• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
so uh... on a different note, on the chance that Geno does get in, do we think he might have a stage? Or would he just more fit in the Mario universe at large? If so, what do you think would be the source material for that stage?
We'd definitely get a stage. Every third-party character has had a stage to tie with them as a fighter, and the only fighter we don't have a stage to tie to is R.O.B I believe. I'd make a safe bet that we'd see a SMRPG stage show up, either in the trailer for his reveal or only in-game. As for the stage itself, I'd love to see Forest Maze of course, but some other ones I'd like to see include Smithy's Factory, Bowser's Keep (specifically the chandelier battle), or Kero Sewers.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
This seems a bit condescending and elitist. I think it's disingenuous to say that the only detractors to Geno are young people that didn't experience the SNES era. Some people may just not see the appeal. You can't just assume that anyone that plays SMRPG will instantly love it and the only reason anyone wouldn't is because they're just too young to understand. You can't assume that they'll just suddenly love him now if he becomes playable, either. It's like you're grandfathers ranting about kids these days always glued to their screens and not appreciating the joy of.... fishing or something.

Edit: Also, why do you expect the "younger fans" to support and appreciate some character from 20 years ago if you don't bother to care about or even know about the characters they support?

Well I'm not thinking about age or whether or not they have even played Mario RPG. Smash has plenty of strange and obscure characters. and even though people may never play the game they originated from they may still end up loving the character just for who they are in smash. I mean there are tons of people who love captain falcon who have never played F - Zero (I mean how can you not love him? he is beautiful in so many ways)
and I think Geno has the personality and charm to win people over.

Of course not everyone will love him. but I'll be happy for whoever comes to appreciate him more because of smash. even if it's only a few.

so uh... on a different note, on the chance that Geno does get in, do we think he might have a stage? Or would he just more fit in the Mario universe at large? If so, what do you think would be the source material for that stage?
I think I'd like atop Bowser's Castle with Exor in it. granted this also comes from the bias of wanting to finally get a bowser's Castle stage xD
I mean after all this time and so many mario stages how have we still never gotten a bowser's castle stage?!

but besides that it's a pretty iconic image of the game. (okay yeah most of my reasoning is just that one Bias xD )

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'm thinking he would likely get a stage, simply because he would sort of represent the entirety of SMRPG, rather than just be a Mario character. I mean, if they're going through the trouble to get approval to use him, why not other Mario RPG elements?

As for source material, I posted an idea for an Exor stage a while back--I'd say that, if only because they would only need the permission to use Exor himself. The rest of the stage would just be Bowser's Keep, which Nintendo already owns. Plus, it perfectly represents the fusion of the Mario and Square RPG styles.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Has anyone seen this bit about Geno's RTC video by Source Gaming?

PushDustin clarified with this tweet:

While it's not huge news, it still is in Geno's favor.

DO THE RIGHT THING, PAPA SAKURAI

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I think Star Hill would make for an amazing stage. Something about it has always stood out in Super Mario RPG whether it be the drastically different look of it or it's beautiful theme.
While the forest maze is more iconic for Geno and I'd absolutely love to see it in game, part of me sees Star Hill representing Geno really well.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I think Star Hill would make for an amazing stage. Something about it has always stood out in Super Mario RPG whether it be the drastically different look of it or it's beautiful theme.
While the forest maze is more iconic for Geno and I'd absolutely love to see it in game, part of me sees Star Hill representing Geno really well.
If I had it my way, I'd give the SMRPG fans a stage just filled with nostalgia. I think I brought it up a few pages earlier, like maybe the stage could be Blade. And it would be a traveling stage visiting various locations from Mario RPG. Mario's Pad, Bandit's Way, Forest Maze, Yo'ster Isle, Star Hill, Nimbus Land, Bowser's Keep w/Exor.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

It is big. It's been going around that Sakurai would just settle and have Geno be an echo of the Mii Gunner. And say that's good enough.

You mean like Lylat Cruise where it just travels around multiple sections?
Exactly.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

That just makes me happy because that video angered me xD hey maybe in the next video they will give Geno a higher score for as an original character ;)
probably not but I'd appreciate it even if it doesn't really mean anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I don't think it was necessary to take it down

It WAS just his opinion, after all. Each episode of RTC state at the beginning it's just the exact individuals opinion.

Opinions can be criticized, but I don't think they should be silenced.

I didn't like it, and had a fun time meme'ing it. But that's just my opinion

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

It WAS just his opinion, after all. Each episode of RTC state at the beginning it's just the exact individuals opinion.

Well, it is not really being changed due to opinion, just a fault in assumption. Confusing what someone really meant, especially in this sort of situation, is worth rethinking your work.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

well the actual reasoning is that they felt they said Sakurai said something that he actually didn't. a mistranslation.
and Source Gaming takes the accuracy of their work very seriously. which is why I actually have a lot of respect for them and prefer to go off their information when handling information and leaks.

speaking of "Leaks" wasn't one of them saying a character reveal was happening today? don't think it's actually happening obviously. but will be happy when it's proven false. I'm honestly annoyed by the amount of fake "leaks" people have been giving attention when they have nothing to show that they are legit.

hopefully after this month is over we can calm down, learn to stop paying attention to every half baked attempt at a fake leak, and who knows. maybe we can just let ourselves be suprised when a new character (A.K.A. Geno) arrives.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I kept waiting and when nothing came up and nothing was even hinted at I felt relieved... even if it was nothing, the anticipation that someone actually got a leak when they have been so secretive that even many nintendo employees didn't know the full roster made me unsettled.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... I kept waiting and when nothing came up and nothing was even hinted at I felt relieved... even if it was nothing, the anticipation that someone actually got a leak when they have been so secretive that even many nintendo employees didn't know the full roster made me unsettled.
couldn't honestly remember at first which one was the one that said 22nd. looked back and it was the one with Mother 3D. RIP!
now just gotta get to the end of the month to kill off the riddle leak.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
couldn't honestly remember at first which one was the one that said 22nd. looked back and it was the one with Mother 3D. RIP!
now just gotta get to the end of the month to kill off the riddle leak.
There was no way that Mother 3D was going to be real

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
There was no way that Mother 3D was going to be real
Well yes obviously xD was saying that as a joke. (with maybe the tiniest of pinch of sadness being a mother fan, but never believed it in the first place)

although this was one some people were believing because it was getting some things right, even though they were really light and some actually were not quite on the mark per say.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Well yes obviously xD was saying that as a joke. (with maybe the tiniest of pinch of sadness being a mother fan, but never believed it in the first place)

although this was one some people were believing because it was getting some things right, even though they were really light and some actually were not quite on the mark per say.
I'm honestly glad none of the leaks have been correct so far. Like I said before, I don't want any leaks this time around. This time I want to be pleasantly surprised.

Though I do hope we get a Direct or some kind of an update soon.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure we will. The drought of info has gone on for over a month now, and there's very little time before the game releases

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If anyone needs liked the op and wants to be added to the supporter list I'll add you after work today. I had a rough week with my dog dying and stuff

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is an unusual amount of Blastoise fans that like Geno for some odd reason. Blastoise is also my favorite Pokemon so a lot of people with really good tastes

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
There is an unusual amount of Blastoise fans that like Geno for some odd reason. Blastoise is also my favorite Pokemon so a lot of people with really good tastes
I always enjoyed all three original starters. But, I liked Bulbasaur the most. Mostly because my best friend always picked Squirtle and my little brother would always pick Charmander. Still, I loved the Pokemon a lot.

So, was listening to some old SMRPG music while messing around with a "Character Reveal Trailer" for Geno. Found this, which happens at the end of the game. Man, to think this really has been "Geno's Goodbye" is kinda heartbreaking. Young Houndstooth didn't have a clue that it really was "goodbye." At l east, for now...

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I always enjoyed all three original starters. But, I liked Bulbasaur the most. Mostly because my best friend always picked Squirtle and my little brother would always pick Charmander. Still, I loved the Pokemon a lot.

So, was listening to some old SMRPG music while messing around with a "Character Reveal Trailer" for Geno. Found this, which happens at the end of the game. Man, to think this really has been "Geno's Goodbye" is kinda heartbreaking. Young Houndstooth didn't have a clue that it really was "goodbye." At l east, for now...
Croco and Johnny should have been playable imo

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Blastoise is also one of my favorites interesting enough.... hmmm...
Blastoise has Guns, Geno has Guns. maybe we have a thing for putting guns into unusual things that also happen to be blue? xD

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
The Super Mario RPG story needed a whole lot of more, period, especially dialogue, but that's easily rectified with a remake. Lookat Loopy-Lupe's comic series for a perfect example of a better-scripted version of the game.

That's more of a tatuology at this point, though. I hope we get some news soon. I can't take these information droughts.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm replaying through the game and narrative I can't express how hard I agree. Johnny should have joined during the Yaridovich battle and Croco should have joined... actually, I'm not sure where, for that one.
I always wished Johnny would join the team after/during that fight. It would have been a perfect opportunity. He would have been a lot of fun. I’m glad I wasn’t alone on that front. That game had a lot of fun characters like that.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I think it might be time I replay through Mario RPG again myself. it actually has been quite a long time so my memories are more blurry of it. which will make playing it again even more exciting! and what better way to hype up for Geno in smash ;)
oh yeah I remember wishing Johnny would join the party way back when I first played. but since It's been awhile I can't quite remember why. just remember him being a Boss character I loved.

Well, this is interesting. I find this very respectable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8u-zfOUz-s
yeah it's very professional and honest of them. don't think I'd see most other youtubers go to the lengths and hold up quite the level of standards that those guys do. all the respect in the world.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been planning a run of smrpg where I only upgrade the stat that gets an extra increase that level. I checked Mario wiki for how much each stat raises.

If Mario rpg was portable I would definitely play it more though. I go through Pokémon rby runs all the time

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Is there any possibility that Square Enix could be typical Square Enix and demand Sakurai to only license the rights of Geno for a Mii Costume and not as a full character? Part of me is still pretty sus about the company.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there any possibility that Square Enix could be typical Square Enix and demand Sakurai to only license the rights of Geno for a Mii Costume and not as a full character? Part of me is still pretty sus about the company.
Who knows?

I can't imagine Square being very protective of Geno, though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure when you are given the rights to a character, you can use them for whatever you need. Plus, I don't imagine Square would restrict Sakurai.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure when you are given the rights to a character, you can use them for whatever you need. Plus, I don't imagine Square would restrict Sakurai.
Cloud was so last minute, that's why he was DLC. He probably wanted to make Geno playable but only had enough time to get Cloud done.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Cloud was so last minute, that's why he was DLC. He probably wanted to make Geno playable but only had enough time to get Cloud done.
Yep, Square was involved so late last time. With them being here from the beginning will hopefully bode well for Geno. Not only that, but also more content from them(more music and remixes).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yep, Square was involved so late last time. With them being here from the beginning will hopefully bode well for Geno. Not only that, but also more content from them(more music and remixes).
Also, I doubt Square look's at the idea of character slots the same way we do. Any opportunity to add one of their Ip to this massive game is good in their book, and although Geno may not have been anything recent, Geno being in Smash would give the character more value and open up new possible game's in the future. Square has an entire division for making Switch game's after all.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Oh I would be so happy if we got more FF music. I wanted one wing angel so bad in smash 4!

Also, I doubt Square look's at the idea of character slots the same way we do. Any opportunity to add one of their Ip to this massive game is good in their book, and although Geno may not have been anything recent, Geno being in Smash would give the character more value and open up new possible game's in the future. Square has an entire division for making Switch game's after all.
right that is interesting that they have an entire team dedicated to switch games now. actually may be something that gives hope to the idea of a Mario RPG 2. because if the team is specifically about doing games for nintendo, why not do a collab again and bring back an old favorite? doesn't mean it's a sure fire thing to happen, but seems like it would make perfect sense for them to do something like that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been curious what happens if you hack a character in Mario RPG to a level they aren't supposed to be in the game.

Like hack Geno to level 1 or if it's somehow possible to hack them over level 20.

Would they have stats for those levels?

---

It looks like some people have done that.

Apparently the higher level you get the less stats start raising.

Presumably to avoid getting over 255

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom