• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cloud- Then came the onslaught of FF ports
Corrin- Blatantly placed ahead of the FE Fates release
Bayo- Didn't she come just ahead of the Bayo 2 + Bayo 1 release?
Joker- Released alongside the Persona 5 Scramble announcement

Even if you want to argue Cloud and Bayo, that's still a definitive TWO. By my quackulations, I'm pretty sure that's more than one. Nice try though. Also note that Joker is not only the most recent, but among the 5 confirmed to be chosen by the execs whom I would bet are more interested in a bottom line than Sakurai's creative bias.
Only Corrin was added to promote their game. It doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to push a character for one spin-off title and :ultbayonetta1::ultcloud: were explicitly added due to fan demand.

Just because a series gets new games in Nintendo doesn't mean every newcomer from that series is added to promote a game.

Also "nice try" part of your post was very uncalled for and I found it unnecessarily confrontational.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Only Corrin was added to promote their game. It doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to push a character for one spin-off title and :ultbayonetta1::ultcloud: were explicitly added due to fan demand.
Firstly, there is a lot of suspicion surrounding Bayo's inclusion, so I think declaring her as due solely to "fan demand" is a bit presumptuous. As for Cloud, it doesn't appear as though he was specifically added as a promotion for anything in particular, though the improved relationship with SE and the subsequent porting of FF7 and several other FF games to switch seem to be a reasonably profitable ulterior motive, does it not? Then we have Joker. His release came hand in hand with the announcement of P5 Scramble. Even if that game isn't a port of P5 itself, he is obviously promotion of it and possibly other Persona IPs that could come to switch in the future. Remember, promotion doesn't only have to be for a particular and strategically placed game. It could be the building of bridges between Nintendo and their former rivals/other developers for the sake of mutual benefit. Hence why Banjo's chances are looking so good right now. With Microsoft starting to warm up to Nintendo, there's never been a better time.

Just because a series gets new games in Nintendo doesn't mean every newcomer from that series is added to promote a game.
Doesn't mean they aren't either. DLC is a different animal from normal roster inclusions, especially when the execs are calling the shots. Considering the insane advertisement power of just existing in Smash, why WOULDN'T a company use that to their advantage? Again, the next reveal or two will tell the tale.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So I was thinking about something- A Ayumi Tachibana translated "Bayonetta was the first pick among realizable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected. (p63)"

Couldn't we argue that Geno was a character that they tried negotiating but got rejected? The Mii costume is very good and we know Sakurai wanted him in the past but couldn't get him. If this is to be believed, Snake also didn't make it past negotiations, but DID make it into Ultimate. Square might've said no to Geno during Smash 4 DLC because they wanted Final Fantasy representation first, but now that's out of the way. I'm not giving up hope for Geno yet.

Firox

Smash Master
So I was thinking about something- A Ayumi Tachibana translated "Bayonetta was the first pick among realizable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected. (p63)"

Couldn't we argue that Geno was a character that they tried negotiating but got rejected? The Mii costume is very good and we know Sakurai wanted him in the past but couldn't get him. If this is to be believed, Snake also didn't make it past negotiations, but DID make it into Ultimate. Square might've said no to Geno during Smash 4 DLC because they wanted Final Fantasy representation first, but now that's out of the way. I'm not giving up hope for Geno yet.
Hm. I like that logic. The fact that we haven't yet seen a Geno costume does seem to support this for now. Here's to hoping. :)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's... middling. DLC outside of the Fighter's Pass (and whatever else Nintendo/Sakurai may already have planned behind closed doors) now looks unlikely thanks to recent interviews. If Geno isn't involved in the plans they've already made beyond the Mii costume, his chances are incredibly grim. Otherwise, however, things are just the same as they have been for the past while.

So far, though, two Square reps have been definitely and debatably deconfirmed respectively: 2B and Sora. It's really disheartening for their fans, but it does admittedly give Geno less competition to worry about. Sora was one of his biggest ones with Erdrick just a bit ahead of him.
What happened with 2B?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What happened with 2B?
One of the directors (I believe? Someone just Very High Up.) blatantly said that 2B was not invited to Smash this time, long after DLC was already decided. She's in much the same state as Sora, except we have definite confirmation that this was said from the man himself instead of sketchy 'proof'.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One of the directors (I believe? Someone just Very High Up.) blatantly said that 2B was not invited to Smash this time, long after DLC was already decided. She's in much the same state as Sora, except we have definite confirmation that this was said from the man himself instead of sketchy 'proof'.
Can I get a source on that?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I mean, you can argue basically anything and there's no way to prove it or disprove it with regards to which characters overtook Bayonetta in regards to the polls, but weren't realizable. I'm doubtful Geno was ever in that position during Smash 4 when Final Fantasy clearly took priority and absolutely should have. People can argue Dragon Quest and I'll concede a relatively minor amount of room given it's not absolutely huge in the West (not that I think that matters as much as people here seem to, but oh well), but I'm fully of the opinion that missing the chance to include Final Fantasy in Smash would have been a massive mistake. Cloud was in development during the same period, so I'm much more inclined to suspect that Cloud was the deal that had been decided upon from the beginning and that Geno's Mii costume was a nod to his popularity given they had their first pick already lined up for Smash. I really doubt two Square-Enix characters was an option for Smash 4's fairly limited DLC newcomer selection. The Mii costume did release with Cloud, so that's always my sort of sticking point with him and Smash 4. We only got two Square Enix costumes from Square, with Geno being one of those two in a fairly unprecedented moment. That fact communicates to me that they don't really have an issue with letting him into things (Especially when they once again let him be a Spirit and Player Icon in Ultimate).

Final Fantasy is now out of the way and already in the game, so that's a point in favor of Geno potentially as DLC. Sora took a hit, though I agree with ForsakenM ForsakenM when he says that this statement is far from an end all/be all to his chances for the game in much the same way that I think Steve still isn't out of the running just because of Aubrey's comments. They can get away with a whole damn lot even if under NDA, but again, we just can't know that (Also, I'm always soooo happy *sarcasm* to see NDAs come up as they're one of the categories that can just sort of be whatever people want them to be for the sake of conversation and we exist in a perpetual state of Schrodinger's NDA until DLC is revealed). Dragon Quest, however, still seems like a real threat and will be for the foreseeable future. This might be Geno's time to shine now that the Final Fantasy roadblock has been moved out of his way though. IF we get a Square Enix rep at all...

D

Deleted member

I mean, you can argue basically anything and there's no way to prove it or disprove it with regards to which characters overtook Bayonetta in regards to the polls, but weren't realizable. I'm doubtful Geno was ever in that position during Smash 4 when Final Fantasy clearly took priority and absolutely should have. People can argue Dragon Quest and I'll concede a relatively minor amount of room given it's not absolutely huge in the West (not that I think that matters as much as people here seem to, but oh well), but I'm fully of the opinion that missing the chance to include Final Fantasy in Smash would have been a massive mistake. Cloud was in development during the same period, so I'm much more inclined to suspect that Cloud was the deal that had been decided upon from the beginning and that Geno's Mii costume was a nod to his popularity given they had their first pick already lined up for Smash. I really doubt two Square-Enix characters was an option for Smash 4's fairly limited DLC newcomer selection. The Mii costume did release with Cloud, so that's always my sort of sticking point with him and Smash 4. We only got two Square Enix costumes from Square, with Geno being one of those two in a fairly unprecedented moment. That fact communicates to me that they don't really have an issue with letting him into things (Especially when they once again let him be a Spirit and Player Icon in Ultimate).

Final Fantasy is now out of the way and already in the game, so that's a point in favor of Geno potentially as DLC. Sora took a hit, though I agree with ForsakenM ForsakenM when he says that this statement is far from an end all/be all to his chances for the game in much the same way that I think Steve still isn't out of the running just because of Aubrey's comments. They can get away with a whole damn lot even if under NDA, but again, we just can't know that (Also, I'm always soooo happy *sarcasm* to see NDAs come up as they're one of the categories that can just sort of be whatever people want them to be for the sake of conversation and we exist in a perpetual state of Schrodinger's NDA until DLC is revealed). Dragon Quest, however, still seems like a real threat and will be for the foreseeable future. This might be Geno's time to shine now that the Final Fantasy roadblock has been moved out of his way though. IF we get a Square Enix rep at all...
If we look back at the Nintendo dream article in 2015, Sakurai said that, while he wasn't able to get him as a fighter, he was able to achieve that of a Mii costume, implying that, yes, he did attempt to get Geno playable in Smash 4.

The difference between Aubrey saying "I think Steve is a bad pick" is different from saying "he's not in." Sora, on the other hand, had an official statement specifically saying that he wasn't planned for the game. Now, do you believe that Master Chief is deconfirmed?

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant is DLC where's the mf Piranha Plant game at Nintendo? Smh

Firox

Smash Master
Piranha Plant is DLC where's the mf Piranha Plant game at Nintendo? Smh
Mario Maker 2. Duh. Have you seen that thing ballin' it up in the flying Koopa Kar? JK, but seriously, Piranha Plant was both UNPAID DLC and blatantly the handiwork of Sakurai himself. Can't really be compared to the fighter pass since those 5 are decided by the execs who are likely more interested in dollar signs (or yen signs?) than anything else.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I don't really see why negotiation with SE necessarily had to be Geno or FF. Sakurai/Nintendo could have gone to them with both Geno and Cloud as possibilities and SE could have shot down Geno and then accepted Cloud. Considering Geno of all characters was the mii costume out of all the other SE characters possible like Sephiroth, Black Mage, a slime, Chrono, etc. and the fact that they even acknowledged he had huge fan support I think it's very unlikely he was never a part of the conversation as a playable rep. But as you said SE probably just saw FF/Cloud as the more obvious choice.

D

Deleted member

Mario Maker 2. Duh. Have you seen that thing ballin' it up in the flying Koopa Kar? JK, but seriously, Piranha Plant was both UNPAID DLC and blatantly the handiwork of Sakurai himself. Can't really be compared to the fighter pass since those 5 are decided by the execs who are likely more interested in dollar signs (or yen signs?) than anything else.
It was a j o k e

Y'all need to lighten up a little

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ayeee, so not to put a workload on a friend here, but A Ayumi Tachibana would it be possible for you to translate this? http://www.mutyun.com/archives/59311.html

I think this may be what Ovaltine Ovaltine had linked to but people are saying this here deconfirms 2B and may have other information but typical translators are screwing it all up. Feel free to do this if you have the time.

Now, onto breaking this illusion for Sora.

1. The voice actors for Vexen and Roxas (may have been Ventus, who knows, they are basically the same character) both publicly denied returning for their roles in KH3. Guess what though? They TOTALLY still voiced those roles in KH3. Huh, this means that a hard 'Nope!' is acceptable under NDA.
  2. Shinji apparently denied the existence of FF7Remake being in the works only for it to be publicly announced a week or so later. Huh, that would imply that Shinji can and has given us false information about projects under NDA before in the past... :thonk:
  3. This one is the CRAZY one! Shinji doesn't HAVE to know a damn thing about Sora being in Smash Ultimate. Sora is owned by the company only second to Square Enix for how much **** we talk about them, DISNEY! They really don't care too much about video games over film, have already mentioned being okay with Sora in other games, and they only have to get the good-will of Testuya Nomura who is a best-buddy of Sakurai's and they have talked about wanting to work together on something recently. Shinji wouldn't have to know ANYTHING and Sora could still happen, and yet even if he DOES know, his response lines up just fine under NDA and his and Square's track record.

Really? I'd like some links because this is the first time I've heard of it.
Well here is a link to that page in the Iwata Asks where Iwata mentions it was essentially a threat. MatPat also covers it roughly halfway through his Smash Ultimate theory video.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/0/1

D

Deleted member

1. The voice actors for Vexen and Roxas (may have been Ventus, who knows, they are basically the same character) both publicly denied returning for their roles in KH3. Guess what though? They TOTALLY still voiced those roles in KH3. Huh, this means that a hard 'Nope!' is acceptable under NDA.
  2. Shinji apparently denied the existence of FF7Remake being in the works only for it to be publicly announced a week or so later. Huh, that would imply that Shinji can and has given us false information about projects under NDA before in the past... :thonk:
  3. This one is the CRAZY one! Shinji doesn't HAVE to know a damn thing about Sora being in Smash Ultimate. Sora is owned by the company only second to Square Enix for how much **** we talk about them, DISNEY! They really don't care too much about video games over film, have already mentioned being okay with Sora in other games, and they only have to get the good-will of Testuya Nomura who is a best-buddy of Sakurai's and they have talked about wanting to work together on something recently. Shinji wouldn't have to know ANYTHING and Sora could still happen, and yet even if he DOES know, his response lines up just fine under NDA and his and Square's track record.
You got sources on these?

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You got sources on these?
So at the mo I've found sources for Jessie McCartney and Derek Stephen saying they weren't reprising anything in KH3.

https://www.kh13.com/forums/topic/113362-recording-for-kingdom-hearts-3-wrapped-up-no-vexen/

And...well...
1559075207546.png

1559075256416.png

1559075281369.png

Working on the other sources now, though the Disney and Testuya Nomura stuff is essentially common knowledge and has been shared here before.

You guys need to realize the power of NDAs. Makes even obvious stuff questionable, considering Lexaeus and Xaldin didn't have their VAs return.

D

Deleted member

So at the mo I've found sources for Jessie McCartney and Derek Stephen saying they weren't reprising anything in KH3.

https://www.kh13.com/forums/topic/113362-recording-for-kingdom-hearts-3-wrapped-up-no-vexen/

And...well...

Working on the other sources now, though the Disney and Testuya Nomura stuff is essentially common knowledge and has been shared here before.

You guys need to realize the power of NDAs. Makes even obvious stuff questionable, considering Lexaeus and Xaldin didn't have their VAs return.
So, first, for Jesse McCartney, he didn't outright say that he wasn't going to be voice acting. He gave a neutral response of "I don't know yet." This is different from an official statement explicitly saying "we have no plans for Sora in SSBU."

For Vexen's voice actor, you might think I'm reaching here, but he said "it is my understanding that it was recorded" rather than giving a straight, clear cut confirmation of it. He then said "I was not asked" rather than "I will not be voice acting." Again, it ties into "I dunno, I'm not sure yet."

It's all different from an official statement of "we have no plans for Sora in SSBU."

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Ayeee, so not to put a workload on a friend here, but A Ayumi Tachibana would it be possible for you to translate this? http://www.mutyun.com/archives/59311.html

I think this may be what Ovaltine Ovaltine had linked to but people are saying this here deconfirms 2B and may have other information but typical translators are screwing it all up. Feel free to do this if you have the time.

Well here is a link to that page in the Iwata Asks where Iwata mentions it was essentially a threat. MatPat also covers it roughly halfway through his Smash Ultimate theory video.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/0/1

It's a talk from Gaming Industry Chit Chat End of Year Party 2018 livestreamed on Niconico.

Saito, SE Producer "It's amazing Persona 5 came to Smash."
Kodaka,Too Kyo Games CEO "That's because of the tie-up with Persona Q on 3DS right?"
Saito "Yeah, I think it has to do with that, but didn't it make people of Shinagawa quite upset? How was it like, Hayashi-san?"
Hayashi, Famitsu Editor "No no, I'm not from Shinagawa lol. But It was a good thing Nintendo, MS, and Sony stood together at TGA."
Saito "Yeah but, you know P5 got an award in Play Station Award two days before right, so Shinagawa people would be upset you know? There were third party reveals before like Cloud, but the reveal of P5 joining in was so... I mean,everyone was so excited..."
Hayashi "Well, It's a good thing."
Saito "It's him right? Sakurai-kun made the call?"
Hayashi "Yeah, it was."
Saito "*Sigh*... It's so frustrating NieR didn't get the call."

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If we look back at the Nintendo dream article in 2015, Sakurai said that, while he wasn't able to get him as a fighter, he was able to achieve that of a Mii costume, implying that, yes, he did attempt to get Geno playable in Smash 4.

The difference between Aubrey saying "I think Steve is a bad pick" is different from saying "he's not in." Sora, on the other hand, had an official statement specifically saying that he wasn't planned for the game. Now, do you believe that Master Chief is deconfirmed?
That's not entirely accurate to say with regards to Geno. He mentioned the Brawl era specifically with Geno and having an interest in including him back then. He said nothing of Smash 4. There's no implication of him trying to get Geno in Smash 4, all that he says is that he's aware of the requests and wanted the fans to have something, hence the development of the Mii costume. You're making a big jump to say the existence of the Mii costume implies a failed negotiation for Geno in Smash 4. Sakurai's quote is that, "Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as Mii costume so his fans would at least feel like they get something." All that we can actually take away from that quote is that Geno isn't a fighter in Smash and the Mii costume was developed for the fans. The specifics of why Geno isn't in Smash 4 aren't implied at all. You can choose to make the assumption that he asked for Geno and was turned down, but there's no evidence to contribute to that. He only specifically calls out Brawl and how Geno didn't end up materializing for that game.

Yes, I think Frank O' Connor's comments are the mostly definitive. He took the time to actively address the idea of Master Chief in Smash of his own accord, and as the person that has to be talked with in the event that Master Chief gets in because he serves as the Franchise Development Director and heads 343. The difference with the Sora situation is that Shinji Hashimoto was asked the question in an interview and he's under no obligation to answer in any certain way (Unless Sora's in, in which case, he cannot say yes). That's Nintendo's announcement to make if Sora is in and it's easier to outright deny it's happening until something is announced officially from Nintendo (Again, assuming Sora is in for this hypothetical). He didn't volunteer information and directly address an issue of his free will, so I do think it qualifies as a different situation from Frank O' Connor and Chief. Plus, he's the Vice President of Square Enix talking to some young dude, that's not exactly going to be the place to drop information and it's a long damn way from an official statement from Square Enix given that context.

If Tetsuya Nomura comes out of his own will and says Sora is not in, then yes, I will believe Sora isn't in. If there's a much more official venue in which Square Enix shoots down Sora, I'd be more inclined to believe it (But even then, that's still not necessarily a guarantee given NDAs still allow you to respond No to questions).

I don't really see why negotiation with SE necessarily had to be Geno or FF. Sakurai/Nintendo could have gone to them with both Geno and Cloud as possibilities and SE could have shot down Geno and then accepted Cloud. Considering Geno of all characters was the mii costume out of all the other SE characters possible like Sephiroth, Black Mage, a slime, Chrono, etc. and the fact that they even acknowledged he had huge fan support I think it's very unlikely he was never a part of the conversation as a playable rep. But as you said SE probably just saw FF/Cloud as the more obvious choice.
I mean he could have. Again, we don't know in the least bit. But I'm much more inclined to believe that Cloud and Final Fantasy were the priority for everyone involved, including Sakurai himself. Geno in particular has fan support, so I think Sakurai wanted to see him included in some fashion with a Mii costume given he knew how the fan base might respond if nothing Geno related came up. He was the Mii costume because of his popularity in the Smash community, and they didn't go beyond Final Fantasy content for other series too. The Square situation is certainly strange, but they've also got the most complicated rights and expenditures with regards to IPs, and I suspect Geno was likely one of the cheaper options for a Mii costume anyway. We don't really know why we've gotten so little content from them. But I do think when Sakurai has spoken of the limited resources available for DLC, it makes way more sense to go with one character in mind and he seems to have clearly stated that representing Final Fantasy was a big deal to him in Smash and that Cloud was a way to make lots of people happy. There just are limits to how much he could do with DLC, so I really do suspect that they only ever had one candidate on the table.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That's not entirely accurate to say with regards to Geno. He mentioned the Brawl era specifically with Geno and having an interest in including him back then. He said nothing of Smash 4. There's no implication of him trying to get Geno in Smash 4, all that he says is that he's aware of the requests and wanted the fans to have something, hence the development of the Mii costume. You're making a big jump to say the existence of the Mii costume implies a failed negotiation for Geno in Smash 4. Sakurai's quote is that, "Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as Mii costume so his fans would at least feel like they get something." All that we can actually take away from that quote is that Geno isn't a fighter in Smash and the Mii costume was developed for the fans. The specifics of why Geno isn't in Smash 4 aren't implied at all. You can choose to make the assumption that he asked for Geno and was turned down, but there's no evidence to contribute to that. He only specifically calls out Brawl and how Geno didn't end up materializing for that game.

Yes, I think Frank O' Connor's comments are the mostly definitive. He took the time to actively address the idea of Master Chief in Smash of his own accord, and as the person that has to be talked with in the event that Master Chief gets in because he serves as the Franchise Development Director and heads 343. The difference with the Sora situation is that Shinji Hashimoto was asked the question in an interview and he's under no obligation to answer in any certain way (Unless Sora's in, in which case, he cannot say yes). That's Nintendo's announcement to make if Sora is in and it's easier to outright deny it's happening until something is announced officially from Nintendo (Again, assuming Sora is in for this hypothetical). He didn't volunteer information and directly address an issue of his free will, so I do think it qualifies as a different situation from Frank O' Connor and Chief. Plus, he's the Vice President of Square Enix talking to some young dude, that's not exactly going to be the place to drop information and it's a long damn way from an official statement from Square Enix given that context.

If Tetsuya Nomura comes out of his own will and says Sora is not in, then yes, I will believe Sora isn't in. If there's a much more official venue in which Square Enix shoots down Sora, I'd be more inclined to believe it (But even then, that's still not necessarily a guarantee given NDAs still allow you to respond No to questions).

I mean he could have. Again, we don't know in the least bit. But I'm much more inclined to believe that Cloud and Final Fantasy were the priority for everyone involved, including Sakurai himself. Geno in particular has fan support, so I think Sakurai wanted to see him included in some fashion with a Mii costume given he knew how the fan base might respond if nothing Geno related came up. He was the Mii costume because of his popularity in the Smash community, and they didn't go beyond Final Fantasy content for other series too. The Square situation is certainly strange, but they've also got the most complicated rights and expenditures with regards to IPs, and I suspect Geno was likely one of the cheaper options for a Mii costume anyway. We don't really know why we've gotten so little content from them. But I do think when Sakurai has spoken of the limited resources available for DLC, it makes way more sense to go with one character in mind and he seems to have clearly stated that representing Final Fantasy was a big deal to him in Smash and that Cloud was a way to make lots of people happy. There just are limits to how much he could do with DLC, so I really do suspect that they only ever had one candidate on the table.
Yeah I think that’s a huge assumption on your part given the only thing Sakurai has said about Geno is that he wanted to make him playable but it didn’t work out so we got the mii costume instead. That doesn’t sound like a situation where he was always only intended to be a mii costume.Especially when we have a quote showing certain requests were rejected.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, the article says "he didn't appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve that of a Mii costume" implying that he did indeed attempt to get Geno for Smash 4. He wouldn't have mentioned the bit about him not appearing as a fighter if his intent was solely to get the Mii costume from the beginning.

Frank O'Conner was responding to a tweet about whether or not Master Chief would be DLC. He didn't do it without anyone asking. He's also replying to "some dude" on the internet, so it's not a different situation from Sora's deconfirmation.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
People can lie under NDA. I'm not saying they're in, but there's no way they would ever admit it in an interview. I take those statements with a grain of salt.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The real question is, why didn't anyone ask about Geno being in Smash Bros?
As in, why not ask the creator(s) of SMRPG if Geno is a fighter?

Better yet....why not ask the people behind Dragon Quest if they were approached by Nintendo about a potential fighter for Smash?

Might as well at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People can lie under NDA. I'm not saying they're in, but there's no way they would ever admit it in an interview. I take those statements with a grain of salt.
Not if a character isn't in. If someone is clear and upfront about a character not being in, then they probably mean exactly what they say.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
To be honest I really hope the rumor about Microsoft partnering with Nintendo ends up panning out. Because if the whole conference is just them talking about Luigi's Mansion 3 and AC (even though I'm super excited for AC) it'll be a bummer. I'm very much hoping for some big SSBU from last E3 tier surprises in terms of announcements.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think any of us know exactly what an NDA actually has other than "don't disclose this info or you're going bankrupt, buddy."

If people don't mind lying, they may very well lie and say "no." It still doesn't bode well for these characters' chances, but technically they may be able to say no and be comfortable with it even if that's a lie (or still be uncomfortable with it, but don't want to seem dodgy or suspicious).

Of course, if it's online, I think saying "no" could make the characters have even less chances of getting into Smash, since they could just stay silent and pretend they don't see the questions, but if it's in person it's gonna be hard to avoid the question without being a little suspicious if you don't just say "no."

D

Deleted member

I don't think any of us know exactly what an NDA actually has other than "don't disclose this info or you're going bankrupt, buddy."

If people don't mind lying, they may very well lie and say "no." It still doesn't bode well for these characters' chances, but technically they may be able to say no and be comfortable with it even if that's a lie (or still be uncomfortable with it, but don't want to seem dodgy or suspicious).

Of course, if it's online, I think saying "no" could make the characters have even less chances of getting into Smash, since they could just stay silent and pretend they don't see the questions, but if it's in person it's gonna be hard to avoid the question without being a little suspicious if you don't just say "no."
Or they could give a neutral response, which is something like "we'll see."

If someone says their character isn't in, again, it probably means they aren't in.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I mean, there's a really good chance we're getting two at E3. We've gotten two each Smash related E3 prior. Even if we only get one in the digital event, one could always get announced later Pac Man style.

Though this next character (Brave) is probably gonna be a huge blindside to most of us.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Or they could give a neutral response, which is something like "we'll see."

If someone says their character isn't in, again, it probably means they aren't in.
They could, but I dunno.

If I asked somebody who would know about a character being in Smash and they told me something like "we'll see," I'd take that as a tease/still a bit suspect if they weren't being humorous, as it's not a straight no. And they could still say no regardless, we don't know who they are.

Yes, it doesn't bode well for the characters' chances, but I wouldn't say it's a 100% disconfirm, especially if the person has lied before. I'd assume 100% disconfirm regardless tbh, I'm just sayin' it could end up differently, even if the chance is slim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom