• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Unfortunately, several people on that thread seem to be convinced Geno would be a Square Enix rep instead of a Mario rep and don't vote for him when they would otherwise... those poor, confused souls...
On the bright side, though, we are in second only to the meme genie himself! When even the plebs of Reddit know your character and want him in Smash, it's kind of hard to call him unknown anymore.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Unfortunately, several people on that thread seem to be convinced Geno would be a Square Enix rep instead of a Mario rep and don't vote for him when they would otherwise... those poor, confused souls...
On the bright side, though, we are in second only to the meme genie himself! When even the plebs of Reddit know your character and want him in Smash, it's kind of hard to call him unknown anymore.
It's not a terrible leap in logic to consider that if you think about what hoops they have to jump through to get the Squeenix-owned Geno into the game as a playable fighter.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
It's not a terrible leap in logic to consider that if you think about what hoops they have to jump through to get the Squeenix-owned Geno into the game as a playable fighter.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Square demanded a second rep in the game to agree with allowing Geno in.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Also, just FYI, someone over at Reddit made a straw poll pitting Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi and Captain Toad against each other for most wanted Mario newcomer. You all might want to go vote on that. I voted for Geno obviously... though I think Reddit's still reeling a little bit from the Waluigi disconfirmation. Poor souls. :(

We need to keep getting our names out there and representing the cult the effort!
We need to do more than vote (but make sure to vote, tho). "Geno" needs to be a common name in all sorts of various threads. This is probably the last shot he has in Smash, so we need to make sure that he gets it (even if it takes DLC).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Also, just FYI, someone over at Reddit made a straw poll pitting Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi and Captain Toad against each other for most wanted Mario newcomer. You all might want to go vote on that. I voted for Geno obviously... though I think Reddit's still reeling a little bit from the Waluigi disconfirmation. Poor souls. :(

We need to keep getting our names out there and representing the cult the effort!
O-oh my. Having to choose between Paper Mario and Geno and Waluigi.

Ehhhhhhhh...
Geno it is, then.

If that was the case, how come he was a Mii Costume?
The fact is that he (or the person he has doing it) has to ask again for the new game.
It's not like you get the rights to use something for a project and it stays for all future projects.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If that was the case, how come he was a Mii Costume?
I would guess that since still had license dealings with Cloud and the Chocobo, they decided to add Geno as a Mii Costume. What I am referring to is who owns the license to Geno himself.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I would guess that since still had license dealings with Cloud and the Chocobo, they decided to add Geno as a Mii Costume. What I am referring to is who owns the license to Geno himself.
Nintendo should seriously just find a way to get the rights back to SMRPG. I mean, it's not like Square is going to do anything with it, and there were a crap-ton of amazing character designs in that game. Hell, they basically made the Yoshis into Nintendo's own version of the Chocobo.

And you can't tell me with a straight face that Booster isn't a better Wario.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nintendo should seriously just find a way to get the rights back to SMRPG. I mean, it's not like Square is going to do anything with it, and there were a crap-ton of amazing character designs in that game. Hell, they basically made the Yoshis into Nintendo's own version of the Chocobo.
Nintendo should.

And you can't tell me with a straight face that Booster isn't a better Wario.
He fits the original antagonist role that Wario occupied before he branched off.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I like to think that Booster is Wario's cousin or something.

Also, I'm curious. I see lots of people talking about how there's this 'competition' between potential Mario characters. Assuming Geno was a lock, would any Geno-supporters be -against- the other top Mario options getting in?

(I'm hardly a Mario fan at all, but I would love to see Captain Toad, Paper Mario, AND Waluigi in along with Geno and Daisy.)

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Well I also really want Paper Mario. although with him I specifically want his design to be more off the original and TTYD using partners in his moveset. if they base it off sticker star or color splash I will be mad. Waluigi I'm indifferent too and Toad I think I'd prefer be left out personally.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well I also really want Paper Mario. although with him I specifically want his design to be more off the original and TTYD using partners in his moveset. if they base it off sticker star or color splash I will be mad. Waluigi I'm indifferent too and Toad I think I'd prefer be left out personally.
As much as I also love Paper Mario, I’d just rather not see another version of Mario. I’m already a little disappointed we have three Links, and two versions of Mario... I’d much rather see unique characters to represent other series/spinoffs. I don’t have a clear cut winner for Paper Mario, but for example Fawful would be a fun representative for Mario RPG’s if we can’t ever get Geno in...

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I feel like the big thing holding Captain Toad down, quite literally and figuratively, is his backpack. It could be said that the ability to jump isn't necessarily needed, but it's a huge factor in matches and I don't see how they could make a workaround without simply giving him the ability to jump.

As said above, I don't know how I'd feel about Paper Mario. Having three Marios instead another character to represent the RPG era of Mario would feel a bit off to me.

Waluigi.. I'd be down for. If he's anything like he is in Legacy XP then we'd be in for a real treat. There isn't much else for me to say about him that hasn't already been said.

And Geno is, well, Geno. My participation in this thread shows my love for him and my desire to see him as a fighter. I've been rooting for him since the Brawl days, and this is the best chance he's got to make it. Hopefully by December our wish will come true.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I honestly would have no problem with any other Mario characters, except maybe Paper Mario. And I happen to love the (first 3 games in the) PM series--I just think he would have to be extremely different from Mario, and that means the same amount of effort as a totally unique character...for another version of Mario. It doesn't sit right with me.

I'd be more for Captain Toad, actually. It would appease Toad fans, and he could be unique. The jumping thing doesn't seem like an issue, either--Ness never jumped in his game, but he's an amazing jumper. I remember way back in the N64 days how odd it was to see him jumping...but I got over it pretty fast. Just give CT a terrible but serviceable jump, and we're golden.

But I'm rapidly skewing off topic. If Geno were in, I couldn't care less how many other Mario characters there were. It's Mario--You know it'll have a ton. I feel the same about Zelda, even though they almost never get newcomers.

Now, FE and Pokemon...that's a different story, lol.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I feel if Geno and King K. Rool and Isaac all ended up being playable this time around it would cause the end of an era

After all these characters have been inactive for years and they have been supported for way back maybe even before brawl and they all have big fanbases as well

I really hope Sakurai listen to all of them and make them playable this game is called "ultimate" after all

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I honestly would have no problem with any other Mario characters, except maybe Paper Mario. And I happen to love the (first 3 games in the) PM series--I just think he would have to be extremely different from Mario, and that means the same amount of effort as a totally unique character...for another version of Mario. It doesn't sit right with me.

I'd be more for Captain Toad, actually. It would appease Toad fans, and he could be unique. The jumping thing doesn't seem like an issue, either--Ness never jumped in his game, but he's an amazing jumper. I remember way back in the N64 days how odd it was to see him jumping...but I got over it pretty fast. Just give CT a terrible but serviceable jump, and we're golden.

But I'm rapidly skewing off topic. If Geno were in, I couldn't care less how many other Mario characters there were. It's Mario--You know it'll have a ton. I feel the same about Zelda, even though they almost never get newcomers.

Now, FE and Pokemon...that's a different story, lol.
Pokemon is fine, it's the highest grossing franchise of all time. However Fire Emblem....

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon is fine, it's the highest grossing franchise of all time. However Fire Emblem....
Honestly I have no problems with multiple characters from a single franchise if their inclusion is interesting enough to warrant it. The main issue I have with Fire Emblem characters is that they're all boring sword users for the most part.

However Ike is great. Ike is love, Ike is life.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel if Geno and King K. Rool and Isaac all ended up being playable this time around it would cause the end of an era

After all these characters have been inactive for years and they have been supported for way back maybe even before brawl and they all have big fanbases as well

I really hope Sakurai listen to all of them and make them playable this game is called "ultimate" after all
I really feel like this game will be the one to take a huge chunk out of the current requests. We're already getting that out of Inkling, Ridley and Daisy alone.

Honestly I have no problems with multiple characters from a single franchise if their inclusion is interesting enough to warrant it. The main issue I have with Fire Emblem characters is that they're all boring sword users for the most part.

Yeah, I'd much rather see new characters for any other series (although Game & Watch seems impossible to have any new ones for, even if some people want the wolf).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Considering those are my top three characters I want to see in the series (Yeah I might be unoriginal in that regard, but I genuinely love all three characters and I’ll say Chibi Robo and Ashley come next so I’m not THAT unoriginal) I would believe the Ultimate moniker was earned. The whole situation would have basically wiped the floor with the biggest communities and it would leave speculation for future newcomers as basically all new (Waluigi aside).

It’s such a crazy idea that I just can’t bring myself to believe in such a hope. I expect one realistically and any additional characters are icing on the cake (Ridley being confirmed help ensure this was the case).

Don’t get me wrong I definitely want Geno in, but I’d just be fine with any of the three and pleasantly surprised despite how likely I want to believe they all are

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/#more-5563

This was probably posted in the earlier pages, but Cloud was totally Sakurai's decision, and SE was surprised at it, and thought he would ask for a character from a newer game. This is good as it shows SE is not demanding characters otherwise we might have had Lightning or Noctis in SSB4. I think all they really care about is money, so asking for Geno shouldn't be that much of a hassle hopefully.

Troykv

Smash Master

Ike is a meme since 2008.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/#more-5563

This was probably posted in the earlier pages, but Cloud was totally Sakurai's decision, and SE was surprised at it, and thought he would ask for a character from a newer game. This is good as it shows SE is not demanding characters otherwise we might have had Lightning or Noctis in SSB4. I think all they really care about is money, so asking for Geno shouldn't be that much of a hassle hopefully.
Yeah; probably in this time Square was already used to be asked for their newest creations to advertise stuff (like the Louis Vuitton thing with Lightning)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Good find. Shows that Square aren't such a holes.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I know certain people make these posts all the time, and I know it means absolutely nothing, but last night I had a dream that Geno was revealed.

Smash dreams are always the suckiest to wake up from.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I know certain people make these posts all the time, and I know it means absolutely nothing, but last night I had a dream that Geno was revealed.

Smash dreams are always the suckiest to wake up from.
Had one the other night as well.

It looked like a regular Nintendo direct, but the way the newcomers were revealed was much different. It was said that these newcomers were highly based off of ballot votes, and showed a sort of drumroll technique while cycling through sillouhetes of characters. Geno was the first sillouhete shown before the cycle even started, so I was already freaking out. It landed on Geno and said he had a "70-75% popularity rating", whatever that would mean. It also revealed Paper Mario and, oddly enough, Doomguy. There were one or two others I don't remember.

Gameplay was shown; Geno looked very similar to his Project M moveset, but obviously perked up and with some differences.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Had one the other night as well.

It looked like a regular Nintendo direct, but the way the newcomers were revealed was much different. It was said that these newcomers were highly based off of ballot votes, and showed a sort of drumroll technique while cycling through sillouhetes of characters. Geno was the first sillouhete shown before the cycle even started, so I was already freaking out. It landed on Geno and said he had a "70-75% popularity rating", whatever that would mean. It also revealed Paper Mario and, oddly enough, Doomguy. There were one or two others I don't remember.

Gameplay was shown; Geno looked very similar to his Project M moveset, but obviously perked up and with some differences.
I'd absolutely love it if we had one big live event before the game released and Sakurai showed off every last newcomer in this manner. Instead of sillouhetes however, they're the icons belonging to every newcomer, with question marks to represent the ones yet to join Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd absolutely love it if we had one big live event before the game released and Sakurai showed off every last newcomer in this manner. Instead of sillouhetes however, they're the icons belonging to every newcomer, with question marks to represent the ones yet to join Smash.
I feel like that would heavily divide individual fanbases. For example, let's say only one DK icon was shown - the Dixie Kong and K. Rool fanbases would both think that, obviously, their character is going to be the one to make it in, and it would lead to a lot of arguing.

EDIT: Unless you meant that all of the newcomers would be revealed over the course of the event, but still, that would be a tense few minutes.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact that Nintendo tweeted in celebration of the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG I don't believe is a mere coincidence given it's a collaborative title with Square. I think they were deliberately trying to hint he will be coming. That, and if characters like Ridley who were fan favorites for years or the Duck Hunt Dog that pretty much almost no one outside of the Smash community would even remotely make that guess seriously make the cut, I think the stars are in allignment for him.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
The fact that Nintendo tweeted in celebration of the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG I don't believe is a mere coincidence given it's a collaborative title with Square. I think they were deliberately trying to hint he will be coming. That, and if characters like Ridley who were fan favorites for years or the Duck Hunt Dog that pretty much almost no one outside of the Smash community would even remotely make that guess seriously make the cut, I think the stars are in allignment for him.
I saw this and I was inclined to feel that it wasn't a coincidence as well. I don't personally follow Nintendo on Twitter. Does anybody know if this is something they do with a lot of games? Do they celebrate anniversaries and are interactive with their followers in the sense that they asked if people were Team Geno and Team Mallow. I think where there is smoke there is fire, but obviously that too is just open to interpretation. I typically read into things (online and in my own life) so I definitely take that as a positive, but it definitely would be even more of a sign if they don't typically do that.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I saw this and I was inclined to feel that it wasn't a coincidence as well. I don't personally follow Nintendo on Twitter. Does anybody know if this is something they do with a lot of games? Do they celebrate anniversaries and are interactive with their followers in the sense that they asked if people were Team Geno and Team Mallow. I think where there is smoke there is fire, but obviously that too is just open to interpretation. I typically read into things (online and in my own life) so I definitely take that as a positive, but it definitely would be even more of a sign if they don't typically do that.
I don't know what it meant, but saying something as random as "Team Mallow or Team Geno?" was totally out of nowhere. Anybody know if the Japanese account also posted the same thing?

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I don't know what it meant, but saying something as random as "Team Mallow or Team Geno?" was totally out of nowhere. Anybody know if the Japanese account also posted the same thing?
Just looked through to find out, the only thing that the Japanese Nintendo account posted on the anniversary of SMRPG was about that Mario Kart x Google maps stuff.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Just looked through to find out, the only thing that the Japanese Nintendo account posted on the anniversary of SMRPG was about that Mario Kart x Google maps stuff.
That's a shame. That means it was probably just whoever runs the NoA Twitter looking to start some **** up.

TBone06

Smash Ace
That's a shame. That means it was probably just whoever runs the NoA Twitter looking to start some **** up.
Are the two accounts generally consistent? You’d have to think they would be run independently and thus have differences.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, America is where Geno has a lot of fans. Even if Nintendo of Japan didn't make any noteworthy tweets for its Japanese anniversary, it's still noteworthy and not something to immediately dismiss

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And he was still at least in the top 20 in Japan. The top 20 is also filled with tons of veterans that didn't make a comeback in Smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom