• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I find it more funny that we managed to get Snake and Cloud in Smash before PlayStation All-Stars (Underrated if somewhat broken game). And might just end up with Crash as well before everything is said and done DLC wise if his huge resurgence in popularity impacts anything:
I would have totally played that game if Crash was in it. but for whatever reason it was missing most of the big play station names I loved. Crash, Spyro. well at least they had spike.

in retrospect yeah Cloud had to come first for square. and Sakurai made the right choice. even if I would have prefered Geno. but now Cloud has cleared the path for Geno's glorious revival!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do have to say one thing about Cloud though, and it is something I find humerus. At the end of the day, Cloud is meant to represent all of FF, I am pretty sure Sakurai has confirmed that, and he fits that pretty well being so iconic and all. But at the end of the day, Cloud's history with Nintendo will forever be Square way of flipping the bird at Nintendo, with the move to Playstation and the disk format. I find that kinda funny.
He's not really meant to represent all of FF. He's just the most popular option of it. It's never been implied he's FF as a whole to begin with. Even one of his latest symbols is FFVII specifically. Besides that, his entire characterization and moveset is FFVII only.

When Sakurai was looking for characters with gaming history, he feels a character from the FF series was a good idea. He went for Cloud because he's the most popular. He also designed Cloud after his own game and spin-offs specifically related to the game. We don't really have much generic FF representation at this point, though the closest thing is the Chocobo Hat, and only kind of, as it didn't even come from a regular FF game, but a spin-off that is a Chocobo-specific game. It's why it's easy to expect only FFVII content for AT's/music at this point, because we don't really have anything to suggest Sakurai is trying to represent FF as a whole. The whole "Nintendo history" thing isn't even relevant anyway. FF has a huge gaming history, and FFVII influenced many rpg's as is. Both are important, and it's just a coincidence FF started with Nintendo. If it didn't start with Nintendo, nothing would change overall if that was seriously the only difference. Cloud and FF would still be chosen for how important it is to the history of gaming as a whole. The only thing that could slightly change is Cloud not being chosen if he had no Nintendo appearances, but that's only a maybe, too. Cloud's extreme importance and recognizability was a huge reason he was chosen and easily got in. No other FF character had that going for them. So he was likely regardless of whether Cloud had a few Nintendo cameos or not.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The biggest reason why Cloud got in was that he was by far the most highly requested Final Fantasy character which was something we know Sakurai confirmed.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
oh as a heads up for people EVO is this week. smash 4 finals are at 8 PM saturday and melee has the arena stage sunday 10:30 am.
while it's likely they won't use it for any announcements. might wanna watch just in case. or you know because you wanna watch some good matchs ;)

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
oh as a heads up for people EVO is this week. smash 4 finals are at 8 PM saturday and melee has the arena stage sunday 10:30 am.
while it's likely they won't use it for any announcements. might wanna watch just in case. or you know because you wanna watch some good matchs ;)
on top of this, there's also some Smash Ultimate Exhibitions scheduled today at 6pm PDT, no confirmation for any sort of announcement or anything, but just another possibility for one.

also, hi! I'd really like to see Geno in ultimate. and his history in regards to smash is really interesting. put me down as a supporter!

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Definitively don't go expecting anything from EVO guys. Especially not Geno. :V

But more Ultimate is never a bad thing.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Definitively don't go expecting anything from EVO guys. Especially not Geno. :V

But more Ultimate is never a bad thing.
honestly I'm mainly using the idea of a smash reveal during EVO to push more people to watch it ;)

well that and I want it to happen not just so we can see something new, but also because it would be an awesome way to support the scene and get more people interested in watching.

Yo we got TastySteve on commentary for the Smash Ultimate's expedition! never expected it. but hey this game is the ultimate crossover ;)

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Even though Isaac is my most wanted character, Geno is up there on my most wanted list.

Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite childhood games and he represents it perfectly. To have him, along with a SMRPG stage and music would be amazing.

If it's still a thing, can I be added to the supporters list? :)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
My delusion is kicking in. Today is Sakurai's birthday. What a fitting way for the Evo stream to end with a Geno reveal trailer.

I know I set myself up for disappointment with these kind of things but I think it would be fitting.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
My delusion is kicking in. Today is Sakurai's birthday. What a fitting way for the Evo stream to end with a Geno reveal trailer.

I know I set myself up for disappointment with these kind of things but I think it would be fitting.
"It's my birthday present to ME! I'm so happy....."

jokes aside that would be kind of silly for it to happen for that reason. and already it's been well documented that smash reveals don't tie to events. BUT IF IT DID happen I'd be okay with it. Sakurai has done so much for us fans he has every right to indulge himself. if Geno or anyone else who is Sakurai's most wanted character was put in just because he wished it. I'd say he has earned it and could do whatever he wants.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I was thinking about something last night, and the more I thought about it, the more it came to me: I don't think Geno becoming an Assist Trophy would make sense. A lot of people say "Geno will probably be an Assist Trophy if anything", and after Bomberman was shown as an Assist Trophy a lot more people backed to that statement. But the quotes we use to help Geno's case as a fighter also hurt the outcome that he would become an Assist Trophy.

Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.

Sakurai specifically mentions Geno as a fighter. I'd believe he would still carry this mindset with him into Ultimate, and either go all or nothing for Geno.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Geno is Sakurai's favorite character or anything, lol. If a character comes up on Smash Bros.com it might just be King Dedede or something

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Maybe we'll get a new character after they spotlight all of the fighters from E3. How many more do we have?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, besides Geno, who do you want to see in Smash Ultimate? For me, I am rooting for Ashley, K.Rool, Travis Touchdown, Adeleine, and Shantae. Some of these I don't think are that likely, but you don't choose who you want based on likelihood.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I guess I'm special in that the only character I really care about getting in is Geno, although I do have a few others in the "yeah, it'd be cool" level of interest, such as Bandanna Dee, K. Rool, and Decidueye. Zeke from Xenoblade 2 is a pipe dream of mine as well, but I'm not exactly holding my breath on that one...

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Out of curiosity, besides Geno, who do you want to see in Smash Ultimate? For me, I am rooting for Ashley, K.Rool, Travis Touchdown, Adeleine, and Shantae. Some of these I don't think are that likely, but you don't choose who you want based on likelihood.
You're a man of great class, my friend.~

Shantae is my secret most wanted but she's a virtual no chance, however Geno is a very close second. After that, I would drop a notch down and say Ashley is my third most wanted. After that, I could care less. However, like Ze Diglett, there are characters that I would think would be really neat namely Simon Belmont (if he looks like his original artwork that would be bada**), KOS-MOS and Elma.

Other characters I think deserve to be in the game would be like K. Rool, Dixie, Rex/Pyra (as DLC; I think they could be interesting and Xenoblade could use the promotion) and eh... I guess Bandana Dee and Isabelle. K. Rool and Dixie are overdue, though. (And Geno...)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno, K Rool, Dixie, Dillon, ...the absurd choice of Blastoise

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think everyone has those characters that they think are cool, but are more passive on wanting them in. For my choice, I don't think I need to explain why people would want K.Rool or Ashley, Travis I feel is a possibility that many people are sleeping on(I do think he is more likly to be DLC though), Adeleine is more so due to me just finding the character very neat and we have not really had a character that focused heavily on summoning, and Shantae is just a very likable and hype indie rep with a lot of Nintendo history.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Rayman would seems to gel in perfectly with Smash Bros and would be a really fun to have a disjointed Brawler. (I imagine a Fox/Mario like character with Marth range on everything)

Wonder Red was always my third choice but he is a little more distant from the other two.

But at this point, I'm really just focusing on Geno. I will get to Rayman support as soon as Geno is in. (Like I did with passing down from Mega Man)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Everybody in my signature, but my top 5 are King K Rool, Geno, Isaac, Ashley, and Chibi Robo. With Dixie Kong and Simon Belmont right up next (along with Banjo and Kazooie since yeah).

Primarily characters that seem forgotten unfortunately, cause Nintendo has some great choices they are still sleeping on. I wouldn’t mind most newcomers to be honest, as Ridley was previous number 1 anyway, but I need a couple more to accept this Smash as Ultimate. Which will hopefully happen

TBone06

Smash Ace
While Geno is a fat number one in terms of most wanted, K. Rool is in a class of his own at number two. I think he should be in the game already. I loved the DKC franchise growing up and I think his boss battles were always fun and entertaining. Issac would definitely be number three. I only briefly played Golden Sun, but I think he’s a very interesting character. Those are the only three I’m really rooting for. Ashley, Isabelle and Bandana Dee are others I’m rooting for, but for the fans. I also want to see Rex and Pyra as DLC. I could live without a new Pokémon rep or a new Fire Emblem rep. Lastly Banjo Kazooie is always going to be a character I root for, but don’t think they have a great chance

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
While Geno is a fat number one in terms of most wanted, K. Rool is in a class of his own at number two. I think he should be in the game already. I loved the DKC franchise growing up and I think his boss battles were always fun and entertaining. Issac would definitely be number three. I only briefly played Golden Sun, but I think he’s a very interesting character. Those are the only three I’m really rooting for. Ashley, Isabelle and Bandana Dee are others I’m rooting for, but for the fans. I also want to see Rex and Pyra as DLC. I could live without a new Pokémon rep or a new Fire Emblem rep. Lastly Banjo Kazooie is always going to be a character I root for, but don’t think they have a great chance
I share these sentiments as well. Geno is my number one. We don't get anymore newcomers after that it won't bother me.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
For me one of the most important thing for new characters is for them to have an interesting moveset that brings something new to the game and captures the heart of the character and their games. basically Mega Man is now my gold standard for character design in smash.

So while I want Geno because he's a real cool character from my childhood, and I want the Mario RPG series to be represented with a character in smash. I also want him because I think he has what it takes to have a fun and unique moveset and perfectly represent all mario RPG games.

as for other characters. King K. rool has many iterations that give him a lot of potential for a fun and original moveset.
Banjo & Kazooie have lots of moves from their 2 classic games that they can pull from.
Simon Belmont if a perfect pick, period.
Custom Robo, won't really happen, we don't even have our assist trophy anymore. but the mix of guns, bombs, and pods for controlling space, on top of an air dash, something not seen in smash, would make for something really cool and unique.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Geno isn't in my top 5 most wanted characters, but I wouldn't mind seeing him.

I would like to chime in and say that I think his odds are better than ever right now. Smash Ultimate definitely feels like a "grand finale" of sorts for Sakurai's Smash games. I think this is meant to be a sort of gigantic celebration before Smash 6 sort of reboots the series and starts from scratch.
Geno has sorta been lurking in the shadows forever now. Sakurai knows how much people have wanted this character for years, and has even said he'd want to see Geno in Smash too.

With Square already working with Nintendo to bring Cloud to the game, and with Ridley finally getting in, I think now is definitely the time for Geno. I think he's pretty damn likely.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Now gotta hold my hype for now. and watch this hype Leffen, Armada grand finals. We gonna see the 3VO? or is the God Slayer gonna steal it?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here's my ACTUAL guesses

1) Isabelle
2) Simon Belmont
3) Gen 7 Pokemon

4) Geno

MattX20

Smash Hero
Please let it be Decidueye or Geno, the former to put an end to the idiocy of people saying Vergeben's word is gospel.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Also sounds like it's straight a smash ultimate direct! so we're probably gonna get a ton of info! possibly even 2 characters?!

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Imagine Sakurai revealing Geno as a birthday present to himself :yeahboi:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Holy crow I am so excited, guys!!

We're gonna see a newcomer. It might even be Geno. And even if it isn't, it will still be someone new. I am losing it!

deep breaths...hoo...

lol. We are so starved for info... Sakurai better watch his hands as he feeds us this news.:p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I love how we've all been yelling about being starved for info on this game, and it seems Sakurai is just like screw it, give em a Direct (The whole Don't Ever Ask Anything from Me Again Meme lives on). I really did not expect a Smash focused Direct though, it felt way too soon after E3 which focused so heavily on Smash Ultimate already and Nintendo hasn't really given much attention to several other games yet either... (This might even lean us in favor of just a regular Direct in September as well). They seem to be heavily leaning on Smash this year, which gives me some hope for just how much content this game might have.

I'm going as far as to say I think that it's possible we'll see two character reveals, one at the beginning, one at the end of the Direct due to the already limited time before the game releases. I'm not going to bank on it, but I think a lot of us are thinking that's a possibility. All I really care about is that whoever they announce is a big announcement for the community, and preferably someone more requested and irrelevant so I don't have to hear why character X shouldn't get in anymore.

Geno would be a great pick, and I could see him being revealed at any point anyway, so why not him!!! But really, I do expect more like Ashley or Isabelle this direct, and will pleasantly surprised with different choices if they show up.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I love how we've all been yelling about being starved for info on this game, and it seems Sakurai is just like screw it, give em a Direct (The whole Don't Ever Ask Anything from Me Again Meme lives on). I really did not expect a Smash focused Direct though, it felt way too soon after E3 which focused so heavily on Smash Ultimate already and Nintendo hasn't really given much attention to several other games yet either... (This might even lean us in favor of just a regular Direct in September as well). They seem to be heavily leaning on Smash this year, which gives me some hope for just how much content this game might have.

I'm going as far as to say I think that it's possible we'll see two character reveals, one at the beginning, one at the end of the Direct due to the already limited time before the game releases. I'm not going to bank on it, but I think a lot of us are thinking that's a possibility. All I really care about is that whoever they announce is a big announcement for the community, and preferably someone more requested and irrelevant so I don't have to hear why character X shouldn't get in anymore.

Geno would be a great pick, and I could see him being revealed at any point anyway, so why not him!!! But really, I do expect more like Ashley or Isabelle this direct, and will pleasantly surprised with different choices if they show up.
I second this. I can see the first character being announced a lesser popular character such as Isabelle or an Echo fighter, and the last reveal being a Geno or K. Rool. I think with timing, two characters is plausible. I’m proceeding with caution, but I hope the time is coming. Happy I’m on vacay this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom