• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Just wanted to pop in and say I still have hope for Geno.

My mind has not changed about anything leak related since Jokers announcement and it'll stay the same when Banjo gets announced at e3 (callin it rn). There's still 4 character slots. It's entirely possible that one could still be Geno.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I guess on the subject of Mario RPGs, I've always been curious about why Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time had a negative reputation. I don't think it's thaty great or amazing myself, but I recall enjoying it the couple times I played.

The only issue that really springs to me is that the game had almost no side content I think, unless I missed or forgot something. Even Paper Mario 64 and M&L: SS had a bit more to it than PiT did.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I guess on the subject of Mario RPGs, I've always been curious about why Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time had a negative reputation. I don't think it's thaty great or amazing myself, but I recall enjoying it the couple times I played.

The only issue that really springs to me is that the game had almost no side content I think, unless I missed or forgot something. Even Paper Mario 64 and M&L: SS had a bit more to it than PiT did.
I don't think PiT is all that bad, but I'll never forgive it for the way it portrayed my dino bois :yoshi:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't even remember what the Yoshi's were like in the game. I'll take your word for it I guess.
Well, they're depicted as

Cowardly (runs away from a large enemy when they have tools to handle it)
Weak (takes 8 Yoshis to push a Chomp Rock when one is enough from other games)
Stupid (believes Baby Bowser saved them even though they saw the Mario Bros. save them right in front of their faces)

Not to mention that there was no callback to the events of Yoshi's Island despite taking place pretty much just after that. :yoshi:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just wanted to pop in and say I still have hope for Geno.

My mind has not changed about anything leak related since Jokers announcement and it'll stay the same when Banjo gets announced at e3 (callin it rn). There's still 4 character slots. It's entirely possible that one could still be Geno.
My man, I hope you're right on all accounts including on Banjo. I swear that I'm chomping at the bit when it comes to Banjo because his chances are better than they've ever been. My heart still says he has no chance because it's so used to being broken over B-K, but my logical mind is like, "Uh? Holy ****? There's hope?!?" It's SO WEIRD, MAN.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It's less info and more just an official statement that he's not planned for the game.
I mean, there's always the (admittedly slim, but still worth considering) chance that this could be an NDA-driven ruse, but if you wanna be absolutist about it, I guess I can't stop you.

D

Deleted member

My man, I hope you're right on all accounts including on Banjo. I swear that I'm chomping at the bit when it comes to Banjo because his chances are better than they've ever been. My heart still says he has no chance because it's so used to being broken over B-K, but my logical mind is like, "Uh? Holy ****? There's hope?!?" It's SO WEIRD, MAN.
Guess your heart doesn't like hope anymore

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even I'm expecting Banjo at this point, and I got beat up emotionally by having expectations the last time I expected a newcomer.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Ranking of the Mario RPGs, eh?
Perfect
1. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
2. Super Mario RPG
Great
3. Super Paper Mario
4. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
5. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Good
6. Paper Mario
7. Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Mediocre
8. Mario & Luigi Dream Team
9. Mario & Luigi Paper Jam
10. Paper Mario Color Splash
Awful
11 Paper Mario Sticker Star

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
GREAT

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Paper Mario 64
3. Paper Mario: TTYD
4. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

DECENT

5. Super Paper Mario
6. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

MEH

7. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
8. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

YUCK

9. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

HAVEN'T PLAYED

Paper Mario: Color Splash and Mario and Luigi: Paper jam

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
You guys astonish me.

First off, Sakurai DOES overwork himself by our standards, regardless of what you think, and just because someone makes something that succeeds doesn't mean they are rich. Why do you think he keeps working on games if he had enough money to sit on right now? Other than being threatened by Nintendo of course.
Why do musicians keep making songs once they become multimillionaires? Why do directors continue to make films? He's a game designer. It's his favourite thing in the world

Also, Satoru Iwata was his best friend. You need to stop with this "he was threatened into making Brawl" nonsense.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Smash Bros on its own is the 6th most popular Nintendo series (5th if you combine Mario and Donkey Kong) and Sakurai's games have sold better than Halo. He has nearly 100,000,000 game sales under his belt. I would be absolute shocked if his net worth was less than $10 million and all those celebrity net worth websites seem to agree with me.

This image of Sakurai as an overworked, underpaid martyr really needs to stop. He is handsomely compensated for his work and can stop at any time he chooses.
Still, Sakurai's games haven't sold as well as the games from the other franchises I mentioned. Also, the sales from just the Super Mario, Pokemon, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy, or The Legend of Zelda franchises alone have sold more than the Kirby and Super Smash Bros. franchises combined.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I still believe in Geno. I know we'll find out in 2 weeks what will actually happen moving forward but I want to believe that he still has a shot.

If Mega Man, Belmont, K.Rool, Ridley and others can be resurrected through fan love, then why not Geno?

As lame as it sounds, this is what keeps me going with believing in Geno. I find it eerily odd that it released around the same time/just after Piranha Plant made it in. It was almost therapeutic for me to get over the way Plant kind of blue balled us.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
*cough* Black Mage *cough*
Not saying he is likely, but still a possibility. Certainly the most likely FF rep IMO
Bets on Geno or Black Mage

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Look...look, I get it. I get it, I really do. You think it's over. You think that the war has been lost and now is the time when we lament our losses and dream of what could have been.

Well I am here to tell you that THE WAR ISN'T OVER! Battles are fought and won and lost all the time, but a war consists of multiple battles and the end is not yet in site! We still have four more shots at the very LEAST to get our boi in, and I'll have you know we ain't giving up yet. We will never give up. Even when Geno doesn't get in title after title...even when people berate us for supporting a character from so long ago with little history...even when everyone around us is convinced that Dragon Quest has already won the war...

WE:mad088:
WILL:mad088:
NOT:mad088:
GIVE:mad088:
UP! :mad088:

We've been invested for so long and our love for Geno and SMRPG runs TOO DEEP to give up now! He's at the closest he has even been to get in, why in the HELL would we give up when the light at the end of the tunnel is closer than it ever had been?! Why would we raise the white flag when Nintendo has talked more about Geno and SMRPG in the past couple years than they have in over a decade?! Why would we fall to the mockery of our peers when we fight for the recognition of one of the best video games ever made in history that represented the golden years of Square and Nintendo history?!

So, I say to you, wynn728. Do not give up. Do not lose hope. Instead, take my hand! Take the hand of the Geno Smashboards community and get BACK up on your feet and push and fight for what you love!

FIGHT FOR YOUR BLUE PUPPET BOI!

FIGHT FOR GENO!

Because at the end of it all, if we don't fight for him, who will? And, what else is worth fighting for than that which you hold dear?
"His drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!! JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE???!!"...sorry...I just had to. So pumped.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Why do musicians keep making songs once they become multimillionaires? Why do directors continue to make films? He's a game designer. It's his favourite thing in the world

Also, Satoru Iwata was his best friend. You need to stop with this "he was threatened into making Brawl" nonsense.
You need to stop with your misinformation, because Iwata HIMSELF said he threatened him, and Sakurai responded that 'It certainly had the desired effect' meaning he felt like the good name of his creation was in jeopardy if he didn't sign on despite leaving Hal Labs and trying to move on in his life.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have extremely important news for the Geno thread. It's very important. It's huge.

So, you know how Geno calls Mallow 'my fluffy little friend' in the English version? Well, there's an alternative term he uses in the Japanese version: fuka fuka-kun (ふかふか-くん). -kun as a suffix is a way to refer to someone your junior, so it makes sense. What does fuka fuka mean, though? It literally means fluffy fluffy. So, if we're being very literal, Geno is calling Mallow 'Fluffy Fluffy' or even 'Fluffy Fluff', but you may take liberties with the translation to mean, 'Little Fluffy Fluffy' or 'Little Fluffy Fluff'.

This is extremely cute and extremely important. You all need this information. You're welcome.

D

Deleted member

I have extremely important news for the Geno thread. It's very important. It's huge.

So, you know how Geno calls Mallow 'my fluffy little friend' in the English version? Well, there's an alternative term he uses in the Japanese version: fuka fuka-kun (ふかふか-くん). -kun as a suffix is a way to refer to someone your junior, so it makes sense. What does fuka fuka mean, though? It literally means fluffy fluffy. So, if we're being very literal, Geno is calling Mallow 'Fluffy Fluffy' or even 'Fluffy Fluff', but you may take liberties with the translation to mean, 'Little Fluffy Fluffy' or 'Little Fluffy Fluff'.

This is extremely cute and extremely important. You all need this information. You're welcome.
That's really funny lol.

Also, about it, isn't Nimbus Land's theme called "Do the fuka fuka"? If that's the case, then they're literally saying "Do the fluffy fluffy" lmao.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
You need to stop with your misinformation, because Iwata HIMSELF said he threatened him, and Sakurai responded that 'It certainly had the desired effect' meaning he felt like the good name of his creation was in jeopardy if he didn't sign on despite leaving Hal Labs and trying to move on in his life.
Really? I'd like some links because this is the first time I've heard of it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's really funny lol.

Also, about it, isn't Nimbus Land's theme called "Do the fuka fuka"? If that's the case, then they're literally saying "Do the fluffy fluffy" lmao.
Exactly. It is, indeed, doing the fluffy fluffy. Very fitting, if I do say so myself!

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Well I’ve been MIA for a while. Good to see everyone’s still been really active on here. I’m not gonna ask what I missed because that’s like over a hundred pages worth of info to catch up on. Instead I’ll just ask, what’s the outlook for Geno? Is it still a decent shot or are things looking grim?

I’m hoping to get back to talking on here again. I’ve been recovering from some pneumonia related asthma issues, so maybe talking on here could keep me distracted :)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well I’ve been MIA for a while. Good to see everyone’s still been really active on here. I’m not gonna ask what I missed because that’s like over a hundred pages worth of info to catch up on. Instead I’ll just ask, what’s the outlook for Geno? Is it still a decent shot or are things looking grim?

I’m hoping to get back to talking on here again. I’ve been recovering from some pneumonia related asthma issues, so maybe talking on here could keep me distracted :)
Depends on who you ask. I think he’s got a good chance, others disagree.

Also your pfp is godly

Ovaltine

Smash Master

It's... middling. DLC outside of the Fighter's Pass (and whatever else Nintendo/Sakurai may already have planned behind closed doors) now looks unlikely thanks to recent interviews. If Geno isn't involved in the plans they've already made beyond the Mii costume, his chances are incredibly grim. Otherwise, however, things are just the same as they have been for the past while.

So far, though, two Square reps have been definitely and debatably deconfirmed respectively: 2B and Sora. It's really disheartening for their fans, but it does admittedly give Geno less competition to worry about. Sora was one of his biggest ones with Erdrick just a bit ahead of him.

Firox

Smash Master
DLC outside of the Fighter's Pass (and whatever else Nintendo/Sakurai may already have planned behind closed doors) now looks unlikely thanks to recent interviews.
Wait, which interviews? What have they been sayin' bout my boi, Geno?

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
It's... middling. DLC outside of the Fighter's Pass (and whatever else Nintendo/Sakurai may already have planned behind closed doors) now looks unlikely thanks to recent interviews. If Geno isn't involved in the plans they've already made beyond the Mii costume, his chances are incredibly grim. Otherwise, however, things are just the same as they have been for the past while.

So far, though, two Square reps have been definitely and debatably deconfirmed respectively: 2B and Sora. It's really disheartening for their fans, but it does admittedly give Geno less competition to worry about. Sora was one of his biggest ones with Erdrick just a bit ahead of him.
Erdrick still seems like Square’s most likely rep, especially now that Sora was deconfirmed. This is an interesting situation for Geno now, with those big threats out of the way. But it’s so tantalizing that we’ll never know who was in those plans until they get revealed.

D

Deleted member

Welcome back! I think his chances are pretty good. And I hope you recover fully :)

Firox

Smash Master
Nothing about Geno himself, but basically, it's a look into the state of the DLC from Famitsu. Check it all out here.
Just read it over and a couple things worry me:

Firstly, it's stated that Bayo was the "top realizable pick" from the ballot and that those above her were either veterans or characters whose rights were too hard to secure. This actually coincides with all the newcomers we've had since her inclusion. Ultimate gave us all the veterans back along with most of the newcomers being first or second party with only Rare exception (pun intended). This explains why up until now, Isaac and Geno have gotten the shaft. Doesn't sound very reassuring...

Second, it is confirmed that the DLC are definitely made with promotional value in mind. This could be awesome in that Geno's inclusion would pretty much guarantee a SMRPG remake/sequel, however, it could also be a terrible omen against Geno if Nintendo/SE have absolutely no intention of ever continuing the franchise which seems more likely than not.

Guess I'll just have to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed until the day comes that Nintendo declares the official end of Smash DLC.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Just read it over and a couple things worry me:

Firstly, it's stated that Bayo was the "top realizable pick" from the ballot and that those above her were either veterans or characters whose rights were too hard to secure. This actually coincides with all the newcomers we've had since her inclusion. Ultimate gave us all the veterans back along with most of the newcomers being first or second party with only Rare exception (pun intended). This explains why up until now, Isaac and Geno have gotten the shaft. Doesn't sound very reassuring...

Second, it is confirmed that the DLC are definitely made with promotional value in mind. This could be awesome in that Geno's inclusion would pretty much guarantee a SMRPG remake/sequel, however, it could also be a terrible omen against Geno if Nintendo/SE have absolutely no intention of ever continuing the franchise which seems more likely than not.

Guess I'll just have to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed until the day comes that Nintendo declares the official end of Smash DLC.
Where does it actually say that they’re used for promotion? I mean I believe it 100% but I guess I just don’t see where it says that directly?

I mean I have a pretty good feeling that Brave is gonna be a walking ad (Part is intuition, part is what Fatman said) but I just want confirmation on this.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Where does it actually say that they’re used for promotion? I mean I believe it 100% but I guess I just don’t see where it says that directly?

I mean I have a pretty good feeling that Brave is gonna be a walking ad (Part is intuition, part is what Fatman said) but I just want confirmation on this.
It doesn't. It says that Smash can be used for advertisement purposes, but it doesn't say that all of the DLC are going to be made with promotional value in mind. However, it does show that the possibility of getting advertisement picks in the line-up is more likely.

Firox

Smash Master

Smash tend to have characters from older series. But just old characters wouldn't make Smash worthy. If there is no new series, then the selection of the characters will be from the old series. (p199)
It's already had proven true that joining as a character in Smash has advertising effect. (p99)
Sorry, I guess I kinda took these two quotes along with the Nintendo execs calling the shots and drew my own conclusion. It doesn't explicitly say "the DLC characters are only for promotional purposes" but it's pretty implied given many of the examples we've seen so far (Cloud, Corrin, Bayo, Joker). The next character reveal or two should cement whether this theory is accurate or not. For example, if Erdrick does in fact get in, and then we're conveniently met with a Dragon Quest plug at the end of the direct, that will definitely clench it.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It doesn't. It says that Smash can be used for advertisement purposes, but it doesn't say that all of the DLC are going to be made with promotional value in mind. However, it does show that the possibility of getting advertisement picks in the line-up is more likely.
Sorry, I guess I kinda took these two quotes along with the Nintendo execs calling the shots and drew my own conclusion. It doesn't explicitly say "the DLC characters are only for promotional purposes" but it's pretty implied given many of the examples we've seen so far (Cloud, Corrin, Bayo, Joker). The next character reveal or two should cement whether this theory is accurate or not.
Understandable.
Here's hoping Ninten and Geno are advertisement picks plz Nintendo

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sorry, I guess I kinda took these two quotes along with the Nintendo execs calling the shots and drew my own conclusion. It doesn't explicitly say "the DLC characters are only for promotional purposes" but it's pretty implied given many of the examples we've seen so far (Cloud, Corrin, Bayo, Joker). The next character reveal or two should cement whether this theory is accurate or not.
From the four you listed, only one of them was added for promotional purposes.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, I think we’re getting at least one ad character, and I’m betting on them being first party ala Corrin.

Guess we just have to wait two more weeks. Man it’s at least nice to have a concrete date on when we’re getting info.

Firox

Smash Master
From the four you listed, only one of them was added for promotional purposes.
Cloud- Then came the onslaught of FF ports
Corrin- Blatantly placed ahead of the FE Fates release
Bayo- Didn't she come just ahead of the Bayo 2 + Bayo 1 release?
Joker- Released alongside the Persona 5 Scramble announcement

Even if you want to argue Cloud and Bayo, that's still a definitive TWO. By my quackulations, I'm pretty sure that's more than one. Also note that Joker is not only the most recent, but among the 5 confirmed to be chosen by the execs whom I would bet are more interested in a bottom line than Sakurai's creative bias.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Cloud- Then came the onslaught of FF ports
Corrin- Blatantly placed ahead of the FE Fates release
Bayo- Didn't she come just ahead of the Bayo 2 + Bayo 1 release?
Joker- Released alongside the Persona 5 Scramble announcement

Even if you want to argue Cloud and Bayo, that's still a definitive TWO. By my quackulations, I'm pretty sure that's more than one. Nice try though. Also note that Joker is not only the most recent, but among the 5 confirmed to be chosen by the execs whom I would bet are more interested in a bottom line than Sakurai's creative bias.
FE Fates was already released in Japan, Bayonetta was said to be the ballot winner (though I'll say the stuff surrounding her does seem a bit suspicious), Cloud was chosen as the most popular of the Final Fantasy requests with Nomura or whoever even being surprised that Sakurai didn't go for a more-recent character (and the FF Switch ports probably weren't even planned at the time), and P5S is a spinoff beat 'em up (though I guess some Persona fans could buy a Switch just to complete their collection...?).

Though this time around, they do seem like they want some promotional value, but characters like B-K and Geno could still get in if Nintendo is getting anything with them / making plans for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom