• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Is ironic that with Erdrick's inclusion we finally gonna stop hearing about "Erdrick"

Also Banjo? I want to see my boy and bird in a new HD render so badly rn

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Also, Geno is pretty much the last major old Smash request. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, they would all be character now. If they could get in, Geno could very well get in.

Edit:
Found this funny.
I feel like Isaac has been suggested long enough to make it into that club too. He hasn't been requested maybe as long as those four, but I've been hearing his name seriously mentioned for what feels like 10-12 years I think.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like Isaac has been suggested long enough to make it into that club too. He hasn't been requested maybe as long as those four, but I've been hearing his name seriously mentioned for what feels like 10-12 years I think.
True, but my point still stands. With so many of these long requested characters coming in even still, why not cut off all of the loose ends?

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
True, but my point still stands. With so many of these long requested characters coming in even still, why not cut off all of the loose ends?
Totally agree. I think Geno and Isaac are inevitabilities at this point.

Then the next tier of highly requested characters will occupy that vacant niche and the circle of life continues haha

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just worry that we might ever get the chance again. I've been paranoid since August over the idea that all these characters that Geno has been in the same boat with will become playable but we won't get the same opportunity. It stings a bit more considering we are the only true heavily requested character left now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, the movie game borrowed a lot of things from Battle for Bikini Bottom(Mainly certain abilities and the same engine), so I am sure you would enjoy it if you liked the movie game.

Also, I am going to take this opportunity to shill some BfBB music. Seriously, the soundtrack is way too good.

I loved the Movie Game so I look very forward to trying out Battle for Bikini Bottom.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just worry that we might ever get the chance again. I've been paranoid since August over the idea that all these characters that Geno has been in the same boat with will become playable but we won't get the same opportunity. It stings a bit more considering we are the only true heavily requested character left now.
Well, we're the only one currently not in the game in some more final form. There's a lot relegated to assist trophies or Mii costumes like Krystal, Bomberman, Isaac, etc. There's also a couple of outliers like Lloyd Irving who were also relatively big in the Brawl era and who pop up in polls and do much better than people were expecting. We're the "only true heavily requested character left now" as much by virtue of those who didn't get in as those who did.

Though, we're certainly in the weirdest place of any the traditionally well performing characters and likely always will be even when we get Geno in haha.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Best case scenario: Banjo, Geno
Acceptable: Banjo, someone else
Likely: Banjo, Erdrick
Depressing: Erdrick, someone else
So bad it could be real: Erdrick, Steve
Unlikely: Two randoms

D

Deleted member

I just want one of the fighter pass characters to be Crash. That's all I want.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again everyone, Erdrick has a good chance of being leakbait. Given recent events at Resetera and the fact Shinobi didn't mention anything regarding an SE character (he's one of the very few heavily reliable leakers we can likely trust), there's a good possibility Square's been trolling leakers for close to a year now with potentially faked leaks to weed out leakers in general.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What if we get Erdrick, Geno and Banjo?

That would make everyone happy even if Geno would technically be outside the fighter pass. Let's face it. We don't need a stage or dlc spirits to make us happy. Just the character and maybe throw in one or two tracks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Again everyone, Erdrick has a good chance of being leakbait. Given recent events at Resetera and the fact Shinobi didn't mention anything regarding an SE character (he's one of the very few heavily reliable leakers we can likely trust), there's a good possibility Square's been trolling leakers for close to a year now with potentially faked leaks to weed out leakers in general.
Wasn't the same thing said about Incineroar? I realize that "brave" could apply to any number of heroic characters, but if we're just talking about Square-Enix characters, both Erdrick and Geno make a lot of sense.

Geno's been in demand for at least a decade by now (with even Sakurai acknowledging his popularity), while Erdrick has large amounts of historical significance both for Square-Enix and the RPG genre as a whole. (he's like the Cloud Strife of a franchise that has inspired countless RPGs out there, including Nintendo's own Earthbound/Mother series)

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
This is my hope as well. Thought I was the only one

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wasn't the same thing said about Incineroar? I realize that "brave" could apply to any number of heroic characters, but if we're just talking about Square-Enix characters, both Erdrick and Geno make a lot of sense.

Geno's been in demand for at least a decade by now (with even Sakurai acknowledging his popularity), while Erdrick has large amounts of historical significance both for Square-Enix and the RPG genre as a whole. (he's like the Cloud Strife of a franchise that has inspired countless RPGs out there, including Nintendo's own Earthbound/Mother series)
You're forgetting that Square Enix has a large history of leakbaiting people and doing so more often than most video game companies in general. KH 3 recently had this with the voice actor for Roxas and I think Vexen too saying they wouldn't be reprising their roles for the game, but they eventually were confirmed to be doing so. Plus, the fact the info for an additional Square rep dates back almost a year now. Do you really think Square would let knowledge that big be out for almost a whole year? Pretty much every single major leaker who has vouched for Erdrick these past few months have been notably discredited, so take any "leaks" that feature Erdrick with a big grain of salt.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What if we get Erdrick, Geno and Banjo?

That would make everyone happy even if Geno would technically be outside the fighter pass. Let's face it. We don't need a stage or dlc spirits to make us happy. Just the character and maybe throw in one or two tracks.
Geno as a bonus character or something would be the best possible outcome. If we just get Banjo, I'm PLENTY happy, though... but Geno would be the icing on the cake.

Firox

Smash Master
The Pokemon news was decent and hopefully there will be more Pokemon reveals for E3.

I particularly liked the legendary sword doggo (Zacian??), which had a strangely Asguardian aesthetic to it. If Thor had a pet, I imagine it might actually look like this legendary.
I could just imagine Thor showing it off to the team...."Hey, everyone. I'd like to introduce you to my new friend: "Dog"."

Geno Boost

Smash Master
alright so i finished modeling Smithy while i was at millitary and people have been asking me to do this since 2016 and these are the results:
i gotta clear up something as well the feet has only been in the sprite and not the official model
and the 2nd color is actually an unused sprites that he had in SMRPG and it was theorised that it is a "rusted" form and Gunyolk have this unused color sprites as well

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Best case scenario: Banjo, Geno
Acceptable: Banjo, someone else
Likely: Banjo, Erdrick
Depressing: Erdrick, someone else
So bad it could be real: Erdrick, Steve
Unlikely: Two randoms
You literally described my feelings to a tee. I mean, line for line exactly. With my luck of ALWAYS getting hosed on fantasy picks and my worst fears almost always proving to become reality, I wouldn't really be too surprised to see Erdrick and Steve, much to my horror. But with the huge amount of buzz surrounding Banjo as of late, I'm still hopeful of at least getting him in there.

MattX20

Smash Hero
One last thing people are forgetting regarding the whole Erdrick issue and why Geno and Sora are still potentially in the running: content provided beyond the character and stage. Given the fact Cloud only had the 2 songs, stage, and 2 spirits which was all the FF content Square ultimately allowed for Ultimate, does it even seem likely a spirit board and more than 2 music tracks will actually happen with this franchise if the composer is even more stingy than Nobuo and Square refuses to add anything beyond Erdrick's spirits?

Stario

Smash Rookie
One last thing people are forgetting regarding the whole Erdrick issue and why Geno and Sora are still potentially in the running: content provided beyond the character and stage. Given the fact Cloud only had the 2 songs, stage, and 2 spirits which was all the FF content Square ultimately allowed for Ultimate, does it even seem likely a spirit board and more than 2 music tracks will actually happen with this franchise if the composer is even more stingy than Nobuo and Square refuses to add anything beyond Erdrick's spirits?
There is no way Sora is still in the running. Disney alone is a massive pain to work with, not even considering Square Enix.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I could just imagine Thor showing it off to the team...."Hey, everyone. I'd like to introduce you to my new friend: "Dog"."
And now I officially have a name for my Zacian once I catch it. Thank you haha.

You wouldn't happen to watch the walking dead would you? The name "Dog" is also a reference to that show too.

Firox

Smash Master
And now I officially have a name for my Zacian once I catch it. Thank you haha.

You wouldn't happen to watch the walking dead would you? The name "Dog" is also a reference to that show too.
Yeah, I've watched the walking dead so I know what you mean. I just thought "Dog" would be especially fitting for Thor given his other friends "Rabbit" and "Tree". He's very creative with names. :p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You're forgetting that Square Enix has a large history of leakbaiting people and doing so more often than most video game companies in general. KH 3 recently had this with the voice actor for Roxas and I think Vexen too saying they wouldn't be reprising their roles for the game, but they eventually were confirmed to be doing so. Plus, the fact the info for an additional Square rep dates back almost a year now. Do you really think Square would let knowledge that big be out for almost a whole year? Pretty much every single major leaker who has vouched for Erdrick these past few months have been notably discredited, so take any "leaks" that feature Erdrick with a big grain of salt.
I don't keep up with Square Enix's leakbaiting traditions, so I'm unfamiliar with them (and if you've got examples I'd love to here them since I genuinely don't know as much). But I don't think the line, "Do you really think Square would let knowledge that big be out for almost a whole year?" means much of anything considering Square Enix has no control over what happens once the information leaks. They can't just put the genie back in the bottle after that, so if information fell through the cracks in August/September of last year, then yes, Square Enix would let that knowledge be out because they can't do a damn thing about it. Mario + Rabbids leaked a good 6 months before it was revealed for example. Sometimes information just ends up out in the wild for one reason or another and no matter how much you may crack down on the leaks and try to punish those responsible (If you can find those responsible that is), the information is already out in the wild and known to the public.

Also, I still wouldn't call Vergeben discredited. He's gotten things wrong, but I'd argue his real test of credibility actually depends most heavily on Erdrick. He's always played incredibly coy with the Minecraft comments, so that's not really going to be a validation in of itself, but Erdrick is the only character he's downright vouched for over the past few months. He went all in on a Nintendo Direct, which was a little bit more outside of his usual wheelhouse of stuff and he did take hits then, but his Smash situation is a little more murky and still in limbo. If Erdrick gets in, he gets downright validated again. Tansut also hasn't really been discredited in any way and seems to still inspire enough trust over at ResetERA for people to listen to him. He doesn't have much of a history at all, so that's working against him, but it helps his previous claim to fame was Square Enix related and he's claiming a Square Enix character. I'm not saying we should believe Erdrick is in 100% by any stretch of the imagination, but I am saying that two large people in the "leaking community" have staked their reputations on him and if they're ever going to be listened to again by the community in any serious manner, than Erdrick needs to happen for their sake. I don't know if we can be so quick to dismiss that no matter how much some people may want to (And I really get it with Verge, but I still don't think being wrong about the Ender Dragon boss and Square Enix's character being first invalidates all of the good will he earned leaking stuff pre-release, especially if they did move things around in DLC development).

Firox

Smash Master
I'm not saying we should believe Erdrick is in 100% by any stretch of the imagination, but I am saying that two large people in the "leaking community" have staked their reputations on him and if they're ever going to be listened to again by the community in any serious manner, than Erdrick needs to happen for their sake.
For this very reason, I hope he ends up not getting in. It would finally shut up those two leakers and we could get on with our lives. Otherwise, imagine the chaos they'll create once they start hinting towards the remaining DLC.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
For this very reason, I hope he ends up not getting in. It would finally shut up those two leakers and we could get on with our lives. Otherwise, imagine the chaos they'll create once they start hinting towards the remaining DLC.
I agree. Why should I care about vergeben's reputation? From what I hear he has a bias both for DQ and against Geno. As well as even if that werent the case, the guy just seems full of himself.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I agree. Why should I care about vergeben's reputation? From what I hear he has a bias both for DQ and against Geno. As well as even if that werent the case, the guy just seems full of himself.
You shouldn't care about Verge's reputation. But it's worth noting that Vergeben's claims and reputation are on the line with Erdrick. It's his first clear cut statement of who will be in since base game. This is the moment that determines how seriously he will be taken in the community for DLC going forward. You can hate him all you want, but that doesn't change the fact we should still be keeping on eye on him. It's always worth noting we don't really know how deep the biases run with regards to those characters since everyone has bias of some sort. I may be defending him a bit here, not because I like him or want him to be a part of the community going forward (I mostly don't care and think he is a bit pompous for certain), but I've also never thought he was so easily discarded from speculation and we need to see how this E3 goes to really determine his place. His Smash track record is still well in the positive and like any leaker with some solid hits and correct "leaks," we should pay a little attention to him and what he says until there's more to officially count him out.

ZelDan

Smash Master
From what I hear, isn't Erdrick the only other character verge was super confident in past Incineroar? He brought up up Steve, but was a bit more iffy on that IIRC, and seemed more confident in Minecraft content than Steve specifically.

Not saying verge is definitely right or that Erdrick is definitely in, but I wouldn't entirely ignore Verge at this point either. If he gets Erdrick wrong though, then that's a pretty big oof for him.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The same arguments being made for Erdrick as leakbait were the same when everyone claimed Incineroar was leakbait from being known for a good period of time.

It would be great if he was leakbait, but it is foolish to think this could be a likely possibility.

I'm just hoping for a miracle at this point and that Sakurai hasn't ignored our 15+ years of wishing Geno would be playable.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
There is no way Sora is still in the running. Disney alone is a massive pain to work with, not even considering Square Enix.
Sigh...

So I know I said I would be gone until E3 but I got a notification for something here and we had that Naruto or w/e guy from Resetera that everyone is hyped about that and I figured I would lurk a bit and I found this comment and no one has addressed it yet. I also have something hilarious to share.

First off, you are just wrong Stario: Disney is not a massive pain to work with in terms of video games. Yes, they HAVE to be worked with for Sora to happen, but most of that would be with Tetsuya Nomura. Basically, Disney is fine with Sora being in more things but they have to run it by Nomura first to stay in good faith with him and Square who make the Kingdom Hearts series. They are also less picky with video games because they focus everything on their films, unless of course they are funding they game, in which case you get the travesty that was Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Nintendo knows how to work with people to get what they want. Sakurai knows how to finagle characters and has rarely ever been denied (we don't know if the Geno and Snake situation for Smash 4 was due to time constraints or flat-out rejection) and you know what the best part of this is? Disney has no good ties to video games right now. When you think Disney and video games, you think how MvCI was trash and you think about Kingdom Hearts and that's it. Their track record isn't all that great...but Sora in Smash would improve that mindset. It would show to gamers that Disney isn't this even titan that barely ever makes games anymore and ruins the ones they touch. Also Nintendo is in control with this, so if at any point they feel like working with Disney is a bad idea, they can easily cut it off. Imagine if that got out that Nintendo TRIED to get Sora in Smash but Disney either overreached and tried to assume too much control or they simply had too many demands or w/e. That would REALLY reflect badly on them for a long while.

Also Sora isn't out of the running as far as rumors or deconfirms or anything, so don't share what Shinji said as it really doesn't mean as much as people are saying it does. If anything, if he ACTUALLY said Smash Ultimate by name (which we can only take the word of the Twitter user on that one) then that is what would hurt Sora's chances more than anything else, but that is only if he is under NDA and he doesn't have to know about Sora being in Smash at all.

Onto the funny part...

Holy moley, THIS is RICH!

The man, the myth, the basically FADED INTO LEGEND and we never talk about him anymore...LADIES AND GENTLEMAN GIVE IT UP FOR MR. VEEEEEERRRRRGEBEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN!!

He's totally piggybacking on someone else's leak and all the new info on Banjo to try and stay relevant! Considering how it's very likely that he has been piggybacking the entire time, this makes a lot of sense. The best part about all this is that he's STILL SUPER set on Erdrick, yet before he was saying Minecraft content and didn't speak a word about Banjo. I don't recall him saying Banjo isn't possible, I believe that was Hitagi.

If this wasn't enough to show you guys that he is desperate to stay relevant, I don't know what is!

I'm sure a good share of you watch PapaGeno's vids so you are all up-to-date with how so many things that are odd surrounding Banjo have come up in the past couple months, so it's not like Verge suddenly saying this is out of the blue. I just beg of you:

DO NOT, and I repeat...

DO NOT!

Give him credit for ANYTHING when Banjo drops at E3. He has no reason to be credible for anything unless Erdrick happens, so please don't go around saying 'Vergeben leaked Banjo!' when all the information around us points at Banjo. If anyone says that Verge leaked him, please correct them.

We don't need fake leakers or leakers who are no long relevant sticking around and muddling the mixture.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, to be fair, Polar has verge's back when it comes to banjo, so he probably some sources that are making him think he's in, so I don't know if it's entirely about piggybacking:

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1136710063349854208
https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1136713262345515008

Why verge waited as long as he did to share his thoughts on banjo I don't know. Maybe his sources are slower than Shinobi's? Or if he has the same sources maybe he's isn't as close to them as Shinobi is?

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've watched the walking dead so I know what you mean. I just thought "Dog" would be especially fitting for Thor given his other friends "Rabbit" and "Tree". He's very creative with names. :p

Haha I totally forgot about those nicknames! Dog is pretty fitting in that context - it's definitely Thor's low-key style of casual disrespect, but I also love it because it's such a pragmatic name. I'd actually consider naming a dog "Dog" as crazy as that sounds. It's endearingly uncreative!

Firox

Smash Master
lol Just watch. All this craziness over Erdrick and Banjo, then come E3 and we end getting something totally random like Shantae or Specter Knight. Could you imagine how many jaws would drop? If we don't stop all these "leakers" from running their mouths, Papa Sakurai might just go that direction just to watch us squirm.

(Disclaimer: the two named characters above are merely examples and I do not propose any evidence one way or another of their possible inclusion.)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's weird how everyone is so laser focused on Vergeben's claim to Banjo but not Erdrick. Is it because everyone and their mom is saying Banjo at this point?

ZelDan

Smash Master
lol Just watch. All this craziness over Erdrick and Banjo, then come E3 and we end getting something totally random like Shantae or Specter Knight. Could you imagine how many jaws would drop? If we don't stop all these "leakers" from running their mouths, Papa Sakurai might just go that direction just to watch us squirm.

(Disclaimer: the two named characters above are merely examples and I do not propose any evidence one way or another of their possible inclusion.)
As someone who is indifferent to Erdrick/Dragon Quest and is part of the .05% of people on Smashboards who have no personal interest or connection to the Banjo franchise, I wouldn't be against getting other characters shown at E3 at all (though if Specter Knight got playable status over Shovel Knight that'd make no sense whatsoever >_>)

Firox

Smash Master
As someone who is indifferent to Erdrick/Dragon Quest and is part of the .05% of people on Smashboards who have no personal interest or connection to the Banjo franchise, I wouldn't be against getting other characters shown at E3 at all (though if Specter Knight got playable status over Shovel Knight that'd make no sense whatsoever >_>)
That's my point. Those characters would be totally out of left field. And yeah, Specter before Shovel wouldn't make much sense, but geez, I wouldn't mind getting Specter instead. He'd be a speedy middle weight with some sweet after-image attacks. And that scythe is way cooler than a shovel to me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's weird how everyone is so laser focused on Vergeben's claim to Banjo but not Erdrick. Is it because everyone and their mom is saying Banjo at this point?
I'm laser-focused on Shinobi's claim for Banjo, tbh. Verge is a point that I'm looking at, but not because I believe in him. It's because I laugh at the fact that he was so adamant about Minecraft content, then someone else says Banjo is in and all of a sudden, he's like, "O-OH WELL I'M 99% SURE! THERE'S STILL THAT 1%, THOUGH, THEREFORE NO ONE CAN CRITICIZE ME."

Sabi having her reasons for believing Verge make me iffy, honestly. After all, she believed in Xenother, too, and we all know how Xenother ended up, even moreso if his 'Banjo is NOT IN' claim is destroyed come E3.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sabi having her reasons for believing Verge make me iffy, honestly. After all, she believed in Xenother, too, and we all know how Xenother ended up, even moreso if his 'Banjo is NOT IN' claim is destroyed come E3.
Sabi never believed Xenother was correct; she just considered him trustworthy because she knew he was telling the truth about what he heard.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sabi never believed Xenother was correct; she just considered him trustworthy because she knew he was telling the truth about what he heard.
Yes, but that's also what she's saying about Verge. She isn't saying Verge is definitely correct, nor has she said Xenother is definitely correct. She's saying she has her reasons to believe in him, much as she did with Xenother and his 'source'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom