• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It's normal for people to have differing opinions.
Personal tastes, ideally, shouldn't override opinion, because that creates too much bias in the views (tho obviously it'll always happen a bit). Tastes should be something we can be honest about and know for ourselves and share with others, while coming to the truth of things can be its own pursuit.

It might be weird to talk about that, I do think it's important. None of us can know better until we're faced with different ways of thinking, because we just think how we do, when there's always more to things than we know. I'm glad that you're being honest about your tastes here and also your related opinion.

Since you dont like silent protagonists, does that mean you dont like Crono as well? There isn't much difference. And a lot of games that dont even have much story would technically count as well, so characters from platformers, like the belmonts, and much more characters, would have little personality as well. In all those cases it comes down to either the players using their imagination along with what's given, or official art and lore, etc, to base some personality. Or to just like them as game characters, quasi 'blank slates' that are played for the experience, not the personality. That'd be the case for a lot of games, especially older ones.

It's not a bad topic, really. I dont think it matters too much for smash whether a character has a lot more personality than another, especially with the ones we already have in there, but I do think it can be neat.
Do you mean as a potential Smash newcomer or as a character in and of himself? I think Crono is a more interesting protagonist to me than Erdrick if only because the story of Chrono Trigger is more unique. They are very similar in terms of being silent protagonists. I think I would prefer Crono over Erdrick in Smash if only due to the fact that he uses a katana which hasn't really been represented yet in a playable character. But even then I still wouldn't be as interested in Crono as I would other characters that aren't traditional JRPG sword wielding protagonists. I don't think I'm alone in this because even Sakurai has straight up stated that he wanted to get away from the standard sword wielding protagonist. And I guess that's my overall issue with characters like Erdrick and Crono at this point and time in relation to smash. There are so many cool unique SE characters with more of a personality like Geno and even Slime that aren't your standard JRPG protagonist that to pick Erdrick as the new SE rep feels like a mistake on top of the fact that he's not a very wanted/recognizable character internationally. At this point I am just hoping for more Banjo and Genos than Erdrick and Cronos.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Do you mean as a potential Smash newcomer or as a character in and of himself? I think Crono is a more interesting protagonist to me than Erdrick if only because the story of Chrono Trigger is more unique. They are very similar in terms of being silent protagonists. I think I would prefer Crono over Erdrick in Smash if only due to the fact that he uses a katana which hasn't really been represented yet in a playable character. But even then I still wouldn't be as interested in Crono as I would other characters that aren't traditional JRPG sword wielding protagonists. I don't think I'm alone in this because even Sakurai has straight up stated that he wanted to get away from the standard sword wielding protagonist. And I guess that's my overall issue with characters like Erdrick and Crono at this point and time in relation to smash. There are so many cool unique SE characters with more of a personality like Geno and even Slime that aren't your standard JRPG protagonist that to pick Erdrick as the new SE rep feels like a mistake on top of the fact that he's not a very wanted/recognizable character internationally. At this point I am just hoping for more Banjo and Genos than Erdrick and Cronos.
Cool. Well, I actually think that sakurai will probably not make erdrick only use a sword. One reason being what he said about swords. Sakurai played DQ3 and it's his favorite in the franchise, so i know that he at least would have mulled on how to make the character unique and maybe using multiple weapons since that's true to the game.

It could be only as simple as Ness and Lucas, where they have other weapons for a few attacks, but my guess is that sakurai would come up with something much more interesting. I'm not banking on it or anything, but I think it can still easily happen enough.

There's probably a bit more that i could say, but I'll end it there. There's also technically nothing stopping us from talking about this kind of stuff in the erdrick or SE thread. But good enough for now.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I was only referring to the fact we are incredibly unlikely to get additional Assist Trophies in the last post to be fair, though I know this is likely a commentary leveled at me for most of my posts. I suppose I tend to be entirely unfazed by reality when I'm working with fantasy because I personally can never fully remove it from my mind and therefore it has never really bothered me as an individual, so that may be an entirely fair criticism. I mean, I'm certainly capable of being engrossed in a fantasy that I have complete control over (I.E. playing a specific video game for hours, spending time in a movie, even just imagining a specific life when I'm in a new place), but I do think some of that goes out the window when you're no longer by yourself. Some people are just more attuned to reality than fantasy (This is absolutely not a criticism in any way, shape, or form or meant to imply anything about Geno either, this is a separate commentary at this point to be abundantly clear) and they will bring that reality into every scenario with them. I enjoy interacting with other people and talking about the things I love, but I'm undeniably always playing more of a "straight man" role to the table which has resulted from me too often having to pull people back down to earth from their craziest ideas (much of it very well earned, some of my friends in real life tend not to really think things through).

The way I discuss Smash is very much a reflection of that. I don't like the tribalism that can come with enjoying certain content, so I tend to be pretty critical of all support threads these days just because I don't think that's healthy for anyone and think we could do better as a community. I don't like putting down someone to get ahead or an unwillingness to see how others may be more redeeming in un-shown ways, hence a lot of my tendency to be much more of a defender of Erdrick in this thread. I also joined in a much less pleasant time to be around for Smash fan speculation during the late stages of Smash 4 and that has influenced a lot of how I conduct myself on SmashBoards these days. Watching things like the Ridley thread get locked, the ESRB leak come roaring out to destroy more hopes and dreams than Incineroar ever dreamed of, and the absolute consistent insistence that certain characters were getting in (Ridley's shadow means he's playable, they have the Kremlings in Smash Run so King K. Rool is in, etc.) really helped convince me that I needed to be more grounded and that we as a community tend to do better when we're grounded. Things like Ashley, Isaac, and Shadow only further confirmed that stance on things with Ultimate.

You probably didn't need all that, but I thought it was as good a time as any to maybe address some of the problems people might have with how I conduct my posts in this thread. I will always have a tendency to separate my support and my speculation by quite a wide margin. I really do love Geno, I think he's a great character for Smash much like Sakurai and I know he's one that fans have wanted for years. The fact he's gotten so close really feels like he should happen sooner rather than later and I desperately want him to be included in Ultimate because I want Ultimate to manage to pull it all off. I actually quite desperately hope we see more fighters beyond the Fighter's Pass and that they do have multiple seasons of content since I doubt we'll ever see the likes of it again in Smash. But on a personal level, I don't think he's in the Fighter's Pass (third party Spirits have always been a real sticking point for me and they've always felt so much more final than first party and I can get into that if people wish) and I'm extremely skeptical of additional DLC given Sakurai's recent comments on the matter, so I'm also not super keen on Geno's chances right now. I've never said he's impossible or definitively not coming, I could never substantiate either of those claims anyway, but I'll also say I've never believed that either.

I just don't think really much has changed since Joker's reveal in December for Geno, which is just kind of a complete coin toss for him to be in DLC. The biggest things have been the DLC Spirit Boards which give me pause for a lot of characters that I would have otherwise thought had good chances, and Sakurai's book which has given me pause on future DLC beyond the Fighter's Pass. Trust me when I say this, I will be absolutely hype and there with the thread when something more tangibly positive comes our way. But I want that hype to be real and earned when it does.
Thank you for your honest and well written post. I wanted to start by apologizing if I came off too sharply before. In retrospect, it really wasn't that big a deal and I wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to criticize your posts in general. You have a good point that it's healthy to have a "straight man" at the table to bring people down to earth when ideas take off too far in one direction. To be truthful myself, I'm right there with you in that regard. In real life I'm incredibly pragmatic to the point that many would call me a hard core cynic just for being painfully honest. Of all the fan characters to have still not made it in Smash, I really feel Geno is the most deserving one left. He has so much support and even Sakurai/Nintendo have acknowledged him to some degree, but it's so disheartening to have watched him fall short time and time again. I had to sit back and watch every one of my favorites get thrown to the wayside: Scizor, Knuckles, Shadow, Zero and then even Isaac got robbed despite seeming so incredibly close. The only three characters left in existence that I'm especially hyped for would be Geno, Banjo and Sephiroth so it would be amazing to get at least one of them with the DLC we have left. Not to say that I wouldn't be pleasantly surprised by any other characters, but Smash is my favorite game of all. I've played it for twenty years now and having Geno really would make this iteration the ultimate one. It's my own personal bias, so until I see concrete evidence of his deconfirmation, I'll defend my hope with all the optimism I can muster.

That said, I totally agree with your points. As of now, Geno can't be proven or disproven, so we'll just have to wait and see. My only desire for this thread is that, in addition to the realism and skeptism, we also balance with a healthy dose of whimsy and imagination. When others call it futile to speculate the moveset of a character we don't even know will get in, I call it breathing life into them. When others say the puppet can't be a real boy, I say give the fairy godmother a chance. Again, sincerest thanks for your post and I wish you all the best come E3.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
No offense to anyone, but I really hope that erdrick is not confirmed. He has been speculated for quite some time. If Someone else did show up instead it would definitely help reaffirm that the dlc roster is completely up in the air in terms of final picks.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m not 100% cool with the speculated rosters I’ve seen. At least this way it leaves the door open to anyone.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No offense to anyone, but I really hope that erdrick is not confirmed. He has been speculated for quite some time. If Someone else did show up instead it would definitely help reaffirm that the dlc roster is completely up in the air in terms of final picks.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m not 100% cool with the speculated rosters I’ve seen. At least this way it leaves the door open to anyone.
It'll be what it'll be. It was open, and then sakurai (or nintendo) decided which characters to put in ;)
Not long now before e3. if you can hold out until then and stay open, it should be nice to see all the game news and all.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just want one of my boys to make it. Just one. If Geno makes it, I'll be extremely happy. If Banjo makes it, I'll lose my mind. If they both make it, I think I'll die. If neither make it, then... blech. At least things are looking really good for Banjo now, so here's hoping, because I have my expectations set to 'nonexistent' for Geno beyond the Mii costume.

I don't mind Erdrick myself. He has some neat stuff he could bring to the table, and it'd be fun seeing a Toriyama character in Smash. It's as close as we'll get to Goku rofl. I just wish we could get Erdrick AND Geno, and that's what makes him so hard to swallow for me. I also can't help but be a little extra sad because Erdrick already has so much — relevance, an ongoing series, a legacy, the hearts of the entirety of Japan — and may get Smash to top it off... while Geno is left with nothing but a bootleg version of himseif via Mii costume and a PNG. Nintendo and Square doesn't love him like we do. He has nothing outside of Smash anymore. Nothing.

I just want him to have something, too, even if it has to be through not-so-legal means via a large fan project. God almighty, I will support the hell out of any that may spring up one day, Nintendo and Square's whining about their properties be damned. If we got something huge that had Nintendo and Square scrambling to C&D, I'd be so damn smug and tickled.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just want one of my boys to make it. Just one. If Geno makes it, I'll be extremely happy. If Banjo makes it, I'll lose my mind. If they both make it, I think I'll die. If neither make it, then... blech. At least things are looking really good for Banjo now, so here's hoping, because I have my expectations set to 'nonexistent' for Geno beyond the Mii costume.

I don't mind Erdrick myself. He has some neat stuff he could bring to the table, and it'd be fun seeing a Toriyama character in Smash. It's as close as we'll get to Goku rofl. I just wish we could get Erdrick AND Geno, and that's what makes him so hard to swallow for me. I also can't help but be a little extra sad because Erdrick already has so much — relevance, an ongoing series, a legacy, the hearts of the entirety of Japan — and may get Smash to top it off... while Geno is left with nothing but a bootleg version of himseif via Mii costume and a PNG.

I just want him to have something, too, even if it has to be through not-so-legal means via a large fan project. God almighty, I will support the hell out of any that may spring up one day, Nintendo and Square's whining about their properties be damned.
Lots of people are thinking banjo is likely right now. So maybe you'll get one of them. I'm still on the fence, but anything is possible. I'm so curious about the games too.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Thank you for your honest and well written post. I wanted to start by apologizing if I came off too sharply before. In retrospect, it really wasn't that big a deal and I wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to criticize your posts in general. You have a good point that it's healthy to have a "straight man" at the table to bring people down to earth when ideas take off too far in one direction. To be truthful myself, I'm right there with you in that regard. In real life I'm incredibly pragmatic to the point that many would call me a hard core cynic just for being painfully honest. Of all the fan characters to have still not made it in Smash, I really feel Geno is the most deserving one left. He has so much support and even Sakurai/Nintendo have acknowledged him to some degree, but it's so disheartening to have watched him fall short time and time again. I had to sit back and watch every one of my favorites get thrown to the wayside: Scizor, Knuckles, Shadow, Zero and then even Isaac got robbed despite seeming so incredibly close. The only three characters left in existence that I'm especially hyped for would be Geno, Banjo and Sephiroth so it would be amazing to get at least one of them with the DLC we have left. Not to say that I wouldn't be pleasantly surprised by any other characters, but Smash is my favorite game of all. I've played it for twenty years now and having Geno really would make this iteration the ultimate one. It's my own personal bias, so until I see concrete evidence of his deconfirmation, I'll defend my hope with all the optimism I can muster.

That said, I totally agree with your points. As of now, Geno can't be proven or disproven, so we'll just have to wait and see. My only desire for this thread is that, in addition to the realism and skeptism, we also balance with a healthy dose of whimsy and imagination. When others call it futile to speculate the moveset of a character we don't even know will get in, I call it breathing life into them. When others say the puppet can't be a real boy, I say give the fairy godmother a chance. Again, sincerest thanks for your post and I wish you all the best come E3.
I want to give you the same thanks in reply for your own well worded post. I actually didn't have much of a problem with your first post. I missed your initial post talking about the pipe dream part and only saw the second with regards to Assist Trophies, so I also thought I may have come off harsher than intended with my response. But moreover, I just felt your comment was actually a great time to maybe address the room here about how I go about things. I enjoy this community and a lot of the people in it a great deal even if I know my words are not the most supported or can have a tendency to annoy people at times, which is why I've continued to stay a part of it in addition to my desire for Geno.

I definitely agree about speculating move sets as a wonderful thing and similarly talking about a Super Mario RPG 2 or the original game are great. We've just circled through a lot of that content in the past year, so I'm a little less interested in those conversations and end up talking about his chances since I also see Geno as a piece of a greater speculation puzzle that we can never quite solve. His specific chances may not have changed a whole lot, but the surrounding community and other characters have.

One thing I'd also like to admit is that Ultimate (and Smash 4 DLC actually) pulled off a lot of very big stuff for me in terms of Smash so I've maybe been able to really take extra steps back from speculation in terms of investment because I almost feel greedy continuing to make such a big deal out of characters. I came out of Smash 4 perhaps as equally salty as many people here after the November Direct because of the place I was in when that ESRB roster was confirmed and I leveled far too many ridiculous arguments at that final lineup in that anger. I despised Duck Hunt as much as a great many people I'm sure despised Piranha Plant. Cutting Wolf, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers felt tone deaf to me. I had become a part of the community with the Lucina/Robin double reveal and had fallen in love with speculation and thus by extension, King K. Rool and Ridley. Mewtwo I had wanted ever since he went missing post Melee (I ****ing loved Pokemon when I was younger, especially Gen 1 and my old ass copy of Blue). All of that had made Smash 4 such a sour ending, but I moved on to playing the 3DS version and ended up loving so much about it, and oddly enough Duck Hunt became a personal favorite newcomer of mine.

Then the Wii U Direct happened and I got Mewtwo back, and I was so ecstatic again. Lucas felt like the right call to bring back, as did Roy (I'm not huge on them personally, but I wanted all veterans always). Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were all really cool to see even if they still weren't who I'd been hoping for. I got really annoyed at Corrin and stayed that way until one of my best friends began to main him and I realized how cool his moveset was and how misplaced my anger was at him. I looked at Smash 4 + DLC as the impossible standard that we would never achieve again. It was the best we could do and there had to be a **** ton of cuts around the corner or a very simple enhanced port to the Switch. I went back and played Brawl for those missing characters like Snake and Wolf. I missed Fountain of Dreams dearly as well... And then Ultimate blew everything away. My dream of all veterans was achieved and I got Ridley in the same Direct. Then I got one of my personal dream picks in Castlevania representation and King K. Rool in the same Direct. It was such a massively satisfying sequence of events that I just have had trouble empathizing with some of the frustration in the community because even in Ultimate's worst moments, it has felt so much better than Smash 4 and achieved some astonishing things that we thought were impossible or absolute pipe dreams as you mentioned.

That's why I really want to see as many characters make it in as possible. I thought Joker was a great first DLC and I hope we see more stuff as great as him down the line. Geno is absolutely a character I would consider as great personally (Though, status in the gaming world is where I tend to diverge from the community I know). I mean, just once, seeing Geno and Banjo Kazooie come back in a game with a Nintendo focused crossover with Street Fighter, Castlevania, Mega Man, Sonic, Persona, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid, Pac-Man, and Final Fantasy? That's actually absurd to even consider! And I hope it happens alongside Smash further defining the Japanese gaming scene with series like Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, etc. Smash is definitely my favorite game series of all time and I want to see how far it can soar before it's forced to change by necessity and practicality. Part of that is including both fan favorites and major series, while also discovering the little unknowns along the way. I really hope we get a second Fighter's Pass that hones in on all the favorites that initially missed the boat like Isaac and Waluigi (Maybe Geno if he does end up not coming with the Fighter's Pass). I'm not super hopeful, but that's absolutely my ideal situation.

And if it's any consolation, I think you'll likely be happy with at least one DLC character by this time next week if the whispers on the wind speak the truth. That's certainly where I've recently been investing my hype haha.

Sorry for the wall of text everyone, they are my trademark it seems after all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want to give you the same thanks in reply for your own well worded post. I actually didn't have much of a problem with your first post. I missed your initial post talking about the pipe dream part and only saw the second with regards to Assist Trophies, so I also thought I may have come off harsher than intended with my response. But moreover, I just felt your comment was actually a great time to maybe address the room here about how I go about things. I enjoy this community and a lot of the people in it a great deal even if I know my words are not the most supported or can have a tendency to annoy people at times, which is why I've continued to stay a part of it in addition to my desire for Geno.

I definitely agree about speculating move sets as a wonderful thing and similarly talking about a Super Mario RPG 2 or the original game are great. We've just circled through a lot of that content in the past year, so I'm a little less interested in those conversations and end up talking about his chances since I also see Geno as a piece of a greater speculation puzzle that we can never quite solve. His specific chances may not have changed a whole lot, but the surrounding community and other characters have.

One thing I'd also like to admit is that Ultimate (and Smash 4 DLC actually) pulled off a lot of very big stuff for me in terms of Smash so I've maybe been able to really take extra steps back from speculation in terms of investment because I almost feel greedy continuing to make such a big deal out of characters. I came out of Smash 4 perhaps as equally salty as many people here after the November Direct because of the place I was in when that ESRB roster was confirmed and I leveled far too many ridiculous arguments at that final lineup in that anger. I despised Duck Hunt as much as a great many people I'm sure despised Piranha Plant. Cutting Wolf, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers felt tone deaf to me. I had become a part of the community with the Lucina/Robin double reveal and had fallen in love with speculation and thus by extension, King K. Rool and Ridley. Mewtwo I had wanted ever since he went missing post Melee (I ****ing loved Pokemon when I was younger, especially Gen 1 and my old *** copy of Blue). All of that had made Smash 4 such a sour ending, but I moved on to playing the 3DS version and ended up loving so much about it, and oddly enough Duck Hunt became a personal favorite newcomer of mine.

Then the Wii U Direct happened and I got Mewtwo back, and I was so ecstatic again. Lucas felt like the right call to bring back, as did Roy (I'm not huge on them personally, but I wanted all veterans always). Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were all really cool to see even if they still weren't who I'd been hoping for. I got really annoyed at Corrin and stayed that way until one of my best friends began to main him and I realized how cool his moveset was and how misplaced my anger was at him. I looked at Smash 4 + DLC as the impossible standard that we would never achieve again. It was the best we could do and there had to be a **** ton of cuts around the corner or a very simple enhanced port to the Switch. I went back and played Brawl for those missing characters like Snake and Wolf. I missed Fountain of Dreams dearly as well... And then Ultimate blew everything away. My dream of all veterans was achieved and I got Ridley in the same Direct. Then I got one of my personal dream picks in Castlevania representation and King K. Rool in the same Direct. It was such a massively satisfying sequence of events that I just have had trouble empathizing with some of the frustration in the community because even in Ultimate's worst moments, it has felt so much better than Smash 4 and achieved some astonishing things that we thought were impossible or absolute pipe dreams as you mentioned.

That's why I really want to see as many characters make it in as possible. I thought Joker was a great first DLC and I hope we see more stuff as great as him down the line. Geno is absolutely a character I would consider as great personally (Though, status in the gaming world is where I tend to diverge from the community I know). I mean, just once, seeing Geno and Banjo Kazooie come back in a game with a Nintendo focused crossover with Street Fighter, Castlevania, Mega Man, Sonic, Persona, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid, Pac-Man, and Final Fantasy? That's actually absurd to even consider! And I hope it happens alongside Smash further defining the Japanese gaming scene with series like Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, etc. Smash is definitely my favorite game series of all time and I want to see how far it can soar before it's forced to change by necessity and practicality. Part of that is including both fan favorites and major series, while also discovering the little unknowns along the way. I really hope we get a second Fighter's Pass that hones in on all the favorites that initially missed the boat like Isaac and Waluigi (Maybe Geno if he does end up not coming with the Fighter's Pass). I'm not super hopeful, but that's absolutely my ideal situation.

And if it's any consolation, I think you'll likely be happy with at least one DLC character by this time next week if the whispers on the wind speak the truth. That's certainly where I've recently been investing my hype haha.

Sorry for the wall of text everyone, they are my trademark it seems after all.
They really are XD I didn't get at first why you made your points so long, but i've gotten used to seeing a long post of text in the geno thread here and there, courtesy of eric the gamerman. (and are nice to see)
I wouldn't have much to say about them most of the time, but I do skim them at least to see what your next adventure is :p

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Cool. Well, I actually think that sakurai will probably not make erdrick only use a sword. One reason being what he said about swords. Sakurai played DQ3 and it's his favorite in the franchise, so i know that he at least would have mulled on how to make the character unique and maybe using multiple weapons since that's true to the game.

It could be only as simple as Ness and Lucas, where they have other weapons for a few attacks, but my guess is that sakurai would come up with something much more interesting. I'm not banking on it or anything, but I think it can still easily happen enough.

There's probably a bit more that i could say, but I'll end it there. There's also technically nothing stopping us from talking about this kind of stuff in the erdrick or SE thread. But good enough for now.
Maybe, that at least wouldn't make him a straight up swordie. Though I just question in the end if he's just not going to feel very original. From the fan concepts I've seen he would basically end up being another Link or Robin or a hybrid of the two. Which would just be kind of eh for me.

I just am not interested in going to the Erdrick thread. I would prefer to stay here and talk about Geno if that is ok with you.

Could you link that Brave theory slideshow? I'd like to see that
It's in the Ninten thread. @The Anigriffin mentioned that she preferred it not being shared elsewhere so I want to respect her wishes.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe, that at least wouldn't make him a straight up swordie. Though I just question in the end if he's just not going to feel very original. From the fan concepts I've seen he would basically end up being another Link or Robin or a hybrid of the two. Which would just be kind of eh for me.

I just am not interested in going to the Erdrick thread. I would prefer to stay here and talk about Geno if that is ok with you.

It's in the Ninten thread. @The Anigriffin mentioned that she preferred it not being shared elsewhere so I want to respect her wishes.
I don't think they'll be like link and robin too much. There might be a few things that touch on something similar, but for the most part i'd expect something more original, one way or another. Even if it woulnd't end up different i'll still love having them, but I still think they'd be different enough and interesting.

Well, hope you enjoy e3 in anyway. I might be in a little less often on boards until it all comes, i feel like taking it easy on the online info, and go into it as fresh as i can. Not saying i wont be curious about some stuff, but for the most part yeah,.. ;p

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Oh, by the way guys...
It will pretty cool to see such an iconic SMRPG related video reanimated. Kirbopher seems to be looking forward to it at least.
oh boy i didnt know about this i was too late and i dont even have twitter... i wish i animated a scene if possible these 2 animation is the only ones that might fit at the beginning and at the end of the video and i made them years ago

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Less than a week to go. The wait is almost over
I don't know, I am already pretty hype from today alone. There was the Pokemon news, my most defining childhood game is getting a remaster(Which has caused me to be in a constant state of hype since finding out) and later today there will be a trailer for a character I made a support thread for. It has certainly set my expectations for E3.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, the Pokemon news was hype as hell. I wasn't that excited until today, and now, my hype is through the roof. This wasn't even my most anticipated part of E3, and it demolished my lower expectations and buttered me up with some fun to look forward to.

This is going to be a hell of an E3, with or without Geno involved.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the Pokemon news was hype as hell. I wasn't that excited until today, and now, my hype is through the roof. This wasn't even my most anticipated part of E3, and it demolished my lower expectations and buttered me up with some fun to look forward to.

This is going to be a hell of an E3, with or without Geno involved.
The Battle for Bikini Bottom remake destroyed all the Pokemon news

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The Battle for Bikini Bottom remake destroyed all the Pokemon news
I'll be honest, I've NEVER played the original. I've heard it was acclaimed as a surprisingly great game, though, so it's very nice to see it remade. May have to buy that when it's out!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm too much of a 30 year old Boomer to have played Battle for Bikini Bottom but doesn't this game have a pretty good speed running community?

Pokemon news was decent. I'm crushed to find out they will be using a Rotom phone instead of a Porygon phone like they showed off during the Pokemon Masters teaser.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm too much of a 30 year old Boomer to have played Battle for Bikini Bottom but doesn't this game have a pretty good speed running community?
Yeah, it's a great speed running game. Something to do with how it was programmed, allowing for a lot of crazy stuff. This remake will bring much more attention to this community, as BFTBB is still pretty niche speed running wise.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Pokemon news was certainly something.

As someone who doesn't instantly get a hard-on after hearing the term "open world", I guess I'm still a bit iffy on that and how well game Freak will handle it. I do like the weather pattern stuff though and how it changes what pokemon are available in an area (but I'm also somebody that doesn't care about catching 'em all, so...)

I'm guessing dynamaxing will be just as meh as past "mega' gimmicks were. Largely neutral on that (pun wasn't actually intended at first >_>)

Do like that the only thing they carried over from the Let's Go games is that pokemon will be visible on the field. I'm all for less random battles.

Overall interested in Sword/Shield so far.

EDIT: Oh yeah and getting a Spongebob remaster is neat to hear. might actually get it for nolstalgia's sake.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Pokemon was definitely much more surprising in how hype I was for the game. Pokemon has desperately needed more changes for years and I think Sword/Shield are achieving some of that with the open world which, if there was ever an appropriate time for a huge open world, than it's Pokemon and the damn near thousand different ones we have. The route system has run its course and has needed to go for a while, so I'm very excited by the way the game looks. The new special huge Pokemon mechanic looks very meh though and I wish they had just focused more on the core Pokemon experience than the gimmick because everything else looks really entertaining and well done in the games. I had otherwise not been so interested in the game, but this Direct definitely got me interested in these games. Plus, they put Sif's grey wold in as a legendary and that's dope.

Can't say I care about Spongebob. I know it's beloved and people are very happy to see it return, which is great. But the damn near constant quoting of the series in my public school life years ago officially removed any reason I would ever have to care or even tolerate the game as a Spongebob property. Where's my Simpsons Hit and Run remake if we're remaking strangely great licensed IPs?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But the damn near constant quoting of the series in my public school life years ago officially removed any reason I would ever have to care or even tolerate the game as a Spongebob property.
You know, it's funny, I know a video that kinda cited this exact reasoning as why people didn't give the game a chance despite it's quality. Not the quoting bit specifically, but just the over saturation and how good licensed games were a dime a dozen back then. I would still recommend it though, especially for anyone who likes platforming collectathons.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
These threads move quickly, so this may have already been discussed, but did you guys see the person who leaked the names of the Pokemon legendaries along with some Smash info?

If this is true, Geno's chances are unfortunately lower...but the second part of the character leak is certainly unexpected.
However, it's always possible that legitimate leaks are mixed in with false info. But I have a feeling this one is true.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
These threads move quickly, so this may have already been discussed, but did you guys see the person who leaked the names of the Pokemon legendaries along with some Smash info?

If this is true, Geno's chances are unfortunately lower...but the second part of the character leak is certainly unexpected.
However, it's always possible that legitimate leaks are mixed in with false info. But I have a feeling this one is true.
Didn't that one state Banjo and Sora? I kinda doubt it's true, at least the Sora part, but... Sora would actually be a good sign for Geno, call me crazy.

He's technically not even a Square rep. They do need to negotiate for him with SE, yes, but he's more a Disney rep than anything. Disney would have the biggest say, IIRC, whether or not Sora can be included. For all we know, he'd come with KH-related Mii outfits and such, too... and I'd see Geno's outfit coming with Sora as less of a possibility than coming with Erdrick. On top of that, Sora is one of the two characters the Square list loudly shot down alongside (guess who?) Geno. If 'definitely not in' Sora makes it, it'll make our 'leak bait' Geno seem that much more likely. I could see both Sora and Geno making it far easier than both Erdrick and Geno.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I have been in the Banjo Thread most of today. On mobile and can't post much but we found out the 'leaker' edited their post. It originally said two wolves with swords.
Also, Sabi/PolarPanda gave those names out late midnight so a lot of people knew.
So, sadly, that leak has lost all viable credibility. Nothing to see here.

EDIT: If you are talking about the Erdrick and Doomguy at E3 (no Banjo) leak. If not, which one?

Last edited:

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Didn't that one state Banjo and Sora? I kinda doubt it's true, at least the Sora part, but... Sora would actually be a good sign for Geno, call me crazy.

He's technically not even a Square rep. They do need to negotiate for him with SE, yes, but he's more a Disney rep than anything. Disney would have the biggest say, IIRC, whether or not Sora can be included. For all we know, he'd come with KH-related Mii outfits and such, too... and I'd see Geno's outfit coming with Sora as less of a possibility than coming with Erdrick. On top of that, Sora is one of the two characters the Square list loudly shot down alongside (guess who?) Geno. If 'definitely not in' Sora makes it, it'll make our 'leak bait' Geno seem that much more likely. I could see both Sora and Geno making it far easier than both Erdrick and Geno.
No, the leak included Erdrick and Doomguy. I would ideally want Geno and Banjo instead, but hey. I don't think Doomguy is a bad choice. And Nintendo already has the rights for Geno as a sticker, right? But maybe that means that the negotiations they did for him were probably during the Cloud sessions, and they probably only had the license to treat him as a Sticker. I don't know if that's how that works.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

The one that said No Banjo?

Sabi debunked it, as well as someone on GameFaqs; the Pokemon info had been floating around at least 10 hours before it, with the leak being posted only about 2 hours before the Direct (I think, not sure, but 2 hours is the earliest).

Saying "Banjo is not" also makes it feel like the leak that claimed the September Direct date, Isabelle, and Dante, while claiming characters like Geno weren't in; while they were right about Geno and Isabelle, they were wrong about Dante + they likely piggybacked off of Vergeben and the DMCV leaker that also claimed Dante in Smash, so it was apparent they were trolling. Plus, with this leak, they act as if they know the last 2 DLC characters despite not saying them. I doubt anyone currently knows the last two DLC characters except for Sakurai, some devs, and Nintendo higher-ups (whom are really high-up).

edit: apparently Pokemon info was in a "leak" 2 weeks ago as well. I knew about the leak but didn't pay attention to the date. The leak says nothing about Smash and is only for Sword and Shield.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I played the Spongebob SquarePants Movie Game back in the day, but I never played Battle for Bikini Bottom. I will have to try out the remake when it comes out.
Only Spongebob game I've played was Creature from the Krusty Krab.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I played the Spongebob SquarePants Movie Game back in the day, but I never played Battle for Bikini Bottom. I will have to try out the remake when it comes out.
Well, the movie game borrowed a lot of things from Battle for Bikini Bottom(Mainly certain abilities and the same engine), so I am sure you would enjoy it if you liked the movie game.

Also, I am going to take this opportunity to shill some BfBB music. Seriously, the soundtrack is way too good.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I loved Creature from the Krusty Krab, BFBB, and the movie game. I really like CftKK's title theme.

I also played the PC version of BFBB, some PC game based on the original movie but you drove around in the Patty Wagon doing missions, some other PC SpongeBob game that I don't remember the name of, and Nighty Nightmare which was also a favorite (Technically there was also the SpongeBob Monopoly game on PC).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I played Creature from the Krusty Krab (to the end) and I think the beginning of Battle for Bikini Bottom. CftKK grabbed me more gameplay wise, but this was kid me, and one should always assume they had **** taste as a kid.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I played Creature from the Krusty Krab (to the end) and I think the beginning of Battle for Bikini Bottom. CftKK grabbed me more gameplay wise, but this was kid me, and one should always assume they had **** taste as a kid.
Yeah, I think this is a good bit to put for this post.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
The Pokemon news was decent and hopefully there will be more Pokemon reveals for E3.

I particularly liked the legendary sword doggo (Zacian??), which had a strangely Asguardian aesthetic to it. If Thor had a pet, I imagine it might actually look like this legendary.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Pokemon news was decent and hopefully there will be more Pokemon reveals for E3.

I particularly liked the legendary sword doggo (Zacian??), which had a strangely Asguardian aesthetic to it. If Thor had a pet, I imagine it might actually look like this legendary.
IMG_20190605_144022.jpg

Ah yes, my favorite legendary.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
At the very least, if Banjo makes it, the implications for Geno are very good, even if not for Ultimate itself. It shows that a character that has lost relevance, yet is still beloved by fans, can be revived by Nintendo. This is Nintendo making the DLC choices, so for them to go for Banjo would be phenomenal. It would mean that they'd be willing to revive Geno one day, too, if the pieces can fall into place. I don't think Geno's coming in Ultimate unless we get more DLC (which is also something I think is not happening), but do I think that he'll return to us one day?

If Banjo gets in Smash and we get an actual Rare-vival for him, even if only as one last hurrah, then... yes. I really do think so.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At the very least, if Banjo makes it, the implications for Geno are very good, even if not for Ultimate itself. It shows that a character that has lost relevance, yet is still beloved by fans, can be revived by Nintendo. This is Nintendo making the DLC choices, so for them to go for Banjo would be phenomenal. It would mean that they'd be willing to revive Geno one day, too, if the pieces can fall into place. I don't think Geno's coming in Ultimate unless we get more DLC (which is also something I think is not happening), but do I think that he'll return to us one day?

If Banjo gets in Smash and we get an actual Rare-vival for him, even if only as one last hurrah, then... yes. I really do think so.
Also, Geno is pretty much the last major old Smash request. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, they would all be character now. If they could get in, Geno could very well get in.

Edit:
Found this funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom