• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Not sure what to expect from this Direct, but yeah, I would love to see Geno. Honestly, though, it's been so long that I am going to be excited to see anyone. Geno first, though!

Dan

Smash Lord
I have a gut feeling it's gonna be Geno and all the hype channels like Etika aren't gonna know how to react since they don't know who he is.

On E3, as I went to my 1 o'clock break from my ****ty job to check what happened, I was pounding my fists, chanting "Ridley! Ridley! Ridley!" (even though Sakurai said he was deconfirmed for life); today, I found myself chanting "Geno! Geno! Geno!" at the thought of the Direct. I mean, he has a really good chance; how long has Sakurai been wanting to include him? More than a decade?

And I imagine he's not gonna be the only character; probably another higher-profile newcomer and an echo; if it's Geno, K. Rool and a cool echo I never even thought of I'll go into a coma and buy all the amiibo (even though I don't care about amiibo). The signature above me has it right: Geno, K. Rool, Shadow (realistically, probably Simon instead of K. Rool).

What is with all this talk of Ashley? I would be shocked.

I second this. I can see the first character being announced a lesser popular character such as Isabelle or an Echo fighter, and the last reveal being a Geno or K. Rool. I think with timing, two characters is plausible. I’m proceeding with caution, but I hope the time is coming. Happy I’m on vacay this week!
Bruh, Isabelle is way more popular than Geno these days.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What is with all this talk of Ashley?
Well, Warioware Gold came out not to long ago, ton's of Warioware based stuff is missing like the Gamer stage, bot Ashley and Kat & Ana, her being very popular, she is a safe first party, stuff like that. Also, the Ashley thread is pretty much the most hype and active thread out of all the newcomer threads, so that leads to tons of discussion.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’ve mentioned this around before, but I’d be happy with two newcomers. One big fan request, and one more recent popular pick. Satisfy both sides. Let’s go with Ashley and Geno, or Bandanna Dee and King K Rool, or Isabelle and Isaac. I think that would be amazing to see and not kill hype for anyone really.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I wonder if Sakurai tends to get his 'popularity' choices from the Smash Community itself or just from a general audience. Like it is difficult for me to consider K.Rool or Geno to be heavily demanded by someone who likes Smash, probably plays it for a total of 30 minutes a month as he moves onto the newer games that come out 2 months later.

Or does Sakurai truly care for the Smash Communities' needs that give characters wants like K.Rool or Geno a much needed boost. Basically the crowd that is going to play his game to 100%, get all the stuff, enter tournaments and just overall enjoy his game from a casual to a competitive level.

I can't see the latter crowd demanding Bandana Dee over Geno but the first group I do so I am kind of curious where he is trying to hit when it comes to 'popular picks'

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, here's an interesting thing to ponder, at what point can Geno(Or any character from SNES) be called a retro character?

Dan

Smash Lord
You know, here's an interesting thing to ponder, at what point can Geno(Or any character from SNES) be called a retro character?
Geno is retro; N64 is retro: it's been 20+ years and both look very dated by today's standards. GameCube to me isn't quite retro yet.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Geno is retro; N64 is retro: it's been 20+ years and both look very dated by today's standards. GameCube to me isn't quite retro yet.
Yep, which is why I think Geno would kill two birds with one stone. A fan requested character that is also a retro rep.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Sakurai tends to get his 'popularity' choices from the Smash Community itself or just from a general audience. Like it is difficult for me to consider K.Rool or Geno to be heavily demanded by someone who likes Smash, probably plays it for a total of 30 minutes a month as he moves onto the newer games that come out 2 months later.

Or does Sakurai truly care for the Smash Communities' needs that give characters wants like K.Rool or Geno a much needed boost. Basically the crowd that is going to play his game to 100%, get all the stuff, enter tournaments and just overall enjoy his game from a casual to a competitive level.

I can't see the latter crowd demanding Bandana Dee over Geno but the first group I do so I am kind of curious where he is trying to hit when it comes to 'popular picks'
I kinda see what we currently got giving a good sign of where we are headed.
Ridley being the older long time request for the older fans. Inkling being from something fresh for younger fans while still being highly requested. and Daisy being a echo pick of a loved character that would be easy to implement as an Echo.

So maybe 2 more long time requests like Geno, K. Rool, or Isaac.
2 newer characters like Elma or Decidueye.
and some echo fighters like Dark samus, Shadow, etc

and then like some big name third party/major surprise character.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
As cool as Simon Belmont is, I think he can wait. Isabelle will continue to be featured in her own series and spin offs from Mario. She can wait too. I hope it is Geno to throw all the leakers off!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As cool as Simon Belmont is, I think he can wait. Isabelle will continue to be featured in her own series and spin offs from Mario. She can wait too. I hope it is Geno to throw all the leakers off!
Simon Belmont would make perfect sense for an October reveal if he’s actually in. I’d honestly be disappointed with his reveal here just for the timing aspect (and to be clear he’s my most wanted third party after Geno and Banjo, which have rather special situations).

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet
isabelle isnt a mario character

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I just realized I wasn't in the supporters list, but want to be. Also I'm currently in Nimbus land so I'm gonna have to beat Mario RPG quick lol

link2702

Smash Champion
I have to wonder if they do add geno(plz plz plz) what is his voice going to sound like(if he even gets one)? I constantly in my head try to imagine what he might sound like, and it all ends up settling on something that sounds like it’s from some reverb/echo filter or something, since him being a star spirit possessing a doll, i feel like it would be something sounding like an echo out of a hollow tree.

Of course then there’s the actual tone itself, is it gonna sound young and annoying (something like rikki or tora from the xenoblade series, even if it’s spoken in proper English, just imagine their tone) or old and sage like (not sure I’d like this cuz plenty of times he’s broken his sage troupe in smrpg, such as his shocked dialogue against bowyer yelling “chill out man” , definitely not something you’d normally hear from an old wise sage character) or something more neutral but carefree/relaxed(can’t think of anything atm to compare)... or would they just go full robotic with his voice...

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Bruh, Isabelle is way more popular than Geno these days.
In terms of gaming as a whole, yes, but in the Smash community, not a chance. The inclusion of Geno would (in my opinion) create way more buzz than the inclusion of Isabelle. That's not taking anything away from Isabelle, she'll likely get in. But her inclusion would be more along the lines of a Rosalina addition where it's a recently popular character that makes sense why she'd be included where Geno is a long requested character like Ridley.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IF this direct not only has a character, but more than one character ....Do you think they would individually get their own trailers or be in the same trailer?
Like K Rool shows up, then Geno pops up in the same trailer to help fight against him or something

Or a dedicated Geno trailer?

TBone06

Smash Ace
IF this direct not only has a character, but more than one character ....Do you think they would individually get their own trailers or be in the same trailer?
Like K Rool shows up, then Geno pops up in the same trailer to help fight against him or something

I think if there are multiple characters, they will get separate trailers. I see one reveal at the beginning, and one at the end. The caveats are if there are two characters from the same game (Dixie and K. Rool). Also I can see an Echo fighter being revealed mid-presentation if there is one. But I think we’ll get separate trailers at the beginning and the end if we get two. Or at the end if we only get one.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

If the two newcomers shown are from the same series (k Rool and Dixie/Geno and Mallow) then I can see it happening. If we do get two brand new newcomers though, I'd expect one to be revealed at the beginning of the direct and one at the end.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would love a trailer with Geno and Mallow both showing up and one with K Rool and Dixie showing up

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I have to wonder if they do add geno(plz plz plz) what is his voice going to sound like(if he even gets one)? I constantly in my head try to imagine what he might sound like, and it all ends up settling on something that sounds like it’s from some reverb/echo filter or something, since him being a star spirit possessing a doll, i feel like it would be something sounding like an echo out of a hollow tree.

Of course then there’s the actual tone itself, is it gonna sound young and annoying (something like rikki or tora from the xenoblade series, even if it’s spoken in proper English, just imagine their tone) or old and sage like (not sure I’d like this cuz plenty of times he’s broken his sage troupe in smrpg, such as his shocked dialogue against bowyer yelling “chill out man” , definitely not something you’d normally hear from an old wise sage character) or something more neutral but carefree/relaxed(can’t think of anything atm to compare)... or would they just go full robotic with his voice...
we've talked about his voice before, I think the general consensus was something like either a non-british Dunban or the english dub adult gohan. something that has wisdom to it but is young and laid back enough to have a bit of humor. If he does have a proper voice, all i hope for is that he uses his, "I come from... a higher authority" line either as a taunt or victory statement.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Geno is revealed tomorrow morning, the word ecstatic would not be sufficient to describe the amount of joy I would feel from it.

TBone06

Smash Ace
If Geno is revealed tomorrow morning, the word ecstatic would not be sufficient to describe the amount of joy I would feel from it.
If Geno is announced tomorrow, I fully expect to cry. I'm a grown man, and I feel like that's a given. Honestly I might come close to it too if K. Rool is announced too. But Geno for sure. I'd be unbelievably excited and have a sense of relief and accomplishment. Here's rooting for it!

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
we've talked about his voice before, I think the general consensus was something like either a non-british Dunban or the english dub adult gohan. something that has wisdom to it but is young and laid back enough to have a bit of humor. If he does have a proper voice, all i hope for is that he uses his, "I come from... a higher authority" line either as a taunt or victory statement.
And then to throw us for a loop he just soley makes Luma sound effects because secretly he was a Luma all along and Rosalina is his "Higher Authority" :p

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
If Geno is announced tomorrow, I fully expect to cry. I'm a grown man, and I feel like that's a given. Honestly I might come close to it too if K. Rool is announced too. But Geno for sure. I'd be unbelievably excited and have a sense of relief and accomplishment. Here's rooting for it!
I cried at "Everyone is Here" I fully expect Geno's reveal would make me Super Smash Bros. Bawl.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I doubt we'll get a Geno reveal tomorrow, but I won't lie. I'm hoping we will.

More likely it will be either Simon Belmont or possibly K. Rool.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I cried at "Everyone is Here" I fully expect Geno's reveal would make me Super Smash Bros. Bawl.
did you just-

i love you

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to when Geno is genuinely the only character I want to see. I'll probably get excited either way, but if he does show up my body will most definitely be Reggie.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
To be fair, that roster video was designed to make Smash fans cry. The pacing, the music...all of it. Sakurai knew he could only do "everyone is here!" One time in the history of Smash, and he made it count.

I still cry. It's especially bad if I watch it with reactions. I regularly watch that one video of the Direct being shown in the Nintendo store, whenever I need a dose of happiness. There are dudes hugging each other over the reveals in that one. It touches my geeky heart, lol.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
My heart is excited for the possibility of Geno tomorrow, but my mind is preparing for Geno as an Assist Trophy / nonexistent (for now).

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Is there any truth that to the rumor Geno was the Random square in Brawl? Was the orchestral Forest Maze really found in the game's data, and rights issues kept it all from happening?

If he's revealed tomorrow I'll obviously be really happy, but like Ridley, I fear there's going to be a bit of salt ("10 years late" stuff), unless the mythology behind Brawl was actually true: Ridley was a roller coaster ride for me in that he was my most wanted newcomer but I completely counted him out because of that Sakurai article where he essentially deconfirmed him for life; I was also starting to believe the "too big" thing, but then he was finally revealed and my reaction was equal parts bliss, salt and indifference: "Well, you're ten years late... what else have you got?"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, we finally got a Geno rip from SilvaGunner, and it is amazing. Not from SMRPG, but still a pretty M&L remix. Shame he was knocked out round one, but it seems like many in the comments agree with me on that, and i would not be surprised if he makes a return in a future tourney. Especially if he is in Ultimate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGD24_76bw

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we are going to turn this thread into uplifting and emotion playing posts, here is mine.

doll.JPG

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Yo, apparently a certain someone just got officially leaked.

Check this:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yo, apparently a certain someone just got officially leaked.

Check this:
But it's using the icon for series not represented in Smash

Edit: The title changed, not the song. I see what people were talking about

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Tomorrow is almost here! even if Geno doesn't get revealed don't lose hope guys! his reveal might happen later! I'm gonna avoid this thread till tomorrow just in case of last minute leaks ruining the suprise

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, at this point we can guess Simon Belmont is the one being revealed. Maybe WITH Isabelle as an echo in the same trailer.

But there is always the possibility Geno could be announced as well.

As long as Geno isn't deconfirmed somehow in the trailer, there is always the next direct

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Well, at this point we can guess Simon Belmont is the one being revealed. Maybe WITH Isabelle as an echo in the same trailer.

But there is always the possibility Geno could be announced as well.

As long as Geno isn't deconfirmed somehow in the trailer, there is always the next direct
Aw man.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, Geno lives to see another day. And with this direct over the top 2 threads have now been confirmed and deconfirmed, so there's a big change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom