myself to be mad. I had wanted Smash 4 since 2012 but I had to recognize that this kitten was more important. It made me think of the probably thousands of hours I had spent on this boards on a near daily basis. Grad school was pissing on me and trying to convince me that it was rain so it and my then girlfriend were kind of the only breaks that I had in my life that was 60+ hour work weeks across multiple jobs on top of my studies. Still, this mattered more... a lot more.

I wound up taking him home, sneaking him past our landlord's son, and putting him in my girlfriend and I's personal bathroom. In the time before my girlfriend came home from work, I started thinking of names. I kept thinking about how he was practically lifeless and how he seemingly by some miracle came back to life in my hands. The similarities played out too perfectly... I had a name I had been saving for a pet since I was 8 years old... In those days, waiting for Smash 4, I regularly typed Geno 4 SSB4 but now it had more meaning to it. I gave up the game I had waited years for on that day for that kitten. So that was it... Geno for SSB4.

Geno's still with me to this day. Because of the experience, he has a voracious appetite and an undying sense of loyalty. His celebrated birthday is November 21st even though he was likely actually born in October. Because of the sacrifice I made that day, I didn't buy the Wii U version of Smash 4 until early 2017. I reasoned I was too busy anyways, which was true because, although no longer working the crazy hours that I did, I was still working full time and you just kind of have to pump the brakes on that sort of thing as you get older and have more responsibilities anyways. Geno turns four this year and it makes me happy that, whenever I watch Nintendo Directs on my bed, he'll lay at my feet. This means that, if and when the day comes, Geno will be there when his namesake is confirmed. Call it sappy, sentimental, what have you, but this just adds another layer to why I've been wanting Geno in Smash Bros for so long. I finally got to use a name I had been saving since childhood and it played out wonderfully for a cat that adores me. In the end, I hope it all works out. I hope I can be there with Geno and hopefully my wife to have something I've been waiting 22 years to have: for my favorite childhood character to come back in what's ultimately (pun intended) become the video game character Hall of Fame. Hopefully, that day comes soon.
That's an amazing story! Do you have any pictures of him?

So, another subject: If Nintendo isn't sabotaging SMRPG and Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi sales beeing so low, maybe with Geno on Smash Ultimate it's time to start fighting for a SMRPG Remake or Sequel? Do you guys think that it's possible or t's probably never going to happen?
It's quite possible. As of lately we've seen that Nintendo and Square are on much better terms, with the Final Fantasy ports and whatnot, so It definetly wouldn't be Impossible. As of now, I would think It's mainly about whether Nintendo and Square actually want to create a remake.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I think a remake or sequel could be somewhat possible if Geno makes it into Ultimate, which would make him the trojan horse for getting a sequel or remake of SMRPG.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How about this, everybody: what are some of your favorite/most memorable SMRPG enemies? No bosses, just the mooks. For me, Octovader always stood out. I mean, it's like a squid-Snifit held up by those flying shells from Mario Bros. 3? How did that idea get greenlit?
I find Arachne to have a badass design. Also, its Psycopath thought just being DAY~O! is amusing to me.

The K-9s are neat as well, they seemed to me like mechanical dogs/wolves.

Then there's the Bahamutts, essentially giant mutated yoshi dragons.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

Could be a similar case to K. Rool, where Retro wanted to bring him back in the Switch port of Tropical Freeze, but Sakurai called dibs on reviving him first.
But that would probably hold more water if K. Rool was in the original version to begin with.

It also could be one of Miyamoto's weird arbitrary made up nonsensical mandates about what can and cannot appear in certain Mario games. ( I'm only assuming that's the case though. But he does seem very particular. )

EDIT: someone beat me to it, I should read the whole thread before replying.

God I would love a true sequel or even a remake. I don't know if I'd want Geno to return since his arc seems pretty well concluded, but if they could organically work him into the story somehow, I wouldn't complain. I just want another amazing Mario RPG on a home console, Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi just don't do it for me anymore.

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
well after watching the league of legends worlds trailer i decided to make artwork for super smash bros in that same type of motif. this pic is supposed to symbolize me coming back to the groove of smash because during the smash 4 days I was super into competitive smash. I went to many tournaments and many people knew me as the best megaman in norcal. all that has changed since DLC and I was burnt out in the process. but since ultimate is coming and Geno has a huge chance of getting in I dont have to solo main megaman again like is smash 4. I can finally use wolf and Geno to help with matchups megaman cant win. so this picture has me have the aesthetics of those 3 characters (wolfs pants, megaman's helmet and buster, and Geno's cape and left wooden arm. you can see some easter eggs in the pick too ( such as in my left hand I'm holding the quartz charm) but it is a bit blurry since the camera was shaky.
legendary smash player R-Senal 3.JPG

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
well after watching the league of legends worlds trailer i decided to make artwork for super smash bros in that same type of motif. this pic is supposed to symbolize me coming back to the groove of smash because during the smash 4 days I was super into competitive smash. I went to many tournaments and many people knew me as the best megaman in norcal. all that has changed since DLC and I was burnt out in the process. but since ultimate is coming and Geno has a huge chance of getting in I dont have to solo main megaman again like is smash 4. I can finally use wolf and Geno to help with matchups megaman cant win. so this picture has me have the aesthetics of those 3 characters (wolfs pants, megaman's helmet and buster, and Geno's cape and left wooden arm. you can see some easter eggs in the pick too ( such as in my left hand I'm holding the quartz charm) but it is a bit blurry since the camera was shaky.View attachment 167123
Dude, this looks amazing! :D

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
well after watching the league of legends worlds trailer i decided to make artwork for super smash bros in that same type of motif. this pic is supposed to symbolize me coming back to the groove of smash because during the smash 4 days I was super into competitive smash. I went to many tournaments and many people knew me as the best megaman in norcal. all that has changed since DLC and I was burnt out in the process. but since ultimate is coming and Geno has a huge chance of getting in I dont have to solo main megaman again like is smash 4. I can finally use wolf and Geno to help with matchups megaman cant win. so this picture has me have the aesthetics of those 3 characters (wolfs pants, megaman's helmet and buster, and Geno's cape and left wooden arm. you can see some easter eggs in the pick too ( such as in my left hand I'm holding the quartz charm) but it is a bit blurry since the camera was shaky.View attachment 167123
That’s a really cool drawing.

TBone06

Smash Ace
That's a fantastic point. The situations actually are quite comparable, and there's no question Sakurai likes the character. I can see him wanting to be responsible for his return as well. Imagine.. the guy who brings back K. Rool and Geno back to life. I can see it.

link2702

Smash Champion
Really wish i was better at drawing...i do it on and off mostly just to relax, but I’m not anywhere close to what you’d call good. Best I’ve ever done has been fred flintstone’s head and body, and then one lesson from art academy 3ds that I sketched in real life as opposed to the touch screen (was the side portrait of a man’s head)...

I tend to stay away from trying to draw people, Cartoon or not, as i can never get anything symmetrical, especially eyes. That’s why I tended to attempt landscapes but even those come out terrible to where I abandon the piece partway. Oh well.

Anyway back on topic, as i was playing smrpg awhile ago, just realized one alt costume geno could have, it’s his purple color design when he’s been poisoned.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Wait Sakurai calls dibs on reviving characters? meaning Geno not being in the Mario & Luigi remake could potentially actually be sign that Geno is in smash?! putting that in my list of mental notes of why Geno is gonna be in ultimate! ;) (granted it's a weaker point)

and boy is that a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list!

That kitten story makes me want Geno in smash even more now!!

I really gotta watch those SMRPG let's plays from Projared. I love ProJared! as everybody should! (side note. I love how TOVG has polls about random topics but every one of them has an option that is "ProJared" which is always the most voted. they've turned their love of ProJared into a meme and that's just wholesome. Still wanna see someone make ProJarette)

That Geno/Megaman/Wolf art is incredible!

When Geno gets into ultimate something strange will happen for me. something unfamiliar for me. I will become a character loyalist. I'm just hoping he's top tier so I can still win tournaments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cute cat. Anyway Geno hopefully Geno returns in some way.

I do think he will besides Smash.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice

That was ****ing beautiful, my man. I wish all my blessings and good will in the world towards you for such an incredible act of kindness.

Geno looks adorable too!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, we know that Sakurai specifically called dibs on bringing K. Rool back in Ultimate, even though Retro were planning to have him show up as a secret boss in Tropical Freeze Switch, so I'm guessing he probably did the same thing with Geno and that's why the cameo got axed for no apparent reason. There's also the fact that Bowser's Minions was pretty much a budget title, so they may not have wanted to shell out the cash for such a minor cameo anyway.
I could totally see this being the case. A surprise cameo in Tropical Freeze really would have taken the piss and thunder out of K. Rool's Smash reveal. In the same suit, the K. Rool costume in SSB4 was a strange blend of aggravation and hope that our fanbase has taken on, especially in the light that both used new assests. The eye bulging, table gripping anticipation of it all is compounded by the fact that Inkling, Chrom, and Isabelle became characters too and even used assests from their Mii costumes like Isabelle's party popper and important distinctions like K. Rool's tail and golden stomach despite both not being part of the character's design since DKC3.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
a5BY4mxAOItYaiftBYJbceBF-o-ojKiaJpOJExQY-zY.png

Even with the Kingdom Hearts Subforum ****ting on Geno fans, Geno still won the poll by A LOT MORE than he beat Crash. %-wise at least.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
View attachment 167189

Even with the Kingdom Hearts Subforum ****ting on Geno fans, Geno still won the poll by A LOT MORE than he beat Crash. %-wise at least.
That is suprising, I thought Sora can take this win because he is more recognizable to the general and Smash consensus but I was wrong.

Sakurai's blessing help Geno in a long run.

Last edited:

slopdop

Smash Cadet
I'm really surprised that Geno won this round. Even more so compared to the tight round against Crash.

edit: Also that Geno design shirt is incredible, decided to buy it yesterday.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How about this, everybody: what are some of your favorite/most memorable SMRPG enemies? No bosses, just the mooks. For me, Octovader always stood out. I mean, it's like a squid-Snifit held up by those flying shells from Mario Bros. 3? How did that idea get greenlit?
Let's see...

I really liked the terrapin design and I'm glad that it stuck around at least for the Paper Mario games.

Crook and all its variants had a great design and I liked how they were super fast and threw knifes longer than their arms.

Enigma was just a head trip because it was a flying bat pig that was actually a giant swarm of tiny bat pigs that somehow could do really strong magic.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Damn, Geno won with 54,5%, I was scared about this round but the Starsend Savior still won !

We'll do our best, but facing Banjo & Kazooie is going to be hard... REALLY hard !:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom