• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, he did, and he said that he thought a Nintendo character was coming, but he wasn't sure. Basically, he wasn't certain about Plant at all. He isn't a liar, no, but he sure likes to backtrack a lot.
I mean, it's possible that he just sucks as deflivering info. Anyway i see no reason to believe totally for or against him. Especially since we're probably going to find out some stuff very soon.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see why Shinobi not usually saying Smash or Nintendo stuff matters much.

Vergeben, from what I know, usually posted leaks for Bandai Namco games and didn't have anything Nintendo until he started dropping Smash info; some of which other insiders already mentioned, but he also had some that no one else talked about.

Sabi says Shinobi has the highest credibility, Ryce vouches for Shinobi saying that he just had misinfo if he's wrong, and Jon from GameXplain uploaded a video over the rumor. Jon is also a ResetEra admin. edit: and Vergeben said "it is looking like Shinobi wasn't teasing people for no reason."

Shinobi clearly has connections and could get Smash info. He's not trolling, and we'll have no reason to believe he's wrong unless E3 comes and there's no Banjo.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Part of that is because people exaggerate the timeline of things. They might've negotiated to get erdrick at the same time, which would explain a few things, but either way i think they only started working on the character much much later. There's nothing saying they had to touch the character before it was time (getting close to dlc)
Even Sakurai has said that one fighter has been in the works since before game release though.

Everyone just assumes that character to be Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't see why Shinobi not usually saying Smash or Nintendo stuff matters much.

Vergeben, from what I know, usually posted leaks for Bandai Namco games and didn't have anything Nintendo until he started dropping Smash info; some of which other insiders already mentioned, but he also had some that no one else talked about.

Sabi says Shinobi has the highest credibility, Ryce vouches for Shinobi saying that he just had misinfo if he's wrong, and Jon from GameXplain uploaded a video over the rumor. Jon is also a ResetEra admin.

Shinobi clearly has connections and could get Smash info. He's not trolling, and we'll have no reason to believe he's wrong unless E3 comes and there's no Banjo.
No I think shinobi probably has the info on banjo. I wasnt trying to downplay him as a leaker.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Just 5 more days until this madness comes to an end. Well, until the next leak comes out that is Haha.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just 5 more days until this madness comes to an end. Well, until the next leak comes out that is Haha.
Honestly, the SE and Microsoft reps are the only ones I'm invested in. After those are out of the way, it's just chill, smooth sailing from there.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
god im really glad banjo seems likely. if the only reveal we get is erdrick i dont even know if animal crossing news could make the direct actually enjoyable for me lmao

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Took a break from the Banjo Thread and the GenoBros discovered a possible flaw in Erdrick's Armor?!

Well...I completely forgot about people seeing the Cloud reveal direct so far in advance! (Super Beard Bros fan so knew of Jirards reaction)

I have always said something was fishy with Erdrick...however I will be happy with whatever honestly.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Took a break from the Banjo Thread and the GenoBros discovered a possible flaw in Erdrick's Armor?!

Well...I completely forgot about people seeing the Cloud reveal direct so far in advance! (Super Beard Bros fan so knew of Jirards reaction)

I have always said something was fishy with Erdrick...however I will be happy with whatever honestly.
Is something going over in the Banjo thread?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If Capcom gets a second rep and it's Resident Evil? We will yee-haw so hard our bones break.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Is something going over in the Banjo thread?
Just been living in the hype for the last couple of days :D (Seriously...my number 1 pick and only vote in the ballot)

But also, how did we forget this!? I guess hype truly blinds your judgement.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

It is really up to interpretation. We can point out dates and theorize when Tansut found out about Cloud but only he truly knows if he knew in advance or not.

I'm still hoping for the Geno Hail Mary but we shall definitely see. Sure Incineroar was known months in advance, but if nobody saw K.Rool or Ridley getting into the fight, then Geno could easily find a way to slip thru.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just been living in the hype for the last couple of days :D (Seriously...my number 1 pick and only vote in the ballot)

But also, how did we forget this!? I guess hype truly blinds your judgement.
It's always nice to take some time to calm down.

Anyhoo, I have been having trouble with something and I am curious what you guys would think.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It's always nice to take some time to calm down.

Anyhoo, I have been having trouble with something and I am curious what you guys would think.
Indeed it is. So much hype can be overwhelming lol.

Speak your mind.

Also, that Geno sure is great! (Still rooting, but keeping things in check)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Indeed it is. So much hype can be overwhelming lol.

Speak your mind.

Also, that Geno sure is great! (Still rooting, but keeping things in check)
Yeah, you never want to get too excited. That's its own kind of stress.

As you can see from my current icon, I am looking for a new avatar. I couldn't use my previous one anymore(Not sure if I can go into why even if it's rather minor, as I am not knowledgeable of policy), so I have been looking for a new one. Can't say I found any that feels right though. Despite my previous icon being the result of a bet, it had become quite attached to my account as an icon. I was just wondering if any of you have any recommendations from an outside perspective.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

As you can see from my current icon, I am looking for a new avatar. I couldn't use my previous one anymore(Not sure if I can go into why even if it's rather minor, as I am not knowledgeable of policy), so I have been looking for a new one. Can't say I found any that feels right though. Despite my previous icon being the result of a bet, it had become quite attached to my account as an icon. I was just wondering if any of you have any recommendations from an outside perspective.
I think you should go with your heart. If something feels good to you then can even try it out. If you want to root for a certain character you can also change it to something around that. Sometimes i look for crossover images and i do find some. But anyway i think it's better to just to with what feels good to you. And if you dont know what does,.. how would you enjoy picking your avatar?

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Crossposting from the General Speculation Thread in case anyone hear is just for Banjo. If you don't want to get spoiled, now might be the best time to get off the speculation train.
Cross post from Banjo and General thread.

Be careful gang! Also EarlTamm EarlTamm like Teeb147 Teeb147 said just gotta follow your heart. More power to you if you can find a merged avatar of some of your favorite things.

EDIT: Still trying to find Solid Snake in an apron with a fresh baked pie.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Well, I know you're a fan of RWBY and Persona (Once again, may I say, outstanding taste haha), so I found this image that may be to your liking and might be worth a consideration:

1559882171374.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think you should go with your heart. If something feels good to you then can even try it out. If you want to root for a certain character you can also change it to something around that. Sometimes i look for crossover images and i do find some. But anyway i think it's better to just to with what feels good to you. And if you dont know what does,.. how would you enjoy picking your avatar?
Cross post from Banjo and General thread.

Be careful gang! Also EarlTamm EarlTamm like Teeb147 Teeb147 said just gotta follow your heart. More power to you if you can find a merged avatar of some of your favorite things.

EDIT: Still trying to find Solid Snake in an apron with a fresh baked pie.
You guys are right, I should really just follow where my hear lea-
Well, I know you're a fan of RWBY and Persona (Once again, may I say, outstanding taste haha), so I found this image that may be to your liking and might be worth a consideration:

View attachment 226389
Decisions, decisions.
Also thank you.

In all seriousness, I am 100% sure my new avatar would have Ruby. And because you shared your dream avatar AugustusB AugustusB (I understood that reference), I will share mine. Basically, it would be Ruby playing with a Geno doll and one of those Doomguy collectibles from DOOM(2016), which is slightly inspired by a certain classic Rooster Teeth bit("Fight, fight, fight! Kiss kiss.")

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I sound like a broken record at this point, but Erdrick still has a good chance of being leakbait. The information for a potential Square rep/DLC has been known since August of last year, and it wasn't very long before DQ become a "public topic". Square Enix has leakbaited before, and Nintendo themselves have been caught doing so most recently with Star Fox Grand Prix being an industry hoax. Something that Polar/Sabi has ultimately confirmed to be the case. Plus, we already know that Vergeben, the man who ultimately started the DQ rep in Smash deal, has been highly discredited over the past 6 months, Hitagi infamously stated there would be no Atlus reps, the 5Chan leaks stated that Joker would have Jack Frost as part of his moveset, Xenother...nothing, and Tansut also claimed there was an image leak of a Square character that turned out to be false. The fact so many of these sources have been discredited along with the fact they couldn't even agree on who the Square rep was for a long period of time says a lot. So far, the only leaker that has proven to have a decent track record for both Smash Ultimate and other titles is Shinobi, and he confirmed Ridley in Ultimate last year along with other major aspects like the Norse setting for the recent God of War title and Mass Effect Andromeda on top of other things.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the SE and Microsoft reps are the only ones I'm invested in. After those are out of the way, it's just chill, smooth sailing from there.
I'm super invested in Capcom and if they'll even get a DLC fighter given all the content Capcom provided in base game.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who is unsure in Banjo? Honestly he might also be leakbait and it could be Crash or something. Current call for fighters pass and reveals
Game Awards 2018- Joker
E3-Geno and Crash/Banjo
September Direct - Bandana Dee
Game Awards 2019- Ryu Hayubusa

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
If you value late leaks, which you do since you brought up shinobi's late smash mention, then verge got piranha plant when it comes to dlc.

But I'll be honest, i find the arguments about verge and dlc to be ridiculous as hell. Especially when comparing someone who's had smash info, and someone who hasn't. Smash info is smash info. Missing joker is only 1 dlc, so no reason to stay fixated on that.

I want this to be my last post on this. Im fine talking about other things, but it's one of those topics that i really dont enjoy very long.
Just stay open, s'all ;)
He never said anything about Plant specifically. He got the Square rep in the base game wrong, as well as Minecraft content in the base game (he specifically said a boss would be present).
Don`t overblow Vergeben.
He is not even close to the level of Shinobi in terms of credibility

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
He never said anything about Plant specifically. He got the Square rep in the base game wrong, as well as Minecraft content in the base game (he specifically said a boss would be present).
Don`t overblow Vergeben.
He is not even close to the level of Shinobi in terms of credibility
I feel like, even if the Piranha Plant came up at any point, he wouldn't have believed it. If any of us had been told in advance that a Piranha Plant was going to be added to Smash Bros. as a playable character, I feel like we all would have dismissed it as that source messing with us.

While the Square rep in the base game (though I'm not sure if the part about them specifically being in the base game was info from Vergeben's sources or his own speculation) and Minecraft content were off, time (and E3) will tell how much truth there is to claims of Minecraft content and a new Square-Enix character. The DLC isn't done yet, and if Shinobi and Vergeben have legitimate information, then Nintendo is working with Microsoft for Smash's DLC, so we could get a Minecraft stage as that mysterious sixth blank spot on the stage select screen.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm going to step away from this thread during the e3 period. I'd rather focus on other stuff than still trying to see or make points around leakers and character chances, and some other things. I wish people would take different approaches to trying to find hope for their characters, but it is what it is, so see you after all this sometime. I'll still be around otherwise if someone wants to talk tho.

Enjoy the fun when you can ;)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, I can't blame anyone for bringing up Erdrick in regards to Geno's chances, because if Erdrick happens, chances are that Geno won't. It's an elephant in the room that's impossible to ignore.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, I can't blame anyone for bringing up Erdrick in regards to Geno's chances, because if Erdrick happens, chances are that Geno won't. It's an elephant in the room that's impossible to ignore.
It's more about how some people choose to approach it. And I understand it to some degree, even if I don't agree with it. I'd rather just take a hint and not visit here so that you can all do whatever you want, and I can focus on other stuff too.
I'll click 'unwatch' now. But anyone can pm if want to talk.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thinking about it, though, it's also like... what do we have to discuss about Geno's chances to find hope for him? Everything has been discussed ad nauseum, and no matter what we do, grasping at straws isn't going to do anything. It's just silly and stirring false hope. The reality is that, for a lot of people, things look really bad for Geno. We need any tiny glimmer of hope to keep our spirits up. It's not like we want the whole 20-piece chicken nugget of Geno getting the red carpet treatment with a huge legacy and relevance literally everywhere to the point of making peoples' livelihoods come to a halt like DQ. We just... want one nugget of love for the first time in 20+ years. That's it.

Sorry. I'm still pretty darn dour about things. I'm focusing a lot of my hopes on Banjo right now, because he's sitting kinda pretty right now. Banjo, my god, if he makes it in, that'll more than make up for my heartbreak over Geno.

Firox

Smash Master
In the case of Erdrick and Geno, it's a tough conflict of interest. Like Ovaltine said, getting one would likely hurt the chances of the other, so in a Geno thread, people are obviously going to be bias toward the puppet. It would be like if I went over to the Shantae thread and started preaching about how good Banjo's chances were compared to Shantae, given that there hasn't been any indications whatsoever that the genie was getting in. Even if the statement is true, you could bet that I'd get mobbed because people just get really passionate about the things they love. It's all about the target audience. Imagine a star trek fan walking into a star wars convention and ripping on Darth Vader. Their body would never be found. lol I know that's a totally different scenario but my point is that if you really want to hype with people of the same tastes and minimal opposition, then you would want to hit up that respective character's thread.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, the Tansut thing doesn't make Erdrick, or any Dragon Quest rep, for that matter, any less likely. With the situation regarding Sora, DQ is still the "safest" bet, imo.

Also, Ovaltine Ovaltine ... I'm just gonna leave this here. Dunno if this is considered a cheat or not, but...

Seriously, girl, you need to stop promising to eat stuff if certain characters happen. I still remember a post of yours on this very thread regarding Bubsy and raw onions. Dunno why that stuck to my mind I didn't screencap that or anything.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, the Tansut thing doesn't make Erdrick, or any Dragon Quest rep, for that matter, any less likely. With the situation regarding Sora, DQ is still the "safest" bet, imo.

Also, Ovaltine Ovaltine ... I'm just gonna leave this here. Dunno if this is considered a cheat or not, but...

Seriously, girl, you need to stop promising to eat stuff if certain characters happen. I still remember a post of yours on this very thread regarding Bubsy and raw onions. Dunno why that stuck to my mind I didn't screencap that or anything.
That's a cheat, yeah. I'm not gonna back down, I AM NOT A WIMP most of the time

You tempt me, though :(

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I won't be active on the Geno discussion page unless something major happens or I find something that is a game changer. I think the Tansut stuff we discussed yesterday is really interesting but unfortunately we will not know in what order was it discovered. I guess it is important to look at track history for Tansut. If Cloud was the only thing he has leaked, then I find it suspicious. If he has a history with other games before Cloud DLC leak, then I can believe him a bit more.

We will have to see though. I really hope Geno gets his chance in the end.

Firox

Smash Master
I won't be active on the Geno discussion page unless something major happens or I find something that is a game changer. I think the Tansut stuff we discussed yesterday is really interesting but unfortunately we will not know in what order was it discovered. I guess it is important to look at track history for Tansut. If Cloud was the only thing he has leaked, then I find it suspicious. If he has a history with other games before Cloud DLC leak, then I can believe him a bit more.

We will have to see though. I really hope Geno gets his chance in the end.
Wait, did Tansut say anything about Geno? I may have missed it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, did Tansut say anything about Geno? I may have missed it.
Nope, just his same stuff about Erdrick. Tansut didn't leak anything beyond him (which we have yet to see is true) and Cloud, though, as well as being one of the many to state the Grinch leak is fake.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nope, just his same stuff about Erdrick. Tansut didn't leak anything beyond him (which we have yet to see is true) and Cloud, though, as well as being one of the many to state the Grinch leak is fake.
He also sent the Internet on the hunt for a leaked image, which turned out to not be true. Unless the leaker in question has a great track record like Shinobi's, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Firox

Smash Master
Ok, guessing that the grinch leak was fake wasn't much of a feat on his part. As for Cloud, I'm gonna call BS on that too. To my knowledge, NOBODY saw Cloud coming unless you want to recognize the few that put out claims within a couple hours before the reveal, and that could be due to broadcasting time delays or Nintendo employees going lax at the last minute because they knew the announcement was imminent anyways. I'm really starting to get the feeling that Erdrick was leakbait and a crapload of leakers fell for it.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Considering everything, I honestly don't know how many big contenders from Square Enix we would have against a Dragon Quest character. With Geno as a Spirit and Sora basically being deconfirmed, I honestly don't see a huge amount of characters that could fill that space. Maybe Crono or a character from their new IPs, but I don't know.

That's a cheat, yeah. I'm not gonna back down, I AM NOT A WIMP most of the time

You tempt me, though :(
I guess you could say it's a cheat sheet.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Considering everything, I honestly don't know how many big contenders from Square Enix we would have against a Dragon Quest character. With Geno as a Spirit and Sora basically being deconfirmed, I honestly don't see a huge amount of characters that could fill that space. Maybe Crono or a character from their new IPs, but I don't know.

I guess you could say it's a cheat sheet.
If DLC was within the development plan, it could be possible that Geno was within the game's plan since it's inception but SE's deal for negotiating Cloud back in the base roster required twisting arms. Even with spirit and icon presented, it doesn't make sense why that is the only unique SE content to Smash Ultimate. Nothing else provided is new from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom