• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll at least make one more short reply for what we were talking about before i guess..

I mean, unless you have more to say on your specific points I don't think there's that much more to get. I'm just responding to what you have previously said. You said previously that leakers presenting him as the SE rep and Brave being the codename that was datamined where the strongest evidence for Erdrick did you not? Like, I'm pretty sure that's in your initial post on the Erdrick thread which you've directed me to before. My point is that it's not a huge piece of evidence for him any more than it is a piece of evidence against him at this point. I'm pretty chill lol I'm just responding to what you are saying and have said in the past. I don't really see what assumptions I'm making really.
The thing is, even though there's more that can be said, it's not really my place to try to convince you of something you dont want to understand. I have no problem with you thinking it's not evidence.
I've talked about my points about the leaks enough to at least give more than the jist of it , and I'd have to repeat myself yet again to try to explain what matters about it. I'd rather talk about it with someone else if it gets brought up. For now, I'll let it be, and you can go back to thinking that a leak from someone who's had characters right means nothing.

I just saw the talk on the n64. And I would've liked to keep mine if I'd known. Emulation never really managed to get n64 games down perfectly. (afaik)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If I may, I personally think the problem with the leaks is about extremist thinking. There are those who are skeptical about them, and they end up getting torn to shreds for taking a middle ground. It's been a very black-and-white reaction in the public eye, and those in more of a gray area keep getting heckled over it. I'm of the belief of Erdrick being very likely, but that lands me in a gray area. Showing even the tiniest hint of skepticism is enough to get you torn apart in some circles.

It's been a battle of, "Either you believe he's in or not." That shouldn't be the case. It's a toxic angle to the community that I have so much issue with. It stifles discussion and results in ad hominem and aggression, direct or passive, flung around. Saying as much as, "There might be a tiny chance that they don't have the right info because it's happened before," is enough to get one completely mangled nowadays. Tansut and Verge are both not infallible. There is always that chance, so people have a right to be uncertain or to disregard leaks for the time being. It isn't that it means nothing; it's that some people just want nothing to do with leak business. They have a right to do that and to talk freely among other fans, but a lot of people are being very close-minded right now.

All I can say is that ANYTHING can happen. The leaks could be right; they could be wrong. I doubt Erdrick is leak bait because of his significance (which would result in INSANE fallout in the east), but there is always a chance for misinformation. Look at how certain Verge was about Minecraft content, only for all of that to fall apart. Look at how so many insiders were sure we weren't getting Smash info at the TGA's, only for us to get Joker announced then. We were once in a state where some people thought Steve was a definite lock. He could still happen, though. However, he very well could not. We thought we'd get nothing at the TGA's, but we did.

Pro-leaker or not, people have to open their minds to the possibilities, whether it's what they want or not. People who think Erdrick is definitely not happening need to realize his likelihood. People who think Erdrick is a lock don't realize that nothing is confirmed until it's confirmed. Look at how many people thought Shadow the Hedgehog was definitely happening, only for him to happen... as an assist again.

I'm not gonna lie, I was on the, "Erdrick is definitely happening," boat because of how much I wanted Geno, but... you know, it's not a good mind set to have. Don't expect the best to happen, but keep an open mind. Chill.

Sorry, that got a bit long. It's just a point of frustration. Limiting ourselves to black-and-white thinking is so restrictive and, in the case of the Smash community, results in so much ****-flinging. I'm tired of it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'll at least make one more short reply for what we were talking about before i guess..

The thing is, even though there's more that can be said, it's not really my place to try to convince you of something you dont want to understand. I have no problem with you thinking it's not evidence.
I've talked about my points about the leaks enough to at least give more than the jist of it , and I'd have to repeat myself yet again to try to explain what matters about it. I'd rather talk about it with someone else if it gets brought up. For now, I'll let it be, and you can go back to thinking that a leak from someone who's had characters right means nothing.

I just saw the talk on the n64. And I would've liked to keep mine if I'd known. Emulation never really managed to get n64 games down perfectly. (afaik)
Yeah I’d honestly be perfectly fine with not having a discussion with you in the future especially if you’re going to be this condescending in general. It’s not really an issue of understanding or not at all. What you’re saying really isn’t that profound or complicated. I just do not agree. This is more an issue of confirmation bias than anything and is obviously colored by our individual bias. But yeah have fun ignoring context. I’m sure Verg and Tansut will get some proper SSBU DLC leaks eventually :^)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah I’d honestly be perfectly fine with not having a discussion with you in the future especially if you’re going to be this condescending in general. It’s not really an issue of understanding or not at all. What you’re saying really isn’t that profound or complicated. I just do not agree. This is more an issue of confirmation bias than anything and is obviously colored by our individual bias. But yeah have fun ignoring context. I’m sure Verg and Tansut will get some proper SSBU DLC leaks eventually :^)
To me it feels like you're talking with an image you've made of me, because there's more to me, as well as what I'm talking about, but you miss it because you or your mind makes up all these assumptions about what im saying. If you really did want to understand, then you would be open to there being more to grasp, but instead you just stop at your thought that you think you know what I mean and that's that. No matter what I say there's no openness, so I dont think i'd be able to get a point across anyway. which is why I'd rather take any talk with someone else, if it comes up.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think I'm gonna take a break from this thread and maybe Smashboards as a whole. I'm just not really having much fun at the moment and speculation is truly stale. "Erdrick is a lock!" "Banjo is a lock!" "Sora fans btfo!" "Give up on your character, he's never gonna make it!" Just kinda sick of all of it really.

See you in hopefully not too long Genobros. Don't give up.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think I'm gonna take a break from this thread and maybe Smashboards as a whole. I'm just not really having much fun at the moment and speculation is truly stale. "Erdrick is a lock!" "Banjo is a lock!" "Sora fans btfo!" "Give up on your character, he's never gonna make it!" Just kinda sick of all of it really.

Take it easy, lemon squeezy! Hope the break does ya some good. I concur so hard on the speculation cycle right now. Urgh...

ZelDan

Smash Master
Erdrick isn't a lock! Banjo isn't a lock! Sora haters btfo! Don't give up on your character, he/she will make it, especially Ninten!

there that better?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, it'd be better if people would keep open to anything happening, because the truth is we dont know what's going to happen. There's a place for thinking honestly about how things could be, but any talk is still talk, and in the end Nintendo will do what they will, and whether we want to support and speculate openly or shut down and 'settle' with something being certain is up to each person, and if you base yourself on those that shut down then you miss the mark on the fun of speculation. It's tipsy turby too though because everyone gets invested to whatever degree and then emotions get into the game, and arguments getting too negative, insecurity or whatever, when really it's ok no matter. :)

Debates are ok too, for those who want to say or point out something, but Love one another if possible. I know it's hard when there's certain things involved, but that's just a good aim to have in general, and it's ok to get invested too, it's normal, we're human. I just hope being human also reminds people to enjoy doing stuff together, including talk.
It's something I want to aim for as well when im not dragged by my own ****.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Already wasted one of the holders from a stupid mistake :facepalm: I did thankfully buy a couple extras just in case, but I definitely need to be a bit more careful.

Honestly though I should be fine now, I forgot to a step on the first holder(have to modify them a bit, still the best ones, but none are a perfect fit for snes games, these are just the lowest profile ones that the tabs also line up perfect when bent in place.) Super Mario world was the first victim, not sure why i chose my first ever snes game, but it still worked in the end, saves fine.

I think I’ll finish the others tomorrow though, it’s late, I’m tired, and I’d feel better if i was more aware and awake before doing more.

link2702

Smash Champion
I consider 12 early
While i used to stay up late all the time, having a job where i wake up before 6:30am every day has conditioned me to going to bed earlier even if I’m off the next day.

That and I’m too old now to stay up late and not feel lousy the next day :c

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While i used to stay up late all the time, having a job where i wake up before 6:30am every day has conditioned me to going to bed earlier even if I’m off the next day.

That and I’m too old now to stay up late and not feel lousy the next day :c
That's a good point lol. Usually on days off, I stay up until about 1 or 1:30, but on days I go to sleep past that time, it really catches up to you a few hours later.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I haven't had a chance to say it but I am pretty stoked we passed the Isaac thread for numbers of posts and thread views. I'd love to keep it going if it means we can gain someone's attention pretty soon.

Just call us G-Series, am I right??? (No? Okay....)

Surely this should turn some heads at Ninty/SE. We got something pretty special to show off real soon! (OSF is almost*** ready to deploy btw)

*** No current ETA but a lot of the technical labor has been completed, so we are closer than we were day one.

Last edited:

LeafMB

Smash Rookie
Alright guys, here is that big *** post I promised and talked up. I split it off into different spoilers that accurately define that topic behind them. This is so that people who aren't interested in reading the big wall of texts but are interested in my replies can do so. Even so, the middle two topics are VERY long so I warn you before diving into them. Hopefully I did a good enough job separating and formatting them so that it doesn't all just blur together and has some sort of fun and flare, though Smashboard definitely is not Word Online or Google Docs in when it comes to fancier options.

I hope you enjoy it. Also, if you did enjoy it and would like more (god I sound like a typical YouTuber phoning it in right now, jesus) or really liked the documents that were made up by others, please let me know. I know of more documents made up like that and I'm even working on one right now that covers everything one would need to know to be introduced to Geno and his pros and cons for Smash Ultimate. It will have the same amount of effort and even more love put into it than this did.

Have fun reading! :D
Uhm. Hi. I am the one who made that image. No proof of that which I can provide, it was done in college and posted to 4chan and facebook, didn't bother saving the editable Fireworks PNG because I was about to leave smash discussion in general as well as 4chan (which would have resulted in it being lost later anyway as I deleted my whole folder)

I was pretty distressed with the increasingly reactionary and paranoid behavior of the Smash community way before the Erdrick leak, when said leak happened, however, those bad tendencies had suddenly reached my favorite series, and to me, that was the last straw. After trying to fight back against the stream of misinformation, I just got tired, too many issues with studies and health to add extra stress to my life.

Yet here I am. When a friend messaged me this I was really not going to reply, though seeing the replies talking about "how in depth and on point" the post was convinced me to give it a go, because, sincerely, there are a lot of flaws here. A major issue would have been that you misunderstood the whole point of the image, but that is minor in the face of the misinformation on DQ that is presented here, this is the sort of stuff that can hurt the fanbase for years to come if it spreads.

I disliked the pedantic and mislead focus on 'perfect' here. It was a simple use of perfect as an adjective, not some platonic ideal concept, English is not my native tongue but I checked the dictionaries and it seemed the way I used it is common.

The big problem here is that you somehow take this meme as an "Erdrick is Guaranteed". I don't know how your discord friends use this, but while analyzing this for one week, didn't it strike you at any moment that the meme doesn't deal with leaks and the like? None of the characters are saying anything about leaks, datamines, and the like? No one is saying "OH THIS CHARACTER HAS A SECONDARY FORM CALLED BRAVE, HE IS CODENAME BRAVE"? That is intentional, because... this image isn't about Erdrick being a guaranteed pick, because he isn't. It's about why I think he is a good and legitimate pick, in face of the community trying to paint DQ as illegitimate, its why all the points in the image are related to quality, not likehood.

See, I am one of those persons who actually has wanted Erdrick / Roto for a long time, and despite the leak fueled boom, the arguments have stayed quite consistent on why Erdrick is a good pick, being basically the same as they were before the leaks, there are records of such conversations, with people sure DQ would be in Smash 4, for example, but it didn't happen, right? So its obvious things like Nintendo publishing the game don't guarantee, just hopeful notes for DQ being considered or arguments on why it should be considered, just like it happens for any other character... but its somehow a problem here.

Due to the position as the outsider, there is a constant suspicion and paranoia in the air, it is not uncommon for when someone presents a pro DQ point on 4chan or Twitter for people to answer with things like "Oh yeah, if sales mattered, wouldn't that also make Leon likely?" "Oh, you care about Nintendo presence, but what about Banjo Kazooie?" as if anyone supporting DQ was out to stomp and BTFO everyone else, the objective 'bad guys'.

Back to the perfect mix, its just a collection of points I care about when it comes to Smash picks. Yes, you can take each factor and say "Oh, but this one character didn't do this!" and you'd be right, if sales, historical relevance and Nintendo presence GUARANTEED we would have had Simon Belmont before Bayonetta. Doesn't make it wrong to want Simon or saying those three factors make Simon a perfect fit for smash? Nah.

However, by historical relevance, what most people are referring to is Dragon Quest III: Seeds of Salvation in which this game introduced the job/class system that is very much well known nowadays which would make it the granddaddy of most RPGs in that sense.

This is definitely NOTHING to sneeze at, as it broke Japan the day it was released and is the founder of a system now taken for granted and is nearly a requirement for the genre. However, there are some counterpoints to be brought up.
... What? I mean, yes, a customizable, exploitable job system was one of DQ3's differentials, but to limit it to that is wrong. DQ3 is often called 'the first JRPG' because of a series of important features and tone choices of the game. And yes, they matter, for example, Mother 1 is mechanically identical do DQ, especially the battles, however, if you say Mother 1 is some sort of DQ clone you are mad, the way it uses said mechanics is completely revolutionary. Similar arguments could be used for FF or Pokemon.

But back to DQ III, even when compared to DQ II, the difference is like night and day (and not only because III has one of the earliest examples of a proper day-night cycle in an RPG, beating Ultima to it). First two DQs are very much a mix of Ultima and Wizardry with great advancement in UI for consoles (copied by everything from Phantasy Star to Pokemon) and a few quaint details and a lighter tone for monsters, DQ III takes that and fully turn it in its own genre, departing fully from the ye old fantasy of Ultima to become its own thing. The tone of the game is a clashing of light things such as funny flavor text, finding special clothes (including a bikini) that actually change the appearance of your character, and quaint plotlines in towns contrasting with a darker context of a world besieged by demons, full of little and major tragedies. DQ had already innovated by focusing on a town-to-town pace, but DQ III is pretty much the earliest example you have of an episodic focus on the stories of such towns, no longer you are just wandering around hearing about where the shield of the hero is, instead, you are experiencing local stories that connect to the larger context. There is a reason why Miyamoto himself noticed the difference between DQ I and II versus DQ III and IV, noticing the later had better character interactions and truly nailed the feeling of adventure, even comparing it to 'fine wine'.

This means that Dragon Quest’s only claim to cultural impact, other than being huge in Japan, is that Dragon Quest III invented the first job/class system ever. That’s pretty big, but it’s only one criteria of a claim to fame and it was in 1988. Since then Dragon Quest hasn’t strayed from it’s formula (aside for graphical advances) for 31 years! It hasn’t tried anything new or risked anything to try and advance the RPG genre...it’s just stuck with the ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ method...which is one of the things that hurts it overseas, but that’s another topic. Essentially, the historical relevance is inventing what is now a common mechanic in RPGs and nothing else, while there are many others franchises out there that have done more to impact gaming.
Err, for someone who made a whole paragraph about how you can find out objectively bad games, you are too quick to jump to assumptions based on flawed research.

Saying Dragon Quest has stayed the same is like saying there is no difference between Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3. There is a massive difference, and yes, the series didn't turn into something else entirely, it never became another product, there is no Dragon Quest Nuts and Bolts instead of Dragon Quest III, and that is not an issue.

To say the series has not innovated is silly, there is a huge leap between DQ I and DQ III, or even between DQ III and DQ IV, with IV having a chapter system where you play different characters and having a full party with each character having their own unique personality, all that on an NES game. DQ V had the monster taming mechanic before Shin Megami Tensei and years before Pokemon, which yeah, is heavily DQ inspired, from puzzles to Ho-Oh's arrival cutscene. It was in the SNES era that they also added the concept of skills and such, another massive change to the series.

For a more recent example, DQ IX, the best selling third party of Nintendo's best selling console, absolutely took the social aspect of the DS to new limits, the DQ remakes for the DS and the many systems used in DQ IX were not only the new benchmark for new social systems in Japanese games, they were also what inspired the Street Pass system on the 3DS.

I will give you that DQ XI was a bit disappointing but it doesn't change history and its objectively wrong to say the series is the same as it was in 1.

Now let me address each of the 'anti-DQ' arguments really quick and your misconception of what each means.

First Argument

And you completely lost me. It isn't "He doesn’t need to be in a new game centered around him to be considered for Smash." which isn't wrong, but it's not what I meant.

The first one is a joke towards the mental gymnastics people make to say Erdrick hasn't been playable since 1988. Since he has had full remakes, ports, and is played in a spin-off. Its why most of what le funny man is saying is towards remakes and spin-offs not counting, even though nobody does that to other characters who come from series with no repeating protagonists (Red in particular...)

Also, keep in mind that DQ never repeats a protagonist. In 33 years, no protagonist has returned in a mainline game, outside of quick cameos at best, and even then, only two do that, IV's protagonist and Erdrick. Of all these protagonists, however, Erdrick is the one who is the most mentioned, both within Dragon Quest games, as well as outside, with constant Japanese pop culture references.

See, Dragon Quest as a narrative (as far as I can tell) has all taken place on the same ‘world’ or ‘kingdoms’, or better said the same exact setting with all the stories tying into the same narrative to be a long-running history of the world of the games.
Nope, it's actually the exact same as Final Fantasy, except DQ has a few shared worlds for the first six games there are two trilogies of shared worlds. The Zenith trilogy (4-6) and the... Erdrick Trilogy (1-3). There is also the concept of traveling between worlds, and some characters do appear in games outside of those, such as Lamia, from Dragon Quest III, in VIII, and Erdrick, from Dragon Quest III, in XI...

Noticing a pattern? III is the most referenced DQ, the design of the character classes you could recruit reappear a whole lot as NPCs, a lot of what DQ III did became standard to the series, and, of course, Erdrick is referenced a lot. DQ III is constantly voted the best DQ and Erdrick himself won a popularity poll in SE's own website. I could go on about how Erdrick is the centerpiece of most anniversary events and so on, but whatever.

Next, you have two clashing arguments, "Is Erdrick still relevant", while also trying to use DQ XI, which had ads with a kid playing classic DQ before, as an adult, playing XI, banked on Erdrick and DQ III nostalgia. It boggles my mind that people take SE using nostalgia bait and giving Luminary the Erdrick title means Erdrick is irrelevant. Like... what? The whole thing was calling back to DQ III, music from DQIII was re-used, the whole thing ends with an Erdrick cameo and the words "To be continued" which have not been used in Dragon Quest mainline since DQ III's iconic "To be continued in Dragon Quest I" yet people look at that (or, in factual terms, hear that from second-hand sources) and are like "yep, Erdrick is done for"

Like, if the next Mario and Luigi had SMRPG Music, a character called Yeno that was a wooden puppet and ended with a cameo of ♥♪!? himself, would you say Geno is done for? No, right, it would be a sign he is still relevant, or at the very least remembered.

Second Argument

People do say "I hate Erdrick because I want to be surprised." this means that if a character is obvious or leaked they are bad. I don't give a damn about leakers and have wished for Erdrick for a long time. That is all.

Third Argument

Now you may notice that I changed this argument from ‘2nd-most-selling-NES franchise’ to ‘one of the most popular NES franchises’ and there is a reason for that: technically, Dragon Quest is at best third or fourth because both Mario and Legend of Zelda are franchises that sold more on the NES.
Someone already answered why this one is wrong. Which you noted... and then said "quantity over quality!" and noted a bunch of games that sold more than DQ on the NES even though the only other third-party one was Ninja Turtles (which sold about as much as DQ3, but was bundled with NES consoles, so there is some discussion on whether that counts as third-party sales or not)

Like, be a bit more honest about the biases here, okay? It's obviously not an even ground. This is what I referred to in my Leon / Banjo example earlier in the thread. I don't want to be too antagonistic, but just imagine if instead of arguing about DQ I was saying Geno wasn't important to SMRPG / Wasn't even on the cover so Nintendo didn't care and people just remember about Mario or that at any claim SMRPG did very well I suddenly started talking about every other SNES RPG that sold well. I wouldn't do since I would like more SMRPG in Nintendo crossovers including Smash, but I were to do it, I wouldn't claim to be presenting just unbiased information.

And again, talking about the quality of games you haven't touched isn't the way to go, DQ I -> IV is a constant climb of quality and complexity, just because the game was released in rapid-fire sucession it doesn't mean it was bad, considering your profile picture, I would assume you are familiar with at least one other NES series that released a lot of sequels but was still great.

Fourth Argument

Sugiyama is an idiot and there is no denying that. Literally, there is no denial of that, I made that bit with the intent of making it clear that yes, he is an idiot who said idiotic stuff. I regret that my working on the first half came a bit euphemistic over his homophobia, however, this is an image about mental gymnastics, the mental gymnastics here is adding more bad stuff to him that isn't there.

In particular, this means the warping of it all in the "holocaust denier" lie, which has gone so far it has been even used in the context of Yuji Horii being a holocaust denier (!?). Like, call trash trash, but don't go making stuff up by saying its also radioactive.

Won't discuss the fifth one since we are in a similar wavelength, even if having different ideas about the conclusion. I don't mind characters that aren't well known. I don't mind characters that only the west likes. I don't mind characters that only Japan likes. To me, Smash is becoming too much about the hype and the epic reveals.

And I guess this is it, any other point has been touched by others or is something about leaks and the likes which aren't relevant to me

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Uhm. Hi. I am the one who made that image. No proof of that which I can provide, it was done in college and posted to 4chan and facebook, didn't bother saving the editable Fireworks PNG because I was about to leave smash discussion in general as well as 4chan (which would have resulted in it being lost later anyway as I deleted my whole folder)

I was pretty distressed with the increasingly reactionary and paranoid behavior of the Smash community way before the Erdrick leak, when said leak happened, however, those bad tendencies had suddenly reached my favorite series, and to me, that was the last straw. After trying to fight back against the stream of misinformation, I just got tired, too many issues with studies and health to add extra stress to my life.

Yet here I am. When a friend messaged me this I was really not going to reply, though seeing the replies talking about "how in depth and on point" the post was convinced me to give it a go, because, sincerely, there are a lot of flaws here. A major issue would have been that you misunderstood the whole point of the image, but that is minor in the face of the misinformation on DQ that is presented here, this is the sort of stuff that can hurt the fanbase for years to come if it spreads.

I disliked the pedantic and mislead focus on 'perfect' here. It was a simple use of perfect as an adjective, not some platonic ideal concept, English is not my native tongue but I checked the dictionaries and it seemed the way I used it is common.

The big problem here is that you somehow take this meme as an "Erdrick is Guaranteed". I don't know how your discord friends use this, but while analyzing this for one week, didn't it strike you at any moment that the meme doesn't deal with leaks and the like? None of the characters are saying anything about leaks, datamines, and the like? No one is saying "OH THIS CHARACTER HAS A SECONDARY FORM CALLED BRAVE, HE IS CODENAME BRAVE"? That is intentional, because... this image isn't about Erdrick being a guaranteed pick, because he isn't. It's about why I think he is a good and legitimate pick, in face of the community trying to paint DQ as illegitimate, its why all the points in the image are related to quality, not likehood.

See, I am one of those persons who actually has wanted Erdrick / Roto for a long time, and despite the leak fueled boom, the arguments have stayed quite consistent on why Erdrick is a good pick, being basically the same as they were before the leaks, there are records of such conversations, with people sure DQ would be in Smash 4, for example, but it didn't happen, right? So its obvious things like Nintendo publishing the game don't guarantee, just hopeful notes for DQ being considered or arguments on why it should be considered, just like it happens for any other character... but its somehow a problem here.

Due to the position as the outsider, there is a constant suspicion and paranoia in the air, it is not uncommon for when someone presents a pro DQ point on 4chan or Twitter for people to answer with things like "Oh yeah, if sales mattered, wouldn't that also make Leon likely?" "Oh, you care about Nintendo presence, but what about Banjo Kazooie?" as if anyone supporting DQ was out to stomp and BTFO everyone else, the objective 'bad guys'.

Back to the perfect mix, its just a collection of points I care about when it comes to Smash picks. Yes, you can take each factor and say "Oh, but this one character didn't do this!" and you'd be right, if sales, historical relevance and Nintendo presence GUARANTEED we would have had Simon Belmont before Bayonetta. Doesn't make it wrong to want Simon or saying those three factors make Simon a perfect fit for smash? Nah.

... What? I mean, yes, a customizable, exploitable job system was one of DQ3's differentials, but to limit it to that is wrong. DQ3 is often called 'the first JRPG' because of a series of important features and tone choices of the game. And yes, they matter, for example, Mother 1 is mechanically identical do DQ, especially the battles, however, if you say Mother 1 is some sort of DQ clone you are mad, the way it uses said mechanics is completely revolutionary. Similar arguments could be used for FF or Pokemon.

But back to DQ III, even when compared to DQ II, the difference is like night and day (and not only because III has one of the earliest examples of a proper day-night cycle in an RPG, beating Ultima to it). First two DQs are very much a mix of Ultima and Wizardry with great advancement in UI for consoles (copied by everything from Phantasy Star to Pokemon) and a few quaint details and a lighter tone for monsters, DQ III takes that and fully turn it in its own genre, departing fully from the ye old fantasy of Ultima to become its own thing. The tone of the game is a clashing of light things such as funny flavor text, finding special clothes (including a bikini) that actually change the appearance of your character, and quaint plotlines in towns contrasting with a darker context of a world besieged by demons, full of little and major tragedies. DQ had already innovated by focusing on a town-to-town pace, but DQ III is pretty much the earliest example you have of an episodic focus on the stories of such towns, no longer you are just wandering around hearing about where the shield of the hero is, instead, you are experiencing local stories that connect to the larger context. There is a reason why Miyamoto himself noticed the difference between DQ I and II versus DQ III and IV, noticing the later had better character interactions and truly nailed the feeling of adventure, even comparing it to 'fine wine'.

Err, for someone who made a whole paragraph about how you can find out objectively bad games, you are too quick to jump to assumptions based on flawed research.

Saying Dragon Quest has stayed the same is like saying there is no difference between Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3. There is a massive difference, and yes, the series didn't turn into something else entirely, it never became another product, there is no Dragon Quest Nuts and Bolts instead of Dragon Quest III, and that is not an issue.

To say the series has not innovated is silly, there is a huge leap between DQ I and DQ III, or even between DQ III and DQ IV, with IV having a chapter system where you play different characters and having a full party with each character having their own unique personality, all that on an NES game. DQ V had the monster taming mechanic before Shin Megami Tensei and years before Pokemon, which yeah, is heavily DQ inspired, from puzzles to Ho-Oh's arrival cutscene. It was in the SNES era that they also added the concept of skills and such, another massive change to the series.

For a more recent example, DQ IX, the best selling third party of Nintendo's best selling console, absolutely took the social aspect of the DS to new limits, the DQ remakes for the DS and the many systems used in DQ IX were not only the new benchmark for new social systems in Japanese games, they were also what inspired the Street Pass system on the 3DS.

I will give you that DQ XI was a bit disappointing but it doesn't change history and its objectively wrong to say the series is the same as it was in 1.

Now let me address each of the 'anti-DQ' arguments really quick and your misconception of what each means.

First Argument

And you completely lost me. It isn't "He doesn’t need to be in a new game centered around him to be considered for Smash." which isn't wrong, but it's not what I meant.

The first one is a joke towards the mental gymnastics people make to say Erdrick hasn't been playable since 1988. Since he has had full remakes, ports, and is played in a spin-off. Its why most of what le funny man is saying is towards remakes and spin-offs not counting, even though nobody does that to other characters who come from series with no repeating protagonists (Red in particular...)

Also, keep in mind that DQ never repeats a protagonist. In 33 years, no protagonist has returned in a mainline game, outside of quick cameos at best, and even then, only two do that, IV's protagonist and Erdrick. Of all these protagonists, however, Erdrick is the one who is the most mentioned, both within Dragon Quest games, as well as outside, with constant Japanese pop culture references.

Nope, it's actually the exact same as Final Fantasy, except DQ has a few shared worlds for the first six games there are two trilogies of shared worlds. The Zenith trilogy (4-6) and the... Erdrick Trilogy (1-3). There is also the concept of traveling between worlds, and some characters do appear in games outside of those, such as Lamia, from Dragon Quest III, in VIII, and Erdrick, from Dragon Quest III, in XI...

Noticing a pattern? III is the most referenced DQ, the design of the character classes you could recruit reappear a whole lot as NPCs, a lot of what DQ III did became standard to the series, and, of course, Erdrick is referenced a lot. DQ III is constantly voted the best DQ and Erdrick himself won a popularity poll in SE's own website. I could go on about how Erdrick is the centerpiece of most anniversary events and so on, but whatever.

Next, you have two clashing arguments, "Is Erdrick still relevant", while also trying to use DQ XI, which had ads with a kid playing classic DQ before, as an adult, playing XI, banked on Erdrick and DQ III nostalgia. It boggles my mind that people take SE using nostalgia bait and giving Luminary the Erdrick title means Erdrick is irrelevant. Like... what? The whole thing was calling back to DQ III, music from DQIII was re-used, the whole thing ends with an Erdrick cameo and the words "To be continued" which have not been used in Dragon Quest mainline since DQ III's iconic "To be continued in Dragon Quest I" yet people look at that (or, in factual terms, hear that from second-hand sources) and are like "yep, Erdrick is done for"

Like, if the next Mario and Luigi had SMRPG Music, a character called Yeno that was a wooden puppet and ended with a cameo of ♥♪!? himself, would you say Geno is done for? No, right, it would be a sign he is still relevant, or at the very least remembered.

Second Argument

People do say "I hate Erdrick because I want to be surprised." this means that if a character is obvious or leaked they are bad. I don't give a damn about leakers and have wished for Erdrick for a long time. That is all.

Third Argument

Someone already answered why this one is wrong. Which you noted... and then said "quantity over quality!" and noted a bunch of games that sold more than DQ on the NES even though the only other third-party one was Ninja Turtles (which sold about as much as DQ3, but was bundled with NES consoles, so there is some discussion on whether that counts as third-party sales or not)

Like, be a bit more honest about the biases here, okay? It's obviously not an even ground. This is what I referred to in my Leon / Banjo example earlier in the thread. I don't want to be too antagonistic, but just imagine if instead of arguing about DQ I was saying Geno wasn't important to SMRPG / Wasn't even on the cover so Nintendo didn't care and people just remember about Mario or that at any claim SMRPG did very well I suddenly started talking about every other SNES RPG that sold well. I wouldn't do since I would like more SMRPG in Nintendo crossovers including Smash, but I were to do it, I wouldn't claim to be presenting just unbiased information.

And again, talking about the quality of games you haven't touched isn't the way to go, DQ I -> IV is a constant climb of quality and complexity, just because the game was released in rapid-fire sucession it doesn't mean it was bad, considering your profile picture, I would assume you are familiar with at least one other NES series that released a lot of sequels but was still great.

Fourth Argument

Sugiyama is an idiot and there is no denying that. Literally, there is no denial of that, I made that bit with the intent of making it clear that yes, he is an idiot who said idiotic stuff. I regret that my working on the first half came a bit euphemistic over his homophobia, however, this is an image about mental gymnastics, the mental gymnastics here is adding more bad stuff to him that isn't there.

In particular, this means the warping of it all in the "holocaust denier" lie, which has gone so far it has been even used in the context of Yuji Horii being a holocaust denier (!?). Like, call trash trash, but don't go making stuff up by saying its also radioactive.

Won't discuss the fifth one since we are in a similar wavelength, even if having different ideas about the conclusion. I don't mind characters that aren't well known. I don't mind characters that only the west likes. I don't mind characters that only Japan likes. To me, Smash is becoming too much about the hype and the epic reveals.

And I guess this is it, any other point has been touched by others or is something about leaks and the likes which aren't relevant to me
I'm neutral on the whole thing and have been too unwell to give proper say to ForsakenM ForsakenM 's document yet, let alone this response, but I'll go on record to say that it's nice to see the perspective of the other side of the spectrum here, too. I honestly think DQ is way overdue for Smash, anyhow. If there's a time to get it into Smash in some way, it's now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

First Argument

Second Argument

Third Argument

Fourth Argument

Completely agree with this post, and I'd like to add that I love that Mental Gymnastics image, so kudos to you, sir.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I’m
To me it feels like you're talking with an image you've made of me, because there's more to me, as well as what I'm talking about, but you miss it because you or your mind makes up all these assumptions about what im saying. If you really did want to understand, then you would be open to there being more to grasp, but instead you just stop at your thought that you think you know what I mean and that's that. No matter what I say there's no openness, so I dont think i'd be able to get a point across anyway. which is why I'd rather take any talk with someone else, if it comes up.
Like I’ve said now for the third or fourth time I think: I’m just responding to what you’re putting out there. I’ve read the words that you said now and have in the past as well. It’s not too hard to see where you’re coming from. I just think the the logic you’re operating under is flawed. Im open to the fact that Erdrick could possibly be the SE FP character. I just don’t think the information put forth to support that conclusion is as strong as you obviously do. And I think that’s the biggest issue that is going on here. I’m not going to pretend that I think something is great or a good idea if I don’t think it is, and you do not like that. So like I said: I am ok with us not discussing this further.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I’m

Like I’ve said now for the third or fourth time I think: I’m just responding to what you’re putting out there. I’ve read the words that you said now and have in the past as well. It’s not too hard to see where you’re coming from. I just think the the logic you’re operating under is flawed. Im open to the fact that Erdrick could possibly be the SE FP character. I just don’t think the information put forth to support that conclusion is as strong as you obviously do. And I think that’s the biggest issue that is going on here. I’m not going to pretend that I think something is great or a good idea if I don’t think it is, and you do not like that. So like I said: I am ok with us not discussing this further.
Edit: Nvm. Even if there's some things i can say, I'd rather not continue. Leave it be if you can.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1126456787773771776?s=20 The E3 Nintendo Direct time has been officially announced! Our journey is almost over
The schedule's been known for a while. But i guess it doesnt hurt to see it from them. Nintendo's on the 11th, and then there's treehouse stuff in the next days.
The 8th is for those tournaments. I wonder if there could be announcements there too.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Since I don't feel like I'm at any kind of liberty to touch the DQ and Erdrick situation beyond being skeptical and uncertain about leaks...

You know, Geno's had it really rough when it comes to Ultimate. His costume got a highlight and splash screen for Sm4sh, and he was the only Mii costume to get that. Other Mii costumes from Sm4sh like K. Rool and Isabelle got upgraded, and they didn't receive the same fan fare Geno's did. It made it seem clear: If these two characters with consolation costumes got in, the one with the biggest Mii costume fan fare is surely on the table now, right?

He doesn't make it to base game, and while I'd say that isn't surprising, what does floor me is that he somehow has a likeness in the base game anyway: a spirit. I'm amazed they managed to get that much... but that's about the only positive thing I can say. Apart from his and Mallow's PNGs in the game, he's left with nothing. Chances are, the Mii costume is going to return, and it's going to be with muted or no fan fare at all compared to the Square rep we do get (unless, by some miracle, Geno gets in). On top of that, we have to pay for it all over again. Despite Yoko Shimomura being on the team, we have no SMRPG music in the game, and her indie usage of those tunes + remixes of them in M&L proves that usage of the music is not at all difficult. There are some cute SMRPG nods and Geno's spirit is shown off multiple times, both in main memus, videos, and official Switch news posts.

... aaaaaand that's it. Compared to the costume in the last game, it's all so, so muted. If Geno misses the boat again, and there is literally nothing more to show for it apart from, "Well, unlike last time, he has a PNG!" then that's going to be just sad. If Geno doesn't get in, I hope they revamp and add more to his Mii costume as compensation, maybe even retroactively adding SMRPG music and more SMRPG spirits. Apart from that, I really, REALLY hope he reappears in his main series. I'm of the unpopular opinion that he should be in the main series again first anyway.

What do you all think of Geno's chances to reappear outside of Smash? I'd say AlphaDream is our best bet, but even then, it's nothing to be sure about, given the copyright hell he's in. Then again, the fact that he got licensed out for the Super Mario Kun segment, the SMRPG re-released on the SNES Classic, and Smash Ultimate makes me think that Square's at least somewhat willing to loosen their grip on him now. Along with that, it shows Nintendo is at least still interested. The thing is, for how long will they be? Will they just give us these SMRPG nods and the costume again in Ultimate, only for us to not see Geno in any form again for another decade, if ever?

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what they have planned for our boy, if anything. It makes me think, "Maybe they thought the Mii costume was enough, and now there's no need to bring him back otherwise ever again?" I dunno, man.

What I do know is this is definitely fan project inspiration, and to that, I support any and all fan projects that may happen, even the ones that aren't so legal, because it's not like they've shown much desire to profit off of Geno and Mallow anyway.

D

Deleted member

I know I keep repeating this, but I'm pretty confident that Geno will be in and I don't think it's more likely that we'll get the Mii costume.

And even for the Mii costume, I don't think it's returning. I think either we get nothing or Geno is playable, and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since I don't feel like I'm at any kind of liberty to touch the DQ and Erdrick situation beyond being skeptical and uncertain about leaks...

You know, Geno's had it really rough when it comes to Ultimate. His costume got a highlight and splash screen for Sm4sh, and he was the only Mii costume to get that. Other Mii costumes from Sm4sh like K. Rool and Isabelle got upgraded, and they didn't receive the same fan fare Geno's did. It made it seem clear: If these two characters with consolation costumes got in, the one with the biggest Mii costume fan fare is surely on the table now, right?

He doesn't make it to base game, and while I'd say that isn't surprising, what does floor me is that he somehow has a likeness in the base game anyway: a spirit. I'm amazed they managed to get that much... but that's about the only positive thing I can say. Apart from his and Mallow's PNGs in the game, he's left with nothing. Chances are, the Mii costume is going to return, and it's going to be with muted or no fan fare at all compared to the Square rep we do get (unless, by some miracle, Geno gets in). On top of that, we have to pay for it all over again. Despite Yoko Shimomura being on the team, we have no SMRPG music in the game, and her indie usage of those tunes + remixes of them in M&L proves that usage of the music is not at all difficult. There are some cute SMRPG nods and Geno's spirit is shown off multiple times, both in main memus, videos, and official Switch news posts.

... aaaaaand that's it. Compared to the costume in the last game, it's all so, so muted. If Geno misses the boat again, and there is literally nothing more to show for it apart from, "Well, unlike last time, he has a PNG!" then that's going to be just sad. If Geno doesn't get in, I hope they revamp and add more to his Mii costume as compensation, maybe even retroactively adding SMRPG music and more SMRPG spirits. Apart from that, I really, REALLY hope he reappears in his main series. I'm of the unpopular opinion that he should be in the main series again first anyway.

What do you all think of Geno's chances to reappear outside of Smash? I'd say AlphaDream is our best bet, but even then, it's nothing to be sure about, given the copyright hell he's in. Then again, the fact that he got licensed out for the Super Mario Kun segment, the SMRPG re-released on the SNES Classic, and Smash Ultimate makes me think that Square's at least somewhat willing to loosen their grip on him now. Along with that, it shows Nintendo is at least still interested. The thing is, for how long will they be? Will they just give us these SMRPG nods and the costume again in Ultimate, only for us to not see Geno in any form again for another decade, if ever?

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what they have planned for our boy, if anything. It makes me think, "Maybe they thought the Mii costume was enough, and now there's no need to bring him back otherwise ever again?" I dunno, man.

What I do know is this is definitely fan project inspiration, and to that, I support any and all fan projects that may happen, even the ones that aren't so legal, because it's not like they've shown much desire to profit off of Geno and Mallow anyway.
You know, it wouldn't be that bad if geno was in more fan projects and games. He could live on in the hearts of people regardless of SE.

I dont know what geno's chances are to get in now, but they're def not 0.

If everyone can wait for a SE rep to get in, nintendo will probably release the costumes and we'll be able to see if he's there or not. I know it sucks that the splash screen and the promotions felt like dangling him to be a fighter, and I hope that every geno fan gets to heal that pain if he doesnt get in, one way or another. I know it sucks, but life isn't always going perfect, and you make the best of it as you can.

Here's an idea I had, that while i dont expect it, I think it could've been at least something more than a mii costume (it might've been mentioned before, dunno); making geno into an echo fighter of a mii gunner. It would take way less time, and they could still polish the model so that it looks really good. Change some moves to have geno beam and the other stuff, and it could feel alright. Bonus echo fighter.

Anyway, and then there's possible future waves of dlc.
Or, just give up and move on. Nah, but breaks help sometimes. In the end smash is just a game too ;)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here's an idea I had, that while i dont expect it, I think it could've been at least something more than a mii costume (it might've been mentioned before, dunno); making geno into an echo fighter of a mii gunner. It would take way less time, and they could still polish the model so that it looks really good. Change some moves to have geno beam and the other stuff, and it could feel alright. Bonus echo fighter.
I know a lot of people would proooobably not be happy with that, but holy hell, I'd love it. After all, it'd at least still be Geno. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I think a reappearance of Geno in the Mario RPG series is the best shot of him being brought back or at least the most fitting. I mean maybe they could use him for a sports or mario kart game too, but outside of Smash I agree it's the best spot for him and would allow newer fans to see him shown off and utilize his classic abilities. I think the most important thing is pressing Nintendo for a Geno reappearance in both Smash and elsewhere. The more people speak up and don't see his non-inclusion in SSBU (if that's what happens) as the end of the line the better. I think the absolutely worst thing would be if people give up on him entirely after all this time. I think the pro-Geno support and hype can easily drown out the anti-Geno hate. Because that to me feels like a fad/cool thing to do now for e-points than anything else. If we as Genofans keep hope and hype alive I think it will eventually get the message across. I think fan projects are key. I think fanart is key. Whatever people can do to show Nintendo there is a strong desire to see the character again. Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been anything organized for the SMRPG anniversary that falls on monday. Even if Nintendo doesn't officially say anything I think people should bombard their social media posts about Geno and SMRPG in general to show them there's a lot of love there.

Or, just give up and move on. Nah, but breaks help sometimes.
That would unironically be the worst thing people could do if they actually want him to make a comeback.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh and Geno being an echo of Mii gunner doesn't work. His moves are Geno beam, Geno boost, Geno whirl, Geno blast, and Geno flash, and he can use his weapons like the star gun and finger shot as his physical attacks and aerials.

If he gets in, it's as a unique character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh and Geno being an echo of Mii gunner doesn't work. His moves are Geno beam, Geno boost, Geno whirl, Geno blast, and Geno flash, and he can use his weapons like the star gun and finger shot as his physical attacks and aerials.

If he gets in, it's as a unique character.
All the specials can be changed, I mentioned adding geno beam. And a bit of other things can be changed too, like Ken, even adding finger shots and other animations.

Or a semi-clone like Isabelle, but im not as a fan of that because if they make a unique fighter, i'd rather everything be unique.

D

Deleted member

All the specials can be changed, I mentioned adding geno beam. And a bit of other things can be changed too, like Ken, even adding finger shots and other animations.

Or a semi-clone like Isabelle, but im not as a fan of that because if they make a unique fighter, i'd rather everything be unique.
At that point, you'd have to change too much for him to be an echo and his specials would work far differently from that of Mii gunner's anyway. Not to mention Mii gunner and Geno are from different series so it wouldn't make any sense for him to be an echo.

Just because he uses a gun doesn't mean he would be an echo of another character who also uses a gun. It would be like if Erdrick or Lloyd or Dunban were suggested as a Mii swordfighter echo just because they have swords. The only thing in common Geno and Mii gunner have is that they both use guns. That's it, and it's not enough to warrant them being an echo at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Holy ****, apparently this was a big enough deal to get the creator of the template-changed image here. I really don't see why, as it's just an opinion piece that points out the flaws of the argument that the image presents along with some other common arguments not related to the image, but I guess it was a big enough deal to you.

Crazy days, crazy days.

Also, uh, hi I guess? This is probably the closest I'll ever get to meeting any sort of celebrity so I suppose I'll bask in the moment.

Oh and hell yeah, I'm diving into this response. I'll keep in in a spoiler just in case there is something personal in here or something like that, not that that makes any sense but whatever: the notion was to be respectful.

Okay so just because YOU consider this a meme and YOU think you used the term 'perfect' in a proper manner doesn't mean others will take it that way. You could just as easily made an image listing all the reasons you think Erdrick is a good pick, but instead you took an image template that is known to be controversial and made your argument the one that is represented as 'correct' or 'logical' by have the part of the image that represents that positively as your argument and then all the arguments that disagree and bring up good counterpoints you not only put them in the part of the image that is represented as 'incorrect' or 'illogical' but you also framed the arguments in a manner that doesn't properly represent them and, in some cases, made them a mockery.

In my eyes, as I said with another image template that I find controversial in that very post, this is an image that improperly represents both the Pro-Erdrick arguments and the anti-Erdrick arguments. It bothered me that people still hold onto the same information that has proven to be shaky at best as some sort of proof of the character's inclusion. So I decided to use this image as a muse for part of my post. It's as simple as that.

Hopefully I've understood where you are going with this. If not, feel free to correct me.

So, that's cool that you have been a fan of the character for a while. I get that and acknowledge that there were fans of the character who wanted him in Smash long before he became that hot talk of the town. Being a Geno fan since I played the game and wanting him in Smash since Melee with a reignited desire during Brawl, I know what it's like to want a character way before they become a mainstream desire. Once again, it's not that you have arguments that are in favor of Erdrick, it's how they were represented in that image. If you noticed, I pulled out arguments to support Erdrick in my post and acknowledged them. I have no issue with you having notes of things that could support your character, that would be hypocritical of me as I do it for the character I want all the time.

My issue is with how the image presents it that the arguments and things that support Erdrick are 'correct and logical' but those that do not support him are 'incorrect and illogical' because not only does that put the supportive things on a pedestal so high that it makes it seem infallible but is misrepresents the counterarguments that keep the idea of Erdrick being a lock in balance.

On that second part, I can easily explain that: welcome to the Smash Speculation Scene! If you have points for your character and you publicly state them, you will have people who show up and try to dismantle them. Some people will be civil and some won't. Some will try to say that their character applies better than yours and while it's not very fair of them to do so, this is what happens when a game this big has open/unknown character slots and everyone is invested in seeing their favorite get their time to shine.

Now as to why Erdrick is such a big topic here? Well, this is the Geno thread. If you know anything about Geno, you'll know he belongs to the same company as Erdrick: Square Enix. This means that if Squeenix gets a new character, Erdrick is a wall for Geno in just about every way possible. In fact a good share of us here have given up on our character's chances because Erdrick is possible and has a lot more going for them, expecting Geno's Mii Costume to appear with the announcement of Erdrick as the next Fighter's Pass character. This is why we talk about him so often, and this is why some like myself often combat points and arguments brought up about him because not only is there that kind of competition between characters, but MAINLY because so many people think Erdrick is already in the game 100% based off arguments that guarantee nothing. My goal is for everyone to know the actual points and know what is true and what is just a possibility, what is set in stone and what is floating on the breeze aimless and unsure, and the fact is many of the reasons people find Erdrick to be a 100% already in the game just not announced yet are thing that guarantee nothing.

Hopefully that explains things better.

I addressed this already, but to put it more simply, we have no problem with points being listed. My issue was how one argument was being presented as better and more logical than others, to the point of suggesting one was right and the others were wrong. This may be due to you using that image template without understanding what mental gymnastics are. In today's society, mental gymnastics is not a positive thing.

The modern use of the term Mental Gymnastics is forging inventive and complex arguments used to justify what is otherwise unjustifiable. Basically it's making up **** as you go, regardless if it makes sense or has anything to do with the actual conversation, in an effort to justify your point out of desperation or lack of knowledge on the subject itself. When you display that the argument that 'Dragon Quest/Erdrick has the perfect balance of things to get into Smash' as the argument that takes no leaps in logic and then proceed to list counterarguments in a way that not only misrepresents them but also suggests that they fall under the negative term of 'Mental Gymnastics' then yo are suggesting that your argument is more logical and thus correct when in reality this isn't true.

Okay so I get that DQ3 was revolutionary. Everyone gets that. It defined the pathway for most J/RPGs down the line. Seemingly, it did that with more things than just the class/job feature, though I would argue that it's still the addition of such a feature that DQ3 is mostly recognized for. However, facts are that it wasn't the first JRPG or RPG, as it's original influence was from that of RPGs in the West that already existed. DQ3 has no claim to anything besides laying down the foundation, which in my opinion is plenty of justification for inclusion due to cultural impact alone as clearly, some of that trickled into the West.

Also I didn't include things like impacting Mother and Pokemon because I linked to documents that went into detail on the references in other games. My focus was the arguments being made in the image, not breaking down the entire history of Dragon Quest (to which I very nearly did anyway) bit by bit to show every little single thing about it. It's why I simplified statements that can easily refer to the things you have listed thus far to be a far-reaching blanket to encompass the idea that Dragon Quest III had a lot of impact back in the day and still has some now.

It's funny, because I figured listing out the positives with the negatives would help balance out the potential backlash, but apparently I wasn't big enough on the positives.

Just as a little jest that has some relevance here, you mentioned DQ III again, DQIV, and DQ V and then DQIX and DQXI. Barring the first two DQ games, there are some gaps here you didn't mention. What happened to those? Nothing to write home about?

Back to the base argument here, you misunderstand me: they haven't done much to shake up the formula since apparently DQV since that was when monster taming was an added feature. The things you mention with social systems don't have that much to do with base gameplay formula. Dragon Quest is good at telling a story and not breaking from the mold to do so, but with all the RPG series that shake up the formula in one way or another combined with Dragon Quest being mostly poorly advertised and poorly ported to the West, it has never been amazingly big here until DQXI.

First Argument

H-hey guys? Remember all those people arguing that Erdrick isn't even liked all that much in Japan? That argument still holds , r-right? ....RIGHT?!

In all seriousness though, I get that you were trying to make a joke out of the common counterarguments, but it could have been done in a better way that didn't make it look like YOUR argument was the correct one. No one who has a serious argument to be had is saying that remakes, ports, and spin-offs do not count: the idea that his presence is still around even after 31 years is a big deal. I was simply agreeing with your point while also suggesting that getting a HD-remake of DQ3 or a brand-new game focusing on the same protagonist from DQ3 would really be a boosting sign of his chances.

Jesus, he's goddamn EVERYWHERE! He's like a pest gone out of control. SOMEONE CALL THE JAPANESE EQUIVALENT OF THE ORKIN MAN!

Still, I think an argument being made for the game being popular and not the character. You can reference a game be using the most iconic figure from it even if you don't particularly like that figure but you do like the game. However, I guess we can't really know until we get another poll where Japanese smash fans vote for the characters they WANT instead of who they expect to see.

Okay, so if it isn't clear by now, I've never played a Dragon Quest game outside of Dragon Warrior Monsters on the Gameboy and like a smidgen of one of the retro ones on an emulator (I think it was DQIV, not sure since it was still 'Dragon Warrior'). By not being as invested in the series, there will be things I missed during research, and this DQXI commercial is one of those things and being unfamiliar with the world is another.

Yes yes, I've been beaten over the head now with proof that DQ3 is still relevant in Japan at the very least. I never is it wasn't. The question was if it was relevant enough, and clearly it is. However, no one is saying 'Erdrick is done for' because of Luminary getting his title. The actual argument is that there is more than one Erdrick, and due to this, they have to pick one of them. Now it's made clear to me that if they are going just based on Japan, it would be DQ3 Erdrick, no contest. However, the American and Western audiences still do not have that wide-spread relevance of the character. With Luminary presumably being the one to get DQ3 Erdrick's famous sword years before him, having the title 'Erdrick' years before him, and wielding his shield years before him...this could make him like an ancestor in some way to DQ3 Erdrick. However, you mentioned that the worlds haven't been the same since DQIV through DQVI, so it could be it's own separate story rather than a sort of prequel explaining how Erdrick's sword and shield were found.

However, Luminary is known better by Western audiences because of this recent release and could easily be the pick to make for current relevancy in both the East and the West.

I think most people would be pissed that they couldn't play as Geno and felt like their nostalgia was being abused as they were strung along, but yes we would be happy that Geno was referenced in some form in a new SMRPG game. However, does this mean that "Yeno" would have a chance and a fanbase for Smash? There is some nuance with Erdrick and Luminary that doesn't exist in your example here, but your point was made so I'm fine with it.

Luminary is still a likely pick for DQ for Smash despite me thinking that Erdrick would be the pick to go with here.

Here is an interesting tidbit: Vergeben's own words bring new meaning to this argument. Now of course I don't believe anything he has said about post-launch Ultimate and I encourage people not to trust the word of leakers without hard evidence, but it's interesting nonetheless. Vergeben said that, with the list of seven Square Enix reps, he heard Erdrick the most...and whenever he heard Erdrick, he heard Luminary as well. Now most took that as Luminary being an alternate, but what if he heard that because in DQXI Luminary is also Erdrick, and it was just because they were using alternate titles for the same character...thus suggesting that Luminary from DQXI would be the Square rep?

Nothing concrete at all to be sure, but an interesting thought to be had.

Second Argument
Who the hell says this? If they heard a character is 'leaked' and think that means this character is 100% in and it ruins the surprise for them, that's on them, and frankly they have a simple mindset. In games like MKX where they reveal all the characters at once before they are released, there is still excitement to be had: what moves will they have, what will their super be like, what will their finisher look like, what will their alternate colors and skins look like, what will the sound like, what will the feel like?

All those questions are viable whether the character is known or not, and in our case the character isn't known despite what SOME people may have you think. Feel free to let people who think that know exactly what I said: that they are simple. Hell, let them know I said it and let them come after me. I got fast hands and big shoulders, I can take them on!

What a stupid mindset to have, jesus.

Third Argument

Oof, I'm getting exposed! Is this the time where I point out I've never played a single Megaman game other than one for the Gameboy and some random one on PS2? Oh, and I played Battle Network. God I love Battle Network.
Back on track here, I honestly should have used our little Pac-Man emoji that is our little inside way of showing sarcasm (":4pacman:" for reference) but I didn't and I guess that's on me. Obviously I cannot judge the quality of games I've never played and I already knew that DQ3 is a really good game for it's era, so I figured that the joke would be obvious. Then again, people who judge games they've never played exist, so once again I'll take the bullet in regards to not making it obvious.

I don't like that you assume I have a bias against Dragon Quest: I can't possibly have a bias against it, as I've never really played a game in the franchise. I'm not some normie who thinks it's okay to label something because someone else said it was bad or good. Video games are a unique medium in which you can't judge it would playing because of have interactive it is, unlike movies and books and music of which you don;t have to experience the whole thing to know if it's quality or not. If anything, it has shaped RPGs I love like Pokemon in a positive way, so I doubt I could hold anything against it.

About Geno not being important to SMRPG...well, people make that argument already, DX. I'm starting to see that more and more people make stupid and uninformed arguments. My intention was to purely show that Dragon Quest just BARELY hold the second-place title on NES and that it almost wasn't fair due to the number of releases, but I admit that I was wrong on the numbers: my original math wasn't collective, only individual. However, the fact that individually the most influential Dragon Quest game ever only made 12th interests me. I want to know why that is. I'd suggest that it was because the West had little interest in J/RPGS at the time, but I truly do not know why it didn't sell more.

Fourth Argument

So I want to be clear: no where does it say that he denies the Holocaust. I should have been more specific on this: apparently it has been reported that he denies Japanese War crimes. This is some heavy stuff and I don't want to bog down the thread with it, but stuff that we all know happened he tries to deny like it ever did. People have a problem with that, and I think that's justified. I have nothing on Yuji Horii though and I would never claim anything about him other than he is the mind behind Dragon Quest.

He still made one of the most iconic themes in gaming history though. Good and bad, people are both. Nothing much else to say here.

I agree here: in UMVC3, Rocket Raccoon was a forgotten character and Dr. Strange was much less known than he was in the past, and I was excited for both. If Erdrick gets in, I want to see how he plays. That is the most important part in all honesty, minus the character pick themselves. I just don't agree with this 'Erdrick is the most likely to be Brave' or 'Erdrick is the front-runner for Square Enix rep' and 'Erdrick is 1005 a lock, just move on to character #3' crap that flies around when we literally know nothing.

However, here is what I will say: I think Erdrick from Dragon Quest III: Seeds of Salvation is the most likely and, in my opinion, the best choice for a Dragon Quest rep. So, if we do end up getting a Dragon Quest rep, I hope the pick Erdrick. However, when arguing for a 'Square Enix' rep, I stand by Sora being the most likely choice and Geno being what I want.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At that point, you'd have to change too much for him to be an echo and his specials would work far differently from that of Mii gunner's anyway. Not to mention Mii gunner and Geno are from different series so it wouldn't make any sense for him to be an echo.

Just because he uses a gun doesn't mean he would be an echo of another character who also uses a gun. It would be like if Erdrick or Lloyd or Dunban were suggested as a Mii swordfighter echo just because they have swords. The only thing in common Geno and Mii gunner have is that they both use guns. That's it, and it's not enough to warrant them being an echo at all.
Hey I was just giving an idea for if they didn't want to spend full resources on him. If you want him unique or no geno at all then fine, but having a full fledged model would be better than just a mii costume, is all im saying.
Changing specials isn't uncommon, it'd just be like adding a new set of moves. I'm not attached to the idea, just saying doing that'd be better than only a mii costume. The height would be about right, unlike those other characters you mentioned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey I was just giving an idea for if they didn't want to spend full resources on him. If you want him unique or no geno at all then fine, but having a full fledged model would be better than just a mii costume, is all im saying.
Changing specials isn't uncommon, it'd just be like adding a new set of moves. I'm not attached to the idea, just saying doing that'd be better than only a mii costume. The height would be about right, unlike those other characters you mentioned.
Yeah, I will say it would be better than the Mii costume, but it wouldn't work at all.

And specials are only changed slightly to give a small detail to that character. Geno's specials and Mii swordfighter's specials would work far too differently and they would have to completely change the move to be echos.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I will say it would be better than the Mii costume, but it wouldn't work at all.

And specials are only changed slightly to give a small detail to that character. Geno's specials and Mii swordfighter's specials would work far too differently and they would have to completely change the move to be echos.
It could work, just not be a perfect representation. And changing to have 2 or 3 completely new specials still takes less time than a complete re-haul, not just for the physics but also everything they've already put in there.

Looking at daisy, I dont feel like she's represented either. Sometimes you have to compromise a bit to get a little something.

I dont expect it, but that's the thing about playing with ideas, it's much more fun to speculate than always shut down people's ideas and say it cant work.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice

This is where I'm at too. Enjoy your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom