• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
We were talking about favorite enemies earlier; I wanna talk about some of my favorite boss battles.

I mentioned Yaridovich already, since as a kid I found him difficult to combat with the water blast attack and I like the nice cliffside ocean setting with the sunset. I also really like the battle against Booster if you get caught by his snifits (it's especially funny when he attacks you by crashing his train into you) and the two clowns Knife Guy and Grate Guy, and of course the Culex boss for being so tricky if you don't know how to prepare for it, along with having a nice reference to Final Fantasy IV with the boss battle music. The final battle against Smithy is also a favorite for the memorable music tracks, especially the second phase. I used to let it sit on Smithy's true form just to hear the music repeat a number of times before resuming play. It's made even better when you're rewarded for defeating him with one of my favorite video game endings ever with the seven stars showing us the different outcomes of the characters you've met along your journey, and the wonderful parade sequence and Geno's departure. It's just an all-around memorable experience that you don't want to end when it does, like reading a really good book.

SilvaFoxx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3801 5198 0320
With all of the characters that have been revealed thus far for Ultimate, and Square Enix seeming to be more open to Nintendo, especially after Cloud was added to Wii U/3DS, Geno is probably the only character that I want that's yet to be revealed. I'm fine with how the roster ends either way, but I've been pulling for the boy for 10 years. Hopefully his time to shine once more will come.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
With all of the characters that have been revealed thus far for Ultimate, and Square Enix seeming to be more open to Nintendo, especially after Cloud was added to Wii U/3DS, Geno is probably the only character that I want that's yet to be revealed. I'm fine with how the roster ends either way, but I've been pulling for the boy for 10 years. Hopefully his time to shine once more will come.
I still have a hard time believing that Geno is going to be one of the last newcomers like #70, but I guess Geno is special enough to warrant that. To me he is. Question is, is that what Sakurai's plan is? Ken, Incineroar and Geno? I hope Vergeben is right. It would complete the triforce of Smash requests, Ridley at E3, K. Rool from August Smash Direct, and then Geno for the final Direct.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I still have a hard time believing that Geno is going to be one of the last newcomers like #70, but I guess Geno is special enough to warrant that. To me he is. Question is, is that what Sakurai's plan is? Ken, Incineroar and Geno? I hope Vergeben is right. It would complete the triforce of Smash requests, Ridley at E3, K. Rool from August Smash Direct, and then Geno for the final Direct.
It would make sense to complete the trinity, but if he’s not in, it would just feel odd to me for some reason.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I didn't know Mario RPG made it to the SNESmini! Trying not to raise expectations over here...

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
While we've been in a season of waiting for any Smash news I decided to get the Mii Fighter outfit recently for the 3DS last week. Pretty cool to at least have something here.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Like I said before, Geno is not only a fan favorite, but also a retro rep, WTF character, and a 3rd party. Not to mention a newcomer with a unique hook and look that can capture the interest of those who don't know him (similar to Pit.) He's also a Mario character, and a favorite of Sakurai's. He's one of the only characters I know who can be so many things to so many different people.

When you really think about it, Geno actually ticks all the boxes for what a final reveal could be. There's nobody MORE special, really.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
While we've been in a season of waiting for any Smash news I decided to get the Mii Fighter outfit recently for the 3DS last week. Pretty cool to at least have something here.

Imagine this was leaked back in the Smash 4 days, before the official announcement, goodness this would hurt so many souls

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Imagine this was leaked back in the Smash 4 days, before the official announcement, goodness this would hurt so many souls
Thing is, it actually was. The day before the final Direct, Random Talking Bush datamined the Geno hat and posted it on Twitter. Many tears were shed that day.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Thing is, it actually was. The day before the final Direct, Random Talking Bush datamined the Geno hat and posted it on Twitter. Many tears were shed that day.
Really? I wasn’t aware :0 I even missed the direct when it was officially announced so it completely went past my radar until I saw it in the afternoon

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Wow!!! I'm surprised Geno won against Sora. I expected him to lose out there, but good job Geno Squad! We pulled through, and I'm so impressed! I'm really starting to think he could take the whole tournament. :)

I'm starting to feel the lack of information hit me. It's roughly 9 more weeks from this point and I'm almost done with Octopath Traveler (which was supposed to last me until Ultimate released haha.) And I feel like I'm bouncing up and down every second day-- one day Geno is a lock, the next he doesn't stand a chance. The cold shoulder from the devs makes it hard to stay positive.

On an unrelated note, anybody have any good game recommendations to keep me occupied for a couple of months? :laugh:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Wow!!! I'm surprised Geno won against Sora. I expected him to lose out there, but good job Geno Squad! We pulled through, and I'm so impressed! I'm really starting to think he could take the whole tournament. :)

I'm starting to feel the lack of information hit me. It's roughly 9 more weeks from this point and I'm almost done with Octopath Traveler (which was supposed to last me until Ultimate released haha.) And I feel like I'm bouncing up and down every second day-- one day Geno is a lock, the next he doesn't stand a chance. The cold shoulder from the devs makes it hard to stay positive.

On an unrelated note, anybody have any good game recommendations to keep me occupied for a couple of months? :laugh:
Played Hollow Knight yet? That game can consume your life for at least a few weeks. It staved off the info drought for me for a few weeks, at least. Probably the best Metroidvania I've ever played.

Luckily, I still have Xenoblade 2 to play, so I can always do that to fill the time. Goodbye, hundreds of hours of my life, lol.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If Sora makes it in, that means that other Media franchises such as Toei Animations, Dreamworks, and many others will have a chance. This means that even Mickey, Goku and Shrek has the higher probability. Sakurai does not like to add non-video game characters to Smash and despite Sora being a Disney character, the company is not.
Pffft, ahahahaha!

Sorry, that was a bit rude, but you made a crazy logic jump there my friend. Just because Sakurai has to work with Disney to get Sora and Disney is a media company doesn't mean Mickey or Shrek have a chance to be in Smash. That's actual ludicrous.

Sora was designed by Square, they just don't completely own him all to themselves, Disney does. Sora is a video game character and his manga (which I believe is the only other form of official media that has come out for him EDIT: just learned KH also has a CCG, wish I would have know about that before) came out after the game. Thus, as you mentioned with Pokemon, Sora is in the same position: Video game character first, and as long as Disney plays ball and gets what they want, Sora can easily make it into Smash.

So no, you are kinda just wrong about the whole situation.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
The thing about Sora is that, despite being a fan favorite and relevant, Disney is an issue that Sora must face.

Disney usually represents more on to the media side. Disney is well known for their animation, they are not recognizable for their video games however.

Sega, Capcom, Bandi, Konami and Nintendo were well known for developing Video Games. But, Disney usually does not fit to that mold.

Smash Bros represent the Video Game Crossover as a whole. Many Video Game Companies will have a good chance to have their own character in Smash. Disney however, is closely tied to more on Animation and merchandising from what I known. It does not fit to that crossover too well imo.

That is my speculation though and things may change for a bit.

Last edited:

ThatIsFalco

Smash Rookie
Pffft, ahahahaha!

Sorry, that was a bit rude, but you made a crazy logic jump there my friend. Just because Sakurai has to work with Disney to get Sora and Disney is a media company doesn't mean Mickey or Shrek have a chance to be in Smash. That's actual ludicrous.

Sora was designed by Square, they just don't completely own him all to themselves, Disney does. Sora is a video game character and his manga (which I believe is the only other form of official media that has come out for him EDIT: just learned KH also has a CCG, wish I would have know about that before) came out after the game. Thus, as you mentioned with Pokemon, Sora is in the same position: Video game character first, and as long as Disney plays ball and gets what they want, Sora can easily make it into Smash.

So no, you are kinda just wrong about the whole situation.
Well, I wouldn't write him off that fast.

After all, Smash started with originally being just a culmination of huge, iconic, and relevant Nintendo franchises in Smash 64. In Melee, we saw more irrelevant, retro, and/or undiscovered fighters from Nintendo franchises.

In Brawl, we got 3rd party video game characters, which started the notion that Smash is more than just a Nintendo All-Star fighting game, but rather a Video Game All-Star fighting game. Once Snake and Sonic were introduced, it became less of a dream to ask for other 3rd party icons like Megaman, Pacman, etc, which leads into Smash 4. While the base roster wasn't too innovating of this concept, its DLC displayed just how much influence and popularity the Smash franchise has, to be able to get a character like Cloud, from a company that broke up with and ignored Nintendo for the longest time, and from a game that marked the division between the two companies. After Cloud, many believed that no one (not even non-game-based characters) were out of the realm of possibility.

As you can see, each entry in the series has some sort of mind-blowing, never thought would be able to happen, type of fighter(s). And with each step away from the original Nintendo All-Star battle royale concept, the next step seems more likely to occur. Again, the biggest example are Sonic and Snake, which probably changed the future of the Smash franchise more than anything else.

Finally, with Ultimate, some are speculating Sora, a Disney character, has a chance. Again, Cloud gave people hope that anyone would be willing to work with Sakurai for their hero to guest star in Super Smash Bros, even Disney. And if he does indeed get in, even as DLC, this only opens the floodgates to serious requests from non-video game characters. In fact, we are already have one who some think theorize(d) might have/had a good chance: Goku.

Personally, I would also not like any non-game characters, but I truly think Sora would not help us maintain whatever legacy Smash still has.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Yeah, but here’s hoping that we eventually get a fully fleshed out character soon.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Sora was designed by Square, they just don't completely own him all to themselves, Disney does .... Thus, as you mentioned with Pokemon, Sora is in the same position: Video game character first, and as long as Disney plays ball and gets what they want, Sora can easily make it into Smash.
First, the Pokemon company first started created video games but Disney company first started creating animations. The Pokemon Company created and own Pokemon. Square Enix design KoH but Disney owned rights for the series.

If Disney added Sora for Smash, should they added say Mickey and his friends or a Disney stage? Sure, Sora doesn't need them but Disney should at least show some Disney representation? Not only it represent Disney itself but also represent Kingdom Heart in whole: A series that represent the fantasy side of Disney and Final Fantasy while having its own complex story?

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I don't want any Disney representation in Smash. Not because I hate the company or the characters, I just fear the incoming Goku wave that would follow.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't want any Disney representation in Smash. Not because I hate the company or the characters, I just fear the incoming Goku wave that would follow.
I don't get this. Sora is the gaming icon of Disney, literally. Goku, regardless of many DBZ games, is stil and always will be originally an anime/manga character. Nothing comparable here

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I will say this about Sora: he COULD pull it off as a fighter, but it would certainly be the closest we will ever come to having anything from non-gaming media in Smash. It is true that, regardless of whether you only use Sora himself, you would inevitably have to mention Disney properties like Donald and Goofy in at least his trophy description. The Disney media tie-in aspect of KH is integral to the core of the series, so this is unavoidable.

Now, will that happen? It's not impossible, but it would be very bizarre to see. And I think Sakurai knows that. So if it does happen, I sincerely doubt it will ever go any further than that.

Not that I can say for sure...I've been trying to think of some other instances of non-gaming media in Smash, and the closest I can get is that whole Goldeneye items thing back in Melee. Other than that, you're only looking at public domain stuff, like Dracula and Medusa. Considering all this, I'm curious how far they'll go with referencing Code Name Steam, as the Wizard of Oz stuff gets pretty dangerously close to feeling out of place.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
In my opinion, it would be weird to have Sora in without any Disney representation. And it would be weird to have Disney representation in Smash. The Final Fantasy side of KH is so intertwined with the Disney side that it would feel like half of Sora is missing. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to get away with no Disney stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My whole opinion on this Sora thing goes like this, he is a Square Enix character that belongs to Disney, like how Geno is kinda a Mario character that belongs to Square. His origin is in Video Games, and I don't think his inclusion would be the Smash equivalent to Pandora's Box. I will say this though, why would Sakurai go for Sora when there is other less stressful and difficult options that are more popular(Geno), more gaming influence(Dragon's Quest character), and more iconic(Lara Croft).

On a more "Idea that has been invading my brain for the past hour" note, that Rosalina art in the Mario Odyssey art book(The one in the spoiler below) got me thinking about what Geno and Rosalina would do on a casual day, since there has always been a prevalent head cannon that she is his "Higher authority." If he is some helping hand, I just picture the two strolling around New Donk, with him carrying most of the bag's from the shopping Rosalina has done. Not to the point of comical stress on him, just him lending a helping hand for her and it being quite sweet and wholesome picture. What do you guys kinda think about a more casual Geno? We have only ever seen him in times of stress, and I do wonder how diffrent his nature would be if the land was not in danger.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
My whole opinion on this Sora thing goes like this, he is a Square Enix character that belongs to Disney, like how Geno is kinda a Mario character that belongs to Square. His origin is in Video Games, and I don't think his inclusion would be the Smash equivalent to Pandora's Box. I will say this though, why would Sakurai go for Sora when there is other less stressful and difficult options that are more popular(Geno), more gaming influence(Dragon's Quest character), and more iconic(Lara Croft).

On a more "Idea that has been invading my brain for the past hour" note, that Rosalina art in the Mario Odyssey art book(The one in the spoiler below) got me thinking about what Geno and Rosalina would do on a casual day, since there has always been a prevalent head cannon that she is his "Higher authority." If he is some helping hand, I just picture the two strolling around New Donk, with him carrying most of the bag's from the shopping Rosalina has done. Not to the point of comical stress on him, just him lending a helping hand for her and it being quite sweet and wholesome picture. What do you guys kinda think about a more casual Geno? We have only ever seen him in times of stress, and I do wonder how diffrent his nature would be if the land was not in danger.
Ooh, I like this question.

To me, Geno being casual looks like him relaxing on a park bench on Star Road, reading a book by the light of stars just kind of floating around in the air (sorta looks Star Haven from PM in my head.) He's just smiling to himself while he flips through the pages. Geno just seems bookish to me, I don't know why.

I could see him playing music, too, just like that Rosa picture. But he'd play either a flute or violin rather than guitar.

Basically, Geno's sophisticated, but easygoing (and badass when the situation calls, of course.) That's how he strikes me. Again, that's kinda like Dunban...somehow I always come back to that, lol.

Can that be a thing? Geno is the Dunban of the Mario Universe?:p

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ooh, I like this question.

To me, Geno being casual looks like him relaxing on a park bench on Star Road, reading a book by the light of stars just kind of floating around in the air (sorta looks Star Haven from PM in my head.) He's just smiling to himself while he flips through the pages. Geno just seems bookish to me, I don't know why.

I could see him playing music, too, just like that Rosa picture. But he'd play either a flute or violin rather than guitar.

Basically, Geno's sophisticated, but easygoing (and badass when the situation calls, of course.) That's how he strikes me. Again, that's kinda like Dunban...somehow I always come back to that, lol.

I do have to say, it might be hard for him to do that sort of stuff when he is just a tiny star:laugh:. But anyway, if he were to keep watch over the land in his more material doll state, I could easily see him doing that sort of stuff. Appreciate the peace of the world to remind himself of it's importance, that sort of thing. As for music, I could see him playing something like the violin or piano(Woodwind instruments are a bit weird for him. Can he even blow wind as a doll?).

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice

Undertale? It's a good JRPG that you can finish in a few different ways to get different ends.
Also the game is really charming and has this crazy sympathetic charming characters that you are going to miss when the game ends, what resembles SMRPG's NPCs a bit.
Also the game has a very interesting gameplay.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I doodled our boy last night,

Dude that's awesome! I absolutely love the touch of putting the little stars onto the cape!

Geno as the Dunban of mario just makes so much sense to me.

Also super jazzed to hear we beat Sora in that poll!! really goes to show just how much love for Geno there is out there. feels like as time goes on I'm running into more and more people who love Geno :D
although it's kinda had me thinking about the relationship between Sora and Geno for this upcoming game.

because with the vergeben leak that just says "A Square Enix Character" both fanbases are thinking it means them! sure we have our arguments to say it's not them. but that is not stopping them from strongly believing Sora is gonna get in at this point. it's nice that smashboards is such a chill place for the most part. because out there in the untamed wilds it can be far more hostile.

As I see it it's almost as if Geno and Sora are in a cold war now. and when the the SE character gets announce one of those two fanbases will be PISSED!!! and that war will go hot! I hope that if Sora did get in that all of us were able to be civil and show respect despite our disappointment.
but if we are the one to get in..... just be ready for the storm that will come our way... I'll try not to be boastful to those who are disappointed because I do actually like Sora and want him in (just only after Geno get's in first. I might be seen as a traitor to them :p ) well unless someone complains with a more angry attitude in tournament. but that's more just because of my villain persona.

Last edited:

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Played Hollow Knight yet? That game can consume your life for at least a few weeks. It staved off the info drought for me for a few weeks, at least. Probably the best Metroidvania I've ever played.

Luckily, I still have Xenoblade 2 to play, so I can always do that to fill the time. Goodbye, hundreds of hours of my life, lol.
I have! Hollow Knight is the best game I've played in the past couple of years, it was really amazing. Some of the most fluid gameplay I've experienced in a long time, especially from an Indie studio. Felt on par with Mario Odyssey to me.

As for XC2... I tried out XCX on the WiiU when it was around and was never able to get into it. I probably put 10 hours into the game 2 or 3 different times and just still didn't want to keep playing so I assumed XC2 would be the same...

Undertale? It's a good JRPG that you can finish in a few different ways to get different ends.
Also the game is really charming and has this crazy sympathetic charming characters that you are going to miss when the game ends, what resembles SMRPG's NPCs a bit.
Also the game has a very interesting gameplay.
I played Undertale and did all the endings in 2016 I think. The Sans fight was brutal gotta say... But yeah it was very charming. The sense of humor was definitely up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I have! Hollow Knight is the best game I've played in the past couple of years, it was really amazing. Some of the most fluid gameplay I've experienced in a long time, especially from an Indie studio. Felt on par with Mario Odyssey to me.

As for XC2... I tried out XCX on the WiiU when it was around and was never able to get into it. I probably put 10 hours into the game 2 or 3 different times and just still didn't want to keep playing so I assumed XC2 would be the same...

I played Undertale and did all the endings in 2016 I think. The Sans fight was brutal gotta say... But yeah it was very charming. The sense of humor was definitely up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion!
Man, I agree wholeheartedly about Hollow Knight. It's easily my GotY so far, and up there with Odyssey and Sonic Mania as my one of my absolute top games in the past year or so. It's amazing what Team Cherry have accomplished--I had to support them more, so I bought the Knight plushie and a Hornet pin from Fangamer. I'm obsessed with the game at this point. :grin:

Yeah, the Xeno series is one of those things you're either super into or not at all. Part of that is the ridiculous time commitment. Kind of the reason I haven't even tried XC2 yet...I know I'm gonna have to sink 200+ hours into it, and I've been holding off. I don't blame you one bit on this one.

Speaking of Undertale...I still need to get to that one! But Necro Toad Necro Toad 's point about the characters is what makes me hesitant. I tend to get WAY too attached to characters, and get super depressed when the story's over. I can usually spot the stories that'll do this to me, and Undertale's got that all over it. I know I'll love it, I just have to brace for the emotional devastation...

Right now, I'll just stick with my replay of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. :) That's one to try if you haven't already. It's the kind of game that puts the biggest smile on your face. And the ending is surprisingly heartwarming. Kinda the opposite of the Undertale effect, lol.

I've gone pretty far off topic already, but would it be acceptable to ask what everyone else is playing to calm the "waiting for Geno news" shakes?

TBone06

Smash Ace
Man, I agree wholeheartedly about Hollow Knight. It's easily my GotY so far, and up there with Odyssey and Sonic Mania as my one of my absolute top games in the past year or so. It's amazing what Team Cherry have accomplished--I had to support them more, so I bought the Knight plushie and a Hornet pin from Fangamer. I'm obsessed with the game at this point. :grin:

Yeah, the Xeno series is one of those things you're either super into or not at all. Part of that is the ridiculous time commitment. Kind of the reason I haven't even tried XC2 yet...I know I'm gonna have to sink 200+ hours into it, and I've been holding off. I don't blame you one bit on this one.

Speaking of Undertale...I still need to get to that one! But Necro Toad Necro Toad 's point about the characters is what makes me hesitant. I tend to get WAY too attached to characters, and get super depressed when the story's over. I can usually spot the stories that'll do this to me, and Undertale's got that all over it. I know I'll love it, I just have to brace for the emotional devastation...

Right now, I'll just stick with my replay of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. :) That's one to try if you haven't already. It's the kind of game that puts the biggest smile on your face. And the ending is surprisingly heartwarming. Kinda the opposite of the Undertale effect, lol.

I've gone pretty far off topic already, but would it be acceptable to ask what everyone else is playing to calm the "waiting for Geno news" shakes?
I started Golden Sun. I started it briefly before, but I was borrowing my buddy's copy. I fully intend to finish this run through. Once I finish that, I may go through Super Mario RPG again. When you're 27 with a full time job and a house, it's harder to find the time to play video games without feeling guilty. But the lull is real right now for Ultimate. There is something special about a lazy Sunday, and that's fully what I plan on having today.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Xenoblade X is... weird. I really love the original Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2, but X, I just couldn't get into, no matter how hard I tried. It's definitely the black sheep of the Xenoblade games, and if you didn't enjoy it, you shouldn't necessarily take it as an indication that the series as a whole isn't for you.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely loved the first Xenoblade Chronicles. one of the best RPGs I've ever played. a masterpiece.
But I'm not sure about what they did with 2... not a fan of them switching to the anime art style. and seems like it's become far more sexualized as well. just not my taste. guess I'm just worried that it won't feel the same. and instead it will feel like something more generic. but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom