• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I mean, Bayonetta probably represents a great balance between listening to fans and incorporating a clear and present fan demand into something else you can work with. I've always considered her the marriage between fan demand and Nintendo pick as she benefits everyone involved. I don't think it really comes down to any "favoritism." I think Sakurai makes a wide range of choices and the choices behind Bayonetta just happened to have her be most popular in Europe it would seem. She certainly had quite a bit of demand around that period.

I think Bayonetta 2 would have been out for around 6 months or so going by when the Zero Suit Samus data in her character slot was found. But I mean, the Wii U era is so short that basically anything is relatively close to one another.

To be fair, none of the Pokemon would have been known as popular when Sakurai started working on Incineroar. They had chosen to include a Gen 7 Pokemon with the project plan and then Incineroar ended up the choice. If we go by how Greninja was picked, Sakurai likely just got the concept art and ideas behind the Gen 7 starters and ended up choosing Incineroar to make as a wrestling character. I think it's incredibly likely that Incineroar was picked before fans even knew of the starters and even if after, before they had enough time to solidify. I don't think Incineroar's a decision we can point to of him prioritizing his interest over fans or whatever you want. It's impossible to tell fan demand before something releases.

I think the veteran status has to be a bigger deal that that. Especially when those three were requested veterans and among the most lamented cuts of the Smash 4 era. They had a fan base well beyond their actual character because they had appeared in Smash before. The only new character for Smash that they actually included was Corrin, and well, many people in this thread continue to voice their vocal distaste for that character.

But having been over the issue of third parties versus first parties many times at this point, I'll just say this. Sakurai has done an amazing job ensuring that basically every major franchise is well represented in Smash, and many smaller ones as well. There's an extremely short list of missing franchises and about an equally short list of major characters with multiple appearances that are considered the "A or B list" characters. The hype factor comes down to the diminishing returns of increasingly obscure and less notable characters. Getting characters like Ridley and King K. Rool put us one step closer to having the primary first parties that people want. Third parties appeal to much wider demographics and can absolutely be high ranking characters in perpetuity for all intensive purposes. There's such a massive number to pull from that are much, much more well known than a highly specific pick like say, Mach Rider. It's not that the first parties aren't hype, it's just they're less hype in many instances.

I think Minecraft deserves a better reputation than Avatar given just how much more it has done for games in essentially creating/popularizing an entire genre and being an excellent tool kit for people interested in creating. There's just an overall inherent quality to Minecraft that has generally been very consistent and hasn't relied upon the past (Which Avatar basically does in regards to plot, character, etc.).
Alright first , I apologize for the late reply , was kinda busy as of late.

I understand your point.
It's true that I underestimated the veteran statut. Especially for Lucas and Roy. Heck , kinda silly of me to underestimate that , I wanted back the Ice Climbers so bad , and I predicted Wolf back in March 2018.

And yeah , I think Sakurai has done a pretty good job with representing everything as best as he can. (Not perfectly , as best as he can. Even if I still find some details a bit weird.)
Truly , most game developpers couldn't do that.

And I understand that big 3rd party names are going to cover a wider audience. (And I could maybe consider some indies , I still think Shantae and Shovel Knight are very big names that could sell well as DLC. Granted , they are already in the game... And besides Quote , I don't see a big indie. (Minecraft is weird.))

My main issue with 3rd party character is that they are supposed to be ground breaking.
I think every 3rd party did that well , except Bayonetta (and I love her) and Joker.

Was the reception good ? I think it was mixed for Bayonetta. Some loved her , others hated her. (mainly because of the fighter ballot to some extent)
For Joker... I'm gonna be honest , I truly feel like it was either you love him , or you can't give a **** about him. I didn't saw any outright hate toward him , only love from P5 fans , some "Wow , he look so damn cool !" and "I'm happy for the fans I guess".

But not a "OH MY GOD IT'S JOKER". And by that , I mean that it wasn't a "OH MY GOD IT'S SONIC , MARIO'S ETERNAL RIVAL ! THE MARIO VS SONIC DREAM MATCH-UP IS FINALLY TRUE !"
Heck , someone who is not a big video game guy would have said "Wow , it's Sonic !".

Snake was also ground breaking. While not as popular within non-gamers , he's iconic , was the first 3rd party ever , and was a completely different character from anyone on the roster.

And when I look at the 3rd party remaining...

I honestly don't see a single name would could reproduce this kind of hype anymore.

Well , yes , Banjo , Crash...

Or I dunno , maybe I'm just lost when it come to Smash's demographic.
I see name like Ryu Hayabusa , Heihachi , Erdrick , Steve , Doom Guy ... And I simply can't get excited.

I just honestly think that a new character in Smash should bring more than... A new character in Smash.
That's why I think Joker wasn't a smart pick. Even if was interested in P5 , I would need to pick up a PS4 or play the spin-off on 3DS.
I just can't get interested in it's franchise since it's not available on Switch , the console Smash does marketing for.

That's also why I was a bit disappointed with Simon and Richter... Because no Castlevania on Switch. Heck , No MGS game either. But weirdly enough , that's Bomberman who got a game on Switch !

Heck , even Pac-Man at least had Ghostly Adventures on Wii U , and some arcade collection on 3DS.

You get my point about 3rd party , I don't think they are a very good choice if they are not ground breaking , and can't advertise their franchise correctly.

There's also the fact that I always saw Smash as way to give series a second chance , especially Nintendo franchises. Games I actually can buy and enjoy.
Not saying P5 is bad or anything... But it's not on Switch.

Maybe it's more personnal than anything , but discovering new franchises was always Smash's biggest magic to me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Writing can be super fun for sure. Believe it or not, I'm about to copyright a science-fiction novel I wrote. If I can get it published in the next year, I'll be giving out more details in case anyone's interested. I wrote in a rotating first-person format that feels akin to a movie. My hope is that it will one day become one. XD
It's nice to have enough ambition to think about adaptation already :)
I've only written short stories in the past, and still dont have enough confidence or persistence for a full story. I'd like that eventually though.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've never played a KH game and played a couple DQ games.

Can't say I really want either Sora or a DQ character that much and ma largely indifferent on both, but I'd rather have Erdrick based on how big and influencial DQ has been for JRPGs.

Firox

Smash Master
It's nice to have enough ambition to think about adaptation already :)
I've only written short stories in the past, and still dont have enough confidence or persistence for a full story. I'd like that eventually though.
If you ever want to write a full story, let me give you some advice about what I've learned. Firstly, make sure the characters are relate-able. This may sound obvious but you'd be amazed how many modern books, movies and TV shows churn out one Mary Sue after another. Nobody cares to read about a flawless character(s) unless there's a plot-specific reason why they are. Also, witty banter and interpersonal relationships are what make or break any story. Heck, the MCU was BUILT on these.

Secondly, pitch your plot ideas to a variety of different people. If you can peak their interests with just a taste, then you have a good story to pursue. If not, don't bother. A story could sound cool to you, but if nobody else finds it engaging, writing it could be more of a chore than you think.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If you ever want to write a full story, let me give you some advice about what I've learned. Firstly, make sure the characters are relate-able. This may sound obvious but you'd be amazed how many modern books, movies and TV shows churn out one Mary Sue after another. Nobody cares to read about a flawless character(s) unless there's a plot-specific reason why they are. Also, witty banter and interpersonal relationships are what make or break any story. Heck, the MCU was BUILT on these.

Secondly, pitch your plot ideas to a variety of different people. If you can peak their interests with just a taste, then you have a good story to pursue. If not, don't bother. A story could sound cool to you, but if nobody else finds it engaging, writing it could be more of a chore than you think.
Sure, not bad advice.
For me I'd focus more on if I enjoy seeing and writing the story. I dont have enough motivation if it's just 'good', I have to be invested in it to some degree myself. But of course some details I'd ask for feedback for improving, once I have the bulk of what I want down for myself. I already have some ideas for one that I want to try writing eventually, but im sure there's plenty of things that could be added that people would enjoy.

I do know that there'd be influence from games and anime somewhere, there's some good stuff that still hasn't be fully used. Not the case in japan tho, they have plenty of books inspired by other manga. Sometimes a little too much ;p

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't understand the Geno - Mii Gunner comparison for being an echo or clone.

Sure he can shoot bullets and a beam, but otherwise he has completely different moves.

I really don't see Sakurai and his team making a character a clone/echo of a mii fighter, that's just weird. I can see them using a Mii Fighter as a base for a character's model and maybe some moves, but even then the moves would be completely changed or something (but still based off some code), so it'd really just be for efficiency.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Sure, not bad advice.
For me I'd focus more on if I enjoy seeing and writing the story. I dont have enough motivation if it's just 'good', I have to be invested in it to some degree myself. But of course some details I'd ask for feedback for improving, once I have the bulk of what I want down for myself. I already have some ideas for one that I want to try writing eventually, but im sure there's plenty of things that could be added that people would enjoy.

I do know that there'd be influence from games and anime somewhere, there's some good stuff that still hasn't be fully used. Not the case in japan tho, they have plenty of books inspired by other manga. Sometimes a little too much ;p
Of course you'd have influence from games and anime! That's the best kind! Honestly, my own novel, though original in its own right, was inspired heavily by Code Geass, Gundam, Star Trek, Passengers, Ender's Game and Arrival with nods and easter eggs for almost every other science fiction movie you can imagine. Basically, in my humble opinion, it's a love letter to the sci fi genre in general. But yeah, you're right, you really have to WANT to write it in order to have the drive to make it good.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Oh , about that Geno can be echo talk...

I understand why you all talk about that , it's just to bring more interesting discussion.

But not gonna lie , it would be a damn slap to the face for me.
We talked to death how long people have waited for him , how his situation was stupidly bad in term of legal rights , and how unique he is as... A MARIO CHARACTER.

I understand , he has a an arm gun , just like Gunner and Mega Man.
But he also has Rocket punches , elbow bullets , finger bullet , all of his star warrior magic , and my favorite... Pulling items out of his hat.
Seriously , he's the only one to do that. Not even Mario do it.
Just , picture him moving around with a maple syrup under his hat , and him falling of just to see all the maple syrup on his face... Wait , since he's made of wood , that could be bad.

Well uh , getting back to topic.
I don't feel like a Geno echo would be very interesting. That's just my personnal point of view tho.

I think Geno using the weapons of others SMRPG characters would be better. Or heck , I think Mallow's thunder magic would fit.
After all , Ness and Lucas use a ton of PK/PSI moves from Paula and Kumatora , why not a similar idea with Geno ?

----

And woooowie , lot of DQ and KH talk...

I'm honestly starting to doubt any SE rep getting in , since the leaks are so damn... Nothing. They are predictions. Just like ours.

And Brave is like , the most generic codename ever.
Heck , I could make a case for Al from "The Legend of Dark Witch" beeing Brave , since she's the protagonist of "Brave Dungeon".
I could also point out the fact that most DW are a bit smaller than usuals humans , so she could be at the same height as Mario.

Also isn't Brave supposed to be a zoner ?(I never saw proof of this lol) Well , she has a ton of ice magic bullets.
Also the shield beeing wider... Well she use her scythe in her guard pose in Brave Dungeon , so it also work.

I bull****ed this in about 10 minutes.

My point about Brave is that it's too generic for us to determine who it could be. Hence why it's a good codename.

Heck , remember Jack ?
Yeah , totally everyone linked him to Jack Frost , then to Joker. Yeah...

Honestly , give me a good reason to believe any SE character is likely.
Or , better question , why a SE character is likely , considering all the harsh competition within other 3rd parties and Nintendo properties ?
You know , characters that would sell just as well. And would also introduce to new franchises/games and shtick...

This is personnal , but Iv'e just accepted one thing that everyone forgot about Joker reveal "I didn't saw it coming".
Predicting Sakurai is impossible.

Granted , we have some stuff to use , like Nintendo making the selection...
But it's also their first time chosing Smash DLC. + Wasn't it with the new NoJ president ?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the next codename is "Ravioli".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh , about that Geno can be echo talk...

I understand why you all talk about that , it's just to bring more interesting discussion.

But not gonna lie , it would be a damn slap to the face for me.
We talked to death how long people have waited for him , how his situation was stupidly bad in term of legal rights , and how unique he is as... A MARIO CHARACTER.

I understand , he has a an arm gun , just like Gunner and Mega Man.
But he also has Rocket punches , elbow bullets , finger bullet , all of his star warrior magic , and my favorite... Pulling items out of his hat.
Seriously , he's the only one to do that. Not even Mario do it.
Just , picture him moving around with a maple syrup under his hat , and him falling of just to see all the maple syrup on his face... Wait , since he's made of wood , that could be bad.

Well uh , getting back to topic.
I don't feel like a Geno echo would be very interesting. That's just my personnal point of view tho.

I think Geno using the weapons of others SMRPG characters would be better. Or heck , I think Mallow's thunder magic would fit.
After all , Ness and Lucas use a ton of PK/PSI moves from Paula and Kumatora , why not a similar idea with Geno ?

----

And woooowie , lot of DQ and KH talk...

I'm honestly starting to doubt any SE rep getting in , since the leaks are so damn... Nothing. They are predictions. Just like ours.

And Brave is like , the most generic codename ever.
Heck , I could make a case for Al from "The Legend of Dark Witch" beeing Brave , since she's the protagonist of "Brave Dungeon".
I could also point out the fact that most DW are a bit smaller than usuals humans , so she could be at the same height as Mario.

Also isn't Brave supposed to be a zoner ?(I never saw proof of this lol) Well , she has a ton of ice magic bullets.
Also the shield beeing wider... Well she use her scythe in her guard pose in Brave Dungeon , so it also work.

I bull****ed this in about 10 minutes.

My point about Brave is that it's too generic for us to determine who it could be. Hence why it's a good codename.

Heck , remember Jack ?
Yeah , totally everyone linked him to Jack Frost , then to Joker. Yeah...

Or , better question , why a SE character is likely , considering all the harsh competition within other 3rd parties and Nintendo properties ?
You know , characters that would sell just as well. And would also introduce to new franchises/games and shtick...

This is personnal , but Iv'e just accepted one thing that everyone forgot about Joker reveal "I didn't saw it coming".
Predicting Sakurai is impossible.

Granted , we have some stuff to use , like Nintendo making the selection...
But it's also their first time chosing Smash DLC. + Wasn't it with the new NoJ president ?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the next codename is "Ravioli".
Before the release of ultimate, there were a lot of people talking against verge's claim that Incineroar and Ken were going to be in the game, including myself. I thought exactly like you and some others here, that it's just talk and maybe he only got lucky to get simon, isabelle, ridley and all the others. But you know what happened, and lots of people were very disappointed, not just because of that but also the grinch stuff, which he was adamant that it was fake.

I changed my mind about verge since then, and even though I dont believe anything he says, i give it more weight, because even though he's an asshole, he's earned some credit. He then lost a bit when he made assumptions about the feb direct, but it turned out it was based on bad info, not his main sources.

I have no problem with holding out and being skeptical, I'm always skeptical of anything, but I I don't recommend ignoring possibilities that have real chances. Just because they exist doesn't mean they'll happen or that there's no reason to be open to different, and there's always more to the truth of things anyway.

For some reason I feel Sora has a real chance too. We havent heard too much stuff about him tho. I do wonder if maybe getting involved with disney would be too much, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because bringing Cloud back was a ***** apparently. SE wanted him to return as DLC apparently.
In theory it makes sense for it to satisfy both parties. Another reason for Nintendo to push the 'Everyone is Here!' mantra and a reason for Square to make an extra quick buck by offering/fulfilling the request of 2 characters. One in base and one as DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It's really hard to contain myself rn and not derail the whole goddamn thread.
I mean... holy ****. I'm just so happy.
Even though I haven't played FF7, it does look pretty cool and I'm happy for the people who wanted it :)

But I honestly didn't expect it lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
At least now we can finally confirm that there is a god
It took them so freaking long, honestly. I'm not even a fan of FF7 personally, and I'm ecstatic to see the trailer drop with promises for June (probably E3) info. I know so many people who love this game like I love Sonic Adventure 2, which means... a whole hell of a lot. It makes me SO happy.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The trailer looked good and all. Still very skeptical though.

hate to be a danny downer but outside of Octopath (which had a different team behind it than FF) SE hasn't exactly given me much reason to have faith.

I hope at the very least that if they're going to action RPG route again they make it much different than FFXV. because yuck that game's gameplay

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Erdrick really is coming to Smash, I really hope Nintendo has enough sense not to reveal him at E3. As big as a cultural phenomenon Dragon Quest is in Japan, it just isn't that well known in the West. And if I'm not mistaken, E3 is a pretty Western experience. If the were smart they'd try to sneak him in a Fall direct or in a Japanese event like jump festa or something. Showing off Erdrick at E3 would just feel tone deaf, and Nintendo has been kinda good at not being that lately.
Love the profile picture, man.
If you have a Gameshark Pro, you can save some N64 files over. I'd do that with Quest 64 at least. OOT is debatable if you need to. I found it a fairly easy game to get everything for. At least compared to Quest 64, which is a huge grind. I'd never remove a file of that if I can help it. Same with Super Mario 64, as I copied over my save file after some issues happened. I was able to restore the entire set of data. I don't know if you can literally copy memory card data over, but it's still worth it. That's a lot of hard work, after all~

(BTW, I did make a Quest 64 thread, but there's also a Brian support topic if it's of interest to you. They're both among my sig. Also, OOT is a great game. I'd suggest trying out a randomizer. I've been working on ideas for a Quest 64 randomizer, but it's pretty difficult with how the game is designed... due to really bad programming ideas).

Speaking of lost data, some of my old Gameboy games lost their data. My poor Pokemon Crystal... though I kind of go through Red a different way now, with the Monster Brain. I'm kind of thankful for emulation cause you can copy saves a bit easier.
I swear, I remember getting another Nintendo 64 console/bundle in 2006 and it came with five games, one of them being Quest 64. I haven't played Q64 since 2006, but I still have it up on my shelf. I actually remember deleting my sister's saved data on Super Mario 64 back in 2002, and it had all 120 stars... when she found out, oh, she was pissed. 9 years later, I was nice enough to get all those stars back for her on our old SM64 cartridge, and she was very happy.
While i used to stay up late all the time, having a job where i wake up before 6:30am every day has conditioned me to going to bed earlier even if I’m off the next day.
That and I’m too old now to stay up late and not feel lousy the next day :c
That's a good point lol. Usually on days off, I stay up until about 1 or 1:30, but on days I go to sleep past that time, it really catches up to you a few hours later.
And here I'm wishing I could go back to those days where I stayed up past 2 AM playing Xbox all night.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Characters I'll pay for include: Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Sephiroth (in a nanosecond), Sora, Dixie, any Pokemon left that I like (sceptile, Gengar, Decidueye, etc) or MAYBE an unforseen character that tickles my fancy. Otherwise, they can pucker up and plant one right on my shiny metal ***. I fully respect if any of you get picks you want like Erdrick, etc. but I won't reward something I don't like. That's just me. "I draw the line HERE! NO FURTHER!"
Sephiroth would be so fun. If we were to get another FF7 character, I hope it's him. Think of all the great soundtracks he'd bring with him:
Those Chosen by the Planet (Remix), Jenova, Jenova Absolute, Birth of a God, One-Winged Angel (Original), One-Winged Angel (Advent Children), and maybe the One-Winged Angel soundtrack from the FF7 remake. Now, I wonder what his stage would be...
It's really hard to contain myself rn and not derail the whole goddamn thread.
I mean... holy ****. I'm just so happy.
Same, man. Nothing could've made my day better except for a new FF7 remake trailer after almost 4 years. I'm so excited to see more news in June.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Do you just hate KH? lol That's just a very strong sentiment. I personally like the series though I still haven't played KH3. I'd personally be more ok with Sora than Erdrick as a character at the very least just to see if they put in Disney characters as spirits. Because that'd just be funny to me.
Let it be known on this day that Geno appeared in Kingdom Hearts 3 as a heartless before he appeared in Smash
1557468346979.png

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sephiroth would be so fun. If we were to get another FF7 character, I hope it's him. Think of all the great soundtracks he'd bring with him:
Those Chosen by the Planet (Remix), Jenova, Jenova Absolute, Birth of a God, One-Winged Angel (Original), One-Winged Angel (Advent Children), and maybe the One-Winged Angel soundtrack from the FF7 remake. Now, I wonder what his stage would be...

Same, man. Nothing could've made my day better except for a new FF7 remake trailer after almost 4 years. I'm so excited to see more news in June.
I'd honestly be a lot more open to the idea of Sephiroth if his sword wasn't literally half the size of FD in-canon. I know they can tone it down, obviously, but at that point, he'd honestly feel more fitting as a boss character.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
*Sees remarks that Geno would make a good Mii Gunner Echo*

*Flashes back to the Brawl Speculation Days where opponents of Mega Man argued that he was not nearly as unique as supporters claimed and would only be a clone of Samus at best, and the primary reason for that was Samus being the only other character with an ARM CANNON*

We must NEVER return to those dark days, my friends, where we narrow-mindedly determine that a character's uniqueness is limited based only on a single weapon they happen to share with another character while ignoring the rest of the kit they possess in their home games. People literally claimed that Mega Man would be a clone of Samus merely because they both had ARM CANNONS. At that rate, all fist-fighters are clones and all sword fighters are clones because they used the same weapons.

Geno has finger bullets, which would operate like Bayonetta's and Joker's guns, an arm cannon which shoots small cannon balls (or large bullets) from his elbow, an arm laser beam (which most people refer to as the arm cannon but it's different, however it is the model used for the Mii costume), a FREAKING ROCKET PUNCH WHICH TOO MANY PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT (it's like the signature ability of the Geno doll. It's the one Gaz used to knock Mario out cold as part of the doll's introduction), the ability to rain cosmic lasers from the heavens, the ability to increase his offensive and defensive powers, the ability to toss a light disc that can deal critically high damage, the ability to shapeshift into a giant cannon and fire a ball of pure devastation at his targets, and the ability to shoot stars as his opponents (not Star Bits, STARS).

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
So what is the likelihood we’ll have something mentioned about smrpg this Monday by Nintendo?

It’s of course slim that Nintendo could drop a direct showing a geno reveal(but I’m still hoping) but maybe they might mention the game in some way.

If a direct DID drop, I suspect it’d be not just a smash focus one, but a reveal of something for the mario rpg series as a whole, perhaps a new paper mario tease? Snes game reveals for switch with smrpg leading? A new m&l game that finally is in 3d?

Those are of course big dreams, ones that Nintendo might instead save for e3(cept maybe the snes games, cuz we’ve been expecting that for awhile) but regardless of what happens, I have this feeling smrpg might get some sort of mention on Monday...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So what is the likelihood we’ll have something mentioned about smrpg this Monday by Nintendo?

It’s of course slim that Nintendo could drop a direct showing a geno reveal(but I’m still hoping) but maybe they might mention the game in some way.

If a direct DID drop, I suspect it’d be not just a smash focus one, but a reveal of something for the mario rpg series as a whole, perhaps a new paper mario tease? Snes game reveals for switch with smrpg leading? A new m&l game that finally is in 3d?

Those are of course big dreams, ones that Nintendo might instead save for e3(cept maybe the snes games, cuz we’ve been expecting that for awhile) but regardless of what happens, I have this feeling smrpg might get some sort of mention on Monday...
Eh, most I'm thinking is a tweet, if anything. I have no hopes or expectations for anything else. That said, I'll definitely be drawing something for the occasion!

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I think it'll at least get some sort of mention, even if it's just a tweet or another reference.

Eh, most I'm thinking is a tweet, if anything. I have no hopes or expectations for anything else. That said, I'll definitely be drawing something for the occasion!
Oooh, I can't wait. Since I suck at drawing I may do something else or just play SMRPG that day (and spam the thread with my playthrough of it :troll:).

Oh and I just though of something. Mallow in Geno's color scheme would be awesome.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Kind of a stretch to compare Geno to this NPC. Unless it's a Sora fan's fantasy to pummel him lol
Lol bro it's an old school style wooden toy puppet who wears a hat and who's whole thing in game is to literally posses other toys/puppets. Think it's pretty obviously a Geno reference. Also isn't that the fantasy of everyone in you know... a fighting game? XD

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Lol bro it's an old school style wooden toy puppet who wears a hat and who's whole thing in game is to literally posses other toys/puppets. Think it's pretty obviously a Geno reference. Also isn't that the fantasy of everyone in you know... a fighting game? XD
I mean that sounds like more of a reference to puppets controlling others than anything else. Maybe of the puppet enemy had guns in its hands or beam weapons it’d be more clear as to whether it’s actually referencing Geno. And lol people want Geno in a fighting game to play as him not beat him up. Like, do you want Sora in Smash just to beat the **** out of him?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

We’re not getting anything big til the E3 period. Even if we’re getting Geno as the next character, they’ve clearly committed to a reveal at E3 but not previously announcing the character or even hinting at the future of Smash characters. The absolute best we might see is something specific to Super Mario Maker 2 or Fire Emblem since they’re close to release, but we should not really actively expect anything til E3 is in full swing. Certainly any new game announcements will be saved for that Direct given how they’ve played out the past few months.

At best, we get a happy anniversary for Super Mario RPG. But I’m mostly expecting silence from Nintendo on most things for the immediate future. E3 is just a month away and they’ve covered an absolute ton of stuff in the past few months.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I wasn't aware that everg marionette ever was a reference to Geno.

You got me. Nothing thematically of this enemy reminds me of Geno. I can only assume the idea that most Sora fans want it to be an omage to Geno is so you can kill wave after wave of it.

It just isn't how it works man. Lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We’re not getting anything big til the E3 period. Even if we’re getting Geno as the next character, they’ve clearly committed to a reveal at E3 but not previously announcing the character or even hinting at the future of Smash characters. The absolute best we might see is something specific to Super Mario Maker 2 or Fire Emblem since they’re close to release, but we should not really actively expect anything til E3 is in full swing. Certainly any new game announcements will be saved for that Direct given how they’ve played out the past few months.

At best, we get a happy anniversary for Super Mario RPG. But I’m mostly expecting silence from Nintendo on most things for the immediate future. E3 is just a month away and they’ve covered an absolute ton of stuff in the past few months.
Considering Ryu and Roy were revealed like a week before e3 instead of there, I wouldn't pin anything on nintendo doing what might make sense ;p

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Considering Ryu and Roy were revealed like a week before e3 instead of there, I wouldn't pin anything on nintendo doing what might make sense ;p
Nintendo is unpredictable as heck. For all we know, Erdrick is coming later on and Brave is actually Sandbag, ready to rumble for the first time.

Sandbag for Smash.

The more I joke about it, the more I unironically start to want it...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nintendo is unpredictable as heck. For all we know, Erdrick is coming later on and Brave is actually Sandbag, ready to rumble for the first time.

Sandbag for Smash.

The more I joke about it, the more I unironically start to want it...
I'm not worried. If something happens, it is what it is. But im still expecting the bulk of all the news we want to know (one way or another) within this month and june. crossing my fingers for the 3rd dlc reveal too.

sandbag was in Rivals of Aether, that was funny, though I think it was only in a beta build for an april's fools. Was still fun.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
lol people want Geno in a fighting game to play as him not beat him up. Like, do you want Sora in Smash just to beat the **** out of him?
I didn't mean Geno specifically I meant just any character in general, Smash is a fighting game you play fighting games to beat the **** out of other characters in them that's like the whole draw of fighting games.

I wasn't aware that everg marionette ever was a reference to Geno.
I would agree with the logic of this comment if not for two things one both designs look very similar not exact but very similar. Secondly we're talking about two SQUARE ENIX characters if it was any other company who made the character I said looks like Geno that argument would actually make sense but it's not we're talking about two characters owned by the same company. It's incredibly likely they are a reference to Geno like it or not. Also When I made my original comment my whole point was that it's ****ty that the actual game people ACTUALLY want to see Geno in still hasn't given fans what they want. Only for them to put a reference to him in a completely different series no one was ever even asking for him to show up/referenced in, expecting people not to draw a connection which is kinda ****ed on Square's part.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I know I keep repeating this, but I'm pretty confident that Geno will be in and I don't think it's more likely that we'll get the Mii costume.

And even for the Mii costume, I don't think it's returning. I think either we get nothing or Geno is playable, and I'm leaning towards the latter.
I havent given up either, and I find your optimism refreshing. In fact, I'm pretty confident myself, albeit cautious.

I'm curious as someone who is also confident (I feel we're the minority) how are you feeling in regards to not Erdrick, cause that's been discussed to death, but other square reps?

As much as I sincerely envision Geno making it, I see someone like Sora or Luminary or even something else as a large hurdler, or at least something not to be underestimated.

Essentially what keeps you seemingly consistently optimistic ?

D

Deleted member

I havent given up either, and I find your optimism refreshing. In fact, I'm pretty confident myself, albeit cautious.

I'm curious as someone who is also confident (I feel we're the minority) how are you feeling in regards to not Erdrick, cause that's been discussed to death, but other square reps?

As much as I sincerely envision Geno making it, I see someone like Sora or Luminary or even something else as a large hurdler, or at least something not to be underestimated.

Essentially what keeps you seemingly consistently optimistic ?
Thank you! :)

It's pretty much Sakurai saying he wants him in, the SMRPG references and nudges like the NoA tweet about a year ago, the HQ trivia quiz the night of the VGAs, the Yoshi's Craft reference, and the Megasmilax in the Piranha Plant Palutena's guidance, them having the rights to Geno (and Mallow) in the Ultimate base game and likely having rights to SMRPG content for the game overall, and SMRPG being added to the SNES Classic.

This is all in addition with just not giving up. Ridley fans didn't give up even after Sakurai said it was impossible to add him, and K Rool fans didn't give up when Nintendo neglected him, and both these characters' fans didn't give up after so many people told them they wouldn't happen. So I don't think there's anything pointing to Geno not being in the game, but, even if there was, I wouldn't just give up. Likely or unlikely is one thing, but giving up completely is another. For instance, I'm confident Geno will be in this pass, but if he isn't, I think he'll be unlikely for a wave 2 or future DLC. But I wouldn't say "he's dead there's no more hope." I would think he's unlikely, yes, but I wouldn't give up. 'Cause the moment you give up, the even lower chance the character has of appearing.

This is pretty much why I'm confident about Geno, even though many others aren't.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thank you! :)

It's pretty much Sakurai saying he wants him in, the SMRPG references and nudges like the NoA tweet about a year ago, the HQ trivia quiz the night of the VGAs, the Yoshi's Craft reference, and the Megasmilax in the Piranha Plant Palutena's guidance, them having the rights to Geno (and Mallow) in the Ultimate base game and likely having rights to SMRPG content for the game overall, and SMRPG being added to the SNES Classic.

This is all in addition with just not giving up. Ridley fans didn't give up even after Sakurai said it was impossible to add him, and K Rool fans didn't give up when Nintendo neglected him, and both these characters' fans didn't give up after so many people told them they wouldn't happen. So I don't think there's anything pointing to Geno not being in the game, but, even if there was, I wouldn't just give up. Likely or unlikely is one thing, but giving up completely is another. For instance, I'm confident Geno will be in this pass, but if he isn't, I think he'll be unlikely for a wave 2 or future DLC. But I wouldn't say "he's dead there's no more hope." I would think he's unlikely, yes, but I wouldn't give up. 'Cause the moment you give up, the even lower chance the character has of appearing.

This is pretty much why I'm confident about Geno, even though many others aren't.
I'm rather pessimistic and have accepted that Geno is likely not happening at this point, but despite that, I'll never give up either. I will always root for my boy and try to be a positive pillar for not only Geno's fans, but also for our position in the Smash fandom. I know it's a lofty goal for just one person to try to improve the Geno fan base as a whole, along with outside perception (which is understandably muddied due to some bad apples), but... gosh darn it, I'm gonna try! People are so free to dislike the character, but I hope we can find peace with other people instead of remaining as the fan base that is 'hated'. It sucks that me liking Geno has resulted in people automatically judging me without basing their conjecture on my own personal merits. A lot of Geno's fans get heckled nowadays, and I'd love to fight that hatred with positivity and acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom