• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Hey y’all. Was around during the smash 4 speculation and thought I’d pop in and say I’m still in support for Geno in smash.

I’m going back to lurking in the shadows now...

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
It's gotten a lil quiet in here with all of us bein in the dry on any new info, so I got a few questions for everybody. :bobomb:

What moveset would you like to see?
I know the common go-to for Geno's moveset is to have his Special Moves line up with his Specials (and why wouldn't they), but what would you want to see in his other moves? Grab, throws, smashes, tilts, aerials, jabs. Anything.

What alts/costumes would you want to see?
Obviously, they could go the easy but effective route and use Geno's multiple capes you can acquire throughout the game, but what more unique ideas do you guys have?

Hey y’all. Was around during the smash 4 speculation and thought I’d pop in and say I’m still in support for Geno in smash.

I’m going back to lurking in the shadows now...
Welcome back guy!

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Hey throw me down for one of the supporters of Geno if you please~
I've been a fan of the mario snes rpg for a long time and Geno was awesome in it! In all my playthroughs of the game my party was always Mario/Bowser/Geno :starman::starman::starman:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's gotten a lil quiet in here with all of us bein in the dry on any new info, so I got a few questions for everybody. :bobomb:

What moveset would you like to see?
I know the common go-to for Geno's moveset is to have his Special Moves line up with his Specials (and why wouldn't they), but what would you want to see in his other moves? Grab, throws, smashes, tilts, aerials, jabs. Anything.

What alts/costumes would you want to see?
Obviously, they could go the easy but effective route and use Geno's multiple capes you can acquire throughout the game, but what more unique ideas do you guys have?

Welcome back guy!
To answer both questions, Delzethin pretty much covered what I would've said, especially how his alternate colors are based on the Seven Stars themselves and Mallow.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I suck at movesets

I start doing it, then I get bored part way through and start writing "Another punch, but this time aiming a different direction, etc. etc."

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I suck at movesets

I start doing it, then I get bored part way through and start writing "Another punch, but this time aiming a different direction, etc. etc."
I'd draw out a moveset, but I feel like I'll do three moves and then forget about it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a really strange dream last night and a minor part of it was this place that was kind of stuck in the past and had a bunch of old poster and one looked like someone in a Geno costume. But it was actually someone in a mario costume that was painted to look like Geno.

The dream was weird overall. It had a lot of specific details that stood out but were not important

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Darn it the awesome Geno stamp I just started using which I found on this board has turned into a little x (AGAIN)
this keeps happening with all my support stamps... :c

What's up with smashboards and pics showing up properly in your signature lately??? :confused:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Darn it the awesome Geno stamp I just started using which I found on this board has turned into a little x (AGAIN)
this keeps happening with all my support stamps... :c

What's up with smashboards and pics showing up properly in your signature lately??? :confused:
Tell me about it! one of these things is not like the rest!
it's okay, it's size shows it's importance in comparison to others.

now anyway as for Geno's normals I was think the obvious choice is incorporating his various weapons. I wanna see some rocket punches, some elbow slugs? (what would you call the type of bullets that come from his elbow? they seem like quite sizable shells), some finger machine guns! I think him having some projectiles on normals would be good. kinda like mega man but not as much. I see Geno being sort of a mix between Mega man and Mario. having a lot of projectile options but also good up close combo game.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Tell me about it! one of these things is not like the rest!
it's okay, it's size shows it's importance in comparison to others.

now anyway as for Geno's normals I was think the obvious choice is incorporating his various weapons. I wanna see some rocket punches, some elbow slugs? (what would you call the type of bullets that come from his elbow? they seem like quite sizable shells), some finger machine guns! I think him having some projectiles on normals would be good. kinda like pack man but not as much. I see Geno being sort of a mix between Megaman and Mario. having a lot of projectile options but also good up close combo game.
EDIT: They are in fact large round projectiles. I don't think those are bullets; they look for the life of me like very small cannonballs.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
EDIT: They are in fact large round projectiles. I don't think those are bullets; they look for the life of me like very small cannonballs.

Canonballs came in a number of sizes depending on what canon was firing them and various purposes
From his elbow Geno fires Canonballs

From his fingers it's probably closer to musket balls. Which is essentially a canon

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Is there much consensus on if Geno will show up again if he gets into Smash at some point?

He’s not like King K Rool or Isaac in those regards where I see him getting enough fame and spotlight from it to show back up in a major role, especially given his rights issue.

He would be just the ultimate for the fans pick since almost nothing would come of it barring a SMRPG 2 right?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Is there much consensus on if Geno will show up again if he gets into Smash at some point?

He’s not like King K Rool or Isaac in those regards where I see him getting enough fame and spotlight from it to show back up in a major role, especially given his rights issue.

He would be just the ultimate for the fans pick since almost nothing would come of it barring a SMRPG 2 right?
It is hard to say really. sounds like a smash 6 far in the future would likely be the first to have a smaller cast. so he may base his picks off who are the classic fan favorites and who has interesting and unique movesets. third parties will depend on licensing changes and how Nintendo's relationships are with those companies are at the time. if square's new Switch dedicated department is still going strong by that time It's probably likely that Cloud and Geno could come back.

also I have a feeling when and if they do a smaller cast in a future game. we would get a more heavy focus on DLC. regularly adding new characters as time goes on. now if it will all be paid or free updates will be hard to say.

Canonballs came in a number of sizes depending on what canon was firing them and various purposes
From his elbow Geno fires Canonballs

From his fingers it's probably closer to musket balls. Which is essentially a canon
okay so rapid fire musket fingers and cannon elbows. that just makes Geno even more awesome in my eyes!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Years ago, around the Brawl speculation days there used to be rumblings from Square about an interest in an SMRPG 2. Being as I was a snot-nosed teenager back then, I'm not sure how legit my information was from that time period but I had read on a (fairly) reputable site that Square wanted to make a sequel and that they wanted to include more Final Fantasy elements to it.

I could try digging it back up but man is it old. There used to be a site, called Super Mario RPG Legacy (I believe?), and they were petitioning Nintendo to make either a remake or a sequel. And the site managed to get a few official statements from Nintendo, as I recall. I actually signed that petition back then.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It'd be pretty cool if they announced in a direct Super Mario RPG 2 after announcing Geno.

But that's a pipe dream

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah, after a quick google search I've discovered that SMRPG Legacy's site is dead and that its spin-off site (Donut Hills) is also dead.

I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for the old petition or the official statements from Nintendo and Square. Just as an aside, it was Square that showed the interest. Nintendo basically gave the typical "There are no plans at this time" answer whereas Square's reply was less formal and more intrigued. Bare in mind I'm working off of 12 year old recollection, though. (But hey, it left a serious impression on me for what it's worth.)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I'd like to see Smash expand upon the Geno lore. Meaning I'd to see him transform into a variety of things too shoot his beams beyond what he could do before. It wouldn't be the 1st time Smash has done this: things like Captain Falcon's FALCON Pwanch~!, Fox's shine/reflector, and Giga Bowser have all since become iconic things for these characters.
I'd like to see Smash make Geno grow! :)

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see Smash expand upon the Geno lore. Meaning I'd to see him transform into a variety of things too shoot his beams beyond what he could do before. It wouldn't be the 1st time Smash has done this: things like Captain Falcon's FALCON Pwanch~!, Fox's shine/reflector, and Giga Bowser have all since become iconic things for these characters.
I'd like to see Smash make Geno grow! :)
I think he has enough in his source material to make a full moveset. but it would be fun for them to get a little creative though.
and other transformations shouldn't really take away from who he is so long as they don't go overboard with it.

although I'm curious about how people would feel if they updated his look in any significant way?
like what if they gave him shorts or something so he's not a naked doll?

but in the end I feel that he should still try to be as true to form as the original as possible. if there ends up being other games and they decide to give him a more updated look that would be fine. but for his first real return he should like same as he has always been.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What Event Matches do you guys see Geno participating in?

Battle of the Stars would include Rosalina vs Geno.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What Event Matches do you guys see Geno participating in?

Battle of the Stars would include Rosalina vs Geno.
I'd love a Super Mario RPG reunion Event Match. Maybe you have to beat Mario, Peach, and Boswer. Or maybe it'l like you, Mario, and Peach versus a Giga Bowser variant (Though that model may not actually be in the game anymore). Just something that references those specific four being in the game.

I love the battle of the stars idea too.

And maybe even a Geno event match that involves you fighting all the characters referenced in SMRPG that are in Smash like Samus and Link?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do you reduce damage from hits in Mario RPG by pressing the B button?

If that's true I've been playing Mario RPG wrong all this time.

If that's true, I've been playing hard mode, never reducing damage from enemy attacks

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Do you reduce damage from hits in Mario RPG by pressing the B button?

If that's true I've been playing Mario RPG wrong all this time.

If that's true, I've been playing hard mode, never reducing damage from enemy attacks
Kind of wild that you actually didn’t know this existed

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kind of wild that you actually didn’t know this existed
It's not that I didn't know it existed, I was just pressing the wrong button. I kept pressing A thinking it was reducing damage from enemy attacks.

Kinda funny though, even without that I never found the game too difficult

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
B and A work the same?
Oh do they?

I was just watching Gaming Historians thing on the History of Mario RPG and when he said you press B as a timed hit to decrease damage I started questioning if I had been doing it right

---

OK, I just looked up guides on it, and you can press "A" for defending against attacks.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, you can use either. Honestly, I didn't know you could use the 'A' button until much later. I always assumed you had to hit 'B' to block since it was how you went into Defense Mode in the game.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Here in North Texas, we had Low Tier City 6 over the weekend. It was a blast and I really enjoyed playing Wii U and RoA.

I managed to also found a really great deal on a Super Famicon SMRPG game with Box/Manual. (These little Famicon/Super Famicon boxes are actually pretty cool)

This game is sitting among my collection of greatest games library that includes Brawl, F-Zero GX, The Orange Box (PC), my Pokemon HeartGold/Crystal and more.

Someday I may not be able to play video games like I do now so I want to make sure RPG was one of those titles I won't forget.

Attachments

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I wish if someone could just post a clear image of the official artwork of Culex from one of the Japanese SMRPG guide book I know it exsist but only one low quality image on the internet I want to see him so badly a clear picture of how he looks

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What do you guys think the chances of anything being showed off at EVO?
It's never happened before but I guess it's possible.

I don't think it'd be Geno though if a characters is

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
What do you guys think the chances of anything being showed off at EVO?
I'd give that a 35% chance. EVO is a bunch of fighting game super fans. Somehow I doubt that all the people involved could keep a lid on Smash news if they had it, NDAs or no.

Then again, they did make a point of mentioning that EVO is often used for world premieres. That's the only reason I give it the 35%.

I'm not sure Geno would be the one they'd show at such an event anyway, unfortunately. Still, unlikely or not, this event is one possible hint of Smash info, which we're all starved for right now. So I'm going to be thankful for that at least, lol.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I did hear that EVO is gonna have some Smash Ultimate exhibition matches.
https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/what...sh-bros-ultimate-will-be-playable-at-evo-2018

You're quite right! Nintendo is bringing the demo to EVO for players to enjoy.

That being said, I have no faith that there will be any smash news there. It doesn't seem the right place to do it for Nintendo. In my opinion, this is simply wide-spread advertising for them. Look at the numbers:

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/1020662865122897923

That's like... 12k players? Although I suppose there are probably lots of people playing more than 1 game, so the overall number is smaller... Even then, lots of people attend these events as guests or viewers. Plus there'll be media coverage in various forms. I wouldn't be surprised if this event was hitting 20k people over the course of the weekend, just at the venue. Probably way more if you include the people tuning in online. And considering that almost all of these people are gamers, they get to advertise directly and specifically to their own demographic.

idk how this relates to geno but yeah I don't think they're revealing him or anything else this weekend lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom