• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That'll be my last bit on erdrick here for now, unless someone wants to keep talking about it. But yeah i think talking more about geno is a good idea ;p
I gotta say, I have to poke fun at this because you say this EVERY TIME and yet you ALWAYS come back to say something else. It's like if someone dares to say something truthful about the negatives about Dragon Quest in Smash you have to fly in and play defense attorney. Well I'm sorry, but this isn't Ace Attorney and there is no need for this. Just accept the fact that the GENO thread will be mostly talking about the negatives or cons that would lead to Dragon Quest's exclusion from Smash yet again because us talking about the pros is one step away from admitting Geno isn't happening.

With that out of the way, I'm taking this tiny excursion from my self-imposed exile that will last until after E3 to tell you this.

Expect a Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie remake a la Insane Trilogy/Reignite/Medievil to be announced at E3 and for Banjo to be in Smash. Also expect a second character after Banjo for Smash.

Where is my info from?

Absolutely goddamn nowhere. Not Sabi/Polar, not my own source, nada. This is guesswork, but it's highly researched and informed guesswork.

I've only made two hard calls like this before, and they both ended up being right.

The first was on September 17th, 2012 and is still my favorite prediction. After watching a video by Maximillian_dood about Microsoft renewing their trademark for Killer Instinct, I paused the video, turned to my roommate at the time and looked at him straight in the eye and said this:

"I'm calling this right now and I want you to remember this: Microsoft is going to make a new Killer Instinct game, it's going to come out for their new console that is likely releasing next year, and it will be a launch title to compete with Street Fighter being a Playstation Exclusive on their next console."

The other call I made was when rumors started circulating about the 'Nintendo NX' I said that "the NX will use the WiiU gamepad technology and improve on it so that it will be more like a big fancy Nintendo 3DS or a tablet that you can actually take with you further than half a room away, but it will still connect to your TV somehow so you can enjoy games on the big screen and take it with you when you can't."

I make this hard call with the same confidence. If I'm wrong...oh well, but I would be highly surprised at this point.

Adieu until June 12th! :kirby:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I gotta say, I have to poke fun at this because you say this EVERY TIME and yet you ALWAYS come back to say something else. It's like if someone dares to say something truthful about the negatives about Dragon Quest in Smash you have to fly in and play defense attorney. Well I'm sorry, but this isn't Ace Attorney and there is no need for this. Just accept the fact that the GENO thread will be mostly talking about the negatives or cons that would lead to Dragon Quest's exclusion from Smash yet again because us talking about the pros is one step away from admitting Geno isn't happening.

With that out of the way, I'm taking this tiny excursion from my self-imposed exile that will last until after E3 to tell you this.

Expect a Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie remake a la Insane Trilogy/Reignite/Medievil to be announced at E3 and for Banjo to be in Smash. Also expect a second character after Banjo for Smash.

Where is my info from?

Absolutely goddamn nowhere. Not Sabi/Polar, not my own source, nada. This is guesswork, but it's highly researched and informed guesswork.

I've only made two hard calls like this before, and they both ended up being right.

The first was on September 17th, 2012 and is still my favorite prediction. After watching a video by Maximillian_dood about Microsoft renewing their trademark for Killer Instinct, I paused the video, turned to my roommate at the time and looked at him straight in the eye and said this:

"I'm calling this right now and I want you to remember this: Microsoft is going to make a new Killer Instinct game, it's going to come out for their new console that is likely releasing next year, and it will be a launch title to compete with Street Fighter being a Playstation Exclusive on their next console."

The other call I made was when rumors started circulating about the 'Nintendo NX' I said that "the NX will use the WiiU gamepad technology and improve on it so that it will be more like a big fancy Nintendo 3DS or a tablet that you can actually take with you further than half a room away, but it will still connect to your TV somehow so you can enjoy games on the big screen and take it with you when you can't."

I make this hard call with the same confidence. If I'm wrong...oh well, but I would be highly surprised at this point.

That was to try to encourage talking more about geno in the thread. Some people talked about erdrick even after, some for fun and some saying some things that are off, so I replied to them. It's not that complicated, lol. He said that erdrick was designed as a blank slate without personality (unlike fan art), and I showed some official art from the nes era to the contrary.

People can talk about what they want, but I really encourage to focus on supporting the character you like rather than trying to find negatives about other ones, especially that some people not just exaggerate but make some things up sometimes in order to justify what they don't want. This isn't limited to characters, and it's something that people should learn to step away from doing in general, especially since negativity doesn't line up well with others.

It's better to be truthful about things even if you have to admit negatives as well as positives of characters. I've been over not just the positives of erdrick but the negatives too. Unfortunately some people go too far and dont get a good picture of things (making up negatives or spreading them without realizing).

Supporting a character shouldn't be about bashing or propping up the chances of character, since the reality will be what it is and we'll find out from nintendo themselves, and supporting up a character itself and talking about it in a good light instead of others can be good including for art and the like and spreading the love of it (or the franchise) around. People who like the character a little have more chance to talk positively of the character from that, instead of being turned off by talk against characters they might like.

I've said this multiple times but I like many games from SE. and includes mario rpg too. There's other people that like many games. Imagine actually being considerate and focusing on geno support instead of constantly feeling threatened by other characters that've been talked about, that we could all get along for geno's cause, etc.

I think that's as simple as I can put it. Everyone can do what they want, of course, but I sincerely believe in the better ways to talk together as a community to take account different fans. And in whatever case, it's normal to reply about a character you like when someone says things that're exaggerated. (well there's some cases where it's not worth it) There's been quite a bit of that going around lately, and I'm noticing more and more people being tired of it. Thankfully it's probably close to the endgame, at least for a few characters. But I still think it applies in general.

Even if I might speculate on a few things, I don't have expectations for e3, and it's going to stay that way. I find it much more fun to just find out there, lol.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Where is my info from?

I'm feeling the same thing. Let's hope your good track record outweighs my terrible one.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
*Come E3*

Here at Nintendo we pride ourselves in getting only the best of the best! Here's the new Smash character:

Screen goes black

Subhuman starts playing

The sound of steps is heard, the camera pans up to reveal a young man in a coat, with long white hair, and suddenly

'Not in a million years'

DmC Dante joins the fight!
This post has been infracted for excessive trolling. /s

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Vergeben is back and saying the next character is Erdrick. We know that his DLC track record is not great, but in his comment is he referring to another 2nd square rep possibility? I might be misreading it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77758068?jumpto=196#196
I think he might be talking about Cloud as the first one. I'm not entirely sure though, but with everything that's been talked about i dont think he would just spring up a second dlc SE rep there.

Of course, I'd be down for an extra se character in any case ;p

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

Where is my info from?

I'll see your Banjo Kazooie and RAISE you a gen 8 pokemon, good sir. My sources? Only the voices in my head, but I still think that both of these predictions are highly likely given the timing, Nintendo's self bias and the current atmosphere surrounding Banjo. Feel free to scream my folly if you want, but I just want to call these now so that I can gloat about my prophetic powers should they actually come true. Granted, I wouldn't even really want to see a gen 8 poke in lieu of Geno or tons of other characters, but my spider sense just won't stop tingling. Man, E3 just can't come fast enough. I feel like a grade school kid agonizing over Christmas in October.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm still putting my money on a Geno DLC drop.
I'm putting my money on Geno not making an appearance at E3 in any form beyond maybe a cameo of his spirit and a Mii costume drop... so obviously, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

It's okay, though, because at least the fans will always give me something to hype about with my boy! RAWEST FOREST REANIMATED HYPE TRAIN, LET'S GO. CHOO CHOO.

Oh, speaking of which, I doodled a thing last night. I hope you didn't like your eyes, because these colors will sear them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm putting my money on Geno not making an appearance at E3 in any form beyond maybe a cameo of his spirit and a Mii costume drop... so obviously, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

It's okay, though, because at least the fans will always give me something to hype about with my boy! RAWEST FOREST REANIMATED HYPE TRAIN, LET'S GO. CHOO CHOO.

Oh, speaking of which, I doodled a thing last night. I hope you didn't like your eyes, because these colors will sear them.
You say doodled but it's actually really well made. And i like bright things so it's more than super easy on my eyes ;p
I think it's great to see a side of geno like this :D Starry eyed and full of fun & confidence.

Last edited:

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
MM yes love me a 90s cool kid Geno! Looks great and cute and all that :D
although sometimes I forget this is what people consider eye-searing, this is just like my default palette lmao

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That was to try to encourage talking more about geno in the thread. Some people talked about erdrick even after, some for fun and some saying some things that are off, so I replied to them. It's not that complicated, lol. He said that erdrick was designed as a blank slate without personality (unlike fan art), and I showed some official art from the nes era to the contrary.

People can talk about what they want, but I really encourage to focus on supporting the character you like rather than trying to find negatives about other ones, especially that some people not just exaggerate but make some things up sometimes in order to justify what they don't want. This isn't limited to characters, and it's something that people should learn to step away from doing in general, especially since negativity doesn't line up well with others.

It's better to be truthful about things even if you have to admit negatives as well as positives of characters. I've been over not just the positives of erdrick but the negatives too. Unfortunately some people go too far and dont get a good picture of things (making up negatives or spreading them without realizing).

Supporting a character shouldn't be about bashing or propping up the chances of character, since the reality will be what it is and we'll find out from nintendo themselves, and supporting up a character itself and talking about it in a good light instead of others can be good including for art and the like and spreading the love of it (or the franchise) around. People who like the character a little have more chance to talk positively of the character from that, instead of being turned off by talk against characters they might like.

I've said this multiple times but I like many games from SE. and includes mario rpg too. There's other people that like many games. Imagine actually being considerate and focusing on geno support instead of constantly feeling threatened by other characters that've been talked about, that we could all get along for geno's cause, etc.

I think that's as simple as I can put it. Everyone can do what they want, of course, but I sincerely believe in the better ways to talk together as a community to take account different fans. And in whatever case, it's normal to reply about a character you like when someone says things that're exaggerated. (well there's some cases where it's not worth it) There's been quite a bit of that going around lately, and I'm noticing more and more people being tired of it. Thankfully it's probably close to the endgame, at least for a few characters. But I still think it applies in general.

Even if I might speculate on a few things, I don't have expectations for e3, and it's going to stay that way. I find it much more fun to just find out there, lol.
Erdrick is a blank slate though. That’s his role as a character in DQ3. Like I don’t even think this is a very controversial statement or exaggerated at all.

Me saying I think Erdrick sucks as a potential rep has nothing to do with being “threatened”. I just think he’s a bad choice for a FP character and to be the DQ rep. Some people are just not going to be as positive about certain characters. That’s personal preference and that’s okay. People speak pretty frankly about their feelings regarding Geno and his chances all over this site on other character specific hype threads and that’s ok. I’m specifically not going onto the Erdrick thread to talk up Geno or devalue Erdrick because that to me would be inappropriate. I don’t even go onto the SE thread to talk about Geno because I know how to read a room.

Speaking honestly about how you feel regarding another character isn’t a bad thing. It’s honesty and implying everyone should put on some facade that one is super excited about every character and wants every character to get for their fan’s happiness is more thought policing than anything else.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I hope this doesnt come off as moderating but please refrain from discussing Erdrick at this time. It is just the same argument(s) as well as pros/cons going in circles.

I understand E3 is hype and it is super likely that one is going to happen over the other, but I mean there is another fourm for it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Erdrick is a blank slate though. That’s his role as a character in DQ3. Like I don’t even think this is a very controversial statement or exaggerated at all.

Me saying I think Erdrick sucks as a potential rep has nothing to do with being “threatened”. I just think he’s a bad choice for a FP character and to be the DQ rep. Some people are just not going to be as positive about certain characters. That’s personal preference and that’s okay. People speak pretty frankly about their feelings regarding Geno and his chances all over this site on other character specific hype threads and that’s ok. I’m specifically not going onto the Erdrick thread to talk up Geno or devalue Erdrick because that to me would be inappropriate.

Speaking honestly about how you feel regarding another character isn’t a bad thing. It’s honesty and implying everyone should put on some facade that one is super excited about every character and wants every character to get for their fan’s happiness is more thought policing than anything else.
Of course i'm not saying those things. I'm talking about being truthful and looking further than just ideas someone has on characters. I'm sure you dont appreciate when people spread things about geno that are either not true, or exaggerated.

I encourage honesty and that includes being frank about personal taste. A lot of people spread ideas around that they took on because they dont like a character at the outset. There's characters in the past that i didnt like but i warmed up to them once i knew more about them or saw how its fans looked at them. It's something pretty typical in a way, which is why it can get annoying when someone says all sorts of things about a character beyond just saying that they dont personally like them.

And again, it's also about character support being open, including to more people. Most people arent only a fan of one character, so to talk down on a character doesn't really help in the wider community.

Anyway, i brought up what i did to show that erdrick could easily have personality designed in smash, so i dont get why you're holding onto your idea as if it has bearing. How about we move on instead? im sure that'd lead to better talks.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I hope this doesnt come off as moderating but please refrain from discussing Erdrick at this time. It is just the same argument(s) as well as pros/cons going in circles.

I understand E3 is hype and it is super likely that one is going to happen over the other, but I mean there is another fourm for it.
I wasn’t discussing “Erdrick” specifically except for that first part. Even then I was just making an overall point that people can have negative opinions about things and that that’s OK.

What would you like to discuss about Geno?

Of course i'm not saying those things. I'm talking about being truthful and looking further than just ideas someone has on characters. I'm sure you dont appreciate when people spread things about geno that are either not true, or exaggerated.

I encourage honesty and that includes being frank about personal taste. A lot of people spread ideas around that they took on because they dont like a character at the outset. There's characters in the past that i didnt like but i warmed up to them once i knew more about them or saw how its fans looked at them. It's something pretty typical in a way, which is why it can get annoying when someone says all sorts of things about a character beyond just saying that they dont personally like them.

And again, it's also about character support being open, including to more people. Most people arent only a fan of one character, so to talk down on a character doesn't really help in the wider community.

Anyway, i brought up what i did to show that erdrick could easily have personality designed in smash, so i dont get why you're holding onto your idea as if it has bearing. How about we move on instead? im sure that'd lead to better talks.
I mean someone’s ideas about a character are their opinion. If you don’t agree with someone’s opinion you are free to engage with them about it in a respectful way. Again I didn’t exaggerate anything.

I just don’t like Erdrick dude. I think he sucks as a DQ rep. I think there are better DQ characters out there. If people feel the same way about Geno in relation to Mario characters (and they do) that’s fine. It’s their opinion. I’m speaking honestly about why specifically I do not like the character. If you do not like my opinions you are free to engage with me or ignore them :) I don’t see why people being honest about their preferences is hurting the community as long as they’re not being toxic.

I’m just stating my opinion as to why he’s not a good of choice as others. Just because Sakurai could craft a personality for him doesn’t not make him a blank slate character nor does it really make me very excited for him if he is the SE rep. We can agree to stop talking about it but if you respond to me and say something I don’t agree with I’m going to keep responding to you. That’s how discussions work lol You don’t get to decide when people do or don’t discuss something.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So anywhoooo, I think my dream scenario for E3 would be the reveal of Geno alongside an HD sequel to SMRPG, complete with the unveiling of Mallow as an assist trophy. I could just imagine Price Fluffy Fluffy jumping out of his still-standing shoes and pants like in the game, raining down lightning over the stage. I know it's the pipiest of pipe dreams, but frick, I would be able to die complete.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So anywhoooo, I think my dream scenario for E3 would be the reveal of Geno alongside an HD sequel to SMRPG, complete with the unveiling of Mallow as an assist trophy. I could just imagine Price Fluffy Fluffy jumping out of his still-standing shoes and pants like in the game, raining down lightning over the stage. I know it's the pipiest of pipe dreams, but frick, I would be able to die complete.
I would very much like all of that. It doesn’t really seem like they’re adding ATs though does it? They didn’t add in any Persona ATs did they?

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

You know you aren't required to get the last word every single time you pop in here, right? You reply to everything and then say at the end that you won't say anything further and want to move on, but then you continue to reply and go in circles.

I miss the days when I could support Geno in the Geno thread without people arguing about it. We want to be positive about our character's chances, and yes, that includes sometimes pointing out the (very few) reasons why maybe Erdrick might not be in or why we don't think he's a good choice. For most of us in here, Geno is our most wanted and another character from the same company is obviously going to be seen as direct "competition" to most of us so please stop coming in here to try and tell us what we should be discussing in here/how to support our character.

It's hard enough to stay positive about Geno's chances as is, so just let us say whatever we want as long as we aren't actually hurting anyone.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I would very much like all of that. It doesn’t really seem like they’re adding ATs though does it? They didn’t add in any Persona ATs did they?
Nah, no ATs thus far, but hey, if Sakurai has taught us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Nah, no ATs thus far, but hey, if Sakurai has taught us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.
Yeah I would totally be up for more ATs at this point because why not. The only reason I could see them not adding any is because it would take time to model them that maybe they want to spend on other FP characters.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So one of the ResetERA Admins who has been known to leak things just recently posted this. (Potential spoilers for who the E3 character is!)

I was leaning towards Banjo being the most likely outcome anyway, so this just adds fuel to my personal fan-theory fire. I am curious if we’re going to be getting just 1 character though because I could see us potentially getting Banjo + someone else.
At this point I'm leaning towards Banjo and another character with one being announced and released shortly after the direct and the other in a couple of months.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
We’re pretty unlikely to get Assist Trophies at this point with DLC. Smash 4 got none added with the DLC and Joker didn’t get anything either. Joker was supposed to be emblematic of the DLC going forward (in regards to the content he brought), so when he didn’t come with one I’m more or less convinced that was a full on confirmation that we won’t be getting content beyond that with the Fighter’s Pass.

And really, if DLC is such a pain as Sakurai says, Assist Trophies seem like a massive waste of time with already stretched resources for DLC. Especially with just how much time and effort they put into some of them. I mean Alucard has a ton of stuff that I’d imagine someone in the future could easily use to make an actual character for example.

Also, maybe I’m a bad Mario RPG fan, but I benched Mallow more or less permanently once I could lol.

domriver

Smash Lord
So one of the ResetERA Admins who has been known to leak things just recently posted this. (Potential spoilers for who the E3 character is!)

I was leaning towards Banjo being the most likely outcome anyway, so this just adds fuel to my personal fan-theory fire. I am curious if we’re going to be getting just 1 character though because I could see us potentially getting Banjo + someone else.
i gotta stop coming here but i cant. lol Im all for Banjo- Kazooie though i think Sakurai/Nintendo has more than Banjo up their sleeve i have a feelings DLC 2 and 3 will be announced with maybe 2 echos. DLC 2 will be ready after the E3 presentation and DLC 3 sometime in the future. Im still hoping for my Geno Guess we shall see in about 8 days! eeeek! good thing im very busy this week.

ZelDan

Smash Master
We’re pretty unlikely to get Assist Trophies at this point with DLC. Smash 4 got none added with the DLC and Joker didn’t get anything either. Joker was supposed to be emblematic of the DLC going forward (in regards to the content he brought), so when he didn’t come with one I’m more or less convinced that was a full on confirmation that we won’t be getting content beyond that with the Fighter’s Pass.

And really, if DLC is such a pain as Sakurai says, Assist Trophies seem like a massive waste of time with already stretched resources for DLC. Especially with just how much time and effort they put into some of them. I mean Alucard has a ton of stuff that I’d imagine someone in the future could easily use to make an actual character for example.

Also, maybe I’m a bad Mario RPG fan, but I benched Mallow more or less permanently once I could lol.
back when I was alot younger I benched both Mallow and geno and stuck with Mario, Peach and Bowser just for the novelty of it.

In more recent playthroughs I like to go with variety (like I do in many RPGs) and switch around the characters more. I do still like the Mario, Bowser, and Peach team and will use it during the Smithy battle atleast.

Firox

Smash Master

I honestly wasn't expecting any AT DLC, and I specifically said that any of what I wanted was "the pipiest of pipe dreams" but thanks for the input. It's always nice to get that super obvious realism to wring the life out of what little fun, hype, or imagination anyone tries to inject into the thread. Cheers.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I honestly wasn't expecting any AT DLC, and I specifically said that any of what I wanted was "the pipiest of pipe dreams" but thanks for the input. It's always nice to get that super obvious realism to wring the life out of what little fun, hype, or imagination anyone tries to inject into the thread. Cheers.
Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I was more responding to the other quote I listed above and don’t really see the other quote while checking the thread actually.

But, hey! Reality is totally fun and interesting when discussing the chances of characters and situations in Smash! It’s my preferred way of discussion if you couldn’t tell haha.

(I’m genuinely not be saracastic or trolling here, genuine speculation that’s heavily grounded tends to be what I enjoy most of all about SmashBoards and other Smash discussions. Especially once threads have basically become so big and explored most of the possibilities of the fun stuff like ours and basically operate more as social threads due to that longevity).

paper roxy

Smash Ace

lol. fitting that around the time i decided to start playin smash and checking out smash boards again that we get news about one of the three characters i was hopin' for.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wasn’t discussing “Erdrick” specifically except for that first part. Even then I was just making an overall point that people can have negative opinions about things and that that’s OK.

What would you like to discuss about Geno?

I mean someone’s ideas about a character are their opinion. If you don’t agree with someone’s opinion you are free to engage with them about it in a respectful way. Again I didn’t exaggerate anything.

I just don’t like Erdrick dude. I think he sucks as a DQ rep. I think there are better DQ characters out there. If people feel the same way about Geno in relation to Mario characters (and they do) that’s fine. It’s their opinion. I’m speaking honestly about why specifically I do not like the character. If you do not like my opinions you are free to engage with me or ignore them :) I don’t see why people being honest about their preferences is hurting the community as long as they’re not being toxic.

I’m just stating my opinion as to why he’s not a good of choice as others. Just because Sakurai could craft a personality for him doesn’t not make him a blank slate character nor does it really make me very excited for him if he is the SE rep. We can agree to stop talking about it but if you respond to me and say something I don’t agree with I’m going to keep responding to you. That’s how discussions work lol You don’t get to decide when people do or don’t discuss something.
It's normal for people to have differing opinions.
Personal tastes, ideally, shouldn't override opinion, because that creates too much bias in the views (tho obviously it'll always happen a bit). Tastes should be something we can be honest about and know for ourselves and share with others, while coming to the truth of things can be its own pursuit.

It might be weird to talk about that, I do think it's important. None of us can know better until we're faced with different ways of thinking, because we just think how we do, when there's always more to things than we know. I'm glad that you're being honest about your tastes here and also your related opinion.

Since you dont like silent protagonists, does that mean you dont like Crono as well? There isn't much difference. And a lot of games that dont even have much story would technically count as well, so characters from platformers, like the belmonts, and much more characters, would have little personality as well. In all those cases it comes down to either the players using their imagination along with what's given, or official art and lore, etc, to base some personality. Or to just like them as game characters, quasi 'blank slates' that are played for the experience, not the personality. That'd be the case for a lot of games, especially older ones.

It's not a bad topic, really. I dont think it matters too much for smash whether a character has a lot more personality than another, especially with the ones we already have in there, but I do think it can be neat.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I was more responding to the other quote I listed above and don’t really see the other quote while checking the thread actually.

But, hey! Reality is totally fun and interesting when discussing the chances of characters and situations in Smash! It’s my preferred way of discussion if you couldn’t tell haha.

(I’m genuinely not be saracastic or trolling here, genuine speculation that’s heavily grounded tends to be what I enjoy most of all about SmashBoards and other Smash discussions. Especially once threads have basically become so big and explored most of the possibilities of the fun stuff like ours and basically operate more as social threads due to that longevity).
Fair enough. It isn't the realism that's a downer though. Most of us are well aware of how remote Geno's (and by extension, Mallow's) chances are. It's just nice not having to be constantly reminded even amidst our own fantasies.

I was honestly hoping it was meant to be taken straight and not be such an ******* comment.
Maybe yours is a "******* comment", but mine was a little deeper than I think you're giving it credit. As I stated above for EricTheGamerman, realism is well and good, but it was already stated that my hope for Geno and an assist trophy were merely an optimistic wish. Stamping out even the most ambiguous hope that such a thing could be possible is just redundant and unnecessary. Couple this with the fact that the thread was already kind of in a rut between all the Erdrick talk and the information vacuum leading up to E3, it just seemed to suck all the air out of the room for me. Sorry if you didn't like the delivery, but it just kind of irked me is all. I don't see how taking the comment "straight" would have made any sense unless you honestly WANT to wring the life out of fun, hype and imagination.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Oh, by the way guys...
It will pretty cool to see such an iconic SMRPG related video reanimated. Kirbopher seems to be looking forward to it at least.
As a European, this Newgrounds classic, alongside Brawl fanmade rosters, made me aware of Geno (and the Axem Rangers thanks to Super Mario Bros Z haha), convincing me to eventually play Mario RPG.

Haven't looked back since.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Fair enough. It isn't the realism that's a downer though. Most of us are well aware of how remote Geno's (and by extension, Mallow's) chances are. It's just nice not having to be constantly reminded even amidst our own fantasies.

Maybe yours is a "******* comment", but mine was a little deeper than I think you're giving it credit. As I stated above for EricTheGamerman, realism is well and good, but it was already stated that my hope for Geno and an assist trophy were merely an optimistic wish. Stamping out even the most ambiguous hope that such a thing could be possible is just redundant and unnecessary. Couple this with the fact that the thread was already kind of in a rut between all the Erdrick talk and the information vacuum leading up to E3, it just seemed to suck all the air out of the room for me. Sorry if you didn't like the delivery, but it just kind of irked me is all. I don't see how taking the comment "straight" would have made any sense unless you honestly WANT to wring the life out of fun, hype and imagination.
I was only referring to the fact we are incredibly unlikely to get additional Assist Trophies in the last post to be fair, though I know this is likely a commentary leveled at me for most of my posts. I suppose I tend to be entirely unfazed by reality when I'm working with fantasy because I personally can never fully remove it from my mind and therefore it has never really bothered me as an individual, so that may be an entirely fair criticism. I mean, I'm certainly capable of being engrossed in a fantasy that I have complete control over (I.E. playing a specific video game for hours, spending time in a movie, even just imagining a specific life when I'm in a new place), but I do think some of that goes out the window when you're no longer by yourself. Some people are just more attuned to reality than fantasy (This is absolutely not a criticism in any way, shape, or form or meant to imply anything about Geno either, this is a separate commentary at this point to be abundantly clear) and they will bring that reality into every scenario with them. I enjoy interacting with other people and talking about the things I love, but I'm undeniably always playing more of a "straight man" role to the table which has resulted from me too often having to pull people back down to earth from their craziest ideas (much of it very well earned, some of my friends in real life tend not to really think things through).

The way I discuss Smash is very much a reflection of that. I don't like the tribalism that can come with enjoying certain content, so I tend to be pretty critical of all support threads these days just because I don't think that's healthy for anyone and think we could do better as a community. I don't like putting down someone to get ahead or an unwillingness to see how others may be more redeeming in un-shown ways, hence a lot of my tendency to be much more of a defender of Erdrick in this thread. I also joined in a much less pleasant time to be around for Smash fan speculation during the late stages of Smash 4 and that has influenced a lot of how I conduct myself on SmashBoards these days. Watching things like the Ridley thread get locked, the ESRB leak come roaring out to destroy more hopes and dreams than Incineroar ever dreamed of, and the absolute consistent insistence that certain characters were getting in (Ridley's shadow means he's playable, they have the Kremlings in Smash Run so King K. Rool is in, etc.) really helped convince me that I needed to be more grounded and that we as a community tend to do better when we're grounded. Things like Ashley, Isaac, and Shadow only further confirmed that stance on things with Ultimate.

You probably didn't need all that, but I thought it was as good a time as any to maybe address some of the problems people might have with how I conduct my posts in this thread. I will always have a tendency to separate my support and my speculation by quite a wide margin. I really do love Geno, I think he's a great character for Smash much like Sakurai and I know he's one that fans have wanted for years. The fact he's gotten so close really feels like he should happen sooner rather than later and I desperately want him to be included in Ultimate because I want Ultimate to manage to pull it all off. I actually quite desperately hope we see more fighters beyond the Fighter's Pass and that they do have multiple seasons of content since I doubt we'll ever see the likes of it again in Smash. But on a personal level, I don't think he's in the Fighter's Pass (third party Spirits have always been a real sticking point for me and they've always felt so much more final than first party and I can get into that if people wish) and I'm extremely skeptical of additional DLC given Sakurai's recent comments on the matter, so I'm also not super keen on Geno's chances right now. I've never said he's impossible or definitively not coming, I could never substantiate either of those claims anyway, but I'll also say I've never believed that either.

I just don't think really much has changed since Joker's reveal in December for Geno, which is just kind of a complete coin toss for him to be in DLC. The biggest things have been the DLC Spirit Boards which give me pause for a lot of characters that I would have otherwise thought had good chances, and Sakurai's book which has given me pause on future DLC beyond the Fighter's Pass. Trust me when I say this, I will be absolutely hype and there with the thread when something more tangibly positive comes our way. But I want that hype to be real and earned when it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom