• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Something I just remembered, it has been asked on multiple occasions how they would incorporate the iconic Geno doll. The thing is, at the end of SMRPG when Geno left the doll, it did not shrink back to its original size. It is still the same size as it had been when it was controlled, just now slumped over. It is kinda creepy when you think about it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, I just took a look at the RTC thread since Geno is next and I wanted to see some predictions and MAN some people there are low balling his chances. Last time they did him he got a chance of 27.31%(Making him the 17th highest rated as of now) and want of 43.75%(Making him the 31st highest). It will be interesting to see how these percentages shift after it is over and done with.
For reference, Ridley and Daisy were both sub 20%, Rate Their Chances doesn't have the best track record when it comes to chances.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Something I just remembered, it has been asked on multiple occasions how they would incorporate the iconic Geno doll. The thing is, at the end of SMRPG when Geno left the doll, it did not shrink back to its original size. It is still the same size as it had been when it was controlled, just now slumped over. It is kinda creepy when you think about it.
Perfect for returning to it whenever the world needs him again, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Like he said, he was going to return again when the time called for it.

He wouldn't need extra effort in order to regrow the body

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
With the way that support from the fan communities is going, it sort of feels like Geno would be the ultimate testament to fan service in the game as a playable character the more I think about it. Pretty much everyone is convinced we will see King K. Rool in the game because Ridley got in, and he's just so damn popular at this point. Isaac has always had a strong base, but his character has appeared significantly more than Geno as well.

I think that leaves Geno as the ultimate statement Sakurai can make to making a game for fans. Giving the one off puppet with a swelling fan base the representation in Smash he deserves (and also achieving Sakurai's goal of including him as well in the process)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
With the way that support from the fan communities is going, it sort of feels like Geno would be the ultimate testament to fan service in the game as a playable character the more I think about it. Pretty much everyone is convinced we will see King K. Rool in the game because Ridley got in, and he's just so damn popular at this point. Isaac has always had a strong base, but his character has appeared significantly more than Geno as well.

I think that leaves Geno as the ultimate statement Sakurai can make to making a game for fans. Giving the one off puppet with a swelling fan base the representation in Smash he deserves (and also achieving Sakurai's goal of including him as well in the process)
And in the case of Geno, the fanservice would be 100% apparent just from his inclusion alone since he, as a character, doesn't have a legacy like Ridley and K. Rool do; he's essentially evolved beyond his character and become a timeless emblem of Smash speculation as a whole due to being one of, if not the longest-standing common character request bar Ridley. So yes, I agree that he would truly be the ultimate fanservice pick even if folks like K. Rool may be more commonly requested in this day and age, and I hope Sakurai agrees.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looking through the Japanese website, I think I know what Geno's subtitle is going to be in Japanese

参戦

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's just Japanese for 'to join the battle/competition'. It's pronounced 'sansen'.
I know, that joke is that every fighter in Japanese gets that

As opposed to in English where they make lots of puns

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Yeah. I wonder who started that tradition of the English version getting a bunch of cool puns for 'joins the battle' whereas Japanese, the language of puns, gets the same message for everyone.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Geno is getting rerated in the RTC, come show your support.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
As far as I'm concerned, there's only one character that could produce anywhere near the same amount of hype as Ridley's announcement did. With Ridley reaching the mantle of playable after so many years, only one other character has the same amount of staying power as Ridley did. Waluigi maybe be stupidly popular at the moment, but ultimately Geno is the second most requested (realistic) unimplemented Smash Bros. character in history.

SSBU is a love letter to the fans. It's a culmination of everything we've been waiting for since the heyday of Brawl speculation back on the original Nsider, for goodness sake. We got our dragon, now we need our knight. Geno is definitely going to be in this game.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As far as I'm concerned, there's only one character that could produce anywhere near the same amount of hype as Ridley's announcement did. With Ridley reaching the mantle of playable after so many years, only one other character has the same amount of staying power as Ridley did. Waluigi maybe be stupidly popular at the moment, but ultimately Geno is the second most requested (realistic) unimplemented Smash Bros. character in history.

SSBU is a love letter to the fans. It's a culmination of everything we've been waiting for since the heyday of Brawl speculation back on the original Nsider, for goodness sake. We got our dragon, now we need our knight. Geno is definitely going to be in this game.
From everything I've seen, King K. Rool still holds the number two spot. I've definitely seen him come up much more often than Geno, or really, any character. And Isaac is competing for the top of fan requested characters as well I would imagine. It'd be interesting to see some sort of more official poll with regards to who is most popular (Excluding third parties). I mean my top three is King K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac in that order, so I can't say I'd be anything less than ecstatic with the reveal of one of them (Let alone all three).

Geno is certainly vying for a top spot though, but I'd argue he's not quite the top of requests yet. Which is unfortunately I think in part due to people thinking he isn't a reasonable candidate in the same way the other two are.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno_Gensing.png

I was working on this real fast.

First draft. I need to get a splatter brush for photoshop

Also I don't know Japanese so I have no idea if my "Geno" in Japanese reads right.

I literally just copied what the characters basically look like

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Geno is certainly vying for a top spot though, but I'd argue he's not quite the top of requests yet. Which is unfortunately I think in part due to people thinking he isn't a reasonable candidate in the same way the other two are.
A lot of that is from fans of competing characters and there really isn't much we can do to mitigate that. People are still going to want Paper Mario and Captain Toad and they will always believe their favored character is a more reasonable choice in general because that's just their taste.

I mean, all of the arguments one can make against Geno apply just as much to Isaac and K. Rool despite the fact that they were in multiple games, for example... I'm sure Isaac fans will never hear the end of complainers bashing their series as a one-off JRPG miniseries that never went anywhere and has no relevance or importance to gaming history, or how K. Rool is owned by Rare and is a forgotten relic of a bygone past that Nintendo doesn't care about anymore -- people can make up reasons left and right for why a character should or shouldn't get in, and they'd all be just as valid.

Haters gonna hate.

(I don't actually believe those two statements by the way; they just sound like the sort of thing haters of those characters would say)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While I know he's a super-popular request and I love Geno as a character, I honestly think he should just be an Assist Trophy.

TBone06

Smash Ace
While I know he's a super-popular request and I love Geno as a character, I honestly think he should just be an Assist Trophy.
I think it would be suicide for Sakurai if he did that after he said he wanted to make him playable whether it’s fair or not, and he has to know that. I see it as playable or nothing (unless they bring back costumes). I don’t see the point of going through the hassle if they can’t go all the way with it. If they can get him as an AT, they can get him as a playable character. I can agree that most characters who only have one game are more suited as an AT, but I feel Geno is the exception, Isaac too (although I didn’t play the second Golden Sun to the end so I don’t know if he’s in one game or two)

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I think it would be suicide for Sakurai if he did that after he said he wanted to make him playable whether it’s fair or not, and he has to know that. I see it as playable or nothing (unless they bring back costumes). I don’t see the point of going through the hassle if they can’t go all the way with it. If they can get him as an AT, they can get him as a playable character. I can agree that most characters who only have one game are more suited as an AT, but I feel Geno is the exception, Isaac too (although I didn’t play the second Golden Sun to the end so I don’t know if he’s in one game or two)
Yeah, Geno has FAR too varied a moveset and way too many different abilities to really fit as an AT. Assist Trophies, no offense to any fans of AT characters, tend to be one-trick ponies -- the kinds of characters that players want in but the developers can't really do much with in terms of a moveset to really make them a viable roster addition. Bomberman, Takamaru, and Waluigi are pretty titular examples of that. Geno... is not that way. At all. Even Little Mac doesn't have that varied a moveset even though he ascended from AT status, as well he should have.

Which is why I wonder at all of these people who want characters like Captain Toad or Paper Mario in over Geno. There's just not much one can really do with those characters. Sure, Paper Mario has his transformations from Thousand Year Door, but you still can't really *do* much with a paper character, and Captain Toad can't really do much in his own games fighting-wise. This is actually one of the main reasons why I support Geno -- any new additions to the roster should be unique, and Geno unlike his competition really is unique in a lot of ways, certainly way too varied in skill to fit as an AT.

Come to think of it, that's probably the reason why they chose to make a Geno Mii costume as opposed to just making him an AT outright...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ginseng.png

I did a second draft which I think is a little better

I tweeted it out to Nintendo and Sakurai to show there is still support for the character

Edit: I just noticed that somehow between version Geno has more pixelation. Not sure how that happened

Hopefully it's not just seen as spam

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Playing through SMRPG for the..well actually I lost count what number this is.....but anyways I was thinking after some amount of time going through the game how it'd be so awesome to see trophies of some of the enemies and even some bosses.
For example, enemies and bosses that I love in no order: K-9, Cluster, Chained Kong (what is this Kong's story?... :( ), Boomer, Fink Flower, Crook, Yaridovich, Mastadoom, Exor, Bowyer, Carroboscis, Corkpedite, the Axem Rangers and of course evil Santa, Smithy.

I'm not too sure of this happening due to the whole Geno being third party situation and it most likely wouldn't because that'd be extra content to go through legal hoops over but man...that'd be awesome to see official HD models of these other forgotten characters.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Playing through SMRPG for the..well actually I lost count what number this is.....but anyways I was thinking after some amount of time going through the game how it'd be so awesome to see trophies of some of the enemies and even some bosses.
For example, enemies and bosses that I love in no order: K-9, Cluster, Chained Kong (what is this Kong's story?... :( ), Boomer, Fink Flower, Crook, Yaridovich, Mastadoom, Exor, Bowyer, Carroboscis, Corkpedite, the Axem Rangers and of course evil Santa, Smithy.

I'm not too sure of this happening due to the whole Geno being third party situation and it most likely wouldn't because that'd be extra content to go through legal hoops over but man...that'd be awesome to see official HD models of these other forgotten characters.
I was thinking about doing another 100% SMRPG play through, to help me get through this waiting game of Geno's hopefully inevitable announcement as a playable fighter.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I've been streaming SMRPG lately. It's been fun to talk about the game with other fans. There are so many secrets and such that people miss out on. It's fun to point them out to people.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Yeesh, the RTC turned into a bit of a mess.
I was about to say it’s getting lit up in that board. People are getting so bent out of shape, it’s ridiculous.

Also, they were talking about a Square rep saying that they knew what characters aren’t in the game, but I haven’t heard that ever. Does anyone know what that person is talking about?

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Just scanned over the RTC for Geno/Dillon, and whoo boy. It went better than I expected, but it was still like throwing a match into gasoline.

I do agree that giving Geno a 0% is unnecessarily nescient, but people do have their opinions and I am one to not dwell upon them or go into specifics with them. At the end of the day, we all think what we think and we try to keep it that way. I didn't give my two cents in the RTC thread itself.

I was about to say it’s getting lit up in that board. People are getting so bent out of shape, it’s ridiculous.

Also, they were talking about a Square rep saying that they knew what characters aren’t in the game, but I haven’t heard that ever. Does anyone know what that person is talking about?
I haven't heard anything about that Square translator until today, but apparently they had responded to these leaks in particular saying that there were characters in that image that were not in the game. Nothing is confirmed, but people speculate that the characters he's referring to are the Geno/Mallow team and Sora due to his supposed involvement with Square. Now, it could go two ways for Geno (*well, three*): either he isn't in the game, he isn't in the game as a team-up with Mallow, or this whole thing is just a sham and nothing has changed.

Another interesting thing I've found is that there has also been a spreadsheet going around that contains most of the Smash Ultimate "leaks" that have been put out. A hefty amount of them hold Geno as a newcomer. It's purely speculation at this point in time, but it's nice to see that he is showing up quite consistently. :bobomb:

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Just scanned over the RTC for Geno/Dillon, and whoo boy. It went better than I expected, but it was still like throwing a match into gasoline.

I do agree that giving Geno a 0% is unnecessarily nescient, but people do have their opinions and I am one to not dwell upon them or go into specifics with them. At the end of the day, we all think what we think and we try to keep it that way. I didn't give my two cents in the RTC thread itself.

I haven't heard anything about that Square translator until today, but apparently they had responded to these leaks in particular saying that there were characters in that image that were not in the game. Nothing is confirmed, but people speculate that the characters he's referring to are the Geno/Mallow team and Sora due to his supposed involvement with Square. Now, it could go two ways for Geno (*well, three*): either he isn't in the game, he isn't in the game as a team-up with Mallow, or this whole thing is just a sham and nothing has changed.

Another interesting thing I've found is that there has also been a spreadsheet going around that contains most of the Smash Ultimate "leaks" that have been put out. A hefty amount of them hold Geno as a newcomer. It's purely speculation at this point in time, but it's nice to see that he is showing up quite consistently. :bobomb:
I’d like to see where this supposed Square rep said this. Until that’s proven that’s super inconclusive. Even if that did happen, there are three characters there, so it easily could have been about two of the three. But it sounds fake.

Zema

Smash Journeyman

As I said in that thread, I only take issue with malicious posts. There were plenty of 0%s I didn't mind.

As for these supposed leaks... I'd just ignore them honestly. A lot of these are not verifiable or trustworthy. Anything you find on 4chan is often something you can dismiss.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeesh, the RTC turned into a bit of a mess.
You’re telling me. I knew it would be based upon people’s comments in other threads. And it has because painfully obvious that we’ve become the new Ridley of the Smash community.

The character that people love to crucify for this reason and that one as unrealistic and absurd. I’ve never tried to say Geno was a certain lock, and I’ve not seen him have this huge push in terms of spammers or people crying out the same way people have with Waluigi. Geno supporters have always seemed a relatively tame support group who just want to say there is a CHANCE he could be in a Smash game and is a character we like and think would be cool to see.

Are there Geno fans that bad out there? Cause I’ve never seen them and it more seems people just want us to shut up about a character they see as undeserving/irrelevant/pointless/etc. in Smash...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not getting too down over the RTC debacle. The worst of it is about what you'd expect (garbage about how Geno's "irrelevant", uninformed hate zeroes, people who hate him because his supporters are literally Hitler, etc.), and I haven't even seen that many double zeroes today. If anything, it seems the majority of people are willing to put him above the 20% range, which is absolutely incredibly given how much **** we, as a fanbase, get on the daily. That said, today also taught me that some people just aren't willing to respect this underdog's chances no matter how hard you try to convince them, and really, what's new there?
As for the Square Enix translator thing, I hadn't heard anything about it until today, but I'm willing to bet it's just someone trying to rustle some jimmies. Besides, we know the Heroes vs. Villains leak was a sham already (as if that was really a surprise), so it hardly matters, really.

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I’d like to see where this supposed Square rep said this. Until that’s proven that’s super inconclusive. Even if that did happen, there are three characters there, so it easily could have been about two of the three. But it sounds fake.
Here's the link to the original thread.

Masked Man apparently works for Square Enix, according to another user. His posts are now deleted, but the first one said:

Masked Man said:
As amusing as the idea is, I can definitively say the imgur leak is fake.​
Someone asked him to elaborate, he replied with this

Masked Man said:
“Fake” as in it includes characters I know won’t be in Smash.​

Note: his entire resetera account was deleted, not just the posts.

The speculation that followed focused on his use of the word characters, while referencing the imgur leak that was popular prior to the E3 reveal. The Square Enix characters included were Sora, and Geno & Mallow as a team fighter. Since he said characters, that could mean Sora & Mallow aren't in, still leaving Geno. At least, that's what I've told myself all this time.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
If Geno is in the game as a team with Mallow, would you be happy or disappointed ?
I honestly wouldn't mind it if they were a sort of tag team like Pokemon trainer. It wouldn't really make sense to have them like Ice Climbers, though. Nothing in the game implies they would fight together like that.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Just so you know for the future, Isaac is playable in GS1 and GS2 (he and his gang join you about 30% of the way through the game) and he is also in GS3 as the father of the main protagonist, but just appears at the beginning

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
If Geno is in the game as a team with Mallow, would you be happy or disappointed ?
A bit disappointed, I mean hey, we still have Geno, but I rather that he becomes a standalone fighter. Though I do think Mallow should have some role in this game whether as Geno's Final Smash, an AT, or something.

Last edited:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Thoughts of Geno potentially being on the roster has me visiting here for the first time in forever. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment, but I think he's got a real shot here. I always thought the biggest hurdle was Square...but with Cloud being in smash for a few years now and Sakurai seemingly making an all star game for the fans, this is his time. If he's in, I just hope it's not leaked and he gets a bad ass reveal trailer.

I definitely support Geno

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Here's the link to the original thread.

Masked Man apparently works for Square Enix, according to another user. His posts are now deleted, but the first one said:

Masked Man said:
As amusing as the idea is, I can definitively say the imgur leak is fake.​
Someone asked him to elaborate, he replied with this

Masked Man said:
“Fake” as in it includes characters I know won’t be in Smash.​

Note: his entire resetera account was deleted, not just the posts.

The speculation that followed focused on his use of the word characters, while referencing the imgur leak that was popular prior to the E3 reveal. The Square Enix characters included were Sora, and Geno & Mallow as a team fighter. Since he said characters, that could mean Sora & Mallow aren't in, still leaving Geno. At least, that's what I've told myself all this time.
God that’s a little worrying...

TBone06

Smash Ace
Just so you know for the future, Isaac is playable in GS1 and GS2 (he and his gang join you about 30% of the way through the game) and he is also in GS3 as the father of the main protagonist, but just appears at the beginning
I appreciate you letting me know! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom