• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
No, they wouldn't reveal Heihachi. He wasn't a character most fans wanted like K. Rool or Bandana Dee or even Geno. Plus, a lot of evidence would point towards Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia or KOS-MOS being a more likely pick for a second Bandai Namco rep.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, they wouldn't reveal Heihachi. He wasn't a character most fans wanted like K. Rool or Bandana Dee or even Geno. Plus, a lot of evidence would point towards Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia or KOS-MOS being a more likely pick for a second Bandai Namco rep.
People aren't saying Heihachi because he's the most popular, just the most relevant to EVO

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Heihachi was considered for Smash 4, whereas we don't have that kind of information for Lloyd or KOS-MOS. They found it difficult to implement his moveset (and let's be honest - if a Namco character was getting in, it was going to be Pac-Man), but that sort of thing has changed a lot throughout Smash's history.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
My point being is that Heihachi would be redundant given that Ryu is in the game now, and given how difficult it was just to make sure all of the 3rd Party characters including Snake to come back, he would rather focus on more characters that have relevance to Nintendo consoles. Heihachi's history is more heavily associated with Playstation and Sony.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My point being is that Heihachi would be redundant given that Ryu is in the game now, and given how difficult it was just to make sure all of the 3rd Party characters including Snake to come back, he would rather focus on more characters that have relevance to Nintendo consoles. Heihachi's history is more heavily associated with Playstation and Sony.
He wouldn't be redundant. Ryu's mechanic isn't "being a fighting game character". It's specific his traditional controls.

Like, I'm not even really interested in Heihachi myself but this argument doesn't make any sense. Heihachi is a martial artist. Unless he's a clone, being redundant isn't really on the table. He also wouldn't be copying Ryu's actual mechanic(which is traditional fighting game controls), but be given something else that fits who he is. If he plays as a normal Smash character, that is, without necessarily a mechanic, he'd be less interesting, but can't be redundant since it's not a repeat of the mechanic.

MattX20

Smash Hero
He wouldn't be redundant. Ryu's mechanic isn't "being a fighting game character". It's specific his traditional controls.

Like, I'm not even really interested in Heihachi myself but this argument doesn't make any sense. Heihachi is a martial artist. Unless he's a clone, being redundant isn't really on the table. He also wouldn't be copying Ryu's actual mechanic(which is traditional fighting game controls), but be given something else that fits who he is. If he plays as a normal Smash character, that is, without necessarily a mechanic, he'd be less interesting, but can't be redundant since it's not a repeat of the mechanic.
You forget one major problem. Tekken is well known for being a game series heavily reliant on complex control schemes and button combinations. Smash Bros is about simplistic movesets that don't require you to be a fighting game expert to pick up and play. Heihachi's game play style wouldn't work because he would require the more complex controls which is not what Smash Bros is about.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You forget one major problem. Tekken is well known for being a game series heavily reliant on complex control schemes and button combinations. Smash Bros is about simplistic movesets that don't require you to be a fighting game expert to pick up and play. Heihachi's game play style wouldn't work because he would require the more complex controls which is not what Smash Bros is about.
That doesn't matter. He wouldn't be redundant because Sakurai isn't going to give him the same mechanic as is to make him work. And movesets aren't meant to always reflect how you control the character so much as what they can do or what can be done in the game.

This does little to really hurt Heihachi's chances. Him having a proper moveset that shows off his abilities can be done without complex controls. It doesn't mean it will, but it doesn't mean it won't. You're putting too much stock on purely the controls of the home game without looking into how Heihachi can directly play or what he can directly bring. And it doesn't need to be the same mechanic at all. There can be differences. I do agree he might be hard to make interesting, but redundant isn't really accurate and too simplistic to identify the issue with the character.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually with Matt on this. I don't think Heihachi is as likely as people think he is. like sure Sakurai said he considered him. but felt more like the excite bike line of consideration where he eventually decided it wasn't interesting or wouldn't work well.

And if we were to have both Ryu and Heihachi in the game we would need something about his moveset that makes him distinct from Ryu.
but the biggest thing that makes Tekken different from Street Fighter is that it is a 3D fighter. and smash plays on a 2D axis. I don't think transfering the 3D fighter of Heihachi to a 2D fighter works very well. just look at Street Fighter X Tekken.
Heihachi wouldn't really play true to form in 2D. he wasn't designed for it.

and if Sakurai is wanting to make everyone happy I don't think he is the pick. he doesn't have very much support compared to other characters.

thing is I really am not sure who they would reveal at EVO. since the only obvious choices are Heihachi and Spring man. but I don't think either of them are actually getting in.

So I think it would have to do with how they want to play their cards right now. they might save one of the next major names for the next direct. and show someone more niche or from a newer game at EVO.

and I could see an EVO reveal happening. at the invitational they made a big point of caring about the competitive scene with that Smash Family video. and if there was gonna be any tournament that they would show a character at. it would be EVO. smash 4 was even on live TV last year and it does bring in viewership so it could be a really hype place to show it. also would just be a great way to support the scene.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm actually with Matt on this. I don't think Heihachi is as likely as people think he is. like sure Sakurai said he considered him. but felt more like the excite bike line of consideration where he eventually decided it wasn't interesting or wouldn't work well.

And if we were to have both Ryu and Heihachi in the game we would need something about his moveset that makes him distinct from Ryu.
but the biggest thing that makes Tekken different from Street Fighter is that it is a 3D fighter. and smash plays on a 2D axis. I don't think transfering the 3D fighter of Heihachi to a 2D fighter works very well. just look at Street Fighter X Tekken.
Heihachi wouldn't really play true to form in 2D. he wasn't designed for it.

and if Sakurai is wanting to make everyone happy I don't think he is the pick. he doesn't have very much support compared to other characters.

thing is I really am not sure who they would reveal at EVO. since the only obvious choices are Heihachi and Spring man. but I don't think either of them are actually getting in.

So I think it would have to do with how they want to play their cards right now. they might save one of the next major names for the next direct. and show someone more niche or from a newer game at EVO.

and I could see an EVO reveal happening. at the invitational they made a big point of caring about the competitive scene with that Smash Family video. and if there was gonna be any tournament that they would show a character at. it would be EVO. smash 4 was even on live TV last year and it does bring in viewership so it could be a really hype place to show it. also would just be a great way to support the scene.
Most characters added to smash weren't designed in the original games to be 2D fighters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Heihachi's likeliness isn't really being argued all that much. He really isn't all that likely.

It's just the idea of him being redundant that's not really a good point. But it's mostly a poor word to use, since redundant implies they're already in the game and adds nothing.

I do agree it can be hard to find a way to give him a unique mechanic, which is why he seems unlikely.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno. Technically any character revealed could be relevant to EVO since it'd be a Smash Bros character.

People keep saying it'd HAVE to be related to the event. But, do we have a precedent for that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno. Technically any character revealed could be relevant to EVO since it'd be a Smash Bros character.

People keep saying it'd HAVE to be related to the event. But, do we have a precedent for that?
No, no we do not.

I think the idea is that since EVO is a fighting game event, the character being revealed should originate from a fighting game.

I'm not putting stock into the idea, but the thought is logical.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

Yeah it doesn't really need to be anyone strictly fighting game related.
the angle I'm thinking more is how big they want to go. EVO is big, but a lot of casual fans of smash probably won't be watching it. so I don't see something like K. Rool being showed there. while maybe something like the new pokemon rep or Elma would still be hype, but not as much as some of the bigger fan requests or a third party.

Geno I feel could go either way really. feel like he is in the middle of Mega Hype pick, and not as hype but still good pick. since he's not as well known by the younger audience.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
^ People would be hyped for Geno the second they see him shooting beams out of his hand.

I'm not worried about Geno's ability to sell himself to a new crowd. >_>

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
SiIvaGunner is having something called the King for a Day Tournament, where the winner will have only rips of their game(s) uploaded for an entire day. Geno is surprisingly one of the contenders, and his voting starts today!

If you want to vote, check in on their channel today.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
^ People would be hyped for Geno the second they see him shooting beams out of his hand.

I feel even the haters will come around once they see his moveset

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Hey today is my birthday woo
And what I have done today is releasing my world public that has a lot of SMRPG stuff in VRChat it's called Axem world so try to look that up if you are interested

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Super Mario RPG was a huge part of my childhood, so seeing Geno finally show up in Smash would make this fan happy.

As far as EVO is concerned, if there is a character reveal, why does it have to be a fighting game character? Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal a fan favorite like K Rool or Geno and have them be playable at the event?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Super Mario RPG was a huge part of my childhood, so seeing Geno finally show up in Smash would make this fan happy.

As far as EVO is concerned, if there is a character reveal, why does it have to be a fighting game character? Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal a fan favorite like K Rool or Geno and have them be playable at the event?
It's an event about fighting games, and the people present would uniformly be fans of fighting games. If a new character was revealed there (doesn't seem likely, but it would be great if it happened), it seems like a fighting game character would get the biggest reaction out of that crowd by far.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

Well you know for a long time now we have tried to predict character reveals happening related to dates and events. so maybe we're just repeating our mistakes by thinking it would be a fightering game character, or even for expecting anything at EVO xD

Most characters added to smash weren't designed in the original games to be 2D fighters.
Well the point I was making was 3D fighters are more heavily designed around using the 3D space in combat. with things like side steps (not like smash spot dodges but literal moving to the right or left of your opponent) and having to keep in mind moves tracking ability or if they have a wider swing that can punish a side step.
It's those mechanic's that make Tekken Distinct from Street Fighter and would be needed to be implemented to make Heihachi stand out in a more meaningful way from Ryu. which I don't see being possible in smash

Yes they are different characters with different moves. but to the casual observer they are both just martial arts dudes that punch and kick. one of them is just old and doesn't shoot fireballs.

oh yeah Geno definitely has the cool factor to win people over. I'm just thinking about how Nintendo see's his reception going.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Very interesting Heihachi discussion going on here. I am on the side that believes Sakurai will not be able to make Heihachi work in Smash gameplay. I think he would be more willing to make it work if the high demand for Heihachi was present like with Ridley to make him work, but fan support for him was minimal during the ballot period. Of course, maybe if Sakurai also has a goal of bringing every big Japanese video game icon in Ultimate, he might be able to accomplish it, but I doubt the possibility a bit.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Wait I just realized something. It's August! The Riddle leak is now officially dead! granted hearing a bunch more garbage leaks are popping up. at this point I'm just saying lets just ignore all of them and wait to be suprised. Sakurai's reveals are way more hype then any leak anyway.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm calling Heihachi for AT rn.

That way, if he is one, I'm right (ha ha ha) and if he's playable, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I have a lot of doubt he wont be represented in some way more than a mii costume.

I'm not expecting much out of EVO but that also kinda follows the "if something happens great, if not then I was right" thing.

Basically don't expect anything and you'll always be happy.

If they do reveal someone, I feel it's a high chance for it to be some fighting game character. Heihachi is an obvious answer for popularity's sake but what about Akira or Jacky or something being possible for the sake of everyone's retroboner

Also, it's not exactly guaranteed to be a fighting game character, anyway.

So there's a lot of "maybe not"

Personally, I'm thinking it'll be some 3rd party character. I know some people think EVO isn't the place to reveal that, but I kinda feel the opposite.

/musings

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
An Evo character reveal is not happening. We do this **** for almost every video game event and Nintendo continues to not show anything new.

The only event where a trailer could have been shown was after the Invitational at E3 since it was a Nintendo controlled event. This isn’t my opinion so much as looking at history.

It’s not impossible, but the chances are microscopically small.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
The voting for the King for a Day tournament by SiIvaGunner has begun for Geno! He is going up against the Wario Bros. We may be able to pull through with your help!

Vote here! Time is up 24 hours from the video's upload.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing to always remember; we can't really say if an Evo character reveal happens or not. Past experience implies it's unlikely. But we don't know what Sakurai is actually thinking, nor NIntendo, so it's always pointless to say "this will not happen". It makes it sound like you have insider material when you obviously don't. It comes off poorly.

Of course, it makes sense to believe it won't happen.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The voting for the King for a Day tournament by SiIvaGunner has begun for Geno! He is going up against the Wario Bros. We may be able to pull through with your help!

Sadly, I do not see him winning. Specifically due to the memeing power of the Wario bros(Specifically Waluigi), as well as the fact that Warioware Gold just came out.

Edit: But I do think it is possible if we play our cards right. Go beyond Smash boards, voice our support on other forms of media, that sort of thing. Perhaps we can surpass the meme.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
One thing to always remember; we can't really say if an Evo character reveal happens or not. Past experience implies it's unlikely. But we don't know what Sakurai is actually thinking, nor NIntendo, so it's always pointless to say "this will not happen". It makes it sound like you have insider material when you obviously don't. It comes off poorly.

Of course, it makes sense to believe it won't happen.
How does me pointing out that Nintendo almost never does character reveals at these types of events come off as me claiming I have insider information? Are you kidding me?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How does me pointing out that Nintendo almost never does character reveals at these types of events come off as me claiming I have insider information? Are you kidding me?
"An Evo character reveal is not happening." Exactly what else do you expect for a response? People will think you know what's going to happen.

If you don't want people to think that, don't post declarative statements. Besides that, your first point is contradicted by the rest of your post. You either think it's unlikely or you know for sure it can't happen. Obviously your intention was "it's unlikely". But it was more of a general statement to not make it sound like you know something when you really don't. It wasn't entirely at you, so much at people who do this kind of thing overall. I would've directly replied to you if I was specifically talking to you.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'm not familiar with Heihachi but after reading the posts, I have some understanding why he was not included.

Anyhow, I've been browsing the Geno thread for quite some time. To support or not support. I wasn't sure. I've played some of Mario RPG and it's been years since. I looked at videos of Geno in action and have reached a decision. Add me as a Geno supporter.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sadly, I do not see him winning. Specifically due to the memeing power of the Wario bros(Specifically Waluigi), as well as the fact that Warioware Gold just came out.

Edit: But I do think it is possible if we play our cards right. Go beyond Smash boards, voice our support on other forms of media, that sort of thing. Perhaps we can surpass the meme.
Yeah, everyone in the comments of that video is saying Geno's gonna get destroyed, and as much as I'm rooting for Geno, I can't help but feel that way as well, if the SiIvaGunner fanbase's undying love for unfunny memes is any indication. If he does beat them, though, I'll be pleasantly surprised, and if he doesn't, well, I'll probably just turn to the dark side and root for Unregistered Hypercam 2 instead. That, or I'll go true chaotic evil and root for Thanos so everyone has to put up with a full day of this.
...I just realized how weird this tournament is.
On that note, it's interesting to meet people who are still following SiIvaGunner on this forum. I was under the impression that everyone jumped ship on that meme cruise when he "died" back in 2016, understandably so.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a theory. Given how pretty much every character owned by a third party company was revealed via Nintendo Directs or main website updates, I think Geno will be a newcomer reveal for the likely only general direct in September prior to the game's release on December 7th.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, everyone in the comments of that video is saying Geno's gonna get destroyed, and as much as I'm rooting for Geno, I can't help but feel that way as well, if the SiIvaGunner fanbase's undying love for unfunny memes is any indication. If he does beat them, though, I'll be pleasantly surprised, and if he doesn't, well, I'll probably just turn to the dark side and root for Unregistered Hypercam 2 instead. That, or I'll go true chaotic evil and root for Thanos so everyone has to put up with a full day of this.
...I just realized how weird this tournament is.
On that note, it's interesting to meet people who are still following SiIvaGunner on this forum. I was under the impression that everyone jumped ship on that meme cruise when he "died" back in 2016, understandably so.
The one way I can see Geno winning is if the whole thing get's shouted out by a Geno supporter with a lot of followers. This is not a battle we can win without some pushing.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up! I never played Mario RPG but I love Geno's backstory and design and he would fit so well in Smash!
I'm not familiar with Heihachi but after reading the posts, I have some understanding why he was not included.

Anyhow, I've been browsing the Geno thread for quite some time. To support or not support. I wasn't sure. I've played some of Mario RPG and it's been years since. I looked at videos of Geno in action and have reached a decision. Add me as a Geno supporter.
It's comments like these that make me think once Geno gets into smash lots of people are gonna fall in love with him even if they don't know him from his game of origin. he just has this pure cool factor going for him. and in a way that is unique and interesting!

It's okay Waluigi can have his meme tournament. Geno will be the real winner when he's announced as the character that got into smash ;)

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Can someone grab the stock icon in the poll? It looks so sick. I wasn't thinking when I was voting and would love the image. I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I voted for Geno regardless of his chances. Gotta show support to my most wanted character for Ultimate.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Can someone grab the stock icon in the poll? It looks so sick. I wasn't thinking when I was voting and would love the image. I can't seem to find it anywhere else.
I gotchu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom